Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Tires Wheels and Sensors

Comments

• fireboy1079fireboy1079 Member Posts: 1
    Don' wait to replace the stock tires. Find a good premium replacement asap, the difference will be dramatic. I bought Cooper CS4's a new touring tire,( 05 CRV LX auto.) 80000 mile warranty, 45 day return policy if you don't like the tire. Here is a review from Motor Trend. http://www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/112_0704_cooper_cs4_touring/ I regret not replacing the tires sooner, you can't believe the difference. (I had the Bridgestones) Goodyear Triple Tread, Michelin Harmony are good also but don't suffer thru the oem tire, it is not worth it.
  • dromedariusdromedarius Member Posts: 307
    We just put Goodyear Triple Treads on our 2005 SE. We hated the OEM tires, Bridgestone Duelers, and are VERY happy with these new tires so far. Living in the Upper Midwest the true test will be when the snow flies and the roads get icy, but these tires are definitely quieter and ride better.

Also, the OEMs needed to be replaced at 37,000 miles. What pieces of crap!

:mad:
  • monty7562monty7562 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 07 CRV.LX. I have two sets of wheels and tires for the vehicle. this is equipt with TPMS. I have sensors on all wheels(8 in all). my problem is, when I change my summer wheels for winter, or vice versa. I have to have the sensors re- registered in to the computer. this costs $75 each time. are there any other options ?? can you disable the TPMS system without it affecting the vehicle stability assist (it's tied in with it). I wish Honda would not have added this feature. but I guess it's coming to all vehicles. thanks for any input.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I wish Honda would not have added this feature. but I guess it's coming to all vehicles. thanks for any input.

Say, "Thank you big brother government for looking out for stupid people who can't be bothered to check the tire pressure at every fill up."

I just came back from a trip outside of US, and the things I saw, would make "ambulance chaser" lawyers jump in joy. Boardwalks with no handrails, balconies with low barriers, no warning signs on wet floors...

It was refreshing to see a country where the government does not mandate that stupid people be preserved. I say, let natural selection take its toll...

P.S. No, I was not in a developing country. It is a very well developed European Democratic Monarchy (has a Queen, but not UK)
  • djnewbolddjnewbold Member Posts: 2
    Hi there, I have a 2007 Honda CRV with 18,000 miles and my 2 front tires (original - continental 225/65 R 17) are worn out. OK I now know that I should have been having my tires rotated. My husband wants to buy just 2 new tires to put on the front and keep the original ones on the back. The tire shop suggest 4 new ones which will cost about $600 for the all weather, 60,000 mile warranty. We live where we get snow and ice all winter so I get nervous driving with worn tires. I am thinking about all weather and having them put those slashes in them for the snow because I guess the snow tires wear out so fast. Is my husband right that I only need 2 new tires?
  • terryp1terryp1 Member Posts: 55
    I'm going to have mine disabled, for free, the next time they light up the dashboard with a false positive. The dealer said they'd do it if I have the warning light problem again.
    I got an '07 back in April or so and within a month the tire pressure warning light came on. I checked and re-checked with my gauge and ones at my trusty local shop and the pressure was just as I try to keep it: the recommended 30 psi.
    I tried treating it like a computer and re-booted it: I put extra air in it and then let a lot out before pumping it back up to 30 psi. No luck.
    So, though I'm going to be doing all my own maintenance, I took the dealer up on that offer of the first oil change for free at 5,000 miles and asked them to make the warning light go out, too.
    I got a call a couple of hours later and they said the car was ready and that the tires just needed some more air. Hmmmm. I asked if the light was out. No, came the reply, but after you drive it a mile it will go out. I asked that they please drive it a mile before I come to pick it up because my wife and I scheduled our day around getting this done -- done right.
    Later, he called again. The light is out. He said the tires need 32 psi. I said the manual says 30 psi. He said it's really supposed to be 32 psi. Honda is indeed a precision instrument.
    I picked it up.
    The next morning, when the tires were plenty cool in the driveway, I checked the pressure. My first concern is that two of the valve stem caps were so loose they were wobbly: probably a single turn of the wrist with the cap between thumb and forefinger, when it takes at least three such turns.
    But more disturbing was this, if I recall correctly: two tires were at 33 psi, one at 32 psi and one at 37 psi. That is not a typo.
    Some days later the service manager called with one of those pro forma follows up to ask if everything went OK, in the style that says he expects to hear just that. I told him what I just wrote here. He didn't say a lot.
    I'm sure there are plenty of good mechanics at the dealership. But there are plenty willing to kiss off an assignment. Quality private shops can't indulge in that. They do good work or they lose.
    (By the way blueiedgod....you might remember me as one of those guys battling Honda over my '05 pulling to the right a couple of years ago. I won BBB arbitration and, at my request, instead of cash they gave me a great deal on an '07. I noticed somewhere that they re-designed the front end on the '07 to eliminate some of that same torque steer they said didn't exist.)
  • plim77plim77 Member Posts: 46
    It depends...

