Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What is "wrong" with these new subcompacts?

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2010
    My Outback has a bump for the power window controls - hits my left knee in exactly the wrong spot. I should move the switches to the console. I don't get that kind of design either (maybe I spent too many years in Idaho and learned the wide stance?).

We didn't like the early Odyssey passenger side since the dash felt too intrusive.

The Fit was good that way as I recall. It's been about a year since we test drove one, but I don't remember being cramped.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    It can be there - just shape is smoothly and pad it.
    Good idea. I do have a pile of black ethafoam lying around in my junk drawer. It'd blend right in with the black leather panels.
    I used a beer koozie! LOL

Cut to size, then stuck with two-sided tape.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    I guess based on size, a Lexus IS250 is a subcompact. I know it is tiny inside.

and the bump on this one is on the floor, right behind the gas pedal. You (best as I recall) have to thread your leg over/around the hump, and it is always in the way.

Some part of the AWD system, and since they are prevented from law in NJ from selling a RWD model, you get the hump.

Even if I wanted one, it was a total deal breaker.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Wait - what law is that... You can't sell a RWD car in NJ?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited November 2010
    what did ya think of yer test drive of the new world order Ford Fiesta? Hatch or sedan? Manual or automatic?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Hey iluv, how come you haven't test-driven a Fiesta yet? You know your local Ford dealer has had them for a while, right?

I am thinking I am going to try and squeeze in a test drive this week, while my impressions of the Mazda2 are still fresh.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

A friend bought one, so she actually took me out for a drive, and then tossed me the keys.

It was a hatch with the 6 speed auto. Sadly the auto crapped out at around 300 miles on the odometer, but Ford stepped up and replaced the whole thing (it took 3 tries, but she got a free extended warranty so they get a pass).

It drove well, not at all cheap feeling, though it is definitely small. To sit in the back seat I'd have to move the driver's seat way forward. Good college kid's car, but look elsewhere if you often carry more than you and one passenger.

She's happy and the new trans has been fine.
    that was sarcasm. Not technically a law, but no dealers ever have any (not sure if they refuse to take them, or the makers refuse to send them). So it seems like a rule!

edited November 2010
    thanks for the review. I've actually read dozens of them on the net like I always do when looking seriously at a car to potentially buy. I'll put it this way, Ford hasn't just quick-released this subcompact-lots and lots of thoughtful engineering that has been successfully transitioned to the production Fiesta automobile for us to enjoy. I'm still in the game for one but I'm loving how our '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS with automatic CVT tranny is plowing through Elko, NV's nasty ice and snow drivel here for the past week or two. Snow's not going away anytime soon, either.

I remain interested in the sedan later on sometime, maybe a year or two from now. The Lancer's not paid off yet and it only has about 64,650 miles on it, too. :)

DANG, iluv, an '08 with 64K miles on it already?? You do some DRIVING!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

happened to be wandering around a local BHPH lot last week (it is next to the parking lot of a produce place we stop at). They had a nice looking Odyssey like ours. Turned out to be a 2007 (we have a 2005). But this one had 121K on it. And from the fact that it had an original dealer inspection sticker (good for 4 years), I knew it had not turned 4 years old yet (and who knows how long it had been idled in "for sale" mode).

Lot of driving on a Honda AT!

edited December 2010
    and I'll be doing some more in the near future. I'm headin' home (Washington state) to peruse Washington state job opportunities. Two places, both of which readers in here probably haven't heard of before.

Brewster, WA, on the Columbia River in eastern Washington and Poulsbo, WA, on the western half of the state. Poulsbo is on the Kitsap Peninsula, about 20 miles north of Bremerton, WA. Even though moving is a pain in the buns and expensive, I am missing home horribly and am going to pursue these positions with much gusto and see what happens.

Anyhoo-Seattle is approximately 735 miles NW of here in Elko, NV. I could be on the road within a few days. I'll post on the road what happens as any exciting news happens along the route.

