Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford F-Series Fuel Pump/Fuel System

Comments

• Options
    help21help21 Member Posts: 2
    that 86 f150 has a 302 two wheel drive auto
  • Options
    randy714randy714 Member Posts: 2
    hi,can anyone tell me how to disconnect a fuel line.my 94 f150 has a bad gas leak,so i dropped the gas tank and need to know how to disconnect the lines,then i can put in the new tank.please help :mad:
  • Options
    mike9408mike9408 Member Posts: 74
    special tool sold in most automotive parts stores, is a collar that fits around smaller end of the two lines, push collar into coupler releases multipul fingers which spring out to larger part, once collar is pushed in just work lines apart, good luck mike0408
  • Options
    special tool sold in most automotive parts stores, is a collar that fits around smaller end of the two lines, push collar into coupler releases multipul fingers which spring out to larger part, once collar is pushed in just work lines apart, good luck mike9408
  • Options
    oldford2oldford2 Member Posts: 2
    This problem has plagued me for some time.It seems if the truck sets for a couple of days when I try to start it, it will start and then stall and the fuel pump will keep running and flood it out.Attempts to restart it are impossible until much later.Last time it did this I was under way and I tried to restart it by popping the clutch as it was still rolling and blew the muffler wide open. Sometimes it will run for weeks and no problem then all of a sudden Bingo. There is a leak from the top of the gas tank and am having it replaced this weekend but don't know if this is the cause. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    oldford2oldford2 Member Posts: 2
    In replaceing the gas tank my mechanic noted that the four prong electrical connection to the tank had deteriorated and was making a poor contact and so spliced in another he got from the junk yard and PRESTO all my problems disappeared and she now runs like a new one. Just something else to look out for when one runs erratic.
  • Options
    I found I had the same type of problem on my 1991 F150. It actually happened to me twice. found that with all the arching at the posts the temper had been lost at the post clips, just kept happening. So I went down to the hardware store and bought 4 wire kerneys (for #12 wire),cut the burned spring clips off the old harness and kernied the wire to the posts. This finished the problem for good. I had done it so many times that I cut an access hole in the bed above the connector and make a trap door just for this problem. Mine works great now...
  • Options
    sadcampersadcamper Member Posts: 1
    i'm new to this site and am having the same problem with my 1989 ford f150 rv.
    where do I get some answers to this problem. Have already replaced fuel filter.
    I head out to go camping and the truck runs fine for about 1 hour the first time and about 45 min. the second time. I don't trust it now.
  • Options
    As stated before, the problem with mine was the quick connect at the fuel tank. I believe Ford made the clips too lite. They beggin to arc and corrode, when this happens it looses contact and the fuel pump (in the tank) shuts down. To correct it you need to come up with a better way to make the connection at the fuel tank as I did. Mike9408
  • Options
    picco63picco63 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 94 F-150 inline 6 engine with two in tank fuel pumps. I can't seem to get them to work. I put a new pump in the rear tank, changed all my fuses and relays, and finally installed a new wiring harness for the fuel system. All the parts I changed were genuine ford parts. Need help on what to do next.
  • Options
    mickeymouse2mickeymouse2 Member Posts: 161
    First check to see that your inertia switch hasn't popped. Usually located on passenger side kick pannel, floor board on drivers side, or sometimes behind rear seat. Its' a small black box with a red button that pops out when jared hard enough. If that checks ok, use a test light and with the key on in run position, see if power is going to it and out of it. Should be a two wire plug on your year, it might have tree wires. Usually the red wire is power in, and the green wire is power out to your pumps. Check that then re post with other questions.
  • Options
    picco63picco63 Member Posts: 2
    The first thing I checked was the inertia switch. I even got another switch just to be safe. I am getting power through my harness right up to the last connection. The only thing left is to check the wires from that connection to the fuel pump. I connected a battery directly to the harness (red and black wires) and the fuel pump did not kick in. I think I got it. Thanks for your advice mickeymouse2.
  • Options
    dogbitekiddogbitekid Member Posts: 2
    2001 f150 gas 6.4 Ran fine would not start next day had frame mounted fule filter replaced was told it was completly blocked, fule pump tested psi 25. Factory psi was 35-55 Ran fine 2 weeks same problem will not start again.
    Is there more than one fule filter on this truck ?
    Would this psi keep truck from starting?
    Any other ideas?
  • Options
    rpenn56rpenn56 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 f150 pu . It' been parked aprox 2 yrs. drained tanks and put in new gas.I removed the gas line between filter and engine there's no gas flow from either tank when dash board switch is changed . the gauge changes levels.Just wondering where to start troubleshooting. thanks ron
  • Options
    bsegabsega Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 1988 ford f150 . The truck was not driven for an extended time but was started by owner from time to time. There was a lot of smoke from the old oil on the engine block . I brought it home and washed it down with a water from a garden hose . Truck started fine & moved it about for a short time . Gas was a bit low . I parked it & was doing some cleaning . Tried to start it again & it just will not start . dropped in 3 gallons of gas & still will not start . I do not hear the pump (not sure if I should be able to ) Sprayed some quick start into the air intake & it fires up for just 1 sec or so but will not run . Can you please help . Is the pump in the gas tank and is there anything I can check .
  • Options
    Is it a duel tank? If it is, try switching to the other tank. Also check to see if you are getting fuel through the fuel filter ( located in the frame rail between the fuel tank and the engine, left side I believe). Check and reset the roll over switch, Should be located in cab on the left side of the steering colume on the firewall. Will have a red button on top of it, push down on it to re-set. I can hear the fuel pump on my 1991, runs only for a second immediatly after turning on the ignition switch. I believe it is located in the fuel tank on the 88' as well, if you can't hear it try checking the fuel pump relay in the ingine compartment (drivers side on the finder well of the 6 cylinder, don't know what engine you have.)
  • Options
    bsegabsega Member Posts: 2
    I have a v6 engine single tank . Here is what I found so far . The truck has an external fuel pump & there was no power comming to it . The rollover switch is pushed in . I gave power direct to the pump & the truck now starts . I'm not sure where the fuel pump relay . I looked in the engine compartment drivers side fender & saw 2 small relay(one black & the other gray) like squre with green plug on the wireing harnes . The gray one was a bit hot . looks like there is no power going to the pump .
    I'm not sure if connecting the power direct ( only power when ignation is on) could damage the pump as it turns on as soon as I on the ignation & will not turn off .I'm worried 1) will I burn out the pump if I was to have the ignation ON 2) will I flood the engine or will the fuel go back into the tank . 3) how can I test the relay .

