Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica Real World MPG

Comments

• ms_mayorms_mayor Member Posts: 113
    Around town: (primary type of driving...I'm a stay-at-home mom who shuttles kids around) 18 mpg.

Highway: (vacations, etc.) 23 mpg, averaging 65 mph
  • rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    I get about the same.

You can get the official numbers if you drive it kindly (engine RPM at lower than 2500 RPM).
  • okpacificaokpacifica Member Posts: 11
    2005 AWD Touring
    11mpg town
    22-25 hiway

16 overall average
  • redwingsfanredwingsfan Member Posts: 17
    Wife gets about 16.5 City and we got 21.5 to 22 driving from KC to FL and back last spring.
  • nuruc7nuruc7 Member Posts: 98
    I get 20.1 - 20.5 between RI and MD with the AC on, in my AWD 2005. It has 27k miles on it now. Speeds are variant. It typically uses 3/4 a tank to make the trip
  • tristan1tristan1 Member Posts: 39
    Hey guys, Just bought an 04 awd with all the options exept the 19" rims. That limited pac is awesome!!! I wanted to get one but my budget won't let me.I noticed the chrome window/pillar molding is pretty sweet. How's the fitting? I'm thinking about getting a set in ebay but not sure on how will it fit.

MPG on mine a/c on cruising @ 70mph. is 23.2 On rush hour heavy traffic with a/c on is 10.6 I do used 93 octane. I noticed I burn more gas with windows open, it kinda gives a parachute effect.

One more question maybe it's a stupid question but I bought my pac @ $26,700 it has 17k on it. All the options and runs very nice. You guys think it's a good price?
  • pscdocpscdoc Member Posts: 93
    The chrome window pillar fit just fine. You just have to be careful when you put it on doing it very slowly taking your time to get it just right. If you rush it you will regret it. Good luck.

As for the price you paid for your pac, I think its a fair price, but you may want to ask the people who are on the 'Prices Paid' board.
  • kapesportskapesports Member Posts: 1
    city driving.. we get 18.9 mpg.. :)
    really nice
  • pscdocpscdoc Member Posts: 93
    05 AWD Limited

16-17 mpg - Mixed City/Highway
    22-24 mpg - Highway Only
  • klekle Member Posts: 3
    Hi Houston:

We just returned from our trip and although we had a great time, our average gas mileage on super highways was only 18.8 mile/gal @ an speed of 75 MPH. It is beginning to look like we will be averaging much less than the dealers posted MPG. When we purchased the Pac, we expected less than the posted numbers but not this low. With the cost of gas on the rise, we would like to find ways that will improve our consumption. If you are aware of options, please feel free to suggest. Although we are let down with our miles/gal, we still remain pleased with our purchase. The DVD option took a good amount of stress out of our trip.
  • axr6axr6 Member Posts: 42
    For the 2000+ miles that I had driven my "05 Touring, I average close to 21 MPG. That is because I hardly do any stop and go driving. The last check was for a distance of 399.7 miles, about 80 of which was on hilly, winding country roads, about 20 in city and 300 on open freeways cruising at a hair under 70 MPH. That trip returned 22.1 MPG.

My worst check was 17.8 MPG and the best 23.9 MPG. I use 87 octane gas.

After reading some of the low MPGs from others, I am quite satisfied with these figures.
    Gee 23.9mpg on a limited, I used 87 and the EVIC read as high as 23 - 24, but it ate gas like a hog :P , so I figured it was way off. Sicne I have been using 89 it has been very close to what I used. My last trip to MD I used 20 gallons for 369 miles 18mpg - a little dip, might be stinky gas or maybe those oil changes are really good and I am over the 3000 mile mark :confuse: . Or I could have hit it a little hard on the pedal. Overall still very happy with the PAC!

Nuru
    Silver 2005 Touring AWD
    28500k and climbing!
    Hmm, you make me want to try 87 again. With the sudden GOVT orchestrated, Oil company string pulling artificial Gas price increases, I may have to!

