Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Mazda CX-9

Comments

• cwalk31cwalk31 Member Posts: 5
    Cute post Steve.
    But the Mazda5 is not really a minivan it is more of a mini-minivan.It is in a class by itself and will not likely suit the needs of anyone interested in this post chain.

I too am interested in a real alternative to a minivan and hard pressed to find a happy medium.
    This is a real conundrum for many and I am open to suggestion, all the crossovers I looked at are not very roomy.
    I understand what is being conveyed by Balooo I'm in the same boat. Tried of the minivan image but all the crossovers we looked at are a step backward for space needs.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I thought you'd like that. ;)

Edmunds does list is (and 4 others) under the Minivan category. We also call it, ahem, a compact minivan. It looks like a tall wagon with sliders a bit to me (but that's a good thing, imho - I always liked the Axxess).

You may want to cruise this discussion if you haven't spotted it already:

Compare the CX-9, Veracruz, Pilot, Acadia, Outlook, Enclave and Freestyle
  • alextdalextd Member Posts: 5
    Interested in the GT but they aren't in our area yet.

First a thanks for previous reviews. They were helpful.

A few points I'll add.

+center console
    I disagree with earlier poster who disliked the center console. I agree it was big/high but I found it very comfortable as an arm rest for my right arm. I felt it more of a plus then a minus.

+Radio/info
    I like the fact that the radio display info was up high on the console instead of down with the buttons. I'm a channel changer especially with steering wheel controls and I'm frequently looking down at the radio to recall what station I'm on. Having it up high made it easy to see without taking eyes off the road.

+driver position
    The drive was higher then the Cx-7 (I drove a couple weeks ago) but it was lower then the Rav4. I felt it was a good compromise the CX-7 was too much like a sedan and the Rav4 felt a little too much like a bus. I think the Cx-9 was a good middle ground.

+DVD screen
    Agree with observation made previously that the DVD entertainment option is well placed. It does not obstruct the rear view mirror.

+Size
    It didn't look as big as I thought it would. Also, the interior wasn't as large as I thought it would be. There's a lot of discussion on these boards about size and 3rd row seat comfort. I think conclusion here is that CX-9 is a compromise. It's a much more attractive vehicle then a Odessy/sienna but there's less roominess inside. Perhaps I need to seek counseling but for me Odessy/sienna=minivan and that's a mental block. Also, I have just one wife, one kid and one dog and CX-9 would be a large step up in size from our current family car (Mini Cooper) so I can be satisfied with the space.

~Ride
    Ride seemed fine to me. I'm not an expert on this topic. I currently drive a Miata so this type of vehicle is totally different. It didn't jump up and go from a stop but it did seem to have enough power at speed. Also, turning radius was better then I expected.

-Tracks in second row
    The tracks for sliding the seats appeared on the floor in front of the second row. This made the second row seem less appealing/comfortable. I suppose the reason they go so far is that you can slide the seats up all the way to touch the seats in front. I wonder how it looks with the rubber floor mats.

~Folding down the 2nd/3rd row seats
    The sliding second row also introduced some quicks with the seat folding. For example, with the second row all the way back, the 3rd row won't go down. So, while folding all the seats flat may be one-pull easy if they are in the right position, it's a bit of a dance if you need to move the seats forward first since you then need to walk around to the side door and adjust the position of the 2nd seat then go back to the rear to drop the 3rd row. I did like that the 3rd row folded completely flat and the floor was continous/falt for that row. I also like 60/40 seat split. Most likely that's where I would leave the 3rd row down most of the time. I'd use them as a convenient option to occasionally tote around a neighborhood kid/relative, not full time seating.

~huge doors
    I found the doors to be big, particularly the second door. I guess in some ways that's an advantage since it's spacious. Also, as the Mazda lit says the door opens suprisingly far (70 degrees I think). Again, that's convenience but it will require care in opening the doors when parked in crowded lots.

-blind spot visibility
    Visibility to blind spot, expecially if you were trying to spot a short cars is pretty poor. This seems to be the case for all cars in this class. As a Miata driver, I'm always careful when in traffic with SUV's.

At this point I'm a likely buyer, although I need to finalize the options. I anticipate I will order a GT. I'd like to wait for power hatch I think. Does anyone know if they are taking order on those yet?
  • fromsffromsf Member Posts: 19
    Nice Review.

