Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Lease Questions

Comments

• cgs1238cgs1238 Member Posts: 11
    I haven't seen much talk about the 9-3 Aero Convertible. I am debating between this car or the BMW 530. I am also debating between the manual and automatic. I live in South Florida and traffic can get pretty bad.

Any feedback/experience with a 2006 lease on the Aero Convertible? I would need 15k miles per year and would prefer a 24 month lease.

With no money down, what should I expect to pay each month?

Lastly, did I read that Saab includes routine maintence with its lease?

Thanks
  • redaeroredaero Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car_man,
    You are a tremendous help for us. Would you know the residual value for 27-month, 15K/yr, lease for the 9-3T. Thanks.
  • cptabcptab Member Posts: 6
    Whoaa...the lease is now available on military pricing??? I've been inquring
    about this for MONTHS and have been getting the run around from local saab
    dealers and Saab USA. I even wrote a long letter and submitted it to saab at one
    of the local car shows and was promised a response. Never heard anything.
    Although I've lost confidence in my dealer, I'm still interested in the car. Can
    you tell me where you got it or how you worked the deal? I would have purchased
    months ago had this all worked out. Thanks for your info!

--Very frustrated in VA,
    Adam
  • jworthingtonjworthington Member Posts: 42
    Adam,
    Like I said in some earlier postings, I had to ask a few dealers. However, David O'Neal Saab in Raleigh had no issue offering me the military price on the lease. I didn't really have to work the deal at all. I went in there to buy a car and we go the military price; really no whiggle room because of the discount. After that, I asked about the lease and that is what they drew up.
    GMAC didn't bat an eye. The finance manager didn't bat an eye. No issue from anyone.
    Now, I have NEVER paid state property or highway use tax on a car I owned because I have never been stationed in my state of residence. I just found out that with the lease, I have no such benefit since GMAC "technically" owns the car and I am just renting. They don't get the benefit so they don't pass the savings on to me. Oh well.

Jeff
  • rfthomasrfthomas Member Posts: 5
    Adam,

Similar to Jeff, my dealer (McCann SAAB in Seattle) didn't have an issue with military pricing on lease, I still had to wrangle a bit with them regarding residual values which made a huge difference in my monthly. Also, there may be GMAC cash in a lease, approx 1000$ but I was told it was unavailable with the military discount price. See my earlier post for details on my lease.

Roy
  • cptabcptab Member Posts: 6
    Thanks. Since I live in VA, I'll check again w/ one of the local dealers. Maybe they are not interested in doing it since they don't get much out of the deal (well, they do get to move their cars which is important). Were the leases through GMAC via Saab? Very interesting indeed. Heck, if worse comes to worse, I'll just go around to various places and see if anyone wants to work it out or blow me off. I'm considering many other cars so either way I'll be happy in the end. Thanks again.
  • cgs1238cgs1238 Member Posts: 11
    I haven't seen much talk about the 9-3 Aero Convertible. I am debating between this car or the BMW 530. I am also debating between the manual and automatic. I live in South Florida and traffic can get pretty bad.

Any feedback/experience with a 2006 lease on the Aero Convertible? I would need 15k miles per year and would prefer a 24 month lease.

With no money down, what should I expect to pay each month?

Lastly, did I read that Saab includes routine maintence with its lease?

Thanks
  • jworthingtonjworthington Member Posts: 42
    The lease, initially, was to be through Saab Finance but as we were doing the paperwork, voila, no more Saab Finance. The paperwork is now through GMAC.

I, too, was looking at other vehicles. Quite honestly, if the Acura TL would have a military price I would have easily chosen that vehicle over the Saab. In the end, $4k is $4k. Sorry, Acura.

One thing I did NOT know about a lease was my requirement to pay the state property tax on the vehicle. Military exemptions to that tax (if you are not stationed in the state of legal residence) do not apply because we don't "officially" own the car. I forget if I mentioned this in an eariler post, but I wish I had known that first. $648 over the two year lease.

