Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Real World MPG

Comments

• easygoer66easygoer66 Member Posts: 4
    You are not alone. I have a 2006, 4dr.iTouring, automatic, 3300 miles so far, and cannot get anything above 14-15mpg. Visited the dealer many times and got absolutely no satisfaction.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    My 2004 Mazda3 sedan has a 10/03 build date. :lemon:

The last few tanks of gas have been around 16 MPG. 100% city - short trip driving.

I have not ask the dealer about it - I know they will not do anything to fix it -

My daughter is using the Mazda3 as her daily driver - last week she drove a record 65 miles - one tank of gas is lasting about 3 weeks - so its really not costing much - in total $.
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    If your driving is 100% "city", how can you expect any better mileage? Do you ever get into top gear and drive for at least 1 mile before stopping again? Do you let it idle at banks, stores, etc.? Is it all stop/go where you're constantly using gas pedal then brake pedal? Is there ANY steady state driving speeds at all during your normal daily drive? All these factors play into the mpg's you're experiencing. You know, it's possible for any car, no matter how efficient the engine is, (except hybrid's) to get very low mpg as compared to their EPA est. It all depends on your driving style and how it compares to the EPA "city" parameters. :)
    I would say the normal trip is about 5 miles (one way) - the main road by our house has 45 MPH speed limit - but most people drive closer to 50. The 2004 Mazda3 has a 4 speed auto - it shifts into 4th gear at 21 MPH. So yes it spends alot of time in top gear. I noticed this while driving in school zones (20 MPH) - if I kept it at 20 or less it would stay in 3rd gear.

In my area of the "city" (just like most others)there are stop lights every few blocks - so its not normal to drive for a mile without getting stuck either - at a red light or behind slow traffic.

Maybe this is a good example -

We just bought an Acura TL - my wife and I now use it instead of the Mazda3. Since the TL has a trip computer I can tell you this - our average speed is 24 MPH and we are getting 21 MPG - before my daughter took over the Mazda we were getting around 19 MPG. So the Mazda3 is LESS efficient that an Acura TL.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    My car seems to be getting better MPG every month since I have owned it. I have an 06 Mazda 3i Touring with a manual transmission. With approximately 90% city driving I just got 29.8 and 30.1 MPG respectively on my last two fill ups. I am very pleased. For the record, while I don't abuse the car, I definitely do not baby it either. I often have quick starts, and like to rev the engine periodically. I am not running the A/C like I was in June-August, and that may be helping. Very pleased.
    I have almost the same problem with my 06/iTouring. The same way it shifts, and the same low MPG. And, yes other people that I know with larger cars, larger engines, boasting better MPG, and travelling the same routes as I am.

Mabye there is something wrong with some of these Mazda3's. The Dealer was of no help, and I really can't blame them. They sell cars, they do not create the sales pitch, such as 26/34 MPG, originating from Mazda themselves.
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    I wouldn't rely on trip computers unless you have verified it by actual mpg calculation. My Mercedes and Infiniti trip computers were very optimistic, especially in city driving scenarios. On long hwy drives, they were more accurate. Don't be surprised if you're only getting 16-18 actual city mpg with your TL. If the Mazda3 checks out normal at the dealer, something else is causing the low mpg. Driving style is the biggest factor. Top gear isn't really efficient for mpg until about 45-55 mph. Your daily driving sounds like it's perfect for a hybrid like the Prius.
    So far the TL's trip computer MPG reading is right on when compared to the manual calculation - which I do on every tank. Considering the TL is rated (EPA) 20/29 and I am getting around 21 - it seems reasonable. Most of the cars / trucks I have owned over the years seem to get right around the EPA city MPG in overall mileage - except the Mazda3 which is way below. It was sad a few times this summer when I filled up our Tahoe and the Mazda3 at the same time - and the Tahoe (V8 powered full size SUV) got better MPG than the Mazda3 (4 banger economy car) - to be honest not really a fair comparison - the Tahoe gets more highway time. But it still makes me scratch my head.
  • smallcar1smallcar1 Member Posts: 76
    They only tested the 3I and they got 18 city and 38 highway, thye seem to get lower city ratings than most who post here. NYC city driving is worse than what many in other places call city driving. Consumers got 18 city and 43 highway for the Civic and 20 city 39 highway for the Corolla. They did test a 4cyl Mazda 6 which has the same 4 cylinder as the Mazda 3 and got 16 city and 33 highway.

