Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Yukon / Denali XL Transmission Problems

pyronh1pyronh1 Member Posts: 6
i have found that when i come to a stop sign and not completely stop and go the trans shifts hard alost like a bang to catch up with the car i ai taking it in for service 6036 miles i havent been driving much since i got my new saturn sky but will pos finding when i get it back from dealer anyone had this problum

Comments

• Options
    thudakthudak Member Posts: 2
    I have had the same problem with my 04 denali. I took it to the dealership with about 4,000 miles and said there was not a problem (they just could not recreate the problm) My wife drives the vehicle so i was not a ware it was continuing until i noticed it with around 35K miles. I took it in to have the issue resolved before the warranty went out. they said they had to tighten something in the transmission and carged me for a transmission service to boot. It fixed it for about 2-3K miles and i is still doing the same thing you described. I am thinking of dumping the vehicle before it gets worse. Does anybody know what the problem might be? Failure to shift back into first when coming to a rolling stop. it feel like it just stays in second gear until you give a little more gas and then it shifts hard back into first.
  • Options
    brianlittkebrianlittke Member Posts: 4
    I was having a similar problem. Then, I started getting a vibration at 50-60 mph. I have an '05 with 11,800 miles, purchased July 2005. So, I took it in. They first said it was bad fuel, so they cleaned the whole fuel system, checked the fuel and that wasn't it. Then, they said the torque converter was locking up. After a week in the shop and numerous calls to GM, they figured out that there was water in the transmission. When I asked HOW, they said the transmission dipstick is positioned in such a way that when it rains, the water runs down the windshield, over the cowling and drips onto the dipstick. Evidently, there is a service bulletin out there that addresses this. So, they replaced the seals in the transmission, the solenoids and put it all back. Basically, rebuilt the transmission. So, I finally picked it up Friday after being the shop for 2 weeks. That fixed the problem.
  • Options
    2005yukonxl2005yukonxl Member Posts: 1
    When I am on a hill and have the car in Drive and I let go of the brake the car will roll down the hill as if it was in Neutral. The same thing happens when it is reverse and I am backing up on a hill, if I let go of the brake it will roll down the hill.

Is this normal -- has anyone else had this happen -- none of my other cars do this - but this is my first Yukon.
  • Options
    ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    I've noticed the same thing. Some cars it will "hold" on the hill, but in my Yukon XL if the hill is steep enough, it will roll backwards despite being in Drive. It kind of surprised me, and I don't know if it does any damage. Probably better to just keep your foot on the brake to be safe.
  • Options
    waterbaby1waterbaby1 Member Posts: 1
    Alright in 3 of 5 you hit the nail on the head i think. I bought my truck in dec of 1999 has 56,000 km...I am hoping some one can help in guiding me here. Over the last couple of months (maybe 2-3)when i get to 45-55kms she start to viberate a little not a great deal just enough to notice then over the last week a bit more. i have been trying to trouble shoot my little truck i lost my good paying job last year so i couldn't quiet afford a good inspection then today (really heavy blowing wet snow) it got even worse i put her in 4wd auto for a bit and then tried to get it into reg but it went to 4 low and wont come out. tried 4 high and still wont budge. Could i have the same problem? Can i get it out of 4 low myself some how? And could i still call the dealer on this, the same way? or is this worse?
    Any help out there?
  • Options
    hi soory for your trouble when it goes in 4 wheel low sometims you have to go in reverse and hit 4 wheel high it should come out then sound like the sound i ahd and it was the front axel sound travles thru and makes it seem like the trans
  • Options
    rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    waterbaby1, from reading your post, I get the feeling the vibration and the shifting from 4-Low to regular are 2 separate problems. The vibration you mentioned, were you able to tell if its coming from the steering wheel or the back of the vehicle? Assuming the vibration is not from the steering wheel, unless its caused by your tires, otherwise, have you checked the universal joints on your drive shaft? If your drive shaft u-joints has a grease fitting on each, you may want to grease them and see if that can take care of the vibration for now...
  • Options
    edbjredbjr Member Posts: 2
    :lemon: I have a 2007 Yukon which is 4 weeks old. I noticed that on an incline it will roll backwards after you take your foot off the break peddle. I contacted GM and the dealer 3 days after I bought it. I have been getting the run around and was told by GM that they have never heard of this serious safety issue before mine. They also said no one else has reported this problem. Let them hear from you if you have this problem!!
  • Options
    gwsmtihgwsmtih Member Posts: 1
    Its sounds like the transmission needs a pwm silinoid and a new torque converter. Common problem and that fixes it.
  • Options
    greenthumbsgreenthumbs Member Posts: 1
    I complained about the same problem. I was told it was normal if I was on a steep hill.
  • Options
    gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    greenthumbs,
    I apologize for your concerns. Who did you speak with about this? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    shon_fuller1shon_fuller1 Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced the engine on my '02 Denali with one from an '01 Silverado 3500, which is supposed to be identical. The mechanic stacked the pump on the transmission. Now it is at the transmission shop, and they are saying they can't get the flexplate to line up properly, and saying it must be the new engine, but everyone I have talked to says otherwise. IS there something year specific to the '02 that would cause this, and what needs to be done, purchased, or switched on the transmission to remedy this.(i.e different flexplate,torque converter,etc. than other years)
  • Options
    gaspard1gaspard1 Member Posts: 1
    Over the past few days, I've noticed that I feel some vibration when I am in the 1,000 - 2,000 RPM range (and I am in a high gear--maybe 4th to 6th gear). It isn't about speed. It will vibrate in that RPM range at 50MPH or at 25MPH.

