Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Real World MPG Numbers

Comments

• hdfxdwghdfxdwg Member Posts: 6
    I got a 2003 1500hd 4x4 crewcab short bed I have had it 2 years intown driving 10.7 average highway 14.8 running 65 ot 70 mph also I tow a enclosed 20ft trailer weight 6210 lbs running 65 or 70 I get an average 8.5 mpg I have 265/85/16 tires on it. Truck has 138,000 miles on it now . If anyone has any suggestion how to improve mpg I would be very Thankful also it is geared 3.73

ps. I had a 03 2500hd extended cab 2 wheel drive got 13 town 17 highway and 10.4 towing same trailer it was geared 410 kind of wished i kept this truck only swap because of the 4x4 thing.

steve in alabama
  • dad00dad00 Member Posts: 3
  • dad00dad00 Member Posts: 3
    I hear you Steve,

I traded my 2001 2x4 5.3 Sierra non locked rear diff (3:42) for thew 05 4x4 and 6L engine with locked 3:73 to get 4x4 and a bit more towing capacity. The 01 got 20-20 mpg and 13-15 towing. Kinda screwed myself there. On the plus side we are having another one of those winters up in my part of Canada. 4x4 sure makes the driving easier. Now if we can find a couple of ways to up the mileage on the current ones.
  • scott124scott124 Member Posts: 1
    I drive 3000 miles per month( mostly highway),.would like to buy a 2008 2500 4X4. What can I expect for MPG?
  • ocautoseekerocautoseeker Member Posts: 425
    2008 2wd ext cab / 5.3L / 3.73 Rear / 15k miles

I have a heavy foot and do 50/50 driving: 15 mpg consistent.
  • bkerchakbkerchak Member Posts: 9
    2007 New Style 2wd ext. cab / 4.8l / 3.23 rear / 22,000

I get 16 city and 21 highway ... better mpg in the summer and fall... in winter and spring it drops a couple of mpg... I think it has to do with living outside of Philly and the gas mixture that is sold in and around cities to prevent pollution...
  • cac4cac4 Member Posts: 11
    My new truck has been a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. It is a 08 1500 ext cab 4.8L / 3.43 rear / 26000 k / amsoil / tonneau cover / 4x4. It has been in for service 5 times. trans housing / trans seals / body molds / and now mpg. I am the 2nd owner and when I got it with 17 k the best I got was 418 for a tank. Now after its been to the dlr the best i can get is 360 to a tank. I live in MI and drive like im 90 (im 25) and use reg gas and never over 70 on the e-way. Is it just me or is this some bad mpg. ??? Should have bought that damn toyota. I try to help out my state and this is what I get. :(
    I am looking to see what everyone else is getting per tank. On the new model 1500 with the 26 gal. I can only get 360. I talked to a guy at work and he says he gets 450. Is he full of it, or is my truck a junker?? Please reply so I can go to the dlr with some solid info....Thanks
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    I just got my 09 1500 crew cab LTZ 4X4 5.3 3.42 gears and a tonneau cover. With only 500 miles on it so far. Filled it twice and got 19.2 and 18.4. I'm interested if anyone has this combo and what kind of mileage they may be getting after 5 or 10K. Did it get better after break in? So far I'm very pleased...first pickup in over 20 years.
  • bkerchakbkerchak Member Posts: 9
    I have an o7 new body style with 4.8 and 3.23 rear with 26 gallon tank and I just averaged about 17 mpg mostly suburbs and highway driving back and forth to work with my last tank full...it is possible to get 400 to 440 out of a tank if you set the cruise on the highway and drive with a light foot on city like driving
    I will visit in, but I traded my pos chevy in and got a ford. I am a chevy fan, but my latest experience has changed my mind. I wish everyone the best of luck with your gm and hopefully dont have the problems I had.
  • buttermilkbuttermilk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 2wd extended cab with 5.3L v8 that now has 194K miles on it.

I routinely get 18 mpg here in Tulsa, OK area driving 30 miles one way to work. On the highway on long trips I have gotten above 20 mpg consistantly. Best I've done is 21.8 mpg on a trip to Texas a couple of years ago, and that was driving 73-77 mph, and NOT using the cruise control (I get better mpg w/o using the cruise....due to the way I drive....). On that trip, most of the gas contained 10% ethanol too. That trip average MPG was 20.0 MPG, including some city driving as well.

