Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado - Continued XV

Comments

• Options
    swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    for mileage reasons, but have a few performance parts that I kept and am trying to sell. I have a Hypertech Power Programmer, a Granadilli (sp?) MAF sensor, and a Airaid air filter system. All were over $300 each and I'm trying to sell them for $140 each or $350 for all three. Truck had 9500 miles on it and these parts only have 7500 of those miles on them and are in excellent condition. Please e-mail swobig@yahoo.com if you are interested...
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    List them on ebay. probably get you more than $140 each. Seen HPIII go for $225. Good luck.

Dean
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Mine hasn't made a peep in 22K miles!

- Tim
  • Options
    dumanduman Member Posts: 53
    gm issued a TSB on the locking rear-end...... says somthing about loud noises emmitting from the rear diff. on a consistant basis, but only when trying to pull a stump out of the ground...he he he ha ha.........ROFLMAO, loland smiles!!!
    joe
  • Options
    blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    DUMAN...now why did you have to go and do that. He'll be all over the internet looking for it and DQ will get upset and leave for a SB tourny or something, leaving the poor kid in a heap!...ps. it was probably the chain?
    matthew
  • Options
    dumanduman Member Posts: 53
    wooooohooooo!!!.......too funny!!!!!!
  • Options
    xringxring Member Posts: 129
    Were do ya live? I grew up in the Olathe/Gardner area. Married a gal from Greensburg.

John
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    No its not constant just happened once it worked like it was suppose to just made noise.

Also didnt get the stump pulled damn thing turned out to be pretty big. I chopped and axed and couldnt get far enough under the roots to put a rope. Oh well maybe this wk.

Also bought a grease gun and Mobil grease. Didnt have time to do it today. Got home at 5 and it took me 2 hrs to wash my truck then it got dark i hate this getting dark to early.

Ryan
  • Options
    jaumenjaumen Member Posts: 54
    I live north of Junction City
  • Options
    jaslonjaslon Member Posts: 1
    sell your truck for. I hate to ask but I am trying to decide on buying used or a new truck.
  • Options
    jjjoycejjjoyce Member Posts: 2
    i have a 99 silverado. the transmission failed and needed to be rebuilt at 40,000 miles. chevy did not stand behind their product. they said it was out of warranty.
  • Options
    swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    $24,500 for my Y2K Silverado 4X4 LT 4 door 10K miles. $24,500 for the Van I bought - Y2K Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L V-6, Leather, - has just about everything the truck did, but 30 miles. Traded even which I didn't think was too bad. Insurance is about $200 cheaper per year and it's not as thirsty as the truck.

If your buying a used one look one the internet for prices first. I looked at autobytel and many others and got a idea of prices, then took this info. to the dealer and it definetly helped my barganing power. There great trucks, unfortunatly I can't afford the operating expenses on it which is typical for any truck...
  • Options
    iwactiwact Member Posts: 25
    You live north of Junction City (what state?).
    I work in Junction City, OR.

Randy
  • Options
    idahodanidahodan Member Posts: 12
    After 3 weeks I found something about wrong with my '01 `Rado: The dashboard light dimmer switch. I like the dash lights as dim as possible and still be legible (it's an aviation trick that helps nighttime vision). Anyway, the dimmer within a millimeter of travel goes from too dim to too bright. If I get it just right, it'll brighten when I hit a bump.

So far it's the only flaw I've found.
  • Options
    rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    Sounds like one of those Tindra owners pretending to own a Chevy with problems.

However, the warranty in '99 was indeed 36, 000 miles. 40,000 miles in one to two years is quite a lot.
  • Options
    On a vehicle that is 2 my's old, I would certainly contact the Chevrolet Zone office customer service department. As I was a Zone Service manager ('73 - '80, I saw a lot of vehicles requesting consideration under conditions such as this. Have ALL your maintenance records, I mean this as without it your sunk, present your vehicle in the best light, (wash it) and request a meeting with the factory rep. He gets paid for stuff like this. Don't get huffy, REMAIN CALM when meeting. Remember this is negotiating for something OAB the written word in black and white. There is a telephone number in the back of your owner's manual, call it and at least present your case to see if there is some consideration that can be granted. It may be a split, 2 way or 3 way, (you and the factory or you, the dealer, and the factory) if so take it and don't grumble, it is better than nothing, and a factory re-man unit is what should be used which has an additional year of warranty. Make the call and let us know how you make out; otherwise refer to #488 & #490.

Now if you were pulling stumps......ROLOL!

matthew
  • Options
    ryanbab - how'd the chasis lube go?

iwact - jauman lives in Junction City, Kansas.

I bot a set of heavy duty tow hooks today an installed them. Had to cut out the indentions in the air dam - just used a new blade in a box knife and took it slow. The radius of the corners were the hardest to cut.

