Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dlepschdlepsch Member Posts: 1
    I understand the warranty is 8 yrs or 100,000 miles on the batteries unless you buy a Prius in a CARB state. California Air Resources Board (CARB). Then the battery warranty is 10 yrs or 150,000 miles. There are 4 CARB states I think what are the other three CARB states? dlepsch@embarqmail.com

Also which states have no sales tax?
  • blackjack3blackjack3 Member Posts: 11
    Here is what I got at Toyota of Morristown: Package #6 for 36 months, 15k/yr. $300 per month with zero down, other than first month lease payment.
  • dmkayedmkaye Member Posts: 2
    $300 for 36 months?

I was told it would be in the high 300s

Did that include taxes? Did you finalize the deal and, if so, recently?

Can you share the cap cost, residual value, money factor, etc.

Seems to me your price is very cheap. You are a better negotiator than me!
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    Hi, new to prius from volvo, looking at 2007 prius package 2 one owner 18,500 miles for 18,900 asking private seller. What is going rate??
    Thx
    Lori

Hi Lori, here in New Hampshire you can buy a brand new Prius pkg #2 for about $20,800 if you haggle with the dealer.
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    Also which states have no sales tax?

My State, New Hampshire has no sales tax. But you pay sales tax in the State you register the car in not the State you buy it. But here in New Hampshire they hit you with Registration fees. I paid $600 to register my 2009 Honda Fit Sport. So no tax but they still get your money. :sick:
  • jweaver39jweaver39 Member Posts: 15
    just purchased a package#2 with backup camera for 22500 at reinhardt toyota in montgomery,al. traded in 08 corrolla owed 10000 the gave me 12500 so my out the door price with trade in was 20000.
  • aconsumeraconsumer Member Posts: 3
    "just purchased a package#2 with backup camera for 22500 at reinhardt toyota in montgomery,al. traded in 08 corrolla owed 10000 the gave me 12500 so my out the door price with trade in was 20000. "

So you trade in your 08 Corolla for only $2500.00 net? It sounds like the dealer got a super deal.
  • jakshajaksha Member Posts: 2
    Here's a breakdown of a dealer's "good offer" for a 2009 Pkg 2 with leather.
    What do you think?

MSRP -- 27521
    "Invoice" -- 25760
    Rebate -- 1000
    Addtl discount -- 600

Total -- 24160

The "invoice" includes such things as...
    T.M.F. -- 743?
    Holdbacks -- 608
    Port options -- 1139?
    Deliver/Processing/Handling -- 775

What can we eliminate?
    Thanks!
  • godigigodigi Member Posts: 3
    I live in Seattle too. I just bought one in for 22k OTD(09 package2). If you have better negotiation skills and more time I think you can get a better deal. In my case, I only spent two days in the whole process... Good luck!
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    Is pkg#6 the only way to get leather trimmed seats in the standard Prius?
  • dreamcar5dreamcar5 Member Posts: 69
    Is it possible for you to list the detail? I heard $21,500 OTD. Wonder if you can name the dealer?
  • godigigodigi Member Posts: 3
    I bought it from Toyota of Seattle. OTD price is $22,000 everything included. So the price before TTL is about $21,800.
  • jckjck Member Posts: 3
    does OTD mean including taxes and fees?
  • spidey126spidey126 Member Posts: 9
    man, i feel duped, does it make sense anymore to buy a 2009, knowing you can get a 2010 for a even sweeter deal?
  • galileo5galileo5 Member Posts: 10
    Will the 2009 Prius continue to go on sale when the 2010 is on the market so Toyota can combat the Insight?

I know this is happening in Japan now, and was curious if the US were following suit.

Daniel
  • czangoczango Member Posts: 1
    Car_man
    Do you know the money factor & residual for an '09 Prius for a 36 mo. lease at 15K miles?

Thank you!
  • sacramento2sacramento2 Member Posts: 18
    knowing you can get a 2010 for a even sweeter deal?

Hey spidey126, what "sweeter deal" are you talking about for 2010?
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    from the 2010 discussion: I agree 2009 prices need to drop another 1-2000 to make them more attractive.

