Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi edmundhere. Saab publishes lease rates for its vehicles instead of the money factors that most banks use. You can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400. Its current base lease rate and residual value for a 27 month lease of a 2006 9-3 2.0T Convertible with 15,000 miles per year are 6.34% and 72%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '06 9-3 Aero Convertible are 6.34% and 71%. You're right, this lease rate is not very good. The rate for all other terms is the same.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • radioative2006radioative2006 Member Posts: 15
    Here is the quote I got for 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T automatic with cold weather package. 7 spoke weels and Moon Roof
    MSRP $30960
    Selling price : $28560
    $0 Down
    $424/ Month Including taxes for 39 months Lease for 12000 Miles.
    Let me know if this is a good deal.

Thanks
  • redrumkevredrumkev Member Posts: 6
    I am looking at this offer:

http://www.suburbansaab.com/Specials-New.aspx

for the 9-3 2.0T Aero, which is $240 a month with $1999 down and saab loyalty. This is for GMS (employee discount) eligable people only.

My question: Is this a fair price for a lease. I have strong credit and do not want to put any money down, I was going to roll the $1999 and $1000 (loyalty) into the payment. So I figured the payment would be about $355 plus tax, is this correct?

Do anyone know how much money will be added each month by going from a 10k to 12k and from a 12k to 15k lease over 27 months?

Note: I spoke with the dealer. The $1999 down includes destination and first payment. So rolling hte $1999 plus the $1000 owner loyalty would be a "sign and drive" minus up-front costs (plate, title, etc).

I was also quoted miles at .20 a mile upfront. So 12K a year is 4000 miles over 27 months, or $800.

Thank you!
  • tglover1281tglover1281 Member Posts: 1
    I was told by my dealer that anyone can use the GMS discount as long as they receive a code from a GM employee. This is different from the past where you needed to be related to a GM employee, and this offer is unlimited. It doesn't cost the employee anything, but it saves me alot.

Does anyone have the ability to provide me with a GMS code?

Thanks for the help.
    I am getting this from my brother, who said that he only has a limited number and can only give them to family, including brothers/sisters, childern, parents and grandparents of the employee.

Sorry!

Kevin
    I am getting the code from my Friend, He is a very close friend of mine and not related to me or my family. they can get only two codes per month.My above numbers are for 0 Down all I am paying is first months payment and $305 for title registration. Just an update that I missed the premium package in the above list I posted. SO its all available options except the Navigation package. $425/ month Out of door. 0 Down. 12k miles per year and its 39 months lease
    I was able to visit a different dealer this evening and locked in on the deal I will be taking.

Aero 9-3 with Auto and Cold Weather Package:

MSRP $34,520

27 month 12,000/miles year lease for $369 a month (including tax, 6% in Michigan). Total due at signing is first month payment, $124.50 in taxes (on $2,000 rebate), title $23 and doc fee of $75. So $591.50 due.

Second option:

27 month 15,000/miles year lease for $381 a month (including tax, 6% in Michigan). Total due at signing is first month payment, $124.50 in taxes (on $2,000 rebate), title $23 and doc fee of $75. So $603.50 due.

Because I had another GM lease, I will not have to pay a security deposit.

The residuals were .67 on the 12k lease and .66 on the 15K lease with a 3.94 rate and $2000 back on Aero, plus the GMS (Employee pricing) discount. I think this is a great price for an almost $35K sedan.

Is there anything else that I am missing or should try to negotiate? I will be picking this vehicle up on Monday.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Those look like great deals...

If you have any doubts at all about how much mileage you need, grab the 15K allowance.. For $12/mo. it is cheap insurance against being over mileage..

Good luck,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

This looks like a great deal. I am in IL and difference is I have to pay 8% taxes on the selling price. which is probabely $32690, Which comes to about 2800 which addes about $70 to the monthly payments Plus I have the premium package which adds $21 per month. Over all I think I am getting a similar deal with the exception of the IL 8% taxes. That tax is what is killing me.
    Any one defers that..
    Hi redrumkev or any one who can answer the question. Can some one living in IL lease a car in Michigan and drive it back to IL, Obviously the deals are sweeter in Michigan than Chicago ? Any issues other than the tax...
    Radioactive

You only pay sales tax on your use.

