Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Congratulations! You did very well. And the icing on the cake is that you have a $1575 Federal tax credit also.
  • Options
    xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi Jlalor:

Edmunds is showing the Invoice of an 07 Prius II w/ package 6 and dest. at $26,188. Did your price include tax or some dealer installed accessories? A friend of mine picked up an 06 Prius II (no packages) for a few hundred over invoice 4 months ago. Another is seriously looking for an 07 at this time.

Thanks in advance.

Wayne R. Gerdes
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    Hi, Wayne....

Long time, no see... :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    jlalorjlalor Member Posts: 3
    Hi Wayne!

Ok, here are the details. It was a fully loaded touring model, and we got to it before they put any of the dealer installed junk on it... it didn't even have floor mats! MSRP was $29,470. I show "Invoice" here on Edmunds as $26,440. On the dealer's computer system, it showed their cost as $27,179, and he gave it to me at $27,379.

Toss in TTL, and subtract a little $400 credit for being a recent college grad, and I walked away for just under $29,000. I've always felt that if I can drive off the lot for a total that is less than the sticker price, then I'm in good shape, especially for a Prius. I'm also quite happy seeing that Edmunds' TMV price is $31,730 in my area! On top of all that, I still get a $1,575 tax credit... I'm happy :)

Most of the dealers I went to weren't going below MSRP, and a couple were still charging their "Market Value Adjustment" of up to $2,500. Now is probably the best time to buy a Prius, if you can make the right deal. Just check local Toyota websites for deals, like this employee pricing special I found. Also, there's a dealer in Florida that negotiates great prices, and they will deliver any of their in-stock Prius to you for free anywhere in the 48 contiguous states... http://www.earlstewart.com/prius.htm

One final note... I saw a fully loaded 2006 Prius at a Toyota lot... about 4 months old, only 2,900 miles, and the lowest I could talk them down was $25,990 (and there's no tax credit). If you include the credit, I ended up with a brand new one for less than that ;)

Take care!

Jonathan
  • Options
    cruising7388cruising7388 Member Posts: 125
    The Edmunds invoice is not accurate because they strip the advertising component from the invoice price they post. The advertising increment amounts to about $700. What is slightly hilarious is that, by and large, the Prius is not advertised so you are paying for the advertising costs of other Toyota vehicles you aren't buying.
  • Options
    pvsurferpvsurfer Member Posts: 50
    As a Costco member, I got their referral to my local dealer who told me that the Costco deal was $100 off MSRP on any Prius. Does anyone here know if that's about as good a deal as I can get (on a Touring model) in So Cal? I'm in the So Bay area.

And like some other recent posts, I'm also finding Edmunds MSRP & Invoice prices to be considerably less than what I'm seeing at the dealership!
  • Options
    Walk away from that deal as fast as your legs will take you. The Prius market has softened dramatically with the reduction in the tax credit and the modest drop in fuel costs. Looking in the paper here, Novato Toyota is advertising the touring model for $1000 off MSRP. I suspect that if you went in there with a take it or leave it offer, you might even do better.

Ask the dealer to show you the dealer invoice for the Prius you are interested. It will include advertising costs which is legitimate. It will also include the dealer hold back figure to which you should take exception since it is returned to the dealer after the sale.

If you can't get a SOCAL dealer to deal squarely with you, direct your focus into the sticks. Last year, after being shined on by NORCAL bay area dealers I dealt with Toyota in Placerville via the internet and was treated respectfully. They emailed me the dealer invoice for the Prius in which I was interested and we worked it out from there.
  • Options
    As a Costco member, I got their referral to my local dealer who told me that the Costco deal was $100 off MSRP on any Prius

I'm a Costco member but I would not use their auto purchase program. Their program is for lazy people who want to stumble into a dealer and buy a car that day. That approach is for losers. The cost-effective way to buy a vehicle is to make the connection and get the commitment by internet before ever stepping into the dealers shop.
  • Options
    pvsurferpvsurfer Member Posts: 50
    First of all, thanks for the replies and guidance. Costco is just my first indication of 'Prius deals' (and judging from your responses, it stinks)!