Model / Pkg 2010 vs 2009 ( after $1000 rebate )

1221 .... $21750 vs Not Avail

1223 .... $22750 vs $23300 Pkg 2

1225 .... $23750 vs $24500 Pkg 4
    1225 .... $25500 vs $25200 Pkg 5 ( w/ Navi )
    1225 .... $27300 vs Not Avail ( Navi + SR )

1227 .... $26500 vs Not Avail ( Leather No Navi )
    1227 .... $28300 vs $26300 Pkg 6 ( Leather w/ Navi )
    1227 .... $30100 vs Not Avail ( Leather, Navi, SR )

1229 .... $28000 vs Not Avail
    1229 .... $19800 vs Not Avail
    1229 .... $32500 vs Not Avail

The high volume lower priced models are ultra competitive vs the 2009s....not to mention the Insight II. Currency issues have mostly disappeared it seems.
  • sacramento2sacramento2 Member Posts: 18
    bamacar, thanks!
  • bostonbenbostonben Member Posts: 71
    Hi car_man, I am looking for this information as well. I am in Boston, MA.

Also, do you know how TFS adds on additional miles as a pre-pay? Is there a discounted rate if you pre-pay? Or is it the same as paying for overages in the end? Thank you.
  • blackjack3blackjack3 Member Posts: 11
    Yes, 300/month includes taxes. However, I neglected to mention an important factor. I had a trade-in that reduced the cap cost by 2,746. Final cap cost was 24,818 and resid value was 16,251 (58.4% of gross cap cost). I hope this helps and sorry I forgot the trade-in.
  • animuleanimule Member Posts: 1
    Hello. We received an initial offer from World Toyota: $24K, plus taxes and fees. This supposedly includes a $1000 rebate from Toyota. I used USAA's car buying service and they indicated an invoice of $20,938. With Package 3 and floor mats, the cost from USAA came to $22,221, plus taxes and fees. Ideally, I would like to pay $22K, with taxes and fees included in that price. Is that reasonable?

Also, regarding negotiations, should I start low and try to meet in the middle? Or should I simply say, this is what I want to pay and let them either say yes or no?

Thanks!!
    In My opinion, if you can wait for another 2-3 months, wait because the 2010s offer much much more.

if you can't wait, then that looks like a pretty decent price. you could probably go down another 500 if you haggle some more...
  • truckman99truckman99 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to all of the folks who have posted here. The information is very helpful. To add to the knowledge base, I purchased a 2009 Touring Prius, package 3, with leather and mats for $26,500. I did not purchase an extended warranty. I did not trade in another vehicle. The price includes all taxes, title, etc., i.e., I wrote a check for $26,500.
  • rt66hovrt66hov Member Posts: 1
    Warrenton Toyota, Warrenton Va...two weeks ago...two hours start to finish transaction.
  • intotheohintotheoh Member Posts: 10
    I made an offer of $22,300 after $750 local WA state rebate for a 2009 package 3 and the dealer looked at me like I was special. Am I completely off base?

I came to that # after studying the price points of the 2010 insite and prius and what I felt the car was worth.

WA state also has no sales tax right now.
  • dogsonboarddogsonboard Member Posts: 23
    Spidey, I think you're in the ballpark; a quick check of fitzmall.com (back East, so no Pkg 3's) shows $21.6-21.7 for Pkg 2, so add another $1K or so for Pkg #3 price in mid-high $22's. $22.3 is not an unreasonable offer at all.

Am betting "special" look is an attempt to get you to back down...I get that one all the time. ;) But it also may mean they're just not going to play ball at or near that price, which is their right, in which case...

Wonder what would happen if you e-mailed / faxed a few other dealers and asked for their best price on a pkg 3, citing Insight price and Prius 2010 features / prices.

(I too am in WA and have one OR dealer who's *really* eager to earn my business -- emails me every 12 seconds or so.)

In priuschat.com, a Toyota dealer hints broadly at add'l Toyota incentives coming May 4th (next week), so for that reason (and others) I'm sitting tight for now.

dogs
    Thank you for this great fizmall.com. I am looking for P2 for a while, the $20 to $21K + Tax +title is in my range. I went to the local dealer, they played "chicken little" game with me, $22.8K + Tax + Title, I know some one will come out the better price. The dealer WILL NOT lose a dime even it is sold for $18K. The average was $3500/car profit for hybrids.

