Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Lease Questions

Comments

• fubar2fubar2 Member Posts: 12
    can someone comment on this....mandv leasing? or leasing companies in general.....good or bad? Im sure there are stories that go both ways but in general shouldnt i be able to get a better deal by dealing direct? anybody had any other leasing experiences with car leasing companies?
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    You would think you could do as well on your own. Easy way to check. Get a quote from mandv --- include the inception fees and take the quote to your dealer to meet or beat. Check miles and months.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi kr3pt0n. According to the latest information that I have seen, through the end of June BMW Financial Services' buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 X5 35i with 10,000 miles per year are .00230 and 59%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi stonfre1. According to the latest information that I have seen, through June 30th BMW Financial Services' buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 X5d with 10,000 miles per year are .00230 and 59%, respectively.

BMW is scheduled to announce its May sales results today. Even though its current lease program is not scheduled to end until the end of June it sometimes introduces program enhancements to dealers when it discusses the prior month's sales with them. Please feel free to check back with me in a day or two and I'll gladly let you know if anything has changed.

I see that you are considering making a huge $10,000 down payment on your lease. I always advise consumers against making large down payments on leased vehicles. Those who make them risk losing part or all of them if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered. It is much safer to go with a zero down lease.

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket and you really want to lower your X5's monthly payment, you should consider using the cash to make multiple security deposits. BMW provides a .00007 money factor reduction for every extra deposit that lessees make.

Car_man
    Host
  • eagleeye3eagleeye3 Member Posts: 44
    I heard some rumors about tiered money factor rates from BMWFS for certain credit scores. For instance, customer with credit score 740+ would receive a .00035 discount off the "buy rate". I am looking at leasing the X5 35i Sport Activity and the "buy rate" appears to be .0023 (36 months) - which is higher than the loan rates offered by most credit unions (4.25% for 72 mo car loan). It would be a nice payment reduction if tiered rates were truly in place. Anyone have any experience with this?
  • zoomazooma Member Posts: 19
    Car_man,
    Any new info on the June lease rates or enhancements,specifically for premium X5 35i, 36 months and 12k/15k miles per year? TIA
  • accordpower1accordpower1 Member Posts: 4
    I heard that the lease rates haven't changed for June but good news for those of us that want to finance. BMWFS announced today on 2011 x5's 0.9% APR for up to 24 months or 2.9% APR for 25-60 months financing.

Very good reduction from the previous 4.9% they were offering on 2011 x5's.
  • blackknight4blackknight4 Member Posts: 28
    Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal. Thanks for the help.

2011 X5 35d ($51,300)
    Black Sapphire Metallic
    Black Nappa Leather ($1,450)
    Dark Bamboo Wood trim
    Sport Activity Package ($2,200)
    Sat Radio ($300)
    Dest and Handling ($875)
    = $56,175 (- eco credit $4500) = MSRP $51,675

36 months/12k miles a year
    $650 a month without tax
    $650 (first month)+$725 (bank Fee) + $150 (registration)= $1525 total
    out of pocket
    Hi eagleeye3. BMW has always used a pass / fail sort of system for its lease program rather than tiered rates. Traditionally, it has been either you qualify for BMW Financial Services' best available money factor or you can't lease through them at all...and unless your credit is really messed up you will qualify to lease through them.

I am not aware of any recent changes to this system.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi zooma. BMW Financial Services' June buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 X5 35i with 15,000 miles per year are .00230 and 56%, respectively.

The residual value for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year would be 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi blackknight4. It's good that you know that this truck's exact MSRP is, but you never mentioned an even important number...the selling price that the dealer is charging you for it. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for them or financing them. Without this number, it is difficult to tell how large a dealer discount you are being given and in turn whether there is any room left to negotiate.

Let us know what this truck's selling price is and I'm sure that either myself or another knowledgeable community member will gladly share their opinion on this deal with you.

Car_man
    Host
  • blackknight4blackknight4 Member Posts: 28
    This is blackknight4. Sorry about that carman. The selling price is $49,649. thanks
  • zheckszhecks Member Posts: 50
    Anyone has any insights on what is the going price over invoice for a 2011 X5 3.5i Premium? I got a quote for $2500 over invoice. is it a reasonable offer?

thanks in advance
    Thanks for the additional information, blackknight4. OK, so you're interested in a 2010 BMW X5 35d that has an MSRP of $51,675 and a selling price of $49,649. That's just over a $2,000 dealer discount on a truck that probably has a spread of around $4,400 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. That puts you at $2,000 to $2,500 over dealer invoice.