Help me out a little more here... I visited 2 different Toyota dealers and noticed the selling price of every Prius included some unexpected items. ...I'd really appreciate your take on them:

Pref'd Accessory Pkg....... 277.00
    Rear Bumper Applique....... 65.00
    TDA ............................... 247.00
    Dealer Holdback ............. 443.00
    Whsl. Financial Res......... 221.00
  • Options
    dngo18dngo18 Member Posts: 2
    Purchasing a Magnetic Grey Prius with Package 2 this week in the San Francisco Bay Area. Fleet departments offered the following prices:23,235, 23,169, and 23,100. Is this good?
  • Options
    joannerjoanner Member Posts: 10
    That is better than what I am paying. I just purchased a 2007 Silver Prius with package 2 for $23,296 at Earl Stewart Toyota in North Palm Beach, FL. They would not come down on their price. Out the door price with taxes, tag, etc., is $24,985.37.
  • Options
    riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    The lucky people who live in in the South East Toyota ("SET") distributor region pay an extra $634 "SET Administration Fee", as well as an extra $55 "SET Destination Charge".

That might account for some of the difference.
  • Options
    kingsley1kingsley1 Member Posts: 3
    I went to test drive the Prius + the Honda Civic Hybrid yesterday - I liked the Prius better. I ended up buying a Prius without doing as much homework as I should and I am wondering if I got ripped off - can anyone comment? I paid for a package #6 -
    $29344 msrp
    including Sirius satellite radio + the woodgrain interior

I also bought the additional platinum service coverage for $2495 (looking arouond this seems high)
    I bought Lojack for $595

I live in Southern Califonia

Not that I can do much now, but I would appreciate some feedback.
  • Options
    philmophilmo Member Posts: 77
    Our Toyota dealer (Colorado) offered us the Platinum package for $990 through the end of the year. If you in fact paid MSRP for what's on the sticker then you're pretty much in the middle of the pack. There are reports of prices slightly discounted from MSRP on the west coast while folks in the southeast are still paying overages attributed to dubious items that, for some reason, exist only in their regions.
  • Options
    Well, you paid full squash for the Prius. Not much to be done about that. But $2495 for the extended service contract is an Olympic class ripoff. This contract is available in the market place (7 years/70,000miles, no deductible) for under $1000. At least this you can do something about. You have 30 days to rescind that contract from hell. It is specified in the agreement itself and it provides for a full refund. After that period, the refund is prorates. Be sure to send your cancellation instruction via certified mail - addressee acknowledgement so that you can prove they received your instruction prior to the 30 day period. Then Google Toyota of Greenfield Massachusetts
    to get a reasonable price for the extended warranty.
  • Options
    kingsley1kingsley1 Member Posts: 3
    I went back today & they gave me an $1150 credit for the warranty. Is $1300 still too much to pay for the 6 year/100000mile/zero deductible?
  • Options
    riotchriotch Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I just bought a 2007 Prius HK package (6cd changer, anti-theft, smart key etc...)
    $26,700 out the door includes CA TAX 8.25%

I supposedly have 3 days to return the car, and might do so, appears I overpaid by about 1K.

Anyone have thoughts on the platinum package and prepaid maintenance? 75K miles Platinuum for $1,845
    Maintenca package through 3rd major service for $1,500

Thanks very much!
    Rich
  • Options
    takopokitakopoki Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2007 Prius Touring Edition Package 6 for $27,300, which was about $600 over invoice.

If anyone is wondering, the two Toyota dealerships in Southern California that seemed to provide the best prices were Toyota of Orange (in the City of Orange, California)and Longo Toyota (in El Monte, California).

