Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu vs. Toyota Camry vs. Honda Accord

Comments

• bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Yes, the Accord engine is a well rounded engine. Not saying its perfect, but the 4cyl is an engine that likes to be wound up. I am not sure you can really say that about a GM 4cyl. However, couple it with a better transmission and controls, it would be a huge improvement. That is the culprit to the GM engine.

I bet the new Equinox will be nice, but then again, why are we offering yet another SUV? They are only now thinking green, because they are being forced to do so. I would much rather have a VW Tiquan, its got a 2.0T. Not as good of mileage, but I can feel confident, and have more fun!!

Drive what you want. Its just my take on it.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    The Equinox is NOT a SUV which has a frame. This is a crossover which is built on a car unibody and can come with either FWD or AWD in which a SUV comes with 4 Wheel drive and gets a whole lot worst gas mileage. This is a replacement for the Trailblazer SUV which was discontinued last fall.
  • butch100butch100 Member Posts: 28
    GM can't build a good 4?, I guess you've never heard of the Cobolt SS, it's 260HP 4 blows any Honda 4 completely out of the water. Also faster than the Accord V6 as well..
    Right, and for an extra $500 GM has a stage 1 kit that bumps that up another 30 HP for a total of 290hp and all under warranty.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I can turbocharge my Snapper and give it more horses but it doesn't make it any more than a really fast lawn-mower engine.

Personally, I'm not even close to being in the market for one of these cars, but do love the smoothness of the Honda 2.4L. Engine power nonwithstanding, its a fantastic engine, at least it is in the 2003-2007 Accord, which I happen to drive. Delivering 36+mpg on every trip at 75mph, and takes an 8 second run to 60 MPH.

I haven't driven a current GM 2.4L so I can't testify to how smooth or not it may be, but I did want to mention that horsepower isn't the only way you classify a "good 4."
    Honestly, I would not feel safe in a cobalt. It would simply crumble in an accident.
    People looking for an Accord, are less likely to be looking at a Cobalt. Though, you may have more power in the Cobalt, the Accord and Cobalt are 2 different cars all together. Differences are greatly noted.

I have to agree, the 06 Accord 4cyl is a great engine, no race car, but had confidence, quality, power. You have to understand I came from this engine, to the GM 4cyl, and it is simply NIGHT and DAY difference. My 06 Accord would blow the my 4cyl GM engine away. Got better mileage too. But, then again people getting an Accord are not out looking to race a Cobalt either. I would never dream of racing my 06 Accord 4cyl. I truly babied that car. Atleast, if I did push my Accord to feel it pull a bit on the interstate, it didn't feel, sound like it was straining as the GM car does.
    All cars are designed with "crumple zones" that will help dissipate energy in a crash. It's tough to compare Cobolt/Accord as they are totally different classes of car. Cobolt is an A to B basic transpo. where the accord is gotten to damm near the size of an Impala. It's a much nicer car than the Cobolt but for a lot more $$$ too..
    The Cobalt gets a 4-star rating for the driver from the NTHSA, 3-stars on the side impact, with Side Airbags.

How about we talk about the Malibu instead of the Cobalt?
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    No fun if it has no power. They are fine for compacts but in a mid-size loaded up, forget it!

Disagree. I have a 2007 Mazda 5 (a micro-minivan, same platform as a Mazda 3). I also have a 2005 Acura TL, which is a 6 cyl. Guess what - the Mazda is more FUN to drive, as it is agile and has very tight steering. The Acura is a powerful highway cruiser and accelerates great (if you like that automatic lag when you punch it). But the Mazda is FUN.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    If all you want from an engine is horsepower, you can get that at a low price. If you want refinement, power, smoothness, reliability, and efficiency, you will have to look a lot harder, and probably pay a little more. Fun is defined differently also. Some see light weight, tight steering, firm suspension, and a responsive gearbox as the attributes they require for "Fun". Some are even more demanding, and want power to go along with all the rest. The 7th gen Accord V6 is a great package that has all these qualities. I know past Malibu models have not been refined, agile, or very powerful. I find it hard to believe GM has suddenly learned how to get all these things right with one model. Maybe they have, but I seriously doubt it. Previous Malibus were good, when new. They aged quickly however, and the lack of refinement, and quality showed up in short order.
    Nice response! I agree! Exactly, that puts the fact on whether or not the New Malibu's guts are any different than the previous Malibu model? Is it magically better? Only time will tell. You can put on a pretty face, but when the soul is lacking, well it'll surely uncover itself later on.

