Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Lease Questions

Comments

• lasaablasaab Member Posts: 8
    Hi there Car_Man & Everyone:

Everyone here seems pretty knowledgeable about the 9-3 and I was wondering you could give me some advice on leasing this car since it will be my first car lease on my own.

I'm moving to Los Angeles in 3 days which is where I plan on leasing the vehicle, and I was wondering what the best deals are, what I should expect to pay per month, the financing rates, and residual values for a 24 month lease, with 12k miles per year.

I want to put down as little as possible up front and I also am not interested in the current 27 month lease promotion that they have on their website because when I worked out the numbers it didn't seem like a good deal.

I'm looking for the Saab 9-3 2.0T 4cyl turbo with automatic transmission- other than that I'm not looking for any other upgrades.

Also, when do the 2007 models come out-- will that make the prices on the 2006 models go down? Should I be getting a better deal since I plan on purchasing at the end of the month and during Memorial Day Weekend?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Ashley
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hello saabconvert. You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the car that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing this car's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to work up a sample lease payment on the car that you are interested in for you if you let me know what these numbers are.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
    Hi eholton. You never mentioned the selling price of the car that you are interested in leasing. This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the car that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of a vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to work up a sample lease payment on the car that you are interested in for you if you let me know what its selling price is.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi speedracergirl. The only cash incentive that is currently compatible with Saab's special lease program on the 2006 9-3 is the $500 owner loyalty cash that you mentioned. I would be happy to give you an idea of what this car's special lease program is like, however in order for me to do so I need you to tell me how long you want to lease it for and how many miles per year you need to be able to drive it.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello nautiker. Vehicles' residual values are set in stone and individual dealers do not have the authority to alter them. The only thing that will have an effect upon a vehicle's residual value is its mileage allowance. The fewer miles you are allowed to drive, the higher your vehicle's residual value will be. If you were to lease a 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero Sedan through Saab Financial Services Corp. right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be 3.94% and 54%, respectively. Vehicles' residuals are always based upon a percentage of their full MSRPs, including the destination charge and the MSRPs of any options that can be residualized. You obviously can shop around, but I doubt that you will be able to do better than the pricing that is available through General Motors' employee purchase program.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks alichar. In addition to its selling price, I also need you to provide me with this car's full MSRP (including destination) to calculate what its lease payment should be for you. On a somewhat related note, shoot for a price that is below TMV. Educated consumers who are in an area with a decent level of competition can almost always beat this number. It's not a bad idea to understand how lease payments are calculated before leasing a new vehicle. You may want to check out the following informative article that is available here at Edmunds.com: Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Ashley. The best way to get an attractive lease on a new vehicle is to negotiate as low a selling price as possible and then have the dealer that you are working with calculate its lease payment using its "buy rate" lease money factor. You may be able to get an idea of how much you should pay for this car right now by visiting the following discussion: "Saab 9-3 : Prices Paid & Buying Experience". Given the high level of competition amongst dealers in the Los angeles area, you should not have much trouble negotiating a price that is slightly over dealer invoice. Generally speaking, the prices of models gradually fall as the model year progresses. Given the fact that you already should be able to get the 9-3 for close to dealer invoice, I doubt its price will fall much further unless Saab introduced some additional cash incentives to help dealers unload their leftover models.

Car_man
    Host
  • apm4apm4 Member Posts: 4
    I am new to this form and have a couple questions. I am planning the lease of a 2006 Saab 9-3 turbo. As of now I have 14 months left on a Saturn lease at 242.00 a month (smartbuy).

The dealer offered 8,750 for the car (the buyout is 10,500)for my Saturn. I also have a GM in the driveway discount of 1,000 dollars. Therefore the deal as of now for the Saab 9-3 stands at: 3,000 dollars down and 369.00 a month for 27 months, 12k/yr. This includes all fees/taxes and the release of my Saturn contract. The first question, is this a good deal?

