Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado 2500 LD vs 2500 HD 6.0 liter

shum1shum1 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
The price seems the same. Whats the difference?
The dealer told me the 6 liter in the HD was 320hp
but the pamplet says 300. Is the HD
heavier/slower? When could I buy one like this?

Comments

• richardm6richardm6 Member Posts: 45
    shum1

From what I've heard the engines and trannys are the same. The main differences are that the frame is heavier on the HD, suspension is heavier, the HD sits higher, and you can get a crewcab in the HD

Hope this helps Richard Mc
  • kingfishguskingfishgus Member Posts: 112
    I don't think they offer the LD anymore.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    - Tim
  • roger350roger350 Member Posts: 157
    They do still have the 2500 "LD," but to call it a light duty truck is silly, in my opinion. But I digress. They have limited the configurations that are available in the "LD" 2500 however. I was trying to decide between the two myself, before I ordered the "HD" 2500. The biggest difference that is worth anything is that the "HD" comes with the full floating 14 bolt, instead of the semi-floater. I have heard the frame is different, but I do not know how much. For me it was an appearance thing. I really liked the looks of the "HD" front end even more than the "LD." I believe the "LD" is about 100 lbs. lighter, as it has about a 100 lb advantage in all the trailer ratings, when both have the 6.0L and 4.10 gears. I would like to think the "HD" uses beefier suspension arms, CV joints, etc., but I doubt it. My guess is it is heavier springs, the full floater, maybe some frame differences, and the front end sheet metal. Go with the one you like the most.
  • jasper33jasper33 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone explain to me what the "semi-floater" referred to in Roger's post (#4) is exactly?
    Best description I can give you is that semi floater's carry the weight of the truck on the axles. The full floaters have a hub arrangement that carries the weight of the vehicle, so the axles themselves are not being stressed by the vehicle weight. On a full floater you can pull the axle out without even jacking up the vehicle. On a semi floater I don't think you can. Bottom line, the full floater is the stronger setup, but I don't think too many people are snapping axles in the semi floaters, so if you don't need the increased payload, you don't need the full floating axles.
  • sdpiersonsdpierson Member Posts: 69
    Are you positive the 2500 "LD" is not a full floater?
    Come to think about it, I never have seen behind the center cap on the rear wheels, and the center cap doesn't look big enough.
    Most accounts from people here about 6-8 months ago said the 2500 "LD" had the semi floater. This was from 2500 owners. Also, all the aftermarket people list ring gears and diffs as the 9.5" unit. Having said that, one guy with a 2000 2500 "LD" said he did have the full floater, as the hub protruded like 3" from the wheel. It was generally thought that he just got one that was built with the 10.5" full floater because there was a shortage of the 9.5" at the time. So some may have gotten the 10.5" full floater? I'm just passing on what 2500 owners told me though.
    Interesting. I'll have to start asking around here. Thanks.
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    There are many similarities between the ld and the hd. They have the same engine and transmission (in 6.0L variant). They have about the same trailering capacity and payload capacity. The hd does have the available crew cab and extended cab long bed. The ld can be 3.73 for better gas milage or can get the 4.10 which is manditory in the hd. The ld sits 2" or so lower so that improves gas milage and makes it easier to get into. The HD weighs more which makes it get worse gas milage and slower acceleration. The ld can have autotrack, which since Ive had it in two trucks, I don't want to give up unless necessary. The autotrack isn;t available in the hd. It works great on rain slicked, snow slicked, or iced roads. In autotrack it is easy to manuver, you can steer like in 2wd in parking lots making turns, but if you goose it you wont slide around and spin your tires because the 4wd engages. The way I see it if you need a big block v8 or diesel, the hd is obvious, if you don't consider the ld.

LOL

Hunter
    I think you've basicly summed it up. Only I don't think the call it a "Light Duty", they just call it a 2500. In 1999 and 2000 they offered a 2500 LD in 2wd only.
    For all the reasons you stated, 2" lower but the same ground clearance, Autotrac, 3.73, lighter, slightly better gas mileage, is why I ordered a 2500.
    I was close to being able to use a 1/2 ton but the payload is just a little light for me. I believe resale and better dependability will make up for the decreased fuel mileage over a 1500.
    Looks like this may be the last year they make this truck. Could end up being a great year for the 2500.
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    Im not sure if it will be the last year or not. It fills in a nice spot in gms vehicle lineup. I think as long as ford has there 250 ld and 250 sd setup gm will stick with this. I certainly hope so because many people need the ld, and many do need the hd. They would I think loose sales if they dropped it. As far as I am concerned I will have to see the milage figures and drive a HD duramax to decide if the duramax/allison is worth the extra $5500 bucks and hassels of the wait. The real kicker is the fact that the Diesel fuel in illinois is about .20 cents higher than gasoline in road grade. But if the prices are going to remain so high, then the diesel may pay for itself sooner with the increased milage. I guess I don't mean pay for itself but at least pay for the depreciation on the motor to be able to trade every two or three years without costing more than haveing owned the 6.0 L. For me the noise and milage are the kickers. If I am not impressed (it will take a lot), with the duramax, then it is the 2500 (LD) for me.
  • 4x44x4 Member Posts: 114
    I think they stopped making it in 99....Again I got the HD cuz I needed a crew cab and the mileage can't be any worse than the 8.1l...numbers i have seen for the 8.1l is 12.8 highway...i didn't get the 8.1 cuz i don't need it and i don't need the dmax's price tag...
    how can you call the current HD...an LD?.....suddenly because a 9200GVW is out an 8600 is now LD?