I am not intimately familiar with what the market is like for this truck in your area, but that's a lot of room to play with. It probably wouldn't hurt to do a little comparison shopping to see if you can find a dealer that's willing to shave another grand or so off of this truck's price.

Car_man
    Host
  • kr3pt0nkr3pt0n Member Posts: 8
    I'm interested in a 36mo 10k/yr lease on x5 5.0 premium, sport, technology and comfort access packages. MSRP $68,425.00. Could anyone tell me what a good lease rate would be with 3000 total due at signing? Should I just negotiate the invoice with the dealer and then telling him I'm leasing?
  • eagleeye3eagleeye3 Member Posts: 44
    I just ordered an X5 35i Sport Activity for $1000 over invoice in So Cal, but maybe pricing is better in my area. I had two other offers around $1,500 over invoice. Said another way, the MSRP was 64,075 and my selling price was 60,510 (includes $580 for MACO/Training) - which is 3,565 under MSRP.
  • bdell17bdell17 Member Posts: 6
    I just finalized a 36 month lease on a 2011 35i X5 Premium with convenience, cold weather and tech package, running boards, satellite radio (1 year), MSRP $59,575, 12,000 miles for $799 (no money down). Roughly $1,200 over invoice.

Residual is 62% and money rate is .00230. Residual on 15k per year is 60%.

Had 2 dealers in NJ that offered the same deal, just came down to color.
    Did dealers have that car in stock, or did you order? And what color did you end up with?
    As of June 10, I was quoted 62% residual on 12k miles and 60% on 15k miles. Money rate still at .00230
    I decided on the black sapphire metalic. Car was allocated to delaer with delivery on June 25.

The other color, Silver Metalic, was in stock at another dealer.
  • nlproductionsnlproductions Member Posts: 25
    Car_Man,

We are interested primarily in a diesel but if you could provide us with the June money factor and residual on the X5 models for a 24 month 15 K mile lease it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
  • kshibleykshibley Member Posts: 1
    Need some input on if this is a good deal. Have been offered a 36 month lease on 2011 x5, only options being running board, sat radio. MSRP at $53275, dealer offer of $50,775. THere is a 7% sales tax. I am being offered 60% residual for 12kmiles at $777 per month, with $1400 up front. (first month payment, doc fees, title) They quoted me as $600 over invoice. Based on some other leases I've seen here, it seems what they shave off the MSRP should be more???
  • yjpyjp Member Posts: 3
    I live in Northern VA, and would like to lease new 2011 x5 diesel. What would be the reasonable selling price for the truck? I liked one w/ MSRP of around $66,000. Is it possible to get around $57,000 including $4,500 eco credit from the mgfr. I think it's around the invoice price. Please give me some thoughts.
    Hi nlproductions. BMW Financial Services' June buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2011 X5 35d with 15,000 miles per year are .00230 and 64%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2011 X5 35i are .00230 and 62%. The residual value increases to 66% for the Premium and 67% for the Sports Activity.

The numbers for the '11 X5 50i are .00230 and 67%.

Car_man
    Host
  • sunnyvalisunnyvali Member Posts: 33
    I have talked to couple of dealers in the Dallas area to inquire about the current lease offer from BMW on the 35d model. They have come back to tell me that it is not possible to get the SUV at that monthly price (excluding tax, title, etc.) even if I get (order) the car priced/equipped exactly as the way it is advertised. Plus, I am told the $4,500 eco credit is already computed into the $539/month/$5914 cash due, current offer.

Do folks here get leases at the advertised price or these are just eye candy?

Thanks!
    Call BMW customer service and explain the problem.
  • kabbalahkabbalah Member Posts: 58
    edited June 2010
    I'm a little confused. Can you please give me the residuals and mf's for both the x5 6cyl & 8cyl Sports activity, both for 24 & 36 month, and with 12k and 15k. My 07 x5 is off lease in 45 days and I need to start shopping. I am in Atlanta GA.