There are many new models arriving, look appealing. But, all lead to that very same question. I am not convinced the whole package is there yet.

I would love to compare these cars in say 5 years from now, see all their records, how their holding up. I would actually say, during the 5yrs, push a them a bit.
    It would be an interesting look on how they stand up to time.

That would be a test for GM, to design a car that doesn't have silly parts going bad early in the game. I have already had a new catalytic converter replaced at 15,000miles, on my 08 GM. Oh, ya, and a window switch because I could not roll my windows down... Twice! I have had about 3 rentals, kept one for a week, others for 2 days or so.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    ".....Nice response! I agree! Exactly, that puts the fact on whether or not the New Malibu's guts are any different than the previous Malibu model? Is it magically better? Only time will tell."

If what you mean by "guts" is the platform, the previous 2 Malibu's were W bodies, whereas the new Malibu is an epsilon platform. I believe the MAXX version was an epsilon as well.
    Yes, but I was referring to its overall parts used. Which are probably all the same. Nothing too new. That will only shown in time.
    Oh, no. While the 2.4L is a carryover, the 6 sp auto and 3.6L v6 are new to the model. The V6 generally gets good reviews for an engine.

Where I think GM is missing it is the fact that while Toyota and Honda use 1 car for the $20-30K midsize price range (MSRP) Chevy uses 2. You can find a $30K Camry or Accord, but not a Malibu. That price range is left to the Impala, and that car sits on an antiquated platform. So, the Camcord can outclass it's GM competition on the high end with features, AND lay claim to the best selling models each year, because they use one model. I don't know about the last couple of years, but up to a couple years ago, Chevy was selling more cars in that category, just spread over 2 models (Malibu and Impala) instead of 1 (Camry or Accord).

So, the imports score on 2 fronts; Better equiping the high end ($24K and up) versions, plus having a more refined driveline on the lower end, AND the perception that they "must be better because they sell more" which they didn't, because it was spread over 2 models.
    I think, if you subtracted the fleet sales of the Impala, and Malibu (which are considerable), I they would still come up short, as far as consumer sales, compared to the Accord. It would probably be pretty close. I don't think sales numbers mean much in the "which car is better" debate any way. The fact is people will pay more for an Accord, because they think it's a better built car. I agree with this perception, but I know some people don't. They only way I will really be convinced the Malibu is much improved, is if I bought one myself. I'm not willing to take that chance right now.
    After seeing the blast from many mags and rags and now Consumers Reports on the Insight Hybrid on what a piece of junk it is and CHEAP besides I sure have lost a lot of respect of Honda. As I'm old enough to remember the cheap junk they brought to America many years ago and how long it took them to even make something buyable they sure have taken 2 steps back in my humble opinion.
    I have driven the new GM 4cyl engine. However, I was still less than satisfied. It was not inspiring. Even, the Manual shifting option did not add any more excitement. It was like pulling teeth to give me any excitement. I was taken off guard too, as I thought that at the least it would do something for me. The drive line is still a bit rough, and a bit unpredictable. Where is the torque? The 4cyl doesn't feel like it wants to wind up at all. Perhaps this is why so many opt for the V6?

I do agree that I am not willing to give GM another chance after my lease is up. Why take that kind of risk? I have already driven the new engine, that is the best they could come up with? I know some people love their GM cars, or a big fan of them, but you can't honestly tell me you would pick the 4cyl GM engine over say an Accord engine or VW 5cyl, or the 2.0T engine. Which would both would blow the doors off the 4cyl GM engine. I know it would. Both getting similar or better mileage.

