Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Aspen

rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0506/06/A01-205249.htm

Dumb. Dumb. DUMB!

Well, so much for the premium Jeep Commander which will be sold in the same showroom.

Bob

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I guess it's not much of a loss because either way DaimerChrysler makes money.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I'm just curious to know what name they'll revive from the past for this new truck. Hopefully it won't look anything like that Commander thing.

M
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Makes perfect sense to me. Large SUV sales, including lux models, start their downhill slide, so why not gussy up a Durango and float it on an otherwise clean marina?

Every indicator is that car-based crossovers are where the market will continue to head. Why not focus on making the Pacifica what it was supposed to be in the first place: a Sport Tourer?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Makes perfect sense to me. Large SUV sales, including lux models, start their downhill slide, so why not gussy up a Durango and float it on an otherwise clean marina?

I'm sure the Jeep arm of DC are real happy about this turn of events, since it will compete head-to-head with their new 3-row seating Commander, which will be sold on the same showroom floor.

Bob
    Yeah Bob, it gets a shoulder-shrug from this end too, that's for sure.

I was beginning to think they really had all their poop together at this end of the DCX world, but this is shades of debacles past.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    I'm sure the marketing people at Chrysler have a basis for speculation. Of course, marketing people don't always seem to have their act together, either.

The Durango is a very good product. Although I think the previous generation was much nicer looking, I have to say the latest generation Durango is much more refined and nicer to drive. The Hemi power most certainly makes a good package even more appealing.

Since unlike most other manufacturers, Chrysler is not mile deep with SUV models, the Durango being the only one in the stable. GM and Toyota are both experiencing model confusion, in my opinion, because they make so many different SUVs. I think Chrysler can afford this model variation better than anyone else in the market at the moment, although I, too, believe that the current market contraction doesn't bode well for a new model. It would be better, I think, if Jeep didn't have the Commander at the same time.

Then again every once in a while the marketing types will surprise us. The profit margin, even if the Chrysler version saps some Durango sales, will be higher.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Jeep and Chrysler are sold in the same dealerships, so why have two vehicles (Commander & Chryango) competing with one another? Jeep is the brand with the SUV image, not Chrysler. Selling a Chrysler SUV only weakens the Jeep image.

I feel the same way about Jeep getting ready to market a soft-roader. If that vehicle needs to be sold, sell it as a Dodge or Chrysler, but not Jeep. The brands will start to blend together, and their respective marketing images just get muddy and confused. It just doesn't make sense.

Bob
    The brands will start to blend together, and their respective marketing images just get muddy and confused

That's what happened to GM. GM has too many redundant divisions with no clear image with too many cars.
    I'm traveling that road too. Considering that the Jeep brand equity has been a major factor in keeping the Chrysler name afloat more than once, why risk sullying it further in any way? Moreover, what does Chrysler stand for, and shouldn't that be remarkably different from Dodge - synonomous with "truck" and "performance", IMO, and Jeep - synonomous with "SUV" and "off-road".

Indeed, with so potent an example as GM, you'd think this lesson would have been learend before now. Even if the Durango is a great package, who needs yet another lux SUV in a pot filled with entries now losing luster?
    Somebody remind me to use the speel chucker button next time I exceed three syllables...
    I say scrap the Chrysler luxury SUV, and give them another cross-over instead. The Pacifica isn't bringing in many buyers...
    I don't want to be mean or anything, but I hope it flops like a halibut in a dinghy.

Aspen. Sheesh.

On the bright side, it's not like they're dragging a once-great name through the mud of "repurposing" (see also "Charger").
    ;-}
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    What's so bad about Aspen? IMO, it's a lot better than some alpha numerical name, such as "LX470".

I was thinking Chrysler would use a name such as Conquest, Cordoba or Imperial but Aspen sounds great.

I'm glad the vehicle has a real name, not something alpha numerical like FX45, QX56, X5, ML500, G500, H2, etc.
    You never drove an Aspen, did you? ;-]

I think full-size, body on frame SUVs are damn stupid to begin with, and Chrysler getting into a rapidly fading picture even moreso, which is why my disdain. The future is (according to every industry analyst) that car-based crossovers are the next wave before we touch down aagin and actually admit we wanted wagons in the first place, but didn't want anyone to know we had spouses and kids!

I think it's a bad business decision.

