Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Rabbit

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Having part(s) missing is not the same thing as being broken. It's not like the car's frame is bent out of whack, for goodness' sake. Cars have holes in the floor that are sealed with plugs. Maybe a plug or two is missing. Not a big deal; maybe they just didn't have the parts in stock. After they put the sealers in and dry up the trunk, it should be good as new.

Now, if they are making you pay for a rental car while they fix this problem, that is something I would be upset about.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    My understanding is VW pays for a rental car during the entire 4 year / 50 K warranty period, when you have warranty work being done.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    yes this is true, though i don't want to experience it!
  • denverdavodenverdavo Member Posts: 38
    What's not to like about this car? Of course, it hasn't rained, but if it does (and it's fairly rare here) I'll keep an eye on the spare tire well. I am so impressed with this car so far. I can tell the last half of the gas tank drains more quickly (something that was true for the 99 Passat too) so I'm not sure I'll be bragging about mileage initially. I drive it moderately....how many combined miles should I get on a tank? I'm guessing 300 if I'm lucky at this point...at least until it breaks in a bit.

When I start the car in the morning, I notice it does rev to about 2K RPM and then gradually drops down to less than 1K. I'm thinking it might be best to be patient during this warm up instead of throwing it in gear, huh? I did that the first morning and I could tell it was not as happy with me. The transmission might appreciate a little patience on my part, and I'll just use that as a little "meditation moment" every day. A bonding of sorts between a rabbit and a human.

Everyone says my bunny "IS SOOOOO CUTE"! I'm not sure I wanted a CUTE car, but oh well. I would have preferred SLEEK or HOT. I'm so glad I didn't get the Jetta...so many of those around, and like you said Eldaino, bunnies are VERY rare and draw attention and interest!
  • wcottwcott Member Posts: 35
    I'm at 6 weeks and still waiting for delivery of my '07.
    No word, except for the dealer mumbling something about "maybe by the end of April".
    I really wanted that sucker for an Easter roadtrip!
  • sucaelvsucaelv Member Posts: 7
    And… when you’ll finally get the car, you’ll drive it for a week and then you’ll have to take it back to the dealer for another two weeks so they can finalize what they have started in Germany. I mean… to finalize assembling the car. Because they forgot to install some parts, nothing important, so you’ll have same water in the car, some trimmings are falling off, nothing to worry about … its German engineering!!! :sick:
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    ...or none of that will happen and you'll have a fun and great car to enjoy.
    Hi Wcott...

Sorry to hear about your wait. I see you ordered a blue bunny...I have never seen one in the CO dealerships and so maybe you are waiting for a "blue" production run. They had to transfer my green bunny 550 miles since it is pretty rare too. Do they transfer among dealers like that in Canada? Black, Grey, Silver and White are easy to come down here it seems. I guess those are the colors du jour.
    Anyway, once you have it, you'll forget about the wait, I'm sure!
  • jbaustianjbaustian Member Posts: 78
    I can't directly address the quality of the 2007 Rabbit, because my daily driver is a 2003 Golf.... same car, previous generation. Never had any parts fall off, trim is all still where it belongs, no internal flooding. Just over 212k miles on it now.

But today I took it to the shop for a clutch master cylinder, or at least that's what I think it is. I should get it back tomorrow, but I had to go to Enterprise for a rental car. All they had were brand-new Honda Accords with the V-6 engine. They wanted $79 for one day, eventually got it for $49. The odometer read 28 miles when I picked it up.

I want my Golf back. Steering on the Honda is vague, and it feels bigger and less nimble. I don't like the way the driver's door won't stay open in the half-way position, or how much the parking brake sticks up so it interferes with my elbow.

And I am sure that I will misplace the Accord in a parking lot. It is easier to find a red Golf/Rabbit in a crowded parking lot than a Honda or Toyota of any color.