In fact, I just got an email from Toyota of Orange offering deals on Priuses (?) for 6-700 over invoice.

I, too, was wondering what others thought of the platinum package they offered and if it was worth it.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    jaypel2520jaypel2520 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a silver package #6 at Toyota of North Hollywood yesterday. I went through the Internet Sales department. The sticker price was $29422 which included just a couple of dealer-add ons. They then knocked $1000 off. So, the price of the car ended up being $28422. I think it was an o.k. deal. I didn't haggle with them much beyond that.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Maintenance package is a loser IMO

The Platinum package can be purchased for under $1000 for a 7/100,000 no deductible policy. There is no penalty for delaying the purchase up to and until the basic warranty expires.
  • Options
    treehugger44treehugger44 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,
    Just bought a Silver Touring package 5 for $1800 off MSRP, added leather and heated seats for $1590 and tint for $180. The dealer had 4 in stock, surrounding dealers had a few on the ground as well. (Denver area)
    Can't wait to get it! (they're installing leather and tint)
  • Options
    I was offered the platinum 7/100 for $890, didn't take it though, will wait for manufacturer warranty to come due, they'll sell it for the same price then.
  • Options
    $890 is an excellent price for 7/100. Remember, however, that there are two versions. One has a $50 deductible and the other is a 0 deductible. Which one was offered for that price. Although the cost of this extended warranty has been relatively stable over the past few years, there is no guarantee that it will be available at this price when the standard warranty is about to expire.
  • Options
    catmandocatmando Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a package 2. Edmunds shows the MSRP to be $23,970 + TTL. My best offer so far is $23,724.00 + TTL that includes floormats and nothing else. Central Texas area. Anyone seeing better around or from where I can get it shipped for free?
  • Options
    It was the $0 deductible. I knew the sales manager at the dealership and used to work in automotive finance, so I was able to get great deals on the entire purchase. I believe the $890 was about $100 over their cost. Definitely a great deal, but I'm notorious for switching cars less than 3 years apart so the service contract could be wasted on me :)
  • Options
    virgilgvirgilg Member Posts: 6
    We bought a Prius yesterday from McEleney in Clinton, Iowa. We have a Touring with navigation, exactly how my wife wanted. Price was about $27,000. Really great people! We have had a wonderful experience buying this car. Highly recommend them.

Virgil.
  • Options
    No, it's not really wasted. You have two options:

1. At the time you sell the car, the warrantee can be transferred to the new owner which gives it market value at the time of sale.

2. You can cancel the contract even after the 30 day period. The 30 day period provides for a complete refund.
    After that, the refund is prorated.
  • Options
    runonmd1runonmd1 Member Posts: 11
    Great deal, takopoki!

Did the price of $27,300 include the delivery charge? What was the final price with tax and license, "out the door," if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Richard
    runonmd1@aol.com
  • Options
    fastlane1fastlane1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm a plain Jane who wants a base model Prius ... no packages, no accessories ... but have never negotiated for a car in the past. The best deal I can find is $21,188 which is a dealer newspaper ad. The ad says this price includes the $139 document fee. There would be an additional fee of $125 for delivery ... the dealer is about 2.5 hours away in New Hampshire. This dealer had 3 base models on their lot last week. Their website now shows 4. The invoice price on Edmunds shows $21,039. MSRP is $22,795

Now the 20 questions :) Is this a good deal? Is it fair to ask for a copy of their invoice? Do you think there is room for negotiation? Is there any advantage to buying before the end of the year? Has anyone had experience with Berlin City in New Hampshire? If they share their dealer invoice, what's a fair amount to offer them above their costs?