Here are my thoughts:
    1. Center Cosole:
    I was disappointed because there was less storage space with such a big center console. Also if three adults sit the in second row, then there are no cup holders for the second row seats. They could have added a pop-out cup holers in the rear of the center console for the second seat occupants.

2. Size:
    CX-9 is almost 10 inches longer than Pilot and about 15 inches longer than '07 Highlander and 8 inches longer than Veracruz. But it offers only very little extra legroom in 2nd and 3rd row against the competition. I wouldn't compare CX-9 to a Van. All I can say is Mazda engineers didn't use extra length efficiently and wasted it on sporty windsheild.

Rest I concur with your opinion.

I was about a buy a Sienna around Dec '06 and put if off just for CX-9. Now, I am 50-50 on CX-9 and not able to decide and thinking of checking Veracruz before making the decision.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Alex,

I benefited from your review ... thanks. A comment on your comment:

"Visibility to blind spot, expecially if you were trying to spot a short cars is pretty poor. This seems to be the case for all cars in this class. As a Miata driver, I'm always careful when in traffic with SUV's."

Blind spots are created by improper, but popular, outside mirror-aiming method. Namely, we tend to aim them to see the quarter panels (rear fenders). Wrong! This results in our seeing essentially the same thing in all three mirrors. No value in that.

I don't view my quarter panels as a threat, and I usually know exactly where they're at. Aim the left mirror outboard so you can see just see the edge of the quarter panel when you have your head against the driver's door glass. Do the right side in a similar fashion, but by leaning over the console. Goodbye blind spot.
  • lazyace13lazyace13 Member Posts: 15
    Hey Balooo, I also drove a black CX-9 at Duval Mazda in Gainesville on Friday. I was very well impressed. Good ride, great handling and features out the yazoo. It sounds like you really would be better suited with a mini-van or maybe a class C motorhome. :) . The third row in the CX-9 is very nice and roomy as far as other CUVs are concerned. We probably won't ever use it. But, alas, it doesn't compare to a boxy, "unsexy" mini-van. I thought the interior was very well appointed with nice fit and finish. I loved the center console with the aux audio input and power source inside. The tilt & telescope wheel was nice also. I was very comfortable and the heated memory seats worked flawlessly. Even power recline and lumbar. I found the drive-train to be quite spirited and the turning radius very tight. The brakes were awesome. I liked all the little touches like lighted vanity visors, auto on/off headlights, rain sensing wipers and, of course the advanced keyless entry and start system. I was totally impressed!

You're right, it doesn't quite have the interior space of a mini-van, but it's a cross over. If you get the GT you don't have to order the "technology" package as on the CX-7. I don't want a sunroof or the Bose system as I'm going to upgrade to a Pioneer AVIC-Z2 NAV/Audio system. I'm going to order a Galaxy Gray GT with Sand Leather today. Good luck in your search, but you just may have to stay in Daddy-minivan land. ;) Ace
  • balooobalooo Member Posts: 24
    Ace,
    Sounds like you test drove the same Black CX-9 I did Friday and you also sound like the salesman who attempted to sell me the vehical...
    I often wonder about these boards especially when people get personal in their response.
    Let's be clear about the minivan thing and many indivuals in the markets expectations...
    The CX-9 is Mazda's replacement for the MPV minivan they make no bones about that and the growing popularity of this segment is growing so fast because of consumers that currently own minivans and want what a minivan has to offer in a more stylish package this is the target market.
    If the CUV marketing effort is successful in capturing the intended market it is going after,people that require seating for seven; you'll be driving the next "Daddy/Mom-minivan" consider that wise guy.

Back to my point...
    So the simple question begs to be asked how well does a vehical that claims to accomodate seven, accomodate seven and their gear?
    Does the CX-9 handle well I stated in my original post yes it does but the shortcomings for me outweigh all the gizmo you mention by the way all of which are in my Sienna except audio plug in and rain sensor wipers big woop.
    I find it funny to keep reading you cannot compare a CUV to a minivan. Several have done so in recent posts and then go on to say things like "I was considering a Sienna in December and now 50/50 leaning towards a CX-9 but will wait until the Veracruz arrives"
    There is a big disconnect here. If that is not comparing what is?
    No CUV can tow anything worth a darn,not intended to go off road,they are all based on non truck or sedan frames,all have 6 cylinder engines with less then 275 HP (except the Acura) and many claim to seat seven... Gee did I say CUV at the beginning of this sentence or minivan whats the difference except packaging and what you are willing to give up for that "cool" packaging.
    So please stop telling me you cannot compare a CUV and a minivan they are closer in intended function then many of you "cool in your mind" individuals want to believe.
    I am not concerned about image when traveling with my family my need is function. the CX-9 is a good looking vehical but a lot is being sacrificed for looks.