My wife and I are somewhat gypsy...we do put a lot of miles on our rigs...but always only have one rig at a time. The Lancer GTS is a fantastic car...I am going to maintain it and enjoy it to the Nth Degree.

As far as driving in the snow on the way over to Washington state, uhh, I've faced a whole winter of snow here in Elko in just the past week and a half! Bring it on!

You also pretty much live 5 hours from anything. ;)
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    Brewster, WA, on the Columbia River in eastern Washington and Poulsbo, WA

I know and have been to both. Our family has a long time friend from Bridgeport. Question is, what kind of jobs are in Brewster? It is really small...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

That's a lot of miles.

You should consider one of the new 40+mpg fuel misers, or even a hybrid.

Sounds like you'd break even in, oh, about 12 days. LOL
    edited December 2010
    yep, now some more of you might be getting my 2011 Ford Fiesta thing. 37mpg but you know our '08 Lancer GTS gets me about 32mpg average on the freeway.

steve, you're right, 500 miles from anywhere is dead-on here in the Great Basin country. The other night I drove over to the Bonneville Salt Flats. I was there in about two hours on I-80.

Oh, for you wondering, the jobs there in those two towns are for Respiratory Therapists. The Brewster Hospital HR Director is approaching the CEO of the small hospital there right now asking for "fly him up here tomorrow money."

I told her "Can I please drive up there?" It was fine with her...man, they pay 50 cents a mile for gas. I did the math and that is around 57% more money than I will need in RUG to drive the 748 miles up there and back down here again!

Got a phone interview with Walgreen's in Everett, WA, tomorrow AM for an RT job, too. Looks like I'm gonna be headin' home, boys.

I need to just light in one place, though, huh? A lot of you regulars out there I'm sure don't do the gypsy thing quite as well as my wife and I and it does cost a lot of money. And you wouldn't want to. I'm hopin' for the Brewster, WA, job. I am going to try and settle down and pay off bills.

A bank might have trouble with this hombre right now giving me a loan for a 2011 Ford Fiesta S sedan. I'd opt for the Metallic Blue, 5-speed stick, single-CD player being the only option I'd need. Ford fits this pup out so well I wouldn't ask for a single other thing. Telescoping wheel, the "nibble" electric steering package, taught but supple over the bumps suspension comes standard on all 2011 Ford Fiesta sedans and hatches. I'll let ya know, Wenatchee probably has a Ford dealer as will Yakima, WA, too.

Robin Trower plays the Knitting Factory in Spokane on March 10, 2011, too. Gotta go see that man live! I'm pretty sure I'm headin' home, boys! :D

Whoo-hoo! :)

How about 40mpg, manual or automatic? Both 6 speeds, no less:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/02/video-hyundai-launches-save-the-asterisks-cam- paign-for-40-mpg-e/#continued

That's a funny campaign, too, poking fun at GM and Ford.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    good luck with you job search.
    the small town gig can work out.
    my BIL is an MD and has made a nice niche for himself in a smaller hospital off the beaten track.
    They do go to the 'big city' when they feel they need to.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Moving around every few years can be fun. Go for it. Only having one car helps make it more affordable too.

(Didn't realize that the Knitting Factory was a "chain". I just thought it was a dumb name for a Boise concert venue).
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, I didn't know that about the Knitting Factory, either. The Spokane venue seats 1,500 people. Looking forward to going. Still waiting to hear back on the Brewster, WA, job and I had a good phone interview with the Walgreens of Everett, WA, people this morning.

Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock.

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    edited December 2010
    "Honda is set to provide the CR-Z with an all-new four-cylinder gasoline-engine option as part of plans to broaden the compact coupe's appeal in key world markets, including North America.

Currently available with just one engine option—a gasoline-electric hybrid system that mates a 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine with a brushless electric motor—the CR-Z is also earmarked to receive a turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine currently undergoing development in Japan.