So if your payment is $400 plus tax, you will pay $400 + 8% of that, which is $32 for a total payment of $432.

In Michigan, with 6% sales tax you would take the same $400 base payment and add the tax, which would be $24 for a total payment of $424, only saving you $8 dollars or 2% a month.

You do not pay tax on the entire purchase price of the vehcile, only what you use. So if you have a purchase price of $30,000 and lease it with a .67 res, then you are "using" approximately 33% of the car, or about $10,000. So with your tax rate of 8% you will pay about $800 over the term of the lease, where as I would only pay 6% or $600.

If you buy the car out of state, ie come to Michigan, you will not pay tax here, instead you will have to pay the taxes in your own state, at YOUR STATES RATE of 8%.

For my motorcycle, I went to Ohio to purchase it, I did not pay tax there on, but when I came back to Michigan to register it, I had to pay the sales tax here. The only way to get around the tax would be to have an address in a state with lower tax and have your bills sent there. But you ever get an accident or have any problems, they might find out and cuase you some problems. So the $8 a month more on a $400 month payment are not worth the effort or chance that something could go wrong with paying the "out of state tax game". Not to mention the gas/time you will burn to drive to Michigan to get the car!

Good luck
    Thanks redrunkev, I went in this week to pick up the saab 93.
    Here is the deal
    MSRP = $32500 (Auto, Premium, Sunroof, Cold weather packages)
    Selling price = $27100 ( Including the GM Employee discount and Dealer cash back of 2500)
    Residual = 59%
    12k per year
    Including tax $425 per month
    In Illinois the law is to pay taxes on the Selling price for all leases. I think this is the law for IL and TX.

Can any one confirm that I got the a decent deal ?
  • mikendebmikendeb Member Posts: 1
    Looking to lease a 2.6 conv...deal is 36 months 499.00 a month..nothing down..12,000 miles a year
    How does this look?
    It does include the prem. package
  • deallover05deallover05 Member Posts: 4
    NewB here.
    First time in my life trying to lease a car.
    Dealer quoted me a price for a demo car as follows.

Saab 9-3 2.0T
    Miles: 7500
    MSRP: $26800
    Rebate: $2500
    Price = $24300

12000 miles/Yr and 27 months term.
    Asking for $390 per month with $1800 (TTL + fees) as a down payment.

It sounds too much to me especially it has 7500 miles on it.
    He used 5.34% GM rate and about 66% residual.

They seem desparate is getting rid of thie car.
    What should be my good offer ( I want to put $0 down but he said in order to preserve interest rate I need to put down $800 atleast, I want 15000 miles/yr).

Any help here will be appreciated greatly.
    Thank you.
    :-)
  • noah2noah2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm also trying to lease a saab 9-3 aero. I have gotten quotes from $439 to $600. I saw a car advertised for $29,900 new. The dealer said for a lease they had to go off the msrp which is not true that I know of. The way I figure it is the car is $29900, the residual is $19,000 for a 36 month, wouldn't I be paying $10,000 over a three year period plus tax and interest? How are the dealers getting to these outrageous amounts with no money down? what am I doing wrong? Is the $3000 cash back good on a lease veichle? I live in Illinois so if someone got a lease deal with no money down in the $300's-$400's a month atfer now the employee pricing is over can you please tell me which dealship you bought it at?
    Patrick Saab , Please see my post for details, I think its above
  • noah2noah2 Member Posts: 2
    radioactive,
    How long did you lease for? You did not trade any cars or put any money down correct? What is the $ amount for you residual? How was your experience there, are they upfront right away?
  • brinks2brinks2 Member Posts: 6
    hi also looking in chicago area for 9-3. Does Patrick saab
    give the gsm to everyone and will they give me the 2500 off sticker? Do you recommend them?
    Hi,
    I need an urgent help here. Please reply soon, I will really appreciate it.

Lease: 2006 Saab 9-3 Auto with sunroof.
    MSRP: $28250
    Price: $24750
    TTL: ~$2000
    Total capitalized cost: $26750
    Term: 27 months
    Interest rate: 5.9%
    Residual value: $18085.40
    Down payment: $0

Payment: $435/month including 8.25% tax.

Can I do better?
    Please advise.