Verdict-the GM 4cyl engine=BORING and moody
    Yes I would, why because I'm American and am willing to back GM, an american company that has done more for me than Toyota or Honda. What have they done for you besides Pearl Harbor.
  • wayne52wayne52 Member Posts: 26
    What have Toyota or Honda done for ME besides Pearl Harbor? Like most Japanese companies, they brought me high quality, low cost, reliable products. I owned 4 UAW built cars in ten years and had NOTHING but trouble. I've owned my honda for the past ten years and have pretty much been trouble free. It is the longest I've ever owned a car! I'm not sure why you mention Pearl Harbor. Mitsubishi built the Japanese Zero, not Toyota or Honda, and the war has been over for quite some time. What have american auto manufacturers done for ME? To lightly touch the subject, they have built crap and overpaid their employees (management and line workers) to the extent that they broke the companies and now require MY money to bail them out of the mess. Toyota and Honda build cars in the US (non-UAW plants) that have a reputation of being high quality, low cost, and reliable. Hyundai and Mercedes and probably a few other companies do the same thing in the USA. And I don't hold the [non-permissible content removed] responsible for mercedes, either (same war as Pearl Harbor, just a different location).
    Well lets see, I had a 240Z that caused me nothing but trouble from the radiator rubbing on theframe and needed replaced, Rabbit that was a piece of crap, wife had a 04 Honda Van that needed a new tranny, and she has a STS built in America that the only problem was the Navigation unit which is built by a German company 1/2 owned by Toyota so does that mean the STS being American built is a piece of junk. I have had maybe 30 american cars and yes they have had problems all little nothing like a new tranny or radiator. The american cars are just as good as anybody elses and it helps our country. But I'm sure the people of Japan with there good schools, roads, etc are happy that your money is keeping them well equiped why our country goes down the tubes. There still must be a lot of Americans that think our cars are better than the [non-permissible content removed] since we still out sell them all.
    Pearl Harbor has nothing to do with this forum, which is about the Camry, Malibu, and Accord, their pros, cons, and attributes.
  • wayne52wayne52 Member Posts: 26
    Couldn't agree more. The "underlying tone" of this thread could probably best be described as follows:
    For many years, GM has had a reputation for building "subpar vehicles". Can the newly designed malibu compete on a level with japanese auto manufactures known for quality and reliability?
    Can they / do they now produce a vehicle that can compete with the best the japanese have to offer in this class? I drove one malibu. It has a fine interior. In no way up to accord standards, but nothing like the typical cheap hard plastics that characterized GM for many years. I drove the 4 cylinder and found it to be disappointing, but have not driven the 6 cylinder. I believe the japanese have left a door open for GM. Camry has some fit and finish problems and issues with their transmissions. Honda has (6 cylinder) issues with their Variable Cylinder Management and back brakes. The long term reliability and resale of the japanese make their offerings quite appealing. I think GM has a very hard job ahead of them in convincing the public that they are beyond the "crap" they've produced for years and can now produce a vehicle in this class that will be reliable over the long run and hold its value when it comes time to sell or trade it. I've driven all three and as an accord owner I would rank them in the following order: camry, accord, malibu. I would strongly consider the two japanese vehicles, but it is my belief the malibu is not quite up to the level of the camry and accord at this time.
    To sum up your post (I think), GM = making great strides, Honyota = marking time at best. I agree completely. I don't personally feel that the Accord got any better with the current generation over the previous one. The problem for GM there is/was that the Malibu was easily a couple of generations behind quality-wise, so even though it improved drastically from 2007 to 2008 and Honda did not, Honda still holds the edge simply because of how far ahead they had stayed over the years, and really didn't trail-off (each gen had a couple of issues, but never had that "falling apart" feeling that the last G6 I drove had). Now, Chevy's overcoming that, and I'm glad. Competition is great for customers. I drive a 2006 Accord, but feel confident if my car was totaled tomorrow, it wouldn't be replaced with a 2009 Accord.

There's a blue-oval and a slanted H making some big strides too that I'm not sure Honda or Toyota see coming as well...
    Nice post. Other company's are catching up.

I see myself getting an EX-L V6 Accord, or a VW product.
  • anon3anon3 Member Posts: 147
    Here's a perspective from a long-time BMW driver (I'm now driving my 14th BMW and have owned every model that they've produced since the early 1990s.)

I purchased a 2009 Malibu LT2 V-6 in May as a commuter car. I am extremely impressed with the vehicle and I genuinely enjoy driving it. After incentives, the Malibu sold for just over $21k plus tax and tags. I comparison shopped the Accord and Passat. For the price of a base model, stripped down 176 hp 4-cyl accord, this Malibu has:
    - Very smooth and quick V-6 and 6-spd automatic
    - 18" wheels
    - 2 yrs free Satellite radio
    - 2 yrs free OnStar
    - Bluetooth connection and an outstanding stereo
    - 100,000 mile power train warranty
    - 2 years free maintenance along with a list of other features and benefits.

The Malibu is very quiet, comfortable, has optimal suspension tuning, and handles very well. It's also built on the European Opel designed Epsilon platform designed to appeal to drivers in europe and be competitive in North America.

