Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Fuel and Fuel System Questions

brownrtbrownrt Member Posts: 3
I have a 2002, 6 cylinder Santa Fe with 120,000 miles. It generally runs great. Thee only problem I have is after I fill the car with gas, it is difficult to get the car started, and it runs rough for the next minute or so. Has anyone heard of or had this problem? What is the fix?

Comments

• olsonm1210olsonm1210 Member Posts: 1
    We experienced the same problem with our 2003 Santa Fe this morning. Until now we have not had any problems. When we gassed up the car it would not start and even after it did the transmission would not shift out of park for a few minutes. This happened to us twice today. Our car has 112,000 miles. Sounds like a very similar problem. What did you find out and has it been fixed? If you have and don't mind what did the dealer charge if you took it back to him?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    This happened to us twice today.

I am assuming you didn't fill up twice today. If that is the case, on the second try (without the fillup) were you restarting after recently having turned the engine off? I'm wondering if it could be a problem with your injectors.

tidester, host
  • brownrtbrownrt Member Posts: 3
    I have not had the problem fixed yet. A mechanic suspects a clogged gas tank filter. Problem is, it looks like the entire gas tank has to be removed to get to it, and it is not a sure bet that that fixes it.
  • steve112steve112 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2002 Santa Fe (6 cyl) with only about 35,000 miles on it and this identical problem just started for me about six months ago. Maybe it is a fuel filter. I have to admit I do run the fuel level down too far (same money used to keep it a lot fuller!) Anyway, does anybody else notice a correlation between the problem and letting the tank get low? I'm not sure if the two are connected, and I'm still not sure why if it is the fuel filter, why does it clear up? I know that many cars these days have pressurized fuel tanks. I wonder if the problem may have something to do with taking the cap off and depressurizing the tank... I say this because I can shut the car off a few miles later, wait a few minutes and it starts right back up. The only difference I can see is that I didn't remove the fuel cap. Any ideas on this?
  • brownrtbrownrt Member Posts: 3
    I do not think it is a pressure problem. If I only put $5 of gas in to a fairly empty tank, the car starts as normal. If I fill up past 1/2 tank, the problem happens. It seems like air or vapor must somehow be trapped in to the fuel line.
  • axis_rollaxis_roll Member Posts: 11
    Sounds like the emissions evaporation system could be clogged? Charchol cannister might be soaked or otherwise bad? I am reaching here, but it might be worth a shot.

Also it's possible you have a bad gas cap that is not properly venting. Are you putting it on tightly enough to click it at least three times after fill up.
    Not a bad idea. Let's see... if it were the emissions evaporation system, why do we only get the problem at gas stations when restarting? ALL my other restarts are perfectly normal, including first thing in the morning, when the engine is cold (like after work) and after the engine has warmed fully (like stopping at a convenience store after driving for awhile, etc.)

The ONLY time it happens (at least for me) is gas station restarts and the only thing that's different about them is that I've removed the gas cap. I'm in New Jersey and when we go through inspection, they specifically vacuum test your gas cap (I didn't even know they did this until I failed last year for a bad gas cap on another car). I'm guessing that certain cars are designed to have "sealed" (non-venting caps) and vice versa. I'm not sure which we have, though I would think that the point of an emissions evaporative system would be to NOT let the gas vapors escape out the cap, but rather to force them to vent into a charcoal canister and then get sucked back into the intake air stream somehow later (like my old GMs did). I can't quite figure out why a vented cap would be a good thing, but there are a lot of them out there, so there must be a good reason for them. In any event, I still say it's coincidental that the problem only happens when the gas cap is disturbed- everything else (including the charcoal canister, injectors, fuel filter, etc.) doesn't change during my "non-gas-station" start-ups.

Since it's cheap enough to test (I would hope), I'll try another gas cap and let you know if it does anything.

Keep me posted on your progress and thanks for your input!
  • glucasglucas Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 toyota sienna van, 81000 miles. Car will not start after car is park overnight. it will crank engine,but stalls. car will run and idle as you start and press accelator at the same time
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try the Sienna Owners: Problems & Solutions discussion over in Vans or maybe the "No Start" Problems discussion.
  • mrubin7mrubin7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Santa Fe and have the exact same problem as everyone else seems to have.