BTW,my other vehical is a BMW 530i and my wife's everyday driver is a S80 Volvo. We are searching for a family/gear hauler replacement and do not tow anything or go off road so we don't want or need an SUV (another big disconnect with regard to those who buy one and the need).
    Good luck with the GT you are ordering.

Signed,
    Proud to be identified as a Daddy.
    Balooo,
    You speak nothing but the truth!

Ace,
    Sounds like you guys live in the same town. You should look balooo up and get some tips on what women really find sexy :)
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    You might want to check out the new Chrysler minivans (Town&Country?) The 2nd row seats actually rotate 180 degrees on those, so that you face the 3rd row, and there's a little table you can install so that you can all sit and play cards or something. Now that's functional!

It's funny how advertising can be interpreted: I never thought for one second that the CX-9 was intended for minivan buyers; instead, I thought they were going after the Highlander/Pilot by emphasizing more room in the 3rd row, which is almost non-existent in the Pilot/HL.
  • lazyace13lazyace13 Member Posts: 15
    Gee Balooo, what's with the attitude? Did you miss the two smileys in my post? And where did I get personal? I spoke almost entirely about my impressions of the CX-9. For your family needs it sounds like a mini-van would work best for you. I hope you find a "vehicle" that you'll be happy with. For me, the CX-9 hits on all six cylinders! Peace, Brother! :shades:
  • codeggscodeggs Member Posts: 12
    I drove the CX-9 last Wednesday. It still had the plastic on the wheels and seats. Loved the car! Right now they only have the three models with the basic stuff. No NAV's or sun roofs.

It didn't have as much pickup as I thought it would - although admittedly, I didn't get on it too much. It's a solid car/truck that is a step above the Highlander (hate the new one) or the Pilot. The fit and finish are excellent. Controls are thoughtfully laid out and materials are top notch. The steering wheel could be a little bigger.

I still will wait to drive the VeraCruz. I've owed two different Hyundai's since 2000 and feel they are the bargains of the auto industry. The VeraCruz and the Azera will be splintered off of the Hyundai badge and seed the new Hyundai luxury division, which is yet to be named.

From what I've seen on-line on the VeraCruz it looks to be a winner. It doesn't look like it will come with a NAV system - at least not at the onset. Korean models will have it - but not here. I'm a little dissapointed that it'll only have 18 inch wheels on the top of the line Limited. The CX-9 has 20's.

Also, from the post on this board, I think you all need to consider that the competition for these two cars goes beyond the Pilot and Highlander. These two cars are going to compete with the Murano, Tribeca, Edge, and the Acadia/Outlander/Enclave. The Pilot and Highlander are SUV's - the others are Crossovers. Different animal altogether.

As far as looks, the CX-9 has the VeraCruz beat - but not by much. The VeraCruz looks like the Lexus SUV - alot! The CX-9 is original - the only thing that comes close is the Pacifica - and only a little.

To those early adopters I'd say wait until you drive the VeraCruz before buying the CX-9. Besides - rule of thumb is you never buy a car as soon as it comes out. There's a learning curve for the people that assemble these cars. Wait until they become better at it.

Regards.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Tonight during prime-time TV, you should see 2 CX-9 commercials. I have seen them already. Not bad, they are kinda funny!
  • codeggscodeggs Member Posts: 12
    I just tried to go to the HyundaiUSA website and a pop up to the GMC Acadia website came in a new window out in front of the Hyundai website. What kind of junk is that?

Just another example of the big man keeping the little guy down. :mad:
  • sssfegysssfegy Member Posts: 132
    Yes balooo we have a Toyota store also, and drive the Seinna when I have to, also drove the Odysse. Sir I can not compare their handling and braking to the CUV's.
    Take your minivan at 30 mph and wiggle the steering wheel and feel how much play you have,and after 5 seconds you'll feel how unsafe they are (emergencies).
    As far as seating, sorry I have not seen a minivan with all seats in the car since mid 90's, except folks who don't use them at all, and when you ask, the answer was they need the room! So that middle bucket seat, and half the rear one, usually you end up with a 6 seater! :P
    Why don't you look at a full size SUV? Suburban or Expedition? They'll give you more room and much better styling.
    Yes balooo we have a Toyota store also, and drive the Sienna when I have to, also drove the Odysse. Sir I can not compare their handling and braking to the CUV's.

