Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
edited May 2015 in Honda
Current Honda Fit prices paid: 2015 Honda Fit Prices Paid & Buying Experience

For the latest leasing info, check out 2015 Honda Fit Leasing Questions

You can also research local dealer inventory and pricing, reviews, features, and specifications on Edmunds 2015 Honda Fit page.

Comments

• mwqamwqa Member Posts: 106
    Betcha that's a typo - the Yaris was DESIGNED in France.
  • bostonjazzbostonjazz Member Posts: 51
    Anyone have any thoughts on actually purchasing a Fit from a dealer?

I could be mistaken since I've never purchased a new car before, but here's my thinking:

From an economics/negotiation perspective, putting down a deposit now, indicating my immense demand in the vehicle, or signing up on a waiting list (if one exists) seems like it would compromise my negotiating position.

Should I assume that I'll be paying full price if I want a Fit right away?

With a new vehicle, do you think dealers will be competing on Internet bids / have a sense yet? I had hoped to get a quote through the Internet as Edmunds and other sites have suggested this is the best way to get a good deal.

Thanks!
  • mauicedarmauicedar Member Posts: 34
    Honda Dealer confirms they can order cars Friday!! I called a Dealer today and asked to be placed on the waiting list. Sales Manager confirmed that this friday he is supposed to receive the list of cars for his first allotment.
    I plan to purchase the fit to tow behind my motor home. I like the fact it's small and light. One of my problems is ground clearance. The Sport with the cladding seems to have a lot less clearance even though the tires are bigger. I would rather have the features on the Sport but fear it would end up with damaged cladding. I'm not like most of the younger buyers that want the car to look cool, I'm going to take the car to Canada and Alaska this summer. Does anybody know if I can raise the body by upgrading to bigger wheels and tires?

Usually when a new model comes out and you want to be the first to get the car, you pay list or above. The waiting lists form beginning now. You may try the internet and request quotes. You can also call Dealers and make an offer. Supply and demand is the name of the game. I'm going to offer list early and not worry about it. Let us all know what happens.
    By the way, I plan to make a refundable deposit with a Dealer and then I can price shop and cancel my deposit. If you do this make sure the deposit will be returned in writing if you cancel for any reason and expect it may take several weeks before you get it back. Might work best if you make a credit card deposit. :surprise:
  • jonniedeejonniedee Member Posts: 111
    Might work best if you make a credit card deposit

My dealer didn't leave my credit deposit outstanding - it showed up as an active charge - the next day :surprise:
  • 3dman3dman Member Posts: 3
    Local Honda dealers here in Northern CAL are totally in dark in terms of ordering. One sales manager said that usually 6-8 weeks before the first arrivals the sales staff goes to a seminar to learn everything about the new models. An other dealer would take a none-refundable deposit. I've been following this forum - the best - for a while, learned a lot - thanks guys - and I can't wait to get my hand on a Fit but do not want to be locked in having to deal with one Dealer
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    We just received our initial allocation for the intro of the FIT. Looks like we are getting 3 cars. 1 Base MT, 1 Sport MT and 1 Sport AT. I know that Honda is proposing 50,000 units for the full year, so this should translate to about 5-7 FIT's per month for us. We do about 185-200 per month so the smaller dealerships will be getting less.

I certainly forsee a backlog right out of the gate with this car.
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    Looks like I'll be stopping by my local dealer tomorrow with a check, then.

If the bigger dealerships are only getting a few per month, then the chance of getting the model, transmission and color you want within a reasonable timeframe from their initial release date are not looking good. :cry:

I just want to make sure I get one that was made in Japan, and not one from the initial startup of Fit building in the US.
    I just want to make sure I get one that was made in Japan, and not one from the initial startup of Fit building in the US.

Amen to that - Give me 4th year proven Japanese production over all new US product any day! :surprise:
    I was referring to the fact that a credit card charge can be disputed if you have a difficult time getting the Dealer to cut a check. Third party pressure helps. Yeah they want the money to hold a place. :shades:
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    Well, I will be placing my deposit tomorrow.

I talked to my dealer today and he said that 3 would be arriving in April and 8 per month after that.