I don't have the AFM on my truck and was hoping that with AFM (I want to get a new truck soon...) that I'd get even better mileage.

I also owned a 2000 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 with 3.73 gears that would do almost as good on the gas mileage. It was a regular cab, short bed truck. Best I ever got with it was 23 mpg (211 miles on 9.0 gallons of gas). On a return trip from Colorado a few years ago, I averaged 20.5 mpg and for the whole trip I went 1941 miles on 101 gallons of gas for a 19.2 MPG average.

Makes me wonder if the newer trucks are really getting any better fuel mileage, even with AFM.

Regards,
    Rog
  • hutch54hutch54 Member Posts: 1
    Ok....After reading all the post of the gas MPG of the Chevy trucks everyone is complaining about.
    Well to tell all...I have 3 chevy trucks, One is a 2001 1500 ext cab 4.8L with 290K, Still get 20mpg doing a commute 0f 200 miles over mountian pass everday. My suburban's 1500 4x4 5.3L, well they have gotten up to 23.8mpg.

The MPG on my trucks and other chevy trucks I hvave driven can be done easy.
    Don't start off the line like it the drags, do not use the cruise control, and most for the tucks stay under 65. the Sub's 4x4 speed if under 62 will get the most.

Oh, yeah ,,,my brother has a Toyota...gets 15 mpg, and his Ford 1/2 ton 4x4 gets 12mpg.

I will stay with Chevy's
  • eck_95z71eck_95z71 Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 95 GMC Sierra Z71 with an old school fuel injected 350 with LS1 heads, a k&n intake and poweraid throttle body. Even tho its the original engine(minus the heads) and has more than 188,000 miles, it recently dynoed at 394 ponies. I mostly drive hiway and gravel roads and its been gettin close to 21 mpg and around 19 in town. My question to all you GM guys out there is how come the newer, lighter, mostly aluminum engines with better power ratings get worse mileage? My father owns a 96 Silverado as a daily driver and averages 17 mpg hiway with the 5.7 Vortec. This just shows how a few mods which cost close to nothing (bought heads from friend who totalled 01 Z28 for $50) can repeatedly show results on the hiway and still has the power to tear up my 33 inch BFG"s in the mud!
  • 2doorpost2doorpost Member Posts: 74
    2008 Longbed 1/2 ton - no a/c with the V6.

Windows up or down on the freeway- 20MPG.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    fo sho
  • farmboy11farmboy11 Member Posts: 1
    We just got a 2009 GMC sierra crew cab with tonneau cover 5.3L 4X4 and have 2600 KMs on it(1200 Mi). We are getting between 11 and 12 miles to the gallon.Will it get any better as we get more miles on it? Not very happy right now.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Break in period for the motor is around 5K miles. You should get better mileage at that point. I remember I had a 2008 Malibu rental with 200 miles on it and it had 11-12 mpg which is outrageous for a 4 banger.
  • maybe1maybe1 Member Posts: 2
    i own a 2008 silverado 1500. when it was first bought it got 22-24 mpg. now i'm lucky to get 13. it started after the first time i put it in 4wd. i've changed the plugs, air filter, and do frequent oil changes. i've taken it to the dealer and they "supposedly" didnt find anything. anyone else having that problem?
  • asylum575asylum575 Member Posts: 72
    If it were an older truck, I would say your front hubs are locked out. The older trucks had manual locking hubs, then they went to "on the fly". With the "on the fly", you had to drive in reverse about 15feet after shifting back to 4x2 to release the hubs. The new 4x4 are truly shift in the fly. I'd be curious if the hubs are still locked. It would be very noticable driving it. You would feel it in the steering. Your front tires would wear out relatively quickly on dry pavement.
    The drop from 22MPG to 12MPG sounds like the difference you would see in 4x4.

Keep us posted.
  • maybe1maybe1 Member Posts: 2
  • mike537mike537 Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2010
    hello I own a 4.3L short bed silverado work truck with the 5 speed. When the truck was new (4250 lbs) my real life mileage was around 19-20 average mpg. The worst I ever recorded was 16, and the best was 23.5 with all highway driving at 60mph.

