Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 vs Chevy TrailBlazer SS vs Porsche Cayenne Turbo

blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet
The Jeep is the better choice for two reasons: more horsepower and a better power-to-weight ratio. It doesn't hurt that it also packs a 6.1L Hemi with 420hp vs. the Trailblazer's 391 6.0L V8 small block LS2

Comments

• bosox21bosox21 Member Posts: 6
    When is the SRT-8 coming out?
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    Late November early December 2005.
  • dlcleavksdlcleavks Member Posts: 20
    Any word on price?
    DC says that it stickers between 45 and 50 thousand.
    I was hoping DC would market it in an affordable range.
  • mph02mph02 Member Posts: 5
    When is the Trailblazer SS coming out?
    Late November early december, around about the same time the SRT-8 hits the street
  • zumdishzumdish Member Posts: 2
    The GC is pricey to be sure, and with gas prices . . .

Still, I had a 1998 5.9 Unlimited, it was just an engine and trim upgrade, at the time the fastest SUV on the market. Loads of fun, lots of fond memories. I love the idea of a modern version, with suspension and brake upgrades to match.
    You're right the SRT-8 is expensive. And with the gas market the way it is right now, DC is taking a gamble. I too had(still got it) a 5.9 Limited. It felt so good to be able to not only smoke every truck in sight, but to also be able to hang with some of the sports cars at the time. I wish DC would've invested more time in trying to Americanize it's popular Euro-market only turbodiesel it has in the JGC and now the Commander. But it is what it is. Mercedes and BMW had better watch out because the SRT-8 is upon you. It has a receipe that only sports car makers can only do: Low weight, lowered suspension,bigger engine are the same ingredients that Jeep used in the 5.9. And with the price that is surely to undercut them buy at least $20,000, how can they go wrong?
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    Anyone have any idea how much over MSRP dealers will charge for this initially? Would love to get one at MSRP.
    With today's fuel crisis and the fact that so many people are getting out of truck-based SUV's and into crossovers, the dealers on both sides should actually go BELOW sticker with intial run of these trucks. That's what I've been told by my Jeep dealer.
    Thanks very much. That's great news. I hope they build enough to make it not too exclusive. I heard that some dealers were asking 10K above 300C SRT earlier this year.
    They indeed were asking $50K around here just to start with. I've seen one that was fully tricked out at 60thou. Ouch. But I do believe that is about over with because the SRT-8 300 wasn't moving as fast as DC would like. I saw one on the rack at the dealer yesterday for $36,500, which is well below sticker.
  • jeepkbdjeepkbd Member Posts: 4
    Awesome Vehicle!

I recently drove one, (Manufacture Vehicle) The thing is insane. I can't believe how quick it is and how well it handles. Can't wait til they hit the market, I was told early December.

I took a 300 SRT8 out also, problem is, that is a rear wheel drive car.

The Grand SRT8 is all wheel.

Which means no tire squeal, JUST GO!

:)
    any price indication?
  • essqueessque Member Posts: 1
    I think it's difficult to imagine the SRT-8 not being the better performer and feature laden vehicle of the two. But when you consider the SS is starting out at $33k while the SRT is said to be around $45-$50, the value of the SS really starts to shine. Not to mention it will probably be much more easy to modify considering the engine/aftermarket.

Gas mileage be damned, as long as the SS accepts an 85/15 ethanol blend I'll take it!
    Your info is extremely slanted. You actually think that DC is going to price the SRT-8 BELOW a '06 JGC Overland.Try in the neighborhood of $42,500. The only options are nav, rear seat entertainment, chrome wheels. Get your facts in a row.

And furthermore, that dealer I saw that had the 300 SRT now has a SRT Charger with 1500 miles on it for $35,000.

So who's full of it now stang,(wrong forum Ford guy)?
  • blr1blr1 Member Posts: 6
    A dealer in Alhambra (outside of L.A.) is offering to sell at MSRP ($39,300). There are only a few options: Nav Sys ($1200), DVD ($1200), but must also get Group 1 option ($3195), Sunroof ($800). Is MSRP a good price?
    I'd think that price is below '06 GC Overland which makes it a good deal if you don't want the options. That's cheaper than what I paid for my current '02 Overland which I bought in early '02. I've been contacted by my local dealership saying they will be getting two SRT-8's...not sure when they receive them.
    I would like the DVD, but you have to order the Group 1 (sunroof, back up sensors, heated seats, auto adj headlights, memory seats, etc) with that. Can't order the DVD alone. There are 2 SRT Jeeps on eBay now. One at MSRP and one with a $54K Buy it Now price. They are quoting an early Dec delivery. My dealers says more like Jan/Feb for deliveries.
    Does anyone know how the reliablity for the SRT 8 6.1 engines is?
    To new to tell, however my neighbor has a 300 SRT-8 with about 7600 miles on it and it is flawless.