- Tim
  • z71z71 Member Posts: 67
    duty than the HD....maybe?
    - Tim
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I don't think so...

LOL

Dean
  • levelheadlevelhead Member Posts: 1
    Is the 5-speed manual transmission in the 2500 HD a different transmission than the one in the 1500? What about the 5-speed in the 2500 LD? Same as the 2500 HD?
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    HD has better brakes, axles, engine, transmission, rides better and lasts longer too. Does any of this sound familiar?

Agree with Oby...

LOL
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    starting to sound like Tim
    ...but these people are comparing an 8600 as the LD and a 9200 as the HD....when both have better brakes,axles,..etc....

- Tim
    I know the 2500 is stronger has a heavier frame and all.

But are the brakes actually bigger and better? Arent they the same? I dont know just asking.

Ryan
    Frame
    axles
    Brakes
    front end parts
    ....blah blah blah
    exhaust
    driveshaft

- Tim
    I have a Z71 decal and better looking rim. Beat that haha.

Interior 1500 vs 2500 is exactly the same

And also think to yourself do i really need a 3/4 HD truck???

Ryan
    hehehhe

Better looking wheels?...I think not....decal?...well..if you think a decal makes a truck......

Interior is actually not the same....I have a Trans temp guage...LOL

do I need one?...well...I have used the load capacity several times...and the ride for me is farr superior...and it is My money....so yeah!

The ride on that 1500 Burb was way too mushy....as is my frinds 2000 Sierra Ext Cab 1500..

to each his own......(why do people keep making me say this crap??)

- Tim
    how about denial!

- Tim
    I have no need for a 2500 as of now. The 1500 ride for me is great. Maybe cause im young. The rims on the 1500 (aluminum) look much better than the 8 lug with that center cap on the 2500's. If it seriously came down to me getting a 2500 or a 1500 again i wouldnt chose the 2500 due to the rims.

Trans temp gauge oooooooo Well i have the trans cooler (came with tow pkg)

Ryan
    ..you started this!

...For the record...the 2500 wheels are aluminum also....and I did not choose it for the wheels and a guage..(babs gets wound up easy eh?)

I like the ride and gearing better..

end of story

- Tim
    Yep all goes back to persoanly opinions that last little blue guy was for you tim. HEHE

Ryan
    ..is that you in your truck?

LOL

hehhhehehe

..Now the need for a 9200 GVW is not there for me.....but by the time 2002's come out....I will have no choice......

...although I do like the new front end better....dealer has a 2500HD Indigo out front....it's a base model...long bed..steel wheels...but the front is nice...

to each his own....my own is a 2500 though..

- Tim
    Yea thats me passing you hanging out my window.

I got to check out a 2500 HD ext cab 4x4 tues. I really like the front end/grill alot. Only downside was no autotrac. Next truck i will look into a 2500 crewcab for sure unless they have a 1500 CC with a 6ft bed by then i should be starting a family and itll work out good.
    ..don't say the F word!

......Autotrac should be there by 2002....if not...oh well...unlike many people.....I know when to use 4Hi and when not to...

later

- Tim
    FAMILY???

I am always thinking ahead sorry

Ryan
  • greggauchogreggaucho Member Posts: 62
    Sorry Tim & Ryan, don't mean to interrupt your fun.

Quad, I have the 2500HD on order for the diesel/allison, but if you only want a 6.0L, does the 9,200GVW truck have any better brakes or axles compared to the 8,600GVW truck? I know the engine is the same. I had the feeling that if you want more truck than a 1/2-ton, but are not going to need 9,200 GVW, you really might be better off getting the standard 2500 over the HD due to less weight, autotrac, less cost, while still getting the good brakes, suspension, tranny, etc.
    Thanks just butt in to talk about trucks.

haha j/k its cool.