Now I have upgraded the rear end from 3.23 to 3.90 and installed a supercharger. My average gas mileage with the supercharger was 16.5 mpg just highway. I then added an intercooler and took off 300lbs of weight and my total city/hwy averages 18mpg. On a full highway trip I will average 23mpg with this setup at 60mph. But I can also drain a full tank of gas in less than 2 hours if I'm really on the gas with this setup, the worst I have gotten was 11 mpg all city driving with a lead foot.

The stock 3.23 (or even 3.42) gears for the v6 truck in my opinion does hurt gas mileage. These trucks are not aerodynamic, and any driving above 60mph will start to decrease mileage significantly. Problem is when they add a 3.23 rear the v6 truck is taching around 1500rpms in overdrive, and there is too much throttle work needed to maintain your speed up hills and in traffic. Chevy would have done better with either a 3.08 rear so it would tach low enough (1100-1200rpms) to make up for the greater throttle play, or something like a 3.73 rear so no throttle movement would be needed cruising at 60mph.

Chevy could easily get a 26-27 highway mpg rating in their base model shortbed trucks if they offered a belt driven supercharged/intercooled v6 with a 3.23 rear and a 6 speed manual (with double overdrive). But they will never spend the money to do this.
    edited November 2010
    actually the turbo efficiency idea is not that it makes more power ]to move the truck easier. This is because when you see the highest mileage with the turbo you're not going to be under boost. What makes it more efficient is the slightly greater volume of air coming in at lower rpms vs. stock. This leans out the air/fuel mixture (which is usually corrected for in the tune), and the higher volume of air is what allows for a turbo engine to create a more dense air/fuel charge.

for example if your car got 20 mpg, you add a turbo and no intercooler, you would be lucky to see 15mpg. So you can see it isn't the turbo or the extra power, it's simply the extra air coming in while under vacuum (not boost). What you do with that air in terms of cooling and tuning is what generates the extra efficiency.
    edited November 2010
    hutch, your 4x4 suburban does not get 24 mpg on the highway.

The best mileaged 4x4 suburban is the new 5.3L 4x4 with 3.08's and the double overdrive, on the highway it gets 21mpg, 22 is great driving, 23 is stretching the truth but perhaps possible, 24 is [non-permissible content removed]. The 2wd tahoe hybrids don't get much more than 22 hwy. Fullsize 2wd pickups with the 5.3 and 6speed get at best 22mpg. S10 4.3L's with the same 3.08's get 26mpg at best. you are full of [non-permissible content removed].
  • bansterbanster Member Posts: 3
    I also agree there is no way you can get 23-24 mpg with a 4x4 suburban!!
    I also don't think your brother gets 12 mpg with his 1/2 ton ford unless he runs the nuts off of it, seeing as mine gets 18 mpg!
  • daddyb25daddyb25 Member Posts: 1
    well i have a 07 chevy silverado, crew cab with the 5.3, im getting 12-13 mpg, i actully just took it to the dealer today and they say its fine ugh how do u get better mpg out of these trucks, this is rediculas!!!
  • nargnarg Member Posts: 112
    Hi all, I'm trading in a 2000 Silverado Ext Cab with the older 5.3L V8 that would easily get 21 to 22 MPG highway driving (though my wife got 24 MPG once or twice, no tailwind either!) for a new 2011 Silverado 5.3L Crew Cab.

I attribute most of the over 20 MPG rating to a hard bed cover. It was a 4 piece folding cover that I loved. I plan to get the 3 piece cover that GM offers via the dealerships, but in a few months after I swallow the Tag/Title/Tax costs first.
  • travelchevetravelcheve Member Posts: 1
    Im having the same problem did you ever get it figured out?
    im only geting 11 mpg in town and 13-14 on highway. they say nothing is wrong.
  • aaroncorpusaaroncorpus Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 silverado used to get 18.5MPG HWY, and 13.5MPG city, but now I get 11.5MPG city, and 15.5MPG HWY. Took to dealer and they were no help, said could find no problems with truck, I think we got a big lemon! The only reason I bought this truck was because of the better MPG, I'll never buy a Chevy ever again unless this porblem can be fixed?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    travelcheve,
    The best fuel economy possible is the direct result of proper maintenance and good driving habits. Listed below are GM's recommendations to achieve the best mileage possible. The first group are things to consider for your vehicle, while the second are tips relating to your driving habits.

