Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata vs. Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Ford Fusion

Comments

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    That reminds me of the article I read recently about Hyundai's design targets for the new Sonata: not Accord and Camry, but Audi and Lexus. And not just for styling, but NVH, ride, etc. (Hopefully they targeted Lexus for reliability and not Audi!) So that is another example of "If you aim high and work at it, you may get there."
  • Options
    smith20smith20 Member Posts: 256
    If the Toy/Hon people weren't concerned about the competition from Sonata they wouldn't bad mouth it. They would suggest that you test drive the Sonata and compare it to their car!

This is a great point. I definitely agree that they would encourage inferior test drives to bolster their own image.
  • Options
    black_tulipblack_tulip Member Posts: 435
    The 2006 Sonata received 5 star frontal and 5 star side impact ratings ...
    I am not talking about crumple zones. I was talking more about advanced safety features that you mentioned, like stability control, traction control etc. I am not sure that those will work when needed. But, that's just my perception.
  • Options
    zodiac2004zodiac2004 Member Posts: 458
    Terry is certainly an excellent source of information, but as far as statistics on how many of what sort of vehicle go to what type of auction, his posts are anecdotal. Yes, he makes a business of this sort of thing, but his information is still anecdotal

Terry's quotes may be anecdotal, but when it comes to ME buying a car with MY money, I'd still place more importance to Terry's words over any auto magazine reviews.
  • Options
    If the most important buying criterion for you is what price a car will bring at an auction, I can understand your point. For me, it's more important how the car drives, its comfort and versatility, its safety, its fuel economy, its styling (hey, I have to look at the darn thing for many years!), its reliability and warranty--things like that. The auto mags/sites provide some useful input on those kinds of criteria, but ultimately I need to decide based on how it drives and whether I want to live with the car for several years. Of the four cars in this discussion, right now the Sonata is at the top for me, but the Accord is a close second and I haven't driven the Fusion yet (although the styling is such a turn-off for me I might not get past it).
  • Options
    1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    My wife's family are Honda people through and through. Before we got married, her Honda Civic was on its last leg, and needed replacement (this was fall of 2001). Her father had seen the new (at the time) Elantra, and was impressed by the looks, features, and warranty of it. So, he decided to make my wife the family Hyundai guinea pig so to speak, and bought her a new 2002 Elantra GLS. Needless to say, having never owned a Hyundai before but having heard the horror stories, I cringed as he purchased it. Well, we (meaning I) are sticklers when it comes to maintenance, and the car currently has 67K miles on it.

**Problems to date (after 4 yrs and 67K miles) - Throttle Position Sensor acted up at 45K miles. This caused the car to hesitate for about 1 second the first time the gas pedal was pressed after the car had sat for 12+ hours. This was replaced under warranty. On the same visit to the dealer, they replaced the alternator, also under warranty (don't know if this was somehow tied into the failure of the Throttle Position Sensor or not). Also around this same time, the transmission began to "flare" in rpm between 2nd and 3rd gear - the computer was reprogrammed under warranty, and this was resolved. Lastly, we had a latch break on the center console storage area. This was replaced under warranty.

**General dislikes - The interior plastic scratches fairly easily, although hasn’t fallen apart. Sheet metal dents (gets dinged) easily. My wife parks in a parking deck at work which doesn't help. Also, this was the top of the line (at the time) Elantra (sunroof, upgraded stereo, etc), but it still had hubcaps. 15" wheels, but hubcaps - I hate hubcaps.

**General likes - Seats and carpet have held up really well - Although we vacuum weekly, and steam clean yearly. Paint is still really glossy. Gas mileage: just got 39mpg on an interstate trip last weekend with 67K on the clock. Car is still relatively “tight” and rattle free.

So, here's my summary. After the Elantra experience, would I ever buy a Hyundai in the future? If I were shopping for an Accord/Fusion/Camry type of car, I would add the Sonata to my list. I have found the Elantra to be no more problematic than any other make of car I have owned. However, I am a stickler when it comes to maintenance and I am sure that doesn't hurt – so in terms of reliability, I have no reason to eliminate them THUS FAR. Then there’s resale - If that were the deal breaker for me, I would go Honda or Yota, and stay away from Ford and Hyundai.