With forced induction and Honda's patented VTEC-i fully variable camshaft-timing system, the new 1.6-liter engine is aimed at providing the performance of a typical 2.0-liter engine...a standard version making about 160 hp and a highly tuned version aimed at matching the 200 hp of the discontinued 2.0-liter four-cylinder used in the Civic Type R. The latter engine is likely to form the basis of a CR-Z Type R tentatively due out in late 2011.

Plans to go beyond the single hybrid-engine option for the CR-Z come as sales of the coupe have begun to sag in Honda's all-important home market. The Japanese carmaker's intentions to add a gasoline engine to the lineup were first hinted at with the CR-Z Type R concept revealed at the recent SEMA show in Las Vegas. Unlike the proposed production version though, that car ran a turbocharged version of the CR-Z's existing 1.5-liter four-cylinder."
    Sales have gone form dismal to worse. I am glad Honda saw the light.

edited December 2010
    I found a Fiesta with a stick shift today! Turns out I had to try a small-town dealer who I assumed would have less in stock; in fact, that place was like the epicenter of the Fiesta intro, with rows and rows of Fiestas along the curb and big Fiesta banners everywhere.

And yes, an ample selection of stick shifts. I actually got to drive a car that was the exact trim and option set I would buy if I were buying today: an SES with nothing optional except the moonroof. I am still of two minds on the moonroof - I like that this is the only car in the class with a factory moonroof, but the one it has is a tiny little thing, completely BEHIND the driver, which kinda makes it not worth it. But it is a cheap option at $695.

This car is the OPPOSITE of the Mazda2 in almost every way I can think of. The Mazda is SOOOO much more fun to drive, with so much BETTER driver interfaces and controls, that it's amazing the two are even built on the same platform. But depending on what you like in your subcompact, there's a lot to like, and I can see why the Fiesta has won the awards it has.

Where the Mazda tells you everything the front wheels are doing, the Fiesta tells you very little - some would call this "well-damped". The Fiesta has one of those electric steering setups which has decent weight to it at 60 mph but can be turned by blowing on it at 0-5 mph, the feeling I refer to as "someone forgot to screw the steering wheel on so now it's coming off".

Where the Mazda corners fast and true but is often jittery over bad pavement or at high speeds, the Fiesta smooooooths everything out but kinda wallows through the turns. Where the Mazda is moderately noisy at highway speeds, the Fiesta is quieter. It is the small car that drives like a big car, something a lot of people want in a small car. I do not.

The interior of the Fiesta is YARDS better than either the Fit's or the Mazda2's - it has a padded dash, good ergonomics, and electronic HVAC controls where the others still have 1970s-type levers you pull on and hear the cables moving the vacuum doors behind the dash. Oh, and of course Fiesta has Sync in most trims. Bluetooth, ipod controls, all there. Soft surfaces most places elbows and hands end up. It feels like a 21st century car, whereas Mazda2 and Fit both feel very much like their makers cheaped out inside.

The Fiesta's clutch is light, which is good, but it's very hard to tell where it engages, which is bad. The shifter is decent but the Mazda's is better. The Fiesta has one of those e-throttles which is designed to increase power slowly as you push it down, which would drive me crazy. I would feel like I had to floor it all the time. However, it does have enough torque to pull away from a stop with very little revving in first gear, so the e-throttle thing isn't a big deal when you want smooth starts, just when you want quick ones.

Just like the Mazda, there isn't much power below 3000 rpm. UNLIKE the Mazda, it has no guts to pass in top gear on the highway, because of the taller top gear (which is good for an additional 2 points of highway fuel economy, according to EPA).

The price of the one I drove was $18,5. The Mazda Touring is $15,5. If you take out the moonroof on the one I drove (which isn't available in the Mazda), the price would be $17,8. It's easy to see where Ford put the extra $2300, so I think both are a good value, but there isn't much in that $2300 worth of stuff that I care very much about, and I would want the car that drives and handles better. So for me, the Mazda is ahead in the running, but I still intend to drive the Fit again to get a back-to-back-to-back impression.

IF I can find a stick shift Sport.