The Accord is NOT competitive in this price range (ignoring the fact that the accord is a full-size vehicle and the Malibu is mid-size.) The 4 cylinder's passing power is laughable. The engine is noisy. Honda's brakes vibrate during hard stopping as a rule. I would have to pay 8 grand more to get satellite, V-6, sport wheels, and 6 speed transmission in an Accord. The Passat also is much more expensive and doesn't come close to being as quick, smooth, quiet, or feature packed as the Malibu.

Too many people are willing to let marketing tell them what to think because they're too lazy to do their homework. The perception is that Honda and Toyota can't make a dud and GM can't make a winner. So no one believes it when Honda and Toyota produce an over-priced, mediocre vehicle. And people who don't do their homework don't believe GM can produce a reliable, competitive, feature packed vehicle.

The other thing that most people ignore is the fact that GM has a legitimate halo brand in Cadillac (BMW's M division has the same "halo" effect for the BMW brand.) GM invested heavily in technology and engineering that allows the CTS to outperform a BMW M5 and Jaguar XFR for $30,000 less. Cadillac technology, suspension performance tuning, engine designs, and vehicle engineering are trickling down into its other brands. (That's how OnStar ended up in a Chevy, for example.)

Since I stroked a check and paid cash for that Malibu, I'm glad I did my homework instead of letting market perception do my thinking for me. Otherwise, I would have paid several thousand dollars too much for an Accord that just is not a better vehicle.

An endorsement like this from hard-core BMW enthusiast (extensive track time, road rallies, visits to factories on 2 continents, etc) should count for something.
    I've driven he Accord 4 cyl and found it "boring" as well, let's face it a 4 banger w/auto is not gonna generate "excitement" no matter who makes it. that's why they offer a V6 as well, get it?. And I doubt the honda 4 will "blow the doors" off a GM 4, they are within 5 HP of one another and the Malibu is a lighter car. Lemme guess, Honda HP is less "moody" and more "exciting" than GM HP??.
    Tell me you are still satisfied with your Malibu after 5 years and 65k miles, then maybe I'll believe the Malibu is really different from it's ancestors. When a Malibu hits the 5 year mark, it will feel, sound, and act older than a 10 year old Accord, from my experience, and the resale value will be so low you may as well just give it away. That's the short quality life-span of a GM car.
    I never said the 4cyl in the Accord was completely exciting, but it certainly has more power or it seems like it does more so than the 4cyl found in the Malibu, G6, Aura.

I came from an 06 Accord, it seemed like it had more power than the car I have now!. Differences in horsepower are minimal. So, it might be the better transmission, more torque.. I am not sure. But, I know my Accord didn't sound rough or questionable either when passing. Or have a horrible transmission. I had to watch my speed more in the Accord. Oops! I am doing 80! I haven't had that issue in my car now.

I would still rather have an Accord or Passat way before a Malibu, but that is just me though. I am not taking that kind of risk, and I wouldn't even be driving a GM.. long story. Not something I would pick.

That doesn't make it wrong for anyone else though. So drive what you like and want. Why is it when I tell people my GM car has already had problems, such as a new catylic converter...etc. they are not surprised. They tell me, Get out! Now!
    Resale value after five years? It's funny how the picture changes if you actually check your facts, do a little math, and apply some financial analysis. You are the perfect example of my previous statement about how too many car buyers let market perception do their thinking for them instead of doing their homework to make an informed decision.

For example, I checked the values on 5 year old Malibu, Passat, and Accord models with 60,000 miles that would have sold for the same prices new. The Passat and Accord trade in values are about $2,000 higher than the Malibu (the old crappy Malibu model).

If your criterion for selecting a car is future value, then you'd better get a new calculator and take Accounting 101. It is NOT a good investment to pay several thousand dollars more today for a comparably equipped vehicle in order to gain $2k additional value five years in the future. That $2k future value is worth about $1,600 today when discounted at the rate of inflation. So if the Malibu is priced at least $1,601 less than the Accord, it's the better value (under equal assumptions.)

The single most significant variable in how a vehicle will "feel, sound, act" in 5 years is maintenance, driving style, and care of the vehicle. Those depend entirely on the owner. It's more likely that a vehicle will be well maintained in the long term when repairs are free under the Malibu's 100,000 mile warranty compared to the 36,000 mile warranty on the Accord.