Regarding the "compromise my negotiating position" as bostonjazz originally pointed out, is all a question of what you want.
    If you are looking at the small car category in general, and you really have no idea what you want exactly, then wait until it arrives and you can test drive it along with the other models in the category. Upside is that you haven't compromised negotiating capability, and you have a chance to see what else is around. Downside is you will have a limited selection of vehicles, and you might have to settle for "not the perfect Fit" or otherwise go on a waiting list. With 8 cars per month per dealership, it's not hopeless, but that could mean a lengthy delay.

If you are looking at getting the Fit, and you know all about it and that you really want it, then I would suggest putting down a deposit. I really want to make sure I get a manual in base trim line. I have found that manuals are not exactly "popular" in the US, so getting your hands on what you want could be slightly difficult. Upside to the deposit is that you are already in line for what you want. Downside is that you can't test drive (if you don't know already what a Fit/Jazz is like in person) and you have pretty much kissed any chance of negotiating away since the dealer knows you want it.

It's all a matter of priorities.

Colors
    Apologies to fiticeland! You were correct about the Lunar Mist interior. Anyway, these are the exterior/interior colors. Some of you may know already, but all kinds of information is flying around the Internet, so I thought some clarification could be useful.

Base model:
    Beige interior: Taffeta White, Lunar Mist, Milano Red
    Black interior: Storm Silver, Nighthawk Black, Vivid Blue

Sport model:
    Beige interior: Taffeta White
    Black interior: Taffeta White, Storm Silver, Nighthawk Black, Vivid Blue, Milano Red, Blaze Orange
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    What size of a deposit are they looking for these days?
    The two Dealers I've talked to were asking for $500.00 and you can cancel and receive your money back for any reason.

In the 70's I bought a then newly introduced Honda Accord for list price. I think it was $3495.00 plus tax and Lic. Within weeks Dealers were selling them for 15% over list and or loading them with every Dealer installed option there was. People were on wait lists even at the inflated prices. I wanted to get another one and add a turbo. I waited six months to get another one. When it was ready I was able to sell the one I had for $3,800 just because people couldn't get them. I think it was about 8 months old by the time I got the second car. God, what a ball it was. I used to drive from LA to Mammoth Lakes ski area and did I surprise some cars, including one cop that was at the head of a line of cars that I tried to pass all of them at one time.

It also happened with the 240Z and many others over the years. If you are really interested in getting the car, I would suggest that you get on a list (or more than one) with the written agreement that you can cancel for any reason and you can buy the car at MSRP. You will also want the doc fees spelled out, taxes and any other fees. You are then in a good position.
    1, You can test drive and walk for any reason and get your money back.
    2, You can offer less if you want and you will walk if your not happy and get your $ back.
    3, With a couple of deposits down you can get the first one that arrives or play one off against the other.

It doesn't weaken your position it strengthens it. I predict that there will be a lot of people that will want your position.
    ;)
    jmurman42, it seems you are working at a Honda Dealership, than perhaps you can explain how would one get/order, say a Base model with MT and some of the features that are available on the Sport, like cruse-control, remote entry and fog lights. Does anyone know what options will be offered? I might consider placing an order with a deposit if I got what I wanted. Any suggestions, thanks
    I drove a 1.3 in Nassau 3 years ago and I all can say is that I was pissed I couldn't get this car in the U.S.
    You will not regret buying this car if your expectations are for a versital, spunky fun to drive, bigger than it is inside than out - Honda.
    By the way I'm #2 in line at my dealer and it took $200 NON REFUNDABLE to reserve an early delivery.... ;)
    Which trim, transmission, and color are you waiting for?

...and how much earlier is your delivery?
  • fdannafdanna Member Posts: 263
    Let me just warn you all that the dealer can and will make your life hell if you try to get your deposit back. Most dealers are scum (and I can say this well plenty of assuredness) and will try to strong-arm you into a buying.

I would NOT put a deposit down unless you ABSOLUTELY MUST have this car the DAY it arrives on the lot. Don't let them fool you into thinking that if you don't buy the car ASAP you'll never get it. We're not going to see Miata-esque or VW New Beatle-esque backlogs for this car.

The second they smell any kind of desperation on your part, they're going to take you to the cleaners. And make no mistake about it, there WILL be glitches in the initial product. They may not be severe, but they will make mistakes as they did with the 2006 Civic (check the board).

Granted if you're strong of will and enjoy a good tete-a-tete with a sleezeball dealer, you will not be disappointed.
    My deposit is for a Sport auto 1st color choice storm silver , 2nd Lunar Mist...my delivery is when ever they get the 1st one(s)in! :shades:
    And make no mistake about it, there WILL be glitches in the initial product.

