Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Diesel Fuel Economy and chips

Comments

• Options
    jet12jet12 Member Posts: 1
    Considering trading my '06 F250 SD/SC gasoline for an ' 08 F250 4wd SD/CC
    diesel. Never owned a diesel before. only considering because of the deep
    discounts on '08. Thoughts? experiences? Is mpg that much better than gas?
  • Options
    akjbmwakjbmw Member Posts: 231
    It's way too sketchy to try to justify/compare the cost of diesel vs gas in either direction.
    It depends on what you are going to do with the truck.
    My gasser worked great as a grocery getter, but didn't do well at all climbing over the Sierras with our travel trailer.
    My "new to me" duramax requires caution to not go uphill too fast with the trailer.
    Awesome. Amazing. I'm REALLY enjoying it.
  • Options
    pipfindrpipfindr Member Posts: 34
    Well do some homework. the '08 and up fords are getting very bad reviews. all of my friends who own them (5) almost all say the same thing..... the mileage sucks and they all have had to replace the rads in them, except for one of them and he saying that hes getting 19 mpg and loves it. The fuel mileage for the other 4 guys is the same 11-12 mpg empty or towing its the same. kinda weird if you ask me but as for performance... the new ford rocks. right off the line there is no loss of power or turbo lag. nicest interior of all of the new trucks. ford is bringing out a half ton diesel next year. maybe wait for it. it may be the mix you are looking for.
  • Options
    06hdgmc06hdgmc Member Posts: 1
    I am new to this forum but i am interested in seeing what other 06 duramax owners get for milage. I bought mine used @35000 miles it was getting 16 on hwy I had to take it in to dealer to have a fuel problem fixed they replaced high presur pump fule rails and injectors and now the best I can get is 15 mpg my mec is telling me that the 06 never got good fuel milage so if there are other 06 owners out there could you let me know what you are getting for milage.
  • Options
    dmax06dmax06 Member Posts: 4
    I bought my 06 Chevy Duramax (2500HD) last May w/ 27K miles on it. I run approx 80 miles a day mixed driving (maybe 65/35 hwy/city). I get 20-21 daily driving, sometimes high 21's. In winter it drops to 19-20. Have not done a pure road trip with it yet. I run stock exhaust, stock air intake, Shell Rotella 5W40 full synthetic, and PowerService fuel additive. I just swapped out the factory tires at 56K and don't know yet what effect that will have. Good Luck!
  • Options
    pupknucklepupknuckle Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 F350 4WD 6.0. It is a piece of crap. Had a 2000 F350 7.3 that I sold with 290,000 miles. My 2004 has 69,750 miles and now needs heads and head gaskets. BTW the original Head Gaskets went at 43,304 miles, 2nd set at 52,010 miles. Now that it is 6 mos. out of wty they tell me my heads are probably warped. I also have a 2006-2500 Sprinter with the extra high and extra long WB. Maximum mileage is 22MPG traveling 55-60MPH. If you read their brochure carefully the estimated MPG is on the short van w/short wheelbase. Don't get me wrong, I am tickled to still avg 19 to 21MPG overall.
  • Options
    Pickupwbb----Sorry to hear about your Head gaskets ... I have a couple of questions about your 6.0. ltr, as I am trying learning more about these motors,