One of the major contributors to poor fuel economy are under inflated tires. Tires low with pressure create drag that the vehicle’s powertrain must overcome, wasting dollars in fuel. Always keep your tires inflated to the proper pressure as shown on the vehicle placard. This not only serves to increase gas mileage but cuts down on tire wear, further decreasing your costs per mile.

A vehicle that has a dirty air filter can’t efficiently draw air into the engine. This restriction forces the engine to expend energy to "breathe" wasting fuel in the process. Change recommendations are found in your vehicle Owner’s Manual.

Always use the proper viscosity oil in your engine. Oil that has a higher than required viscosity will create more drag on the internal components of the engine causing more work for it, especially when cold. Each Owner’s Manual contains information on the proper type of oil for your vehicle. Look for the "starburst" symbol on the front of the bottle, and the SM rating on the API circle on the back label. If you are in doubt, stop by your dealer for an oil change, and any other services required. Most current GM vehicles are equipped with oil life monitors to further assist on the "when" to change your oil. (Aveo/Wave/Optra/Epica currently do not have oil life monitors).

Note: GM Vehicles DO NOT require additional engine oil additives. Some additives may cause harmful effects to the internal seals and additionally void the terms of your vehicles New Car Warranty.
    Purchasing higher than required octane fuel is a waste of money. Using higher octane fuels in a vehicle that only required regular unleaded fuel will neither increase performance nor improve gas mileage. In all cases refer to your owner’s manual and ONLY use the octane rated fuel recommended for your vehicle.

Even though current GM vehicles have 100,000 mi (160,000 km) service intervals for spark plugs if your vehicle is at that point in its life, have the spark plugs changed to assure proper running and continued efficient, trouble free operation.

Avoid quick/full throttle acceleration from a standstill in town and high cruising speeds on the interstates. While the optimum MPG for highway cruising speed varies from vehicle to vehicle, faster is almost always worse. If your vehicle is equipped with a Driver Information Center that displays Instant Fuel Economy, select that readout and vary your cruising speed while on the highway. The display will change continuously with uphill and downhill sections but you should quickly be able to identify on level ground the speed range that your vehicle does the best in. Avoid leaving unnecessary items in your trunk. It takes power to move increased weight and that means more gasoline consumption and reduced performance. While the change may be slight, multiplied by thousands of miles, it all adds up. Your vehicle uses much more fuel when the engine is cold. This is especially true in the winter months when the engine will take the longest to warm up. Combine errands or trips so that the vehicle only needs to warm up once to encompass many different stops.
    Please also feel free to get a second opinion from a different dealer.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    aaroncorpus,
    I would recommend having your vehicle looked at by an authorized GM Dealer. I would also recommend reading post #132, as there are some helpful tips. Please keep me updated as to what the dealer says.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • nibsnibs Member Posts: 65
    I’ve own a lot of trucks over the years. Until recently the last one was more than a dozen years ago. I got fed up with the drive quality, the fuel economy etc. Recently purchased a GM Sierra SLT, absolutely fully loaded. It does have the latest in electronic technology such as phone (bluetooth), Sat radio etc but GM has done nothing to address the fuel economy. My Sierra has the all aluminum engine, 6 speed transmission, active fuel management (YAWN) and a list a mile long of features but really, it means nothing if the GD truck farts gas by the gallon. I recently did a round trip of about four thousand miles and averaged 14.7 mpg. Granted I had an ATV in the dump but my speed was consistent at 55-60 mph. Around town with nothing in the dump, I get about 12 mpg. I guess in 12 years nothing but the shiny stuff has really changed with GM or the other domestics. I realize now why I gave up trucks all those years ago and went offshore. It is cheaper to rent one if you need it and have a quality buildt foreign with a tow hitch. The trailers today are mostly all aluminum and are light, so tow capacity is not so much an issue anymore. Anyone want to buy a truck? :lemon:

Who combines errands to save gas? Vehicles are meant to be driven and in the years since my last truck, I’ve not had to consider fuel economy. My point being, GM has done nothing to address the problem as the same directions were given to people years ago by GM to reduce gas consumption. We should be given a gas rebate every year by GM IMO. That or put a light weight diesel under the hood for those of us who’ve spent $50k on a new truck. Good luck to you all.
  • duff333duff333 Member Posts: 41
    Just did my 1st tankful of 23 gallons and averaged 17.0 mpg. A mix of highway (going to work) and some 2 mile runs to the store etc. Overrall, I'm "OK" with the results but certainly would hope for closer to 19 on average over time.

