Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Escape Hybrid MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• Options
    dehartdehart Member Posts: 4
    My 2007 4wd Hybrid Escape is a little less than two months old. Where I can drive on battery I do. On a 30 minute trip from my house to a building in Pittsburgh I was able to get 44 mpg according to the dash board readout. Two weeks ago I drove from Pittsburgh to DC and back with a little city driving. The average for the trip was 30.2 mpg. I just completed a trip Pittsburgh -> Blacksburg VA -> Wilmington NC -> DC -> Baltimore -> Pittsburgh. It was a lot of miles over a few days. I had the air-conditioning on for the entire trip. The average was 29.4 for most of the trip. The hills of West Virginia were not kind to the gas usage. The final report was almost 30. If I had not needed the air on, the average usage would have been higher.

I have not had brake problems reported on this mailing list. With close to 4000 miles in under two months, I am happy with the vehicle.
  • Options
    cchurchcchurch Member Posts: 2
    We too are only getting about 27 mpg in town. It should be around 33(4wd). I also drove on the highway about 2 1/2 hours and the mileage was only 25. It seems very hard to push on the gas easy enough to keep it on the battery. Is there something we are not doing?
  • Options
    mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    I have a 2006 FEH 4WD. From the posts and the forums I have read it seems that:

You won't ever get the EPA sticker numbers over the long term.
    You can get varying numbers over repeated trips on the same roads based on changing:
    Driving Habits - Accelerating, Braking, Cruising Speed,etc.
    Weather - Extreme temps, use of A/C
    Traffic - congestion, speeding

Consider the following tricks to improve mpg:
    No jack-rabbit starts. You don't have to strain your leg to keep the truck in EV mode...as long as you limit the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) under or close to 2000 rpm as much as possible.
    Switch between L and D on the stick shift when it is advantageous - this will take some practice to discern when it is helpful to use the two different computer algorithms (there is no high or low gear range in an ECVT) You can feel the regenerative brake motor/generator drag the vehicle in L range but L will also let you engage EV mode up to 40 mph or so.
    In D mode, start braking as early as possible to engage the regen brakes. Think of the brake pedal as a switch that turns on the regen brake as soon as you put the lightest touch on the pedal and then increase pressure only as needed to be safe.
    Some folks report inflating their tires to 45psi or greater (sounds too harsh to me).
    Lots of other ideas in some of these hybrid forums.

Remember to reset your mpg calculator frequently to monitor what types of roads and driving give you the best average. I have seen fluctuations of 5-6 mpg over the same roads. It may take a few weeks to learn what works best. I have had mine for only 6 months and I am saving a minimum of 10 mpg over my old 4-cylinder Isuzu Trooper.
    Enjoy.
  • Options
    ekiehnekiehn Member Posts: 33
    I have a 2006 2WD that seems to average around 30 to 32 MPG in city driving. As hard as I try unless it is a moist misty day, I find it almost imposible to go from a stop without the gas engine kicking in (unless I take about 3 to 5 minutes to creep up to the 30 MPH cut in). Any ideas or suggested forums where I can get some input on how to fix this. When I test drove the 2005 models at the Ford Road Show I don't remember it being so hard not to have the Gas Engine kick in. Other than that, love the vehicle and I guess I shouldn't be complaining on the milage, but I know it could do better.
  • Options
    escapehevescapehev Member Posts: 2
    Really great that you're doing that well in a 4WD!

I have a 2006 FWD Escape HEV with 7349 on the odometer... I consistently get better than 33 mpg, and just got back from the long weekend trip from Detroit to West Virginia... had the air conditioner on during the trip down and got stuck in one traffic jam that was bad enough that I ran out of battery power and the engine came back on... didn't go to any extremes like turning the engine off, still got over 32 on that part of the trip. My last 3-tank average of gas station receipts is 33.9 mpg, and I was frequently reading over 35 mpg on the 15 minute running average on the GPS console. I wasn't going that slow, either, I was doing the speed limit, which ranged from 55-70 mph, mostly using cruise control.