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SteelyDan, the posted highway mpg is not at 75mph, isn't at 55mph?. I have ranged from 17.5 to 21 mpg on a combo of street and highway. Lately highway, it has been 20.1, but I had a dip on my last trip down to 18 mpg. but my average speed was probablhy up therea little.
    Me too I got better mileage when using cheap gas (87).
    No complaints !
  • locnardlocnard Member Posts: 3
    05 TOURING

I bought a used Pac 15,000 on the clock. Now just over 20,000. I live in southern Cali and commute 90 or so miles a day. Was running 87 from Costco with no AC and mostly freeway. Getting usual 21.5 to 23. Tried Costco 91.Mileage went down to 19.1.Now with summer beach traffic I am taking more back roads and tried running Mobil 89 per manufacture spec. Back road twistys and ac full blast getting 23.5!! Mobile is about thirty cents more a gallon for the mid grade than Costco and the as Costco super. But I can see the diff. Maybe Costco is just that. Cheap Gas!
    Well I think there is something going on with my engine. My Gas mpg dropped on the last few trips to 18.45mpg for some reason. I am gonna take it to Chrysler to get it checked out.
    You know i see the posts about bad gas. Maybe that is part of it? :(
  • miguel2miguel2 Member Posts: 5
    Hello there nuruc7,
    My name is Miguel and I am a Marketing Representative with the Chrysler Information Center. To clear up any confusion, I’d like to provide you with information on the EPA’s estimated fuel mileage ratings for the Chrysler Pacifica together with the respective speed at which the highway fuel rating is derived. In addition to that, I can provide you with some helpful tips on how to lower fuel consumption. Do you mind if I join the conversation?

Thanks in advance,

Miguel M.
  • frankefranke Member Posts: 3
    Welcome, Miguel - Looking foward to any enlightment you can supply.
  • miguel2miguel2 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks franke!

The EPA’s estimated fuel mileage ratings for the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica are as follows:

Pacifica 3.8L SOHC 24V V6 engine with 210hp @ 5,000rpm
    2005 EPA estimated mpg (city/hwy)(FWD, AWD) 18/25
    4-speed transaxle w/AutoStick®
    Touring/Limited 3.5L SOHC 24V V6 engine with 250hp @ 6,400rpm
    2005 EPA estimated mpg (city/hwy)(FWD, AWD) 17/23, 17/22
    4-speed transaxle w/AutoStick®

All vehicles are tested in a laboratory utilizing a dynamometer – a machine that simulates driving environment(s). These test(s) are performed by a professional driver who “drives” the vehicle through two tests – known as schedules – to simulate a “typical” driving experience. Driving statistics for every schedule are monitored on a computer screen located to the left of the driver. Essentially, the vehicle undergoes two major schedules that mirror city and highway driving respectively. The schedule for city driving, which starts with a cold engine, is representative of urban rush hour traffic with a high level of stop and go’s. The second schedule/test is for highway driving and is performed with a warmed-up engine at an average speed of 48mph. This test/schedule does not include any stopping or idling.

Now, to the tips!

There are many factors that play a role in optimizing your vehicle's fuel efficiency. Sometimes the markedly small differences can improve your vehicles overall fuel economy. For example, using the correct/recommended octane level of gas, refraining from using the proverbial "heavy foot" as much as possible and changing your vehicle's engine oil at or a little before the recommended interval are all valid factors that can sometimes be overlooked because of increasing gas prices, aggressive driving habits etc. In addition, one must also consider road and weather conditions as these things will in fact play a role.

Maintaining your vehicle at the posted speed limit (I know that sometimes we all tend to run a little late). Observing the speed limit not only saves you money, it can save much more. Trying to remove unnecessarily heavy weight from your vehicle. Excess idling is also a concern; although seemingly harmless, how many miles per gallon do you get while the vehicle is just sitting there? And last, but not least, using your vehicles cruise control system whenever possible. Combining all of these variables together will undoubtedly boost your vehicles overall fuel efficiency. If there are any other questions that you may have, I would be more than happy to help!