I too have not brought it in for service yet. I realize this thread hasn't been updated in several months, but I was hoping somebody has something new to add.

All I can add is two things to do in the meantime:

1. When you start the car after gassing up, give it a lot of gas. The car will rev up and after a few seconds, throw it into drive. If you have enough room to go for a while without stopping, it should be ok. I've been filling up late at night when the stations aren't crowded to do this.

2. Leave the car running while you gas up. Obviously this is something you're not supposd to do, but it can work. The first time I did it, the car did sputter out and die while gassing up. But I tried it again recently and the car stayed running and I was able to drive off without a problem.
    Well I finally broke down and brought the car to the dealer over this problem. I'm picking it up tonight, but he told me he replaced the Purge Control Valve. He seemed to jump on this as soon as he heard the problem. Good News: it was covered under the warranty (bumper-to-bumper, I believe, so you better check it out before 60,000 miles... actually I think it might be 50,000 miles depending on your year- the 2002s got a class action settlement for the brochure misstating the horsepower & we got the option of an extra 10,000 on the bumper-to-bumper... bottom line is try to beat the clock and it should be covered. After I pick the car up, I'll let you know if it actually worked...
    P.S.- I laughed when I read mrubin's post because those were the 2 fixes I have to use also (either leaving the engine on or doing an NHRA smoky burnout out of the gas stations! ...ha!
  • youngnwiseyoungnwise Member Posts: 2
    I just want to say thank you to all of you wonderful, helpful people! I just purchased a 2001 Hyundai Sonata with the EXACT same problem at gas stations. Just reading that I am not the only one with the problem makes me feel better but all of the suggestions about ways to fix it is putting me on the right track to solving my problem. THANKS AGAIN!!! =)
    PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Well, I hope everyone has the same luck, but after the dealer replaced the purge control valve, the car was as good as new... the trouble starting after filling up was completely eliminated immediately afterward. If you do decide to try the same fix, my receipt head the following entry as to what was done: "replaced purge control valve with ECU reset as not allowing purge." Good luck to all!
  • creis10creis10 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 06 Sonata, and my problem isn't at gas stations, but hitting accelerator after cold start. I get a bucking/ almost misfiring picture. The dealer can't find anything wrong of course. Any ideas? Purge control valve here too? Fuel filter? Injectors?
  • askerrittaskerritt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 V6 GLS Sonata. Just recently the car requires numerous attempts to start after I fill up. Once the car has been started the problem disappears until the next refill. I usually fill up at 3/4 empty. Is this fault a poor fitting gas cap or as I have read a Purge Control Valve. The garage "fixed" my car by replacing plug leads and spark plugs as part of an engine tune up. Needless to say the fault reappeared as soon as the next fill up. The garage is now saying it could be a "weak: fuel pump and maybe it needs replacing. In order not to rack up costs on unrequired replacement parts I would appreciate some advice. Thank you.
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    it probably is the purge control valve - have you ever overfilled with gas? topping off? that could damage the evap controls... there is a component that catches gas vapors - if you overfill by topping off - you could get raw fuel into that section that should only be getting vapors - this will set off all kinds of related svc eng light codes...
  • rkthunderrkthunder Member Posts: 1
    I had this same problem on my 2004 Santa Fe. The valve is covered by the 6 year/60,000 warranty, but not the longer powertrain warranty.

Unfortunately, my Santa Fe has over 60,000 so the repair was 250 dollars. The part is only 36 dollars - the rest labor.