Thanks
  • kpsearchingkpsearching Member Posts: 1
    Picking this baby up this Friday:
    MSRP 59450
    Payment: 740 /month for 2011 X5 3.5 Premium for 36/12k with Rear Ent, Nav, Assist (required with Nav), 3d row, convenience.

This is with tax, just 740 TOTAL upfront, uses 1500 BMW X3 incentive(I returned my X3 lease) and 1000 Ultimate driving event incentive.
    Bank fee, registration and 349.00 Doc fee are included in monthly payment.
  • wolfman007wolfman007 Member Posts: 2
    I plan to buy an X5 and have three options:

1. Purchase a new 2010 X5M for $80,000 (99 miles sticker price of $97k)
    2. Purchase a new 2011 X5 5.0 with Sport and Premium packages; or
    3. Purchase a new 2011 X5 3.5 Turbo.

I drove the 5.0 and it seemed very nice. I will drive both the X5M and the 3.5 today.

From a value standpoint, which do you recommend?
    Forget about value -- get the truck that best meets how you drive. Good luck and choose wisely.
  • wolfman007wolfman007 Member Posts: 2
    I've decided on the X5 5.0 with Premium pkg, Sport pkg, 3rd row seat rear climate, rear entertainment, running boards and keyless entry.

I am expecting an offer later today. What should I expect to pay for a lease (money factor) and what will the residual percentage be?

Thanks, Curtis
    Check posts 1238 and 1245.
  • suznsaxsuznsax Member Posts: 13
    Any word on July money rates and residuals? I'm about to do a deal on X5d and am wondering if it makes any difference to wait till those rates come out. I imagine I could get my salesman to commit to the better of the two (June vs. July). Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks
    Won't know until July --- no previews even for dealers. Can't pick between the two -- they are mutually exclusive. On July 1st the June rates are gone.
  • bazizbaziz Member Posts: 6
    Can you tell me what dealership you went to? I just came back from a dealer in Jersey and he quoted me for a 2011 x5 35 Premium with Comfort Access, Convenience, Tech Package, and Cold Weather whose MSRP is about 59000, to pay 700 a month with 9700 due at signing. I'm thinking this is a horrible deal so please let me know the dealership you worked with.

Thanks!
    Anyone who is familiar with BMW Financial Services knows that since the beginning of time it has used a pass / fail system for its lease approval process. Either consumers qualified for its best available rates or they could not lease through BMW FS at all...and your credit had to be pretty messed up for the latter to happen.

Yesterday BMW announced that BMW FS is introducing a tiered system for its lease program. Its rates now vary by credit tier, with the people who have the best credit scores getting slightly better rates than what was available last month and much higher money factors for people with low credit scores.

I should be able to get the full details of this new program some time today. Please feel free to post your questions about it here and I'll gladly fill you in on what I am able to find out.

Car_man
    Host
    Picking up new X5 in couple of days. We had been thinking about financing and "locked in" the June rates (2.9% for up to 60 months). With this tier news, we would want to check into the new lease rates also. I assume we can get out of this "lock in," right? (in fact, I assume, in case the July finance rates are better than June, we can take advantage of those too, right?
  • suznsaxsuznsax Member Posts: 13
    Car_man, thanks so much for posting this. I negotiated a deal for X5d using June rates with a pledge from the salesman to "adjust" for any beneficial change in July rates. I mentioned the new tiered system in an email yesterday and he said that my monthly payment will go down about $20. I would love to know the rates by tier so I can keep him honest.
  • sunnyvalisunnyvali Member Posts: 33
    Any word on the curent lease rates. Looking for the 10k, 12k and 15k for 36 months for the X5d.

Thanks.
    You're very welcome, suznsax. BMW FS' new July buy rate lease money factor for the 2011 X5d is .00210 for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello sunnyvali. Here's the latest.

BMW Financial Services' July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 X5d with 15,000 miles per year are .00210 and 56%, respectively.

The residual value for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year is 2% higher. The 10k resid is 3% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • zheckszhecks Member Posts: 50
    Car_man,

Do you have the current lease rates (July). Looking for the 10k and 12k for 36 months for the X5 35i Premium?