Thanks mike for the responce...
  • Options
    dogbitekiddogbitekid Member Posts: 2
    :)
    OK got the ford running again the fule pump had died completly, the clogged filter had taken it's toll on the pump and sent it on a down ward sprial to it's demise.
    Thank you to all who sent me their thoughts.
  • Options
    Glad to help. I would keep an eye on the fuel filter for a month or so to be sure it doesn't get clogged again. Good that your fuel pump was not in the tank. Pump probably burned out because of the clogged filter. Fuel cannot return to the tank if it never gets to the fuel return regulator. Good luck, Mike
  • Options
    300CID300CID Member Posts: 1
    For some reason I can't find a diagram / schematic of a F 150 fuel system. I own a 1989 F 150 2wd w/ 4.9 liter 300 cid EFI. I'm mainly interested in identifying the can-like apparatus on the frame rail. It must be a mechanical switching device because it has no wires going to it. It is located approximately below the door post on the drivers side. It has 4 lines to the rear and 2 to the front. The forward tank will work only after tapping on it. I suspect there is a check valve like switching manifold inside that acuates when fuel is pumped from the selected tank. Anyone know where to find the aforementioned diagram / schematic? Can this module be serviced /repaired? All information can be forwarded to me @ realgoodhand@yahoo.com. Thanks
  • Options
    ???????
    I have a 91 F-150, 4.9. I have a mis on #6 that I cannot figure out. When I start the engine (cold) #6 fires fine, as it warms up the #6 begins to miss, as time goes on it gets to the point where is occasionaly fires and the rest of the time it is missing.
    All of the other cylinders fire perfactly through all of this. Compression check is Ideal, all within 10%. New wires, new NGK plugs, timing check Ok, sparkplug wire resistance ok, coil (?), runs ok on the rest of the cylinders. Could it be the ignition module in the distributer, or what? Why would it be in the module for #6 when it is ok for the rest of the cylinders? Anyway, I am at a total loss. Mike
  • Options
    jethro3jethro3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 F350 w/ the 7.3L powerstroke that has 194K miles. The motor ran ruff then died. now it won't start. No smoke while cranking either. Don't know what the PCM codes are yet. Any suggestions or tests?
  • Options
    myblazermyblazer Member Posts: 3
    My 2000 F150XLT stalled when i was driving down the road at 50 MPH the engine turned off i tried to start it, it turned over and sounded like it wanted to start but didnt. What do you think it is i think is the fuel pump any thoughts also is the fuel pump for this year in the tank?

