Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado 2500 LD vs 2500 HD 6.0 liter

124»

Comments

• Options
    sf0383sf0383 Member Posts: 204
    the 2500HD's been around. For some reason I was thinking they just started with the HD as a different offering in 2001?
  • Options
    ccarroll05ccarroll05 Member Posts: 4
    My '99 Silverado LS 2500 is stickered as "HD" but I think it must be what they are now calling just the 2500. It has the Vortec 6.0L, HD 4-speed auto, GVW 8600, 3.73 and Autotrac, oil cooler, locking diff
  • Options
    randersenrandersen Member Posts: 52
    The new HD series is easiest to spot versus the 2500 mentioned earlier since it has a different hood. Also, the HD's have the two new engines available. Specifically, the 2500HD has just that as an emblem on the side with a 9200 GVWR, so really the new 2500HD is basically a 1 ton. The 3500 only comes as a dually.
  • Options
    I looked under my 2500HD last night. The exhaust pipe does have a bend in it, but not what I would call exteme enough to call a 'kink'. Maybe stop at a nearby dealer and see if any of theirs have as extreme of a bend. The 2001 chevy truck book has a 3500 dually on it's side to see the chassis. So there's another chance to check out the exhaust.
  • Options
    xringxring Member Posts: 129
    Thanks for taking a look at the exhaust pipe. Let us know what the dealer says. Service manager where I bought my rado says they all have it. Just doesn't seem right.

John
  • Options
    maddog15maddog15 Member Posts: 1
    I have heard of a problem with the ceramic gasket in the Allison automatic. Does anyone know anything about this? Is there a problem and if so, has it been corrected in the recent models. We tow a 7200lb gvwr travel trailer. What kind of milage can I expect from the Duramax Diesel when towing and solo.
    Thanks
  • Options
    gene66gene66 Member Posts: 13
    I'm new to this so be patient.
    1) I just want to know what autotrac does, and what happens if your truck does not have autotrac?
    2)Secondly, what does locking differential means. Again, what does it do?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    I am new at explaining this so likewise be patient.

A locking differential is an optional rear end that will sense the loss of traction to one wheel if it begins to spin. At that point it will "lock" and send power to the other wheel to hopefully get you moving.

Autotrack is an optional feature available on some models that is similar to a locking differential. When engaged, Autotrack will automatically engage the 4 wheel drive and send power to the front wheels if it detects the rear wheels slipping.

Hope this helps. Now sit back and watch the rest of these guys shoot holes in this...LOL
  • Options
    xringxring Member Posts: 129
    Check this out: http://torquecontrol.eaton.com/prodinfo/products/index.html

The videos are good also.

John
  • Options
    gene66gene66 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for your answers.
    As I understand autotrack is not available in the 2500 HD series. Is that true? If yes, do you think this is very important? I mean, can't you just engage 4WD when the conditions demand it? I live in Canada (lots of snow on the roads) so this is an important aspect for me. I'm still trying to decide between 1500 and 2500 series. Should autotrack availability be a deciding factor???
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    Differences between a 2500 and 2500 HD, 2500 8600 GVW, 3.73 and 4.10 rear end available, autotrack available, Reg Long or Ext Cab SB, 6.0L motor only, 2500HD 9200 GVW, weighs about 300 more than 2500, so 300 more payload, 4.10 only with the 6.0L, NO autotrack, any combination you want, CC, Ext Cab, ext, 6.0, 8.1 with 3.73, 4.10, Allison or 6 spd, Duramax, 3.73, Allison, 6spd, Sits 2" higher, has hood bulge on Chevy. That is pretty well the lowdown on the 2500, you should be pretty familiar with the 1500, the autotrack is a nice feature in that you can set it and it turns like it is in 2wd in town or on the road but when you give it the gas or start slipping the Front engages. Pretty handy but not critical. Sounds like to me if you want autotrack and need a little more truck, get the 2500 LD with autotrack, (only with AUTO). Should be more than enough truck or you wouldn't have considered the 1500 in the first place.

Best of luck

Hunter
  • Options
    mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    The 8600lb 2500 is available in a Reg Cab Lonbed 2wd only, or an Ext Cab Shortbed 4wd only.

Mike L
  • Options
    Sure enough, looks like GM pulled a switch on me. The 2500 is only available in just what you said. With the addition of the 1500 HD which is a rebadged 2500LD in a CC variant which can be had in LS or LT form with 2wd or 4wd.

Sorry I didn't catch that one.
    Hey if he could find a 2000 on the lot he could get a real bargin.

Hunter
  • Options
    I keep seeing posts about this thing but haven't seen any information anywhere else. Is it available now?
  • Options
    Yes it is available. Check KBB.com for pricing and options. Checked with dealer and they are taking orders for them now. But the CC allocation is the hard part whether it is a 2500 HD or a 1500 HD. I heard of one dealer had an allocation for one this week they received.

Best of luck,

Check with your local dealer

Hunter
  • Options
    shawn106shawn106 Member Posts: 16
    I just placed an order last week,1500Hd cc 4x4 LS trim(only way it comes)its like a tahoe with a pick up bed. Shawn
  • Options
    chris481chris481 Member Posts: 1
    I have just recently purchased the GMC 2500HD 4X4 and went to get my winch installed w/ brush guard and they couldn't get any of them to fit??? Are there any available at this time? If so what kind and how do I get them.