The next and more important question is this 2,000 "hidden incentive" spoken about in the previous postings. Is this offered in NY state and how should I go about gaining this incentive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • arlvahooarlvahoo Member Posts: 23
    I'm looking into leasing a 2006 9-3 and was wondering what the current "buy rate" money factor and residual values are. The car I'm looking at is a 9-3 2.0T with an MSRP of $29,720 and a quoted sales price of $26,196. I'm looking for a lease somewhere in the 36 month range, and mileage of 10k-12k per year.

The sales price I was quoted seems pretty good ($1860 under invoice?) so I'm assuming this must already include the $2000 incentive from the manufacturer.

Also, does Saab typically charge security deposit and acquisition fee up front? If so, what do those charges typically run?
  • nutley2375nutley2375 Member Posts: 1
    car man or anyone else:

can you please tell me the money factor and residuals for a lease of a 9-3 sportcombi 2.0t. this is for a 27 month lease w/ 10K miles.

thanks so much.
  • saabisaabi Member Posts: 1
    car man pls:

can you please tell me the money factor and residuals for a lease of a 9-3 aero sedan 2.0t
    MSRP 34,365 ( includes options but no detination charge ), Houston area.

1) a 39 month lease w/ 12K miles
    2) a 39 month lease w/ 15K miles

Dealer offers a demo with 1600 miles for US$ 3k less

They quote me 5.9% money rate and residual 17,182.50
    or 50.2 % ( 15K option )
  • johnnysaabjohnnysaab Member Posts: 8
    Do all dealers include the $2000 rebate?? Or do you have to ask for it. I'm looking at a Saab today and the ad states 309month with 1309 down. Is the rebate of 400 still good for college grads?
    I'll answer my own question from a few posts up, since it might help others as well.

I signed a lease deal on a new 2006 9-3 this weekend. Saab's current offers on the 27 month lease make it an attractive option. Payments actually ended up being less on a 27 mo. lease than on a 36 mo. lease.

For a 27 month, 12,000 mile/year lease, residual value is 70%, and interest rate is 3.94% (MF=.00164). If you want to waive the security deposit, you'll have to add half a point to that rate (4.44% or MF=.00185)

For a 36 mo/12k lease, the residual was 60%. Interest rate stays the same.

In addition to the security deposit, Saab requires an acquisition fee of $670.

When you throw in the $2000 incentive, it ends up being a very good deal. I had a few dealers tell me the $2000 was for purchase only and not for a lease, but the place I ended up leasing from included the 2k discount in the deal.
    Can I ask what your monthly payment is? I'm trying to get a saab for about 280mth.
    has anyone seen this $2000 incentive adverstised anywhere. I would like to have some proof when I go to the dealer!
    johnnysaab,
    $280/mo sounds like a long shot if you're looking for a new 2006. Even with a totally stripped model with NO options, you'd probably have to put down a down payment somewhere in the ballpark of $2000 to get your monthly payment in that range. And as I'm sure you've heard, it doesn't make sense to put any money down on a lease.
  • dmarianidmariani Member Posts: 3
    Is this offered everywhere??
    I'm looking at a car tonite. Is it publized??
  • dmarianidmariani Member Posts: 3
    did you get an answer to your question as to whether or not the $2000 is below invoice?
    Nothing as of yet.
    Even with the GM employee discount on a lease $280 is too low?
    I called 800-saabusa and they stated there is not an incentive for that amount.
    With my GM discount I'm getting a price of 27600 with taxes is this a good deal? Seems everyone else on here is getting 26,000

27600 dollars at 12,000/yr
    Hello apm4. The $2,000 dealer cash that Saab is currently providing on the 2006 9-3 Sedan is not compatible with its special lease program. However, Saab is providing $1,000 bonus cash on the '06 9-3 Aero Sedan that can be combined with its lease program.

