Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon XL, Denali Tires and Sensors

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
edited October 2014 in GMC
Looking for new tires (or wheels)? Talk about 'em here.

Comments

• goose63goose63 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 07 denali last week.love it so far but i am having a problem picking out 24" wheels. most vendors are telling me the offset on the 07 wheels are different. has anyone else put wheels on?
  • awf_axisawf_axis Member Posts: 136
    The '07 line of GM SUV's have different wheel specs, which require more positive offsets than the previous generation.

I have an '07 Escalade, and noted that the offset on my 22x9 wheel is 31mm.

Going to 24"s will probably include 9.5" to 10" wheel widths. With this in mind, you should get at least 30mm to 36mm in positive offset.

To do the traditional 18 or 20mm will push the tires out too far, and you'll have rain, mud and road debris coming up the side of your truck, including pitted side-view mirrors.

TIS is already making 20,22,24,26 wheels with 30mm offsets (although their website is not up-to-date).

Dave
  • hnaffhnaff Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 Yukon XL Denali in Dec came with 17" tires/wheels. I replaced with 22's. Any idea what i can sell the 17 GMC mfg tires and wheels?
  • tdohtdoh Member Posts: 298
    Probably around $600, maybe $700 if you can find a really gullible buyer. If you live in a cold-weather state, you might want to keep your 17s so that you can use them during the winter.
  • oger313oger313 Member Posts: 2
    New to the site and just bought a 2007 Denali. I also bought a set of antera rims style 345, which are 22X10 with a +35 offset. I am concerned the wheel and tire will stick out from the wheel well causing the mud and debris issue. Will this +35 offset make the wheel stick out or sit flush with the wheel well. Any help concerning this issue will be greatly appreciated
    Finding a wheel with the 35mm offset is good. The factory 22x9's have 31mm, and so you will be pretty flush.

The next question is what size tire? You can do either a 305x40x22 (which has about a 25.5" diameter), or a 305x45x22 tire, which is 26.4" diamter). The factory 22" wheel has a 285x45x22 tire, which is 26". However, this just doesn't have a wide enough profile to look custom.

You will probably be safer going 305x40, but the wheel may look small, and with the larger wheel, you might have to trim some plastic in the wheel well due to rubbing.

The rubbing seems to occur most when turning all the way and backing up (like leaving a parking place at the mall).

If you have a tire guy whose willing to mount either size tire, I suggest doing just the front wheels, and checking the clearance.

Dave
  • oger313oger313 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I will be going with a 305/40/22 and the tire guy says he's going to help me address the rubbing issues. So with that comb 22X10 with a +35 offset and a 305/40/22 tire I'll be sitting pretty flush?? I just hate when the tire sticks out, not the look I'm going for!!!
  • njvikenjvike Member Posts: 56
    Are you still interested in selling them? I'm interested.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think Hnaff was just trying to see what to price them at; otherwise he may have made his email public in his profile - we really aren't set up for buying and selling in the forum.
  • njvikenjvike Member Posts: 56
    Steve,

Sorry but he didn't make his e-mail public otherwise I would have contacted him offline. Oh well, I guess there's eBay and other classified sections.
  • dedomandedoman Member Posts: 24
    Hello,
    I am in the exact same predicament! Im looking to get a little more aggressive tire look and performance for off road for my 07 Denali, can you post pictures or advise how you made out?
    Thanks
  • grotlagrotla Member Posts: 1
    I recently changed my tires over from the 20" to a 17" Wintercat studded tire and rims and also installed new sensors. I got the part number from the dealership using my VIN and purchased the sensors. When the tires were installed the dash tire alarm is lit up and I cannot clear. The tire shop uses the portable sensor and is picking up the signal. do you have any ideas?
    There is a learning procedure required for the truck to know which sensor is in which location. Since you have 4 new sensors, none of their "ID" numbers have ever been read by your computer. You (or the tire shop), needs to reprogram the locations of each sensor. It is a processs that requires you to put the computer in "learn" mode, and then let air out of each tire (in sequence), until the computer learns each sensors ID and location.

Dave
  • swl1swl1 Member Posts: 2
    I've also got an 07 Yukon Denali that currently has 18" wheels. I'm moving to Alaska in May, and a friend has recommended that I downsize to 17" wheels with studded tires for wintertime driving up there. He also mentioned buying them in the lower 48 since they get premium prices in Alaska. Does anyone have any other suggestions, different thoughts, or advice otherwise?
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Freight's a killer but the price differential for Anchorage compared to most big cities isn't as bad as it used to be.