Their ad is in effect until 12/31. A new ad will arrive in our Friday newspaper.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice you can offer.
  • Options
    gilnashgilnash Member Posts: 19
    Our local dealer is advertising $2,000 off MSRP plus $300 doc fee, so actually $1,700 off MSRP on Prius.
    Consider using good old American free market competition. Visit the Toyota web site & get email addresses of dealers in your part of the country. Email those dealers, requesting a price quote for the specific model, options, color, etc that you are interested in. Ask that the quote include all fees. If you have the time and energy, you might go a second round, asking if the dealers are willing to beat your lowest bid. Good luck!
  • Options
    rockefellarockefella Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a Prius Package #2 (Silver) from Toyota of Marina Del Rey last night. Here's the deal I negotiated, and would appreciate feedback on:

Invoice: $22,382
    MSRP: $23,970
    OTD: $24,739.48

Cash Price: $22,582 ($200 over invoice)
    Doc Prep fee: $45 (this is annoying [non-permissible content removed] but they wouldn't get rid of this)
    Sales Tax: $1,866.73 (California charges a lot!)
    DMV Electronic Filing Fee: $28 (get tags in 90 days instead of 3-6 months)
    License Fee: $146 (DMV fee)
    Reg/Transfer/Titling Fee: $63 (DMV fee)
    CA Tire Fee: $8.75

Total Out the Door: $24,739.48

I had a good experience at the dealership, although there was some fairly hard bargaining involved. In the end, I feel like I got a fair deal.

So what do people think?
  • Options
    mimiatamimiata Member Posts: 8
    I was offered a 5/60000 for $2200 when I bought the Prius yesterday.
    Should have done more research on this forum, but I did not do too badly at a package 2 for $23,535 plus ttl.
    After reading info on this forum, it sounded like I could do better...like $900 for a 7/1000
    Where can I get something like this?

Anyone, please reply.

Steve
  • Options
    mimiatamimiata Member Posts: 8
    Sounds like a good deal for me.
    Where can I look to find something similar to "insure" my Prius.

I am seasrching for maintenance contracts, but I am upwards of $1850 for what you are describing

Thanks

Steve
  • Options
    guestguest Member Posts: 770
    For openers there is precious little advantage in buying the extended warranty until the end of the three year warranty aproaches. If you are determined to do this now:

1. Contact Greenfield Toyota in Massachusetts and get a current quote on a 7/100,000 no deductible policy

2. Contact the dealer where you purchased the contract and give them the opportunity to meet that price. If they won't do that, you have 30 days to cancel the contract for a complete refund. The language in the contract is explicit in how you accomplish this. Any communications you send in this regard should be via Certified mail so that if necessary, you have proof of timely delivery of the cancellation notice.
  • Options
    dngo18dngo18 Member Posts: 2
    I think you did well, about $600 better. I also just got package 2 a couple weeks ago up in SF area and ended paying $23,000 for the car. Taxes and various fees were similar as well.
  • Options
    eprupiseprupis Member Posts: 30
    West Ashley Toyota in Charleston, SC is adverising 10 Prius in stock. I know nothing about any experience in buying a car there, but their service on my Prius bought elsewhere has been excellent.
  • Options
    palms20palms20 Member Posts: 2
    Hello there, I'm thinking of buying a Prius. Problem is that I ascend steep hills twice a week for several miles up. My wife is concerned that the Prius won't do the job/ I have'nt seen one comment about its ability on the hills. Thanx.
  • Options
    The first day I got our Prius I drove home west from Denver up I-70. Right around the Lookout Mountain Road exit is where the men are separated by the boys and the semis put on their flashers. Two guys in a manly-man Ford F150 were doing their best in the left lane but it wasn't good enough so I passed them on the right. They had enough good humor to point at me passing them and start laughing. I rendered a fare-thee-well wave and moved along approaching 75 mph. The overall climb for me on this stretch is 7.5 miles and ends up at 7600 ft. ASL.
  • Options
    palms20palms20 Member Posts: 2
    sounds great. A few questions:
    1. how long have you owned it and has this level of performance persisted?
    I live outside of US. People are afraid to buy the prius because its an iunknown and cars here are expensive, sells for 35000+. 8 year warranty on the electric engine, but time passes quicky.
    2. Has there been enough experience in the States to allay fears of high expenses down the line?
    3. I understand from the forum that the 2007 has some improvements. Are they significant?