It is difficult for me to tell you whether the lease that you were quoted is a good deal without knowing this car's MSRP and selling price. These numbers will show me how much of a discount you are being given and will enable me to use Saab's actual lease program to estimate what this car's monthly payment should be. Let me know and I'll tell you what I think.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
    Hi arlvahoo. Saab Financial Services Corp. no longer publishes money factors for the vehicles that it leases. Instead it now uses lease rates. Lease rates can be converted into approximate money factor equivalent by dividing them by 2400. If you were to lease a 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T Sedan through SFSC right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its base lease rate and residual value should be 3.94% and 60%, respectively. This 10,000 mile per year residual value for this term would be 2% higher.

$1,800 under dealer invoice is a very good price for this car. Keep in mind though that the $2,000 dealer cash that is currently available on it is not compatible with its special lease program. If the salesperson who quoted you this price didn't know that you want to lease you may not be able to get it.

SFSC charges both a security deposit and an acquisition fee on every vehicle that it leases. Your car's security deposit will be equivalent to its monthly payment rounded up to the nearest $25 increment. Its acquisition fee is currently $595 in most states. You should be able to roll your car's acquisition fee into its capitalized cost to make it part of your payment instead of paying it at signing if you want.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
    Thanks for the response, Car_man.
    I leased a new 9-3 last week, and I'm very happy with my deal.
    When I told them I wanted to lease, most dealers balked at including the $2000 incentive, but I still found one dealer who ended up quoting a cap cost for a lease of $1500 below invoice. That was too good to pass up.
    The 27 month lease looks like the way to go right now. Payments are actually lower than they would be on a 36 mo. Residual is set at 70% for a 27mo/12k mile lease.
    Paid nothing out of pocket and rolled in all taxes and fees.
    Hi nutley2375. The 2006' Saab 9-3 SportCombi 2.0T's base lease rate is currently 3.94%. As you can see, Saab Financial Services Corp. publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. You can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400. I haven't seen this model's 27 month, 10,000 mile per year residual value, but it is probably between its 24 month, 10K residual of 73% and its 30 month, 10K residual of 66%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
    Hi saabi. If you were to lease a 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero Sedan through Saab Financial Services Corp. right now for 36 months (I have not seen its current 39 month program) with 15,000 miles per year, its base lease rate and residual value should be 3.94% and 54%, respectively. Its 12,000 miles per year residual value for this term would be 2% higher. As you can see, SFSC publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. You can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400. When negotiating your lease on this car, keep in mind that Saab is currently providing $1,000 bonus cash on it. This incentive will help you to negotiate an attractive capitalized cost.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
    Hey johnnysaab. Dealers are out to make the most money that they can, as any of us would be in their situation. So they probably are not going to automatically deduct the $2,000 dealer cash that is available on the '06 9-3 from its purchase price. Make sure to take this cash into account if you are paying cash for or financing your car. Unfortunately, this dealer cash is not compatible with Saab's special lease program. So you will not be able to use it if you are going to lease.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
    By the way, johnnysaab. The $2,000 cash incentive that you are referring to is dealer cash. Dealer cash is provided by manufacturers directly to dealers to use as they please. They can use it to reduce the price of your vehicle, but they are not obligated to. Dealer cash is not usually advertised by automakers. Just make sure to take it into account when negotiating your car's price.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
  • saablcpsaablcp Member Posts: 195
    Dealers don't "balk" at including the $2K. rebate in the lease quote...the GMAC program expressly prohibits combining the dealer cash with the subsidized leases.If you found a dealer to truly cap the car $1,500 below invoice (IF you in fact did!!!)then they basically liquidated the car from inventory at a net loss of about $400,making it pointless to have even ordered it from Saab corporate.
  • rainesa1rainesa1 Member Posts: 3
    For a 9-3 sportcombi 2.0T and Aero, what are the money factors and residuals for 24, 27, and 36 month leases.