The Odyssey and Sienna drive well, for mini vans. They cannot handle like a CUV, nor do they have the steering response.

I drove the CX-9, Pilot and Highlander today at a ride and drive, and neither could steer or handle remotely close to the CX-9. One person driving the Pilot on the road course almost rolled it, and knocked over a few cones in the process!
    And the Highlander handles better than the Seinna. The CX9 is an impressive machine, I can not really compare its driving behavior to any japaneese as of yet. But ofcourse I'm only 30 and love german cars! Big Mazda fan now (alot of their engineers are german!)
  • arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    I got the chance to drive a Touring with leather, moonroof, & Bose stereo. I was impressed with acceleration & handling especially for a vehicle of it's size (of course, I drive a 1999 Camry LE so most vehicles handle better IMHO).

The center console was a great height for me, but I would think they could have gotten more usable space out of it. On a high note, the cup holders were wonderful. Overall fit and finish was near perfect. I really, really do not like the red gauges.

I'm not sure how they measure legroom or headroom in the 3rd row, but it doesn't seem to match up with numbers from other manufacturers. I can fit in a new Santa Fe which, according to the numbers, has less legroom and headroom, but I couldn't fit in the CX-9. Storage behind the 3rd row was excellent, especially with the underfloor storage. I didn't think there would be that much room underneath the floor.
    They are the best hands down, and ask any german car owner, they are the easiest to read, and will grow on you. The Veracruz looks very attractive, I wonder if the price will be affected by the new trade agreement.
  • maddmikemaddmike Member Posts: 12
    Not only did the ad come up about 4 or 5 times during the loccal morning news, I just saw the banner ad on Windows Live Mail (aka Hotmail).
  • carcom2carcom2 Member Posts: 212
    I went to see a CX 9. Although, it has an excellent fit and finish, because I'm looking to replace my minivan, would not even consider the CX 9. The legroom in middle is tight and forget about the 3rd row - good for kids or small people. I felt claustrophobic in this CUV. Very little room behind third row.
    Most minivan people have been saying this. A SUV will not match interior space of a minivan. There are pros and cons to both.
    You are probably not going to be impressed by any of the CUV's then. The largest of the bunch only has 19 cu. ft. behind the 3rd row. Minivan's excel in space due to their low step in height and high roof line. This allows passengers to sit more upright, giving legroom a boost and allowing more storage space. With the 2nd row slid all the way back, the CX-9's leg room is on par with any minivan. It's the 3rd row that suffers then. CUV's have higher ground clearance, allowing them a mild off-road ability. They also look quite a bit better IMHO. ;)
  • amenonamenon Member Posts: 12
    Well, I drove the sport version a couple of day's ago since the dealer did not have the touring version. Being prctically the same, here are my impressions:

1. Space: Being a previous owner of a Villager and a Mountaineer, I did feel confined in the space. I reprogrammed my brain to think this is a CUV so no comparision to a Van or a SUV. Once that was done, I think it is has decent amount of space to haul 5 adults and 2 kids (in the last row seat.)

2. Drive and Handling: Very good for such a big vehicle. But I read somewhere on the forum regarding the blind spot issue and I think it might true. I got he same feeling. Overall, I loved the handling. Cornering was great.

3. Price: Well, I priced out a Touring with 6 CD Bose and Auto dim/Homelink mirror, and I got the S-plan price of $32490 (MSRP $34,940). The dealer was offering 0.00088 Money factor for 27 months, no down. But the doc fees is listed as $170 which I want to negotiate. My payments run $445 per month.

Do experts on the forum think this is a good deal??
  • husky92husky92 Member Posts: 56

3. Price: Well, I priced out a Touring with 6 CD Bose and Auto dim/Homelink mirror, and I got the S-plan price of $32490 (MSRP $34,940). The dealer was offering 0.00088 Money factor for 27 months, no down. But the doc fees is listed as $170 which I want to negotiate. My payments run $445 per month.

Do experts on the forum think this is a good deal??

I'm amazed that people are getting a discount off MSRP on a brand new model. Or maybe I shouldn't be. I haven't been shopping for a vehicle in 3 years. Our last new car purchase was an '03 Toyota Sequoia and did get it for $500 over invoice, but that was on a vehicle in its third year of production.

