Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Electrical and Computer Questions

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Sounds like a bad switch and not a bad motor. A bad motor would cause the wipers to stop functioning. You can locate the part number for the switch at gmpartsdirect.com via their catalog and get an idea of how much it will cost + shipping.
  • ranvonsranvons Member Posts: 4
    THANKS! But I do not find any such part on gmpartsdirect.com, although i can find the switch arm that has the cruise contol etc. that attaches to the steering column on many sites...
    That's the one. It requires replacing the whole arm.
  • robskotrobskot Member Posts: 6
    HI...just wondering if you did install this into your truck? Did it work? If so, do you have any instructions on how it's done?

I am the same..07 Sierra Crew Cab, but didn't come with the full DIC system...

Thanks...
    All the sensors are preinstalled on your truck. To access all the info install the DIC and you will be able to use all the features listed.
  • willie12956willie12956 Member Posts: 1
    had trouble with truck stalling out while driving had to get boost got home now the 4 way flashers will not stop flashing unless you take battery calble off tested battery it has 12.56 vlots truck will not start now with boost and 4 ways will not shut off any ideas thanks
    So, is there some sort of plug already in my truck, that I just plug into the back of the switch? Or is there a plug that comes with the switch that I just have to run to somewhere and if so, where?

Thanks for your help...this is really of great interest to me!
    There is a plug behind the switch. Follow the link for install info, part no., and pics.

DIC upgrade
  • jkhmjkhm Member Posts: 3
    I have a silverado and I started it up the other day to drive a couple of miles. When I started it, I noticed the dash lights were very dim and kept getting dimmer. I turned off the ignition and turned it on a few minutes later and at that time all the lights were off and nothing will turn on now. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?
    That's awesome!!! Thank you!!!!
    My only question, is why the heck don't they just install it in all trucks if that's all it is??????
    It's them bean counters at work. They want you to buy the top of the line model to get all the bells and whistles. You can imagine a $100 part times 600,000 trucks.
    Also, do you know of...or does anyone on here know of anybody that has done this successfully on a Canadian Sierra? I am guessing it's the same, but would really like to know for sure before ordering the part.

I pulled open my dash today, and sure enough, the harness is there, so I am guessing I would be good to go...

What a great forum!
  • sdlernersdlerner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 2500 Sierra with a factory alarm. I live in the San DIego Area. The alarm has been going off about every other night between 12:30am and 2:30 am. I watched several nights just to see if someone was tampering with the truck but nothing like that. It's parked in the driveway and just goes off.
    Anyone have any similar experiences with alarms going off for no apparant reason? It's not too cold out, the batteries are fully charged, and there's no unusual weather or earthquakes going on? Driving me crazy. Don't want to disable the alarm and be vulnerable to fuel thieves! Anyone got any ideas?
  • rattaway11rattaway11 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 seirra 4wd and the problem i have is the 4wd hi and lo will not engage, i have the push button 4wd and the lights come on and go off and the service 4wd message comes on.this morning i pushed the auto 4wd and it engaed and push 2wd and it went back to 2wd but when i tried to go into 4wd hi and low it would not engage. any ideas on how to fix the problem?
  • solocamsolocam Member Posts: 3
    Does anybody have any ideas why the 20amp ECM fuses keeps blowing? I put a 25 amp fuse in to get home, it did not blow but driving along it would fall on its face as I push on gas then buck and take off. Any advice would be helpful.
  • mgandrewmgandrew Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 1500 Sierra lost it's right side window and electric seat the same day last week. The manual indicates that it is a "circuit breaker" located "under the dash to the left of the steering column". I can not find it. I do not know if the circuit breaker is resetable, one would think it is. There is a box under there but because the seat won't move back it is difficult to see what is there. It is certainly not readily accessible.

Also the 15 amp fuse on the airbag circuit blows. This circuit has the following list of controlled functions. I used to be able to replace it and the circuit would work for several weeks or even longer. Now it lasts several minutes and does not seem to blow for any reason.