I've managed to meet or exceed the posted EPA mileage numbers on my last 5 vehicles. It does take some conscious effort to do that - -drive smooth and not too fast - - but can be done. Will see if I can improve on the 17 over time.
  • nibsnibs Member Posts: 65
    Recent highway trip. 1200 KMs. No towing, nothing aboard but me. Average speed on cruise 120 KPH. MPG = 16.68. Given technology today, I’m very disappointed.
  • barnowl3barnowl3 Member Posts: 70
    Christina,
    You reference air filter changes. My 03 GMC manual says to use the air filter monitor and does NOT specify the interval. Typically after 3 years and about 25,000 miles, the air filter monitor still indicates a very good filter, but I just change the filter. So, do I trust the GM monitor or do you recommend a minimum change frequency for the air filter?

BTW my 03 Sierra 2500 HD has always gotten 10-14 MPG and 14 is tough to achieve. It is a 2500HD, 6.0L and has the higher numerical gear ratio, so that doesn't help. My 01 was slightly better as it had a slightly better gear ratio, so I assume this is normal for the 2500 GM gas trucks.
  • inwellingtoninwellington Member Posts: 2
    Quote: Recent highway trip. 1200 KMs. No towing, nothing aboard but me. Average speed on cruise 120 KPH. MPG = 16.68. Given technology today, I’m very disappointed.

Are you kidding? You're cruising along at 120 kph (72 mph) and complaining about 16.66 mpg? I'd say you're doing very well.

Keep your foot out of it and slow down if you want better mileage.

Regards, Paul.
  • mrmagoo157mrmagoo157 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    Let me start by saying that I was searching for GM truck mileage improvements and found my way here. I have been a GM guy all of my life but have been severely disappointed with my '07 (45k miles) GMC crew cab, 5.3 w/AFM, 4x4 truck's mileage & problems. The sticker said 14/20 mpg and that was probably in some engineer's better dreams. The absolute best ever checked longhand and not trusting the calculator was 18.6 mpg going down hill on a trip at exactly 60 mph all the way. Any additional throttle would kick in the V8 mode so the AFM is truly worthless for highway cruising. The truck has averaged 13.7 mpg over its life and that is unacceptable since I drive a mixture of city/hwy. I knew this truck was made on Monday morning from day one when the valve train rattled on startup. I also discovered today that the rear ring and pinion gears have extreme play, the leaf springs squeak like a '50 Studebaker, etc, etc. I am considering a trade to something else SOON.....MrM

BTW - Cruising at exactly 2 mph over the speed limit of most interstates is not exactly hauling [non-permissible content removed] or anything and considering we bought these trucks expecting 20 mpg + or - an mpg or so.........you get my point.
  • inwellingtoninwellington Member Posts: 2
    Mine is a 2010 Sierra Extended with 5.3. I and getting at least 17 mpg and up to 21.5. Now that is Imperial gallon, not US. Ours is a tad bigger.

When I was researching trucks by driving Fords (originally my first choice) and GMCs, I took along my trusty ScanGuage II and plugged it into the computer plug so I could monitor the mileage properly. I dismissed a 2009 5.4 Ford because I had to really nurse it to get 16 mpg. I easily got over 19 with the 2010 Sierra, which I ended up purchasing. So far I am pleased.

I hope you can resolve the lousy mileage you are getting.

I am not certain that a Scanguage is required these days, cuz many vehicles tell you what the instantaneous and average mpg is.

It would be interesting if you could drive a truck of the same year, engine, etc. and see if you get better results.

Good luck.
  • erybilerybil Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Silverado 4/4, 5.3 L. I bought this truck over both the Dodge Ram and the Toyota Tundra because of the gas mileage - 14 city, 19 highway, 16 combined. After tracking several tanks recently, I'm actually getting closer to 11.8 combined. My tires are properly inflated, my air filter is new, I don't do jack-rabbit starts. Very frustrating - if I thought there was a market for this truck right now (with gas prices being well over $4) I'd sell it and buy any of the other truck - both my previous Dodge Ram 4x4 and the Tundra I test drove before buying the Silverado handled like a sports car in terms of turning radius compared to the Silverado, and had I known I'd not get near the mileage claimed, I'd have bought the Tundra (as the 2007 Rams had a beast-like Hemi that was a gas-sucker even on their sticker).
  • inhaliburtoninhaliburton Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2011
    I wonder if there is any upgrade for the on-board computer that would improve gas mileage?