Thanks.
  • 140_6140_6 Member Posts: 2
    Car_man,

Any chance you could also provide the residual for a 24 month lease for 15,000 miles per year for a 2011 X5d?

Thanks.
    I certainly do, zhecks. Here you go. BMW Financial Services' July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 X5 35i Premium with 12,000 miles per year are .00210 and 62%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The residual value for a lease with only 10,000 mies per year is 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go, 140_6. BMW Financial Services' July buy rate lease money factor and residual value or a 24 month lease of a 2011 X5d with 15,000 miles per year are .00210 and 64%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • bmw_carbmw_car Member Posts: 10
    Hi CarMan,

I am confused on the lease payment calculations.

I am using the advertised BMW leasing price and trying to reverse engineer it.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/FinancialServices/LeaseOfferDetail.aspx?e- nc=gxNfrckxtzfGpEIyRuxhfQ==

I am trying to calculate the Money Factor from the published BMW Lease rates and the numbers do not match.
    Can you tell me what I am doing wrong here ?

I am using one of your old post here to calculate the Monthly payment

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef01891/0

Selling Price 52100
    Down Payment 4000
    Cap Cost 48100
    Residual 32823
    Depreciation = Cap Cost - Residual = 48100 - 32823 = 15277
    Monthly Depreciation = 15277 / 36 = 424.3611
    Interest Charges = Cap Cost + Residual = 48100 + 32823 = 80923 * Money Factor = 80923 * 0.0020 = 161.846

However, the interest charge from the advertised price = Monthly Payment - Monthly Depreciation = 539 - 424.36 = 114.64

Can you tell me what is wrong in my calculations ?

Thanks
    I even tried the Lease Calculator in Edmunds located here

http://www.edmunds.com/calculators/auto_lease_calculator_index.html

I entered the following values (exactly) in the calculator as per BMW website offer as given below:

Vehicle Sales Price: 52,100
    Cash Down Payment: 4,000
    Lease Residual Value: 32,823
    Lease Term (months): 36
    Miles Driven per Year: 10,000
    Acquisition Fee (estimated): 725
    Money Factor: 0.0021 My Monthly Payment (tax included): $615.96

Note: I calculated the payment without tax for exact comparison with advertised price.

My local dealer told me that in order to decrease the payment by $30, you have to reduce the MSRP by $1000.
    I am currently finding an offset of $615.96 (Edmunds Calculator) - $539(bmwusa.com Offer) = 76.96

This tells me that there was a discount of about $2500 possibly added by BMW.

Is that true or I am missing something here ?

Thanks for your suggestions and help in calculations.
  • delta737hdelta737h Member Posts: 626
    edited July 2010
    bmw car,

Although I'm obviously not car_man, please allow me to contribute my 2 cents for whatever it's worth. Unfortunately, there is no way to determine the money factor given the information in the promo ad that you referenced. The reason is twofold...

(1) the money factor isn't disclosed which is not unusual and,
    (2) the net (adjusted) capitalized cost is not dislosed

This presents a problem because you have one equation with two unknowns...

P = F x (C + R) + (C - R) / N

P = payment
    F = money factor
    C = net (adjusted) cap cost
    R = residual value
    N = term

Given your data, you're trying to force the $539 payment to "fit" your $48,100 cap cost which, apparently, is not the cap cost used in the ad assuming that your 0.00200 money factor is correct.

Given the info you provided, your base payment is...

P = 0.00200 x (48,100 + 32,823) + (48,100 - 32,823) / 36
    = 586.21

Solving the above formula for F, we get...

F = [P - (C - R)/N]/(C + R)

Now, we can test the likelihood that the promo ad uses an adjusted cap is 48,100 by finding the money factor. Substituting the variables with their assigned values, we get...

F = [539 - (48,100 - 32,823)/36] / (48,100 + 32,823)
    = 0.00141664

Because the digits beyond the 5th to the right of the decimal point are non-zero, it's highly unlikely that 48,100 is the net cap used in the promo ad. Furthermore, you used the MSRP of 52,100 as the sell price. Usually, promo ads discount the MSRP. And so, it's extremely unlikely that a promo ad used the MSRP as the sell price for competitive reasons.