I talked to a lot of Mopar gear heads on another forum and they said that the 6.1L should be even more reliable than the 5.7L because all the components are more durable
  • buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    Is there a features comparison page for the GC SRT-8 vs TB SS. According to Edmunds a full boat GC SRT-8 goes for $45K + -. That isn't too bad considering the performance. A full boat Magnum SRT-8 comes in at $42K + -. With GM Red Tag pricing it will be nice to see what the Trailblazer SS comes in at. I think they will be close in handling & braking, 0-60 speed might be a diferent matter.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Vehicle Comparison page will let you compare up to 5 models at a time, but I don't see the TrailBlazer SS style in the database yet.

Steve, Host
    Well, I went to my local Chrysler/Jeep dealer couple days ago and saw a 300C SRT-8 listed at $54k (including 10K surcharge). So perhaps it depends on the region. I was told to expect at least 5k premium on GC SRT. I've decided to just get a limited with Hemi.
    "Despite sharing aerodynamics with Carnegie Hall, Chevy's new muscle-bound SUV is dead stable and…hold on a second while I pass this truck…requires nothing more than a few fingertips on the steering wheel to keep it pointed straight down the road."

Follow-Up Test: 2006 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS (Inside Line)

imageimage

Steve, Host
    No full test yet, so this will have to suffice.

The American AMG: Why Chrysler's SRT Performance Division Is Hot (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
    That sounds about right. The upcharges here in Cali have been as high as $15k.

Since you've decided to go with the JGC Limited w/HEMI, there are host of upgrades available to get tons more power out of it without doing any internal work.

On my 2005 JGC HEMI that I sold for my Commander had 3" exhaust, Cold-Air intake, performance chip, Hypertech Programmer among other things that came up to about 397hp on the Dyno. I know this is shy of the SRT-8's 420, but hey I didn't have to pay a surcharge either.
    Thanks. I picked up my Hemi couple of days ago. I am happy with the power so far but where can I go to get those upgrades?
    For the exhaust, I had Borla 3" exhaust for the HEMI engine. I got the chip from jegs.com, the cold-air was a K+N FIPK system. I also had forged aluminum wheels from tirerack.com. There are a host of other go fast upgrades that I didn't have the time to put on. I would Google Jeep Grand Cherokee Accessories and sse what comes up.
    Thanks. I can wait for the other upgrades but I'll check the tirerack right away.
  • bosox21bosox21 Member Posts: 6
    So If I build a SRT-8 online for 43,000 im looking to pay 5-10K over that?
  • jbarnes1jbarnes1 Member Posts: 2
    I went to a Twin Cities MN Jeep dealer got a similar story with a surcharge of about $5k for the GC SRT-8. The dealer said they were only getting 1 for 2006. Went down the street to the Chevy dealer which had 8 SS Trailblazers on order. They told me I could order it the way I wanted and all rebates applied. Priced the LS1B with SS package, Curtain airbags and cargo cover. $36,800. Red Tag price $30,400. Quite a price difference for a couple of High perf SUVs. I think the SS will do the trick for $18,000 less.
  • jbarnes1jbarnes1 Member Posts: 2
    Good luck finding one. The dealers are getting very few of them. A good friend of mine is a senior manager at Chrysler told me the 6.1L Hemi supply is tight so production is restricted. The dealers know that no rebates or employee pricing deals apply so they can jack up the prices.
    I think you should expect at least $5k over MSRP. Still, it's not too bad considering what you get for it. I wasn't sure if I can get one at all anytime soon. Chevy SS does seem like a bargain in comparison.
  • megamikemegamike Member Posts: 42
    I found a dealer here in South Florida that was allowing just 2 customers to put deposits down and place orders for the Jeep SRT 8 at MSRP (I was lucky #2).