But Fit is NOT an all new car like the 06 civic... it is going on 4 years production in Japan and that's where my car is coming from... ;)
    "And make no mistake about it, there WILL be glitches in the initial product. They may not be severe, but they will make mistakes as they did with the 2006 Civic"

You're forgetting something though. The Civic is an ALL-NEW product for the 2006 model year. The Fit was introduced in Japan in June of 2001. It has been refined every year since. This will almost be a 5-year old product when it arrives in the United States. I can't say there won't be any problems, but I would have to think the chances are extremely slim. Most of the issues have already been worked out. In fact a magazine in Hungary did a survey of 10 000+ car owners back in December. Which car won the "Most Reliable" title? The Honda Jazz, and that's basically the car the US is getting.

There might be some "glitches" with the 5 speed automatics, being that Honda has had some trouble with the in the past and they are all new on the Fit, but the 5-speed manual is the exact same. OK, some of the ratios are different on the US market Fit, but mechanically it is identical to the one sold in Europe and Japan.

Also, most (if not all?) US Civics are made in the US and while I don't want to get into a geopolitical discussion on car manufacturing, I have found the Japanese products to be of superior quality.

When you are comparing the 2006 Civic to the 2007 Fit, you are comparing brand new US manufacturing to a nearly 5-year old Japanese product. The first year of a new generation always has problems. When was the last time a fifth year Japanese-built Honda had issues?
    This car should be bulletproof.
  • texas_jazztexas_jazz Member Posts: 4
    Everyone here reading the post and message board should tell friend and family to stop place deposites at the dealership. This gives the dealer an advantage of dealer to ask high price, "The car is in high demand" we have to charge $5K over sticker. So everyone lose except Honda dealer wins.
    The truth is this car will not "FIT" many American since the tiny size, may be 20 to 30 % of the people in the U.S. will fit comfortably.
    This is the main reason Honda and others delay introduce econo box to the U.S. Now they have been force to. But due to the size constraint to many people in the U.S. People will feel stupid later who over paid the car and regret. It is a nice car, but many people will not "FIT" in, then the market will be limited to the "FIT" people.
    So please don't help dealer on price! Dealer is going to milk out as much as it can with every new model.
    You need to sit in this car before you can say only 20 to 30% of people will Fit - I am large and fit in the fit (jazz) NO problem. In fact I sat in a newer Pontiac mid-sized entry at the NAIAS and found it to be cramped feeling in comparison.
    Also sorry but if someone wants to make a deposit now I don't see any issue. If you don't want to fork out the $ for a certain car just don't buy it.
    I Manage the Internet Dept for our dealership, so here's my take on this. please keep in mind we have not seen any accessories or the exact trims of the FIT.

Keyless Remote and Foglights should be available as accessories. I say should with some hesitation. Cruise Control...I couldn't say one way or the other. That being said, it will be hard for the dealer to have your accessories by the time you FIT arrives, especially on a new vehicle. It usually takes a couple of months before all of the accessories have filled the pipleline so to speak.

Do you plan on doing a Pre-Order with a dealership or waiting until the units start hitting the ground?
  • shneorshneor Member Posts: 66
    The external dimensions of the Fit are almost identical to thoe of the Scion XA. Here in Northern California, there are plenty of XAs on the streets. I think the Fit is a much better buy.

Shneor
    I ordered my Fit today. Number 1 on the list. In fact, the manager was doing the orders today. They had 3 cars being ordered for April. One of them was a base model with 5 speed manual in Lunar Mist. They changed that one to the Storm Silver I requested.

$1000 fully refundable deposit.
    I can't wait to be number one off the lot in April :D !
    Hey everyone - pleased to report that I too (or more exactly, my wife) put down a deposit on a Fit today, here in Boston! Indeed, that along with everyone else's posts confirm that the wheels are in motion and dealers are now generally aware of the car and able to take orders. It was a $500 fully refundable deposit.

Similarly, this dealership was in the process of putting their orders in today. They are receiving 2 models - 1 base and 1 sport. Apparently each dealership (not sure the region this applies to, but it came from a Honda memo) is being allotted 3 Fits, with certain combinations - 1 manual, 2 auto, or 2 sport, 1 base, etc. They also suggested the car would be available in APRIL.