If your Honda CR-V is 2 wheel drive, then yes, you can get away with just the two new tires. (This may be the case since your front tires wore down so fast.) However, if your CR-V is all-wheel drive (AWD), then sadly, you will have to replace all 4.

With AWD, all the tires have to match and be of the same tread depth (or very close). Otherwise you'll cause a lot of damage.

Also, I don't recommend slashing the tires, especially if you have AWD. I had a 2005 CR-V with AWD and it handled the snow and ice just fine.

As blueiegod would say- read the manual.
  • djnewbolddjnewbold Member Posts: 2
    It is an AWD but I think it is something like a real-time AWD and just kicks in when needed. Thats what I understood anyway. Did you have all weather tires or snow tires for yours? Thanks for the response
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    You understood correctly - AWD kicks in only when slippage is detected. The thing is that with tires with different thread wear the computer will always read different revolutions (due to slippage) between the front and the back and will engage. This will cause the system to disengage when overheated (safety feature on our CR-Vs to prevent damage).
    Also, the other pair will wear out pretty soon too - common malady of the OEM tires (someone here said that these are made to different specs compared to the same tire available aftermarket to give you that nice, soft new-car feel). My original BF Goodrich Traction T/As lasted only 26K (the same tire is warranted to 60K aftermarket).
    Then, what's your family's safety worth? I never cheap out on tires and brakes. Slap 4 new Michelin Hydroedge or GY Trippletred (the tires of choice for the crowd here, judging from previous posts) and you'll be set for the next 3-4 years and 70-80K miles.
    And it never hurts to do some research - read through the "Tires, tires, tires" discussion; go to tirerack.com and read the ratings and comments.
    Good Luck!
    Like Plimy said, blueiegod is right, you need to read the owner's manual. It's a small investment to make considering how much one spends on a new car. In order for your AWD to work correctly the tires must be rotated regularily so they exhibit even wear so the system can detect slippage correctly. You won't get that with two old tires and two new ones. I don't remember what the manual said off the top of my head but I believe you can even damage the system by not keeping your car up the way you're supposed to because this type of system is only meant for short periods, but unbalanced tires can cause it to work constantly, thereby wearing/breaking the system. Hopefully I'm wrong and/or this isn't the case in your circumstance. In any case, you had to learn this lesson the hard way unfortunately .

;)

I live in South Dakota so I know all about the winter driving hazards. Firstly, the CR-V is AWESOME on ice and snow, even with the crappy OEM tires. However, since you are going to have to buy new tires anyway, get good all season ones. Tires, not stability control, not antilock, not 4WD, not EBD, not traction control, are your best ally in bad weather. Those systems only work as well as the tires. We just put Goodyear TripleTreds on our '05 and while we haven't got to test them out in the bad weather (thank goodness), I heard nothing but good things about them. There are several other brands people have recommended as well; you just have to read this thread a bit. (All this reading sucks, huh?) And for heaven's sake don't slash your tires! All you'll do is shorten their lifespan. If you buy good all season tires you'll be fine.

:shades:
    Darn, you weren't reading my mind were you :P
    You should type faster though :D :P
    I have Michelin Hydroedges on my 05 CR-V and my 01 Galant.
    Yeah, I got done with my post and went to reread it to make sure it made sense and there your post was. I started thinking "why did I just go through all that when someone else just did?" but then I noticed how close our posts were in time.

Good advice!

:P
    I finally got word that my tires from Discounttire.com shipped. I ordered a set of Hankook Optimas when the site had $100 off when you bought 4 tires (free shipping), but they called me and told me I would have to wait a while for the tires to ship, since they are on backorder from the manufacturer. I opted to switch to Yokohama Avid Touring. That was a month ago, they finally shipped yesterday.

I am giving Yokohama another chance. I had Yokohama Avid T4 on Gen 1, and they were perfect in wet/dry. But, the "V-groove" would fill up with snow and they would get really slippery in snow. Touring's don't have the "V-groove," so, I will see how they perform.

