Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Sunfire Electrical Problems

Comments

• vito3vito3 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Quast.....I have the same problem on my 99 but didnt really worry about it. Now that I want to sell it i thought I should get it fixed. Anyone have idea? My gas gauge will only leave the full mark briefly when starting then then taking off or the odd time when stopping....but 90% it stays at the full mark like Quast. ANyone see this before and is there a solution a guy can do from home? THanks for any replies.
    Vito
  • heyo1heyo1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey i am looking for a diagram for a 98 sunfire can anyone direct me to a link for the schematics
  • billiards_grrlbilliards_grrl Member Posts: 1
    Is there anything special I need to know before changing the stereo in my 05 sunfire?
  • whitney12whitney12 Member Posts: 2
    I changed the stereo in my 05 pontiac. All the chimes are in your stock stereo. When you change it, just know that you wont get a warning if your key is still in the ignition or if your lights are still on. You can have the stereo guys put in some kind of adapter though. I think it's like 80 bucks.
  • penetr8r1penetr8r1 Member Posts: 1
    Let me toss this one at ya...my digital odometer doesn't work at all. I was told I could replace the instrument cluster, but how in the world would I get to it? Does anyone know how to remove the cluster?? :confuse: :shades:
  • rousearousea Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 Sunfire and until a few days ago, the radio always shut off when I opened my door. Now, it doesn't shut off immediately. It's almost like clockwork. After I open my door, it waits almost exactly 5 seconds before shutting off.

Not that it's a problem but I've had the car for 2 years now and until a couple of days ago, the radio always shut off as I opened the door and now it doesn't.

Anyone experienced this or know what the issue may be?
  • depanicisdepanicis Member Posts: 2
    30 Amp Fuse in Engine Compartment blows as soon as power is turned on.

Fuse in passenger compartment ok!

Disconnected blower motor, resister and same happened.

Replaced with a new relay...same problem.

Replaced switches in Dash with one from scrap yard same problem.

Tried new resister...same problem.

Anyone know of where the short might be?

Pontiac 2000 Sunfire Automatic
  • depanicisdepanicis Member Posts: 2
    Short in wiring harness inside dash has been found and repaired....
  • alpharecon91alpharecon91 Member Posts: 23
    i have a 2000 sunfire it runs pretty good and plan to keep it for a few more years the only problem i am having with it is the odometer kicked out at about 100k does anybody know how to fix this i took it to a machanic and they said they would have to send it away to be fixed and it would take 2 weeks to get it back, i cant go that long without a car! does this sound right? or is it just a loose wire or something does anybody know of an on going problem in this perticular year or something i know there has been a lot of problems with blown fuses in the sunfires could this be it i dont think so tho cuz everything else works just no odometer :(
  • g_paquetteg_paquette Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my horn on my 95, i thought it just didnt work (like everything else) but i accidently found it, I just pressed on the steering wheel near the top, not where the horn symbols are, and it worked.