Miguel M.
  • docsteamdocsteam Member Posts: 1
    I've had my FWD Pacifica for about a year now. It has 27k miles on the odometer. Gas mileage started out at about 20-21mpg and stayed in that vicinity until recently, when it dropped to 15-16mpg. I talked to the dealer's service advisor, and he told me that there is no known problem that would cause this drop in mileage. I'm really disappointed, because my last two cars (Ford Crown Vic and Mercury Grand Marquis) have been V-8 powered and both have gotten 26-27mpg.

Anyone have any ideas on how to improve my gas mileage?
  • aliwil07aliwil07 Member Posts: 5
    I have a touring AWD and depending on which gas station I use....on the highway, 80mph average - I got 24.6 mpg this weekend. In Atlanta day to day traffic, I only get about 16.8. I have tried different stations in the area and actually reset the calculation step with each and have seen a pretty good range in what I get. This has helped me determine which gas station is better for my money and mileage! I actually get less mpg out of Shell than I do from Kroger!
  • anniecanniec Member Posts: 8
    Well, we just got back from a trip so I can say definitely:

16 MPG city (ugh)
    21 MPG highway (not L.A. highways - the open ones)

Good thing I love the car.
    So Miguel, you are telling us to run the car at the speed limit, load it lightly, and you are saying that the gas mileage test is done under optimum conditions. Okay, then it sounds like the mileage we are seeing 18 - 20 is actually what we should be seeing versus the advertised mpg :cry: . I seem to average 18 - 20mpg through most driving, and now with Gas being a lot higher than when I purchased the car, I am driving a lot slower and keeping my foot off of it as much as possible. I find that if I keep the rpm under 3000, the gas mileage goes into the 20's consistently.

I have a question what is the Chrysler position on using synthetic oil? Can we run 6000 miles on the synthetic oil? :surprise:
    anniec; how many miles do you have on that car?
    I think you are definitely on to something as I notice a dip in mpg with certain gas stations too. Since I am running the same course at the same times and typically the same driving style, the variance should not be a large delta - 8 mpg! :cry:
  • thimmakerthimmaker Member Posts: 33
    Consistently get 23.5 to 24 mpg on our 600 mile trips to Tenn. from Chicago area including the mountains down I-75. Around 17 in town average. Close to 59,000 miles and still no major problems. Even the brake pads still have a lot of life but thats probably all the highway driving.
  • aliwil07aliwil07 Member Posts: 5
    The other thing is to try to fill up early in the morning. The underground tanks have not had the sun beating down on them and the gas is actually more "compact" you will get more gas by volume when it is cooler!!! I am using the same station - and filling up at 6:30am. for the last two weeks I have gotten a consistent 18.4 on the EVIC - 18.2 actual!
    You know I gotta try that. I can fill up at 6:30am and I will do that tomorrow morning and sede what kinda mileage I get. :surprise:
  • anniecanniec Member Posts: 8
    About 39K. It's an AWD 2004.
  • tristan1tristan1 Member Posts: 39
    How many miles do you guys get on a full tank?
  • thimmakerthimmaker Member Posts: 33
    I generally drive from Chicago area to Lexington ,Ky. and buy gas there which is about 400 miles and it usually takes 17 1/2 to 18 Gals. to refill it.
  • nelson33nelson33 Member Posts: 100
    05 AWD PAC TOURING. I'm getting 16.5mpg. I drive about 10miles one way about 80% HW 20 city. Unfortunately, I encounter some traffic on the highway that hurts my mpg. Long Highway? I'm getting 22mpg at 65mph w. wife, 2kids and stuff.
    Getting better mpg has now become my new driving game. Keep the speed steady and low, try not to hit the breaks or accelerate too hard, taking out all non essentials to decrease weight. Although I must say, since I did that, my numbers went up. I was getting 14mpg before, driving that same route.
  • b25nutb25nut Member Posts: 202
    With 42,000 miles on my '04 AWD Pacifica, for the past month of driving every day in mixed highway/city driving, I have averaged 19.3 mpg. On the highway, I am rarely under 70 mph. I use 89 Chevron gas.
  • nelson33nelson33 Member Posts: 100
    I would be happy w. 19mpg on my Pac. You must have a little more highway time than I do to get 19mpg. Who knows, I only have 2000 miles on the odo. Maybe it will improve. I tell you what, high gas prices have sure made me a better driver. I notice alot of SUV and pickup owners driving a little slower and smoother since the fuel prices went up. Next thing you know, automotive fatalities might drop. You never know.