If I can wait for 2 months, and this economy has no improvement, $19K is not unreasonable. :D
  • bogglemombogglemom Member Posts: 2
    I purchased an "09/pkg2 at Fitzgerald's in Gaithersburg, MD for 21,049 including freight +tax, tags and title. No haggle. The price was a little lower than they were advertising since this particular car had been on the lot for over 30 days. I guess the beige color is not too popular. Paid cash, transaction was easy, no pressure although they did offer me all kinds of extra services/products, which I declined. Love it so far.
  • antonio1antonio1 Member Posts: 27
    Could you tell us your price plus freight? :)
  • bogglemombogglemom Member Posts: 2
    21,045 was including freight. Tax tags and title were additional, didin't add them since all states have different rates.
  • rbk3rbk3 Member Posts: 34
    A dealer told me the rebate on the 09 Prius is now 2750. Anyone else hear anything? He said it took effect today!
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    Well since they are expecitng the new 2010 in early June I'm guessing they really don't want a lot full of 09's in a month sitting by the new model. It's actually a good thing that a lot of Prius buyers are not really "into" cars because with the new Prius coming out and the current economy downturn, the 09's and their now decent discount pricing is a great buy.
  • oldsargoldsarg Member Posts: 21
    After driving the Prius for two years, due to the sub-standard engineering that I deal with on a daily basis, the Prius should be in the $12-15,000 price range. Both Hundai and Kia have sweeter deals. Even the insurance on a Prius is higher than a full sized car, about $240 more per year.
  • billw1billw1 Member Posts: 3
    I've gotten a lot of help from the people on this web site and want to pay it forward, so I will share my experience today buing a car. I live in a suburb of Boston and wanted to buy from a dealer within a .5 hour drive -- the closer the better. I sent the following email (which I copied from an earlier post) to seven local area dealers:

have been researching Prius pricing and the following invoice prices appear to be in effect for the Prius plus Package 2:

Base Invoice $21,758
    Dest 720
    Package #2 158
    Cash back -1000
    Invoice Prius Base with Package 2 – cash back = $21,636

Since the invoice does not reflect the actual dealer cost (due to holdbacks, wholesale financial reserve etc.) some online customers have reported paying $21,500 plus tax.title/registration for the 2009 Prius with package #2.

We have financing and no trade-in. We would like to purchase a 2009 with package 2 for $21,500 plus tax/title/registration. Our top two color choices are Seadside Pearl and Barcelona Red. We are ready to buy the car now. Please contact me if you can honor this price. Thank you!

Within an hour, five dealers had written back saying they would sell me a 2009 Prius with Package #2 for $21,500 plus tax and TDR. Most of them, however, made the offer contingent on my taking a car of their lot, which did not include the colors I wanted. I then wrote back to all of them asking for the lowest price they would give me on the color I wanted (Barcelona Red exterior, grey interior). After a bit of back and forth, I eventually got offers ranging from $21,000 to $21,300. I actually wound up going with the highest offer ($21,300) because it was from a dealer right near where I live who has an excellent reputation (vs. the lowest offer, which was from a dealer a 1/2 hour away with a terrible reputation). I put down a deposit of $500 and am supposed to get the car on Tuesday. I'll report back if anything goes wrong.

A few observations:

Now is obviously an excellent time to buy a 2009 Prius! The only reason to hold out is the possiblity of even greater incentives; I think we should all know on Monday whether those are coming. It will be too late for me to take advantage of them, but not too late for you.

I did all of my negotiating by email. Although the dealers were ringing my phone off the hook all day long, I did not answer, because I saw no point in wasting time on phone conversations. I knew exactly what I wanted and find email much more convenient and time-efficient.

You can probably get the lowest deal I was offered -- $21,000 -- from any dealer in the Boston area. More important, if you are willing to take a car off their lot (most of them have lots of silver and white models), you could probably get an even lower price. I didn't bargain very hard because I find it tiresome, and even so, the price dropped to $21,000 - $21,300 almost immediately.

Good luck to all!
  • 3c33c3 Member Posts: 76
    After driving my Prius for more than a year, if I have to buy another car today, it would definitely be another Prius. I have no problem with my insurance rate, which is $100/year more than my previous car Pontiac Vibe.
  • roy2001roy2001 Member Posts: 62
    oldsarg, can you elaborate which kind of engineering problems you are dealing with? Especially on daily base.
  • roy2001roy2001 Member Posts: 62
    [Q]A dealer told me the rebate on the 09 Prius is now 2750. Anyone else hear anything? He said it took effect today! [/Q]

Do you mean we can expect to pay invoice price - $2750 + dealer mark up?
    Please post the dealer's name if possible, I would like to have one @ $21k.