Many thanks for your comment/s
  • Options
    I'll leave most the input for some others who've owned the car longer as we've had ours a month and 800 miles -- in cold to colder weather. From what I gather here at Carspace we can expect somewhat better performance when things warm up.

The current basic design has been around since 2004 so it seems odd that the car is considered "unknown" where you are. Recent changes include a Touring package with firmer suspension and full curtain airbags as standard, among other things.

For just a little more money --relative to whatever they're asking where you live -- you might consider the Camry hybrid which is getting excellent reviews -- including that of my brother-in-law. who's had his a couple of weeks. That might be the way to go for a more traditional approach -- and to get a trunk.
  • Options
    riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    "Prices Paid and Buying Experience" is the subject of this thread, folks....
  • Options
    And managing the thread is the job of the host(s).

Perhaps your remark is better directed to the party that initiated the query. If the ocassionally tangential responses rendered are seen more as a nuisance than contributing to the ongoing development of the community then I'll withdraw.

In a nutshell--
    Buying experience was effortless.
    Paid MSRP
    Got the model/color I wanted in 4 days.
    Nothing more to add.
    Adios.
  • Options
    south4south4 Member Posts: 32
    Is anyone buying Prius in SC? The dealer here said he was giving me $100 over invoice ,but his printout of the invoice listed $675 in delivery,processing and handing AND $610 for"Southeast Toyota Administrative Fee" OVER and above the base cost of $20,419 plus $4133 for pkg 5. I would REALLY appreciate hearing from recent southeast Prius buyers about these charges. When I questioned the "delivery and handling as already covered in the Edmunds number(it has it as $620), the guy said it was a different fee. I should have walked away, but I didn't. I think SC gives you 3 days to cancel. Any feedback would be great. Is this a good pkg 5 price for the area? south4
  • Options
    joannerjoanner Member Posts: 10
    Yes, your dealer is correct. I was told the same when I was looking in Florida by my dealer (and I did make the purchase). When I questioned it on this forum, this was the response:

riposte Dec 14, 2006 (4:59 am)
    Replying to: joanner (Dec 14, 2006 4:14 am)

The lucky people who live in in the South East Toyota ("SET") distributor region pay an extra $634 "SET Administration Fee", as well as an extra $55 "SET Destination Charge".
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply. Does $27,102 sound good for a pkg 5 (that's before our tax,tag fees)? I'm unhappy to hear that $665 of that is due to being in a southern state!
  • Options
    Was $27,000 your out the door price or were there document, taxes, tags added on to that? Thanks.
  • Options
    wong3wong3 Member Posts: 2
    Here in The San Francisco bay area, there seems to be a glut of new Prius. All dealers boast lots of car in stock. An example of ad in today's newspaper from Toyota Sunnyale (I am not specifically recommedning this or any dealer) ...

120 2007 Prius in stock.

30 Pkg 2 (HG) $22,998 (MSRP $24169 - $1171)
    25 Pkg 4 (HK) $24,998 ($26174 - $1176)
    54 Pkg 5 (NL) $26,998 ($28074 - $1076)
  • Options
    wong3wong3 Member Posts: 2
    Another ad from Piercey Toyota ...

62 Prius in stock

41 (Pkg 4 ?) at $23,988 (MSRP $26,147 - $2,186)

Again, I am not recommending any specific dealers.
  • Options
    rockefellarockefella Member Posts: 2
    I just got a call from Toyota of Orange (in Los Angeles). They're selling Priuses with Package 2 at $21,900. Dang, if I'd waited a few more weeks, I could've saved $600!
  • Options
    Cudda, wudda shudda - it's a waste of energy. Never look back!
This discussion has been closed.