So, in my opinion, it seems like a good deal.
  • fromsffromsf Member Posts: 19
    I will not buy a vehicle max of $500 above invoice. If I have to pay more than that I will buy something else.
    The CUV market is very, very competitive. Unless there is unparalleled demand for one of these new models, dealers will have to wheel and deal to keep customers from cross-shopping more often.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I'm amazed that people are getting a discount off MSRP on a brand new model. Or maybe I shouldn't be. I haven't been shopping for a vehicle in 3 years.

Take anything to do with prices with a grain of salt. It seems that more people fib about what they paid for a car than just about anything else in life....Ego plays a huge role in car buying and most folks who pay MSRP don't exactly want to brag about it.....especially on a board like this where everyone claims to buy everything at thousands below invoice...and thats before the rebates. ;)
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    Do you post on Audiworld by any chance? Saw a very similar statement posted there (in the RS4 forum, I think, where egos do run high!)
    Believe it or not, my friend, some people do know how to negotiate and saving money (and not pumping up one's ego) has everything to do with it. Good research goes a long way. Sadly, it irks some people who cannot get the same deals. Anyway, how does your post help anyone?? Fibs on prices does not impact anybody except the poster. Who cares?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    it irks some people who cannot get the same deals

Fibs on prices does not impact anybody

That is a non sequitur. In any case, feel free to scroll past messages you do not care to read. :)

tidester, host
    Hardly non sequitur. Pick any two sentences in a conversation, putting them together and calling it absurd does not change the fact that your non value added post hardly contributes to the discussion. Sorry, posting in the forum is going to get you responses whether you like it or not.
  • loachloach Member Posts: 246
    Take anything to do with prices with a grain of salt. It seems that more people fib about what they paid for a car than just about anything else in life....Ego plays a huge role in car buying and most folks who pay MSRP don't exactly want to brag about it.....especially on a board like this where everyone claims to buy everything at thousands below invoice...and thats before the rebates.

Spoken like a dealer who wants everyone to pay MSRP....

Sorry audia8q - just busting your chops. You do have to have a degree of healthy skepticism when reading these forums.
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Price reporting in these forums should be looked on as guideline only. Just a plain fact. As with anything else online, go to several sources to back up the info. If you can't verify the suggestion of great deals by at least two other reliable sources, don't get the low price stuck in your head. It will lead to disappointment.

Fact.
    I picked up my CX-9 GT Tuesday, 2/14/07. Some observations:

* Something that really impressed me is how it absorbed speed bumps. Almost like an active suspension. And no pitching rebounding. When city governments learn about this they could outlaw the suspension,
    * I drive with my left thumb & forefinger at 7:00 o'clock on the wheel. I feel no significant torque steer during WOT start.
    * Door-closing sound of all doors is that of a mega-buck limo.
    * Brake "Pinch-out" control, something I don't remember reading in a review was way above average. Pinchout control is the ability to control deceleration during the last revolution of the wheel prior to stop. As a driver, we're rarely aware of it, but if we look at our passenger's head as we come to a complete stop, we see it.
    * SST is OK ... much better than PRNDL, but I don't like it as much as the Lincoln LS version. Reason: It will still kick down at heavy throttle, and leave it in that gear until the driver calls for an upshift.
    * No Homelink in my package that I thought was loaded. A disappointment, but a decent trade-off for rain-sensing wipers.
    * Sun visors have a very nice extension to block out the sun that enters between main visor & B-Pillar.
    * Front power windows (both) have express down AND UP. Also, will respond to a tap on the switch with a 1" drop.
    * Engine sound I would describe is throaty/healthy.
    * Transmission shift quality is the best I've ever experienced.
    * Absolutely no squeaks or rattles.
    * Slight amount of wind noise at highway speed.
    * Liftgate up & down is a one-finger effort.
    * "Smart Key" that I originally thought was a gimmick is something I like very much. It has a rectangular fob about the size of a credit card, but twice as thick. It has the conventional lock/unlock buttons AND the driver only needs to have it on his/her person (pocket, purse) in order to unlock the door with a single push on a small button on the exterior door handle. Two pushes within 15 seconds unlocks all doors. Then when starting, merely turn the start knob ... no key required. The “key” stays in my pocket.
    When leaving the vehicle, one push on the little button locks all doors. It can be programmed by the dealer to automatically lock all doors when you get more than ~ 30 from the vehicle. Kinda spooky.
    * Navigation system. I now understand why the Pioneer system in other cars was rated so highly:
    Form beat function.
    The CX-9 system seems to be an improved Denso system like that in the Lincoln LS. The female voice sounds the same. It responds to "I'm Hungry" by showing restaurant icons, It usually gets my voice command right on the first try. No screen clutter when I attempt an on-screen scroll. More POI's, larger address book. Functionally far superior to the Pioneer system.