After the switchover my cost was $204 for 4 Yokohama Avid Touring 225/60-16's shipped!!!
    let me tell you my experience with Honda recommended tire pressure. I have a 2003 Honda VTX 1800 bike. Honda recommended 32 psi in both tires. I wore out a set of tires in 2,000 miles. when I contacted Dunlop to complain of junk tires, they informed me that the tire psi is 41 on both. Dunlop gave me a second set of tires, and I've had no problems with them AT THE RIGHT PSI !! Honda would not stand behind their mis- labeling of the recommended psi. thankfully Dunlop was was a good enough company to help me out. read the tire manufacturer book that should have come with your vehicle. I promise you there will be a difference in recommended psi. put in what the tire manufacturer recommends !!
    when you go to look for tires. you are going to find out that there aren't many made in this size yet. and they are very expensive. when I got my winter tires, I had to drop down to a 225/60/R17. hankook makes a nice winter pike in this size.
    there is a place on the web (hubcapzone.com) that sell's wheel covers for the old ugly steel wheels Honda put's on the LX's. I purchased a set for my 07, and I am quite pleased with them. they mount secure, and you can take the lug nut's off, without removing the cap. very resonably priced too, I may add.
  • phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    If you switched to this size wouldn't you also have to switch the spare to this size so not to screw up the AWD if you got a flat?
    I got your e-mail, but my hotmail account got messed up and I could not reply :(
    But regarding how noisy the Hydroedges are, I honestly can't tell. It does not bother me, a tire has to be very noisy to start bugging me. As I mentioned before, feel free to stop by at work and take a spin, just let me know when, because my wife is the one that drives the CR-V.
    As far as the spare - yes, I replaced that one too, although I later regretted it. Not much use of doing it unless you plan to include it in the rotation. But with the Hydroedges being directional I don't see it. Well, they gave me $40.00 for it at the Stillwater Discount Tire, so it was not all that bad.
    Michelin has rebates from time to time, so if you're not in a rush you may want to wait a little. Discount Tire also has a rebate if you charge it to one of their cards, so both time I ended with about $75.00 in rebates. Nothing at the moment though.
    if you get a flat, you disable the awd until you get the tire fixed or replaced.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "if you get a flat, you disable the awd until you get the tire fixed or replaced."

How exactly do you propose to disable the AWD? The CR-V has a full time system; there is no "High/Low" or "engage AWD" switch.
  • phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    Thanks Chris, I think I'm going with the Goodyear Triple Tread. I got discount tire to match the lowest quote I received. I was just hoping that maybe the hydroedge were a little quieter. I'll see about swinging by some time. Take it easy
  • plim77plim77 Member Posts: 46
    Not necessarily. Most people use their spare tire (full size or not) as a spare tire. So, if you get a flat, use your spare until you can repair the tire. Of course, you can only do this temporarily and I don't recommend exceeding 50mph. Unfortunately, because of the AWD, the tire tread depths have to match, so very rarely will you replace just one tire if you get an unrepairable flat.

However, if you're one of those people who does the 5-tire rotation- keeping all your tires in use (including the spare), then yes, you have to switch out the spare tire with the new type of tire as well.
    You're welcome! :)
    Check you e-mail.
    Good Luck!
    I meant the VSA. the AWD wold not be affected unless you plan on running a long distance on the spare.
    also, 2007 CRV's do not come with a full size spare anyhow.
  • greenteacrvgreenteacrv Member Posts: 22
    Like many owners of '07 CRVs, I have had multiple false TPMS problems. The system has been right on a few occasions when one of my tires was low on tire pressure, but comes on for no reason at other times. The low tire pressure light came on yesterday and I found the left front tire had about 20 lbs of air..........further, I could not find any problem (nail/cut/puncture, etc), so I aired the tire up to 33 lbs and the dash warning light went out. This has happened several times before......low tire for no known reason. I decided to check and see if the valve stem/air sensor nut was snug and I found I could tighten up each of the four tires' stem nuts 1/8 turn to 1/4 turn. This leads me to believe that the air from the tires may have been leaking from the actual valve stem/sensor where it goes through the rim. We'll see since the low tire has held the correct pressure for a day and a half now.
    be careful how tight you tighten them. the stem is part of the sensor and there is a rubber gasket that seals to the wheel. it is only recommended to use 4 lbs. torque to tighten these.
    I was real careful and just snugged them up.......it was just a hunch that the dis-similar materials.........metal, rubber, aluminum might have different shrinkage parameters. At least I hope the tire pressure stays up now.
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    Right after I got my CRV I lowered the tire pressure to 24psi to soften the ride.
    The TPMS came on after a while and I thought something was wrong.I put
    pressure back to 30 psi and the problem went away.It is different from my
    Toyota which I can run at low pressure.
  • dtstofdtstof Member Posts: 61
    How is this system physically hooked up to the wheel. Do you need to take it to the dealer, or can any major tire place fix a flat and not screw up the sensors? I have a 2007 CRV.
  • dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    Last spring I bought my 2005LX, 2WD CRV ,used @ 12K mi.
    Ex owner upgraded with OEM Alum wheels+ Kuhmo tires and also gave me the original 4 steel wheels with the original Dunlop GranTrak tires.
    My CRV had the "pull to he right" issue, although the dealer had realigned the front wheels per Honda bulletin ( car still under warranty).