Thanks for the recommendation on putting down a deposit ASAP, on my earlier post about how this would affect bargaining position. The assumption I needed to make was that I would not be bargaining - we want this car, and we do not want to wait for it, so that means we're willing to and will expect to pay the "market" price for the first buyer - MSRP.

It could be that I know nothing about buying cars (the Fit will be my first new vehicle, so Honda's strategy is working) - but for some reason I guess I assumed Fits would be available on a J.I.T. basis; the car comes out and people go to the dealer and order them. If one city needs 7 Fits, 7 are shipped there.

Of course, when I recalled based on the posts that there are only 50,000 units to go around for the year, across the whole country, and I want one right away... well, that led to the deposit.

I do wonder though if we could get any sort of a break on dealer-installed options by noting we're not eating into the dealer's profit on the car itself by haggling. That's a minor point...

We're going for the base and hoping to add keyless entry, the ipod thing, maybe cruise control or fog lights.

So, to all of our Fit-watching bretheren here, this is a very happy day for me and many of us. We are "in line" and have taken the first step to buying a Fit! We started out wishing for this car to be imported; suffered through months of mystery and speculation... and plenty still more to learn, not to mention when we get to drive it (I had a chance to in Europe over the summer).
    let's see, your trying to get the few hundred people who have posted on this site(And the few thousand who read the posts) who are interested and the best informed about the Fit to not place deposits. That'll mean that everybody else can step in and have first shot at a new model(for America) built and imported from Japan (where they sell very very well) so they won't be on the list of people who have first crack at buying one. Not a very good plan if you ask me. :confuse: Let me know where you are and if I'm in the area in my new Fit, I'll be sure to honk as I pass. :shades:

I placed my deposit today from a Dealer who told me he got his allocation today and it was exactly one. The good news was he could order any style and color he wanted. That's going to be mine.
    I've heard that Honda plans for 33,000 to 50,000 in the first year. That means about four thousand a month or less. It won't take much to cover that. In my State we have about one Honda Dealership for every 250,000 people. If Honda has 1000 dealerships that means four cars per month, on average. Sometimes you can be to tight for your own good. Buy some junk from Detroit, you'll make a hell of a deal. The lots are overflowing, take your pick.
    Given that, as you indicated, it would take a few months before I could custom order a unit, I am pretty much decided to pre-order if I could only find a Dealer in the Sacramneto area that would agree to a refundable deposit. I’ve been looking to buy a hatchback since last summer, but was not sold on anything until I came across the Jazz/Fit. I drive long distances and definitely want cruise control, so I'd go for the Sport model.
    3dman...here is how I would handle your situation. I would find a dealer close to you where I could speak with the Internet Manager face to face. I would explain that I wanted to place an order now for a later delivery. Order your exact color, and clearly spell out when you want to take delivery and have a Buyers Order printed showing what you'll pay. Our Buyers Orders on pre-orders where we dont know the MSRP say something to this effect "Customer pays MSRP, which is indicated on the Monroni Label"

Give them your deposit and go about your life until the build date for your FIT, re-contact the Internet Manager to see if you are on schedule.

Ordering for a later date isn't rocket science for any dealer, just make sure it's spelled out.

Hope this helps.
  • mebmanmebman Member Posts: 100
    I am going down to make a deposit on the Fit at my dealer and have a few questions that he dealer doesn’t know the answer to. I am trying to decide between the base and the sport models.

1) Does anyone know if the cruise control will be an option on the base model?

2) Does anyone know if the tacky underbody spoilers on the Sport model can be easily removed without leaving holes, or unpainted trim showing?

3) Does anyone have any thoughts on the 15 inch tires? What would they do to the cars fuel economy, ride, and road noise vs. the 14inch tires? (btw much cheaper to replace)

I am leaning towards the base model but those 3 items (in particular the cruise control) may force me into the sport.
  • shneorshneor Member Posts: 66
    Spoke to a dealer Friday. He told me their dealership is getting two Fits, one Sport and one Base. Order is going in Monday - he changed the Base model order to the one I want, and they will order that. I don't think Honda has specific knowledge about pre-orders. Did not ask me for a deposit either, though I offered at one point.
    Dealer told me that aftermarket cruise control was most likely the only choice on a Base Fit.