In our case, the Elantra is going to become a third car this spring – and will be driven until it meets its death. It has almost become a game to me to see just how many miles I can put on it. We are going to buy a gas guzzler this spring (we need something capable of towing a boat in the near future), and I figure the Elantra will be worth more to me as a third car than for what I could get for it as a trade in. My philosophy for car buying is to make a list of my wants/needs, and then buy the vehicle that best fits, and that is the best deal for the money, regardless of make. I have however totally excluded one manufacturer from consideration based solely on experiences I had at the service department of their local dealer.
  • Options
    It seems you and I have a similar approach to car buying and maintenance, and in our experiences with our Elantras (although I have two now) and our plans for them. I am going to drive them into the ground by handing them down to my kids. After five years with my first Elantra, I have no reason to think it won't hold up for another five or so.

The one Ford I bought--a '95 Mystique--was such a reliability disaster that I would hesitate to get another Ford like the Fusion, although I realize they have made improvements since then. But my experience would keep me from buying the first year of any Ford product.
  • Options
    chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    ic, but I would bet on stability control. I have it on my bmw and it's kicked in a few times and straightened me out. I'd much rather have it on my car then not.
  • Options
    Best large car was the manual version of the Hyundai Motor Co. Ltd. (005380.KS) Sonata with 24 mpg city and 34 mpg on the highway.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051013/bs_nm/autos_fuel_dc
  • Options
    pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    And how is the resale on Ford cars lately?

The Five Hundred's resale is excellent. I expect the Fusion to perform similarly.

They're not in the same league resale-wise as the Accord/Camry, but leagues better than anything made by Hyundai. Korean cars have the resale of week-old chinese takeout.
  • Options
    I'll gladly trade off some resale value in return for safety features not present on comparable models in the same price range. These features are most important to me .. if resale value is for you, then Honda or Toyota is the one for you.

The old saw "you get what you pay for" doesn't mean a lot to Hyundai fans, I see.
  • Options
    Some weeks ago I did some research on Edmunds comparing true cost to own (TCO). I compared an '05 Sonata with an '05 Accord. After 5 years the depreciation when measured by what the five year old car would be worth compared to the price when new was about the same. Of course projecting a car's value as a used car five years into the future is not exact. Projections are based on past experience. Who knows what the public perception of certain models will be five years from now? The market does change. Look at what a 2 year old Ford Explorer was worth 3 years ago. Look at what a two year old Explorer is worth today. Look at where Hyundai was only 5 years ago and look at where it is today. As people notice the improvements their opinions will change and that will change the market.

You make an excellent point; in five years, perhaps a Hyundai will retain its value much better than today. However, it has been 15 years since GM has churned out cars with vile reliability, and they still haven't recovered. I wouldn't expect Hyundai's fortunes to be much better.
  • Options
    The old saw "you get what you pay for" doesn't mean a lot to Hyundai fans, I see.

No, it doesn't--because it no longer applies to Hyundai in general and the Sonata in particular, in the (typically) negative sense of the phrase. I could just as easily say that with the Accord and Camry, you don't get all that you pay for.

As for Ford resale value, how can the Five Hundred have any track record for resale when it's a new model? Also, how can its resale value hold up when dealers are slashing prices on it, e.g. $18k for a nicely-equipped Five Hundred? That is not the way to keep up resale values. Honda does have the right approach there: no public rebates, and minimal fleet sales.
  • Options
    "The Five Hundred's resale is excellent. I expect the Fusion to perform similarly."

Must be a regional thing. In my area, THE ONLY Ford that is selling used for anywhere near what it did brand new are the few '05 Mustang GTs that have already made it to the pre-owned lots.

In terms of sedans in this class, the Hondas are the only ones that significantly hold their value.
  • Options
    As for Ford resale value, how can the Five Hundred have any track record for resale when it's a new model? Also, how can its resale value hold up when dealers are slashing prices on it, e.g. $18k for a nicely-equipped Five Hundred? That is not the way to keep up resale values. Honda does have the right approach there: no public rebates, and minimal fleet sales.