For this winter, I decided to put on the steel wheels...and spare the alum wheels from heavy salted Michigan roads.
    Went to Bell Tires, put them on, and stored the Alum wheels in the basement.
    SURPRISE! NO MORE PULL TO THE RIGHT . Car runs straight as a bullet, I can't believe I can take my hands off the steering.

Could anyone explain why??? I wish this would be the feeling with the Alum wheels too!!
  • crvme3crvme3 Member Posts: 140
    Are the Dunlop tires still on the steel wheels? - if so then your issue is with the Kuhmo tires on the aluminum wheels... The problem is not with either set of wheels but the "phenomenon" known as "radial pull" with the Kuhmo tires, this generally occurs when the tire casing is not exactly centered with the side walls. Per my knowledge there have been no documented safety issues with this... You can try switching front tires right to left & see if pull changes or goes away. I was successful in eliminating the PTR on our 07 CRV by doing this... Good luck
    Yes, Sir!
    Dunlop tires are on the steel wheels, as they've been factory installed. Kuhmo tires are on the aluminum wheels as they were purchased and installed after that. Car PTR with the alum wheels and Kuhmo tires. Not we the recentlly installed steel wheels and Dunlops.
    I am glad it's not the frame or other mechanicals involving the chassis of the car. I'll put the alum wheels back next spring and rotate them too. i'll let you know then :))
    Thanks for the advice. Makes sense.
    How did you elimate PTR on your CRV? By switcing tires or by replacing them?
    Dan
    I like so many others, my '07 had a slight but annoying drift to the right... Had the alignment checked (twice 2 different sources) & was within specs - so I knew this had to be a tire issue, after confirming tires were not directional (meaning have to stay on same side of vehicle) I switched r/f to l/f - l/f to r/f... pull was either going to change to the left or disappear, in my case it went away completely & now like you can drive hands free in a straight line.
    check message # 5677 from Honda CRV -Maintenance and repair.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef026c3/5676

Looks like it's a combination of both: non directional tires and torque steer.
    Thanks for your input!
    Dan
    all tire shops should be trained in dealing with these sensors. but it wouldn't hurt to ask, beforehand. the biggest thing is to make sure you avoid the sensor area when removing the tire from the wheel.
    Got it... read it!
    Thanks Dan
  • sailorboy1sailorboy1 Member Posts: 10
    I want to carry a set of tire chains/cables in our 2007 CRV and I would like to get some recommendations from some folks that have actually used them. Please tell me about the good, bad and the ugly too. I've had a set of Peerless cables for my P/U and wasn't very impressed with them. Thanks
  • sailorboy1sailorboy1 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for all the info----------very helpful
    "Like many owners of '07 CRVs, I have had multiple false TPMS problems. The system has been right on a few occasions when one of my tires was low on tire pressure, but comes on for no reason at other times. The low tire pressure light came on yesterday and I found the left front tire had about 20 lbs of air..........further, I could not find any problem (nail/cut/puncture, etc), so I aired the tire up to 33 lbs and the dash warning light went out. This has happened several times before......low tire for no known reason. I decided to check and see if the valve stem/air sensor nut was snug and I found I could tighten up each of the four tires' stem nuts 1/8 turn to 1/4 turn. This leads me to believe that the air from the tires may have been leaking from the actual valve stem/sensor where it goes through the rim. We'll see since the low tire has held the correct pressure for a day and a half now."