I guess you are keeping the 18's for summer? I think I'd wait and get steelies shipped up or find some locally after arrival and buy the studs up there. That's a lot of bulk and weight to haul up unless you are driving up empty otherwise.

Did your buddy tell you to get a Milepost too? They are handy for the drive up.
  • swl1swl1 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I plan to keep the 18s. The military is going to move me so I'm not overly concerned about the weight and cube. I may purchase the wheels here and get the tires mounted up there.

I do have a Milepost. That is definitely a handy guide.
    In that case, may as way mount them and ship them from home, unless you have horrible sales tax where you are now.

btw, I had old EAF company all week. :shades:
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    You'd better check clearance before you buy those 17's. I would guess that you would have clearance between the brake calipers and the wheel, but you may not. I'd see if a local tire shop is willing to test this by throwing a wheel on to check.
    Only reason I bring it up is that 18's are the smallest stock size on the Denali/Escalade, and I am not sure if GM used different brakes on these compared to a Suburban or Yukon.
  • yukongt78yukongt78 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 07 Denali Yukon with the standard 18" wheels I want to upgrade them to the Denali GMC optional 20" wheels. I was down at my local GMC dealer and someone came up to me and suggested I do not change the wheels, claiming there is an issue with some sort of setting for the suspensions or something that needs to be re calibrated once the wheels are changed. Is this true? Has anyone upgraded their wheels and had to change some sort of setting?
  • wheels9wheels9 Member Posts: 1
    GMC Yukon replace orginal wheels with 20inch aftermarket wheels but the oem TIRE SENSORS will not Fit.Tire shop states oem is to long and seats in middle of wheel, instead seated from angle like in oem wheel. The parts department from gmc states the TIRE SENSOR are the correct one oem from dealer. How can make TIRE SENSOR fit.
  • ggmm99ggmm99 Member Posts: 2
    We just purchased a 07 Yukon XL and replaced the standard wheels/tires with 22 inch rims. The TPMS is correctly reporting the new tire pressures, now in the Mid 40 PSI range which is normal for these new tires. The old pressure range is around 30 psi on the placard. The question is everytime the ignition is turned on, we get a "Check Tire Pressure" message on the DIC. The pressures are around 42-45 PSI. Is this caused by the higher tire pressure? Anyone else experince this?

Thanks
  • rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    Just wondering if you have gone through the learning steps for each of the tires so the system knows each tire's correct location (i.e. Right Front, Right Rear, Left Front, Left Rear)? I am not saying this may be the cause of the "Check Tire Pressure" message at all, just a question to your question. Sorry and Thx!

However, what may be triggering the message is the pressure sensor in each of the tires. Each may have a preset pressure range (i.e. 28 to 38 PSI), any reading above or below that threshold will cause the message to display. You may want to test that by lowering "all 4 tires" pressure to say 32-PSI and see if the message will go away...
  • ggmm99ggmm99 Member Posts: 2
    I had the "aftermarket" store install the tires, so I hope the programmed it. I could re-program it too. And as far as the system looking for the tires pressure in a certain range, that is what I'm afraid of. If that is the case, I wonder if it can be re-programmed to a different range?

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a shot.
  • denali856denali856 Member Posts: 118
    Does anyone where I can get the specs for the stock rims on an 02 Denali? I am considering replacing the stock 17" rims with 22s and would like to match the offset as closely as possible on the new rim (after accounting for the tire width increase -- looking at going to 305s from the stock 265s.
  • denali856denali856 Member Posts: 118
    Another question: in plus-sizing my wheels, a 40 profile on a 22 (e.g., 305/40/22) is exactly the same diameter as my stock 265/70/17s, but I am concerned about ride quality and durability on such a fitment. I know a 305/45/22 would ride better, but it's a slightly larger diameter than stock, about 1.2" or 3.2%, and I've read that fitments deviating >3% from the stock diameter could cause problems with wear of steering parts, brakes, etc. Any advice in this area?
    Just wonder if you had the chance to verify if the displayed message is from the sensors being out of the pressure range?
  • yukonxl1yukonxl1 Member Posts: 2
    I just did the same, I'm not having issues with the tire pressure, but I do have the tires rubbing on the front drivers side. Are you having this issue? I took the same wheel/tire set off of my '04 suburban. Any advice?