Then why did Pioneer win? Pretty graphics. The Pioneer display is much more attractive. Damn, I hate it when form wins out over function.

* Fit & finish: Excellent. No defects found yet. I did a couple of walk-arounds looking for damage and consistency of margins. The real test will come when I wash it.
    * Mirror not auto-dimming.
    * A nice feature of the nav system is the ability to tap "display" , then select any one of three screen tilt angles.
    * Screen is larger than Pioneer screen. I believe it's 7" diagonal vs. 6.5". This, when accompanied by less screen clutter, makes it much better ... for me.
    * Steering effort at highway speed is a bit too heavy for my taste. Probably due to my preference to steer with thumb & forefinger @ 7:00 o'clock position on steering wheel. The steering boost is engine speed dependent. Less boost at higher RPM. The Service manager will be attending Mazda school on the CX-9 in a few weeks. He promised to ask if the PCM can be programmed for more highway boost. EPA testing methods may disallow this.

IMPORTANT: A) Most people who drive with hands at 10 & 2 would probably be happy with the highway effort. B) Low speed parking effort is very low & should satisfy most anyone. I can do a parking maneuver by spinning the wheel with my palm.

* Some features I like:
    Rain-sensing wipers
    Sun Visor extensions
    Grocery bag storage in rear compartment well, also 4 bag hooks.
    Sliding & reclining second seat
    3-zone climate control
    "Cancel" feature on speed control.

* Very easy access to both second & third seats. The rear doors are very large, and open 70 degrees. So, if you'll ever be transporting any less-than-agile people, or have to struggle with a child's seat in the second row, this could be of value.
    * I consider the lack of a power liftgate a non-issue because: A) With its gas cylinders, it is literally one-finger to open and one finger to close & latch. B) There's a Smart Key button in the license plate area. (top right) If the smart key fob is on his/her person, touch the button to unlock, then raise the gate. This could be accomplished with a grocery bag in each hand. No need to search the purse or pocket to find a fob.
    * Transmission gear indicator is located between speedo & tach. It indicates whether in auto or manual mode, and always indicates which of the six gears is engaged.
    * "Tip-in" throttle control: It's fairly easy to get a gentle start from rest, eliminating passenger neck snapping.
    * WOT from 0-80 is very impressive ... all I need. And I like the sound.
    * Last night in a run on the expressway, I did a WOT kick-down from ~60 MPH. The only physical sensation was a prompt significant increase in acceleration. The shift indicator showed that it had done a 6-3 kick-down.
    * One reviewer complained about the necessity to raise the navigation screen (touch a button) in order to load Cds. It’s a 6-CD changer capable of playing MP3 Cds. He must really like the vehicle if he dedicates space in his report for this.

My "relationship" with a new vehicle is analogous to the initial stages of forming a relationship with a human. Traits, characteristics and appearance result in an initial attraction. Then as more becomes known, the attraction either grows or fades.

The more I drive the "9", and the more I discover about its features, the more I like it. So far, the Delight/Disappointment ratio is very high. The accumulation of all the thoughtful features causes me to feel that I've made a new very good friend that I want to spend time with. Haven't felt this way since my first Lincoln LS.

I'm trying very hard to be objective, and to avoid my tendency to validate my purchase decision. I'm sure I'm not totally successful, so you may want to apply some windage to my observations.
    Sounds great! Nice review. Thanks.
  • opusxopusx Member Posts: 3
    Nice review....keep us informed w/ updates please. Thanks so much.
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    I think his point was that if it irks somebody, it must be having an impact. Ergo, your original post, no matter how much value you think it added, contained a non sequitur.

But anyway, I know what I always like to do in a forum is rag on the host. Good call. :P
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    rag on the host.