All these numbers were for automatics. Many posters here have manuals. In a city such as NY is there that big a diffeence in mileage between automatics and manuals?
  • akitadogakitadog Member Posts: 117
    Hi all,

We've had our car for almost 9 months now and the mileage has been abysmal. Granted, I have not checked the tire psi for a while now (which I'll do in the AM), but I don't think it can fully explain the average of about 24.5 mpg in about 65 to 70% highway driving. I mean, to not even reach the EPA mpg on the LOW end, when most of your driving is HIGHWAY with little to moderate traffic, is ridiculous. I do a 38 mile round-trip commute with maybe 8 of those as city miles. Highway speed is 65 to 70. And we got the '06 when there were unsold '05s specifically for the extra gear!

My Cooper S w/ 6-speed manual (very short gearing, no less) consistently got 27 to 28 mpg on the same circuit. And I would push that thing much harder than I do the 3.

Does anyone know of any TSBs or ECU updates for this kind of issue? I've heard a few owners have this same complaint. Could there have been a bad batch at the factory about a year ago?
  • chavis10chavis10 Member Posts: 166
    The MZR engine is terrible for economy in my opinion. I purchased my '05 3 hatch (4spd EPA 24/29) in January '05 and now have 25k miles. I live in Philly and experience real city driving with frequent stop signs. For the first 5000 miles, I was averaging 14-16 mpg. Now, I can average 22 (including occasional expressway travel) if and only if I feather the throttle which angers trailing motorists. If I drive at regular speeds and keep with the flow of traffic, it's right back to 20 mpg. My tires are always properly inflated, balanced and aligned and I make sure to climate control does not engage the air compressor (it will if you choose the floor setting and anything to the right of it). Back in the summer when fuel was expensive, I wouldn't even switch on the A/C because I was scared of fuel mileage I'd receive. As much good press as the Mazda receives, it's pitiful mileage is rarely discussed. As an economy car, it sucks. Accord/Camry/Altima all get better mileage out of their 4 cylinder/automatic transmission combinations and they are heavier vehicles.

During the summer, I was driving down to Baltimore once a week (about 95 miles each way) and would get about 26-27 mpg. I must admit, I'd be doing at least 70 mph just to keep safe on I-95 as most of the traffic is doing between 70-85 mph. Then, I took a trip to Connecticut Labor Day wknd to stretch the legs a little bit and went the long, round about way in the name of less traffic congestion. I couldn't touch the 29 hwy EPA rating (got 27.8) even with cruise control stuck between 65-70mph.
    Welcome to my world. I have an 06/3 I Touring. Only have 3600 miles but never got above 15 MPG in the city (NY). Took it on the highway and got around 23-24. It's not fair when you purchase a vehicle for the supposedly good advertised MPG and end up with this. Complaining to the Dealer was useless.

On the good side, the M3 drives great, handles well, for the money, it was the best I could have gotten fully loaded in its class. The MPG just simply sucks.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    According to Consumer Reports the mileage of most cars is not rated properly by the EPA. CR downgrades EPA's rating by 20% to 30%. For example, the combined average for highway / city driving that the Mazda3 hatchback with automatic transmission is 25 mpg according to CR. If you drive primarily in the city, I would adjust that figure downward.
  • akitadogakitadog Member Posts: 117
    The issue for me is that I would expect to get at least somewhere in between the EPA numbers considering I do 70% highway driving at reasonable speeds. Honestly, with my circuit, I was expecting at least 26 mpg (out of 25/31 EPA). The fact that I can't reach 25 mpg is bothersome.

