Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi bmwvica. Here's a link to BMW's current advertised lease payments for the X5.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/FinancialServices/Offers.aspx?enc=96Fl31Z- pqsqzOqvoJZUT2A/Tvdi8+ibDehkcYz24Mr7WAiP6xgmthyGh9FVB3cHn

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • jrwmjrwm Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I was hoping I could get some help in understanding my best options for negotiating a lease from a starting point of an advertised deal. I am looking at the BMW X5 35i Premium and the current offer is $629/mo for 36 mos with $3000 down ($4,354 due at signing), a money factor of .00195, 10,000 miles/yr (more than enough for me), MSRP of $56,095 and a residual value of $34,779. The current offer includes no additional options and the dealer told me that adding the convenience package would raise the monthly payments to between $825-$850/mo. While I like the idea of a rear view camera, I could do without it. I have read that advertised deals often have little wiggle room for negotiating, is this true of this deal? In addition, what is the protocol regarding items like a cargo mat, etc? Do I have to buy it outright even though I am leasing the car or can I sweeten the deal by getting the dealer to throw it in for free? Thank you in advance for your help!!!
  • abmwfanabmwfan Member Posts: 47
    edited February 2012
    Tips for negotiating a lease have been posted in detail in many recent posts in this forum. For example, review December posts #1786, 1799, 1801, and 1826.

You asked a question specifically about the impact of options on your lease payment. Assuming a 36 month lease, each $1,000 of additional options typically increases your lease payment by about $30 per month. The convenience package costs $3,500 (minus a discount of up to 10%). That means it will add about $110 per month to your payment. (I have the convenience package and it's a really nice thing to have because it includes navigation, traffic information, keyless entry, garage door opener, "top view" camera, google search, etc.) Note: Ask your dealer if they still offer the credit for the navigation system that they offered in Nov/Dec. That will reduce the cost of your convenience package by$1,700.

Cargo mats can be purchased for about $100 in the parts department and they are a good thing to have. You can always ask for extras. My dealer gives new buyers a gift, usually a gift card good for an accessory purchase. Just keep in mind that it's a zero sum game. If they give you $100 cargo mat, that's part of your discount and it's coming out of the deal somewhere.

The advertised deals are just marketing. They're a way for BMW to advertise a sample price for a sample vehicle and notify you that an incentive program may be available. The advertised deals are based on a number of assumptions and you can do better. Never accept the advertised lease offer. Always negotiate the deal or you will pay too much (but the dealer will love you because they'll make a lot of money off you.) This forum has detailed information on that process. Look at post #1786 on 12/30/2011 for an example of how to negotiate a lease. (http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef9d9d2/1785#MSG1785)

I always recommend ordering your X5. It's extremely easy, can be delivered in as little as 3 or 4 weeks, and will give you a fresh car with exactly your choice of color and options. You should not pay more for an ordered vehicle. If your dealer tries to charge you more because you want to place an order, find a new dealer. This is discussed in detail in the posts that I listed.
  • ab10000ab10000 Member Posts: 127
    abmwfan, jrwm

You Math does not add up, That does not make any sense. 1000 increase in option is NOT $30 in lease payment. You have to multiply the (1- residual) which is about 40%. Otherwise 10K in options mean that your payment will go up by 300 a month which is wrong. Remember you are leasing so you pay for the depreciation which is about 40% of MSRP plus interest on full car price divide all by 36 payments. It should be about $13 per month

Use the lease calculator to see the impact of adding more options
    Thank you so much for the useful information! I have reviewed the postings that you recommended and have gathered that I should definitely negotiate the price (up from the factory invoice), but make sure that the other factors remain the same and are not manipulated to change the deal. Also, I should definitely order the car. It sounds like many people are against the idea of putting money down and would instead recommend MSDs- do the dealers often take these in lieu of a down payment? I did check with the dealer regarding the navigation credit and he said that it had expired. After your glowing review of the convenience package, I think I would regret not getting it, but the low-end estimate of $825/mo still sounds too high.