I read above by Car_man that the rate used by GMAC for 9-3 is 3.94%. My dealer is using 5.9%.

Thanks.
  • brinks2brinks2 Member Posts: 6
    bad deal! stay away
    IR s/b 3.94
    residual s/b .71 which is 20,057
    thte total cap cost s/b about 28250 less 1700 plus 2000
    which is about 28550, then plug in the numbers above
    which will get you a payment of about $395
    the 28250 less 1700 is invoice and what the cars are leasing
    at now or less. You should pay no more than 390 with nothing down, no money out the door.
    Hi brinks2,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I also got about 390 number when I plugged in 3.9% APR and residual value at 69% not 71% though.

Dealer seems desperate but I feel bad pushing it more.
    This is the first time I am leasing a car so just wanted to make sure that I get a good deal on 2006 model Saab.

Thanks.
    Hi mikendeb. You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the car that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing this car's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion on this deal if you let me know what these numbers are.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Welcome deallover05. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

One of the most important things to remember when leasing is that the selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. The only difference between negotiating the capitalized cost for a lease and the selling price for a vehicle that you intend to pay cash for may be in the incentives that are available on each type of transaction. The $2,500 dealer cash that you mentioned in your post is not available in conjunction with leases through Saab Financial Services Corp.

It appears as though you are not being given any sort of discount on the car that you are interested in. If this is the case, this is a TERRIBLE deal. You should be able to lease a Saab at pretty close if not right at dealer invoice without too much trouble if you are in an area that has a decent level of competition. And I am talking about a brand new Saab, not one that already has 7,500 miles on it. I personally would not lease a demo car with that many miles unless I could get it for substantially below dealer invoice.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    You are absolutely right, noah2. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. You definitely do not have to pay full MSRP to lease a new Saab 9-3. The only difference between paying cash for this car and leasing it is the $3,000 customer cash that is currently available on '06 9-3 Aero models is not compatible with leases through Saab Financial Services Corp. There is however $1,000 lease cash on this car that needs to be taken into account when negotiating its selling price. If you provide me with the full MSRP and dealer invoice price of the exact 9-3 that you are interested in, you can find this information by visiting the following section of this site: Edmunds.com - New Vehicle Pricing, I would be happy to tell you approximately how much this car would cost to lease right now.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi deallover05. I assume that you are talking about a 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T Sedan. If so, the selling price that you were quoted for this car looks very attractive to me. Having said this, I am not sure why you are being charged a 5.9% lease rate. Saab Financial Services' Corp.'s current base lease rate for the '06 9-3 2.0T Sedan is 3.94% with the payment of a security deposit at lease signing. Make sure that this lease rate is used to calculate your car's monthly payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • saablcpsaablcp Member Posts: 195
    In regard to questions about the A.P.R.on your lease deal..the dealer cannot mark the A.P.R.up more than 1 pt,max would be 4.94%..UNLESS there are credit issues which in the tier scheme of credit approvals would offer an otherwise turned down applicant an approval but with a 2 pt.higher A.P.R.This is strictly a G.M.A.C. call based on credit scoring and credit history.That would raise the rate from 3.94%to 5.94%...I would suspect that this is the reason.
  • chucky2chucky2 Member Posts: 8
    Carman, Can you tell me about how much a lease shold be on a Saab 9-3, 2006. The MSRP is 32,165 and Invoice is 30257. I am looking at a 3 year lease with 12K or 15K per year. Can you also tell me the MF and residual values for these calculations.
    Thanks!
  • tbaesltbaesl Member Posts: 1
    Can you give me an estimate for a 2-3 year lease on a new 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero Sedan. With the GM discount, 4000 bonus cash, and a $2000 demo discount and assuming a $33,000 msrp, the selling price would be $25,000. I believe that it would have to be leased not from GMAC but a private company. My calculations would put it round $275 per month.
  • pnypnchrpnypnchr Member Posts: 1
    Hello, Car man or anyone else.....

I'm looking at a 2 year lease and think the dealer can do much better. Was curious if anyone had any input??

- Car: 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T
    - MSRP+Options: 31,391.00
    - Residual Value: 21,031.97
    - Depreciation: 8,078.03
    - 15K miles a year is what I asked for but looking at the paperwork they based the deal on 12K...kind of slimy.

