Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• mem4mem4 Member Posts: 52
    What features does the Camry have that the Limited Avalon doesn't have?

Why would Toyota doing poorly hurt GM? They do have a limited joint venture in building Corollas but that's about it. If GM goes under Toyota benefits. With the products GM has been producing they deserve to go under.

If you are really so upset with Toyota and not a troll then why did you order an Avalon?
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    Do you have any idea in what way(s) the Smart Key remote was redesigned?
  • mem4mem4 Member Posts: 52
    I tried to cut and paste the drawing from the Toyota bulletin but it didn't work. Basically they just re-arranged the buttons, not adding or removing any functions.
    Thanks.
  • cincinnatibradcincinnatibrad Member Posts: 7
    The Camry has the 6 speed trans, MP3 input, plasmacluster, blue tooth, and appearantly a better nav system (though I am not familiar with the nav systems).
    Sorry, I meant to say so GM doesn't go out of business. I seem to recall in various press releases that the CEO of Toyota doesn't want GM to fail, and that this does impact their pricing strategy.
  • setter1setter1 Member Posts: 7
    What is so bad about the Nav system on the Avalon. The consumer reviews I have read on line for the most part say it's great. My 2007 Limited which will be in next week has the Nav system so I will post my opinion when I try it out.
  • bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    setter1: Good luck!! I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO sorry I got the Nav System---$2K for a JOKE-----hard to program--house has been here for years---can't find it--also, it will send you WAY OUT of the way to get places. My bad for not doing more resesrch--I "assumed" it was touch screen vs toggle control. Maybe you're more mechanically inclined---if not--get ready to be frustrated! Read the Forum Postings on the Nav System--its 20th Century technology in a 21st Century world.
    Bob
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Here's the link to the discussion bobwiley mentions: Avalon Navigation System.
  • collbcollb Member Posts: 2
    As a satisfied Avalon owner of a 2002 Avalon I have been following the messages for several months to check out the changes and looking forward to a new 2007 Avalon and was extremely unhappy to see that there would be very little to bring the 2007 model up to the changes made in the Camry. I started checking out the 2007 Lexus and found that I could buy the 2007 Lexus E350 for about the same price as the Avalon. I was quoted a
    2006 Avalon top model here in Ft. Myers for 37,000. I bought the news Lexus 2007 E350
    with all the features of the 2007 Camry plus several other features for $34,000 and received Edmunds trade in value for my Avalon at Scanlon Lexus in Ft. Myers in a no hassle atmosphere. Thought some other Toyota Avalon owners might be interested.Collb
  • jrjhmjrjhm Member Posts: 26
    I have been pricing the ES 350 for about 2 months and the BEST price I can get for one equipped with nav (not Mark Levinson), premium plus package,and AFS is $38000. I have worn this poor guy down to the point I'm feeling sorry for him and that is as low as he will go. This is in upstate New York, maybe it's different in Fl. If so I'm buying me a ticket.
  • collbcollb Member Posts: 2
    jrjhm - The 2007 Lexus I purchased does is not equipped with the Navigation system as the reports that I have been reading from owners of the system as installed in the Avalon was not described as being very easy to operated or very accurate. The optional equipment that was installed on my Lexus was Rear Seat Side Airbags/Bluetooth Audiio/ Premium Package which includes Leather Trim Interior with memory for Drivers Seat, Outside Mirrors and Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Wheel/Wood and Leather Steering Wheel/and the preferred Accessory Package which includes the trunk mat, Cargo net and Wheel Locks. The preferred Accessory package was not charged to us at closing as we specified a color which was not available at our dealer and was already installed on the car of that color located at a Sarasota dealer. So we were not charged the $194.00 for those items . We had to make a trip north to Kentucky a week after delivery and have been very satisfied with the operation of the ES350 and appear to be getting excellent mileage although we are still trying to figure out all of the "bells and whistles" that are standard on this auto and different from the Avalon.
    Took delivery on my 2007 Avalon Limited. The car is awesome. Don't understand the gripes about the Nav. system. It has been a breeze to operate and has been very accurate so far. Maybe they changed something in it this year. My cousin has a new Audi and I would say the Nav systems are very similar as far as ease of use and accuracy. I road tested a number of cars, before settling on the Avalon, from the Benz to the Buick and most in between. Dollar for dollar the Avalon is the best of the lot ( in my opinion ). At first I was disappointed about not having bluetooth or mp3 but neither was a deal breaker. The XM radio meets my needs for music and I wear my bluetooth earpiece for the phone. One recommendation I would pass on is definitely get the side molding. I did and it doesn't affect the look of the car at all and will certainly protect it from the parking lot dings.
    Okay, I'm sure you'll love it. I think the 350's nav is quite good and it comes with a back-up camera that's pretty cool. I really would like the steering wheel memory that the Avalon doesn't have but I'll probably end up with the Avalon anyway since the other half likes the size. Good luck with the 350.
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    is a nice car for sure, but noticeably less spacious inside than the Avalon. You can't get something for nothing...take your pick between more luxury features or more room.
  • econprofeconprof Member Posts: 1
    Setter1: Can you tell us about the antenna for the xm radio? How is it mounted?