I've had other rental cars, and I suppose the Honda Accord is the best of a sorry lot. But I prefer my well-used VW to the brand-new Honda.
  • sucaelvsucaelv Member Posts: 7
    ...and they could change their spot on tv... and say... "German engineering, MAYBE you'll get a good one!!!" :)))
  • bpeachee1bpeachee1 Member Posts: 19
    so is the San Francisco Bay Area, the only place in the country where there is a good supply of Rabbits?
    I've never actually ordered a car before, because the dealers always seem to get something close to what I want in stock.
    Got my black 2 door in June of last year, just after they started rolling off the line...although I notice on my door jam that it was produced in April 06...so it took 2 months to get over here.
    For those that have to wait...its worth it!
    sucaely, i'm sorry your situation sucks, but its one in a million. You are the only poster with such a problem. It doesn't make it a bad car.

If it happened to an accord no one would think twice just because its a honda.

Sorry about your troubles, but my rabbit is going strong.

To let everyone know, i've got 14900 on the odometer!
    If it makes you feel any better, my last vehicle, a 2005 Toyota Tacoma would flood the interior of the cab whenever it rained. (Seriously, not making that up), so it can happen to any manufacturer.

...and yes, my windows were up thank you very much ;-)
    hey den! Its ok, i get the 'sooo cute' comments too, but its a good thing. The rabbit is cute, without being too cute or ordinairy.

The vw 2.5 has a habit of what you describe it does in the morning when the engine is cold. It should take just a few seconds; the car wont lurch forward or backward if you wait for it to get just above or below 1k rpms. And you get some extra bonding time! ;)

My wife and i drive A LOT. Our commute is over 30 miles a day. We do about 85% highway and the rest is streets and cities. The best tank i ever got was about 350 miles to one tank. It'll get better. I usually can predict a good tank by seeing how far i can go before i've used a quarter of the whole tank; if i make it pass 100 miles, i'm good. At 100 or a little less, thats just average.

Enjoy your bunny!
    Actually, I originally wanted a blue Rabbit (with auto, alloys, ESP, and Convenience Pkg), but after a whole day of checking, the dealer told me that he couldn't find one anywhere near ("near" being less than 3 time zones away) and the only way I'd get a blue one was to order one to be built at the factory.
    He did, however, locate a United Grey one with the same options coming over on a boat from Europe. It's probably sitting on a dock someplace on the East Coast as we speak.
    On the other hand - we're having a spring blizzard up here today, and I'd rather not have to drive my very first brand-new car through foot-deep snowdrifts and ice-covered roads.
    United Grey would be fairly easy to find around Denver. It seems like most are coming in from the port of Houston. I've never seen a blue bunny, and only 2 other green ones. It will be worth your wait for whatever color you end up with.

And the good news...my insurance will be lower! Thanks probably to the extra rear airbags and ESP.

What is the "convenience package" per se? I don't remember anything being listed as such.

I'm down to about 1/8th tank of gas left, and I'm at about 300 miles. So, I think I'm doing pretty well, huh? Hopefully I'll see the low fuel light appear shortly. I admit, I haven't even had time to look at the manual so I don't even know if there is a low fuel light!

When people see me (6'4") get out of the Rabbit, they are amazed I fit in it. Then I show them the leg room and how it has more than the Camry did. Then they are amazed even more, and in fact, I have some neighbors who want one now! The only thing I miss about the Camry (and believe me, I'll get over it quickly) is the automatic climate control system. It's not available on the bunny to my knowledge.

I hate to leave the bunny in the garage on Easter, but I HAVE to go on my first Caribbean cruise! I will miss my car...I have completely bonded with it in a matter of only 4 days!
    den there is one, it'll come on soon!

Sorry about not being able to bond...don't worry you'll have time when you get back!
    sorry about having to wait so long man! shadow blue is a cool color, i've only seen 1 rabbit like that. On the other hand i have never seen another united gray; just silvers. Its a cool color!
    The Convenience Package consists of : heated seats, heated windshield wiper fluid nozzles, premium stereo system, and f/r mats. Maybe it's only in Canada, I don't know.
    All that for 605 dollars.
    Trust me, the heated seats would come in handy on a day like today here!
    I'm 6 foot and I was really impressed with the inside room. And that was comparing it to the Subaru Impreza, Dodge Caliber, and Mazda.
    i think this is becoming an option in 2008 for the 2 door; as of right now i don't think its availble for the 2 door, just the 4 door.
    I have those features on my 4 door...although I'm not sure about the heated washers. But it had the other things you mentioned, although they are part of the standard package, not an option.