Jeff
  • dan6681dan6681 Member Posts: 3
    "Saab is providing $1,000 lease cash on this model in certain states"

Is New Hampshire one of those states?

I am trying to get info on leasing a 06 2.0T base model MSRP $26620. By reading past post I have found that I am looking for a money factor of .00164 and an RV of 70%(24 month).

Are there any other incentives I should know about?

At the end of last month my local dealer listed a $299/27month w/ 10k/yr zero down for a base 93 2.0T (I need 15k/yr though). Now they have the same car listed for $24634 (including all discounts and incentives) Any Advice?
  • carpet321carpet321 Member Posts: 8
    Is california also included in the $1000 lease cash ?
  • madmanager1madmanager1 Member Posts: 5
    Car_man,
    Can you please tell me the MF and RV for the following scenarios: Both are 12K/year leases:

24/27 month
    36 month
    I'm getting a quote for a money factor of 6.84 (.00285) and this seems high. I'm also being quoted RV of 73%(24/27month) 64%(36 month) but with the high MF, the payments are almost $600. Also, are there any cash incentives this month for the convertible?

MSRP = 41565
    sell = 40004
    due at signing = 1975 incl 1st payment and taxes and tags. No sec dep or acq. fee or cap cost reduction. Payment comes out to 575 incl PA taxes (10% of payment). How does this sound to you?

Thanks for your help. Trading a 2004 BMW 325Ci end of lease.
  • nukezdocnukezdoc Member Posts: 2
    Hey, Car_Man! I'm looking to lease a '06 9-3 Sedan 2.0T. What is the MF/APR for the month of March, the 36month residual and the true dealer cost for St. Louis, Missouri?

The lease would be for 36m/10k; here is the breakdown of what I'm looking for:

(MRSP/Invoice)
    -Base Car 25900/24424
    -Metallic PAint: 550/495
    -Premium Pkg: 1895/1706
    -Sunroof: 1200/1080
    -Cold weather Pkg: 550/495
    -Destination: 720/720
    -TOTAL MSRP=30815 / TOTAL INVOICE=28920

Thanks for your help!
  • stillflat4stillflat4 Member Posts: 2
    Mr. Car_Man, could you help me with a couple questions?

I was told a while ago that auto finance companies such as GMAC and SFSC no longer offer "leases" in NY. Is this correct? I am currently in a "smart buy" with a 9-2X and am looking to lease the following if I can in NY. Could you help me with residual value & money factor on the following? Thanks in advance!

The lease would be for 36m/12k for the following:

- Base Car: 26900/25367
    - Premium Pkg: 1895/1706
    - Sunroof: 1200/1080
    - Cold weather Pkg: 550/495
    - Destination: 720/720

-TOTAL MSRP=31265/29368
  • mikeg444mikeg444 Member Posts: 17
    I know this is the 9-3 Forum but I am interested in leasing a 9-2x and did not have any luck with the 9-2x Lease Forum.

Can someone give me an idea of current lease offers on the 9-2x? Any idea what the RV and IR numbers are?

Last question, on any lease is the RV based on MSRP or negotiated price?
  • big_mikebig_mike Member Posts: 5
    Trying to get an honest handle on this. Looking at 12,000 or 13,200 mile lease @ 27 or 36 months. Can someone provide the latest residual value for those periods?

Also what's an acceptable APR for someone with very good credit? I've been quoted anywhere from 4.2 to 4.5%

Thanks in advance for your help.