So financial analysis tips further away from the Accord when the vehicle costs thousands less at purchase and you factor in the reduced costs associated with the Malibu's free maintenance for two years, 100k warranty, trade-in value guarantees, and an entire package of extended services. This is called Total Cost of Ownership (TCO), which ultimately measures the cost of one vehicle against another.

Also, Elroy5, you don't have a the slightest clue how the current Malibu will "feel, sound, act" in five or ten years. No one does. It's a completely new vehicle. The belief that GM's investments in vehicle engineering can't produce improvements and that only Japanese companies can follow quality engineering practices is just stupid. You're basically saying that American companies are inherently inferior and can only decline. I challenge you to support that claim.

Directly to the right of this posting are owner surveys that rate the 2009 Malibu higher than the Accord. So, apparently, the Malibu is less expensive and better rated according to people who own them.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    > Elroy5, you don't have a the slightest clue how the current Malibu will "feel, sound, act"

Exactly right. Nice post. And right on about real cost of ownership. Why do so many Honda owners end up with an extended warranty if the cars don't need it?

I won't even talk about the attitude of the nearest Toyota dealership and their salesmen. I recall years ago stopping at the Acura dealership in scuff clothes and being treated like I was a car buyer (I did mention that my neighbor owned three), a total contrast to the Toyota Attitude.

The fantasy evaluations of futures on cars are a result of people's past biases. That's understandable. But to imply that the Malibu won't be as good as a this or a that auto in 5 years is impossible to determine. With all the troubles with VCM and Honda's transmissions of the past and current, making that kind of prediction is clearly a personal opinion.

In the previous Malibu line, the cars were not directly competing against most Accords for buyers. I felt that Chev had done, with the cost problems of UAW and legacy cots, was to build a car in between the Civic and Accord--same for Corolla/Camry. The comparisons can go on and on, but they are meaningless.

I possibly will buy another car in a few months and will drive used versions of the previous Malibu and the current new Malibu, along with other cars. I could follow the lead of others and base my opinion of Accords on the last ones I test drove in 2003, brutal suspension and noisy ride that would please only a high school/college student, road wander, popping when twisted in driveway to dealer, and other negatives, but I'll be open minded and drive an Accord. I'll also look at the LaCrosse, a midsizer.

One thing that has to change is judging cars based on the past a whole decade or two ago. GM is a new company, although not rid of high cost UAW labor due to political powers in DC, maybe they'll be able to use part time labor as do other companies..

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I am sure the H & P costs the people at least $2K more to start too plus I also bet if there is problems out of warranty it will be a whole lot cheaper to fix the Malibu than the others.
    Every time a new Malibu model comes out, GM claims "this one is truely competitive with the Accord/Camry". That has not been the case. So we are supposed to believe them this time? If we can't use past quality, to determine future quality, what are we left with? A test drive? My father's Malibu was great for a couple of years, but aged quickly. My 10 year old Accord with 3 times the mileage, had less moans, groans, and squeaks than my father's 5 year old Malibu, with no more maintenance required, and much less repairs needed. I just don't buy into the idea that GM has suddenly found the fountain of youth for their cars.
    "One thing that has to change is judging cars based on the past a whole decade or two ago."

Good post. I totally agree with everything that you wrote.

If you talk to GMC and Chevy dealers, they will tell you that one of the most frustrating problems that they face is legacy market perception about GM cars being inherently less reliable and a poor value. Like you said, too many people cling to market perceptions from the 80s and 90's, even when Consumer Reports, J.D. Powers, and a host of rating services give many GM vehicles very high marks and recommendations. It's tragic how people fixate on a GM mechanical problem and punish GM, but ignore numerous problems in Hondas... like the transmission problems that you mentioned. It isn't rational.

What does it say about the quality and intelligence of a person who goes through life relying on decades old information and not learning anything new? Intelligent people grow and improve. So do companies.

The engineering science of building cars has become so automated, repeatable, and studied that the quality difference between a top rated car and an average rated car is measured by .8 defects per vehicle vs 1.4 defects per vehicle. Either way, you're likely to have 1 problem. The difference is not significant.

I completely understand why someone would buy an Accord, especially given that the Accord is roomier and has excellent ride quality, comfort etc. I like the Accord also and could easily drive it.

But I decided to research vehicles and buy the one that was the best value. It was an easy decision when the Malibu cost thousands less, is faster, has better braking, is quieter, has a better warranty, and has more luxury options (like satellite radio, bluetooth, OnStar navigation) for the price.