Warn said they wouldn't have theirs ready for production until Feb.
  • Options
    I don't know much about the winches, but I do know that if you want nerf bars/step bars, they need a different bracket for installation versus the 1500/regular 2500. I have a 2001 2500HD 4wd shortbox and the accessory shop did have to doublecheck for ordering the nerf bars. I went with the Westin CPS(chrome plated stainless) and they are different due to the HD having a different frame. Also, noone knows of any bugshields available for the HD and it's bulging hood either. It may take six months for the accessory people to catch up.
  • Options
    4x44x4 Member Posts: 114
    I don't remember what brand it was, but it looked really good for the bulged hood.. figured it would look weird with the bulge.. BUT he already had to take it off.. it was making a severe noise when driving highway speeds..

• Options
    hknoepflehknoepfle Member Posts: 45
    I hear so much about LD vs. HD! I have a 2000 2500 ext cab sb w/6.0 and 4:10 rear. If all I want to do is tow and not haul, what does it matter if I don't have a 8600lb. or 9200lb. GVW??
  • Options
    Unless you want the Diesel or the 8100, it really doesn't. The standard 2500 is a very capable vehicle in a nice package. It is easier to get into, costs a little less. Weighs about 300 less. Has the 3.73 gears available. Now comes in a 1500 HD if you want a crew cab. (It is a standard 2500 in a crew cab). For you it may be the right truck for you. For me I will either buy a 1500 HD CC or a 2500HD CC with the Duramax or 8100.

Best of luck

Hunter
  • Options
    roger350roger350 Member Posts: 157
    Yeah, according to the Silverado brochures, you can actually tow about 500lb more than a similarly equipped 2500HD with the 6.0. At least with ball/receiver hitch setup. Now with a 5th wheel, the bigger GVWR of the 2500HD might make up the difference? I can't remember exactly?
  • Options
    Rear axle on the HD may be heavier duty than regular 2500 as well as rear springs stronger in HD, thus more forgiving with heavier trailer tongue weight. Screw the GVWR's, drive em both and buy the one you like better.
  • Options
    texas4x4texas4x4 Member Posts: 4
    I'm thinking about purchasing a 2500hd 4x4 ext.cab or crew cab with the 6.0L. Can anyone tell me what kind of gas milage they are getting and how do you like the truck.

thanks,

texas4x4
  • Options
    I know there are some guys (And maybe gals too for that matter) that are waiting on trucks that have been ordered. I'm posting this so you maybe can get a feel for time frames. I placed an order for a 2500HD, 4x4, crew cab, 6.0, automatic on November 2nd. The order was pulled last Tuesday 1/16 and given a TPW of 1/29. Dealer says 4-5 days to build and 10 more to ship so I should have truck mid February.
    Does anyone know how to track the status once production and shipping has begun?
  • Options
    kansankansan Member Posts: 115
    All things being the same, (2500 LS 4wd Ext. Cab SB), Edmunds shows the LD weighing 5659 and the HD weighing 5508. That means an equivalent light duty weighs 151 lbs. more than a heavy duty. I thought it would be the other way around. Does anyone know why this is?
    Ken
  • Options
    but could it be that Edmund's is (Dare I even think it much less actually say it with Poco's itchy finger poised over the delete button) ......wrong!?!?
    There, I said it. I know, I know, I'm a dead man but sometimes you are your own worst enemy.
    I looked for the curb weight on the chevy site but they don't even list one. What's up with that?
  • Options
    I have about 6000 miles on my pu and am getting at best 15.9 on the freeway at 70mph empty. I have a 4:10 rear end. I think the mileage is great considering the pull power and performance of this motor. In town and around about 13mpg.
  • Options
    sounds pretty good. Is it a LD or HD, 4x2 or 4x4?
  • Options
    texas4x4texas4x4 Member Posts: 4
    I appreciate the information HKNOEPFLE. I would like to know is it HD 4x4. If so, how's the quality of the truck interior and exterior.

thanks,
    TEXAS4X4
  • Options
    A little additional info on my truck to respond to your inquires. My pu is a 2000 2500 ex cab 2wd with the optional HD package. Last year if you ordered a 6.0 with low rear end and bigger tires you had the option of the HD suspension. I don't believe they had a LD and HD in 2wd in 2000. I was quite surprise when I went to pick up my truck and found it to be as 'high' looking as a 4wd. The height difference of my 2wd and a 4wd is less than 1/2 inch. For a 2wd it looks pretty tough. I may get a pair of those step up bars as it is a bit difficult to just step into it. Any suggestions for a good manufacturer of the step bars??
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
  • Options
    cwzcwz Member Posts: 72
    The GMC with the M74 tranny includes a temp gauge. Why doesn't the Silverado with M74 also include the gauge. Can the Silverado be retrofitted with the gauge as the dash area looks like the GMC where the gauge readout is.
  • Options
    pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    discussions on this board where this subject could be discussion, this discussion is going to be closed and achived.

Please continue this subject in Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra 2500 and/or Chevy Silverado Cont'd. If you come across this discussion and feel that it should be re-opened, please send me an email with your request. Thanks.

Pocahontas

Host
    Pickups Message Board

This discussion has been closed.