Overall, I am trying to ascertain if this base deal is a good deal and what a good deal will be with the convenience package included. I have never negotiated anything and although I am in my 30s I look much younger, so I feel like the odds of negotiating a fantastic deal are not great. I am in no particular hurry to get a car, either. Therefore, if I can impose on you further, what would be a reasonable expectation for what I can negotiate and, after all that, is the deal even good or will the next 6 mos bring better deals that someone like me will not have to work so hard for?

Again, thank you so much for all of your help- I really appreciate it!
    edited February 2012
    ab10000... you're right that the $30 is the impact on lease payment per $1k net change (option price less residual amount), or, per $1000 of additional down payment (not recommended on a lease). Using a lease calculator is always a better way to go because you can base an estimate on actual numbers and not a rule of thumb.
    "Therefore, if I can impose on you further, what would be a reasonable expectation for what I can negotiate and, after all that, is the deal even good or will the next 6 mos bring better deals that someone like me will not have to work so hard for?"

You asked two questions. First, will there be better incentives six months in the future? We're in late February now and you're getting close to the end of the 2012 model year. You might see some incentives on the last of the 2012 models in late spring or early summer. Otherwise, BMW tends to do a December sales event each year.

Second, how do you know if you're getting a good deal? Everyone has a different opinion. I would say that if you can lease or purchase an X5 for $750 - $1000 over dealer invoice (minus incentives), then you have a fair deal. Maybe you can play hard ball and get it for less.
    Got it. Thank you so much abmwfan and ab10000 for all of your help!
    Another thing that might be helpful... You can lock in incentives and terms when you place your order. If a better incentive or lease program is available when you take delivery in a few weeks, you'll be able to take advantage of that program (or keep your original terms, whichever is better.) So there's no potential penalty to placing an order if incentives improve.
    Best deal I have seen in Northern Ca is $500 over Invoice minus all credits.

BMW Dealers are more willing to negotiate now, and they will beat Costco $1200 over Invoice price. I think because ML350 is being discounted aggressively and it is selling well. I have seen lease on 54K MSRP no down, $545 per month plus TTL.

Also New X5 is coming out in a year or so.
  • trabd123trabd123 Member Posts: 55
    Hi ab10000, which dealer in NorCal are you dealing with or heard that they have good deals? I'm having hard time finding a dealer than negotiates a good lease for BMW x5. I heard that they will have some loyalty and other incentives for X5 in March but not sure if it's true.
  • desidondesidon Member Posts: 29
    Has anyone done a 24 month lease on a x5?
    Can someone pls tell me the Mf and residual on a 24 month / 12k and 24 month/ 15 k mile deal?

Is 36 months the sweet spot for x5 leasing?
    edited February 2012
    36 months is where the residuals and other lease factors tend to produce the lowest effective payment and most lease incentive programs are built for 36 months. Payments on 24 month leases are higher also in part because you are paying that big initial depreciation hit over one third fewer months, which yields a higher monthly payment even though the residual values are a few points higher on a 24 month lease.

I always have the dealer run the numbers on 24/30/36 month leases before I pick one. I have had one 24 month lease. But I usually go with 36 month lease and then just trade out of the vehicle early when I decide I want something different.

You can go to bmwusa.com, pick your model and trim level, "build your own" and then use "Estimate a Payment" to see lease payments at different terms in your state for your vehicle and options. It won't give you an exact payment down to the penny, but you'll be able to compare payments for different lease terms.
  • aborhanaborhan Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    i just got a fully loaded 2012 x5 3.5 prem, nav, pop up speed moniter, 5 cameras, panarama roof, 12 way contour seats, etc, list was $65k with standard tires/shoes, and they threw in 20 in rims and the run flats.

I picked it up in Florida, with sales tax included for $899 monthly. no money down. 36 month 12k.

is this a good deal? i'm pretty happy with it, but did i beat them up enough?
  • nd_irishnd_irish Member Posts: 33
    Hi Car_Man,

I would like to know the March money factor and residual for a 2012 BMW X5 35i Premium lease with 36 months and 12,000 miles per year. Also, are there any new incentives for March? Thank you!
    edited March 2012
    Sorry, That is the highest price I have seen for 3.5 model.
    You could have got the 5.0 for that price.
  • 20snow120snow1 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2012
    That is a really horrible deal I leased an x5 50

M Sport (with 20" wheels)
    Premium Package
    Premium Sound
    Cold Weather
    Multi-Countour Seats
    Tech Package
    Rear Seat Entertainment
    Adaptive Drive

83k MSRP

832/mo
    36 months

NJ Tax included
    0 Down

(with loyalty)
    edited March 2012
    It's usually not a good idea to analyze your deal after you sign on the dotted line. It just leads to a lot of angst over whether you could have gotten a better deal when it's too late to do anything about it.