Foot note: believe it or not, my Echo feels stronger at around-town engine speeds than either of the two I have driven, but I guess that is borne out by the tested 0-60 times, which are slower for both Mazda2 (slightly) and Fiesta (more than a second slower) than they were for Echo. However, I think any of these are plenty fast enough if you are willing to keep the revs up above 3500 rpm. So when you need that burst of speed they are there for you, and the rest of the time you get that 40 mpg fuel economy. Or at least, I do.

Fit is the only one that has been measured faster than the Echo, so I am looking forward to driving it again (if I can find one) now that I have driven the 2 and the Fiesta.

• oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    Great review nippon! Based on your description, I would definitely prefer the Mazda over the Ford.

$695 may be a bargain as sunroofs go, but I can think of a whole bunch of ways that I would prefer to spend that tidy chunk of change than to spend it on a hole in the roof of my car. ;)
    edited December 2010
    You should also test drive the following vehicles with manual and tell us what you think:

- Scion TC - Overlooked but a fine car. Handles very nicely, IMO. Back seat is small, though. These are very slow sellers(Scion never seemed to really have taken off?) so you can get good prices on them.

- Mitsubishi Lancer - Also another often overlooked choice.

I personally think they are better vehicles that the Mazda 2 or the Fiesta. The Fiesta felt... HEAVY. Like they took a Fit and put a Buick suspension on it. Quiet, soft, and stable. But it's as wide in the rear end as a Buick, and the transmission, as you noted, is rubbish.

BTW - the two I mentioned above have pretty decent manuals. I'm consistently happy with how Toyota does manuals(Honda is also good, a Civic with Manual is a great thing)

Of course, if I had the money, I'd spend 17.5K on a 2010 Mustang and forget about MPG. (still does 25mpg combined, easy, with the V6 and manual) And, yes, that's a local price from TrueCar. Evidently the 2010 V6 models are slow movers, due to the new V6 in the 2011, despite being great budget transportation. Yes, it's a better engine, but is it worth 5K more? I don't think so considering that you have a manual to extract every ounce of that power. Figure a real world 8 seconds(again, not abusing the car) or so 0-60, which is worlds faster than a typical sub-compact.
    In looking at the models you suggested I drive, plekto, I am thinking you are suggesting cross-shopping strictly on price, as those models would be roughly the same price (the tC would be a bit more than the Fiesta SES and significantly more than the other two) but I am only interested in subcompact 4- or 5-doors, because I have sworn to myself I won't replace the Echo with a car that makes worse mileage and because I have little kids in the back often enough to value the extra doors.

tC and Lancer mileage kinda sucks IMO, especially the tC's. Mazda2 and Fiesta will allow me to match the Echo, I'm very confident, and in fact if I went with the Fiesta I think I could improve on the 40 mpg I get now by a bit.

A big drawback to the Fit is that I would probably drop a few points in fuel economy, so for me the Mazda is definitely leading in the race. The Fit would have to feel much more fun to drive than the Mazda to grab the prize at this point.

I wish the 500 were already out - I would love to compare its drive to these others, even though it is only a 3-door. But I bet it's slow - I really want to check out the Abarth, which is still a year away.

I'm so glad, and I hope they call it the CR-X!
    Well, that's the rub. If you want a good ride, 4 doors, and 35+mpg, you're down to a very narrow list. But there is a list. ;) The Fiat 500 is 2 door only and as small as a jellybean. It's like an estate version of a Smart car. And just about as slow unless you get the Abarth (which we won't in the U.S.)

I also removed a ton of vehicles from the list because they got mediocre MPG or had issues like miserable suspension or lacked a manual. The Civic Si, RX8, and many many others were dropped, because if you want 28-30mpg highway, just get a Buick or Camry. They are cheap and nearly indestructible in a crash. More on this later...

1: TDI type cars of course are one option. Good MPG and really no issues. No batteries to deal with, either from an environmental perspective or a potential resale value one. Due to the current pent up demand, resale value is quite high as well, especially for a TDI with manual(will sell in days, not weeks) A Jetta TDI gives you a midsize package and a micro-car's fuel economy. Finding one 1-3 years old, though, can be problematic. And the price you pay for them nearly kills the economy savings for the first 50-80K miles.

