Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata Real World MPG

Comments

• Options
    crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
    Guess we got lucky with our 2012 GLS. Highway MPG is outstanding at 33-36 MPG at 75-80 MPH. Dropping down to 65-70 up the MPG to 37 consistently on the highway only. ANY city driving drops the average dramatically. 22-24 MPG in all city, so that has areal impact. Surprising fact is that hte use of A/C has minimal effect on city and highway MPG whereas in the past 2-3 MPG on GM cars. We do inflate tires to 36# and have a garage located air compressor. I bought this one for gas savings and so far so good. I am laso retired but do drive the speed limit and lots of highway miles, so a good road car was what we wanted. My wife is very happy leaving her newer Lacrosse in the barn and wearing out the Hyunda- which is fine for me. We save 25-30% on gas with the Sonata and it is comfortable enough even without the heated leather and all the other upscale features. We feel lucky to have both since we keep cars 10+ years depending on durability and service.
  • Options
    Please post the model that you have when commenting on MPG experience. The GLS has 16" 65 series tires and the SE has larger/wider low profile tires that are for handling, looks, bigger wheels (looks again), fatter appearance (looks again). Sometimes the different setups make for different results in actual driving. we have found on another car we have that the low profile tires also cost 2 to 2 1/2 times as much as the old style, usually with a lower tread wear rating.
  • Options
    cpenycpeny Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2012
    I further agree. I am ok with my highway mpg, but the city mpg has been a real joke. I drive all the time and I sometimes compete for the best gas mileage with my brother in California. I can not get within 7 mpg of the stated mpg for my 2011 sonata gls. Why can't we get Hyundai to take responsibility for this. Why is it only the highway mpg, surely others feel the same.
  • Options
    tomjc2tomjc2 Member Posts: 3
    I also took my Sonata back to the dealer complaining about the mileage. They looked it over and said it was fine. They said I needed to compute the mileage rather than trusting the MPG the car reports (I do log all miles and gas) and that the car was still breaking in. Well months later it has over 4,900 miles and it still hasn't improved. Based on some of the previous comments it will start to drop off sometime in the future.

Does anyone have the details of the analysis that EPA did? I didn't find it with some searching. I'd like to see what data and results EPA got for the Sonata vs the Sonata Hybrid, Elantra and the rest. I just find it hard to believe the Sonata was OK. Perhaps they just evaluated the combined value which might mask the lousy city mileage with the relatively good highway mileage.
  • Options
    lantzberrylantzberry Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 and have 13,600 miles on it and the gas mileage does not get any better. They are still telling me at the dealership it's not broke in yet, which is a bunch of bull!! This is my 1st hyundai and my last. Very disappointed all the way round!
  • Options
    bpe383bpe383 Member Posts: 6
    Sorry to tell you but mine got worse. 46,000 miles later I was getting worse MPG than my 2002 maxima, which was loaded, and tons nicer/faster. I sold the car only getting 28MPG on the high way. I really think there needs to be a investigation int this issue as no one is getting the miles. I understand it's just an estimate, but how do you get an eat. that no I've read, or heard from has ever gotten. Hyundai needs to step up quick and make this right, or risk losing millions of customers.
  • Options
    jimsatexasjimsatexas Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2013 Sonata in June. It is NOT the turbo. It was rated at 25 mpg in the city and 35 on the highway. I haven't had it on a trip yet but will soon. I have about 3500 miles on the odometer. I am averaging about 22.5 mpg in the city and am not a hard driver and am not in much traffic. I live near an expressway so some of the miles are red-light, and stop sign free. I'm not seeing much difference whether I use ECO or not.

This is my second brand new Sonata. The first was a 2003 with a V-6 and in the past few years was getting 21 in town and about 28 on trips.