I have a problem with my reverse lights, I changed the bulbs, and the sockets seem ok, does this car jus have bad wiring or sauder joints? can anyone shed some light on this?
  • g_paquetteg_paquette Member Posts: 2
    haha, thats too bad, but if i were u i would leave it so when u sell it it will have a low milage ;) that should be one of the few things that should never break on a car, says alot about the construction of the car :lemon:
  • sunfirebsunfireb Member Posts: 3
    Hello bikergtp,
    Thanks for the reply. The local GM dealership told me that one of the rear speakers had a short in it and that was my problem. The service mgr. said to replace the rear speakers and that would fix the problem.
    I am a Union electrician and that just doesn't make any sense to me.
    My front speakers have never missed a beat but the rear speakers just come and go, not when I hit bumps and such, just randomly kick in and out, one or both.
    I think theres a short in the wiring harness going to the rear speakers. I would sure like to hear from anyone that has replaced the rear speakers and that rectified the problem.
    Thanks biker, and Thanks in advance for any insight.
    Todd
  • sunfirebsunfireb Member Posts: 3
    haha, thats too bad? What kind of helpful reply is that? So, you condone breaking the law huh? That doesn't surprise me. You are in a Pontiac Sunfire forum and you have no helpful comments. Go to POGO and play some games, seems like thats the extent of your knowledge. What do you drive? If its not a Sunfire then why are you here? Your opinion is nothing less than 5th grade. Have a great week!
  • maryann62maryann62 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, my daughter's sunfire emergency flashers work, but the turn signals do not. We changed the light bulbs to see if that could be the problem and they still don't come on. The fuses are fine to. When the flashers are on you can here a click but when you turn the turn signals on it is quite. We were told it could be the relay but we can't find it anywhere any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks MaryAnn
  • pantsuitpantsuit Member Posts: 2
    The flasher is located under the dash, just above the break pedal. You need to remove the cover panel and then you will be able to see it. If you look WAY up there, a light green mounting case holds the flasher. It's easier to get to if you come from behind, and not just straight up. Use a screwdriver or something to push it toward the steering wheel and off of it's mount, and install the new flasher. If you didn't find a flasher encased in a mount, just tape it to something with electrical tape so it won't rattle around. :)
  • pantsuitpantsuit Member Posts: 2
    The flasher is located under the dash, just above the break pedal. You need to remove the cover panel and then you will be able to see it. If you look WAY up there, a light green mounting case holds the flasher. It's easier to get to if you come from behind, and not just straight up. Use a screwdriver or something to push it toward the steering wheel and off of it's mount, and install the new flasher. If you didn't find a flasher encased in a mount, just tape it to something with electrical tape so it won't rattle around. :D
    Hi Pantsuit, Thank you for your answer, umm do you happen to have a picture of the flasher so my husband will no what it looks like. :) or where we could fined one.
    Thanks,
    MaryAnn
  • casey60casey60 Member Posts: 7
    2002 Sunfire. Manual 5 speed. 2.2l engine. 2 back up lights dont work when car is put in reverse. Checked lightbulbs, both ok. Checked voltage, none. Checked fuse ok. any suggestions? Thanks
  • willie_1986willie_1986 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2003 Pontiac Sunfire 4 door sedan, 4 cyl. We had it about 2- 3 months when the Display light for the clock and the the lights lighting up the gear shift at night are both burned out and they are the only two lights not working every other light works great, i checked all fuses and they are in great shape , but this has me blocked and i'm curious if anyone can help me as to why or how it can be fixed ? :mad: :cry: :confuse:
    Assume the lightbulbs are ok. Need to get a wiring diagram to trace the electrical system for he lights and to see if both are on the same circuit. Check to see if you have 12 volts at the light sockets. Probably not if the bulbs are ok. Then trace trhe wiring. But also check for ground problems. Make sure no corrosion on battery terminals and ground terminals under the hood.
  • pete61pete61 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 98 sunfire when i push on the brake the car stales but will start right back up if i keep the rpms up it will stay running and my abs light came on wont go off same as my air bag light can any one please help me out with this
    Follow up.
    Problem was the "back up" switch mounted on the tranny. Easy to get at. Pull the left front wheel and you see a wiring harnass going to the tranny. Problem is that the alluminum housing gives away on the switch. Switch still will read ok on ohmmeter. Replace switch!! And problem is solved.
  • schultelschultel Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I have a 99 Pontiac Sunfire. This week I noticed when I started my car on Monday morning that my odometer was gone! Its digital and it disappeared. It remained gone till Tuesday morning when I arrived at work. Luckily, I was going in for an oil change that day and I talked to the mechanic there. He was very curious about the year of my car and mileage. He proceeded to tell me that in one week he had two Pontiac Sunfires come in with electrical problems. One of them had to be sent to a salvage yard. He found out that GM decided to save money when making the cars and used aluminum wiring with just a copper coating. The wiring gets easily damaged and corrodes very quickly. He said that once you start having electrical problems it will continue till your car is no good. He suggested that I get rid of it as soon as possible. Has anyone heard about this? Or have experienced the same electrical problems?