I urge everyone to go get their valve replaced now while their car is under warranty.
    everyone should try to get a decarb or fuel system cleaning at intervals to keep from getting problems with clogged valvs and injectors.... every 15k miles is good...
  • dk3724dk3724 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 santa fe and I sem to be using a 1/4 tank on a five mile drive. I have noticed that my rpms shoot up as if extra fuel is being used and then it levels off. I do have an odor of gas at times when parking after driving or starting. When the rpms shoot up and then down the car bucks. Also My check engine light comes on sometimes but not every time. Any suggestions
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    Park it in a garage with newspapers on the floor. See if you have a leak. Have you brought it into your dealership?
  • miamicamiamica Member Posts: 1
    filled up with gas, made 1 stop. gas gauge reads empty, gas light on as if it is empty.
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    Sounds like a sticking gas float in the gas tank. If the tank is full and the guage reads empty then it must be the guage float/sensor in the tank that is remaining in postion and not moving when the tank is filled. The dealer will probably have to remove the tank with the fuel pump inside and fix it or replace it. Or, it may unstick itself going over a big bump.
  • sempersemper Member Posts: 5
    I had my car at the dealer yesterday for a state inspection and asked about the hard starting. They recommended changing the purge valve, quoted me $125. I didnt have it done yet as I wanted to research...and by reading these notes it seems the correct solution. I have topped off before so probably that's what caused it. I also mentioned the car bucks or "skips" when I start out...it always does it four times (4 skips)...as if the transmission slips...and he said there's a bulletin out to replace transfer case module....haven't researched that and it's the first time I've heard of such a bulletin...they quoted me $350 for that. I thought bulletins usually meant there's a flaw with a part and it's replaced for free. I need to find that bulletin.
  • jama1120jama1120 Member Posts: 1
    I started having the same problem only after fuel fill ups. My santa fe (02) hesitates
    when restarting. My mechanic turned up clueless after witnessing it for himself. I did notice that after pulling over and trying to duplicate the problem by removing the gas cap and shutting the car off, you are able to here the gas gurgling which I never noticed before in this car or my other car. An other suggestions other than a gas cap which I will try this weekend?
  • lleon2lleon2 Member Posts: 2
    I was just curious if you were able to fix the problem. The same thing is happening to me. Can you let me know? thanks
  • sempersemper Member Posts: 5
    I had the purge valve changed and it fixed the problem nicely. The purge valve will go bad eventually from repeated topping off.

Bill
  • thepigdocthepigdoc Member Posts: 1
    04 Santa Fe, 102K miles - had been sluggish on hard accelleration for the last 2 months. Then stalled on road, check engine light came on. Restarted after a few minutes, but was sluggish. Low on power, but did not miss. Got home, disconnected battery, replaced fuel filter (was dirty!), reset inertial fuel shut-off switch. Cycled fuel pump a few times to purge air. Started, check engine light was off. Ran fine for 10 seconds, then stalled again and check engine light came back on. Wouldn't restart. If I disconnect fuel return line at the tank sender and then cycle the key, the fuel pump will pump fuel out of the return line, so fuel pump seems to be OK.

Fuel pressure regulator?
    Other ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    thepigdoc
  • lleon2lleon2 Member Posts: 2
    My Santa Fe wouldn't want to start up after putting gas in the car. When it would start it would die out. Engine light remained on. Replaced the purge control valve and it fixed the problem. The part was about $50 from the dealership.

Maybe that will help.
  • bow45bow45 Member Posts: 21
    I own a 2003 Santa Fe LX 3.5 V6 AWD. I did have similar issue in October 2009 when my Santa Fe had 123,000miles on it.

The reason of the issue was the Accelerator Position Sensor malfunction (code P2125).

I paid $121.70 for the accelerator sensor and $156.66 for the labor. Total was (w/ tax) $297.87. I had it replaced at D'Arcy in Joliet, IL.