And I agree, Hyundai should have had this on the list as well.
  • Options
    Jim: We have ~11000 on our 2012 GLS. Same MPG in town as you are getting. Choosing route with intown xway ups the mileage to high 20's. Real upside is highway. Reset the trip computer and test it on the highway at diff. speeds. We get 33 @ 75+ and 37+ @ 65-70, so the car is speed sensitive. Also our MPG seems to be increasing at same speeds as it is broken in. so far, so good. Hybrid did not work for us with mostly highway miles and cost to buy and we prefer NOT the ultra small cars with 1.5-1.8L engines required to get ultra MPG. for teh size, service, cost vs. value and our needs we got the perfect car for oue needs. Good luck.
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I kind of thought my post was pretty non-threatening and thoughtfully written if I say so myself but it proves only one thing as far as I can tell by many of the replies and that is the old adage "you can't please all the people all the time" is absolutely true!!! I personally have a 2012 SE and while I admit we don't have a proper city or big city traffic the MPG readout consistanyly shows 24-26 MPG city/or in my case medium town driving and 34 highway. I consider that good and am not about to camp out at my dealer demanding a refund as many of you seem to want. i.e."The car is great EXCEPT we don't get the ADVERTISED fuel economy". "This is the last Hyundai product we will buy"." Hyundai should buy it back", "Can we instigate a lemon law claim?" etc. Simply buy a Volt, a Leaf, a Prius, a C-Max, a diesel Jetta or Golf, all noted for great overall fuel economy (and in the case of the Leaf no fuel used) and maybe just maybe the economy will be acceptable to you, but then again, maybe not.
  • Options
    larrys1352larrys1352 Member Posts: 11
    Another Sonata apologist. Whenever I post I get the same crap from Mr. Hyundai.
  • Options
    longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    I just read this post and wonder..what is the "advertized mpg" for a Sonata? I don't have a Hyundai but 34mpg's on the highway from a big sedan sounds pretty damn good to me.

(I can't get that from my Nissan Versa!)
  • Options
    I apologize for nothing, I am satisfied with my car, fuel ecomomy included. I simply tried to offer some reasonable explainations for differing fuel economy from the EPA, alternative driving styles to improve ones personal economy (if you are the type who drives like a moron at 80 mph passes everybody then slams on the brakes at the next traffic red, then starts over) and other things that I consider common sense. If something there touches a nerve oh well....I try, really try, to steer clear of these stupid "I don't get the ADVERTISED fuel economy" posts but every once in a while I get fed up with the idiocy and reluctantly reply. I'll try harder.
  • Options
    It is 24 city/35 highway per the EPA (mileage may vary according to your driving style and other variables), and you are right for a large relatively powerful sedan it is great...but apparently not good enough for some.
  • Options
    Actually I am 65, drive very conservatively, take great care of the car, no jack rabbit starts, stop slowly at red lights and focus on fuel economy. The MPG is over-rated and you are the moron.
  • Options
    Really strange that all the posted results vary so much by driver. 22-24 in city and 33-37 highway on our 2012 GLS is pretty close to EPA estimates and we don't have an EPA driving route so we are pleased. Car is also great in all other aspects - so far. Buyers remorse is common with all large purchases and negative views are generally more supercharged so maybe the world is not perfectly round after all.
  • Options
    My, my, don't take it personally bud. For the record I am far from a moron. To all, including you, since you chose to take that part of my post personally it was a generalization of that type of driver. Again, for you personally since you don't know me please do not call me a moron again.
  • Options
    Name calling - a new low - well at least it is the season - election season that is.
  • Options
    scottchadscottchad Member Posts: 2
    Hi, may name is Scott. You cant say you haven't meet some one who has gotten 35 mpg any longer. We took our 2013 sonata on a 2300 mile trip. I got 34 with out trying and 37.4 MPG when I kept the speed 65 to 75 mph. I wish the around town milage was better, but we get about 22 mpg. The car is amazingly fast and fun to drive. The Sonata will kill my Mustang 4 cylinder car even with 4 people in it. I'm very impressed with this car and NEVER thought I would buy one. It is also very roomy, comfortable and great looking. So far, this cars a 10. Only time will tell if I continue to feel this way. I felt this way about our Buick Rainier for 2 years, then it turned out to be a total POC. I am hoping this doesn't happen again!
  • Options
    dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    Hi Scott, Glad you like your Sonata. To answer why the Sonata wasn't included: The EPA tested it and found that it met the posted numbers. Most Sonatas (non-turbo autos) are rated 24mpg City and 35mpg Hwy running pure gasoline. The EPA confirmed these numbers to be correct.