I ordered it in Black with only the $3100 premium package - no nav or rear entertainment. Total = $43,190

The dealer can only order 3 for the first shipment and he wants one for himself to display in his showroom and slap the $12k premium on it like he did the 300 SRT 8. Delivery is expected late January/early February

If i couldn't get it at MSRP, I'd be shoppin for a TB SS. Roomier and more leg room (I'm 6'3")
  • kirks407kirks407 Member Posts: 1
    Finally someone that understands.

that your getting the power of a porsche, at half the price.
    I think I going for the TB SS over the SRT Jeep. I can get the TB SS for about $30K now (employee price less $3K rebate). I can get SRT at MSRP ($40K with no options). I can more than make up the 25 hp gap with $10K in savings. I would prefer the SRT, but that's a pretty big gab.
  • ergoergo Member Posts: 56
    That Trailblazer SS stands for Screamin Sleeper deal! Plus it retains the 6,500lbs. tow rating! The Jeep GC SRT loses its tow rating!
    Actually, a GMT360 SUV is rated to tow 7200 pounds with the 4.2L I-6 motor and 7500 with the 5.3L V-8, so the TB SS did lose tow rating.

The JGC did lose tow capacity, but if you use either of these trucks tow anything, something is seriously wrong.
    "The styling hit has to be the center-mounted dual exhaust, something you'd expect on a Lamborghini, not a Jeep SUV. It looks cool and has the sound to back it up — a low, muted rumble that segues to a hearty bellow when you tromp on it."

Follow-Up Test: 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
    I DO plan to tow, but thankfully it's only 2 SeaDoos. I don't really care for the center outlet, so I plan on taking it to my mechanic (does amaizing work). If possible I'll have hime re-route the exhaust to the sides, and have the hitch exit through the center cut.

As for the TB SS, I will miss the cargo capacity for sure, but the GC SRT 8 will be more exclusive and therefore retain more long term value (A 1992 GMC Typhoon in good shape sells for $12 - $15k these days - MSRP was $29k).
    Great review! A little concerned about the low lying front spoiler, though. Interior is a little "blah" too, but the performance #'s are insane.

Used to be a big fan of silver exterior, but not crazy about the Silver on the GC SRT 8. Glad I picked black
    as I was just told by my factory rep. I picked the red over black and silver because, IMO it stands out more. But no matter what color you pick, no one will be able to tell because all they're going to see is dust from behind the SRT.

It's fully loaded and I even got them to install Mopar's HID lighting kit. All for about 47K, including freight. I was torn between the TB SS and SRT for a while because the Chevy is a bargain in comparison to the Jeep, however the SRT will retain more value over time, so money well spent.

I always did want a sports car with some sort of tow rating and cargo room. Looks like I got it.:P ;) :shades:
    By thw way, was the SS price quote for 2wd or 4wd?
    It was AWD.
    This Friday, Dec 16?!?! :surprise: You must show pics and give review when get home with it .
    Nice with the HID kit. Would have ordered it if it was an option. Already have portable Garmin Nav, and no kids yet so no rear entertainment either.
    Excellent review, however, the SRT that was tested must've been a green model with few miles on it because that 0-60 time of 5.2 sec. is off by half a second of what was posted by myself and DC.

Recently(November), I had the great opportunity to drive one around DC's proving grounds in Michigan. I posted a 0-60 time of 4.75 seconds. The Jeep did have 1100 miles on it and it was thoroughly broken in, so your times will improve after that mighty 6.1 loosens up.

I also agree that the ride can rattle teeth on certain road surface, however, even on Michigan's rough roads the ride was just short of the firm yet supple feeling that BMW's exude.

But all-in-all, no one should buy this truck if they are looking for a pillowy-soft Buick-like ride. That's out of the question. But if you're looking for the ultimate bang for the buck(right now until Merc brings out the ML6.3) and the security of AWD traction, "your vehicle has arriven".

Yes, I know the TB SS is cheaper(that will weigh in on the resale value 5 years down the road) and also has AWD, better cargo capacity, and the luscious Corvette 6.0L under the hood, but it sure is not a HEMI.:P ;) :shades:
    Red and Black are definitely the hottest colors. Black just seemed a little tougher IMO (see that commercial?).

Yes Mike, 12/16/05. CAN'T WAIT. I make it my business to drive past the Jeep dealership on my way home from work everyday to look at the SRT that they have on the spinning platform so I can picture myself in it(a little sick, I know). Would've bought it except I refuse to give the owner $60K FOR A JEEP!!!!!! Thank heavens the DC factory rep I associate with was able to get my truck expedited this week with 4 other SRT's coming to Cali by the weekend. Oh, I will be posting pics after I take it to get the K-40 built in radar put in so I won't go to jail faster than I can say: "officer I was just trying it out"
    and I'll get the dealership to tint the front side glass for me.

Have you received your truck yet? I saw that you went with the black. This will be the first red Jeep product I've bought since my '98 JGC 5.9 LTD. I bet that black looks good on it. You'll be able to fly under the radar better than I can.
This discussion has been closed.