One post I read stated that there were some holes in the sheet metal to attach the skirts. Also adhesive tape.

About the tires you might want to call Tire Rack and ask them for advice. They told me last week they were ordering some special wheels for the Fit.

Good luck. :shades:
    Good move on securing an option.

The difference between the Sport and Base is reported to be under 2,000. It's not going to be possible to just choose any options for the Dealers to add on at the Dealerships. Examples are cruise control. The steering wheel on the Sport have the cruise control built in. They won't have that option. If you want automatic, only the Sport has the shift paddles located at the steering wheel. On the Ipod radio there is a booster and two extra speakers. I don't think the Dealers will change that out either.

The bundled option choices are usually a good value. The Sport has, the remote, fog lights, cruise control, alloy wheels, bigger tires, radio upgrades and the skirt package.
    I would usually order the upgraded package every time. This time I plan to haul the fit behind my motor home. I need the manual to pull it four wheels down and the fit's ground clearance is effected by the skirt kits and where I'm going I would damage them. If I take the lower ones off I'm afraid I would have to do some filling and repaint so I'll pass on them, If I were you, I'd look very hard at the upgraded package in the Sport. Buy the Best and only cry once.

:shades:
  • coldstorage5coldstorage5 Member Posts: 76
    bigger tires are better in fuel economy.

Plus get the rims now. hub caps are weak and look ugly. but the steel rims are more durable. taking off parts will always leave holes. They are not meant to be removed. You could but holes and marks will remain. It looks like cruise will not be availble on the reg. car. GL :):) :P
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Honda wants long-term customers, much like Volvo and Mercedes used try to obtain to a deacade ago as well.

The rest - they want to not get beat in that segment and boost their CAFE numbers and nothing else. They really want everyone to buy the next model up. Take Toyota - their smallest "normal car" is the Matrix. It's engineered to actually be an all-in-one car without any compromises other than size. The Yaris or even the Colorrl - feel like a compromise from a design standpoint the second you sit in them. NIce, but budget.

Compare a Mini. It's exactly the opposite "feel" - it's small, clean, and fun. Too bad it's smaller than a teacup. Families and students won't actually but a Mini, because they need what the Fit offers - a true microwagon that's under $15K.

I think the Fit will sell like crazy, myself.
  • justjulesjustjules Member Posts: 14
    I dropped into my local Honda dealership and put down a deposit yesterday. The debate about whether or not to put down deposits early has been interesting to read.

In my shopping, I have had some very particular specifications: Less than a foot longer than my current car (an older Miata), MPG over 30, and a back seat area that can be used as air-conditioned cargo space if necessary. Doesn't sound hard, right? That knocked my list down to the Mini Cooper, Aveo, Xb, Yaris, xA, and Fit. (I think there's a Kia, but it's not on my "how long are they" spreadsheet at the moment.)

Mini Coopers are costly for what you get. Aveo feels like it's made of legos. xB, I admit, lost due to its aesthetics. If the Yaris is more cheaply made than the Echo, I don't trust it to hold up. So that left the xA and Fit. I'm not a huge fan of the center instrument cluster, but the xA is an option. But the Fit's magic seats and safety features brought it out on top of the list.

Will I buy it when it comes in? I hope so, but if I don't care for it when I test drive, there's a Toyota dealership literally across the street with plenty of xAs in stock. The internet sales manager I worked with had a moment of not knowing what to say because he kept trying to say I had bought a car, and I kept pointing out that I had not purchased anything but had secured opportunity to buy a car once they showed up if it suited me.

So we will see what little blue Honda shows up in April. I hope it's worth the wait, but nothing is set in stone.
  • safitsafit Member Posts: 1
    Just put a $250.00 refundable deposit on a Black Sport model. The dealer I went to here in SA, TX was great w/ our '06 Odyssey purchase & I just need a "commuter/utility" vehicle w/ the gas prices as they are now. # 1 in line w/ them telling me it'll be March production w/ April delivery. This board has been very useful...

Viva San Antonio!!!
    FYI, here's a recent article on the Fit and competitors. Things we already knew, but this is one of the more in-depth analyses I've seen lately on the small car category.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060125/FREE/60123014/1041

Also, I have a question - and suspect I might get some differing answers :) When I put down a deposit on the Fit last week, there was nothing in the agreement about price. My assumption is once pricing is known, we can revisit this - and I'm assuming MSRP, and/or the opportunity to negotiate (but fully expecting I'll pay around MSRP). We still need to add options, for instance, which will affect the price. The deposit puts me in line to get one of those first orders... why were some people emphasizing getting agreements with dealers to buy the car at MSRP? How would I spell that out?