LOL Maybe if I lost a few pounds, take the lint out of my navel, maybe I could add another .15mpg.
  • steelydan0613steelydan0613 Member Posts: 144
    nelson33, that's hilarious...........I agree, after we jettison all of the excess weight out of the Pacifica, we have to start working on the driver/passengers themselves.........maybe there will be an alarm that goes off when your 300 lb coworker gets in for a lunch ride.....you can collect some sort of tariff calculated by the Pacifica as you drive.........
  • lorne3lorne3 Member Posts: 1
    I would be very happy with 19 MPG.
    I have been getting between 12 and 13 consistently for the first 6000 miles.
    As the car checks out ok on various diagnostic machines I am told these is nothing wrong with it but it appears to me that there definitely is a problem.
    Lately it was moved up to 14/15 MPG so perhaps 'breaking in' is happening?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    we're at about 1200 miles or so on our '05 AWD and we've been averaging a hair over 19 mpg in mixed driving (around 70-80% hwy).

Not outstanding, but I'm hoping for some improvement as it breaks in more. We used to get 20-21 average in our Pilot, so its not far from that, and, in its defense, the Pac weighs about 400 lbs more. So, really, pound for pound, the Pac is running VERY close to the Pilot's mileage, so I honestly can't expect any better ... I'll just hope. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Been doing mostly highway driving. This last tank included a total of 454.5 miles and I fill-up took 18.59 gallons of 87 octane. That works out to 24.4 MPG. Tank was still almost 1/4 full. Looks like I could easily make 500 miles between fill-ups. The trips included about 32 miles of winding, hilly, two-lane driving, maybe 10 miles in-city driving with the rest being freeway mileage, driven at around 68 MPH, mostly on cruise control.

It is an 05 Touring. Been getting 21-22-23 MPG up to this point. Difference being that the previous tanks included some stop and go traffic, as well.

Needless to say I am quite happy with such MPG for such a big, comfy car. :D
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    That's AWD, right?
    and on 87 octane ... that's great! How many miles on your vehicle?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

No it is a FWD Touring. Vehicle has 21,000 miles. My very last tank fill, yesterday, was 23+ MPG with some more in-city driving.
    FWD vehicles mileage is a lot better than AWD vehicles mileage, during the WINTER.

During the summer they should be comparable, because the AWD rear transmission is not that cold.

Obviously the official tests are done on heated powertrains, that's why the official mileages you read on the car sticker (FWD vs. AWD) are so close.
  • fljoslinfljoslin Member Posts: 237
    Front wheel drive mileage should always be better than AWD mileage. There is so much less powertrain to be moved. I can see additional friction from the cold fluid making things worse. What is the fluid in the trans axel and rearend and can more fuel effecient synthetics be substituted? We have an 05 Pacifica Touring with about 9000 miles on it. This is something that I should look into.
    I personally believe that fulltime AWL is un-necessary and costs Canadian and American drivers far more than it is worth in maintenance and operating costs. Why don't these vehicles have part-time 4 wheel drive that you can engage it on the days (often very few) that you need a 4x4.
    That is probably true, it does seem to make the car a lot steadier when I drove both models over rough conditions and icy conditions. However the all wheel drive is heavier and it also, as you indicated have to move more drivetrain. :(
    Also, contrary to the common belief, FWD is a lot safer than AWD, because on snow or ice the AWD will accelerate faster without giving clues about the danger to the driver.

On multiple occasions our FWD Traction Control System clunk-clunk-clunk let my wife know about black ice conditions. So she adjusted her driving accordingly. An AWD will accelerate faster (without any noise), so the average driver could learn about the dangerous conditions when braking, when it could be too late.