The dealer first quoted me 612.00 a month which I openly laughed at. Now they are quoting me 426.90 per month. Is this a good deal? I think a fair deal is 390.00 a month but I'm cheap so I have a slanted view on things I guess.
    Hi chucky2. Saab is no longer providing lease support on 2006 models. I would be happy to give you an idea of what the 2007 version of this car's lease program is like if you want. Let me know.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello tbaesl. Unfortunately, Saab is no longer providing lease support on 2006 models. You still may be able to lease this car through an independent bank if you want, but I don't know what the lease program for this car is like through any independent banks right now. If you want to lease, you may be better off going with a similar 2007 model and leasing through GMAC.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello pnypnchr. You never mentioned the selling price of the car that you are interested in leasing. This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the car that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of a vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what its selling price is. Either way $612 a month for a Saab 9-3 is ABSURD. Obviously, $427 a month is a lot more reasonable, but by quoting such an outrageous initial payment this dealer hasn't instilled a lot of confidence in my. Let me know what the selling price is and I'll tell you how good a deal this is.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • sidvsidv Member Posts: 64
    Just wanted to mention for anyone doing any comparison shopping that, as of last week, the lease rates my dealer was quoting on 27-39 month leases were 3.8% on the 9-3 Aero SC and 3.5% on the 9-5 2.3T SC(with good credit and a significant amount down). Residuals were at 56%/68% and 52%/66% for the 9-3 SC and 9-5 SC at 39 and 27 months, respectively.

Pnypnchr I would run to another Saab dealer, your first dealer lost all credibility at $612 a month, even with the brutal sales and lease taxes in the city of Chicago. There are plenty of Saab dealers in the area.
  • danb5danb5 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to close a deal on a 27 month lease on a 9-3 Aero w/msrp of $35,120 and a sales price of $32,306. The botttom line on the whole affair is $339 per month + tax with a total drive off of $3,000 (which includes cap reduction of $1582 + tax) Is this a good deal? Does anyone know of any better?

Also looking at a 9-3 2.0T with moonroof and auto for $339 per month and $1500 drive off --lets say that includes $100-200 of cap reduction. Whaddya think of those numbers?
    PS I do not have any special GM employee discount. Is there any dealer cash still floating around?

Dan
    Those numbers sound in line with what I was quoted recently. I do have the GM employee discount so mine were a bit better but these numbers don't raise any red flags to me. Not to say you might not be able to do better elsewhere, I found it pays to shop around even though in theory with the GM discount eligibility it should be one price anywhere.

There is no dealer cash out there to my knowledge on the 07s, which is what I assume you are talking about. I believe there is cash on 06s for purchase only-no longer being leased is what I was told. For comparison, the dealer I went with quoted 3.8% rate (APR equivalent of the money factor) with 68% Residual Value for 27 months (this quote was valid through end of Nov but I doubt things have changed much). The first dealer I contacted would only go 4.3% on the rate. I was shopping for a 9-3 Aero SportCombi so that might make a small difference vs. a sedan.
  • avguruavguru Member Posts: 6
    I have a family member that currently works for GM. I've been told that I can take advantage of the employee pricing. First, what procedures are necessary to take advantage of the program? Second, what kind of discount can I expect? The MSRP is about $38,165.00. I'm looking for a 24-36 month lease with no money down and this is in the Chicago market with a tax percentage of 7.5%. Do I got to the dealer, negotiate the price, and then tell them I have employee pricing? Or, do I let them know this up front? Please help.

Thanks for your help.
    Your family member needs to go online and get you a GM employee purchase number from the employee website. You cannot do this yourself unless your family member gives you access information to log onto the site.

You just tell them the employee pricing up front. You don't need your GM employee purchase number until you seal the deal. The discount gets you a little over 3K off of the base car plus around 20-25% off any options. Last I checked you were also eligible for another 1000 off as an incentive exclusive to GM employee discount eligible people, but I am not sure if that was continued into December. (I just bought a Saab in November with the discount and got the 1000).