John
  • Options
    no Rotozip?
  • Options
    i thought the commercials were a joke...until I tried one....just cut out 22 can lights a few weeks ago....works like a charm...

- Tim
  • Options
    Guess I'm gonna have to get up early tomorrow and watch some infomercials on cable. Another tool, yeah. I'm sure my wife could find a job around the house to use it for.
  • Options
    If you've ever tried to cut stainless steel, you'd know how difficult it was. Well, the rotozip is like a hot knife through butter on stainless steel. Making the bumber and plastic very easy to cut.
  • Options
    vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    Ryan, I've locked mine on sandy pavement and it didn't make any noise. It may act different on something as slick as wet grass though.
  • Options
    Hate to sound dumb - what's a rotozip?

John
  • Options
    Lube- didnt get to it :( i got the stuff but didnt have the time it got dark out after i washed my truck trust me it needed to be washed before it needed to be lubed.

Rotozip - Tool like a saw. Cuts circles???

Matt I DIdnt pull stump either.

Ryan
  • Options
    Talked to the salesman today that sold me my truck. He said they had received one of the new 2001 diesels yesterday (Friday) but had sold it already so I didn't get a chance to look at it. Rats!

I will be working at the Oklahoma State Fair in the Insurance Commissioner's booth on Sunday, usually the Chevrolet dealers have a bunch of new cars and trucks there, will look and see if they have any on display.

Anybody have any recommendation on a tow strap? Length, width, loops vs hooks, flat vs rope, brand, etc?

John
  • Options
    go to:

http://www.rotozip.com/

Kinda sorta like a big dremel...

Dean
  • Options
    Thanks. Looks like a neat tool.

John
  • Options
    great for shapes....and comes with a hole cutting tool..even has attatchment for sander discs and cutting discs...

Tow straps...the kind with elastic (10%??)..nylon type...loop at both ends...about 2" wide?....works great. Not too heavy...and rolls up neatly and fits into a gallon size bag. I keep it in the truck at all times...comes in handy now and then.

The elastic feature is nice. You hook up to the car/bush/or whatever you are going to pull....take off and when it tightens...the effect is almost like a slingshot (not that fierce though)...and almost jerks the cars out...(kinda)...it also lightens the "jolt" on your truck when it does take up the slack...unlike a chain that jolts your truck ....

I don't remember what the Lb. rating was...but I have yanked cars out of ditches 3 times with it and pulled several things out and it has never broke or even shown signs of it..

I don't remember where I got it...(Cabelas??)....but several stores will have them.....as with a chain..don't buy too cheap of one..

- Tim
  • Options
    Mine is about 20 feet long or so....

- Tim
  • Options
    bcobco Member Posts: 756
    $20
    20k pound rating
    20 feet long
    2 inches wide
    nylon webbing
    steel "hook at one end"
    stitched loop at the other

got it at pep boys...you can get 'em cheaper at walmart. haven't had to use it yet, but it's great to have just in case.

bco
  • Options
    pjcavpjcav Member Posts: 80
    Well i lubed my truck sat. It is alto easier to do it if you remove the plastic brush guard ( 5- 15mm bolts. That way you can gets your hands and grease gun up in their. Did as kyle did and replaced the one vertical zerk (its obvious, when you see it you will wonder how will you get the grease gun on it) on the passengers side with a 6mm 90 degree. Now it is real easy. Used mobil 1 synthetic. Grease gun has 18'' hose, makes it alot easier. Just though i would let you all know, plus ryan is about to do his.
    pat
  • Options
    was frozen for no reason. Very unlike Meredith. Hopefully the person who started the topic would repost his question here.

Dean
  • Options
    F.Y.I. -
    The local chevy dealers had a bunch of trucks and cars on display at the State Fair today. I was able to sneak away from my duties to get a peak at them.
    They had a 2001 2500HD with a 6.0L, 3.73, auto, air, reg cab, black, long bed. Pretty basic machine for sticker price of ~$24K. Like the grill better than my '00, otherwise looked about the same.
    Also had a Avalanche on display, but it was roped off, only ables to get to about 10 feet from it. Looked like it might be a fun machine. Saleslady said it was built on a 3/4 ton Suburban chasis. No price, no sticker - lady said they will be available at approx. starting in the mid $30's "nicely equiped". Lots and lots of people were taking an interest in the display model. The model on display also had a bunch of add-ons for the outdoor person, (ie.,agressive tires, lights, roof rack, grill guard, etc.) and it had a "North Face" decal behind the second door on the passenger side. (North Face is the manufacturer of quality outdoor gear for hikers, backpackers, climbers, etc.)