My driving is exclusively on highways. If I was doing city driving my average might dive to 11 mpg cuz you're on the accelerator all the time. Looking at the instantaneous gas gauge, just touching the accelerator drops it below 10 mpg.

Ford's done a marvelous job with their new engines mpg-wise. It makes me wonder why they didn't do it 5 years ago. It just shows to go you.

Btw, I'm happy to see that Chryco is doing well by making some money! They are working hard and cranking out some good products these days.
  • ttaupier1ttaupier1 Member Posts: 50
    Hi INHAL,

I have a 2003 GMC sierra 5.3. 130k miles... I bought new and have been testing the waters on many things, first thing i did was a tonneau covers hard plastic wrap over, +2.5mpg, then i did the K&N pfikit +1mpg, then i upgraded my wheels and tires to a more highway +1mpg, i tried the mass flow sensor from gannelli? both the K&N version and the plain version.. neither worked 1200 lost... then i replaced all gear lube in trnasfer cases mobil1 synth (+1mpg), i also did the auto transmition fluid in synthetic $55/qt mobil1 +1 mpg. I also ripped the mechanical fan off the front and installed a flexlite kit (runs cooler more HP ... no milage..) also in the winter the truck heats up better...

MPG average to date 18.0 town...20.5 highway ( not drafting)

next steps are exhaust and diablo code change/re-maper DiabloSport Trinity Tuner, Monitor: Gas and Diesel (T1000) so far this is the only one i have seen real results from ...
  • 2doorpost2doorpost Member Posts: 74
    I had the same thing going on with my 08 Silverado. Fuel miliage fell to below 15 MPG HWY.(and I have the 4.3 V6 without A/C) Truck had 55000 miles.

I had the fuel injector system cleaned out by the dealer. The truck runs better and the gas miliage is the best its ever been. Just a tad over 20 MPG HWY now.

I always changed the oil regularly, and the air filter, but skipped the fuel system maintenance.

Never again.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter wants to talk with people who expected to get better gas mileage in their relatively new vehicle. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Tuesday, July 19, 2011 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience. Thank you.
  • spaztikhispaztikhi Member Posts: 7
    2001 silverado ext cab 4x2 4.8L 1200 miles purchased new 30 days ago.

Round trip, Ocala florida to Orlando area. tripometer- 235 miles used a full tank + (26 gal +)

I had the truck to the dealer twice so far in reguards to mileage and the way it runs ** crusing, accelerate slightly, slight enough that it does not down shift and is bucks, like a miss under load, also noticed this condition when in a parking lot, slow holding steady low speed, it feels like your applying light pressure to brakes and letting off (repeating). And other possible related condition, slowing to a stop, close to stopping the truck surges like accelerator is tapped. Sometimes applying slight brake others just letting off to coast toward light. This has happened 4 to 5 times since bought. **AND YES I AM SURE I WASN'T TOUCHING THE GAS PEDAL**

No check engine light, dealer states it was scanned with no codes present. I noticed these things in the first week of ownership. The service advisor told me there was probbably some water in the fuel, and that I need to find a new place to fuel up ***this was the complementary tank of fuel at purchase*** and I have fueled at 5 different places since and no changes.

I feel as if I have purchased a sick, hungry St. Bernard
  • drvettedrvette Member Posts: 99
    My "96 4x4 Yukon w/5.7 Vortec gets upwards of 19.5 "corrected MPG at 55mph or Less using Hypermiling techniques and 45psi

At 75-85mph I can get 17.8mpg, with AC on
    This on a vehicle with 225,000 miles AND 4x4 !
    My axle is very low, speeds over 55mph cause the tach to rise rapidly.

A major factor is the fact I can get fuel with NO MTBE or Alcohol !

MTBE is mandated for townships upwind of major cities, it supposedly is an oxgenator type additive.