Even if the Malibu's Total Cost of Ownership ends up being higher over five years, I will have five years of driving pleasure from a car that is quieter, smoother, faster, and has lots of luxury features that make endless Washington DC traffic jams (second worst in the entire nation) more bearable.

I've been generally dismissive of American cars for a long time. But, if GM makes a quality vehicle, I will reward them by buying their vehicles and I won't make my decision based on something that happened in 1994.
    >most frustrating problems that they face is legacy market perception about GM cars

It's always odd that Toyota's sludge and engine/transmission hesitations along with Honda's VCM and transmission failures along with road noise don't get played up like the past GM's problems that some found.

Cars need to be judged on what they offer in the current and forth-coming models.

I wonder what all the Honda people think of the media lambasting the new Insight. I sounds like it was made by Yugo. Makes me wonder what the rest of the HOndas are made of. :lemon:
    >most frustrating problems that they face is legacy market perception about GM cars

I feel sorry for the Chevy salesman, but who created this "perception"? The "perception" I think is based on facts (cars that simply didn't measure up to the competition). Market perception has nothing to do with my opinion. The reality of owning and driving Accords and Malibus myself, has created my "perception" of them. As far as Consumer Reports and JD Powers in concerned, they had the 2001 Malibu as a "Recommended" car. I would not recommend that car to anyone. It seems "average" reliability, poor quality, and cheap materials, is good enough for CR. Not good enough for me.
    Nice thing about honda now, is that I can still lease a loaded Accord. A good clean lease deal can be had. Lease turn in is so simple too. I have traded my Accord with minimal negative equity. Which cannot be had on a GM car now. Even in the most perfect condition. I cannot go lease a new Malibu for that cheap or at all. GM didn't just all of a sudden become pretty, you cannot always judge a book by its cover either. The only reason they are creating this new look or perception is because they are bankrupt and don't have a choice. Bankruptcy alone for me is reason enough to stay away at this point. GM has only recently improved in quality, it will take time to prove they have what it takes to be on par with the others. I would say they are getting there now.

So, considering the new Malibu is night and day different in terms of build and quality compared to the previous model would be too quick to say. It could go both ways. I am not sure. Time will only tell. It is a very sharp looking car with a great offering for the money. I can see why people like them.

I am certainly not going to bash anyone for driving one either. I will most definitely be impressed by the car if you drive by. I like a lot of cars, but which ones I would drive is my opinion. Heck, I think this Saturn Aura that drives locally here is one sharp looking car. Would I ever get one? No. That is just me. :shades:

So, I guess at this point it could go both ways. Perhaps GM will prove to do some great things! But, ask yourself this.....would GM be trying to change or doing the improvements now if they weren't forced to do so? Will they uphold these goals when no one is looking?
    How does a cat. converter go bad at 15K?, if it clogged up then there is an engine management issue that caused way to much unburned fuel into the exhaust system. Don't know how you got stuck with rentals to replace a window switch, those can be replaced in about 5 min. My Malibu is now 4.5 yrs. old and it's soul is just fine!, no major repairs and I'm still running on the original brake pads. Now I'll admit it's value is less than a 4.5 year old Accord, but that is irrelevant to me as I have no plans to trade it until 10 yrs. old and I paid 21K for a car with V6, leather, sunroof, XM, ABS, alloys, P. seats, homelink, remote start w/auto digital climate control, ect. Try getting an Accord loaded like that and your closer to 30K.
    Well, it did, I am truly believe the converter was bad to begin with. It ran weird, I took it in, they called me up and stated that the converter was bad. They replaced it. Its on my invoice too. I didn't have rentals for the windows, but the other times when trying to diagnose the performance issues.

The engine is still not running right. The transmission is a bit off. The gas mileage has improved since the new converter. Perhaps a bit more power, but still acts weird. Its intermittently happening. GM stated they'll back their warranty, well, I will use it. I think I have ran up about $1,500 or so in warranty bills. Over silly stuff. Never had that with my Accord or my other 2 VW leases. I do not have time to play games. I work to hard and pay too much to be messed around with.
    But, no car is perfect. But, this is my first GM car too.