The Five Hundred is now one-model year old.

Apples to apples: The dirt cheapest you can get a new 2006 Five Hundred (base SE, no additional options) is around $21,000. Locally, dealers are advertising used '05 SEs for around $20k (mileage dependant of course). This is in western Michigan so YMMV, but that's not too shabby.

No, it doesn't--because it no longer applies to Hyundai in general and the Sonata in particular, in the (typically) negative sense of the phrase. I could just as easily say that with the Accord and Camry, you don't get all that you pay for.

Well, with Accord or Camry I will get a car that will last me as long as I want to keep it, and I will get fair resale when it's time to get rid of it. Buying a Hyundai is like playing the lotto in that regard, and I'm not much of a gambler.
  • Options
    It's not a gamble at all, it's very clear: if you plan on owning the car only for 1-3 years, and don't want to lease it, you are financially better off with an Accord or Camry. If you will hold onto the car for several years, the $ depreciation difference is minimal and is offset by the Sonata's lower up-front price anyway.
  • Options
    chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    I'm a car fan .. I've owned honda's, chevy's and now a bmw. I can appreciate a good value when I see one. The accords and camry's are getting a bit pricey with basic standard features. My mother-in-law just bought a base camry for 22K that comes without 4wheel disc brakes, side airbags and stability control. I'd rather save a few K and get all those features and put the $$$ I saved elsewhere. Toyota better keep on their toes or like Sony will be passed up by it's Korean competition (Samsung) ...
  • Options
    Toyota better keep on their toes or like Sony will be passed up by it's Korean competition (Samsung)

The parallel ends right there. It's one thing to buy a Samsung big-screen TV over a Sony because it's 10% cheaper, and quite another to buy a HyunKia over a HonYota because it's 10% cheaper.

Samsung had a much easier task competing with Sony because you don't put your kids into a Samsung and drive it across the country.

The reputation for reliability and longevity is worth a whole lot more for automobiles than for any other consumer products, and rightly so.
  • Options
    teasheateashea Member Posts: 18
    I have owned several Hondas, inlcuding 2 Accords. After shopping around an comparing several cars, I purchased a 2006 Sonata LX. I am amazed by this car. Certainly, from my analysis, it is far superior to the competion on a price-dependent basis. Moreover, I actually prefer it on a price-independent basis.

The issues that impressed me:

engine: as good as a Honda - which is as good as it gets. The Sonata V6 is very refined, with good power and torque across the rev band. It has that ripping smoothness at high rmp that only the finest engines produce. It is interesting to note that this engine produces more power and torque that the 3.0 liter engine in the new BMW 325i.

exterior styling: of course this is subjective, but.... I really like it. I think that Hyundai has developed a strong lookinig car, with nice design elements that integrate well. Certainly, there are styling elements from other cars, but that is not unusual. In fact, it is difficult to find any car that does not have design elements that are similar to others. I find that the Sonata's design is more independent than many other current cars.

interior styling: I think that the interior works well and looks good. The material choices and the layout of the dash, door panels, seats and console are quite nice. I particularly like the faux carbon fiber treatment that comes with the gray interior. (I am not a fan of glossy wood on car interiors).

suspension: competent but a little soft for my tastes. The car has a complian suspension that seems better in the LX than on the other models. Part of this is the tires.

quality: the Sonata has the highest quality of any car I have owned. One example is the exterior panel gaps. These are as straight as my two Mercedes and the gap is smaller. (also better than a Camry, Accord or Infinity). The fit and finish of the interior trim is also excellent.

overall: an impressive car that puts Hyundai into the top leagues of auto manufactureres. I think that this is a breakthrough car.

TEAShea
  • Options
    teasheateashea Member Posts: 18
    One key issue to me is that the new Sonata is a breakthrough car. Certainly prior Hyundai auto did not measure up to the best cars, but the 2006 Sonata does. It is a breakthrough.