John
  • Options
    the HD grill and hood.....can't wait to get mine next summer...

...still waiting to drive one though...

- Tim
  • Options
    trucks4me2trucks4me2 Member Posts: 31
    This is for James from the frozen 2000 Silverado topic.
    You might have the ABS checked. A chirp and drag every 20 seconds regardless of speed sounds like you may have a stray voltage triggering the ABS. Take the mechanic on a test Drive.
  • Options
    meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    TRUCKS, people....

he said in exasperation!.... While cleaning his Garand....

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
  • Options
    mpalombompalombo Member Posts: 186
    I have a '00 Silverado ext. cab 3 dr. Z71. I seem to remember reading something about wind noise. I think I read that some people were putting tape on their windshields to find it. I've searched on windshield and on wind and I cant find anything about it. I think I am having this problem. I hear a noise, almost like a faint rattle. From the driver side it sounds like its coming from the pass. side, but my wife says from the pass. side it sounds like its coming from the driver side! It only happens on the highway around 65-70 MPH. I know the rubber piece around the window is not held down very good and I am wondering if this may be the problem. Does anybody know if there is a TSB on this? Thanks for any info.

Mark
  • Options
    what kind of bug guard do you have?..

- Tim
  • Options
    I have an EGR BodyGuard. But it was making noise before I put it on.
  • Options
    When i get some time maybe friday after work. Or when i rotate my tires in the next 500-750 mls. I have alot of school work this week no time for fun.

Ryan
  • Options
    the guard?..

hmmmmmm

...try and silicone the flaps down....

- Tim
  • Options
    What flaps would that be?
  • Options
    jjjoycejjjoyce Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the tranny tip. I think I bought a lemon though. I also had to have the following work done (almost all was under warranty):
    tranfer case repaired, transfer case replaced, throttle linkage repaired, power window motor replaced
    I do not misuse my truck, I primarily use it to commute. I would like my Chevy much more if it didn't spend so much time in the shop. If Chevy doesn't stand behind my tranny, I'll never buy another GM product.
  • Options
    Several months ago,in an earlier thread, someone posted a web site where you could see vehicles due into a dealer. Does anyone still have that web site.

Thanks,
    Jeff
  • Options
    bcobco Member Posts: 756
    tim's talking about the rubber flaps that go 'round the windshield. if you take your finger and put it between the rubber and the glass, you'll note it doesn't "clamp" very tightly down on the windshield. many folks have had success using various types of adhesives to solve this problem. i think tim is recommending silicone because if you ever get a crack/chip in your windshield or need it replaced for any reason, you can use a razor to slice the silicone. in turn, you don't have to buy a new rubber windshield gasket. tim, correct me if i'm wrong.

to see if this will work for you, use masking tape or some equivalent to tape the gasket to the glass. then go for a test drive. no noise? then that's your problem. silicone it up...

mine does it at about 75-80 mph, but i usually have the radio on loud enough that it doesn't bother me. so...i've been too lazy to do anything about it.

bco
  • Options
    Picked up the 2001 Rado Brochure today...said in there that OnStar is Standard on the 2001 LTs. Has anyone taken delivery of a 2001 LT yet. Talked to my dealer and he said everything he could find stated that they will be standard for the LT's. Mine is due to in next week...guess we will see then.
  • Options
    Kyle,.....uhh...kinda?.....I noticed them flaps in the cowl that goes long way with the truck...I have never had the problem....so I don't know what "flaps"?.....if what Kyle says flaps....silicone it...if what I say do it...silicone them!...and yeah...silicone...to remove if need be...

Xring/John

I have done some of that stuff...not with Garands though....more of sillouete (why can't I spell??)...with bolts...6MM and .308....at 1000...

My buddy is a gunsmith and builds custom rail guns and the such for this....as well as High priced customs......he has taken state champ a few times...and does it more than me....I just go and watch more....and do the open shoots when I can...i don't have time for the entire circuit...

I had a .308 M24 custom built a while back...HS precision stock...obermyer barrel...700 action just like the US...except mine was half the $6000 the army pays.....damn good gun...

Glad to hear some others hear share the same interests.....220Swift does this sometimes as well....(hence the name)

Onstar....I thought at carwizard.com I saw you could order it with and without Onstar on an LT?....cuz I don't want it in mine...

- Tim
  • Options
    Looking at the brochure it says it is standard on the LT.

Jeff
  • Options
    ...but Carwizard.com when you price it out says you can delete it....(but it does not lower price)

KBB.com..when you price it out....it can be done both ways...at a savings of $340....

check it out...

perhaps the early orders of 2001's had no choice?...

ask the dealer.....do you want on-star?

- Tim
  • Options
    those were for LT's...

- Tim
This discussion has been closed.