For the future, here's a tip. If a dealer offers to "throw in" 20" wheels or other expensive freebies, it's a pretty good indicator that they are making a lot of money off the deal. Dealer's don't throw in freebies if they're selling the vehicle for $500 over dealer invoice unless they're desperate to get rid of old inventory.

But, don't beat yourself up over the possibility that someone somewhere else may have leased a similar vehicle for a few dollars per month less. Enjoy your brand new BMW and don't look back. Then get your revenge on the dealer with your next purchase by reading all the tips in these forums before you ink the deal.
  • 20snow120snow1 Member Posts: 2
    Well put abmwfan...my lease was from the holiday promotion with extensive loyalty and promotional money. The 50's are much harder for the dealers to sell. I also don't have the same amount of mileage. The 50 is a pig on gas (though not as bad as my range) and from what I hear does not perform proportionally better. I will say it seems the additional options residualize well in the sense they didn't tack on as much as I would have thought considering I looked at a much less equipped 50 for which was not that much cheaper and it prompted me to spend the extra 80-90/month. Good luck on your 35! don't analyze the deal its a great car, surprisingly efficient and leases better than most other suvs in the class like the cayenne and a7 which are in my opinion not has stylish or fun. Enjoy!!!
    edited March 2012
    I have a 2012 X5 5.0. It's my eighth X5. Whatever you heard about the 5.0 not performing better, proportionally or otherwise, is wrong. It is significantly faster than both the 3.5i and the 3.5d. The smaller engines can't touch the 5.0's torque, acceleration, or passing power. I average over 22 mpg in highway driving with a lead foot, which is hardly a "pig" considering the size of the engine, the weight of the vehicle, and considering that the 3.5i is only rated at 23.5 mpg highway.

When I ordered this X5 for delivery in December, the lease payment was lower than the diesel and roughly the same as the 3.5i even though this vehicle had a much higher sticker price. That's because the residuals were significantly higher on the 5.0. People assume that a lower sticker price means a lower lease price, but that often is wrong. I always get the lease residual sheet from the dealer and look for the trim level that has the highest residual.
    edited March 2012
    Hi abmwfan
    Can you share with us your lease payment and how much down did you put?
    edited March 2012
    Hi 20snow1
    Can you tell us what MF you got and what is the selling price of the car?
  • rana535ixrana535ix Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have been reading a lot on this forum, great informative material here !!!

I just wanted to find out what current incentives are on the 2012 X5 35i Premium or Sports Activity.

I will be coming out of a 2010 535ix Lease in the next couple of months and would like to get into a X5 Lease.

Your help is appreciated !!!
    Here you go nd_irish. BMW Financial Services' March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 X5 35i Premium with 12,000 miles per year are .00195 and 61%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

I don't believe that BMW is currently providing any cash incentives on this model.

Car_man
    Host
    I'm glad that you find it so helpful, rana535ix.

BMW Financial Services current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 X5 35i Premium with 15,000 miles per year are .00195 and 59%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a Sports Activity are .00195 and 58%.

BMW is not currently providing any cash incentives on this truck.

Car_man
    Host
    Good info, except it's NOT a truck.
  • alxjoyalxjoy Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2012
    If it helps anyone I just leased an X5 3.5 premium $60,900 msrp with cold weather, convienence, and sat radio

0 down

12k miles

36 months

801 a month includes tax

FYI gave back my 2009 leased Cayenne for this and am very happy!