Big Mike
  • carpet321carpet321 Member Posts: 8
    The residual for 27 month 10K/year lease is 70% (at least that's what I was quoted). Residual should be 68% for 12K/year, or 67% for 15K/year.
    The APR is around 4.5%. Only problem is that there aren't too many incentives right now, so I'm not sure if you can get the car for less than invoice.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    You're in luck, dan6681. New Hampshire is one of the states that Saab is providing an additional $1,000 lease cash on the '06 9-3 in right now. Saab is also providing an additional $500 cash bonus on models '06 9-3 models that have been in dealer inventory since mid-December and $500 loyalty cash to current owners or lessees.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
    Hi carpet321. Unfortunately, California is not one of the states that the additional $1,000 lease cash is available in. It is mainly available in the Northeastern United States.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi madmanager1. Saab just isn't providing much lease support on 9-3 Convertibles right now. If you were to lease a 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T Convertible through Saab Financial Services Corp. right now for 24 months with 12,000 miles per year, its base lease rate and residual value should be 6.34% and 74%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease should be 6.34% and 64%. Saab recently switched from using money factors to using lease rates. You can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400. As you can see, these numbers are a little different than the one that you were quoted. Make sure to find out why. As far as cash incentives go, the only one that I am aware of on this car is $500 on models that have been in dealer inventory since mid-December.

A base '06 9-3 2.0T Convertible only has a spread of $1,950 between its full MSRP and dealer invoice price. You are being given over a $1,500 discount on this car, which is pretty good even if it qualifies for the additional $500 incentive. Using these numbers and the aforementioned lease program, I estimate that this car should have a zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of around $549.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey nukezdoc. If you were to lease a Saab 9-3 2.0T Sedan through Saab Financial Services Corp. right now for 36 months with 10,000 miles per year, its base lease rate and residual value should be 3.94% and 61%, respectively. Saab is currently providing a $500 cash incentive on models that have been in dealer inventory since mid-December. Let's assume that the car you are interested in qualifies for this incentive and that as a result you were able to lease it at dealer invoice. According to my calculations, the 36 month, 10,000 mile per year, zero down, pre-tax lease payment for an '06 Saab 903 2.0T Sedan with an MSRP of $30,815 and a selling price of $28,920 should be around $360.

Car_man
    Host
    I'd be happy to help you out, stillflat4. Because of the vicarious liability laws that used to exist in New York a number of banks quit leasing vehicles there. Most offered balloon notes instead of leases to NY residents. Fortunately, this ridiculous law was recently changed and a number of banks have started leasing in your state again. I suspect that Saab Financial Services Corp. leases vehicles in NY again, but I don't know that for certain.

If you were to lease a 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T SportCombi through Saab Financial Services Corp. right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its base lease rate and residual value should be 3.94% and 59%, respectively. As you can see SFSC recently switched from using money factors to lease rates. You can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400.

Car_man
    Host
    what the heck is this? I have it in my offer fromt he dealer and it is 595 bucks. thanks for the reply.

Big Mike
  • drigordrigor Member Posts: 1
    Car_man,
    I am looking at a 2006 Saab 2.0L convertible lease, turning in a Saab 2002 convertible with 2 payments of $552 plus a disposition fee of $350 (total $1454). Apparently I just missed the "turn in waive deal", but here in West Palm Beach, FL they are offering:
    "27 month, 12K mile per year lease on the 9-3. Pament STILL at 579 plus tax.
    Convertible with Automatic and Premium.
    $2250 total out of pocket AND we will take care of your last two lease payments and disposition fee."

The internet sales guy then says "for anything better, he'll need the leverage of having me in the showroom"

How much more do you think they can wiggle?