I just read a good article on hybridcars.com about maximizing mileage which has some advanced techniques I'm looking forward to trying... google for "An SUV that gets 45 mpg" to find it.
  • Options
    cchurchcchurch Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem about it being very hard to push on the pedal without it starting the engine. I wonder if there is something that Ford can adjust to get it to kick in later. There should be no reason you can't drive 30 to 35 around the neighborhood on the battery.
  • Options
    softpedalsoftpedal Member Posts: 12
    Good driving tips, mecheng1, road conditions and traffic can affect mpg on both long trips, as well as driving around town. Once, when going about 60 mph along the edge road of Salton Sea, there were very strong headwinds all the way. My 4WD FEH 2006 only got 19 mpg! But when crossed over the mountain on more steady drive, went back up to about 30 mpg, avg speed about 65 mph. In town, keeping up with normal driving conditions, I find my mpg drops off to about 27, or less if really gunning it (OC driving is like that), but if driving out in wilderness where no competition, even on bad roads, it creeps back up to about 29, even with the air on. I agree that it is important to reset the MPG periodically, coasting and braking helps EV mode stay on more. I'll have my hybrid a year this month, and am very pleased with it, even on rough desert terrain, like abandoned old stage coach trails. It's fun!

I do have a couple of complaints: 1) I never know when I'm in 2 or 4 wheel mode, nothing on dash tells me (though I can feel the difference by the 'seat of my pants'); 2) my wife complains the passenger side mirror has no light in it! (she uses it more than me the driver) another Ford 'better idea'? :P
  • Options
    escapehevescapehev Member Posts: 2
    I suspect they wanted it to behave as much like a normal car as possible, so starting up the gas engine to be ready for acceleration takes precedence over getting better mileage. I have noticed that when it has more juice in the battery, very little gas in the tank, or I've been driving really carefully for a good long time, it seems to get less sensitive, so I suspect the engine controller is learning from your driving patterns. I was reading the guide I mentioned and using low gear to brake and "hybrid tap" techniques on the way in to work this morning, and managed to break 37 mpg for my first time ever, saw 37.2 on the 15-min average when I parked.
  • Options
    I tried the Hybrid tap and have been trying the low gear ting. The very best I now have been able to get is 35.3 but that was only a fleeting thing. My 15 min. drive t work on flat ground usually costs me mpg but the above technics at leasst have allowed me to stabilize at around 34.1.
  • Options
    warlok2warlok2 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2006 hybrid, purchased on January 3rd, of 2006. It took till mid summer (about 6 months) to really see an improvement from my 27mpg ave. Then I learned a couple of things. If you keep the tach just around 2000 for all of your driving, you will see about 34-35 mpg ave. If you go down to between 1500-1800 rpm, you will see the epa 36mpg, even with the i.c.e. running.

As for the starts, and keeping it from going into i.c.e., once you get going, release the pedal for a quick moment and then put the pressure on again. The tach will 'reset' so to speak. For some reason, the continuously variable transmission works by giving more power than is needed. Once you get to the speed that you want to drive at, do the quick release of the pedal, and you will see the rpms drop but your speed will remain up there. I can get 70mpg on the interstate and still be around the 2000 rpm! :shades:
  • Options
    Anyone that is using "hybrid driving tricks" to get mid-30s mpg in their FEH (for a regular commute) is probably close to the limits of its capability...and is way ahead of a V6 Escape or similar vehicle.

As for "premature" ICE cut-in, the 90 electric motor probably just isn't enough to propel the FEH from many dead stops (incline, etc.) From my experience, the computer is primed to cut-in the ICE at even the slightest suggestion that significant power will be needed.

I am sure Ford engineers had to program the FEH software for the 80% of the market that doesn't want to think about how the truck operates. Perhaps in the future there may be more than two algorithms to choose from (D and L), maybe a "Sport" and "Economy". But you'd hate to be Econ mode when you are at a stop sign and need immediate engine response to dart across an intersection ahead of oncoming cars, etc. I'm hoping that enough hybrids will be sold to support a healthy aftermarket in devices for these early models. (Like the plug-in kits that are already being developed for the Prius)

happy trails :shades:
  • Options
    RE "As for the starts, and keeping it from going into i.c.e., once you get going, release the pedal for a quick moment and then put the pressure on again. The tach will 'reset' so to speak. For some reason, the continuously variable transmission works by giving more power than is needed. Once you get to the speed that you want to drive at, do the quick release of the pedal, and you will see the rpms drop but your speed will remain up there. I can get 70mpg on the interstate and still be around the 2000 rpm."