Another anecdote: I filled up near the highway, drove all highway miles and the gas light came on at just over 320 miles. It came out to 27 mpg. I have hit the EPA highway numbers in my MINI (32 mpg) on the same route, but couldn't come close to it in the 3 (31 mpg).
    We've had our car for almost 9 months now and the mileage has been abysmal ... the average of about 24.5 mpg in about 65 to 70% highway driving. I mean, to not even reach the EPA mpg on the LOW end, when most of your driving is HIGHWAY with little to moderate traffic, is ridiculous.

The issue for me is that I would expect to get at least somewhere in between the EPA numbers considering I do 70% highway driving at reasonable speeds. Honestly, with my circuit, I was expecting at least 26 mpg (out of 25/31 EPA). The fact that I can't reach 25 mpg is bothersome.

I think you are proving my point that the EPA numbers are not representative of actual driving patterns. In the Consumer Reports September 2006 issue they rate the Mazda3 hatchback with automatic transmission at an "abysmal" 17 city and a great 35 highway with the average at 25 mpg. The fact that you are averaging nearly 25 (i.e. 24.5) confirms to me that CR is a better source for fuel economy numbers. The EPA is not doing consumers a service by providing inflated numbers.
  • belgium2yvrbelgium2yvr Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an new 07 auto and although I love the car, I'm really disappointed by my current gas mileage.
    Mostly city driving, I'm getting about 12L/100km wich the same gas mileage I was getting with a V6 auto before.
    NOT happy at all, but the car is brand new and the AC is on at all time.
    I'm wondering if using a ligher oil synthetic oil would help ?
  • sox_443sox_443 Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone have any experience with gas mileage for the 2.3 engine on an manual 07 Mazda 3?
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    1700 miles on my 07 and i average about 29mpg in 50/50 driving.
  • dridedride Member Posts: 139
    I have a manual 2005 2.3 hatch. I have been averaging 29 mpg this year. It always drops when winter starts and they change the fuel blends. I have had some road trips where I have had 35 mpg. I am SO glad I got the manual. I am also kind of surprised there is such a big mpg gap in the Mazda 3 btwn autos and manuals. 17 mpg for a compact 4 banger is terrible, even if it is in the city.
  • smallcar1smallcar1 Member Posts: 76
    In Consumer Reports buying guide they listed the known for high MPG Honda Civic as getting 18 city and 43 highway for 28 overall so in city driving there does not seem to be much difference between the two. They listed the 3I as getting 18 city and 38 highway close to the Corolla's 20 city and 39 highway yet if you look on the Corrolla forums most are pleased with their mileage. On the Honda forum most are pleased but less so then the Corolla. Does if it have something to do with the newer designs with more power having less efficiency in stop and go traffic?

Using Consumers figures in 10K miles the difference in fuel consumption between a Civic at 28MPG and a 3S at 25MPG would only be 43 gallons which would seem to be a good trade off for the extra power of the 3S for those who don't put tons of miles on their cars.
    I don't think my expectations are unreasonable. 17 mpg in the city is ridiculous for a 2850 lbs car with a 2.3L 4 cyl, period. The EPA has nothing to due with the fact that the Mazda drive train (autobox) is inefficient for whatever reason. My cousin has a TSX (5spd auto) which achieves better mileage with .1L more displacement, 40 more horsepower, and 250-300 more pounds to haul around. How do you explain that? BTW, it nearly achieves it's EPA figures despite her aggressive driving style.
    I don't think my expectations are unreasonable.

I agree with you! All that I was suggesting is that we use a reliable source of fuel economy numbers rather than those of the EPA. That way we'll all know what to expect before we purchase. Your dismay is in part due to the expectation that the EPA numbers are not being met. If you started out with the Consumer Report numbers of 25 mpg for combined highway/city driving, you may not be any happier but you would not be as surprised as you seem.