TEAShea
  • Options
    Personally I think Hyundai's first "break through" vehicles were the Santa Fe and Elantra, both of which have been recognized as being competitive in their classes, great values, and reliable also--and reliability was Hyundai's big downfall in the past. But I think the Sonata is the car that has shown Hyundai can take on the best in class without price being an object, and for that it's another major break through.
  • Options
    mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    Well, with Accord or Camry I will get a car that will last me as long as I want to keep it, and I will get fair resale when it's time to get rid of it. Buying a Hyundai is like playing the lotto in that regard, and I'm not much of a gambler.

Using resale values to disparage the competition is an old, old trick ToyHon fans just love to play. Let me remind you. They used to say stay away from Altima because its resale is worth nothing. They can't say that anymore because its resale is now above Camry and Accord.

When Infiniti M debuted earlier this year, Lexus fans were disparaging its future resale compared to GS. Well, now Kelly blue book put M resale as class leading, certainly above GS. So much for going by history!

It's just Toyota and Honda fans trying to disparage a new competitor, they have no way to know how Sonata resale will hold up. If it's well built and accepted by the market, there's no reason why its resale should tank compared to the leaders!
  • Options
    smith20smith20 Member Posts: 256
    But I think the Sonata is the car that has shown Hyundai can take on the best in class without price being an object, and for that it's another major break through.

I like to think of Hyundai as having different tiers of "breakthroughs" as well. I guess I think of it more as "steps" with each new generation of their car designs. The quality and the competitiveness of the Sonata has solid underpinnings based on the experience the company has gained with the success of previous models such as the Santa Fe and Elantra you mention.
  • Options
    sliggsligg Member Posts: 109
    When will the new version of the Camry and Accord come out?
  • Options
    alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    I agree. It is all about supply and demand. The Camrys don't hold their value as well as they used to, not because of lack of demand, but because there is an ample supply of used Camrys around due to the sheer volume on the road.
    If the Sonata turns out to be a solid and reliable car, the demand for used Sonatas will be there. There won't be the huge volume of them on the road like Camrys, so supply will be relatively limited and therefore the resale values will increase.
    The big "IF" is - did Hyundai get the built-in quality right, down to the DNA? That is the million dollar question. My gut feel is yes. The new Sonata is a landmark vehicle. The first year bugs will be rooted out and these new generation of Hyundais are about to repaint the automotive landscape just as the Japanese did 25 years ago...
    Toyota: Be Afraid!
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    I'd wager 90% of car buyers' initial reaction to Hyundai is lukewarm at best. So how does that convince them that buying a Hyundai is a feelgood experience? AccordCamry exudes it. Good luck changing the general carbuying public's gut feelings. It doesn't happen with one good model - which the 06 Sonata may be.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The new Camry is generally confirmed for release in March 2006. The New Accord will be a year to a year and a half after that.

~alpha
  • Options
    They used to say stay away from Altima because its resale is worth nothing. They can't say that anymore because its resale is now above Camry and Accord

That is patently false. Altima's resale is much better than before, but stilll not in ToyHon's league. And Nissan didn't have anything like the Hyundai's Excel to live down.
    Books may show different numbers. Ask car dealers or look at auction numbers to get real answers.

When Infiniti M debuted earlier this year, Lexus fans were disparaging its future resale compared to GS. Well, now Kelly blue book put M resale as class leading, certainly above GS. So much for going by history

This is also false. The GS will certainly trump the M when it comes to retaining value. KBB does not cut checks for used cars.

It's just Toyota and Honda fans trying to disparage a new competitor, they have no way to know how Sonata resale will hold up. If it's well built and accepted by the market, there's no reason why its resale should tank compared to the leaders

And yet somehow you do !!!!
    It will take several years of building good cars consistently, and then resale values will follow suit. We need 70-100K cars with about 70-100K miles on them to see how well they hold up in the real world.
  • Options
    chrisbgoodchrisbgood Member Posts: 77
    It all depends on how you count it -- the moment you drove it off the lot the new SE would be worth about 4k less than brand new which is about 20%. Not bad then. Of course, if you say "Ford" next to it and look at it objectively the sale price on the used one is probably about 17k (retail) which implies the dealer buy price is about 14k for a -to you deprection- of about 7k which is about 30+% -- not bad at all for a Ford.
  • Options
    According to the December 2004 issue of Kiplingers Personal Finance Magazine, the Altima retains a greater percentage of its original value after 3 and 5 years, as determined by industry benchmarking 'Automotive Leasing Guide'.