I hope it helps.
  • bumblesbumbles Member Posts: 3
    Car would hesitate at highway speeds and then just stall out. Had it towed to a Hyundai dealership. Not mine since I was 100 miles away. They ran diagnostics and found nothing so they decided I had water in the gas tank. It was late on a Saturday, and they said they would go to Auto Zone on Monday and buy some dry gas. Were going to run a different diagnostic that I would have to pay for because of the water. Put dry gas in and it didn't help. Called my dealership and they wanted to know if they did a fuel sample. They said no, they were going to take fuel pump off. Said they were doing things backwards. Just called me and said they are replacing fuel pump, no water...fuel pump was defective. My dealership called them, and I think they put them on the right track. Just needed to vent !!!!!
  • happyerickhappyerick Member Posts: 2
    My '03 Santa Fe GLS (V6) has 170,000+ miles. Recently I have hard time to start it up. It will take 10+ seconds to start the engine up. Once it start and everything is running fine. No engine light up ever. One garage said it may be the fuel pump problem, but they cannot grantee on that. Could some one give my some advice. Thank you so much.
    it is accurate that fuel pump is suspect - that is one of the only things that can begin to fail and not throw a svc eng light on.... you can try tune up and emission system cleaning to look for improvement but that may be a waste of money and time - if those things were problems - svc eng light would be likely to be present...
  • happyerickhappyerick Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much.
  • birdman15birdman15 Member Posts: 4
    my 04 had the same problem it was the perge valve on the fuel system a part of the smog system
  • tylerbobtylerbob Member Posts: 1
    We have an 08 and every time we fill it full with gas it will start and die. It will do this a couple of times and then run just fine. any ideas what this could be I thought possible fuel filter.
    Thanks
  • gizzygirlgizzygirl Member Posts: 1
    my check engine light comes on when my gas gets to the 1/2 way mark. I retighten the cap and a couple of car starts later it will go off. Advance Auto says it's my O2 sensor, but I think it's just my gas cap. If it is my sensor..how hard is that to change?
  • chryn4chryn4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 sante fe and it seem to using less than ten miles per gallon and sometimes i smell gas. when driving to about 25 miles per hour the car jet and the engine light is on. Can someone help me with solution?
  • amandaleigh1amandaleigh1 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2001 hyundia santa fa, imy engine light is o so i took it to a shop to find out y. they ssaid my o2 sencer needs to be canged and i have a vacuum leak.. they wanted over 2000 to fix it so i am going to try to do it myself.. now how can i find out where the leak is comeing from and how do i know what sencr need to be change... any help would help me out thanks....
  • amandaleigh1amandaleigh1 Member Posts: 2
    when i am driving around 25 miles hr i smell gas.. it does not look like i have a leak what would cause this to happenn.
  • ejames82ejames82 Member Posts: 2
    what I am reading all over the web is that topping off with a santa fe is a huge no-no. I am going to make an effort to never fill over the 3/4 mark. the last I checked I had a p0441 code and this can happen because the charcoal in the canister becomes loose and travels up the line to the vent valve and may cause problems with the line the vent and possibly elsewhere. I just bought this car so I am not sure of the habits of the previous owner.
  • realtor8realtor8 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2016
    08 Hyundai Santa Fe engine check light: code 2068-fuel level sensor B Circuit High. Replaced the left and right fuel level sensors, reconnected the battery, light came on the next day. Suggestions??? realtor8
  • IzzyIzzy Member Posts: 3
    tylerbob said:
    We have an 08 and every time we fill it full with gas it will start and die. It will do this a couple of times and then run just fine. any ideas what this could be I thought possible fuel filter. Thanks

Type your commenting have an 08 Hyundai Sante Fe. I had same problem , after filling with gas it wouldn’t start. Had to hold accelerator down for a couple of minutes then do a very fast shift and GO! Engine light was on. Code said Evap problems. Changed 2 parts of Evap control system( I was told it has 3 parts) never helped. Finally wouldn’t start in my driveway, sounded just like at gas station, but it would not start. Had it towed to repair shop, changed fuel pump for $ 626.34 !!!! Engine light off. Got gas on the way home and it started. I was happy. Next day, all of a sudden, engine light on again. 😩.   I’m very frustrated..  
    Izzy said:
    tylerbob said:
    We have an 08 and every time we fill it full with gas it will start and die. It will do this a couple of times and then run just fine. any ideas what this could be I thought possible fuel filter. Thanks

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well if there wrere EVAP codes that's a big hint right there. Depending on which code, there may be problems with the EVAP venting system and the valves that control it.
  • LarryAZLarryAZ Member Posts: 2
    brownrt said:

I have a 2002, 6 cylinder Santa Fe with 120,000 miles. It generally runs great. Thee only problem I have is after I fill the car with gas, it is difficult to get the car started, and it runs rough for the next minute or so. Has anyone heard of or had this problem? What is the fix?

Replace the "Purge Valve." Odds are it will fix your problem and cost a lot less too.
  • LarryAZLarryAZ Member Posts: 2

We experienced the same problem with our 2003 Santa Fe this morning. Until now we have not had any problems. When we gassed up the car it would not start and even after it did the transmission would not shift out of park for a few minutes. This happened to us twice today. Our car has 112,000 miles. Sounds like a very similar problem. What did you find out and has it been fixed? If you have and don't mind what did the dealer charge if you took it back to him?

Replace the "Purge Valve." Odds are it will fix your problem and cost a lot less too.