Now, let's examine the money factor. IF the money factor is, indeed, 0.00200, then we can solve for the net cap, used in the ad, using the following formula...

C = [PN +R(1 - FN)] / (1 + FN)

C = [539(36) + 32,823(1 - 0.00200(36)] / (1 + 0.00200(36))
    = 46,514.69

And, because the ad assumes a down payment (i.e., cap reduction) of 4,000, the gross cap is 50,514.69. Moreover, the ad assumes that the 1st payment, sec deposit, and acq fee are paid at lease signing. This suggests that there are no items being capitalized (i.e., financed) in the lease. And so, the sell price equates to the gross cap of 50,514.69 reflecting a discount of 1,585.31 off the 52,100 MSRP. Again, we're assuming that the 0.00200 money factor is the one used in the ad to compute the 539 payment.

Hope this helps.

John
  • delta737hdelta737h Member Posts: 626
    edited July 2010
    bmw car,

It seems that you're doing a lot of guessing. Let me share with you, for whatever it's worth, what I do when leasing...

1st. I do research regarding residual factors, money factor (I always use the buy rate), learn applicable incentives, examine promo ads, and establish a competitive selling price using edmunds, KBB (Kelly Blue Book), and overstock at zag.com.

2nd. I create a one-page lease proposal with all pertinent data including a description of the vehicle, MSRP, sell price, amounts capitalized (e.g., taxes, acq. fee, etc), cap reductions (e.g., trade, cash down, etc), money factor, residual factor, residual value, term, taxable payment, lease payment, amounts due up front (itemized), contract provisions (gap insurance, excess mileage charge, applicable disposition/purchase option fees). All dollar amounts are calculate, not by the dealer, but by me using a program that I created.

3rd. I Fax/email the proposal to the dealer and negotiate via phone/email from the comfort of my home/office with my laptop excel spreadsheet (actually Mathematica) lease program fired up and ready to rumble! The only thing I'm likely to negotiate is the sell price and that only requires a few keystrokes on my laptop. And, bing-bang- boom I'm done!

The key is that you must control the deal. Never allow a dealer to control the deal by allowing them to "run the numbers". Trying to figure out the dealer's numbers is often a pointless exercise and, frankly, a waste of time unless, of course, you have a copy of their LEASE WORKSHEET. This is a computer generated document that eliminates confusion and guess work and will tell you everything you need to know and then some. The beauty of this document is that it always tells the truth. Allowing the dealer to control will only end up costing you more money in most instances.

A one-page lease proposal speaks volumes about you... it sends the message that you know and understand leasing. That quickly serves notice to the dealer, and so; they're not as inclined to play games. This suggests that the biggest advantage of a lease proposal is that it saves time, money, and aggravation.

However, if you agree to allow the dealer to "run the numbers", ALWAYS ask them for their LEASE WORKSHEET. If they refuse to give you a copy, RUN; DON'T WALK!

You stated the following...

"My local dealer told me that in order to decrease the payment by $30, you have to reduce the MSRP by $1000."

Nothing couldn't be further from the truth unless the MSRP is the sell price. This vehicle does not command an MSRP selling price in this market. The selling price is determined independently of the MSRP and is dependent primarily on local demand/supply in your area. The only thing the MSRP impacts is the residual value. Lowering the MSRP, lowers the residual value which, in turn, increases the payment.

Residual Value = Residual Factor x MSRP. In your posted BMW lease promo ad, the residual factor is 63%.

John
    Thank John so so much for all your helpful insights.
    I am in process of creating this spreadsheet as per your suggestion.

I went to two dealership in my areas so far and they scared me with the deals they quoted.

One dealer told me that he is ready to give the 2011 X5 35i Premium with the few options (Technology, Convenience, 3rd Row, Cold Weather) at Invoice price if I complete the deal at the same instant.

Another dealer told me that he would give me the vehicle at $300 over invoice.

Now, I didn't had all the calculations and spreadsheet in front of me to even argue or quote my number or negotiate. It was very evident that I wasn't prepared at that time but I do want to do a good homework this time before I approach them again.

I want to start the negotiation with my numbers and quote rather than the dealer prices.

I will share my numbers shortly for your confirmation that I am on right track.

Thanks again so much.
This discussion has been closed.