1) Is yours a "p" or "n" Block engine? you can tell by the vin in the 8th position.
    2) did the dealer ever replace your EGR?
    3) what kind of programmer were you using?
  • Options
    cigarcitycigarcity Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 f 350 crew 4X2 6l dsl and so far I get 15+ inthe city and 20+ onthe hwy,,,I also took a 4000 mile trip with heavy 27' trailer and got 10 mpg,but traveled 70 -80 mph..great trip. Now I have issues with cold running accelerating and wanting to stall,but after warm up runs great.
  • Options
    rickey0604rickey0604 Member Posts: 3
    You will always have trouble with a diesel's performance cold. They are like old carberator engines. That is the down fall to owning one. I've worked with many different makes from Cummins to Cats and they are all the same. If you have a problem with a cold start you might want to have your glow plug harnesses checked. I had to replace the ones on my 2000 7.3L just before it hit 100,000 miles. I just had some work done to mine so we will see how my fuel mileage plays out.
  • Options
    smoothhorsesmoothhorse Member Posts: 2
    I was considering a chip for my '06 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel but it sounds like the risk are too great (too complicated) for me mess with since I put so few miles on the truck and pull a 32' trailer with full living quarters and 3 horses in the mountains.
    I'd rather put my $$$ in fuel cost vs. truck repairs.
  • Options
    ebroebro Member Posts: 1
    I had a #4 fuel line crack at 30,000 miles while driving in the rain. When the check engine light came on and I noticed I had lost 10 gallons of fuel in 22 miles, I pulled of the freeway and called for a tow. The repair was done under my extended warranty from Chrysler. The problem I have is with the sound and heat insulation under the body and firewall. It is saturated with diesel, smells bad in and out, and constantly drips on the ground. The dealer says its not part of the repair. Does anyone have a suggestion? ebro
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Just as with an oil leak, go to a shop that specializes in engine bay steam cleaning and explain the situation. A good shop knows how to clean the fluids away without getting the electricals wet.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • Options
    charlie6869charlie6869 Member Posts: 2
    Just got 97 F250. New to diesels and forum. what can I do to improve mpgs and what should I do make truck last longer. has 250k miles. anything is more that what I know now.
  • Options
    aseautorepairaseautorepair Member Posts: 1
    iF YOU BOUGHT THE VEHCILE USED IT WAS PROBABLY HAD BEEN CHIPPED PREVIOUSLY. THE DEALERS FLASH THE IMPRINTED DATA AND DELETE IT. I AM KNOWN FOR MY PERFORMANCE DIESEL BUILDING AND RECENTLY GOT ONE UP TO 23 MPG AND 19 WHEN TOWING A TOY HAULER. IT TOOK 3500 DOLLARS. THE PROGRAMER IS A QUADZILLA 250 HORSE CHIP FROM CANADA WICH LETS YOU ELIMINATE YOUR HIGHLY EMISSIONED AND SENSITIVE EXHAUST SYSTEM WICH HAS TUBES AND EXHAUST FILTER AT THE TIP. THIS PROGRAMMER WILL ELIMINATE ALL OF THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS THAT COME WITH INSTALLING A 5 IN EXHAUST WITH AERO TURBINE MUFFLER. THE PROGRAMMER DOES HAVE DIFFERENT SETTINGS. AT 150 HORSE IS WHERE I GOT THE CUSTOMER THE MOST FUEL ECONOMY AND LOWERED EXHAUST TEMPS 150 DEGREES BY DOING THE LARGER EXHAUST.
  • Options
    smoothhorsesmoothhorse Member Posts: 2
    A heavy equipment and diesel 2500 driver recommended adding cetane with each fill-up as the diesel is not what it was and this gives it the boost in mileage and helps the machine operate smoother. We are trying cetane on the current tank and see how it goes.
    Anyone with cetane experience?
  • Options
    tluthertluther Member Posts: 3
    I also have questions about this issue of adding Cetane which can be found inexpensively at Wal Mart and auto pats stores.

My advise from a fleet operator was to add two 2.5 oz bottles of two cycle chain saw oil to 10 ounces of Cetane per 20 gallons of fuel in your tank.

I drove 5000 miles from Anchorage, Alaska to San Luis Obispo, California and religiously followed this additive routine for my 2000 Ford 7.3 liter diesel with 40,000 miles on it.I had a 3000# slide in camper on the truck and managed a respectable 12.5 MPG. The truck ran wonderfully under frequent heavy loads of uphill driving and it didn't smoke at all.