Alcohol had about 80k BTU/Gl
    Gasoline has about 115k BTU/Gl
    Less BTU = less energy

Use Hypermiling techniques when you are not in traffic situations.
    Keep the air pressure at absolute MAX without causing wear issues.
    Keep the oil changed.
    Forget K&N Air Filters or big exhaust for fuel economy.
    Use the hottest thermostat and plugs you can find.

Best Luck
    DrVette
  • smoothoperatersmoothoperater Member Posts: 1
    redwing, I had a 2500HD with the 8.1 liter engine. i got 11.00 m.p.g. in town and 12.6 on hwy. it is a real work truck. great for towing and hauling heavy loads. i dont think the mialege would change much pulling a trailer. i pulled a car trailer and couldnt tell it was there.
  • live_liftlive_lift Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 gmc 1500 5.3 reg cab 4x4 with a procomp 6" lift , 32.2" good year dura track tires, magnaflow cat back 2-1-2 exhaust exhaust and a edge evolution chip (only running on trans tune to firm up the shifts) i get a consistent 17.5 mpg and thats going 45-55 mph in 4x4 on some extreamly icey roads between jasper and banff about 200 kms or 135 miles and when it cleared 80 mph on a fairly straight road with little traffic still some 6% grades in there for another 350kms or 210 miles and i get about 17.5 mpg so some 550 kms on 86 litres of fuel with my heavy foot in a more than capable 4x4 17.5 mpg is is pretty damn good

2009 f350 6.4 diesel drw cc gets 8mpg and my 2011 f350 6.2 gas drw cc gets about 8 mpg( im so done with diesels !!!!!! aswell and my wifes 2008 honda civic gets 48 mpg on the hwy all day long!!!!!!

long story short if you want fuel economy buy a civic or similar vehicle if you wanna drive a truck be prepaired to pay more in fuel if you want cc drw 4x4 hope its making you money because thay are thirsty!!!!!!

i also have a 1991 s10 with a supercharged small block that gets 6 mpg on premium but runs the quarter in 12.5 at 110 mph but cant complain at paying a little extra for a good time :D:D
  • string2string2 Member Posts: 71
    I now have about 5000 mi. on my Silverado. Just filled up AGAIN with 21.2 gallons of gasoline. My gauge showed 321 miles since last fill up. My Active fuel management won't work above 60-65 MPH, therefor I don't get the benefit from the Active Fuel Management at normal highway driving around 70 mph. GM has looked at it and assures me that it's operating normal dispite their misleading epa window sticker 15 city 21 highway.

I get about 15 city 16 on level highway above 65 MPH. Not loaded and I don't have a heavy foot. gas - Shell, Exxon, Chevron

321 miles divided by 21.2 gallons gas = 15.14 MPG city miles 50% highway 50%

Since the Active fuel Management is not designed to work above 65 MPH on level highway, I can't get the fuel savings at the highway speed of 70 -72 MPH. I don't know why they designed it that way, but GM says that's normal. Are they lying to me ?
  • string2string2 Member Posts: 71
    I now have about 5,000 mi. on my Silverado. Just filled up AGAIN with 21.2 gallons of gasoline. My gauge showed 321 miles since last fill up. My Active fuel management won't work above 60-65 MPH, therefore, I don't get the benefit from the Active Fuel Management at normal highway driving around 70 mph. GM has looked at it and assures me that it's operating normal dispite their misleading epa window sticker 15 city 21 highway.
    I get about 15 city 16 on level highway above 65 MPH. Not loaded and I don't have a heavy foot. gas - Shell, Exxon, Chevron

321 miles divided by 21.2 gallons gas = 15.14 MPG city miles 50% highway 50%

Since the Active fuel Management is not designed to work above 65 MPH on level highway, I can't get the fuel savings at the highway speed of 70 -72 MPH. I don't know why they designed it that way, but GM says that's normal. Are they lying to me ?
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    edited January 2012
    Mine works at 70mph. However, after 70mph it will not come on much. I have 10,000 miles on my truck. Three trips to Utah and one to Sedona, Arizona from Southern California.

OVERALL mpg is showing 15mpg. I get 12 to 14 city...depending. This takes in the very short around town trips and the 20mpg I get on the highway.

Speeds above 70mph will net 17.5 to 18.5 w/o active fuel management coming on.