2850 lbs car
    I thought you were referring to the Mazda3 hatchback automatic which is almost 3000 lbs.

a TSX (5spd auto) ... achieves better mileage with .1L more displacement, 40 more horsepower, and 250-300 more pounds to haul around. How do you explain that?
    It's a Honda/Acura, that is, one of the best engineered vehicles around. I have not checked Consumer Reports for the Acura but I'd expect that CR would agree with you.
    BTW the Acura is closer to 50 more hp and 350 lbs. more weight than the Mazda3 hatch.
  • sssfegysssfegy Member Posts: 132
    Agree with your EPA evaluation, but disagre with"It's a Honda/Acura, that is, one of the best engineered vehicles around"(WRONG) they have a shameful record in the Le Mans"not these 1 hr. races"..lets see what Acura will do against the R10"it will be in smokes like usual :P ", or you would think they high engineered RDX would get more than 15 MPG?! Check the driver.
    Honda/Acura ... have a shameful record in the Le Mans

Really? I wasn't aware of that. Could you recommend a website that talks about this?

Honda has been in Formula 1 for a while but have not been in the winning circle that often. But, then again neither has Toyota. What I find really distressing is when an engine blows up in a race. What is the audience supposed to think then? The manufacturer/driver is testing the limits of the machine, or, these guys don't know what they're doing. I've never seen a Toyota or Honda blow up on the highway or the local mall, thank goodness. :blush:
    Le Mans? How did this thread go from economy car MPG - to EPA ratings - to Le Mans?

Do you think many car shoppers say - I am not going to buy a Civic because Honda did not win at Le Mans?
    Do you think many car shoppers say - I am not going to buy a Civic because Honda did not win at Le Mans?

Well, as it turns out Honda was using a marketing campaign along these lines recently. Honda had a promotion using a checkered race flag and telling consumers to come in fast not to miss out on the action. The campaign ran during the period of the 2006 F1 races. What do you think Honda would do if their drivers won the F1 races? One might even ask, isn't part of the purpose of F1, Le Mans or any of these races to promote the brand?

Does this marketing work? Well, that's another story. I suspect like other media messaging the answer may not always be black and white. For example, GM may have fixed many of its quality issues on its vehicles but the long held view that the product line is deficient in quality is difficult to change. Which doesn't mean that they shouldn't market the positive message, but rather that it can take a while for the message to take effect.
    Here you go: www.lemans.org ,yes Toyota has a worse record with a few engines catching fire! It's the most respected indurance race (majorly for perfect engineering under severe racing conditions)...so you get the conclusion: high engineering/ high quality production line are two different statements! :P
    I understand the NASCAR connection - win on Sunday - sell on Monday - but if you ask every single person than purchased a new Mazda3 or Civic or Corolla or Focus or Cobalt - or any other 4 banger econo box - in the last 10 years - who won Le Mans - what % would be able to tell you?

If NO ONE KNOWS - AND NO ONE CARES - WHY IS THIS PART OF THIS DISCUSSION?
    Z71- you usually go back to the first thread that started it, and then you would make the conclusion! ;)
    BTW: Cobalt should not be included in the comparison..it is way sub-par to the rest :P
  • aspen4aspen4 Member Posts: 22
    I have a 2004 Mazda3,with the 2.3 engine-4
    speed automatic.
    I drive conservatively. About 50/50 city-
    highway driving. I get 24/26winter
    time-summer time I get 27/29. Highway driving
    I am up in the thirties-32/34. Average about
    60 to 65 MPH.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Are you driving automatics with the overdrive button off? Or are you driving manuals in fourth gear on the highway?

I'm aggressive as hell with my 5-speed 2005 Mazda3 hatch, and after 29,000 miles, I continue to get 27-28 mpg commuting, and 32-34 on the highway. I am astounded to read the claims about getting under 20 mpg. Something is very wrong or you're keeping your transmission in the wrong gear.

Meade
    I can't find the overdrive button on my 2004 Mazda3 automatic - maybe because it doesn't have one!