With great deals out, you really don't have to pay $30k for a Honda. I lease, so soon I will have a new car. I will look closely at the new Accord, Acura TSX, VW, or even a new camry.
    I'm betting too that you paid at least 2K more for the Accord than you would have the Malibu.
    Sure, but I think the Accord is worth more. When you sell one, you find out most people looking for a used car agree. Just pointing out that you can recoup some (not all) of the higher purchase price, when you sell it. People think a 10 year old car is not worth much, but I got $5,000 for my 12 year old Accord, with 140k miles on it. It would be difficult to get $3000 for a Malibu that old with that many miles on it. Check the prices of 10 year old used Accords and Malibus, and you will still see a substantial difference in the average asking price.
    Just checking the Kelly Blue Book value on 10 year old cars (99 models), on MSN Autos. The price range for a 99 Malibu was between $3000 and $3800, and the price range for a 99 Accord was from $5700 to $7500. It's actually more than I thought it would be.
    You know, its all good. I see many homes in our town that have just GM cars. Some are brand new. Right now actually, if you want a GM car, you should be able to get a great deal. While making that a great choice. However, if you are like me and change cars often. Then, getting a GM car would not be the best idea. You will lose more money on a GM trade than some of the others. Even Honda probably isn't trading as high now. You cannot lease a GM car, so that for me would keep me from getting one. I lease a GM car now(before they stopped leasing), probably most cheap lease out on this company. So I have thought about transferring the lease to someone else. Swapalease?

Now, if you are going to keep it for many years, than its a decent move. But, GM still needs to convince us that is will hold up to time. You certainly don't see many GM cars around that are year 91 or so that start up each and everyday in the winter like our honda.

Just because I won't drive another GM car and desperately want out, doesn't make it a bad choice for someone else. I am very much pampered with my car now, its just the engine that leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth. :cry: Never again, Sorry GM!
    >You certainly don't see many GM cars around that are year 91 or so that start up each and everyday in the winter like our honda.

There is a plethora of GM cars from the 80s that are driven daily around here. In fact more and more are showing up all the time.

>the winter like our honda.

I can't agree with the honda comment. Our friend's 95 Civic often wouldn't start. I'd go over and mess around and finally get it started for her. It wasn't even winter!!! in Ohio. She finally got rid of it and it was rusting out in front of the rear wheels already. At least she didn't have to put one of those tin can mufflers on it like Hondas seem to have around here.

I believe this thread should stick to comparing the current cars rather than trying to continue to put down GM from the past. I could list off many warts on certain foreign car's image from the past and the present... do we want to go there? I don't think so.

Here in Mich. with the snow and salt you don't see many Honda's or Toyota of those years though you still see many American cars plugging around without much rust.
    I see PLENTY of 10 year GM's that run fine EVERYDAY! and run just ad well as any honda, please, stop posting until your [non-permissible content removed]-buzz wears off, your starting to sound lke a moron at this point..
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Here in Mich. with the snow and salt you don't see many Honda's or Toyota of those years though you still see many American cars plugging around without much rust.

You mean like all those Mopar minivans rusting fenders and wheel wells or GM cars with blotched paint running around? I'm amazed how well most cars look these days after 5 or 6 years, but I think all brands have their good and bad models and model years. Can't say that one brand really rusts more than another. For example, I've seen a lot of old Corolla's running around up north with good bodies on them.
    I never made any of my posts personal. If you read the above posts, it is a nice debate. That's all. I'm not sure where that came from.

Yes, we should get back on track.. Lol.

Can you get a gm car in a manual anymore? Such as the malibu, don't Camry and accord have a option. Wasn't there a new engine soon to be used?
    "......Can you get a gm car in a manual anymore? Such as the malibu, don't Camry and accord have a option. Wasn't there a new engine soon to be used?"

Yes you can. I believe the Aveo, Cobalt, CTS and obviously the sports cars.

Question is, how many Malibu buyers would want it, and is it worth it for them to make it available.
    Wouldn't it make it more cost effective to produce a few manual optioned cars?
    Not by much, but could help. But, yes, how many would opt for it. It beginning to be more rare to have a manual.

I know my mother had an 04 Jetta (manual) and now she has an 08 Jetta(auto)
    Should would have wanted the manual, but its more hard to come by.

The auto's are getting more advanced, such as paddleshifters, DSG, but its really not a true manual. But, very close in some cars.

However I used the manual shift mode on the GM rental I had, and it was not exciting at all. 6spd shifting. I was surprisingly disappointed that it didn't work as well as I thought. So, probably in that case it would not compare to a true manual. Or maybe I wasn't using it right.

The camry perhaps may have more of a chance of getting a manual out of the 3 cars.
This discussion has been closed.