Thanks
    There was nothing on the agreement about price? So..what exactly did you agree to?
    I think the size of the deposit and the conditions varies from dealer to dealer. I paid $1000 (fully-refundable) with no guarantee on price. I am expecting to pay MSRP since I am number 1 in line, and I don't really care either. I am looking specifically at the Fit, and a car that will possibly last me 15+ years (if my previous Accord is any indicator, that goal will be reached with ease). I am not looking for some kind of bargain. Having said that, I don't want to pay for any premiums or ADMU nonsense either.

I specfically asked about the price and the dealer said the deposit guarantees me the first spot for the Fit of my choice (base 5-speed manual in Storm Silver Metallic). Final price will be determined at delivery.

About the article...
    Interesting that the US Yaris will be built in France.
    Thanks Hungarian - this is my understanding about my agreement too, that the fully refundable deposit puts me in line for a price TBD later. It's all sort of weird territory... but I take people have wanted to be in line for other new vehicles as they've come out.
  • mebmanmebman Member Posts: 100
    My dealer told me he was ordering his allotment last Monday. He said that I would be first on the list.I asked him if he needed a deposit or paperwork signed he said no, that wouldn’t be necessary. He also said that paying msrp wouldn’t be a problem. He went ahead and ordered 2 sport fits for me and my wife in the colors I requested. This all sounded a bit too easy. I wonder how secure I am in getting the cars I ordered at msrp come April?
  • teeyenteeyen Member Posts: 4
    I have been reading this forum for a while now and came to know a lot about FIT. Based on what others have done, I too have put down a $500 deposit with a dealer for the Fit and I am the first in the list, with the agreement that price to be decided upon the car's arrival & test drive. This is the first time I am buying a new car and all this is new to me too. Like mebman, I too wouldn't mind paying MSRP, but anything more and I might take a pass.
  • janokajanoka Member Posts: 1
    I am actually planning to buy an orange Fit Sport, and found a dealer who sounds nice to deal with.

He is asking for a $200 refundable deposit, but also for a faxed copy of my driver license and my Social Security number. Is this normal? I never put a deposit on a new car or, in fact, bought a new car before.
    The dealer probably wants to know if you are of legal age and if you are local.

For the most part, dealers don't really want to sell out of their local servicing area.

How close is the dealership to you?

The deposit is reflective of your commitment to the purchase. $200 is pretty low, we have in the past with pre-orders get $500.
  • fit_nessfit_ness Member Posts: 58
    How are you handling pricing on the Fit with refundable deposit pre-orders? Will these cars be available at a "no-haggle" price or will you get the sticker? Does your dealership immediately add DAO's? ADMU?

I received a rather curt (rude) reply from the Internet Manager at the "President's Award" winning largest dealer in my area when I inquired about a refundable deposit!

Thanks for any thoughts on this. I appreciate your comments on this list.
  • library1library1 Member Posts: 54
    License and SS# is to run a credit check to see what financing terms (interest rate) they can charge you. If you are providing your own financing, tell them.

I hesitate to send a ss# via fax. Phone call to a person whos name you have is safer. Fax licence is OK. Most dealers want a copy if you test drive the car; again, they are running a credit check to see what they can get.

As for dealers 'not wanting to sell outside their area', :confuse: you can usually get lower prices out of your area, since this is a "marginal profit" for that dealer. See internet sales manager, Cars.com, etc.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I have never been asked for an SSN when putting a deposit on a new car, and I do not give out my SSN unless there is a VERY good reason.
  • xkiddx13xkiddx13 Member Posts: 122
    you have never givin your ssn, funny casue here at my dealership you cant get a car unless we run a check on you and we need your ssn, then again we are a very well known dealership not some shady used car dealer in some shady place..
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Why do you need to run a "check" on a buyer who is paying cash for a car? You should be able to get all the info you need from the person's driver's licence. There are special machines that some dealers use now that run checks from the driver's license in a matter of seconds. I could never understand why an SSN is needed to put a deposit on a car. I guess I won't be buying at your dealership, if you require people who are putting a deposit on a car to provide an SSN.