I've been trying this out, and sure'nough if I keep the tac low my mpg goes up. So far been milking it to keep tac between 1100-2000, and noticed added a couple of miles on the readout. Great if you're not racing with traffic, but the 'quick release' after go does seem to reset the transmission into higher mpg. Feels good. :shades:
  • Options
    I'm up to a pretty consistent 34.4 to 35MPG now. I think the biggest help was keeping the RPM's under 2000. Putting it in low does make a difference as well when there are a lot of stop and go situation. Right now I have to run the air all the time as South Fl still is in the high 80's during the day (when I do much of my driving.

I briefly flirted with the magical EPA rating of 36MPG on a cooler misty day with slower traffic and the air off, but i don't think I'll every see that on a regular basis.

Consistency is the key, if I can always stay in that 34 to 35MPG range I save a lot of $$$, even as gas prices go down.

I also hope that some after market hacks come out. May not apply them now, but in a year or two it might be fun to try to squeak out some better MPG and/or performance. :)
  • Options
    bowmanbdbowmanbd Member Posts: 1
    Are you driving a FWD or 4WD

Thanks
  • Options
    warlok2warlok2 Member Posts: 9
    Mine is a 2006 FWD.

Now that is is getting a little colder, expect a couple of mpg drop by the dead of winter.
  • Options
    I'm driving a FWD...
  • Options
    timcobtimcob Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 FWD that I bought at the start of august and now have about 2700 miles on it. I use it to drive on my 25 mile commute, 18 miles of which is on the freeway. I always drive the posted speed limit of 55/65. You do have to baby the throttle to keep it in EV and the L 'gear' does help when the battery charge is low and speeds are under about 35mph. When I work it out manually at the pump Im getting just over 35 mpg though the car is breaking in and I notice the mpg starting to improve. The mpg on the display is now 35-38 though I think it is a little high. I dont do many short trips and I dont run the AC much so that helps. But it is way better than my 2500 suburban which got 9-14 driving it in the same manner.

There are a bunch of stuff that other folks do to improve the milage even more such as over inflating the tires or driving slower that the speed limit, but for me safety comes first.
  • Options
    dehartdehart Member Posts: 4
    I am happy to see others getting great gas mileage. While I joined this list many months ago, a couple of 2006 owners were reporting only getting in the mid 20's miles per gallon. I have a 2007 AWD and have always been in the 30+ range. I have about 5000 miles on it now. In the past two months, the worst results was 33MPG and the best was 35MPG. This is based on miles driven and gallons purchased. I am finding I am able to go a little longer on battery than when it was new. I really wish the battery was larger. I am able to go faster than 25 MPH on battery if the road is level or has a slight downgrade. I have had it over 35 several times. Of course down hill driving is fun but I find the engine will kick on for no reason. This is a pain. I wish there was a switch to disable the gas engine. Does anyone know a trick to keep the engine from coming on?
  • Options
    uvroweruvrower Member Posts: 10
    Thanks to everyone for the tips. I have been following them all and with only 500 miles on it, am getting 29 - 33 with some very short trips in cool fall weather.

Especially find letting up on the accelerator as though I was driving a manual really effective in lowering consumption. I also do the same in all electric mode to prevent the engine from coming on. Of course I am not going very fast an usually near a small downhill, but have gotten over a mile on electric only.
  • Options
    fbu334fbu334 Member Posts: 1
    I have had an06 feh for about a year in MN. I see a marked drop in mpg as the temps drop. This is true for city and long trip driving. About 1 mpg for each 10F drop in temp. Any comments?
  • Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    If you are not garaging your FEH, you will definitely get worse fuel econ when its cold out. The vehicle needs to heat the battery up to optimum temp.

They should definitely come out with some accessory that lets you plug in the battery heater for a period of time before you drive.

As it gets colder, keep an eye on your COLD tire pressures, every 10 degree drop in temp, lowers your tire pressure 1 lbsqin.

Mark.
  • Options
    dfincherdfincher Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have a trailer hitch they would recommend? I am using it only for bike carrier and want to install myself. Ford does not seem to offer one (or recommend) for the FEH.

