Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Corolla XRS vs Nissan Sentra SE-R SPEC V vs Mazda3

2»

Comments

• Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    You know which car's side I'm on here, BUT ...

I just looked up their test of the Mazda3 manual, and "giantkiller" is correct ... the Corolla XRS manual IS faster 0-60 and in the quarter-mile.

But that doesn't mean it's not a boring, ugly-looking car! :cry:

Meade
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "The Corolla XRS beat the hell out of the MZ3 in stopping distance, slalom speed, 0-60 and 1/4 mile. Now chew on that. "

Corolla XRS manual transmission:

0-60: 7.1

Mazda3s manual transmission hatchback:

0-60 7.4

Face the facts. Manual vs. Manual. Apples to apples. CHEW ON THAT. That's hardly "beating the hell out of".

Also----the sedan is lighter than the hatch, so it should be a little quicker than 7.4.

Once again, you IGNORE the fact that the Motortrend comparo used an automatic Mazda3 and a manual Corolla.
  • Options
    giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    Okay, then I have a question for you. How will Mazda3 S 4 door/sedan/manual compare performance wise with a:

Ford ZX4 ST/manual with 151HP@5750RPM and 145lb-ft@ 4250RPM with a curb weight of 2803lbs

Cobalt LS/manual with 145HP@5600RPM and 155lb-ft@4000RPM with a curb weight of 2853lbs.
  • Options
    giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    Will Masda 3/manual/sedan post better times than the Focus ZX4 and/or Cobalt LS?
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    You asked for some figures, I gave them to you. The Corolla XRS isn't "beating the hell" out the Mazda3 at all. The acceleration numbers for 0-60 are so close that it'd be a drivers race. The handling limits on both cars are so high that 99% of the people will never even come close to the limits. The Corolla handles better, but rides worse. Test track times don't always tell you how the car feels accelerating around town and if you doubt that, just go drive an S2000. On paper it's fast, but unless you wring the hell out of it, it feels like a Civic. The Mazda3 WILL feel faster and more relaxed around town and that's all there is to it.

Will Masda 3/manual/sedan post better times than the Focus ZX4 and/or Cobalt LS?

I gave you the 0-60 figure for the MANUAL transmission Mazda3 hatchback (which is heavier than the sedan), so you can answer that question yourself.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You two need to agree to disagree and move on. Beating each other up is neither productive nor appropriate.
  • Options
    ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    I went onto the site Modernracer.

And the Gave the Corolla XRS 7.6 seconds
    And Mazda3s 7.5 (with Manual)

Toyota Corolla XRS
    Mazda3 s
  • Options
    enemay5tyleenemay5tyle Member Posts: 4
    Modern racer is more on speculations than test driving, most of the info in their site is opinion or from other websites, unlike car and driver or motor trend which have a wealth of resources and actually basing their figures on test drives. 7.6 they probably got that figure from Consumer Guide, which also makes rough estimates from time to time of performance figures. So believe what u may believe, I pesonally think XRS 7.1/S hatch 7.4. Although the average driver probably wont be able to clock those kind of numbers, it takes experience to be able to know how to shift gears and on the right time.
  • Options
    xrsdemonxrsdemon Member Posts: 1
    has anyone ever compared these cars to a RSX type S....its kinda outta league in a way, but does anyone have a opinion...?
This discussion has been closed.