Thanks.
    It's on the shelf behind the back seat. Virtually unnoticeable
  • rxdocrxdoc Member Posts: 4
    I took the 2007 Avalon for a test drive over the weekend. I am in Phoenix and it seems that all the cars here now come with a dealer add on of the body side moldings (MSRP $160-170). Does anybody have the invoice price on these or an aftermarket site I can price compare it to? The dealer here is also adding $395 for the tint job they have done on the windows. What would be reasonable price for a good tint job? Last thing, it may be a little of subject for this area, but I may as well ask it while I am here. Has anyone installed the BlueConnect aftermarket bluetooth in their Avalon themselves? The installation video makes it look pretty simple and a local place wanted $200-300 just to install it.
    Thanks
    I can only comment on the window tinting. I had my '06 Limited tinted with the top-of-the-line Sun Gard tint (Diamond) in Quartz (non-metallic) for $235 (all windows except the windshield). This is higher than the other shops in town, however, this shop uses the best tint and does the best work. I'm in the Pacific Northwest.
  • chua-sanchua-san Member Posts: 9
    Hello,

I am in the process to purchase a 2007 Avalon Touring, and right now I am doing some research on the insurance. Can someone please tell me which "category" is Avalon's OEM anti-theft alram? Thank you for your help
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    Do a search in the Avalon 2005+ forum and you'll find plenty of info on side moldings.
  • amc697amc697 Member Posts: 9
    I am shopping for the Limited in NYC area. Why is Laser Cruise Control not offered.
    limiteddriver----got mine installed $150 at the dealers! Best $150 I spent--they work!!
    Bob
    I just picked up my '07 Avalon on Sept 30th and I have Nav, Remote start and Laser Cruise, so it's available. By the way I heard so many negative comments on the Nav system that I almost didn't get it. Fortunately I did and I'm very happy with it. I don't know what all the fuss is about. While I was in the Atlantic City area I looked for a golf course on the Nav system, it gave me the phone number and took me right to the parking lot and I barely knew how to operate it.
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Member Posts: 154
    rxdoc... maybe this will help.. I have an 07 avy and have been considering getting body side moldings as well as door edge guards...purely by chance I came across a toyota website out of dallas that deals in toyota parts so I emailed them and asked them if they had moldings and edge guards for my 07... below is an snippet of the return email I got from them:

"The parts you are looking for PT29a-07060-08 the cost is $95.45 this is the body side moldings and the door edge guards are part #00012-40519-08 and the cost is $51.75"

of course thats just for the parts, not sure what the dealership would charge to install them... speaking of, anyone out there have body moldings on their cars... I would like to know if they have an adverse effect on the overlook of the vehicle. Havent seen any avys with them but would hate to put them on my car and then be unhappy with the overall look.

Roland
  • tootall55tootall55 Member Posts: 4
    I haven't seen any Avys with the body side moldings, but was wondering if other owners feels it's necessary. I have gotten door dings on prior cars that had them.
  • amc697amc697 Member Posts: 9
    When you go to "build your own car" on Toyota.com and enter a New York zip code, Laser Cruise Control is not offered as an option!
    I live in New York and I have a 2007 Avalon with laser Cruise (purchased in New York) sitting in my driveway.
    Isn't it the Limited version of the Avalon that has the laser cruise as an option? Maybe that's the problem amc697 had?
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    I have the body side moldings on my 06 Avalon & think they improve the side view 100%. I'm on the only one, as I've had 5 other Avalon owners comment very favorably on the improved looks.
    Had concerns when I ordered 07 Avalon about look of side moldings. Took a chance and ordered them. Mine is Blizzard Pearl Limited. Absolutely comliments the car. Visually gives it a lower sleeker look. Obviously thats just an optical illusion but if you see 2 together 1 with 1 without you will see what I mean. So glad I ordered them. Also just came back from a 2500 mile golf trip over a 3 week period in 4 different states. Thank God for the Nav System. I never fully read the instructions ( never do ) and it got me every place I wanted around detours and the fastest way. Adjusts itself immediately if you go off course. I think it is great. Actually it paid for itself in Wash. DC. If you ever got lost in DC you would know what I mean. I hit the home button and I was back on the highway in a flash.