If you want to play in the snow, there is a button to disable the FWD Traction Control System. ;)
    I just took a 800 mile round trip in my wife's 2005 Pacifica Touring and kept a close track of the mileage.
    1) Vehicle with me (230 lbs) and a full tank of gas weighs 5000 lbs verified at a waste transfer station weigh scale.
    2) Average weigh of vehicle over trip was probably about 5200 lbs.
    3) OEM Michelin tires at 35 psi, K&N filter, Mobil 1 5W30 oil, 10,000 miles on vehicle, Mobil 1 since 3000 miles.
    4) Trip was from Spokane to Seattle on I-90 and then up to Blaine on I-5. (And return) Spokane is at about 2250'. Blaine is at sea level.
    5) On trip out -all at speed limit (70 mph or 60 mph) except for about 40 miles of snow/ice at 40-50 mph.
    6) On trip back slightly above speed limit (2-3 mph). Similar snow/ice conditions.
    Results:
    Trip out 23.2 mpg, trip back 21.2 mpg, average 22.2 mpg.

I did this same trip in my 2006 Odyssey EX-L in Oct. and got 28.6 mpg out, 25.6 mpg in, and 27.1 mpg avg.

Note for this trip driven as stated both vehicles get very close to their EPA highway mileage ratings of 28 mpg for the Odyssey and 22 mpg for the Pacifica.
    Also, contrary to the common belief, FWD is a lot safer than AWD, because on snow or ice the AWD will accelerate faster without giving clues about the danger to the driver.

I just drove through Snoqualmi Pass on I-90 East of Seattle in the Cascade mountains in a 2005 Pacifica Touring about 2 hours after the road had been opened due to snow. FWD is great, but if you are in deep snow or slush, you may simply not have enough traction. I came around a corner going up a steep hill at about 45 mph and the lane just ended. Instantly was in about 9" of slush and snow with a semi trailer pretty close behind me. Had it not been for the traction of AWD and the fact that I gunned it immediately I would have been stuck. Later on the down hill section I came around another corner to find a stuck spun out car in my lane (FWD vehicle). I dropped it into second gear and didn't even have to touch the brakes to avoid it safely. Again, the AWD traction really helped.
    You are right. For a good driver, when driving in tough conditions (as those you describe), AWD is safer because you are less likely to get stuck when climbing steep hills and/or deep snow.

For many lower level drivers though (like my wife), who don't really "feel" the car, and who will never drive in deep snow over those mountains, FWD is safer because FWD will raise the red flag sooner. They won't be able to accelerate fast on slippery roads, they will hear the Traction Control clunk-clunk-clunk, and they will wake up and see the danger. So they will adjust their driving sooner. For them FWD is safer. For you AWD is safer.

I am not sure you should use engine compression braking on slippery roads with an automatic transmission (AWD or not). I always loved to do that with a manual transmission (that's why I have a manual Accord in my garage). With a manual transmission you can delicately connect the clutch, so avoid skidding. An automatic transmission will suddenly switch into the lower gear, so your front wheels could skid on ice/snow, so you could loose the steering. It's interesting to note that your AWD will send engine braking to the rear wheels ONLY when the front wheels will seriously skid, so when you already lost your steering ability. If no slippage is detected, the AWD will send braking torque to the front wheels only (like a FWD), even if you have AWD. My opinion is that engine compression braking, when using an automatic transmission, is a dangerous game on ice/snow. The best vehicle for that game is a manual AWD, or better a manual full-time 4WD (like a Jeep).

4WD means that the engine is permanently connected to the four wheels through three differentials. Many crossovers (like Pacifica) have AWD, not 4WD, which means that when there is no slippage the torque is sent to the front wheels only. That's valid both when accelerating and engine compression braking.

Sorry for the long post. I get excited when I hear about snow driving. That's why I hate Stability Control Systems. With those you can't play anymore.
  • heroshimaheroshima Member Posts: 9
    hey you never know sounds like a plan, after all, now they are doing it on airlines. THe biger the bum the more you pay. ;)