By the way, are you sure your Mustang has a 4-cyl engine? Those haven't been built for 20 years.
  • Options
    scottchadscottchad Member Posts: 2
    Oops my bad, it has a 6 not a four, that makes it even worse!
  • Options
    tomjc2tomjc2 Member Posts: 3
    The range of in town mileage is interesting and surprisingly variable. If I did not have a reference point I might not have posted (I say I'm a gentle driver but how do I really know; I have 5-6 lights on way to work - how does that reflect the EPA model). But I do have a reference and that is what makes me wonder about my specific car. I drove a 6 cylinder, 12 year old Intrepid (a little heavier than the Sonata) with over 100K miles over the same route for years and was able to get about 19 mpg (its EPA rating was actually 18 mpg in town). The fact that the new Sonata, with a 4 cylinder engine gets about the same mpg totally surprised me. Where are the benefits of the new technology for in town driving (highway is totally different - I can get 34-35 on the Sonata and only got 24-6 on the Intrepid)?

Different drivers and different routes are clearly going to affect mpg. But there is quite a range here. Is there an issue with engine/car tuning?
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Namecalling is not only low, but it's a violation of our Membership Agreement and isn't permitted. Let's knock off the personal comments.
    (not aimed at you, crankeee, just responding to the last post in the string.)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    no offense taken. I attribute the childish behavior to the times. The recent election has illustrated some rather unsavory human characteristics. This board is VERY vluable in purchasing, servicing and operating any vehicle and saves invaluable time wasted by single user trial and error. Thanks.
  • Options
    sonata13losersonata13loser Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2012
    I am so disappointed in my 2013 Sonata. I was told to expect better mileage than I was getting on my old car--a 2005 Toyota Avalon (26 in city and 31 highway). The exact opposite has been true. I am averaging 18 in city and 26 mpg on a two-hour high way trip. My Sonata is only 14 weeks old. I feel like I was terribly misled and I believe something is wrong with the car to be getting such bad mpg. My mileage hasn't been this bad in decades, and then I was driving a big gas-guzzler! Where is the supposed improvement in technology for this auto? Unless Hyundai stands behind my complaint this will be my first and last Hyundai. There is a sucker born every minute . . . and I was the sucker 14 weeks ago!
  • Options
    I agree. I feel ripped off and that I was a victim of false advertising. I have driven for 50 years (Pontiacs, Chevys, Buicks and 5 Toyotas in a row) and have never had this kind of experience.

The gov't needs to act on this.
  • Options
    I couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    I would be delighted with that mileage. I suggest you try to read comments without prejudging and understand that there are far too many of us not getting anywhere near the numbers you mention. I have yet to see above 26 mpg in any situation! That is frightening when you have made a commitment to lease or purchase a such a large investment as a 2013 auto.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Did you reset the average mpg meter before the highway part of your trip, and take the reading when leaving the highway? You gave both a city and highway number for your 2-hour "highway" trip, so just wondering. 26 mpg while cruising on the highway is very low. With a recent 2013 Sonata rental, I got better than that just with around-town driving.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    We have a two very different autos. 2010 Lacrosse CXL and 2012 Sonata GLS. Wife's Buick has most options available, leather,small V-6, 18" wheels with low profile tires. Beautiful quiet car with 18-20 mpg in city and 28-30 highway - car weighs ~4000 pounds and rides like a limo.
    The Buick was $12M more than the Hyundai MSRP and much more with newer models.
    The Sonata has an MSRP in low $20's and weighs in at 3200#,16" standard tires,no leather or glitz but most modern options with adequate I-4 engine ( fairly noisy but good power match with car) and 20-24 in city(wide variation depending upon conditions) and 33-37 on highway depending on speed (not A/C, load, conditions). Great highway car with more noise-wind & engine - good visibility and outstanding MPG so it is the road car choice with high gas cost.
    Point is; We are the same drivers for both cars but they are very different in weight, service, options, MPG, comfort, noise level and PRICE. At 50%+ more cost , the Buick should be a more comfortable luxurious car and it is with less MPG . The Hyundai at 20% less weight should get better MPG and it does for us. Both cars deliver the EPA rated MPG, sometimes better. The only real choice for city MPG was to buy a small light weight hybrid which did not work for us. Much discussion on this board about buyers getting the wrong car for their driving needs, either city or highway, lead foot or old folks slow, max comfort or max MPG. Choose wisely within your buying limits and be thankful for good safe cars with good roads to drive on.
  • Options
    Even the older Buick Centuries with the 3.1 V-6 were amazingly comfortable, quiet and fuel efficient on the highway, 31 to 33 mpgs, and that was over 10 years ago. My Buick Park Ave Ultra got the same highway mpgs as our Nissan Versa.