THANK YOU
  • Options
    FallkenFallken Member Posts: 1
    It sounds like the ICM (ignition control module). My '77 gas burner did the same thing. It is very unnerving losing power at 70+ mph on the interstate next to an 18 wheeler. Ford has historically had an outsourcing problem with their far east suppliers producing quality electronics. The the ICM is normally encased in an epoxy mixture that is supposed to keep the circuit boards "safe" from vibrations, heat and debris but don't. After a bit of heat is applied to it, the interior of the ICM cracks - along with the circuit board(s). Replace the ICM and the problem will stop. However, it is likely to occur again (especially with heavy use) so keep the part number handy or do what I ended up doing: carry a spare. If you bug your areas Ford rep. long enough Ford will pay for it - that's what I did. Good Luck - Fallken
  • Options
    flashxflashx Member Posts: 2
    my 1993 f-150 won't start and displays a reset fyel on the dash, can anyone help?
  • Options
    flashxflashx Member Posts: 2
    my 1993 f-150 won't start and displays a reset fuel on the dash, can anyone help?
  • Options
    Check your Collision switch, reset it by pushing the button on top. Switch is located under the dash on the firewall to the left of your left leg. Check your circut breaker and fuses.
    Mike9408
  • Options
    mrbrown530mrbrown530 Member Posts: 1
    i just recently bought an f150 2003. in the first week of having it my check engine light came on. tests said engine was running lean and come to find out is was a bad throtle switch. i hope that was all that is wrong. any questions or comments please.......i dont know much about cars that is why im asking thanx.
  • Options
    greenwhitetailgreenwhitetail Member Posts: 1
    where is the fuel pump on my 1996 f150. I have dual tanks
  • Options
    ajax01ajax01 Member Posts: 2
    1993 F150, 4.9L engine, 4X4, long bed, std cab.
    I shut it off last night with about 1/8 tank of gas in the front tank. This morning it would not start. I switched to the rear tank and it started. I filled the front tank and put gas in the back tank as well. It still will not start on the front tank. I checked the collision fuel-shut off switch. It is depressed and ok I guess; I've never seen one that had activated. It will not run on the front tank: I switched tanks while driving and had to switch right back to the rear tank. There are no fuses in the fuse box inside the cab marked for fuel anything and I don't know where or whether there are more fuses.
    The only thing different to me from the day before is that a shield on the exhaust had come loose a few days ago, so I put new bolts in it last night. I can't think that I was any where near any fuel system components, but then, I wasn't looking for them either.
    Any help on what the problem is?
    THANKS IN ADVANCE. :confuse:
  • Options
    Ford did two different designs on that. One they used a rail mounted fuel pump driverside slightly forward towards the engine that pulls fuel trough the selector valve also on the rail drivers side about where the bed starts. Look for damaged wires at the selector valve from that exhuast sheild that fell off. It may have cut one of them.

If you have the design of two fuel pumps, it is probably the pump.

Your inertia switch kills power to your fuel pump[s] reguadless what design. If one is working, it is not that.