As far as the name goes, my points are A) the Aspen name was nothing to be proud of whatsoever, and B) it's OK to stick it on some pudknocker SUV because it can't be sullied any further that it already is!
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Yeah I too wondered why they'd opt for another SUV with the tide turning against them. If they 300's success gave them a good feeling and some extra cash, why not spend a little of that on the 300's interior in the way of better plastics? Or more importantly spend that money on the upcoming Sebring/Stratus sedan replacements, like in making them non-rental cars. I applaud the 300 and all, but they really need their next generation mid-size family sedans and minvans to be similar hits to keep things going because eventually the 300's time in the spotlight will be over.

M
    Can we rename this forum to Chysler Aspen since we know what this future vehicle will be called??
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Done!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Thanks! :)
  • cougar87cougar87 Member Posts: 30
    I like the name, despite the awful connotations it may have sharing it with a car that had one of its car of the year awards yanked away pretty quicky- IIRC. (I know that it was a late 70's Chrysler product won a COTY award from Consumer Guide or a similar publication and had it pulled because of all the problems they had!) The name itself is not what I'm so unsure of...

The idea of bringing a mid-sized, truck based SUV to Chrysler, however, is not one I endorse. SUVs, as symbols of the virtues of excess which many people in America believe in so lovingly, are on the decline because of gas prices. Let's face it, they aren't economical to drive- especially for those people who buy them where they hardly ever get an inch or two of snow (love the logic behind that, even areas with harsher winters I think could do without them) and they're just wasting gas and polluting. GM and Ford have seen steep sales declines because they invested too much money and attention in their trucks, without paying attention to cars- especially the mid-sized and full-sized segments. So not only do I think it's a stupid idea on a personal level, I also think it won't be a good move for business.

Chrysler has a good full-sized car in the 300, and is working on a replacement for the Sebring. The PT Cruiser is as close enough to a compact as they need. The way I see it, they have a decent lineup already when you consider the minivan offerings, but if they want to add anything I'd say something to slot below or above the Sebring depending on its size. Cars are bound to become popular, even if we see some relief in gas prices it's not really economical or sensible to be being trucks, and the more distinct choices in terms of bread and butter cars, the better.
    It's a good name, IMO, but the timing of the launch is terrible at a time when gas prices are rising.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I think Chrysler's timing looks pretty good. If well done, a Chrysler Aspen SRT-8 could give the '07 Escalade some serious competition.
  • gsansongsanson Member Posts: 1
    The reason why Chrysler is choosing to make a full size SUV even though trends show SUV popularity declining is because it already exists. Why spend all that money developing and testing and engineering a brand new vehicle when the Dodge Durango has done all that already. The fact is it will cost substantially less to design a few cosmetic interior/exterior upgrades than a whole new vehicle. Chrysler already has a crossover, the Pacifica, but no full size SUV, and while the market for one is small, Chrysler isn't gambling much here, with only a few sales it could already pay for itself many times over.
    since the development costs are low, even if they only move a few units they could make money.
  • 79customd79customd Member Posts: 87
    Chrysler should cram a smaller displacement better fuel economy engine in it a give it the name the SEMI HEMI :)
    I think this is probably the first photo to come out. The Aspen looks great.

I think it looks pretty good also- there isn't too much chrome, the front end isn't too overwhelming- it looks just right.

I think I like this more than the Durango...
    We shall wait for pictures of the interior...

I wonder how much they spent on this project.
    Hopefully it's not some redressed Durango interior with extra wood and chrome. The QX56 and LX470 are guilty of doing this with their lower cousins.

Cadillac made the same mistake back in 2002 but now the Escalade interior looks different from the Yukon/Tahoe and has a high quality look.

The full size luxury SUV is really getting competitive, with the new Escalade already here, a new Navigator coming and a LX470 replacement not too far away.
    I like the exterior styling, but now we will have to see whether they spent enough money on the interior. I'll be impressed if they put in a console mounted shifter. A column shifter just serves to remind you of the vehicle's pickup truck roots.
    http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/01/10/detroit-2006-2007-chrysler-aspen/

Sorry rcf8000, it's got a column mounted shifter - and even worse the Durango interior. :cry:

I don't find the interior to be as good as stylish as the Navigator, Escalade, or LX470. Come on Chrysler what were you thinking?

Well...at least the exterior styling is nice.
    They just slapped some fake looking wood on the Durango's interior. Not good enough.
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    If I had to choose between Durango and Aspen, it will be a no brainer. I think this was a good move for Chrysler. Someone like me who currently drives a Grand Cherokee and looking forward moving up, Apen is very appealing. I would not have considered the Durango but will consider the Aspen.
    I think the exterior apperance alone will bring some new buyers in. Plus this didn't cost them much to throw together.