As the car buying public is now seriously picking and choosing different cars with better mpg's, the Oil Companies are simply hiking the gas prices higher and higher to keep the billion$ in profits rolling in every month. (BP is paying their 4 billion fine for the Gulf deep water oil blow out, out of one quarters profits)

I think the truth is, if everyone were driving 100 mpg cars, the price of gas would simply go to $20.00 a gallon.

$
  • Options
    Yes, I did reset the mpg meter when I filled up and entered the highway. I now reset it every once in a while while driving in town hoping to erase old bad mpg and start fresh, but the results do not change significantly.
  • Options
    We had a 98 Bonneville that always got 30+ at speed limit plus and 16-20 in town. Big heavy road car - just got old , like the drivers , so we traded. The maintenance cost on an older car is a serious factor what with the O/S warranties on certain cars now. If we get a good car, we keep it 10 years or more.
    Oil companies play the lobbying game very well. Price of gas has NOTHING to do with cost to produce crude + refineries. They are allowed to make 6% of the cost so high cost foreign crude works better for profits than low cost domestic. Check out a long term comparison of crude oil cost vs. profits.
    Now they are EXPORTING petroleum/gas at established higher prices due to "world demand". What happened to keeping our resources for national security Mr. Politician?
  • Options
    Have you taken your car into the dealer to see if there's something mechanically wrong with it? 26 mpg while cruising on the highway at a moderate speed (e.g. under 70) is way too low for that car, assuming it's operating normally.
  • Options
    "What happened to keeping our resources for national security Mr. Politician?"

Mr. Politician is likely bought and paid for by the Koch Brothers

MPG' forums are everywhere, you name the Car, and there's someone posting that's not meeting or beating the window sticker mileage. This is one area where 'taking it into the dealer' is a total waste of your time.