DrIgor
  • saablcpsaablcp Member Posts: 195
    It's a fairly standard charge by the leasing source for processing fees.If you get a copy of any major city Sunday paper and check the lease ads in the auto section you'll see that every lease disclosure of charges includes an acquisition fee.Saabs at $595 is actually in the low range,BMW charges $895,Mercedes Benz $795.Fair or not...generally unavoidable.You can pay it as a part of your monthly payment rather than an upfront fee if you ask your dealer to put it into the capitalized cost of the car. Look at it this way... if you refinance your house with the bank ,agreeing to pay them ten's of thousands of dollars in interest over the next however many years ,why should they charge you "points"or" closing costs" to do the paperwork?Bank acquisition fee's are a variation on the same theme.
    You are being major league B.S.ed by the dealer!The "Pull Ahead" program ended March 15th.The only way to take a Saab customer out of their lease early now is to roll your two payments into your new lease.As for the disposition fee Saab AUTOMATICALLY waives the $350 disposition fee for any and all returning Saab lease customers...your dealer is not offering you anything you wouldn't get from any Saab dealer.On a 27 month lease those 2 payments of $552 are raising your new payment by App.$45 per month for the life of your lease.Here's the question you need to ask..if Saab is no longer Forgiving your last 2 payments...where'd they go?Who IS paying them?The answer is YOU ARE! I suggest you find a dealer in your area who is a little more straight forward in their business practices and doesn't try to make you think you are getting something for nothing...which you most assuredly are not!
    Regional $1,000 lease incentive ended 03/15/06.Only cash subsidy on 9-3 leasing is $500 on vehicles invoiced to yhe dealer prior to 12/15/05.There is $2000 available in addition on purchases only.
    Ya, hopefully this will be on again in April and/or May for the sedans. When do the 2007's come out, I think I heard July? Any changes for the new model year.
  • beal06beal06 Member Posts: 5
    I am interested in buying a 9-3 06 2t. Does anyone know when they will come out with the 07?
  • 308gtsi308gtsi Member Posts: 4
    FYI - Just signed on a 27 Mths lease (15K Miles/Yr.) for a 2006 9-3(Manual) with Moonroof and Heated Seats. MSRP $28,920.
    Monthly Pmt: $350
    Money Upfront: $1,840 ($840 came from my trade-in)

Not bad in my opinion as Volkswagen was offering me a 24Mths lease on 2006 Jetta (Manual, no Options) for $352 with $1,000. (No leather, no climate control, no free maintenance). Big thing was the residual difference (69% for Saab VS 62% for VW).

Hope this helps someone.
    Sounds good enjoy your new car. What did you get for a money factor/interest rate?
  • 308gtsi308gtsi Member Posts: 4
    The interest rate given was 4.9% or a money factor of .00204 (I think I did this right, 4.9% divided by 2400).
  • saabitesaabite Member Posts: 3
    I'm very interested in leasing a 9-3, but I've never leased a car before - could I get some opinions on whether the dealer is giving me a good deal?

Lease term - 27 mo., 12K mi./year
    Automatic, metallic paint
    Moonroof
    No other packages
    MSRP = $29,720.

My dealer is offering the following: finance rate = 4.94 with RV of around 70%.
    This means: $3,500 drive-off and $319/mo., plus taxes.

Any comments? Thanks.
  • sofakingcoolsofakingcool Member Posts: 15
    Carman,

I am looking for the MF and residual for the Saab 9-3 2.0t and the 9-3 Aero for a 27 mnth, 15000 mi/yr lease and a 36 mnth, 15000 mi/yr lease. Any lease incentives for dealers in the Los Angeles area? Thanks in advance.

-Sofaking
    I got 4.4% financing on my lease so seems like you could do better there. My drive off on a the same car in manual was 1,200. The price seems way high, too. I'm not an authority, but I'd say talk to some other dealers. And tell them you only want to put down 1 thousand bucks. Why would you want to put down so much? Did you look and see what the TMV is on Edmunds? You mention MSRP but what is your sale price that the lease is based on? Edmunds has it @ 28,938 for my area.
    thanks for the tips, big_mike. the tmv on edmunds is also 28,938 for my area (southern california). so you think it's ok to offer to put down only $1K, with payments of around $320 plus tax a month?
    I would offer that and see if they go for it. I got away with putting down 1,200 on a similiar vehicle. Of course, that'll change your payments but why give them more up front if you don't have to.
    Hi Big Mike. All banks that lease vehicles to consumers charge an acquisition fee. Saab Financial Services Corp.'s current base lease acquisition fee is $595. It charges this fee on every vehicle that it leases and individual dealers do not have the authority to waive it.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi DrIgor. If you haven't leased yet, you're in luck. General Motors reintroduced its early lease termination program this month. Current GMAC and Saab Financial Services Corp. lessees are currently allowed to get out of their leases up to four months early if they purchase or lease a new GM or Saab product. This program will save you some money if you want to get out of your current car before the scheduled end of your lease.