How did I do?
  • alexkoperalexkoper Member Posts: 25
    Car_man,

Are the MFs and residuals the same for the x5 35d diesel?
    I just ordered one and it should be here this month. Do you know what they are for 15k mi/year? Do you know if you lease, do you have to use the Eco credit as a cap cost reduction?
    Hi Car_Man,

I have been told that I can place an order for a 2013 BMW X5 at this time. Since I still want to lease the vehicle, I would like to know what the money factor and residual would be for a 2013 BMW X5 35i Premium lease with 36 months and 12,000 miles per year. Thanks, again!
  • gigisfgigisf Member Posts: 4
    Hi Carman,
    We are going to lease two cars one 2013 X5 diesel and one 328i Sport line for 36 months at 10,000 miles per year. We got the following offer from from a local dealer. Is this a good deal? If not, could you give us some pointers what would make it good? Thank you sooooo much for your assistance. We need to make a decision over the next couple of days.

1st car - Custom order, it will be a 2013 X5 diesel with premium package and BMW Apps.
    MSRP is showing $61,345, there is a $2500 eco credit and the dealer says the invoice is $56740 and that he will sell the car to us $1000 over invoice minus the $2500 eco credit, which comes to $55,240.

Here is the breakdown of the 36 months at 10,000 miles per year lease:
    MSRP $61,345
    Residual =59%
    Lease end value = $36,193.55
    Initial cap cost = $55,240
    Total sales tax = $2,268.47 (8.25% tax rate)
    Bank fee = $925
    Adjusted cap cost = $56,165
    Money factor = 0.0025
    Monthly use tax = $62.91
    Base monthly rental = $762.57
    Total monthly payment = $825.48
    Document fees = $45
    License fees for 1year = $464
    Driveoff = $1,338.19

2nd car - Arriving end of march it will be a 328i Sport line premium package, premium sound package, technology package, xenon headlights, heated front seats, BMW Assist and BMW Apps.
    MSRP is $48,245 and the dealer says the invoice is $44,915 and that he will sell the car to us $500 over invoice , which comes to $45,415.

Here is the breakdown of the 36 months at 10,000 miles per year lease:
    MSRP $48,245
    Residual =65%
    Lease end value = $31,359.25
    Initial cap cost = $45,415
    Total sales tax = $1781.75 (8.25% tax rate)
    Bank fee = $925
    Adjusted cap cost = $46,340
    Money factor = 0.0035
    Monthly use tax = $49.39
    Base monthly rental = $598.72
    Total monthly payment = $648.11
    Document fees = $45
    License fees for 1year = 393
    Driveoff = $1,089.82
  • jen4bmwjen4bmw Member Posts: 1
    Hello Car_Man!
    I received this email from a dealer today and wanted to get your expert advice on the numbers he provided me.
    "On the X-5D the payments are 36 month @ $840.00 and that is with 1st month and fees down which total to $1,374.00. and that is 15,000 miles per year. That's on an X-5 BMW 35D, JET BLACK, OYSTER NEVADA LEATHER, TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE, PREMIUM PACKAGE, BMW APPS. + DESTINATION AND HANDLING WHICH = $63,045.00"
    He said that they would sell me the car for $57,499. Including the $2,500 Eco credit.
    Another question is, if I did order this car, do you think I could get the 2013 model for the same deal or better?
    Thank you for your time!!
  • gatr7gatr7 Member Posts: 1
    What are the MF and residuals for X5 xdrive50, 36 months, 15,000 miles and MF and residual for X5M, same months and miles?

Thank You
    Dear Car_Man,

Thank you for your time. I realized I forgot to thank you in my earlier message. I look forward to hearing your opinion about the X5d and 328i lease.
    Have a great day!
    edited March 2012
    Abmwfan, in its monthly sales report BMW places the X5 in its "light truck" category:

BMW Group U.S. February Sales Increase 31.5%

This is all semantics anyhow given how blurred the line between cars and trucks has become.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi alexkoper. BMW Financial Services' March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 X5 xDrive35d with 12,000 miles per year are .00185 and 58%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The residual value for a lease with 15,000 miles per year would be 2% lower.

What else would you do with the Eco Credit if you didn't use it as a cap cost reduction? Use it to reduce the amount that's due at lease signing?

Car_man
    Host
    You're in luck nd_irish, BMW has published a lease program for the 2013 X5. BMW Financial Services' March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 X5 35i Premium with 12,000 miles per year are .00195 and 61%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi gigisf. The money factor that you were quoted for the 2013 X5 looks a little high. I haven't seen the exact factor for the diesel yet, but the buy rate for all other 203 X5 models is currently .00195 for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Having said that, the selling price that you were quoted for this truck looks pretty good, specially considering it's not even available yet.