I cannot provide a link, because it is a subscriber site, but if you have access to that issue, you will see exactly what I am talking about. Or just wait a month or so until this year's issue comes out.

~alpha
  • Options
    As far as "feeling good", I got a really good feeling driving the Sonata. The Accord is a very nice car too, but I didn't feel as good driving it--it might have been the tomb-like black interior, or the bumpy ride. But it's a great handler for the class and has a sweet stick shift. The Camry was zzzzzzzzzzzzz oh, sorry; what was the question?
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I'd wager 90% of car buyers' initial reaction to Hyundai is lukewarm at best.

That's why there is advertising, car reviews and forums such as this one. Get those people, or some them, to take a look at a car (not just the Sonata, but any car) and let the car sell itself.

A year ago I wouldn't have considered a Hyundai. When I began looking at cars last February someone suggested I look at the '05 Sonata. Six months ago I bought an '05 Sonata GLS Special Value for $16,700 + TTL. The car has been fantastic. I could have bought another car for thousands more and gotten less quality and features.
  • Options
    Im interested to try an Accord with VSA. When I drove the 05 at Hyundai's event that compared the Sonata to the Camry XLE V6 and Accord EX V6 in June, the Accord felt the least comfortable to negotiate when I REALLY pushed what I could do, (knocking a few cones down), owing to the fact that it lacked the Sonata and Camry's stability control. Tire grip was awful as well, maybe the 17s will change that. The Sonata (LX, loaded) was easily my pick of those 3 models, and the Camry surprised me- the numbish steering you would expect but surprising path accuracy and it "bit" better than the Accord. Definitely NOT sporty, but very easy.

~alpha
  • Options
    ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    I just feel good when I drive the Accord, I love the interior and love the sport(ier) feel. The Sonata, suprised me with its great handling. The Camry on the other hand puts me to sleep with its numb steering and soft suspension.

alpha: I did notice the Accord's tires do not grip very well, I am thinking of changing them next year. It happened to me more then twice- My wheels spinning at a green light.
  • Options
    mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    zodiac,

Everything I said about the resale of Alty and M is correct, as alpha1 attested to regarding Alty. The last time I read the data, Alty/Accord/Camry retain 54/52/50% after 5 years.

autospies wrote in its website that M and 5 series are the best at retaining resale value among luxury sedans. Others at the Performance Luxury Sedans forum have since confirmed that. You can scroll back a few pages on that forum and see the discussion. Kelly has to establish resale values for all new cars for leasing purposes. That doesn't mean they're right 100% of the time, but they must have good reason to put M and 5 ahead of the pack.

As I said, if Sonata is in demand, meaning its sales curve is on the upswing, it should retain its value just fine. Domestic cars are another matter. Their supplies tend to outstrip the demands, so probably Fusion resale most likely will suffer.
  • Options
    xquxqu Member Posts: 55
    take a look at edmunds' own number:
    I picked three closest price match trims from each model. Since the data for 06 Accord isn't available yet, I use the 05 data instead, and let's compare the "True Cost to Own" for 5 years...

06 Sonata GLS 3.3L Auto
    Total Cash Price $21,179
    Average cost per Mile: $0.49
    TCO Price $36,419

05 Accord 2.4L EX Auto
    Total Cash Price $21,974
    Average cost per Mile: $0.42
    TCO Price $31,300

06 camry 2.4L LE Auto
    Total Cash Price $21,611
    Average cost per Mile: $0.42
    TCO Price $31,764