As far as this specific lease goes, you never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the car that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing this car's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what these numbers are.

Car_man
    Host
    Welcome saabite. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

As far as the specific lease that you mentioned goes, you never mentioned the selling price of the car that you are interested in. This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the car that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of a vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what the selling price is.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Sofaking. According to the latest information that I have seen, if you were to lease a 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T Sedan through Saab Financial Services Corp. right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its base lease rate and residual value should be 3.94% and 58%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2006 9-3 Aero Sedan should be 3.94% and 54%. I have not seen Saab's 27 month lease program for either of these cars. As you can see, SFSC recently switched from using money factors to using lease rates. You can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400. Saab is not currently providing any cash incentives on leases of either of these cars.

Car_man
    Host
  • saabconvertsaabconvert Member Posts: 1
    Any help would be appreciated: I want to lease a Saab Convert w/ Premium package. What (including rate factor) should I be paying a month for the 27 month deal with $1000 down....These leases confuse me.....Thank to anyone who can help. My first dealer offered $534 on a non-premium packaged car...I think that is high.
    Thanks for the links, car_man. I skimmed them just now and will go over them more carefully this weekend.

I just asked my dealer what the selling price is, and he told me that it's $29,700. Any thoughts? Seems like he's not cutting me any slack. Again, anything would be very much appreciated.
  • eholtoneholton Member Posts: 1
    I recently got a quote for a Saab 9-3. MSRP $28920. Residual value $17352.

With no money down, how much should I be paying for a 36 month lease, 12k miles a year?
    saabite, you said you were in the L.A. area. Don't know who your dealer is but I dealt with a few of the dealerships in that area - I got the best all-around treatment at Saab of South Bay down in Manhattan Beach area. If that's not too far for you to go, try shooting them an email and see what they can do for you.
  • speedracergirlspeedracergirl Member Posts: 2
    HI, Im in NY and was wondering if someone could tell me what the current offers are on the base 9-3 and the aero sedans.

I am a current saab 9-3 lesee who would be turning in the lease early so I assume that would make me eligible for $500 loyalty but is there anything else? Someone told me something about NY Auto Show bonus cash to local dealers because of the Intl Auto show here in NYC???
  • nautikernautiker Member Posts: 32
    I see that the residual percentage for an '06 9-3 Aero 36mo/15k yr lease is 54%/money factor/rate of 3.94% (post 145)--On another post, someone was able to get close to a 70% residual value--why the difference in residuals? I am thinking it is based on the actual sales price (capitalized cost) of the vehicle. Is this right?? The post (2878 on "9-3" part of the forums) states that he was able to get the vehicle for about $29.7k w/ military discount.

Should I just shop around at different dealers to try and get this pricing?? ( I do have access to GM employee pricing)--I'm curious how they figure out the residual value ... :confuse:
  • speedracergirlspeedracergirl Member Posts: 2
    I spoke with a SAAB rep today who informed me that the codes that ARE eligible for auto show cash are:

Now can someone tell me what those codes mean? Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,763
    344...base sedan
    354.. Aero sedan
    304.. not sure..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jump1234jump1234 Member Posts: 1
    Do you know the value of the Auto Show incentives?

Thanks
  • alicharalichar Member Posts: 1
    Dear Car_man:

I have been reading these posts and you seem to be so incredibly knowledgeable about the Saab 9-3. I am ready to lease the standard 2.0 model with no frills. The True Market Value in my area (Miami, FL) is $25,015. I would like to lease it for 36-months, 12,000 miles per year and put no money, or very little money (ie.$1000) down. What kind of a lease payment should I be looking at? Saab is currently running ads for a 27-month lease, 12,000 miles per year and want $3000 down, which is ridiculous. Any help or advice you might be able to give me would be GREATLY appreciated! I don't completely understand the formulas for figuring out lease prices! Thanks a million!
This discussion has been closed.