HA, the money factor that you were quoted for the 328i Sedan makes the aforementioned X5 factor look good. The dealer is marking this one up a ton. BMW FS' March buy rate for a 36-month lease of a 2012 328i Sedan is only .00195. The selling price of this car looks great though.

The good news is that doc fees that you are being charged are really low, which is good because they are basically fluff. The bad news is that the dealer is marking up your car's acquisition fees by $200.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello jen4bmw. The selling price that you were quoted for this truck appears to be a little over $2,000 over invoice. That's not bad, but you might be able to squeeze a little more out of this deal by shopping around. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do this deal on a 2013 model, but you'd have to shop around to find out for certain whether that was possible.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi gatr7. BMW Financial Services' March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 X5 xDrive50 with 15,000 miles per year are .00195 and 61%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2012 X5 M are .00195 and 54%.

Car_man
    Host
    Thank you, Car_man. I checked and the 2013 diesel does not come out till later in the year, so the car the dealer quoted is the 2012 X5 diesel. Do you by any chance have the residual and money factor for that?

Thanks so much for your help. I love this forum and find your answers very helpful.
  • tally92tally92 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    Help! I am trying to lease a 2012 X5 diesel. MSRP is $61,645 with Premium Package, BMW Aps, Running Boards, and destination $895. My first question is what should I be paying to purchase this X5? I have been quoted a residual of .59 and a money factor of .00185 and .00225 for a lease. I know there is a Eco credit of $2500, should the dealer include this in their discount? Thanks
    You're very welcome gigisf. I guess that's why I couldn't find any info on the '12 diesel :).

BMW Financial Services' March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 X5 diesel with 15,000 miles per year are .00185 and 56%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi tally92. If I was in the market for an X5 diesel right now, I personally would shoot for a selling price that's as close to dealer invoice as possible. Depending upon the level of competition in your area, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get a several thousand dollar dealer discount on top of the $2,500 Eco credit.

The .00185 money factor that you mentioned is correct. The .00225 factor is likely being marked up.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Car_Man,

Thank you for the 2013 lease information. Is it typical for the residual to be the same for both the 2012 model and 2013 model? I seem to recall Mercedes had slightly better residuals if you went with the newer model year. Also, do you know if invoice pricing for the 2013 BMW X5 is available? I was able to locate list pricing only and want to ensure I am getting the best deal. Thanks, again!
    You're welcome nd_irish. You're right, typically newer model year vehicles do have higher residual values than the previous model year's vehicles have. BMW's residual values are a little funny though because it artificially inflates them in an effort to keep its payments down. It seems as though BMW is providing more residual value support to help unload its leftover vehicles and less on its newer offerings.

Edmunds.com does not appear to have the pricing for '13 X5s yet. It will probably be available soon though.

Car_man
    Host
  • drdr3drdr3 Member Posts: 3
    Do you have the lease numbers for a 2013 X6 35i?

I read that the 12k residual dropped to 59% (12' was at 62% right?)

3 points is significant. I hope this info. I read was not accurate. The X5 35i sport typically has a lower residual than its X6 counterpart...?

Thanks,
    David
  • bwhitbwhit Member Posts: 1
    Hi: Relatively new to BMW. I am interested in purchasing a used X5 for the model year 2007 to current. Are there any significant changes along the model years or options that are strongly recommended? My last BMW was a '78 320i (>300k miles!) Thanks...
    Hi David. Through April 2nd, BMW Financial Services' buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 X6 35i with 12,000 miles per year are .00195 and 62%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers. So what you read about the residual dropping was not correct.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi bwhit. This particular discussion is for questions about leasing a new X5. You probably have better luck finding out information on previous model years of this truck by visiting the BMW X3 & X5 section of the forums.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Car_man,

I would like to know what the April 2012 money factor and residual would be for both a 2012 and 2013 BMW X5 35i Premium lease with 36 months and 12,000 miles per year. Thanks, again!
This discussion has been closed.