The above was my post on Nov 29th............since I snugged up the tire pressure monitors/valve stems on the rims, I haven't had a false alarm as to low air pressure in three weeks. FYI............
  • sdescantsdescant Member Posts: 2
    I bought my CR-V used 13 months ago and have put approx 23,000 miles on it (mostly highway). The front tires have worn severely on the outside 1/4 of both. No, I did not have them rotated...yes, that is stupid. But the question is: Is this a allignment problem or is it related to the PTTR problems that I have (recently) read about?
  • crvtirescrvtires Member Posts: 1
    What is the best all season tire for the 05 CRV? The Kumho Solus KR21, and the Michelin Harmony on tire rack.com sound great. Just wondering if anyone has tried them? I noticed many of the reviews are for the hydroedge, but I thought those tires were made for smaller cars, I'm not sure if you will get the same mileage out of the truck???
    I had put a set of harmony's on our Civic about 1 1/2 years ago & just love them... They are quiet & wearing like iron, with good adhesion & wet weather performance. I will seriously consider them again when the OE shoes wear out on our CRV :)
  • mtwalitmtwalit Member Posts: 12
    Am having the same problem with my 2008 CR-V. All tire pressures are low and need to be inflated every 1-2 weeks.
    Now I have something to try thanks to your post!
    Happy trails! :)
  • vkgarryvkgarry Member Posts: 7
    I just replaced my third steel wheel on my 04 CR-V. The first was replaced under the original warranty, but my extended warranty doesn't cover wheels. I called Honda to get a price for replacements and was quoted $220. My local Discount Tire dealer was able to get an OEM wheel for $60. They've been very helpful in replacing two cracked wheels in two weeks.

My question is, has anyone else had this problem? We don't try to go off-roading in this vehicle. I know the all-wheel drive isn't made for that kind of driving, so I haven't abused the wheels. Just city streets and highway driving.

The vehicle only has a litle over 60K miles on it, so this seems a little strange. The cracks appear where the spokes weld to the rim. I've kept both wheels to show to my Honda dealer where I do all my service.

Let me know if anyone else has experiened this problem, how it was resolved ( if at all), and I'll post my results after I've had a chance to visit the dealer.

Garry in Vegas
  • fishhead253fishhead253 Member Posts: 3
    My rear driver side tire has feathered or cupped edges,this is the only tire thats wearing like this,could this be a rear alinement problem??? Thanks John
  • ubabubab Member Posts: 4
    Hi
    I have a 97 Honda CRV . I was wondering whether it is ok to have two different pair of tires in the front and back ie front ones have a different brand as opposed to the back. The tire that I am replacing is the back one and the front ones were replaced a year back. I am planningon replacing the back ones with another brand of tires with the same specification as the front ones does ie P205/70R15.
  • otto888manotto888man Member Posts: 7
    Its ok to have different brands of tire in different axles but not the same axles. i.e. Pirelli same model in the front. Michellins same model in the back. You should always to change the tires in pairs at the same time on the same axle.
    Hi
    I have a 97 Honda CRV . I was wondering whether it is ok to have two different pair of tires in the front and back ie front ones have a different brand as opposed to the back. The tire that I am replacing is the back one and the front ones were replaced a year back. I am planningon replacing the back ones with another brand of tires with the same specification as the front ones does ie P205/70R15.

If you have AWD version of the CR-V, it is recommended that you replace all 4 at the same time. If you are just replacing 2, then the new ones go in the front.

The AWD system is activated by the rotational different between the axles. By having older, worn tires in the rear you minimize the chances of the AWD system being on all the time and overheating.
  • ajmazurierajmazurier Member Posts: 1
    Do not feel too bad about not rotating your tires, we have now driven on the same tires for over 30,000 miles without rotating. We were attempting to prove a point. Are sensor for the oil life span was not computing correctly, nor was it communicating all that needed to be done at each instructed oil change. 1st my wife was driving for about 10,000 miles in between each oil change (15%) per the computer. And 2nd, the first two (2) oil changes (10,000 and 20,000) the rotate senor (1) never displayed. Even if it did appear at the 20,000 computer instructed oil change, it was too late to rotate, the front tires were worn. We are now moving on to the next test, 60 second battery disconnect reset, if this does not work, we might need a new guage control. Otherwise, we love our 2007 CR-V AWD. It did great in the snow (2-7inches), even with the crappy Bridgestone tires. Luckily the snow came down at the beginning of the tires life rather than the end of their life.
    James from the mountains of So. Cal