Thanks
  • hottmusichottmusic Member Posts: 11
    I bought a new 09 Prius last week at the 36 month 0% finance deal, only to find out yesterday about the 60 month 0% deal. Has anyone had luck in getting Toyota dealers and/or Toyota finance to rewrite their loan to be able to take advantage of the better deal? I spoke with someone who said there might be a way for the dealer to buy back the car and resell it at the better deal. Any ideas?

Thanks
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    If they buy it back and resell it to you it will be a used car and the 0% probably woulnd't apply. I can't imagine dealers altering deals and the nightmare that would cause them.
  • bodomobodomo Member Posts: 3
    does Cash for Clunkers program apply to Toyota Prius??
    I am trying to decide between 09 Prius at 0% financing (that is some savings!!)
    or to wait for 10 Prius. If I could get Cash for Clunkers for trading in my Toyota 4Runner, that would even be sweeter!
  • mentholmenthol Member Posts: 1
    Could you share your OTD price for 09 Prius? What package?
    Thanks!
  • oldsargoldsarg Member Posts: 21
    I have posted all of the engineering issues that I have dealt with on the Prius forum which are extensive. The bottom line is I bought the car for good gas mileage only. Since Toyota, Edmunds, the EPA, and many Prius bloggers deliberately lied about the true gas mileage for my 2007 Prius, I feel cheated. I had a German specs 1984 Honda Civic that did get 60 mpg. I bought it 2 years old with over 100,000 miles on it. I drove and punished it on the German autobahn for another 100,000 miles and sold it to a soldier in 1989. He fixed the severe salt damage and was still driving it when I visited him in 1995. There is no comparison to the superior engineering of the Civic in every respect. There are many cars that have been produced throughout the years that get great gas mileage, so why the hype about the Prius?

The real issue is that political hacks have touted the Prius as the savior of the world. The fact is, political hacks have very little knowledge about much of anything much less what will save the world. The pursuit of knowledge in a free world without political hacks is the real savior. Try it, you will like it.
  • hottmusichottmusic Member Posts: 11
    I paid $26,374 plus tax and title of $1863 for a total of $28487, for a package 6.
  • bbttbbtt Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    is there any good dealership to recommend around bay area, CA?
    what's the buying price
    i get a quote for package#5 for $23676, TTL not included....
    no good deal on pacakge#2 rite now... which i'm interested..
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi czango. Toyota's lease program varies by region. You never mentioned what state you are in so for now I'll take a stab in the dark and guess that you are in Toyota's New York region. Let me know if you live somewhere else.

Toyota Financial Services' current New York region buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Prius with 15,000 miles per year are an extremely attractive .00001 (that's as good as it gets) and 61%, respectively.

Keep in mind though that TFS places restrictions upon what options can be residualized. As a result, it is difficult for people who don't work at dealers (and even some people who do ;) ) to figure out what the actual dollar residual values should be for specific units.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi bostonben. I haven't seen Toyota's lease program for the Prius in the Boston area yet, but I'll make some calls and see what I can find out. The money factors for Toyota vehicles vary by region, but the residual value percentages are national.

Most banks provide lessees with a discount if they purchase additional miles on a per-mile basis at lease signing. If they didn't no one would buy them. I suspect that Toyota Financial Services does this, but I don't know exactly how much of a discount it offers for pre-paid mileage.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Bodomo,

I am in the same boat as you. I feel it is still better to wait for the 2010s compared to the 0% for 50 month deal. Once the 2010s start rolling in, the resale value of the 2009 are going to take a deep dive. 2010s get better mileage and have rigid gas tank. So you can probably put a little acetone in the tank everytime you fill up and get 10-20% more mileage! . But I think maybe in another 2-3 yrs, Prius retrofits or conversions for adding lithiom ion batteries will be much cheaper than they currently are.
  • peachtreepeachtree Member Posts: 2
    Hello bbtt,

Is the quote $23676 for package#5 on base model? The invoice is $24470 according to Edmunds.com. So you are getting $794 below invoice. Is this right? Does the quote already have manufacturer rebate counted? Can you let me know the dealership name?

Thanks very much
This discussion has been closed.