Hope this was helpful, I love this car.
    Yes,as far as I know that's correct.
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Member Posts: 84
    Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but in the Nov. 6 issue of Newsweek, I recognized a name that will be familiar to regular readers of the Avalon boards - Bob Wiley, who was quoted on his decision to go with the Avalon rather than a product from one of the Detroit Big 3. Way to go, Bob! How's it feel to be a national celeb? (hehe) Just out of curiosity, how did Newsweek reach you? Was it from seeing yours comments about the Avalon here at CarSpace/Edmunds? And how do you feel about the feedback in the Nov. 19 Newsweek Letters to the Editor? BTW, I agreed with your comments whole-heartedly, as I'm sure most of the readers of this Board would, too!
  • goateegoatee Member Posts: 51
    My wish for the 07 Avalon is to be able to get into the Toyota website without having to use Adobe Flash player. Should be able to just click on Toyot.com and click away.
    gohawaiian: I got an email from Edmunds about a guy from Newsweek who wanted to talk to folks who bought foreign vs US. I called and he called me back and ater some general 'chit chat"--we talked for 45 minutes! I don't get Newsweek--so I'll have to get a copy! I just tried to be honest--I told him 10 years ago you'd have to hold a gun to my head before I'd have bought foreign made cars. I just hope the Big 3 read and listen! I did see where the Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan have "Excellent" quality reviews. Thanks for the input---and no--my head hasn't gotten to big--well, maybe a bit bigger--ha ha!!!
    Bob
  • toyman2toyman2 Member Posts: 9
    Actually, I wasn't concerned about dings when I decided to have them installed on my 2007 Avalon LTD. It's for looks too. If they were a bit wider and with a strip of chrome, it'd look like an LS.

Don't hesitate, makes the car look much better by breaking up the wide flanks.
  • tootall55tootall55 Member Posts: 4
    Did you have the dealer install the side moldings or were they after-market? Do you know if they just use an adhesive? What did it cost you?
  • jpa3jpa3 Member Posts: 1
    yes, i just picked mine up a limited w/laser. the one thing i can not believe is, it will not play MP3s, hey the Camry's even can, may be an option? but it is not even an option on Avalon's 2007
    To whomever sent me the instructions on removing the annoying seat belt chimes from my xls avalon... GOD BLESS YOU. I can't thank you enough.. I bought the car new in september.. and every day since then I've been listening to the same 59 bells each and every time I start it up without the seat belt on....now, thanks to you, it only rings 5 times, and thats at startup, not after I start driving down the road...Of course my wife had another solution... wear the seatbelt. now that leads me to another question, the proceedure that you had me go thru to change the seatbelt chimes, does that have any other bearing on the car, like air bags on and off or anything else you might think of..

Roland
    Pat... it's my understanding that you can purchase an adaptor that will play your mp3's thru the casset player in the car. hope this helps.

Roland
    ok boys help me out here... when I bought my 07 avy the only thing I hated about it was the fact that the seat belt chime would ring 59 times before shutting off. then someone on this board sent me instructions on how to bypass the chimes and it worked perfectly.. but almost immediately after doing that I noticed a light on the dash that I never noticed before. over to the right on the dash, when i first start my engine, there is a light that says "passenger", just below that are two icons that look like seats.. as you're looking at the dash, the icon on the left says "off", the icon on the right says "on". does that mean when I bypassed the seat belt chime that I also turned off my drivers side air bag? and if so, can I turn it back on by repeating the process I used to bypass the seatbelt chime...heck, I'll start wearing the damn seatbelt if I have to, but i sure dont want to travel without that airbag on. any help you can offer will certainly be appreciated... thanks.

Roland
    I know it's not much help but there is no sense having an air bag if you don't wear your seatbelt. They airbag is only effective if your wearing your seatbelt.
  • jerforceonejerforceone Member Posts: 3
    could you send them to me too. I just got a 2007 Limited. Whenever i'm taking my dog in to the groomers it goes off. If i stop and reverse and the go forward again, it starts all over. I would love to know how to turn it off. By the way, did you get an answer to whether or not it also turns off the airbag?
  • kublerkubler Member Posts: 7
    As rpfingsten stated, the indicator on the dashboard says that its off. I would trust the indicator light. Further, as jrjhm stated, airbags are not effective without the seat belts. Why not just wear the belts?
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    The indicator on the dashboard is for the passenger side bag. It reads "airbag off" when there is noone sitting in the seat or someone is too light to activate the sensor (small child). When I sit my briefcase on the front seat the indicator often changes to "airbag on" because of the weight. Same result when an adult passenger sits in the seat. It has worked that way before and after I disabled the chime. Do you really think that Toyota would cut the airbags (all 9 of them) just for disabling the chime?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

In the Avalon 2005+ discussion post # 13326 has the procedure to disable the chime.

Why not create a guide with those steps? That would make it easier to find, I think, than being buried amongst tens of thousands of messages. ;)
    If you can't find it there, I also posted (with Pat's suggestion) a guide under the interior category.

I do wear my seatbelt. I was asking for clarification on whether or not turning the chime off turned off the airbag because i wouldn't want to have the airbags off if my wife or someone was in the front seat and had their seatbelt on. I wanted the chime off because of the dog, he's heavy enough to make the car thing someone is sitting there without a seatbelt on.

Anyway, as someone posted below, it's very doubtful that turning the chime off would disable the airbags. And since i followed the directions that were in the 2005+ Avalon section for turning off the chime, it works great and i don't get the airbag message anyway, so the point is moot.
    Thanks, worked like a charm!!!
  • northwestohio1northwestohio1 Member Posts: 8
    We are planning a long road trip and need more storage space than the trunk provides. Have looked at Yakima roof rack system, but concerned about door seals when installed. Anyone install such a system on the 06 Avalon? Thanks
This discussion has been closed.