We can take it - we're professionals. :P

tidester, host
  • neutro99neutro99 Member Posts: 8
    I think I got the first CX-9 in the entire Bay Area on last weekend 02/03! Love the car! The best feature I like? I have two car seats installed on 2nd row and just slide the 2nd row up, I(perfect height by the astronaut standard)can get into the 3rd row effortlessly! I don't think any vehicle out there can do this, even with minivan! As soon as you have both car seats block the rear door, the 3rd row can't be accessed. Amazingly CX-9 can do it! I didn't even realize this feature when I bought it!

Not to mention the great driving and handling.
    The only thing I don't like so much? the suspension is a little too hard. It is sporty and gives you good cornering but after a long ride you wish it could be a little softer and more comfortable. My cx-9 is the Sport base model.

So here is the question: would a touring or GT give me a softer suspension?

On the other note, I got to say a few good things about the dealer - Oak tree Mazda. They gave me a great deal I didn't expect to get it right now. I was planning to wait for the price to come down but I got my deal. Don't ask me the exact deal, just go there and give them your best offer. More likely or not they can beat it. They have amazing selection. The other dealer ( Capitol Mazda) I went to only have one in the show room!
    I doubt the GT would ride better just because of the larger diameter wheels. The less sidewall you have, the less the tires can soak up bumps. They didn't have a GT when I went to test drive. I drove a fairly loaded Touring model. I didn't really take it on any rough streets either. :(
  • simagicsimagic Member Posts: 84
    Thanks for a great review. Keep us informed and updated on the 9 and if you encounter any problems.....What the hell does WOT mean.
  • bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    Boohoo...I am a bitter MPV owner (-:. I do the same thing with my car seats in the MPV. I have them setup with the latch system, and I can slide them forwards, backwards, and side-to-side at will. This is a great feature when people need to access the rear seat. Hate to say it but the current MPV still has the CX-9 beat when it comes to utility and people hauling.

The problem I saw with the CX-9 is when you pull the seat handle it seems to lock into the forward position. I just don't see how a child seat can be in that seat. Maybe you could explain how you have your seats setup.

Ah...my MPV only has 60K miles, so I have a few years yet. Maybe they will eventually bring the new MPV over, if not I may end up with a CX-9. It certainly is a nice vehicle for an SUV, and is almost as useful as my MPV.

I will probably end up with it to stay in the Mazda family.
    Ok even the MPV can do it but it only has 2 captain chairs in the 2nd row, correct? The CX-9 can have 3 seats in the 2nd row and my wife is nimble enough (5'4") to sit in the middle of two car seats to take care 2 small kids. That is why we pass on the Pacific because the 3 rows model does not have bench in the 2nd row.

So I reclaim my statement: with full 7 seats in place, only CX-9 and no other family vehicle(limited to minivan, SUV, crossover) can have 2 car seats installed in 2nd row while allowing 3rd row to be accessible!

I change the subject line a bit as this can be contentious.
    I hear you Bean.
    Amazingly the CX-9 is longer and wider than your MPV.
    The CX-9 is an fantastic car/CUV/crossover whatever... and is the replacement for a MINIVAN in Mazda's line up.
    Before I get replies to the effect the CX-9 is not a MINIVAN I understand that.
    All I know is if I walked into a Mazda dealership six months ago and told the salesman "I have a husband 4 kids into sports and a dog "that salesperson would have shown me an MPV...
    Same person walks in to a Mazda dealship today they will be shown a CX-9 big improvement in all areas overall except one; real space for seven.
    To stay in the Mazda family you will have to make a comparmize, for many with a real need for 5+ seating
    this may force us to look elsewhere too bad our kids don't shrink as they get older:)

Oh CUV builders please hear our plea we need more space in the rear from thee !!! :)
    WOT = Wide Open Throttle ... Pedal to the metal.
    So I reclaim my statement: with full 7 seats in place, only CX-9 and no other family vehicle(limited to minivan, SUV, crossover) can have 2 car seats installed in 2nd row while allowing 3rd row to be accessible!

You fit 2 car seats on the 60% half of the second row?
    No. 2 car seats are on each side with one open seat in the middle. Without removing the car seat you can slide the 2nd row up and open the access for 3rd row. No fuss. That is the beauty of it!
  • extech2extech2 Member Posts: 120
    I really liked your review - any chance you could free-lance for Edmunds in the future? And keep it coming please.
    Sounds interesting. How do I get more details?
  • gdaf1gdaf1 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone here compared the Sport/Touring headlights to those in the GT? I did my GT test drive during the day, so I didn't get an opportunity to test its headlights.