Keep in mind that if you live in the city of Chicago, they impose an additional lease tax of something like 6% of your payments. Also keep in mind that under the insane Illinois laws you pay tax on the full purchase price of the car, even though you are only leasing it. (unlike some more fair states such as Michigan where you only pay taxes on the difference between the sale price and the residual value, which only makes sense).
    Thank you for the info. Is the $3000 off of the base invoice or base MSRP? I'm assuming it's off of invoice. Which Saab did you purchase? How do you like it?
    Also, I wasn't quite sure I understand you. Do I negotiate the price of the vehicle and then let them know that I have the employee pricing on top of that, or is the employee pricing already predetermined?
    Just tell them you are discount eligible up front. The discount is off of MSRP, not off of invoice. I am not sure if it's really much, if any, more off than a knowledgeable person could get off MSRP in some circumstances. But it's good regardless of time of year, supply, etc which negotiated discounts are not. Your family member can get you a PDF of all the pricing details from the website when they get your discount number for you.
  • saablcpsaablcp Member Posts: 195
    Witholding the fact that you are GMS eligible would be a total waste of your time as well as your sales rep.The General Motors price is roughly 4% below dealer invoice and is printed right on the invoice.Dealers CANNOT go below this price.They also MUST pass on to you all available dealer incentives and customer rebates.This is an audited program and any dealer who varies from it is in jeopardy of losing his participation.Bottom Line is ...there is no negotiation involved and you cannot conceivably do better price-wise
  • dazdbyitdazdbyit Member Posts: 2
    Well I was just quoted a lease rate of 495.00 including 6% sales tax, 27 months 15K/Yr for a 2007 with a MSRP of $35,120. and a sales price of $33,932. This sounds like you got a fare deal. Am I off?
  • sterkisterki Member Posts: 3
    I haven't done this before. Really appreciate your help. North suburbs of Chicago if that matters.

2007 Saab 9-3 Aero
    Metallic Paint
    Automatic Transmission
    Sunroof
    Front Heated Seats
    Touring Package
    MSRP - 36865
    Invoice 34902

The 9-3 2.0T
    Automatic Transmission
    Sunroof
    Cold Package
    Premium Package16
    MSRP - 32560
    Invoice - 30756

27 month lease
    12000 miles per year
    $2900 Down Payment
    *TAXES ARE ROLLED INTO PAYMENT*
    1.) 2.0T - 329/month
    2.) Aero - 479/month
    Those quotes seem a little high to me, you probably have a bit more room to negotiate. They are certainly not terrible so I wouldn't expect much more off I don't think. As long as your residual is about 66% and your rate in the mid threes I think you are getting a pretty standard deal. Also, you did not say what the negotiated price of the car was, if you can get that number you can compare to Emunds TMV or similar for another point of comparison.
    Thanks. I forgot to say that they would give us the invoice price.
    Invoice sounds reasonable to me. There is a 500 rebate in play as well for the 2.0T I think, but only for cars on the lot as of 10/31. Your dealer seems to be more or less in line with the standard Saab 27 mos lease 2.0T deal that Edmunds is showing for December.
    We're so close to the end of December, didn't know if anyone knows of a seasonal pattern. Thanks.
    Hi Dan. A base 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero has a spread of only $1,700 between its full MSRP and dealer invoice price. This isn't a whole lot of room for a dealer discount, so the discount of $2,800 that you were quoted looks pretty good to me. Just make sure that the dealer you are working with uses Saab's base lease rate of 4.25% to calculate this car's monthly payment and you're in business.

On a side note, it really is not in your best interest to make a $1,500 capitalized cost reduction on this car. Consumers can and should lease any vehicle that they are interested in without making any sort of cap cost reduction. the main reason that I say this is that if your leased vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered, any cap cost reduction that you made on it essentially disappears.

It would be easier for me to give you my opinion of the second deal that you mentioned if you would provide me with its MSRP and selling price.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Greetings sterki. When you say that you haven't done this before, I assume that you mean that you have never leased a vehicle before. If this is the case, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the 9-3s that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing what these cars' selling prices are in relation to their MSRPs you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on them. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of these deals if you let me know what these numbers are.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • jreddickjreddick Member Posts: 2
    What does it take to get premium financing or lease deals through saab? Does beacon score matter or it some proprietary in-house hocus-pocus?? Had a rough year last year and even though i am through it my credit is not :( , any thoughts on what I need to shoot for before I try to lease a new car??
This discussion has been closed.