Thanks in advance.
  • mayurjshahmayurjshah Member Posts: 37
    arlvahoo,

hi, what were the terms of the deal you got? did u have a down payment/cash upfront? What was your monthly payment? thanks.
    MSRP $30,270
    Invoice $28,551
    Cap Cost $26,991

27 mo/12k mile lease.
    Residual 70%. 4.44% interest rate (could be 1/2 point less if you paid a security deposit, but I didn't want to pay anything up front.)

rolled tax (3%), tags, acquisition fee, and processing fee into the lease.

Bottom line was $380/mo with nothing due up front other than first month's payment.
  • as9004as9004 Member Posts: 1
    Hi - I leased an '06 Saab 9-3 in January 2006 under the 24-months/$299 per month lease program. I put down approximately $2900 and pay $360 per month for a car with an MSRP of $32,165. I saw this forum so I thought I'd first ask whether I got a decent deal or whether I got thoroughly ripped off. Second - I'm going overseas in a couple of months and wanted to what my best/only options were:

a) Give the car to my parents and have them continue leasing the car and potentially purchase it later (they'll definitely go over the 12,000 mile per year limit)?

b) Give the car back? or

c) Purchase the car? If I were to purchase, what price should I look for or offer? It has 5,000 miles on it so far.

Thanks for your help!
  • rws0131rws0131 Member Posts: 27
    Car_Man,

Do you happen to know the July numbers for the 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T Sedan - 27 month/15k Residual and Lease Rate? Did they change at all from June? Thanks.

Rob
  • firsttimer6firsttimer6 Member Posts: 1
    We live in NJ and went to the dealer today to inquire about a 9-3 lease. I listed the terms we were given below. Can anyone tell me if this seems reasonable. Is it typical to pay all taxes up front? Will the lease deals on 2006 models just keep getting better as they roll out the 2007 models or what timw of year is best to lease? Can anyone tell me which costs are negotiable. Thanks.

Residual 72 APR 3.94

Price- 29770
    rebate- 500
    Acquisitionfee- 695
    Taxes- 772
    Admin/Doc fee- 125
    Title/Reg- 262.50
    Security deposit- 350.00

Total due at signing w/ first mos. & security= 3395.52

Mos. payment= 330.52
    27 mos lease/ 10,000 miles
    Hi rainesa1. If you were to lease a 2006 Saab 9-3 Sportcombi 2.0T through Saab Financial Services Corp. right now for 24 months with 15,000 miles per year, its base lease rate and residual value should be 3.94% and 70%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease should be 3.94% and 57%. If you were to lease an '06 9-3 Sportcombi Aero through SFSC, its 24 month, 15k numbers should be 3.94% and 67% and its 36 month, 15k numbers should be 3.94% and 54%. As you can see SFSC now publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. You can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400. When negotiating your deal on this car, make sure to take the $1,000 bonus cash that Saab is currently providing on Aero and $500 that it is providing on 2.0T models into account.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • hollywood5150hollywood5150 Member Posts: 2
    Hey, I was looking at a 2006 9-3 2.0T on a 27mo/15K lease and they are hitting me somewhere around 9% from what I can figure. Can you tell me where I might find some published lease rates or where you are getting your info? Thanks..
    Hi as9004. It is difficult to say how good a deal you got on your car without knowing what its selling price was. This number will show how much of a discount you were given on it. As far as your options about what to do with your car when you go abroad go, your best bet is probably to have your parents drive it and make your payments for you. Giving your car back early is not an option. You can purchase your car, but that may be fairly expensive to do less than a year into your lease plus it will just sit around while you are in Europe unless you have it shipped over there.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hey Rob. Through July 18th, Saab was providing $500 bonus cash and a base lease rate of 3.94% on the 2006 9-3 2.0T Sedan. It is scheduled to introduce a new incentive program on this car today. Please feel free to check back with me in a day or two and I will gladly give you an idea of what its new program is like.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • araba3araba3 Member Posts: 16
    I'm no expert, but I got quoted a price of $368/mo (with taxes rolled in) for 27 months and 15,000 miles. It's a floor model, so that may make a slight difference, and $1700 down (first month, plus fees registration, security etc). btw, dealer just returned and dropped the monhtly to $339....So given that yr mileage is so low, you might be able to push a lower deal. but it looks good to me!
  • kmoskmos Member Posts: 5
    What is the lowest lease payment seen on the new Saab 9-3
  • victors01victors01 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Car_man,

I was wondering if you have any information on the new incentive program that started for the 2006 9-3 Aero this week.