On the other post you talked about dogg hair. With the cloth its a pain in the behind to get it off. Especially with carpet floors. Itll never go away

(golden retriver only rode in my truck twice so far i hate cleaning it after he rides in it)

Ryan
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    You bet! If it didn't, why would it weigh more? Of course, there's no future in a light duty 2500. See what Ford did to theirs? HD 2500 has better ride, doesn't wallow from side to side, no mush in the front end, lasts longer and looks better too. (Ryan, did I forget anything? LOL!)

P.S. Perceptions like these are how GM keeps those trendy buyers running back for more, loan papers in hand.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    my dealer accepts American Express. It does wonders for my mileage program....
  • firescoobyfirescooby Member Posts: 7
    You can get autotrac. I looked at a 2001 crew cab last night and it had autotrac.
    No thats not autotrac. Looks like autotrac but it doesnt have the auto 4 wheel. Its an electronic transfer case dont get it confused with autotrac it isnt the same thing

Ryan
  • randersenrandersen Member Posts: 52
    The 2500 LD is the old 8600 gvwr, but it was the 2500 heavy duty back in the 2500 c/k series. The new 2500 HD is really a one ton 9200 gvwr. It appears Chevy only wanted the dually to have the one ton 3500 badge. The HD is standard 4.10 axle with the 6 litre, or 3.73 with the big block or diesel. The torque specs are a little higher on the 6 litre HD. The 6 litre HD supposively gets aluminum heads, but for the most part, just minor tweaking. I have the HD on order, due in December. And you can also get the roof marker lights on the HD. The LD has a traction control option. As far as push button four wheel drive etc, I will always want the stick on the floor. It's just four wheel drive nostalgia that belongs right where it's at.
    is LD....not 8600.....

I know you can't get it...blah blah blah....

In due time 9200 will be the only choice anyway...

- Tim
    The 2500 (not a LD, just a 2500) also gets the aluminum heads. I have seem them. Same motor, 6.0L, that is used in the 2500 HD.

Should be getting my 2500 any day now!!!!
  • randersenrandersen Member Posts: 52
    To add to the confusion their are different LD's with different GVWR's. There is a 7200 GVWR LD in the 2500 but it only comes in two wheel drive. By the way, Chevy used to have a full line of light duty (6 lug rims) and heavy duty (8 lug rims)in the C/K series before the new Silverado, but over the years the lighter 2500 seemed to be slowly phased out in what you could get. The heavier LD with 8600 GVWR, if in two wheel drive, is a long box only,or if in short box (extended cab only) or long box (regular or extended cab) it's a four wheel drive. And you still see the difference with 6 lug rims on the 7200 GVWR and 8 lug rims on the 8600 GVWR. The transmissions also differ in the 7200 vs. 8600. The lighter gets the 4L60E trans while the heavier get the 4L80E trans. In the past, both have had five speed manuals available but the 8600 has a heavier trans with first gear as a granny/creaper gear. And most likely the 7200 GVWR only had the option of the 5300 V-8 as the largest engine.

And according to my dealership, they just call the 2500's in 7200 or 8600 GVWR "the 2500" and the 9200 GVWR is "the 2500HD" I have only seen the LD designation,so far, when pricing the trucks in Edmunds.

Curious though to any responses of people who have factory ordered and taken delivery of a 2500 HD extended cab with a 6 liter of how long it took for delivery. I ordered mine in mid September and the dealer expects a later November delivery.
  • maplemaple Member Posts: 16
    The main difference I see is that the HD is set off the ground more much like a Ford 250HD or Dodge 2500. I have a 2000 3/4 Chevy 4 X 4 regular cab and it will squat some when I hook up to my 3 horse gooseneck. I bet the chevy HD will hold up better.
    The HD can carry about 400lbs more than the 2500, but the ground clearance is the same. The HD has a 2" body (not suspension) lift to fit the Allison.
  • 4x44x4 Member Posts: 114
    The frame is actually just two inches thicker than the other Silverados....so there is no body lift either or not until i get my hands on mine
  • gwmooregwmoore Member Posts: 230
    I am 99% positive that you can only get the 4.10 with the gas engines on the 2500HD.
    want a 3:73 in a 2500?

- Tim
  • richardm6richardm6 Member Posts: 45
    The 6.0 is only availabe with 4.10 gears in the HD trucks. The 8.1 is available with 3.73 and 4.10. The Duramax is only available with 3.73.

Richard Mc
  • jeffs00z71jeffs00z71 Member Posts: 8
    My dad currently purchased a Z71 - 5.3L w/ 3.73 in the rear. He's getting about 18 mpg cith/highway. Im planning on purchasing a 2001/2500 chevrolet silverado with the 6.0 365c.u.i motor. anybody know what type of mileagewith this new motor to chevrolet? and wasn't last years 3/4ton cast iron heads instead of aluminum?
This discussion has been closed.