2: Alternative cars:

- Mini Clubman. What impressed me was that they managed to turn a tiny and poor excuse for a vehicle into something that actually works as a small family car. And without making it look like a jellybean or losing the same look and feel. Mini used to do this sort of alternate body styles approach back in the 60s, so it's not without merit. Great handling. Holds its value quite well. Buy new as these tend to be abused all too often.

- Get a Civic or Corolla. Sacrificing 3-5mpg for a much larger and better vehicle isn't necessarily a bad compromise. (don't forget the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe, either) The 2008 Pontiac Vibe is basically a Toyota Corolla wagon with a better interior and higher depreciation. Win-Win. :) Buy 1-3 yrs used if you can.

- The Jeep Patriot gets 29mpg highway and has a huge cargo area. It's a hidden gem amongst the miles and miles of overpriced and gas hungry SUVs. As long as you avoid automatics, Jeeps are decently reliable. There are loads of other small and micro SUVs out there as well, but most of them just simply cost too much. Starting at $15K, and often having rebates as well, it's worth looking at, IMO.
    http://www.carsdirect.com/build/options?zipcode=91107&acode=USC00JES141C0&restor- e=false (I chose Pasadena, CA because it's fairly close to a typical national price and is well known) Buy new, obviously.

3 - Kids. If you factor in really low prices like this (which is why I added the Mustang), you can get into a situation where you would have to drive a new Civic 100K+ miles to break even on the fuel costs. Just because you got such a screaming good deal. If it was my money, I'd be a cheap ba***rd and get the best 3-5 year old car that I could for the least amount of money. This usually means a domestic midsize sedan, but not always. The advantage here is that while you might get 5 mpg less than a typical small car, you paid 5K less for the vehicle. That's more than the gas savings. And it's safer in a crash, often handles better, and has tons more amenities as well. These tiny cars are frankly, not something I'd put kids into, because they're simply not going to survive in a typical crash, given that most cars are rolling down the road with a running weight of nearly 4000lbs including the driver and everything else.(not even factoring in SUVs)

My top "tightwad" pick for a good used car is to just get a 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix or similar for $8-10K. It gets 25mpg combined. If you drove 100K miles, the Pontiac would use 4000 gallons. If you had a 35mpg average car, it would use 1143 fewer gallons. At $3.20 a gallon, that means that as long as the larger vehicle is $3657 less than the econobox, you're breaking even and MPG is a moot factor.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=289963005
    That's your optimal car, other than it having an automatic. Though, the shifter is in-line on the floor, so power-shifting the automatic is simple. And, yes, it does have a "1" gear, so I've actually done it with cars I've rented. I'd rather drive this than a Civic, Yaris, or Mazda 2 any day.
    (maybe I'm spoiled, but I prefer small cars like the Volvo C30 - the lack of features in a typical $15K car is too much for me)
    About the TDI- with the HPFP problems, and the loss of power/dash warning lights like a xmas tree problems that keep getting reported on the 09+ TDI's, I'd personally avoid them. Too bad, as I like the car in concept. YMMV...

TrueDelta did report lots of early TDI issues FWIW....
    Well, the issue with TDIs is VW. Not the technology. Honda makes a TDI Civic in the U.K. that is amazing. Nearly 50mpg and Honda reliability. But not for us plebeians in the U.S...
    edited December 2010
    It's a shame, because the TDI Jetta wagon is pretty darn nice, too. Hopefully VW addresses it soon.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    I've read those GPs aren't exactly the most comfortable best finished cars.

But if kids are going to ransack it, I guess why not.
    edited December 2010
    Oh heck no. Not for me anyway. It seems from your remarks that in fact you are not a fan of the truly small car, but may instead subscribe to the "best value is the highest number of pounds of car I can get per buck" school of thought.

Which to me is a counter-productive way to think.