Still don't know much about Mazda's I see :P
  • coosamtncoosamtn Member Posts: 47
    New car, 320 total miles, got 31.1 with 20% City, 80% Freeway 70 MPH with cruse on. When I started out this morning it was 15 degrees and it was below 25 degrees for most of the run
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I would not use cruise until after break in - what does the manual say?
  • coosamtncoosamtn Member Posts: 47
    Good point. It never hurts to read the instructions
    Dealership told me not to use cruise till after the 500 mile mark.
  • grandadturismograndadturismo Member Posts: 12
    '07 MS3 GT trim

only 326 miles on OD, went on a Thanksgiving Day trip to visit the "outlaws" (i.e. the wife's parents). we already have our winter gas here in CT, so an increased amount of ethanol in the fuel which hurts fuel economy some.

nearly all highway. cruising speed varied, depending upon which hwy from 55mph to 65mph. did some 70mph cruising and passing.

filled 'er up at the same pump in the exact same fashion as i did before leaving on the ~260mile round trip.

28.7mpg (calculated; don't remember what the driver info center might have read) for the trip which was ~98% hwy.

first 326mi avg ~32mph according to the driver info center and avg 25.5 mpg (calculated; don't remember what the driver info center said). did a lot of non-hwy driving the first 326miles, but was otherwise very gentle with accleration (only several bursts) and braking.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    My wife's 2002 Protege5 is an automatic and has an overdrive button on the side of the shift handle. I personally don't drive automatics -- they suck in general -- so I don't know a whole lot about the automatic in the 3. I know the automatic in the old-generation Protege had one, so I assumed the new car had one as well. My mistake.

Geesus. I see little has changed attitude-wise since I was here six months ago. There's little reason to stay when one post in six months results in another belittling reply from a disgruntled Mazda owner who won't just sell his car and get over it. This used to be such a friendly and open-minded place. Gone again -- bye bye!

Meade
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    You're right about the nastiness in this forum...but most of the forums now have a nasty undertone actually. Kinda makes one miss the old days when people were friendly & you northern guys getting together in state parks just to meet & barbeque.
    Still lovin our 3s. Got her some new shoes last week after the wifey picked up shrapnel in the left rear shoe. Bought B. F. Goodrich Traction T/A's and am quite pleased with them. I must say, we have the best of both worlds. We have the 3s for some spitied driving & the Civic for the practical side of driving. Very happy indeed!

The Sandman :)
    How you do compare the ride quality of the 3 to the Civic?
  • jcrystaljcrystal Member Posts: 8
    I'm amazed by some of these reports on mpg. I have 2500 miles now on my 2007 Mazdaspeed3, and when driving to work (55-60, mostly on cruise) I'm getting 28-30 mpg. Worse for city driving, but I do mostly near highway. I really thought the difference between regular Mazda3 and the Speed3 would be much greater....
  • grandadturismograndadturismo Member Posts: 12
    28-30mpg good for you. 55mph & cruise control is the way to do it.

I figure, come next spring when "winter" gas here in CT goes away and things loosen up a bit more in the engine that i'll do better than the 28.7 i recorded (trip finished with under 600mi on Odo).

The Cd of the MS3 is not real good (0.32, IIRC, but don't quote me on that number as it could be 0.01 or 0.02 higher - i'm forgetting), so higher velocities will have even more of an effect on MPG than it did in my '01 Audi A6 2.7T (despite its size, it had that nice gentle curvature to its top line helping to produce very low drag - a very low 0.28 Cd).

how about hills in your case? i'm in CT and my commuting route is rather hilly with some quite steep - this is NOT what is usually envisioned as Hwy driving. Like to see how it would do in flat Florida!

just did another MPG check today over the last 238 driving miles - been getting on it quite a bit more since it hit 600miles (now just shy of 800 miles). Did a fair number of full throttle accelerations most 3rd & 4th, but three from a dead stop on up to 80-90mph. Wasn't overly gentle at other times either, keeping the revs up a bit more by not being one gear higher than i really needed to be (the wide and ample torque plateau really is forgiving if driving one gear too high) - not quite like driving an auto slush box, but as close as one can get aside from a sequential MT - in a gasoline fueled car anyways; ignoring diesels here.