Does that fuel light come on when the needle hits empty? I'm barely one mark above empty and still no light. The manual says it will come on when there is 1.8 gallons left.
    I have 320 miles on this first tank, so I think it's already doing better than the Camry!
    Oh my...I was looking in the wrong place for the fuel light. It came on above the clock, and may have been on a while. I put in 13.5 gallons...only one left! Got about 24 MPG...not bad on the first tank!
    I've heard two stories....one, is that the 07 Rabbit doesn't come with frost plugs in the engine block, thereby not being able to install a block heater for cold Canadian winters. My dealer says my 07 will have only an adhesive electric oil-pan warmer.
    However, other posters have said that their '07's DID come with block heaters...or at least were available for aftermarket installation.
    Can anyone verify which statement is correct?
    Although I'll miss those Caribbean waters, I was glad to come home to drive the bunny some more. No rattles yet...tight as can be. I might actually start reading the manual now!

I've heard we can have the dealer program the car not to lock the doors when it hits 10 mph. There are 3 options actually. Have any of you heard about this?

And, what's up with the hatch release...it seems like sometimes I have to touch the W release twice before it will open the hatch, and other times only once. I'm sure there's a reason for this. I know...it's probably all spelled out in the manual, right? I'll put it on the bedstand and read a page or two every night.

Someone told me it looked "sporty" today...I liked that better than "cute"! But, mostly I love the fact that it is such a rare car on the roads...it really turns heads. I love this car...very fun to drive and has a sporty feel.

How's everyone doing out there with their rabbits?
    Why would you not want to have the doors lock? It is safer to drive with doors locked as they are less likely to fly open in an accident.

I do know you can have the locks programed so that they will all unlock when you turn the car off and pull the key out. We had our Jetta programmed that way. Note that the auto unlock will only do it's thing if you allowed the doors to auto lock, if you manually lock a door it will not auto-unlock.

I believe that those with the multi-function computer can change the programming themselves.
    Thanks, Jeffyscott....yes I think it is best to have the doors lock, and I like your program option. There is a 3rd option as well, but I don't remember what they told me. Anyway, it's nice to have the back hatch ready to be opened after you exit the car. And when the car is in the garage, it's nice to have all the doors accessible at any time.

The little hatch release button seems strange...when I pull on it, there is no noice...I know it's electronic, but one would think it would give you an indication that the hatch had been unlocked? And, any ideas on the double-functioning hatch release on the hatch itself?
    Yeah on my GTI I've noticed that the behavior of the hatch release doesn't always seem to be consistant. I'm sure there is an actual reason for it, but I haven't necessarily figured out why sometimes it works and sometimes it is still locked. I'm sure there is logic behind it (and probably is spelled out in the manual, I've just been too lazy to look).
  • hidingbackwardhidingbackward Member Posts: 19
    I've actually posted a similar msg about a month ago with no response..hoping for a 2nd time others may have heard of this problem..

I have a 2007 rabbit with 3,100 miles on it that has had 3 out-of-round tires in the same location - drivers side front. Each time that the tire was found to be defective all other tires were checked to make sure they weren't out of round; and still has only been in that same location. After 2nd brand new tire I took in my car to dealer. Dealer found nothing mechanical...however they thought it was unusual. Now this is my 3rd out-of-round tire and I will be taking in my car again. Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem on the rabbit/golf? It seems it takes a few weeks after getting new tire for it to become out-of-round, so i find it difficult dealer doesn't see anything mechanical. It is really bothersome, considering it makes my overall driving experience really unpleasant.
    I would appreciate any feedback to this very annoying problem.
    There is a 3rd option as well, but I don't remember what they told me.