And today my odometer is gone again! Will it return I do not know.
    Good Luck with your cars!
  • seve2seve2 Member Posts: 1
    one morning my wife and i started out for work she had put the fan on low, And the dome light came on. So the only thing i could do was to pull the bulb out so my battery would not go dead, for the time she was at work,I would love some help on this
  • hykelhykel Member Posts: 1
    hey folks, i just started to have some issues with my heater fan, sometimes it wirks awesome, and lately it will just kinda slowly stop blowing, and then you kick it and it fires up for a few more seconds, is it a relay or something or is my fan just dead, hoping someone can give me an idea cause i dont wanna spend alot of time working on it while its minus 20
    The way you describe it sounds like the fan is seizing (not sure about spelling) up. You have to take the fan out. Then disassemble the fan. Clean the bearrings and fan posts with alcohol rub. Add lubricant that is good for cold weather as well. Reassemble and reinstall. Bit of wrok but it works. Just make sure you have the right lube.Get that at an autopart place. Otherwise yo have to do it again next year.
    If the relay is dead nothing will work.
    Reverse lights. replace switch on tranny. Assume you have a 5 speed. switch is located in left side bottom of tranny. you have to pull front left wheel. Is easy visible and easy to replace. Old switch in aluminum housing and gives way.. New switch in copper housing.
  • brian52brian52 Member Posts: 5
    my lights on the dash all come on some times what would case that, also my abs and traction control lights are on
  • msokol87msokol87 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a 2000 pontiac sunfire SE last week, lucky me. Got it for a pretty cheap price, especially since it has 160K on the odometer. Runs fairly sound for the mileage and the engine is in check. However, aside from routine repairs like getting a couple blinkers replaced, I have found that my instrument cluster panel (i.e. all the guages) does not light up, at all. Additionally, neither does the odometer. I had it checked at a pontiac dealer garage (yea, expensive but they know their stuff) and found that they need to rip into the dash and rework computer/wiring behind there-- total cost of labor and parts: over 500 (total divided equally between labor/parts). Naturally, the quote was declined because I am merely a college student on limited funds. So, all that was done was that the computer was reprogrammed and they said that it will work now, but that it may shut off at any time in the future. In other words, I probably need to tote along a flashlight in the car at night "just in case."
    Question is: has anyone else had an issue such as this? If so, where did you get it fixed and how much did it cost you?? I personally think I am getting screwed in the whole matter, at least with repect to the labor costs.
  • lexieblexieb Member Posts: 6
    I have a 97 Pontiac Sunfire SE. My left signal light went out, so I had it replaced. Just a day after, it stopped working again. I put a new bulb on Thursday, and now, Saturday, it's busted yet again. It has a burnt smell, and the plastic at the bottom of the bulb seemed to have melted. What could the problem be? Any input would be much appreciated! Thank you! (By the way, I went to Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, and O'Reilly, looking for a socket, just in case that would solve the problem, and none of them carry the left signal socket.) :cry:
  • confused02confused02 Member Posts: 1
    Ok so here we are I have an 2002 sunfire with 71000 miles on it and i've been having electrical issues. I took the car in because the battery was always drained and i was told it needed an alternator. I had the alternator replaced and still the same issue. I had the alternator changed again and the battery. Still the same. The i had a pcm and some wiring done. I was told there a short some where . Still same issues now the check engine light, trac off light and service lights are on and the car still starts as if the battery is almost dead! Can anyone help me?
  • seventhlvlseventhlvl Member Posts: 2
    Sometimes a "short" or "grounded out" wire is not actually the problem, when it could seem like it's obviously it. a poorly grounded negative can be just as bad, if not worse causing harm to alternators, batteries, ignitions, computers, basically everything. Here's what you can do.

If you have any experience with electrical, and a voltage meter, then this could be easy. If you don't, then I'll try to explain it to you so you can explain it to someone else so they can say "wow that's easy."

Since you have a new alternator and a new battery, this should help you find out EXACTLY what's wrong with it and you can save a LOT of money with costly "let's see if this works" type repairs.

First off, take the voltometer, (not a test light, those are pointless at this point) and test the voltage of the battery with the engine off, between the two terminals. If it's above 11, you're fine. Wait an hour, then check the voltage again, if it has gone down say... more than half a volt, you've got a short circuit. if it hasn't changed more than a few hundreths of a volt, then so far so good.

Start the vehicle, and leave it running for the duration of these tests.

2. Test the voltage between the two battery terminals. If it's more than 13.8, you're ok, 14 and up is preferred. lower than 12 indicates a dead alternator, dead/dying battery, or a big electrical problem if those have been replaced already. If this is the case, bring your car to a parts store, most of them like Advance Auto and such will test these for free. If the voltage difference is below 13.5 it means you could have a bad ground or charging wire somewhere so we move on to step 3.

(Keep engine running)
    3. Now comes the fun part, test between the alternator's positive terminal, the one separate red wire coming off of the alternator housing, and the positive terminal on the battery. If there's a difference of more than .1 volts there's a problem with that wire. It's the one that charges the battery, and a common culprit.

4. Test between the frame (any unpainted bolt on the frame will do for this) and the negative battery terminal. Once again, a .1 volt difference is bad. This means that the negative battery terminal is not properly grounded to the frame.
    After that, test between the negative battery terminal and the engine block to test that wire. Just make sure it's an unpainted surface when testing.
    Lastly for the ground wires, test between the alternator housing and negative battery terminal. You're basically looking for a sharp increase in the voltage difference to indicate that the electricity isn't flowing between any of the grounded parts, the negative terminal, frame, engine, and alternator housing.

I replaced my battery, and my alternator, and the garages said "everything seems fine" but THIS was how I found out that I had a bad ground wire which gave me an increase in everything electrical after I fixed it, and solved the problems.

If it's not the wires, and you're getting 14+ volts between battery terminals, with less than the indicated differences in voltage, then the problem is not with your charging system, the electricity isn't getting to the spark plugs correctly. Ignition Coils on these go fairly quickly, but if you haven't replaced the spark plugs and wires yet, I'd go with that first, then get the ignition coil looked at if the problem persists.