Wheels- 22"
    Tires- 305/45R/22
  • timmyjimmy5150timmyjimmy5150 Member Posts: 3
    Hey Yukonxl1:
    What wheels do you have on your vehicle?
    Any rubbing in the rear with the 305/45/22?
    tj
    I have a new 2007 denali with the 20" wheels...
    I'd like to get 22" wheels and new tires....
    Will 305/45/22 tires work fine with my 2007 denali?
    Who else is running 22" wheels?
    Any comments/ suggestions appreciated
  • kficeman1kficeman1 Member Posts: 12
    Just curious, why did you pay extra for the 20" wheel package if you were going to replace them anyways?

-Kevin
    It was on the lot that way and the dealer wanted to move it...
    He gave me a great deal....
    I just think it would look better with 22" wheels....
  • yukonxl1yukonxl1 Member Posts: 2
    I have no rubbing on any of the other tires, just the driver side. I think the wheels are Saacha, not 100% on that.
    Not sure if you had seen the discussions under the "GMC Yukon Yukon Denali Tires and Sensors" topic? There are several discussions about the plus size tires as well as Tire pressure senssor readings...
  • valvestudvalvestud Member Posts: 35
    Check out the Cadillac webpage. They offer 22" on the Escalade, so you can get the proper size from the specs. on the site.
  • kisha1kisha1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, my husband bought 22inch tires w/rims to put onto my Denali. I had them balanced and put on but the ride is kind of bumpy and I feel a slight vibration on the steering wheel. I have no problems steering or driving it but I don't like feeling every bump or crack on the highway or road. My question is will these tires mess up my suspension? Is there something I can have done to get a smoother ride with these tires on before I go and have them taken off? Don't get me wrong the rims look good on the truck but the overall ride & performance is a little more important to me. Can someone help?
  • kisha1kisha1 Member Posts: 2
    Can I take my Denali to the GM dealer to have my tire pressure sensors re-programed from the factory tire to the after market tire which are 22? Was wondering if they would do it or not.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    and the "looks" of those 22' rims. There isn't much that you can do about the ride, just part of the territory.
  • dtiger71202dtiger71202 Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know how complex is it to service the tire pressure sensors. On my 2005 Yukon XL, the right rear tire pressure shows 0 pounds pressure and the left front shows 23 pounds pressure. A manual check shows them to be in specs. Should I ignore it or should I pursue repair?
    A 2005 model should still under warranty (unless your mileage is way up there...), why not get the problem checked/repaired by your dealership.
  • richramrichram Member Posts: 3
    my 04 yukon xl says service tire montator anyone have any ideas thanks Rich
  • tommbotommbo Member Posts: 6
    I put my 20 inch wheels and tires from my 2005 yukon onto my new 2007 yukon denali. Is the offset the only problem i will have? i can deal with that with splash gaurds. i hope it will not damage anything. any advice on this??? thanx...
  • bnabdullahbnabdullah Member Posts: 2
    hi
    i decided to change stock tires, and go with aggressive one's
    So i decided with the Bridgestone Deular A/T 285s
    any idea if they,re any good,
    and how much lift would it give me
  • brewboybrewboy Member Posts: 36
    Remember you have to reprogram the ECM for the new size tires so your odometer/speedometer will be calibrated correctly. You can buy a programmer or get your dealer to reflash the computer to the new tire and rim size.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Are your tires inflated properly? You may want to back off on your tire pressure a bit.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • bnabdullahbnabdullah Member Posts: 2
    :confuse:
    So the 285's wont rub on the denali's body??
    or cause any problems?
  • ls1021ls1021 Member Posts: 1
    i got a new Yukon some days ago. Check everything normal when i was in the dealer. but yesterday i found the tire pressure PSI number is weired. front 63 35, rear 33 35. who know whats wrong with that?
  • richramrichram Member Posts: 3
    back to my question my 04 yukon xl says service tire montator anyone have any ideas thanks Rich
  • skijjjoskijjjo Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    i've installed 22' on my 07 denali with 285/45/22 falken's but its seems that when i turn the stearing wheel to the end, the wheels are rubbing slightly, is there anything that could be done??? and if i've installed 305/45/22 on the back wheels, does this affect the car?? i.e having front wheels different then rear one?
    thxs
  • tampapitampapi Member Posts: 14
    I would like to add a custom wheel and tire package to my 2007 Yukon XL but am undecided as to what size to go with. Handling is most important. I like a slightly lower center of gravity with an aggressive stance more so then the 26" Tonka toy look. Can you guys please make some suggestions?
  • rodneyy777rodneyy777 Member Posts: 1
    iam having promblems pumping gas , it stops at 2.57 all the time, is there any thing that i could do to stop that...

iam also having problems with senor on the tires , aftermarket and factory what to do :)
This discussion has been closed.