1. the compass and thermometer in the rear view mirror.
    2. the auto dimming function.
    3. All chimes.
    4. Airbags.
  • mgandrewmgandrew Member Posts: 2
    You Need an Exorcist.
  • hauler007hauler007 Member Posts: 1
    HI I have an 06 GMC Sierra1500 5.3 and am having problems with it overcharging i replaced the altenator and it still does it also the message appears in the info center to check oil level and now it is also starting to say check windshield washer level have talked to dealer about this but still waiting for reply any help would be very welcome
    thanks
  • barnowl3barnowl3 Member Posts: 70
    I have an 03 Sierra, 2500 HD, 6.0 l and had a similar problem. All of a sudden one day, it would go from an erratic overcharge to undercharge. I went straight to the dealer due to the high voltage spikes. They replaced the wiring harness to the alternator under warranty. Bulletin # /PI. 73170D. 2 months later it started undercharging and they then replaced the alternator. I assume the faulty harness caused the alternator failure. The voltage swings were wild. so I was surprised it didn't do more damage.
  • stretch87stretch87 Member Posts: 2
    Have not seen any responses to your ques. did you receive any??
  • snowgoddsnowgodd Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of a way to upgrade or convert the computer in a 01 Silverado so that half of the injectors are not used while on the highway.
  • jfred09jfred09 Member Posts: 1
    ok...just got this truck the other day....its a 2 owner truck and the first guy put a system in it and i think he screwed it up big time....symptoms....1. with my lights off my left turn signal works but when i turn the lights on at nite..it doesnt work at all..2.sometimes...when i turn the left signal on it makes both of the turn signal lights go off...3..also sometimes when i hit the breaks...my turn signal lights in the front blink...(thought that was the strangest)..4..it has a coverette style rollpan on it and only 2 outta 4 lights work...my friends noticed the other day that when i turn the left signal on..the cd player(aftermarket) blinks with it....any ideas...im know a lil bit about vehicles but idk where to even start on this one!!!
    That is a nightmare. Reminds me of a friend who rewired the factory harness when installing an aftermarket stereo rather than buy a $10 adapter at Best Buy. Blew a few fuses then the headunit itself.

Personally, I'd check the power connections first. That is where the guy is getting the power for the lights, etc and go from there. Could be he has a few of them crossed or all connected to the same place. Watch for splices as the factory doesn't do that only diy installers.
  • ripthelipripthelip Member Posts: 3
    Hi-

Did you get any aftermarket add-ons or did you get another alarm to supplement the factory? If you did, most of them don't work well with GM vehicles. I went and had a Viper put in instead of the Factory. Much better protection.
  • robert69zrobert69z Member Posts: 1
    i need help :driving home from work ac, power windows, 4wheel drive, door locks, radio ,and head lights went out . 2 hours later everything was working again i am at a loss checked all grounds and everything i can think of . drove to work next day was fine till i was coming home same thing again . today no trouble . anyone have any ideas where to look on here i have a 2004 silverado 4x4 ext cab 5.3 l engine .
  • rdudley19rdudley19 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 1500 HD. the running light on the left side is out. I can replace one for $27 with the amber turn signal lens or the pair with clear turn signal lens cover for $67. Any opinions on this?
    You're talking about replacing the lens? or lens and bulb?
  • rontheiirontheii Member Posts: 1
    Just a simple thought, ... check the ground connections on the back end of the truck. I noticed that the bumper had been replaced. Quick and easy, and it could explain the ramdom lights.
  • kazontitekazontite Member Posts: 1
    Whenever I turn my 2002 Chevy Silverado Z71 truck on, the 'Low Washer Fluid' light turns on. After it's on for awhile it then shuts off. How would I go about in fixing this problem?
  • jewaldenjewalden Member Posts: 1
    Is replacing a turn signal switch on a '96 sierra difficult? The car manual says nothing about it (and not the glovebox manual)...

Replaced the fuse and the bulbs and rt signal still won't flash (and markers lights are dead), so I'm assuming that's the problem!

Thanks!
  • snowplowgalsnowplowgal Member Posts: 2
  • snowplowgalsnowplowgal Member Posts: 2
    I just got my truck last November and was having no problems. This is my new Baby! I put a snow plow on it in January and a new battery in it in Feb. Not long after I put the new battery in my interior light would randomly not work. When ever I would try to use an interior either with the door opening or turning on an overhead light I would get the dash warning "Cargo Lamp ON" but the cargo lamp wont work either. All fuses are fine and now I have no interior lights at all. What could cause this?

Thanks ahead of time!
  • rickc4rickc4 Member Posts: 1
    2005 chevy wrecked airbag went off messed up ignition switch it will start run 2 seconds and die have already tried 10 min thing for passcode but no go on the dash has a symbol car with lock on it whats going on ?
  • sam110sam110 Member Posts: 3
    have a 01 2500HD 6.0 engine. the engine misses and goes dead and is hard to restart. WHen this happens the temp guage goes crazy from 0 to 260 . the engine has never overheated. have changed the crank and cam sensors it still misses and bucks and goes dead the only way to keep it going is power braking it. Help someone please thanks Sandy ps have also changed the the switch that didn't help either
  • sam110sam110 Member Posts: 3
    that was the first thing i replaced in my 01 the ignition switch and it did not solve my problems the darn thing is still missing and bucking and going dead have also replaced the crank and cam sensors still not fixed don't know what else to do can anyone give me a sugguestion. can't afford the dealer to hunt and peck for the thing would run into the thousands. lol HELP please
  • falcon72falcon72 Member Posts: 1
    I know this post is old but just in case... I have three bulbs burnt out on my A/C, fresh air, and re-circ. air buttons on my 2000 GMC Sierra. I measured the voltage on the board at 9.93V and found these bulbs online.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/LP-7218/10V-50MA-T-1-3MM-LAMP/-/- 1.html

I have not ordered them or tried them yet but I may... I certainly do not want to buy the entire air control module just for the bulbs.
  • 98redrider98redrider Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem for years and recently it is much worse. Did you ever get any help on this subject?
    I tried a bypass module, but when I called the manufacture for DIY help they told me their product is not a solution to get around the engine immobilization, i.e. fuel pump shuts down. They said mom & pop alarm shops usualy have a "creative" way around this problem, but I can't find anyone locally that knows how to jump around the system to this problem so it goes away for good.