As for compact vs subcompact, my experience is that the quality and interior materials of compacts for sale in the U.S. isn't much better than the subcompact from the same automaker. So I would rather go with the subcompact to get the right-size car.

Also, for my commute car, nothing less than 40 mpg (in my driving, which equates to approx 36 highway EPA rating) will do. I do this not only for the dollar savings but for the GHG emissions savings, so buying a used car that makes 25 mpg for the same money because it nets out the same is not of interest to me.

I am not immune to the charms of the 45+ mpg Golf TDI, but it also costs about $25K with a moonroof, and for that money I would rather have the better driver of the pair: the Mini Cooper. At $25K the Mini comes with lots of toys, and in fact one optioned the way I would want is only about $22K. So I will have to wrestle with that decision before I pull the trigger: do I go with a much cheaper, more basic car which will be almost as much fun to drive but less desirable in lots of other little ways, or do I go with the Mini?

I had a Matrix and only averaged 32 mpg in it. Not to mention it was a cheap trashy car that I would never recommend to anyone, ditto its twin the Vibe. Nothing with a Jeep badge on it is a bargain to me - they all have beyond-cheap interiors (painful to the misplaced elbow, in fact) and below-30 mpg.

For now I'm sold on subcompacts for my commute car, and I'm also not looking to maximize pounds per dollar - I would rather buy the best car for my needs. Used is a possibility - I bought the Echo 2 years old and it proved to be a huge bargain by giving me 6 years and 100K miles of trouble-free operation, plus I saved about $4000 off the new price. But I think I would stick to certified, and I know that jacks the price up some and reduces the savings you net from going used.

Still looking for a Honda Fit Sport, might get some time this week if I shuffle a few things around.......

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    edited December 2010
    Based on what you say, you should go for the MINI. Why? The day after you buy it you'll forget about what you paid, or it will become a receding memory, while the joys of owning your favoite car will grow.

The Golf feels much more substantial than the Fit. If you prefer the MINI over the Golf, I predict that you'll prefer the feel of the MINI over the Fit.
    edited December 2010
    though I have just looked at the Ford Fiesta hatchback and sedan and not driven them, I am really keen on keeping and digging my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS compact. I get 32mpg on the highway consistently and 23mpg in the city. I beat the sticker, which says 22 city, 30 highway, IIRC. But I am more than happy with that kind of mileage.

2011 Ford Fiesta S sedan

But the Fiesta and Mazda 2 subcompacts would beat that, yes, but comparing the size of the Fiesta sedan and the Lancer GTS, I just get enough extra sq. footage in the Lancer to make things more comfortable. I would need to test drive a Fiesta sedan to tell you for sure, but man, just leaning over to look inside the Fiesta, it is small in there! And I would buy the sedan, the hatchback would really feel like it's closing in on me I think.

well, if you will go a little larger (and don't need a hatch, I may have lost track of your needs here!) take a look at the new elantra. I drove one the other day, and it was extremely nice. And rated at 40 hwy, and some reports make that seem entirely reasonable.

I am pretty sure the stick will be on the base model, so $ wise it will be cheap.

and if you like the current model, they are having a fire sale on those!

I didn't realize the new 40 mpg model was already out. If I can get a stick and factory cruise in the same model, it is worth a look-see. Still under $20K I hope?

Problem is there isn't a good Hyundai dealer anywhere near me - my area got Kia instead.

Well, then, you're down to the Mini Clubman, the Lancer, the VW GTI, or maybe something like a Civic.

There also is a more "green" alternative to any hybrid out there, and that's a Civic GV. With the in-you-garage filling device, you're looking at roughly the equivalent of $1.50 a gallon for fuel and greenhouse gas emissions that are essentially zero.(in most urban areas, the air that comes from the tailpipe is cleaner than the surrounding air)

My cousin's husband has one and it saves him a ton of money and is otherwise a normal Civic. The only two downsides are the 250 mile range and the trunk is half the normal size. IMO, big deal.