Thanks
    dfincher
  • Options
    I recommend the Hidden Hitch #70758. I installed it myself. It is a class III hitch - which is recommended if you use a rack that carries more than two bikes. :)

[FEH requires a hitch design that makes room for the HVBattery A/C refrigerant lines - not present on the regular Escapes.]
  • Options
    Thanks alot for the info. I looked into it and it looks perfect.
    Along the same line I was disappointed to find out that the Ford Escape OME side steps and mud flaps are not recommended for the Hybrid, And Im really not sure why. (Should not have made that assumption and been a liitle more dillegent in my research). Is there a work around or after market option you are aware of?

Thanks again for the help,
    dfincher
  • Options
    Lots of folks have installed the OEM and aftermarket step bars on the hybrids. The OEM installation shares a fastener with hangers that hold the high voltage line that runs down one side of the FEH/MMH. It seems like Ford is trying to avoid liability with their official response - "not available". Check out this thread:
    http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/showthread.php?t=11060&highlight=step+bars

I installed all four molded plastic mud flaps purchased from my dealer and designed for the Escape. They look fine and are relatively easy to install. [Remove wheel, remove screws, drill hole, install, replace wheel.] :D
  • Options
    smitty150smitty150 Member Posts: 5
    :confuse: We love the FEH 4WD. My wife wants to steal it from me. It rides and handles better than our Sienna Van.

My only concern is a drop in MPG from the low 30s to around 29-30 MPG. :confuse:

However, maybe I should add a few things.

1. My longest drive is 24 miles RT, takes about 40 minutes (20 each way), and is mostly 35-45 MPH with about 6 stops at lights.

2. I also do a lot of short hauls (errands) in the 3-5 mile range between stops which can number up to 4 or so.

3. Its gotten colder in the last month and this corresponds to the mileage drop. Is there a correlation?

4. I do "baby" the accelerator and can often get it on battery for a few blocks at least.

Ideas and reactions greatly appreciated!

Smitty from Southern Oregon
  • Options
    Seasonal changes are reported as common in many climates. (FL and AZ report seasonal improvements as A/C is not used as much).

Your commute sounds relatively good for the FEH design. Colder weather can cause:
    More ICE run time to keep the HO2 (exhaust) sensor warm.
    More ICE run time when in defrost mode.
    HVBattery does not accept regen brake charging as efficiently at the lower temps.
    Regenerative braking is turned-off at extremely low temps and if any wheel slip is sensed.

All of which could explain a drop in FE of 1-2 mpg. Are you using "L" as much or more as you are using "D"? Knowing when to switch between the two on your particular commute could help. :D
  • Options
    wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    Thanks for your post on this matter.

I have just purchased Mariner Hybrid. The dealer slappped the tire black stuff on just before delivery, and sure enough, relative to my initial observation, the compound slung off and on to the fenders. That means protection is needed there.

Being a firm beliver in mud flaps, I was hoping someone would offer decent flaps for the Escape or Mariner.

How do your flaps look and function?
    a. good
    b. better
    c. super
    d. none of above

Did you have any clading issues on vehicle while installing?

I wonder what mpg penalty may be incurred by extra air resistance...
    a. none
    b. little
    c. NA
  • Options
    You should get most of your answers by reading this thread on this other forum:
    http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/showthread.php?t=9262&page=2&highlight=marine- r+mud+flaps

Especially post#3, post #4 is mine.

OEM molded flaps from Ford do say "Ford" on them...not too cool on the MMH.

The molded flaps look great because they look like they belong. They are not 100% effective - but then none of the ones I have had on any vehicle are. Some stuff still gets by - but not like the recently applied wheel black does when no flaps are in place.

Because of how turbulent the airflow is behind the tires...I doubt the flaps affect the aerodynamics very much. :D
  • Options
    Thanks for the information mecheng1.

I purchased some husky mud flaps for Mariner Hybrid but the front ones did not fit...must return. I ordered Escape/Tribute types.

Put Escape door sill guards all the way around and am very satisfied with their appearance.

The vent shades called WeatherFlector Window Guards by WeatherTech have been installed. They go inside the channel rather than get glued to door painted surface. They look dynamite good.

As for fuel mileage. Our MMH was getting fairly poor mileage at first. I guess it was because it had sat on dealers lot (lost on their inventory record) for at least 3 months. So battery needed charging. I've had to reprogram my driving habits. Learn the quirks of hybrid piloting, breaking, CVT attributes, and other details.

At around 800 miles on odometer...

I'm recording 30.5 MPG average !