Looks like if you get the Sonata (the cheapest car among them) for now and will end up paying the most after 5 years. $5000 difference between Sonata and Accord is not a small number considering the car only cost just over $20K.
  • Options
    You picked the closest matched trims? Then why does the Sonata have a V6 while the other two have a 4-cylinder? How about a Sonata GL automatic, which I know I can buy right now for about $16,500, and $1000 less if I add the Hyundai loyalty rebate? That changes the TMV calculations a bit, doesn't it? Also, do all the cars you listed have the same safety equipment, including SABs/SACs and VSC (both are not standard on the Camry, VSC is not available on the Accord 4-cylinder). A more fair comparison would be the Sonata LX vs. the Accord EX V6 vs. the Camry XLE V6 w/leather.
  • Options
    I picked the trim based on the "Total Cash Price", not features, okay? They are listed on the TCO page, look it up yourself. It comes down to the price eventually. Otherwise, why don't you compare features with Ferraris, three options on those cars cost you a Sonata!!!

You can huggle prices on Honda and Toyota too, but yes, maybe you can get a Hyundai for a little cheaper, depending on the shopper.

Now for all V6 model comparison:

06 Sonata LX V6 Auto
    Total Cash Price $23,079
    Average cost per Mile: $0.51
    TCO Price $38,014

05 Accord V6 EX Auto
    Total Cash Price $25,238
    Average cost per Mile: $0.47
    TCO Price $35,033

06 camry V6 XLE Auto
    Total Cash Price $25,597
    Average cost per Mile: $0.49
    TCO Price $36,518

Looks like the Sonata is still the most expensive to own which happens to be the cheapest car to buy.
  • Options
    Again, I think it's more fair to compare like to like. Let's use the '06 Accord EX V6 for example, since the other two cars are '06s. Edmund's TMV price before taxes/fees on that is about $3300 more than for a '05. That's .04+/mile right there. Also, Edmunds doesn't take into account all the rebates available, such as the $1000 HMFC rebate. That's another .01+ off the Sonata--.02 off if you can take advantage of the loyalty rebate. So what we have here is a virtual tie across all three cars for 5-year TCO, according to Edmunds.com--pick the one you like driving the most.
  • Options
    Edmunds TCO understandably contains certain assumptions which can vary in each person's situation (just like EPA milage estimates).

Insurance can be a huge variable depending on where the car is domiciled, age and driving record of drivers, vehicle usage (how many miles to work), total annual miles driven, limits of liability, deductibles, etc. And of course, from one insurance company to another for the selected coverages.

The finance charge obviously is based on X dollars financed at Y %. (X & Y are not explained). If a buyer has $10,000 for a down payment he will be financing $4K less on a car that costs $4K less. If the buyer has $2K for a downpayment he will be financing $8K more than if he had the $10K downpayment.

In some states (unfortunately mine included) municipalities charge property tax on cars. My town's tax rate is $37 per thousand. So, if I have a car assessed at $5K higher, I will pay an extra $185 in property tax in the first year (over .01/mile). Something less each year as the car depreciates (although the tax rate usually increases). Edmunds probably left out this part of the TCO because some states do not charge property tax on cars, AND as in my state, the tax rate varies from town to town. It would be a nightmare for Edmunds to try to keep track of all the various property tax rates,. However, it is an additional cost (for some) that needs to be considered.

Gasoline costs (MPG & cost per gallon) also had to be considered for comparison purposes. Heck, I have no idea what the price per gallon will be for my next fill up, never mind for the next 60 months. If gas cost $3 per gallon, the fuel cost differential between 2 cars will be twice as much as it would be if gas was $1.50 per gallon.

I think the most meaningful figures in the TCO are the estimated depreciation, maintenance and repairs.. Subtract the depreciation from Edmunds TMV to determine the capital cost of cars. To me, this is more meaningful than "resale value." If Brand A sells for $20K and depreciates $12K, it's resale is $8K. If Brand B sells for $25K and depreciates $11K it's resale is $14K. Brand B is worth $6K more after the 5 years, but the buyer paid (& financed $5K more). Figure the finance charges, time value of money and property tax, if applicable, and that $1,000 "gain" could actually cost the buyer money.