Hope this helped, I had 2 dealerships and a garage tell me "generic electrical problems" and one gave me a huge estimate, but I fixed the problem myself with a 7 dollar cable from a parts store. If you're not having the same problem I did, then at least you know what it's not without having to "replace first, figure out problem later."
  • lestatleelestatlee Member Posts: 2
    coming from exp of installing audio systems it could be a short considering stock speakers are usually pieces of junk or just some loose wires i would up grade just go to walmart and get some new ones there probably going to be about 30-45 bucks but the extra money is worth it
    they will last and the sound will be so much better :)
    where is the thermostat on my 2001 sunfire 2.2 L
  • jsakjsak Member Posts: 7
    uhm i would start with following the hoses off of my radiator maybe? one of them might just lead you to it wouldnt one think?
  • pamelacopamelaco Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Pontiac Sunfire and there is a loud thumping sound in the dashboard above the glove compartment. this happens the entire time the car is on. Doesnt matter if the heat/air is on or off.
  • hellfiregt97hellfiregt97 Member Posts: 1
    car runs fine
    but when u switch from park to drive theres a small power drain i can see with the dash lights
    and then when u first touch the gas pedal its even a more of a power lose but the car still runs fine
    on my dash when this all happens my day lights flash my stereo turns on and off my brake light comes on air bag light and seat belt light. then after a couple of seconds everything is fine.....or if a hit a bump in the road... i know it seems like a short... but were im thinking around the trany or the trany ground... any ideas?
    how do you change the back abs sensor on a 2001 sunfire 2.2 liter
  • raph94raph94 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2002 sunfire 2.2L.when i start the car the headlights flash and then turn off and the service light came on. when i turn the headlight switch to on they don't work. all other lights on the car work including the drl and high beams. please help. what could the problem be.
  • bam5268bam1bam5268bam1 Member Posts: 1
    Recently my drivers side blinker and brake light have stopped working in my 2003 Sunfire. This is becoming a problem because I don't want to get pulled over for having a break light out. Does anyone have an ideas on how to fix it? I thought it was the bulb, but if you play with the bulb it will go on as long as your holding it in a certain spot. Is this a common problem? Whats an easy fix?
  • sarahsunfiresarahsunfire Member Posts: 3
    :mad: Everytime it gets hot in the car the gas gauge messes up....it points to the mph instead of the other way to show me how much gas it has in it... It happens almost everyday and i'm gettin tired of it...does anyone know anything about this?? Its a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire....Thanks
  • nutt318nutt318 Member Posts: 1
    I am having this same issue, does anyone know where to start on this. Strange thing is that the dash lights haven't work in a while. So i decided to pull out the dimmer switch to check if any wires have come loose. In the mean time the mileage has always shown when the lights are off.

Nothing looked bad or out of place so I plugged the wire harness back onto the dimmer switch and started the car. Now the mileage wont light up at all.

Not sure where to begin or what wires to look for. Please help, thanks.
  • dawnyadieseldawnyadiesel Member Posts: 6
    I'm having the same problems with my 05 Sunfire. Any problems with the tack? Mine stopped working. I bought this car brand new... 56K on it. Anyone answered back yet?
  • dawnyadieseldawnyadiesel Member Posts: 6
    my 05 has the same issue, except the clunking comes from under the glove compartment. i found out its the recirculatory fan and if you keep the a/c-heat thing on the recirculating setting, the noise stops
    I have no problems with with the tack or fuel gauge.I have 217 thousand klms on my car now.I was told when I bought the car not to use Shell gas it gums up the line.I do not now if that is true or not, but I do not use it.My sunfire is a 2001.
  • mugens2kmugens2k Member Posts: 1
    My gf's 2004 Sunfire is having the same issue. We just got it from a dealership 2 weeks ago with 36K miles on it and the fuel gauge needle goes into the speedometer and gets stuck. Also the temp gauge needle goes into the speedometer and hits the 0 on the speedometer and causes the RPM needle to get stuck.

Also the reverse lights don't come on, she has a manual.

This car has too low miles to be having issues like this, no wonder GM has such a bad rep, this is horrible!

Any help would be appreciated
  • hal1046hal1046 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2001 pontiac sunfire and when i am driving the interior lights keep going on and off doors are all closed
    Well i solved the gauge problem pretty well i just went and got another spedometer from a junk yard and put it in now it works just fine....The reverse lights not coming on might mean that the switch or whatever in the tranny is broke or stuck...so i wish ya'll good luck
    and the interior lights might be because the clip on the trunk might be broken or loose or somethin...but i'm just guessin good luck