Unless it's bucking, backfiring, and stalling right at the door, it comes out "Can't replicate the issue" or "no stored code"...or bring it back when it does it again...
    With an underperforming mpg vehicle about all you can hope for is that you leased it.
  • Options
    I see many who lament that their big old Pontiac, Buick Ford,... "insert name here"... got great mpg e.g. 30+ highway... "insert mileage here"... even with a big V-6, 4 speed auto, and all that road hugging weight so why oh why can't the latest technology at least duplicate that ? Well, blame, if you are looking for a entity to blame, the good ole US government. Howzaat? Well, first and maybe formost the ever stricter EPA emission requirements. Is it good enough that the air quality coming out of the tailpipe of a modern car is cleaner than the air going into the airbox? Nooooo so strike #1 is emissions. All that great technology is enabling manufacturers to merely tread water fuel economy and driveability wise. OK strike 2 is ethanol, 10%...15%...85% all of it reduces fuel economy by a minimum of 3-5%@ 10% blends to much, much more at higher levels. In addition to at least one magazine exploring this with the same vehicle using various blends from E-10-85% then compairing that to straight gas and noting the DECREASE in economy by nearly 20% if I recall on E-85. Actually I have noted the same decrease percentage on a 1995 car that I have had for 10 years and keeping track of economy before and after ethanol..a 5% decrease for me consistantly. Strike 3 is marketing, every manufacturer is now selling fuel economy and if your sub compact can't claim 40+ your compact 38+ your mid size 34 or 35 and even your SUV middle 20's then people move on even though the whole package as a car is super. This is proved out here where apparently most of you complainers generally like the car as a whole BUT dislike the fuel economy so lets throw the car out. Why? I guess unless it meets or exceeds the sticker numbers then Hyundai... or"insert offending manufacturer here"... as a company are liars and frauds. In my opinion for a relatively large powerful roomy sedan to get at least something over 30mpg, as most get, in this environment of ever stricter restrictions, crummy diluted gas, and a nation of chronic speeders is remarkable. By the way though I generally like Hyundai please check other forums for complainers concerning "poor" (read less than the advertised sticker fuel economy). Hint, you will find this complaint from probably every model from every manufacturer. Again, "you can't please all the people all the time" how true.
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    How about strike 4? Many of the people who compare new cars to old neglect to factor in the weight differences. An older compact car compared to a new compact is generally smaller, lighter, and less safe due to the changes in required safety equipment now mandated by our government. Think airbags, ABS, TCS, rollover standards, crumple zones, etc. All those mandated requirements mean that the new cars, regardless of make, need all the technology they can reasonably include to get close to the economy of the older cars. Plus many models have actually moved up in class and luxury compared to older models of the same name. There are just so many factors involved.
  • Options
    When I joined this forum I thought it would be a good exchange of ideas on Sonata mileage issues. So many of the Sonata owners I chatted with had way less than promised MPG. Goodness, even the head of Hyundai auto in Korea acknowledged and apologized for the deception. And if any of you travelled throughout Asia as I did during my working days then you realize how embarassing that is for them. It's called "loss of face", and even prompts some executives to commit suicide.
    But all I got from this forum was comments from presumed Hyundai employees or salespeople saying how it is my fault. One guy who referred to us as a moron should be banned from this forum.
    I am removing my name from the forum list...hey I'm retired and financially secure...who needs this crap.
    To the moderators of this forum...you need to discipline some of these posters.
  • Options
    I am THAT GUY and as I stated in reply to an earlier post where the person replying to my "moron" statement called ME a moron. I explained that the term "moron" was a generalization of those "morons" who drive agressively, speeding then slamming on the brakes to stop at the next red signal light, only to rocket off to do it all over again THEN complain about poor fuel economy. I was NOT calling anyone here, in particular, names. So, goodby and happy Thanksgiving! Free speech still prevails, I think.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Not that you're out of line, but "free speech" has nothing to do with private property, like these forums. Freedom of speech does allow you to say whatever you want, without obligating anyone to provide you a venue in which to say it. :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    I rented a 2013 Sonata for 2 days earlier this week and was amazed at the mileage. Even though the car only had 1300 miles, after filling up, resetting, and getting on the highway the mileage display went up to 42 mpg using cruise control at 65 mph. Overall mileage for my rental was 32+ mpg for the 2 days. Eco was on the entire time.

In order to see if there might be something amiss on a car with disappointing mileage, I'd suggest resetting the mileage display and immediately getting on the highway using cruise control at 65 or so. If you don't show at least in the high 30's, I'd say something was wrong. Getting the dealer to admit to a problem is another question.

Using this method as a test would eliminate any influence on mileage from poor driver technique.
  • Options
    nymattnymatt Member Posts: 4
    My experience has really been in local driving - I get the expected mileage on the highway. The car has a stated city MPG of 24, and I get somewhere between 18-19. That's a significant difference especially since 75% of my driving is local.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    42 mpg Highway for the Elantra is pretty much what to expect, 2 recent published highway mpg tests of the car also got the same or a little better.

One test featured a car rental Elantra, with a few thousand miles on it and a Chevy Cruze on a 600+ mile over hill and dale run. Both of them got over the window sticker mpg but the Elantra beat the Cruze by a cupfull. I think the other mpg highway test of the Elantra was done by Motor Trend and they were amazed at the great mpg's they got.

" Not only is it easy to achieve, it's easy to surpass, even under less than ideal conditions. If you choose a car with a high-economy claim and drive within reason, you should be able to match those window-sticker figures. Considering that these cars are also decent performers on the road, the benefit of this high-efficiency engineering really goes to consumers, who are apparently getting more than they've bargained for."

(they must have somehow found a regular driver on staff and not the Lead Footed Gear Heads that they normally have behind the wheel of anything they test drive)
  • Options
    "City driving" has so many variables, very different for different people. For some, it's cruising on suburban roads with some urban freeways. For others, it's sitting stopped in heavy traffic a lot (when FE is zero). Then there's the folks who have short commutes, with the engine not warmed up and operating at full efficiency for most of the trip. And some people live where it's hot so AC is on full blast all the time, others live where it's cold 6 months of the year so the car takes longer to warm up (and maybe the driver starts it and lets it warm up awhile before starting out).