I think our manual has the programming instructions and shows what the choices are, even though our car is not equipped to allow us to do this ourselves. The three may be all doors unlock, driver's door only, and no doors unlock. Not sure if the hatch would be included in the "all doors" choice...I do know our trunk does not unlock when key is pulled from ingition ;) .
    I can't imagine how the car could affect a tire in this way, so it is probably just coincidence that you had two bad tires in a row, but if you want to be sure you could maybe put the new tire in a different location and move one of the existing ones to the problem spot and see if it goes bad.
    yeah that has been tried also...it seems that no matter which tire is placed on drivers side front always goes out-of-round..

its just so strange.. :confuse:
    oh...that is wierd then...
    hey den! glad you had a good vacation.

The bunny is doing great, got 15600 on her right now. Had to reset the maintanence minder since the dealer set it to go off at 15k when i'm not due until 20k like the manual says.

As far as the trunk release goes, i used to think that there was something wrong with it too; there isnt. I actually did read this in the manual too; you have to HOLD the hatch release for about 2 seconds. Thats all it is. don't just press it, hold it for a couple of seconds. Thats just how it works. Dunno why, i guess its a safety thing, but its not that its being unresponsive, its just programmed to be that way. if this gets annoying i just hit the hactch release button on my side of the car; it doesn't make a sound or let you know that you pushed it, but it will unlock the hatch.

I know i love the feeling of never seeing my car on the road.

I like the auto door lock feature, we don't have a garage, since we live in an apartment, but maybe ill get shim reprogrammed when we do get our own place!
    Thanks, Eldaino...
    Okay...sometimes...and I can't yet figure out when...I have to push the W symbol on the hatch a SECOND time to get it to open. The first push seems to disengage the hatch halfway, then the second push on the W releases it completely to open. Of course, I just went to test it in all ways I could think of, and I couldn't get it to repeat what I just said. It opened everytime on the first push of the W. So...just a little mystery if anyone has any thoughts.

Also, I keep messing with the stereo to see what combination of settings gives the best sound. I have the 4 door, so I know it's a bit of an upgraded stereo. But frankly, I just don't think the sound is as full and rich as it should be considering all the speakers, etc. I move the fader towards the front...it helped a bit...but still...is there something I'm missing or am I just going deaf? My XLE Camry had a better sound. But, I do love the functions on this radio. Thanks...
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    It's probably a problem with the wheel hub, not the tire (the wheel hub attached to the axle).
    when I took it in I asked them specifically to check the wheel hub,making sure it was centered not defective, etc. and they said everything looked fine...

I will be taking the car in again next week and -hopefully- they can find the problem. I will keep you guys posted...
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    Does anyone know if VW will be offering a diesel version of the Rabbit for 2008?
    the clean diesel jetta should be coming out in 2008...and when the sportwagen debuts ( a wagon version of the rabbit/jetta) it will initially be released with the revised 2.5, then the 2.0t and the 2.0 tdi will be the last to show up...but i have yet to hear anything about the diesel rabbit, i think they will, but we are gonna see sportwagen and jetta versions first.
  • jbaustianjbaustian Member Posts: 78
    It's looking pretty certain that a Jetta TDI will be available in the March-May 2008 timeframe. There's no reason why the Rabbit TDI shouldn't go on sale at about the same time. The Jetta TDI is supposed to have a 2.0-liter engine -- I assume the Rabbit will get the same engine and not a new version of the recent 1.9-liter engine.

A Jetta wagon is coming soon -- it should get the TDI engine when the other Jettas do.

I do not know if the New Beetle TDI will be back -- VWoA is only selling about 28k New Beetles a year, and the numbers keep dropping year by year.

A lot of folks are looking forward to the Tiguan all-wheel-drive model, which was introduced at the Los Angeles Auto Show with a TDI engine. It could go on sale in autumn 2008.

No firm information on a TDI option for the Passat.