Be focusing on the selector valve. Good luck
  • Options
    ajax01ajax01 Member Posts: 2
    The exhaust shield is on the passenger side right beside the tranny. It didn't fall off, only lost a bolt & rattled, so no cut wires from that.
    When you say 'rail mounted' are you referring to the frame? I just put all new brake lines on and don't remember anything with wires (selector switch or pump) on the frame, but I'll look again. There is a fuel filter in the gas line that lays inside the frame about even with the drivers floor board.
    I don't know where the fuel pump(s) is, but I assumed one in each tank.
    Thanks for your comments.
  • Options
    tgj1tgj1 Member Posts: 2
    I am having a problem that while driving my truck the check engine light comes and the engine dies. When I go start it back the fuel pump just runs and does not shut off, could someone help me with this and please tell me what the flat pancake contraption is up next to the fuel injection manifold.
  • Options
    Can you retrieve the trouble code from your computer? If so, this will narrow down the problem. Are you sure you are not out of fuel? Not sure what the pancake contraption is in less it is the fuel back pressure regulator. The regulator restricts the amount of fuel returning to the gas tank, forcing more fuel to the injectors, thus making more fuel inter the cylinder to make it go faster. I suggest going to your local automotive parts store and pick up a Chilton (or equivalent) manual #266664 which covers 1987-1996 Ford Pickups. This manual will help you alot and only costs around $20.00. What engine do you have? Is there a vacuum line going to the pancake thing and is it hooked up and in good condition? Check all of your vacuum lines and wire connections before doing any repair work.
  • Options
    tgj1tgj1 Member Posts: 2
    Mike,
    my truck does have 300 6cyl motor with duel tanks and the metal contraption does not have a vacuum line to it and it looks like that i would have to replace the gas line with it.
    Thanks Troy
  • Options
    oilslick01oilslick01 Member Posts: 1
    1985 F-150 4WD 5.0 FI with dual tanks- 2 low pressure and one high pressure fuel pumps with no power going to them. Does anyone know where the relay and/ or fuse link is?
  • Options
    Check the collision switch inside the cab on the firewall above your left foot. Reset button on top of it. Or relay may be on left finder well under hood.
    Mike
  • Options
    The relay is usually green in color on the drivers side engine compartment. The inertia switch or what the other person described as a collision switch can be located in 3 different areas; left kick pannel, right kick pannel, and on firewall inside cab on either passenger or drivers side. If there is no power going to the inertia switch with key on. it will be your ignition switch or fuel relay. Common issue is the fuel relay because it is mounted upside down and will collect moisture.
  • Options
    bagzbagz Member Posts: 1
    have you figured out this problem yet??? my truck is doing the identical thing?/????
  • Options
    exbubbleheadexbubblehead Member Posts: 1
    1990 F150 4.9 EFI. Fuel pump runs for as long as a minute. It will then start, and with the exception of an occasional high speed miss, it runs ok. Same process to start it again. Found a loose, capped hose that was clipped to the frame in front of tank. Dont know where it goes. Could it be check valve or something else?
  • Options
    stan58stan58 Member Posts: 9
    sorry but can't help you on that
  • Options
    hazymoonhazymoon Member Posts: 3
    Did you find out what was wrong?
  • Options
    Did you find out what was wrong?
  • Options
    stan58stan58 Member Posts: 9
    No I replaced the rear tank but had no luck, will try again when time is available. I wish someone could tell me how to do away with the front or rear tank but have not found that person, and yes the pump in the rear runs.
  • Options
    I don't know about the pancake part but I have 2 1992 f150 fords 6 cyl 4.9 and on both trucks my fuel pumps would not stop running and it would not start. Had gas had spare but the pumps would not stop running when the key was on! I took it to a 35 year ford man he didn't even look at it all he said was it is your IIC box, both times I had him put a new one on and the way I went Part is about $100.00 same with other truck IIC box!!
  • Options
    wannanamewannaname Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 1990 F 150 . I replaced the fuel pump and now the fuel pump won't shut off resulting in the truck won't start unless I spray gas in carb. first. I have check fuel filter and gas is coming thru to engine.I also used the check valve in rail to check for fuel,I have replaced the fuel relay, fuel regulator, also. Could any one help with this problem.? I really appreciate all help. :confuse:
  • Options
    bmarshall57bmarshall57 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 F-350 6.0 the sensor shows water in the fuel, today I drained the water seperator and there was only a couple drops, last week I changed the fuel filters and added a salution to obsorb the water, also it seems that when I loosen the fuel cap then put it back on the lite goes out for a while,could it be the sensor.
    thanks for any suggestions
  • Options
    broughanbroughan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 F-150 straight six. The problem is that when i turn the key to on the fuel pumps run continuously and wont shut off and check engine light is on but the truck will start but runs very very rough. This is and intermitent problem. I can turn the key back off and try it again and then they will work fine and the truck will run fine. Even while driving and seems to be running fine the check engine light will come on and it will run rough again. This just seems to happen whenever and wherever. I have changed the fuel filter, changed relays, cleaned both tanks. Fuel pressure was correct. Any ideas?? Do you think this is a computer problem.
  • Options
    dayna11dayna11 Member Posts: 1
    when fuel selector is on front tank, engine idles rough and sill stall. If selector is on rear tank, truck idles smooth and runs well. But front tank will start overflowing throwing gas out. and the rear tank loses gas. Can anyone help me?? any ideas of what it could be??

thanks
    **Dayna** :)
  • Options
    You could try reversing the fuel return lines (front and rear).Now As far as running rough on front tank, check for an air leak (cracks etc) on front tank suction hose. (Most of this will be at the fuel switching valve, I believe located inside the left frame rail.)