So after fill up (same gas station; same pump; pumped very slow; same painfully slow pumping method in fact) avg. 24.2 mpg despite this atypical (for me, at least) acceleration behavior.

good luck with your MS3.

Got Rice? You betcha' !!
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Eventhough both cars wear the same size shoes, 205/55/16, I find the Civic to be a bit more floaty compared to the 3s. The 3 seems more of a drivers car than the Civic. The 3 even shifts smoother, but this could be due to the larger displacement engine. W do e pay a penalty at the pumps though. But compared to what was out there at the time we purchased the 3, it boiled down to the 3 or the Jetta. We decided to stay away from a first year VW and went with the Mazda. Very happy with that decision. Not to fond of VW reliability and for that matter, any German brand. I much prefer Japanese brands and will steer the wife in that direction with her next ride. She wants an entry level luxury brand but in a 3 size. Lexus would be my first choice...the IS possibly.
    Gonna be fun to go car shopping when she's ready in about 3 years from now!

The Sandman :)
    I wished I had leased my car instead of deciding to finance. I figured I'd always keep the 3 as a daily driver and one day maybe lease a nicer car for the weekends after this car is paid off but this terrible mileage makes me want to dump it. I have 25.5k miles and averaging 230-240 miles per tank. Example, I've driven only 115 miles at the half way mark on my current tank which will be right on track for about 240 miles by the time I fill up. The pump will usually give me 11.8 - 12.4 gallons which is about 20 mpg. Again, my 3.8L V-6 equipped Olds Intrigue (about 3500 lbs) gets the same overall mileage. I've been sending my bank $50-70 extra per month to hopefully pay this thing off a couple months early and get into something else that gets decent mileage. I hear Saturn has a new Opel based hatch coming to the market soon so 2009 can't come soon enough for me to dump this 3. :)
  • reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    That's too bad about your 3...those numbers seem awfully low compared to what other people are posting. Of course, my ugly SUV and its 16 mpg leave me in envy of most people on here!
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    Your numbers are even worse than mine...there is a PCM (computer update) from the dealer that should get you better mileage.
    Can you please provide specifics with regards to the PCM re-flash? My dealership is completely inept but is in the most convenient location for me to utilize. How's this: I filled up this morning having driven only 230 miles on the last tank (87 octane). Tire pressure was checked and within spec. The car took 13.1 gallons of fuel so that is 17.6mpg. I've noticed the pumps have switched over to a higher ethanol (winter) mix so I can surely expect this type of horrific mileage to continue during the colder temperatures.
  • claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    I finally got to record my first mileage numbers since I got my car. I was very concerned about my initial calculations based on the fuel gauge and miles travelled. My old car would stay around F for a good 100 miles, and then once it got to 1/2 full it would drop like a rock. Luckily, the Mazda seems to be much more consistent, though over 1/4 of a tank only took less than 9 gallons to fill, not consistent with the actual size of the tank.

Once I actually filled up, I got 177.6 miles on 8.904 gallons, for 19.95 mpg. Most of these miles were in town and at less than 500 total miles clocked on the odo.

I expect the mileage to increase as I get the engine broken in. I have already travelled about 90 miles on this tank and have barley gone under 3/4, much better than it was last time, though I have clocked a bit more highway miles.

'07 hatch 2.3l 5AT
  • tomkozskitomkozski Member Posts: 39
    Hello all,

I have a 2006 Mazda 3i with manual transmission, bought 07/2006. Have approximately 8300 miles on it. Fill it up with 87 octane. I average about 30 mpg with 50/50 city-highway driving, with some fill-ups coming in at 32mpg and some 29mpg. Lowest ever for me was 28 mpg. My commute to work is all highway (10 mile commute on I-66 into downtown DC), but about half the time there's busy stop-and-go traffic.

On a recent DC-Chicago-DC road trip for Christmas break, I averaged about 34 mpg, driving around 75 mph. On one tank, where most of the driving was done in flat Ohio and Indiana, I got up to 37 mpg, still driving around 75 mph.

So, overall, I'm satisfied with my car's mpg numbers.