I don't know if this works or not for sure. I do feel that 12.5 MPG is pretty good at a speed of 60MPH most of the time on cruise.

Any comments out there?

Terry in Alaska
    capt@gci.net
  • Options
    rickey0604rickey0604 Member Posts: 3
    I've been using the cetane in my 7.3 for almost 4 years now. It has made an improvement on my performance. But the cetane is not for the 6.0 or the 6.4. What the Ford mechanic explained to me is that when diesel went to low sulfur it really screwed over older diesel owners. It adds a lubricant to your fuel that the sulfur was doing. I can get an extra 1-2 mpg on the highway and do feel it if I don't use it with every tank. You can get a better bottle of cetane at your local ford dealer for $9.
  • Options
    buck96buck96 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought this truck for work, 109000 miles any problems that are typical with this truck with the eng., trans., other systems. I like to stay on top of problems before the get real big.
  • Options
    If your truck is 6.0 ltr Diesel ....Only run 10w30 oil so the injectors don't go on you. i replaced 4 now due to running 5 w40 syn. the guys at ford say only 10w30 unless you are towing a lot in 80 to 100 f heat daily. Also use both of the ford fuel additives, it really does help with mileage, performance and cold starts, I have 138000 miles on mine. Other than that not too much else went wrong.
  • Options
    mrbadexample3mrbadexample3 Member Posts: 3
    I own a smarty which does a mild reprogram on the ecm and adds fuel mileage. I recently went to a Dodge Dealer in Albuquerque, NM with a brake noise. Before I dropped off the truck I off loaded the smarty program and reset the truck to stock.
    While the truck was there and without my knowledge or permission, Dodge changed my ECM with one that is resistant to reprograming. I am a former tech and I do open the hood once in a while to check fluids I noticed a tag uder my hood saying they did replace my ECM.
    This is a warning to anyone with a diesel truck specify that you do not want any other alterations to your truck without specificy written permission, even if you are taking it in for the new brake recall or even an oil change.
    I am trying to find a group of folks willing to get together and try to get an attorney to sue Chrysler over this practice. Anyone interested?
  • Options
    txfire1txfire1 Member Posts: 3
    I just got a 07 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9L. Trying to decide what to put on it. I dont use it for a work truck, just a daily driver. But want to increase the power and mpg a little. What do yall think I should get. Does the programer from Smarty really not leave a footprint, so the dealership would never know???
  • Options
    txfire1txfire1 Member Posts: 3
    Wow... I didnt know they were allowed to do that. Smarty says that the dealership can tell if youve had a smarty on there...is that true? I just got a 07 dodge with the 5.9l, and worried about vaiding the warranty. How was the smarty working for you?
  • Options
    joerogersthirdjoerogersthird Member Posts: 3
    i just recently purchased a 2004 ford F250 with a 6.0 powerstroke its clean inside and out with 40417 miles on it what kind of mileage can i expect?
  • Options
    It was working fine. I was up to 19 mpg and 11 pulling my 36' 5th wheel.

I suspect Dodge is about as dead as AMC. Time will tell. Wish I could do somthing about it, Smarty knows about it and I think they are working on a software patch to fix the problem.
  • Options
    My last truck was a 05 2500 with a 5.9, I did a Smarty, an intake, exhaust and a new inner cooler, for less than $1600 I had a hell of a lot more power and I was getting 25 mpg. Due to a run in with a bear in Florida and my desire for a 4x4 dually I bought my 2009.
    This truck seems like it was made from cheap tin. I haven't had this shoddy of a dodge since my 1974 power wagon back in the old days. That Dodge forced me to buy a Ford, looks like this one may push to the Guys with the bowties on the grill. Too bad, I was enjoying having a Dodge after a 20 year hiatus.
  • Options
    tluthertluther Member Posts: 3
    Hello diesel people,

I'm an Alaskan who has my really nice, like new, F250 Ford in storage in Las Vegas.