It looks a lot more refined than a Durango, that's for sure.
    There is no doubt that that Chrysler Aspen looks refined. Great move for DC. The only thing that needs improving which the Durango does have is good looking rims. Those rims are from LHSs, and Concordes. As far as function. The durango is a solid foundation to build Chryslers first full sized SUV.
  • jonpnjjonpnj Member Posts: 52
    I think that is one handsome, well balanced SUV. Even though its bloodline is from the Durango, it has a more elegant look. Even the faux wood is somewhat convincing in the photos. I believe it will be a winner in the marketplace. What they have to do is put in the Liberty diesel engine for those fuel economy minded folks.
    The Durango is supposed to be getting a hybrid version in the next year, so that'll probably be used in the Aspen. Perfect for those fuel economy minded folks.
    I think that Chrysler has a great opportunity to promote the Aspen as a competitor to the new Tahoe. Consider that the Aspen has fold-into-floor third row seating, more third row headroom and legroom, more cargo room behind the third row, and more HP and torque. It'll probably cost less, too.
    What's the expected price on an Aspen?
    Since production of the Aspen is so far off, I doubt that anyone knows what the price is going to be. But here's my guess: $2000 more than a comparably equiped Durango. That still keeps it below a Tahoe LT.
    Not as much as you would think tho. Chevy tried hybrid versions in there Silverado 1500 and only wound up with 1mpg better than a cheaper more common, easier to work on petrol engine. Expect similar results in the Durango hybrid.
  • myamya Member Posts: 2
    I have a 76 Aspen that I only use during the summer months. If this new one looks as good and stands up as long as mine has, you could say that Chrysler has done a good job. Though I realize not to many people drive 76 Aspens.
    I saw a few in Detroit earlier today. Not bad, but I didn't get to spend much time as there was a small crowd around it. (I didn't even see the Camaro, since at all times there was at least a huge crowd around it)
  • steelydan0613steelydan0613 Member Posts: 144
    79customd, I read a road test review on the Chevy Silverado Hybrid, and the Chevy spokesman stated that the intention of the hybrid was not just to get better mpg, but to be a "building contractors workhorse."

Apparently, the onboard generator in the Chevy can power all sorts of heavy-duty saws, etc. , eliminating the need for these contractor guys to lug around a separate gas generator.

I this case, the "battery pack" works whether the Silverado is moving or not!
  • wyndham23wyndham23 Member Posts: 1
    I agree. They shouldnt be making fwd jeeps or chrystler SUVs. They need to keep a defined image so regular consumers will know the difference. They don't want to end up like GM where their vehicles are all nearly identical give them no defining line up. I think chrysler is doing this to compete with full size SUVs like the Escalade. They should concentrate on crossovers,sedans,and possibly a few hybrids.
    -W23
  • andrewmchorneyandrewmchorney Member Posts: 6
    Hello

I am wondering if anyone has pictures of the interior colors. I know the two combinations are two-tone Slate Gray and Dark Khaki with Light Greystone. These are the same colors as the 2007 Durango. It will help me decide.

Andrew
  • jahoskjahosk Member Posts: 1
    Anybody know when the Aspens will be hitting the dealership floors for general availability?
    I have not heard anything from my Dodge dealer who also sells Chrysler vehicles. I am expecting my 2007 Dodge Durango order in 3 weeks.
  • mayhermayher Member Posts: 41
    Drove past a Chrysler dealer today and saw an Aspen sitting out front. IMHO Chrysler missed the boat. This is nothing more than a thinly veiled reskinned Durango. List on this Limited was just over 40K. The dash assembly was lifted directly out of the Durango,complete with the hard grainy plastic and shiny cheap wood. The leather seats were not the fine corinthian leather of old. In their place were coarse textured two tone leather seats that would have been at home in the Aspen of years gone by. The interior in general was not what you would expect to find in a $40K + SUV. The exterior lacked styling and imagination. This unit lacked running boards, which could have been used due to the stepin height. Because of this you could see the unibody/frame when approaching from the side. Almost everything was an option, including $30.00 for Deluxe floormats (Kind of reminds you of the old times). The dealer kept going out of his way to tell me that there were significant differences between the Aspen and Durango. I think he was trying to convince himself as well as me. After looking at this, I find it hard to believe that this will sell any better than the old Aspen. I hope Chrysler doesn't have high expectations for this SUV. Guess I should have kept driving when I saw this gem.
    I have only seen pictures of the Aspen. I saw an 07 Durango SLT last Friday at the dealership where I have ordered an 07 Durango. I am getting a Durango AWD Limited with almost every option and the sticker is 41,400. I did not get middle bucket seats, heated middle seats or the navigation system.

My Durango is being built as I post this message. It is now in the trim state and was painted last week.