There are is one vehicle, though, that might perk your interest.
    - A 2005 C230K sedan. Reasonably priced, reliable transmission(manual of course), and about 35mpg highway. One of the best European sedans ever made, IMO. They still sell a slightly larger engine version in Europe, but the U.S. version has a non supercharged engine that just doesn't hit that magic spot any more. They also made a 2 door coupe version of the same thing that's quite inexpensive. 12-14K used.

I personally love this car and keep looking for one with manual and green paint, but almost everything is black or silver. Still, it's a fantastic car.
    just dribbling out. Not sure if the stick is an early availability.

and the price whould please you. The loaded limited (leather, heated seats, roof, AT) only stickers for $20,700.

so, I am guessing that the base model stick is going to be mid-teens?

No idea about the cruise though (which just happens to be one option I would not notice if it was gone, but I do require the moonroof. To each his own!)

Problem is there isn't a good Hyundai dealer anywhere near me - my area got Kia instead.

Are you in the city? I only moved here a year and a half ago and don't know the stories...are the Hyundai dealers here problem children?

This project put a K20 in a new CR-Z and gutted the hybrid battery and components:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/13/video-honda-cr-z-gets-the-k-series-engine-it-- was-meant-to-have/

I bet it's a kick to drive...
    I'm in Marin. There is an also-ran Hyundai dealer just getting established up in Petaluma, but the place is like an afterthought of a dealership group with a bunch of brands.

After that, I'm not sure where the next closest is. Probably Vallejo. Is there a Hyundai dealer in SF? Probably, so that would be about the same distance as Vallejo for me, but neither one is conveniently close for warranty service.

stickguy: actually this time, I may make BOTH the cruise and moonroof deal-breakers. But of the cars I have looked at so far, only the Fiesta has a factory moonroof, unless I move up into a different price range, in which the Mini and Golf TDI both have factory moonroofs available.

The 2010 Yaris is down to $12,6 at a local dealer - that's a 3-door with power package (I prefer the hatchback to the sedan). Would have to add cruise for $500 or so, but still the price is WAY below the others at this point. Of course, I swore to myself that the next time around I wouldn't buy on price.....always a mistake in the end. The Yaris is easily the worst of the subs at this point, with the exception of the terrible Aveo.

you always have the option of having the roof dealer installed Qbrozen did that recently when he bought his Mazda5.

I know the Hyundai doesn't have themoonroof available with the stick at this point.

and you couldn't pay me to do a long daily commute in a Yaris. Yuck.

The Fiesta hatch is very nice looking, and supposedly has a very good highway ride. The upcoming Focus looks evenmore tasty.

edited December 2010
    looks at the new world order Ford Focii. But isn't the Focus a compact car like my Lancer and not a subcompact?

Yep, a step up from a Fiesta.
    a Yaris 3-door with power package tonight. They offered me $1500 trade for the Echo (about $1500 more than I expected anyone to give me in trade for an almost-150K Echo with some minor body damage and a stick shift) to try to get me to buy, but I walked.

Still, that is effectively a price of $11,000 for a brand new Yaris. If I paid them $400 to install cruise, which is the price they quoted me for that, that is $11,4. Is the Mazda2 really $4000 better? Can the Fit Sport really be $5000 or more better? I wonder. And those are going to be the real-world prices of those two, give or take maybe $500.

The deal is good for seven days. The Yaris is a decent drive - not as buttoned down as the Mazda was, but preferable to a Fiesta for me. They have improved the interior a little bit since I last drove one - there are now soft-retract grab handles for both front-seat occupants for instance. The steering is worse than the Mazda's and the Fiesta's - no on-center feel at all, and not much feel anywhere else either, come to think of it. The shifter is a pretty good one though, most Toyotas' shifters are. The clutch is as good as the Mazda's - light and easy to tell where it engages. And it's basically the same powertrain as the Echo's, which makes it likely it will also go 150K without giving much trouble, providing 40 mpg fuel economy all along the way. The Yaris is one of the top-rated Toyotas for reliability.

Have to think about it.....I am going to still make one last attempt to find a stick shift Fit Sport to drive this weekend.