I have a nice 3000 pound camper on it and the truck has only 38,000 miles. I don't drive it too much up here except on fishing trips etc..

On my trip from Alaska down to Vegas it performed wonderfully and delivered an average of 12 mpg at 60 mph with the camper on it.

I'd like to know if I should chip this and maybe change the exhaust system and maybe more for even better performance.

I'm a Senior and plan to keep this truck until I'm planted. I really like it and wonder if I would gain much for investing probably $3000 more in it?

Terry
    capt@gci.net
  • Options
    ddw78ddw78 Member Posts: 16
    Good Diesel People, Since this seems like the most active forum on the various F-350 sites, I wanted to ask for opinions on what you think the impact on value (price) should be for a 2004 PSD XLT LB 4X4? Private party numbers from the TMV appraiser come up at about $14,000 for miles and condition of this vehicle.

Let's say that the seller comes up with a reasonable list of repairs that were performed after the wreck that caused it to be a salvage title. What do you think the impact should be on the real value of the truck, if it drives ok and checks out as straight? Is a 50% deduct about right, more or less?

It's a 6.0 with 160,000 miles. Should I just skip it and look for a 7.3 a couple of years older?

Sorry to hijack the chip thread, but I figured the people who would know might be on it tonight and I will look at the vehicle tomorrow.

Thanks!
  • Options
    If you have a good detailed description of the vehicle, head over to our Real World Trade-In Values discussion, and ask the pros. Be sure and let them know it's a salvage title and if it's known how bad the damage was.

• Options
    catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    If you only have 38K mi on a 7.3 PS then you are putting about 5-7K a year on the truck.
    Putting $3000 into the truck is probably a waste of money. You will never recoup the cost in fuel savings.
    Unless you are VERY unhappy with the performance, and are looking for more power, put the $3000 aside for gas and figure you are driving for free for the next few years.
  • Options
    ram3043ram3043 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an 05 3500 single rear wheel with a 5.9 cummins I am only getting 16 mpg and the on board computer is telling me that i am getting 23mpg is the a problem with the engine or the compute? How can i improve mpg I dont have a warranty on the engine anymore.
  • Options
    ram3043ram3043 Member Posts: 2
    What is the best way to improve mpg on a 2005 ram 3500 5.9 cummins I dont use this truck for towing only as a daily driver. I am currently getting 16 with pretty conservitive driving I would like to get 24mpg.
  • Options
    You'll never see 24 mpg, let alone average it... I have a 2005 3500 dually, and in absolutely ideal conditions, I can get 20.5-21, and that's a pure highway run. As soon as you get back on regular roads, you're well below 20 again.. The gearing available in 2005 was not conducive to getting top economy.

If you want the best fuel economy from a Cummins-powered Ram, you'd have to go back to the 1996-1998 12-valve engine.

• Options
    dbebidbebi Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 silverado 2500 HD,at times when idling or acceleration,I get white smoke out the exhaust,does not do that all the time,had injector recall at 70,000,and now have 152,000,had injector flush,and fuel filter replaced recently,is this normal for this year,does not happen all the time
  • Options
    kacansas06kacansas06 Member Posts: 33
    My son has a '05 Ram Cummins and usually get 18 to 19 mpg with biodiesel fuel. His company owns another Cummins which runs regular diesel and can get 21 to 22 highway all of this at 5,000+ feet in Colorado.
  • Options
    jrchaffinjrchaffin Member Posts: 1
    I traded a 2004 F350 for a 2008 F 350. Mileage went from 17 HWY to 12.3 HWY and 12-13 in town to 9.3. Towing (26K gross) went from 11 to 7. Not much better than gas, but the 4.6 gas is a dog in the 250/350's. My dad had a 250 with the 4.6 and had trans over heating problems. Went back to Diesel, no problem.
    Note: I just put on a 4" exhaust turbo back, chip, and Cold air intake. Mileage in town now up to 13.1 on the 6.4L 350 4WD crew cab.
  • Options
    dsappdsapp Member Posts: 1
    has anyone used a chip from usdieselchip.will it help or hurt.
  • Options
    dennis66dennis66 Member Posts: 6
    this may sound (rookie) but i recently discovered that the front axle was turning with the front wheels while supposedly not engaged. i got that freed up and improved the mileage. jack each wheel up and make sure universal joint behind the wheel is not turning and is really free wheeling/. later insured that brakes are not dra gging.
  • Options
    azref2azref2 Member Posts: 1
    We are going to be purchasing a 2009 chevy 3500 diesel; It has 32k miles. We will be using it to haul our horses from show to show. The current owner is using a fuel additive called diesel fuel boost. He stated to me that he did see an improvement of 10-15% in is fuel consumption. My question is has anyone else heard of the additive? is there another additive that would be more beneficial? I have never owned a diesel before, so any advice would be appreciated
  • Options
    dobrovoddobrovod Member Posts: 15
    Some basic mpg figures that I found:

US VW Jetta SportWagen, 33 MPG combined
    European Ford Mondeo Wagon, 48 MPG combined
    European Ford Focus Wagon, 58 MPG combined

Why are the European vehicles getting such better numbers?
  • Options
    lonegraylonegray Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    rundown for new diesel owner!

1 - turbo charger is on the engine - gets really hot ... so after you have been getting on the gas and not idling through a parking lot make sure you give the engine time to equalize fuel pressures (makes it easier to start) and ALWAYS let the Turbo cool down (2 minutes) before shutting off the engine. The engine @ idle will run oil through the turbo to cool it. It will last much longer this way

2. CHANGE THE FUEL FILTERS EVERY MONTH! <--- else start saving up 300/injector for the part and add another 1K for the labor! Only use name brand fuel filters not the offbrand @ Auto Zone ... so FRAM or WIX! Always keep a spare in the truck in the event you take on water in the fuel @ a fuel stop - remember: diesel fuel is always dirty! and full of water! This filter is badly abused and must be changed often. IMO - they should have a 2 stage filter on these engines.

3. The additives ... it depends on the engine. I do not run the additives - makes it burn hotter which means the engine wont last as long ... there are always trade offs. You probably do NOT need the additive. The recommended first rebuild for these Cummings engines is 325,000 miles! If you run additives it will certainly be shortened.

4. The engine is made to run! so when you idle for a long period its better to let it run ... the engine computer should take over and drive the idle up too around 1K or a little over ... this is normal ... so you can run it overnight if your sleeping in it ... the idle kicks up to drive more oil pressure through the engine components. It knows when this needs 2 b done. To 'stop' this you tap the break and it will idle back down. Then you can put it in gear - do NOT put it in gear while this is going on or you will 'bang' the xmission.

5. The drive train is warranties too 100K miles. So make sure you take it in say around 90/95K miles and have them check over everything ... they charge for this 75 point checkup and its a 200.00 deductible if you need to repair anything. Its well worth it as certainly the ball joints will need replacing around then.

6. Things to note: If you stomp the pedal and see black smoke coming out of the exhaust you have an injector/fuel problem - get it checked out before the carbon build up ruins something else.

The engine should be very responsive to you pressing on the pedal ... I have outrun a corvette from 60 - 100! and several mustangs from the line. That turbo diesel is awesome!