I read last week that the number of manufacturers planning to offer diesel engines is now up to eight. Most of these will be coming for the 2009 and 2010 model years. So it would be a shame if some other company gets diesel-engine cars into the showrooms before Volkswagen can.
  • chiefjojochiefjojo Member Posts: 39
    VW needs to release the TDIs ASAP. As someone said, a Rabbit TDI 4-door with solid performance and 40mpg will be a HUGE sales winner. I would strongly consider buying one.
  • ike3ike3 Member Posts: 81
    Did I hear right that production has been ceased for 2007? And that 2008 production is about to or has started? In late April?
    The 2 door US Rabbit will get what was already on the 2007 Canadian Rabbit. A center armrest/console and the upgraded 170 horsepower 2.5 litre engine. Beyond that, are there any other changes?
    totally. I like the sportwagen, but i know that if it came down to it, i'd probably take the 2.0t. Give me a bunny with a tdi badge and the mileage to match and i got a solid performer with great fuel economy and a place for my dog/drums/stuff etc.
    the trim levels have changed names. I think its like the rabbit s or something like that.

standard armrest? nice. i'll have to order it . I don't think that there are any other changes tho, i've already heard about the 2.5's upgrades, (its an ecu reflash and a modified intake manifold, both things that 150hp 2.5 owners can get done.)
  • erikerik Member Posts: 21
    The fifth generation Gold/Rabbit was released in Europe three years ago with a sweet 16 valve 2.0 liter engine. Too bad, the NA market was stuck with the old body style until this year. I would love the G5 TDI, but V of A has there dipstick where da sun doesnt shine.

Smoke you later
    this engine would never work in our market; yes the mileage would be better than the 2.5 now, but with all that weight to lug around, it would hardly be nimble and peppy the way the rabbit is now....europeans worry more about gas seeing as how much more expensive it is over there, then acceleration times it seems, which is why the 2.5 is excluxsive to our market.
  • golfievetgolfievet Member Posts: 3
    The 2008 production model should hit the dealers showroom by mid August 2007. Aside from the 170HP 2.5 litre engine, the new production model will have a revised front end similar to other VW products, like the 2007 Jetta.

See the following site for preview pictures of the new Rabbit model (called Golf V in Europe): http://www.3harts.nl/golfV/
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    That's too bad, about the new Jetta-like front end. I prefer the snout of the current Rabbit to the chrome-chinned Jetta's nose.
    don't worry backster, i dunno how rock solid this is; i posted this site awhile back, because it has some pics of what the next gen mk6 could look like, but A LOT of the pics here are totally photoshopped, i have not heard that the front end will get the chrome treatment, since the noses of the jetta and rabbit are exactly the same, the rabbits being body colored just to differentiate the two models. I doubt it will change.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ....VW needs to release the TDIs ASAP. As someone said, a Rabbit TDI 4-door with solid performance and 40mpg will be a HUGE sales winner. I would strongly consider buying one.

What's in my garage: 1982 Rabbit Diesel Pickup....52HP, 5M, air........55 MPG @ 55 MPH (go faster; less fuel efficiency)
    odo 290k.

What I would like in my garage: a NEW diesel pickup with about the same parameters........

..realizing that people in Hell want ice water.......

..ez..
    Hi! I've got about 1,200 miles on the new bunny and he/she is still purring right along! I got a chance to really use the anti-lock brakes the other day when someone switched lanes into me at a fairly low speed. I'm happy to report that they seemed to work rather well! A few questions have popped up however:

1. In Denver, the regular unleaded is 85 octane. I've burned some of that and the 87 octane mid grade as well. The book calls for 87 as a minimum, and I know this would be important on a turbo, but how important is it with the 2.5 to burn 87 or more? I didn't notice any performance issues with the lower octane, but I don't want to cause any long-term harm to the engine.

2. I just noticed that all the bunnies on the dealers lot have the stumpy antennas. Mine is the long one...what gives? Somewhere I saw someone refer to a different antenna, but what is the price and pros & cons? I guess I don't mind the longer antenna, but after seeing the squatty thing, I thought they looked pretty sleek.

I've been getting about 24 MPG with a 25/75 hwy/city mix. I guess that's not too bad, huh? With gas at $3.10, it would be nice to get about 34, but at least I don't drive too much for the most part.

Overall, I'm very pleased so far with this car. I have a hunch I might get some more dates too! LOL My only complaints would be the somewhat lackluster sound quality from a stereo that has 10 speakers. Any ideas on how to improve this? In the late 90's, VW offered some sort of add-on to boost the sound quality. I don't remember what they called that. Anyway, thanks for your help everyone! I might write about separate topics under another heading.
    David
This discussion has been closed.