So lots of things can bring down city FE. Plus there's the variation in how people drive. Case in point is my DW and me. She drives carefully, but hasn't mastered how to get high FE out of a car (light foot, coasting as much as possible, turn off the engine if sitting a long time etc.). And she doesn't want me to tell her. ;) So on our 2007 Sonata, she does well to hit 20 mpg in the city... which for us is more suburban driving, not inner city. I have no problem getting mid-20s unless it's very cold weather.

It's an old saying "YMMV", but there's a lot of truth in it.

BTW... looks like I'll be trading in the 2007 Sonata on a 2013 GLS tomorrow, due to a too-good-to-pass-up deal at my local Hyundai dealer. So I'll be able to report on what the car can do in my real world of driving, and my DW's real world of driving. They will be different, that I know.
  • Options
    brittonkbrittonk Member Posts: 1
    After reading a lot of posts here I count myself even luckier....I was getting in the 20's for combined fuel economy on my 2002 sonata 4 cyl. but I was also suffering for a long time with what turned out to be faulty ignition coil packs. After I replaced those and a new set of plugs I'm now getting around 40 mpg....and that is normal daily driving(ie Indy 500) which is combined....not strictly highway. But then again I'm running around with an Optima lower block in my sonata....maybe there is some difference after all. This will end up being the franken-car that I give to my kids to drive someday....much to the chagrin of my wife.
  • Options
    mileagemyth4mileagemyth4 Member Posts: 1
    I agree with you 100%. I bought my 2013 Sonata Turbo 6 weeks ago, and immediately complained about the gas mileage (19-22 mpg in mostly highway driving). I was told by the dealer it would increase after getting my first oil change . . .?!?!? So much for the 28-34 mpg promised!
  • Options
    Picked up my wife's new GLS on Friday, drove it about 100 miles so far (well, I have to help her break it in :) ) . It's been all in-town driving (suburban streets with a lot of stop lights, a little urban freeway), temps 10-32 F, no trip longer than 7 miles so a lot of driving while the engine was warming up. I do use a light foot on the gas, although I punched it a couple of times.

Per the mpg meter the average mpg to date is 24.7. I noticed the instantaneous meter was pinging between 30-50 while on the freeway jaunts.

So still very early, but encouraging given all the short trips, the cold weather, and the brand-new engine. Can't wait to take a long trip to check out the highway mpg.
  • Options
    petey931petey931 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    I used to own early production 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The avg mpg was phenomenal. 26 town (in NYC traffic) and 35-36 highway. I have to say that I have a heavy foot and still I managed to get amazing MPG - i never used the annoying econ light on the dashboard. Right now I'm driving a 2013 Sonata - i only have 239 miles on it and the mpg I'm getting so far is awful! 18-19 in the city and 26-28 on the highway with the ECON on and veeeeery delicate use of the accelerator. I have no clue whats going on, the car drives amazingly other that a completely different feel of the steering wheel. I liked my old steering feel much better. 2013 doesn't give me ANY road feel at all. I'm worried about the mpg, maybe I should have gone with the Altima - I hope the mpg will go up when the car brakes in.
  • Options
    romil01romil01 Member Posts: 75
    I have a 2011 Sonata GLS and have been pleased with the MPG. I do 25% city and 75% highway driving and normally average about 33 MPG. The MPG display in the car doesn't seem to be that accurate, I calculate it myself based on the range driven and amount of fuel used (the car normally tells me 31 MPG on average). I usually drive 75 MPH on the highway with AC on.
  • Options
    cpenycpeny Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS. I have approximately 25,000 miles on it. As an experiment I drove my car 25 percent in the city and 75 percent on the highway. I never let me RPM's get above 2000 RPM's. hi then calculated my mileage for the fuel that was used over the 300 mile trip. the average gas mileage was 26 miles per gallon
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Very close to our 2012 GLS; 22-24 in city and highway only is 33 at max speed, and 36-37 at 65-70, where it is best. Your numbers indicate 24 city 36 highway for the average of 31-33 or 32. Math works and that is pretty close to EPA #'s. Exactly what we needed and for less than $20,000 a pretty good value to boot. So far, the dealer service is outstanding and only minor issue was the toe adjustment on front was out on left side only. After 8000 miles more (11000 total) all is well on that score. Good choice for us and no buyer's remorse here either.