Thanks!
    Help from anyone else would be greatly appreciated too.
  • rippsteinrippstein Member Posts: 3
    When shopping for my new truck a few weeks back, I asked about the "remote starter prep package" that came on the truck because I'm interested in using remote start middle summer and winter. The salesman said, with that option, the truck is ready for remote start, and I simply needed to separately purchase a $100 remote-start "clicker" to replace my plain remote-lock "clicker." Didn't get that in writing, just conversation.

Bought that 2008 GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab Z71 4x4 and really like it. Now had an extra hundred avaiable to spend, so I contacted dealer parts yesterday, and they said the remote start "clicker" is a whopping $195, plus there is a $133 labor charge to install it on my enabled truck.

Is anyone familiar with someone who added the clicker to a remote start enabled truck? I think I may have been misled or perhaps asked a wrong question. Want to talk (better educated) with salesman when he returns about our original sales conversaion. Thanks. -ray
  • jamnayjamnay Member Posts: 3
    truck starts sometimes cant figure out whats wrong ihave changed plugs wires module . autozone said maybe icm .any help would be appreciated
  • rippsteinrippstein Member Posts: 3
    About "I think I may have been misled or perhaps asked a wrong question. Want to talk (better educated) with salesman when he returns about our original sales conversaion. Thanks."

Now better educated, I learned that GM part 17801236 at $195 comes with two remote-start clickers (technically about $100 each) and like spare keys must be specially coded to the truck by a technician using special tools, something an owner can't do, thus a labor charge for several hours work.

So, I wasn't misled, just asked wrong questions before I bought a truck model without the "complete" remote start option. Live and learn. My salesman was correct.
  • twoskinnytwoskinny Member Posts: 2
    don't know if it will help or not, I had a problem somewhat like yours. truck lights work fine, but no running lights on my horse trailer. funny thing was my turn and stop lights on the trailer work fine. come to find out i blew the fuse in the truck for the trailer running lights. replace fuse and all works fine
  • jason2500jason2500 Member Posts: 3
    He guys I have a 03 gmc serria 2500 hd 4x4 and wanting to install that second batery, My brother was looking and buy the exact same truck except a 2000 and i noticed it had the second battery. Any information of how to go about the wiring would be great. Im sure if I took the time id figure it out but me and wiring dont go together to good unless i have a box of fuses. thanks
  • hashilhashil Member Posts: 3
    hi
    i have silverado 99 extended cabien. there is a message in message center "cargo lamp on" but it is not working. also, interior lights not working also. please help me to get solution. fuses are ok.
    did you check the bulbs?
    No, but all the lightes stop working at one time and the indication on the message center appear.
    On the inside of the truck there is a relay center.The relay is marked(on the relay cover)as the inadvertent power.That is the relay in the courtesy light circuit.You can swap it with the one out of the Tahoe.The relay center is on the firewall above where yout left foot would be.Make sure you swap the bcm's back to the proper vehicle the vin is stored in there and will cause problems.That's if it didn't already.
  • cajun1977cajun1977 Member Posts: 2
    hey guys i just bought an 06 sierra 1500 and so far im loving the truck 5.3 4x4, but i noticed when im raising a window with the power switch all the instrument lights get real dim and i can see the headlights seem to dim somewhat also, is this normal from power windows or is this an electrical issue?
  • marcb2marcb2 Member Posts: 9
    To give everyone an update on this ( sorry for the long delay on this)......... As it turned out, there was a light in the "cluster" above the bed that had burned out. I replaced every bulb on the exterior of the truck, with this set being the last set. Once that set was replaced, I had no more issues with this.
  • barnowl3barnowl3 Member Posts: 70
    That does not sound right. You may have a bad motor or some type of problem from the factory with the wiring.Is the window straining on the way up? I have had several power windows fail in my 2000 and 2003, the problem is usually a broken transmission mechanism ( cables, etc.). Our winters likely don't help as it is normal for the window to freeze. The problem has not been the motor, nor do I recall the lights getting dim. If it's still under warranty, take it in and I am sure they will replace the mechanism and possibly the motor, it is common warranty failure.
  • cajun1977cajun1977 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for replying, no the windows do not strain going up, do you think this is a major issue something that could possibly be a huge problem till i get it in, or is it just something minor?