Also, do you have the current lease rate and residual figures for 27 and 36 month/15k mile leases on this car.

Thanks
  • chainsaw2chainsaw2 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Kids,
    Does anyone know the current residual values and lease rates a 2006 9-3 2.0T 27 month 12k and 15K leases? I seem to keep hearing different numbers. I've heard everything from 68 to 72 percent on the Residuals and 3.19 - 4.94 on the Rates. Shouldn't these be standard across the board if it's through GMAC? Also, I wonder if Saab will be introducing even lower rates or better incentives to clear out the '06's since it's almost time for the 2007's to come out. Is it worth waiting?
    Thanks for any thoughts.
  • hollywood5150hollywood5150 Member Posts: 2
    Hey chainsaw2- I just leased a 2006 9-3 2.0t on a 27mo and 15k/year and the dealer gave me a residual rate of 63% and a interest rate was 6.9%. I'm not totally sold that this is the best available but it was the best I was given. Plus I called GMAC and they were useless, had no clue was I was trying to get out of them. Good luck....
  • hgershmanhgershman Member Posts: 15
    So, Car_man, what is the new program, if ya know? Thanks.
  • edmundhereedmundhere Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to lease a 2006 convertible, either the 2.0T or an Aero. Does anyone know what is being offered in terms of money factor and residuals? The dealer is telling me that 27 month leases are the best, but the money factor they are quoting is not good at all, so looking for anyone with recent experience on a convertible. Thanks!
    Hello victors01. Saab is currently providing $1,000 lease cash on 2006 9-3 Aero Sedan models. Saab Financial Services Corp.'s current base lease rate and residual value for a 27 month lease of this car with 15,000 miles per year are 3.94% and 66%, respectively. The lease rate would be the same for an otherwise identical 36 month lease, but the residual value would be 54%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi chainsaw2. Saab Financial Services Corp.'s current base lease rate and residual value for a 27 month, 12,000 mile per year lease of a 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T Sedan are 3.94% and 70%, respectively. The 15,000 mile per year residual value for this term is 69%. This car's residual values for leases through GMAC (which is what SFSC has essentially become) should be standard. Perhaps some of the people who have given you quotes are confused because 27 months is an odd term. This car's base lease rate is definitely 3.94%. This means that dealers cannot charge you less than this for this model. Dealers may be able to mark your car's lease rate up though to add additional hidden back-end profit to your deal. This sort of thing happens all the time, but it can usually be avoided by consumers who know what the base lease rate or money factor for their car should be. It is difficult to say what Saab's lease program for this car will be like when its current program expires on September 5th. Generally speaking though, vehicles' lease programs don't get a whole lot better this late in the model year. This is because vehicles' residual values gradually fall as the model year progresses. The lower a vehicles' residual values are, the higher its lease payment will be. So late in the model year it becomes very expensive for automakers to provide attractive lease payments on vehicles.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hey hgershman. Saab's current lease program on the '06 9-3 2.0T isn't that great. Its lease rate, 3.94%, isn't bad but Saab is not currently providing any cash incentives on leases of this car right now. It is providing $2,500 dealer cash on it. This dealer cash is not compatible with Saab's special lease program. You may want to consider financing this car through an independent bank and taking advantage of this lease cash or waiting until the 2007 model arrives to see if its lease program is any better.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
This discussion has been closed.