Not too cotton picken bad for a 4WD SUV :shades:

I read that this will improve over the next few thousand miles :)

Thanks again.
  • Options
    69driver69driver Member Posts: 4
    I usually let my tank get pretty empty before I fill up. But I've been noticing the fill up is only around 13 gallons, not 15.

So, I decided to let the tank run dry. I put some gas in a can, and hit the road.

After the gauge read 0 miles to empty it kept running for quite awhile.

I chose a road for my test with plenty of shoulder space, and not a lot of traffic.

When it finally died, I got a “Safely pull over now” message. I was still able to drive on battery once my speed was low enough.

The final number was 477 miles, at 31.9 mpg.

So, the mpg estimate displayed was correct 31.9 x 15 = 478 miles. The miles to empty are always off.
  • Options
    Your FE should improve....but from what I've seen ...it improves more from the operator "re-learning" how to drive to get the most out of the hybrid technology than from any break-in period of the vehicle. Your ultimate FE is only limited by how much you want to employ the "hypermile-ing" tricks. Have fun! :shades:
  • Options
    Good for you 69driver.

The same thought about testing had crossed my mind. I have a 5 gallon gas can...but...ain't got no time to burn.

Thanks for results.
  • Options
    twooakstwooaks Member Posts: 1
    Brand new '07 4WD ... 22mpg with my first tankful (didn't measure the tankful from the dealer but it went quick also) ... I'm p*ssed off! Should I be? The PRIMARY reason I bought this was to lessen my carbon footprint ... trying to do my part with global warming. And to spend less on fuel of course ... factored that in when I bought it but if this is going to be the norm for mpg, it destroys my financial reason for buying. It's rated @ 29hwy/32city. I don't nail the gas pedal, haven't even floored it yet. I live in Indiana so it's colder weather right now ... mixture of hwy & city driving.
    Any thoughts, ideas, opinions?
    :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Even hybrids need to go through a break-in period. You're jumping a bit ahead of yourself by looking at the first tank of gas and thinking that's all there is. Give the car a chance to break in and yourself a chance to get used to driving it.
  • Options
    First, read the fold out quick reference guide where it tells you how to maximize your fuel economy. You have to learn how to drive all over again. You can read back in this and other hybrid forums for tips on how to get the most fuel economy.

Second, if you can garage your FEH during cold weather, this will help.

Third, if you want to reduce your carbon footprint, consider purchasing a carbon offset. Ford is linked up with Terrapass. Ford/Terrapass Greener Miles Program

Mark.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Third, if you want to reduce your carbon footprint, consider purchasing a carbon offset. Ford is linked up with Terrapass. Ford/Terrapass Greener Miles Program "

Baloney. You are just paying $30 per year for what is primarily a sop to the conscience.

The only real way to reduce carbon use is - wait for it - to reduce carbon usage in your lifestyle. Ride a bike, take public transport occasionally, drive a smaller vehicle (perhaps a hybrid), drive slower on the freeway, etc.
  • Options
    Actually it doesn't reduce your carbon use, it only makes you carbon neutral. Now if you purchased 2, then you would be reducing the carbon generated and you would be reducing your carbon useage.

Try not to throw stones when you live in a glass house...you never know when someone else will return the favor.

Mark.
  • Options
    devomidevomi Member Posts: 10
    Keep in mind you get much reduced MPG in cold weather. i ahve a '07 HEV FWD that I bought in August. In summertime temps, I was getting 36MPG, now in winter(in Michgan) I am getting 27MPG It does take about a month to figure out how to drive a hybrid
  • Options
    I too have a new '07 4WD, now has about 2500 miles in couple of months. I didn't measure my first tankfuls because I was so heady about getting 34-36 MPG according to my computer. I still "hyper drive" mostly around town and Beltway driving. Current fuel economy based on tank measurements, 24, 22 and 25 MPG. Not that heady. Its getting colder here and its probably not broken in. I've just got to accept its the most efficient SUV you can throw a kayak on. dfincher
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Actually it doesn't reduce your carbon use, it only makes you carbon neutral. Now if you purchased 2, then you would be reducing the carbon generated and you would be reducing your carbon useage.

Try not to throw stones when you live in a glass house...you never know when someone else will return the favor. "

Not sure what you mean by "glass house" (maybe a greenhouse?). The entire point of "carbon neutral" is to provide a "global" value of zero (drive car = carbons, tree = uses up carbon). My point was that the real way to reduce carbon is not with offsets.