She should last you a couple of lifetimes! The fuel mileage is not awesome ... but when your towing it should not change too much. MAKE SURE YOU HEED #2 above!
  • Options
    ktw1ktw1 Member Posts: 1
    Just got a 2004 3500 srw 4x4 quad cab shortbed that will be used for everyday transportation and to tow livestock. It came with a cool air intake, 4 in exhaust, gauges for (exhaust temp, boost, and transmission temp) and a quadzilla chip that has a dial for 4 positions.
    Was told the full counter clockwise position on the Quadzilla dial is stock set up. I am unsure when to use the chip and what position (1 thru 4) should be used for street or towing.
    Also would appreciate if someone knows the temps for the exhaust gas and transmission. Exhaust gas runs around 600 -900 when just cruising but can jump as high as 1100 or more when pulling a grade with a load. Transmission temps seem to stay around 180 unless under load the have risen to 200. I am trying to take it easy because I am unsure at what point I reach max temps.
  • Options
    puglimopuglimo Member Posts: 5
    Taking delivery of this truck tomorrrow a.m. in Atlanta. It has 56K miles. What kind of mpg can (should) I anticipate?? If below mid teens, what is best fix?
  • Options
    hey i havea 2004 f250 diesel and i only smell antifreez in the cab when i get into the pedal or i have a load on and or going up steep grades any one know what it could be ?
  • Options
    about 8 to 10 around town and 14 or so on the high way if your lucky
  • Options
    knowalibisknowalibis Member Posts: 1
    My 99 diesel fuel lines are corroded and leaking at the front where they change from steel to rubber to steel...are there any problems with replacing the existing rubber hose that is about 1 ft long with a longer hose and double clamping each end? I want to do this to both the 3/8" line and the 5/16" line....about $12 vs $170.
  • Options
    skywatcher1973skywatcher1973 Member Posts: 15
    I have heard only of a few things on the market that changes your mpg's so I am sure many of you know more than I know so I won't argue with any of you without knowing what I am talking about!! Anyway I have come across a product just a few months ago & tested it on my own car & my husbands 18 wheeler. On my car I have a 1998 Chevy Lumina over 200,000 miles on it. I got a baseline of 18mpg in town driving & 22mpg highway. So I started testing it while my car needed repairs on it (husband didn't want to change anything on it) It needed spark plugs, fuel filter, oil change, air filter etc. All of the normal things that needs to be cared for. So I used the product for 2 fill ups, first thing I noticed was increased horse power. Could pass cars without being scared!! Then I noticed that there was a decrease in mpgs down to 17-16mpg Then by the second tank it went up to 20mpg town & 24 highway. Then we changed the spark plugs etc & ran the car without any treatment in it for 2 tanks. Even with all the new spark plugs we dropped back down to where we were before & no horsepower again. So then I started using it again & we are now up to 21 in town & 26 highway. Oh & I also forgot to mention I have something wrong with the cadilliac(SP) converter. We are planning on replacing it. So I feel like it's worth it to have this product in my car. I can buy 4 packets for 17.95 & save about 80.00 a month because I fill up less. I dropped about 2 to 3 tanks a month. I was filling up 9 times & now I am down to 6 to 7 depending on the month. Then we got my husbands 18 wheeler no big detailed letter there, but he went from 4.8 to 6.1mpg loaded & 5.5 to 8mpg empty & increased horsepower. So there are products out there that does save on fuel.
  • Options
    dewey11dewey11 Member Posts: 11
    What programer you running Cflowers?please share. dewey11
  • Options
    puglimopuglimo Member Posts: 5
    Took delivery and got 17~ back to Bham. But things got worse - 13 driving it to work via interstate. Then next tank did 15. Have seen as high as 18 on the computer...
    Will pull a 300 lb. pop-up camper in two weeks and see how it likes that...
  • Options
    bdozerbdozer Member Posts: 2
    I have a 06 F-350 4x4 w/3:73 rears. I always have gotten about the same miliaage with my truck, and did a lot of pulling with it. Empty on the highway I will get 20 mpg and pulling 12 to 15 mpg. I do seem to get better miliage using 04 fuel filters and they are cheaper. I don't have a chip or any after market exhaust, it's all factory. My truck runs 18" rims.
  • Options
    bdozerbdozer Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking for a shop manual, so I can work on my emissions. I can't afford a shop to work on it, when I can be a shade tree mechanic lol. Does any one have one they could scan and download to me for the emissions.