Sorry if this is getting too technical. I know some people won't understand (not accusing anyone).
  • Options
    midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    backy said:

"You picked the closest matched trims? Then why does the Sonata have a V6 while the other two have a 4-cylinder? "

They are the same price that is the exact same comparison that Edmunds made in their comparison when the Sonata came out on top.

You can't have it both ways! You either compare on cost which the Sonata wins or you compare both cars in their loaded V6 form in which the Accord wins?

If you look at any magazine or auto comparison on the Sonata V6 (3.3 ,235 hp) versus the Accords V6 (3.0, 244hp ) you will see that the Sonata V6 engine, which improved, is not at the level of the Honda engine for both performance or mileage! The key factor in true real world mileage appears to be inversely proportional to the engine displacement size

YMMV,

MidCow

P.S.- Did you realize how much the VSC, heated mirrors and LED tailights cost WOW! $1,000
  • Options
    I'm not trying to have it both ways. I didn't set up the comparison. The person who did said that the cars were picked to have the "closest matched trims"--NOT the closest prices. IMO, comparing the V6 Sonata to an I4 Camry LE to an I4 Accord EX is in no way comparing the "closest matched trims."

If you want to pick trim levels so that the Accord is guaranteed to win the comparison, go ahead--take the lowest-trim Accord, shoot, make it a '05 vs. a '06 even, as this person did, so take a '05 Accord DX stick shift, and compare it to a '06 Sonata LX and a Camry XLE V6. The Accord will win that one hands-down.

As far as how much VSC costs, it doesn't cost anything extra--if you buy the Sonata.
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836

Note the dual exhaust. That probably means horsepower will be more than 240. This is the car the Sonata will be competing against. Looks much better than the current Camry IMO.
  • Options
    Is Mazda going to sue? The front end looks like a Mazda 3.
  • Options
    Everything comes down to the price!!! If you want to compare trim, like I said before, and I'll say it again, why don't you compare the Sonata with Ferraris? Three, four options on those car cost you $20K. How's that sound? Fair comparison?

Again, Honda and Toyota are reputable brands, Hyundai was at the bottom and trying to catch up. so a price advantage is expected when comparing to Honda and Toyota. Even comparing all V6 model, Sonata still cost $3000 more to own than the Accord.
  • Options
    I agree there are so many variables in this TCO comparison. Finance or Not, for how much, insurance is vary, OTD price on the car, and etc...

But it could go both ways. I believe edmunds used the middle number that would be a good benchmark for average shoppers. It's not perfect but you can get a basic idea how much more/less you will pay out of pocket after 5 years of owning each car, maybe more of less depending on your own situation.
  • Options
    That Camry has the worst paint job I've ever seen! I know it's a prototype, but look at the ripples!! And the paint peels off by hand! Toyota should be ashamed! ;)

In addition to the grille lifted off the Mazda3s, the tailights bear a resemblence to those on the Sonata. Actually, the rear end looks like a hybrid of the '02-'05 Sonata and the '06 Sonata. Double damages in the lawsuit!! :)
  • Options
    I was trying to reduce the affect of the variables (they can't be entirely eliminated). The major "cost to own" difference among cars in the same class is depreciation. And I'm assuming depreciation is based on MSRP, not the actual selling price.

Two people can buy identical cars from the same dealership on the same day. Yet one buyer might pay $1,000 more than the other. Some period of time later both those cars should be worth the same as used cars, given similar milage and vehicle condition. Assuming depreciation is based on price new minus resale value, the price new has to be constant.
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Considering the Toyota has been copying the design of the Taurus for the past 15 years, save for the Tarus' catfish years, it's no surprise they're ripping someone else off now that the old bull is gone. Toyota just has no imagination and they never will.
  • Options
    Using resale values to disparage the competition is an old, old trick ToyHon fans just love to play. Let me remind you. They used to say stay away from Altima because its resale is worth nothing. They can't say that anymore because its resale is now above Camry and Accord.

You're correct; pre-'02 Altimas DID have horrific resale, but the newer ones are doing fine. The key difference between Nissan and Hyundai, though, is that Nissan has been building high-quality cars for decades. Hyundai cars still have no track record for quality.
This discussion has been closed.