BTW, I drive an ICE vehicle (though not a large one), without "carbon offsets", but the vehicle size is an economic, not environmental, choice. Except for towing and true farm work, I've never seen the point of monster pickups and SUVs.

The entire concept of "carbon neutral" is unproven, and in any case who knows what percentage of funds provided actually plant trees, and how much is "overhead"?

If one is so interested in reducing global carbon, they should plant their own tree, in their own back yard. And then, ride to work, take public transport, etc.

Mind you, I'm not advocating either action, just pointing out that those who really believe in reducing carbon footprints would be better off by doing something other than "carbon offset".
  • Options
    Not to get 2 far off topic but Terrapass is way more than planting trees and its independantly audited. Its sponsored by Ford.

Mark.
  • Options
    heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    Ford sould spend more time trying to increase mpg of their vehicles than supporting BS PC pie-in-the-sky PR schemes. What's next? Buy a Ford and stop AIDs in Africa?
  • Options
    shaendrashaendra Member Posts: 3
    OK, so I'm sure the vehicle is still calibrating itself, but we bought a new one with about 34mi on it, and took it out for a little celebratory trip. Got home with 178mi on it, and the average according to the little touchscreen interface "last fifteen minutes" system was 38.1MPG. This is slightly mixed driving, but mostly hiway, at 60mph using cruise control on fairly flat terrain (SE Texas). I saw the little bars peak t 60 quite a few times in stop-and-start traffic. Haven't read through the manual yet, but this was driving with no A/C and the "Econ" button in the center console activated.

Much better than the '99 Dakota I've had since it was new. I think that thing averaged about 20MPG on a good drive! LOL!
  • Options
    z28gurlz28gurl Member Posts: 5
    By that I mean, not "babying" it into a start to get the most out of the batteries, and using AC or heat from time to time,
    The one i am driving is averageing 36 MPG
    And has 79 000 kms. ( Sorry from Canada here, not sure what that is in Miles but lukily I can make it tell me the MPG)
  • Options
    floyd2222floyd2222 Member Posts: 9
    For whatever reason, I get better mileage on the highway then I do in town, even though I really try hard to keep the gas engine off as much as possible. I thought city driving was suppose to be less. I have about 4000 miles on it and haven't touched the average MPG reset switch since I drove it out of the dealers. Is presently at 30.1 MPG with about even highway and city driving. Maybe a little more city overall.
    Floyd
  • Options
    floyd2222 -
    if you have not reset the avg mpg in the truck's message center...how are you calculating the difference between hiway and city fuel economy? (this may provide an answer)
  • Options
    floyd2222floyd2222 Member Posts: 9
    It seems that whenever I go on the highway for 40 or 50 miles, I can get it to kick up a couple of tenths of a MPG, whereas if I drive only in the city for a few days it tends to go down a little. Granted nothing scientific, but it happens consistently that way. On the highway the cruise control seems to be important to increase that number. I use as much as I can.
    Floyd
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    If you are a long-term hybrid owner, our Senior Editor, John O'Dell, would love to hear from you! A short email with your maintenance experiences and concerns would be great. Please send to John at jodell@edmunds.com by close of business Wednesday, August 22, 2007. Be sure and include your Forums username.
  • Options
    Floyd, I'm a long term Ford Escape 4WD Hybrid owner, my 2006 turns two next month, with only 17K miles! I've discovered that on highway miles, if not pushing too hard but staying 65-70 mph, I get an average of just over 30 MPG, but in city driving, especially short hops, I only get about 28 MPG, and less if air is on. It's a honey of a car, smooth and peppy, but mindful driving when battery is charged up does deliver good mileage, for an SUV. The trouble with city driving is the flow of traffic, where you have to keep up, go on green and stop on red, which cuts into MPG. If no other traffic around, I can run more on electric mode, but stepping on it revs into gas engine quickly, perhaps too quickly, so MPG drifts down. I also discovered, since I have a short commute, that if I don't do a lot of steady highway driving, but just hopping around town, there seems to be a natural drift down on the display. It's easy to lose 0.1 MPG when the engine starts, but it's harder to get it back, so eventually it drifts below 28. I never managed to get 32 MPG in city as claimed, however it does better on highway than claimed. All around, it's been a great car. Wife and I love it. :)
This discussion has been closed.