I have about 65,000 miles on the Denali. If this is the transmission, it this covered under the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty?

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    gaspard1,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. I would encourage you to contact your local GM dealership and have the vehicle diagnosed. Please keep me posted on any information.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • Options
    axemaster62axemaster62 Member Posts: 1
    So once may be a fluke, but twice is a problem. I have a 2005 yukon xl denali that just threw 3rd gear AGAIN. Considering I have babied this vehicle, I lost the first tranny in Jan 2011, with 53k miles on it. Was at a hockey tournament with my kid. Dealership in Strongsville Ohio bent over backwards to get one overnighted and installed the next day! Fast forward to July 4th 2011 and 4k miles later, 3rd gear goes out AGAIN. Do yourselves a favor my friends, next time you want to spend over $60k for new vehicle, buy a FORD.
  • Options
    axemaster62,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
  • Options
    travis62travis62 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2007 Yukon Denali, 32600 miles, i just noticed when i put the car in D and start to roll i hear a squeaking sound coming from the rear, if i slow up the sound stops when i stop. can't discern at higher speeds. Any help?

Trav
  • Options
    we where in the parking garage in boston at a bruins game and i herd the same sound only to find that my ujoint had no grease in them they where still good but there is no way to grease them with out a fitting so i cahnged them .the new one have a grease fitting so i can greas them when i want or when i change the oil i am at 89000 now
  • Options
    travis62,

Were you planning on taking the vehicle into a GM dealership to be diagnosed? Please keep me posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
  • Options
    milwife1milwife1 Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a used 2005 Yukon Denali w/ 114,000 miles. Within 1 year we had to replace the entire transmission. The vehicle would only allow us to drive 30-40 MPH but would be stuck in 6th gear. Shifting gears extremely fast without accelerating fast. Once the transmission was replaced, within 13 months the same problem happened again. This time my family and I were 9 hrs from home. A transmission shop worked with us and got us a brand new transmission. Within 6 months, it would slowly, slowly shifting into first and we have to accelerate faster to get it out of first. Took it back to the same shop and it had fixed itself. Now just yesterday its doing the same exact thing! Along with the DVD player, navigation system, CD player all not workimg and peelins buttons! This is getting so frustrating!!! We have small children and do not have funds to replace a transmission every year or less!!! We can't afford to trade it in for a better vehicle either. I've read all over the internet where a lot of people are having the same exact problems. Is there a fix for the transmission problems w/ out replacing the transmission?
  • Options
    gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Milwife1,

If you decide to work with a dealership towards resolving this, please let us know in an email with more information.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    jms2011jms2011 Member Posts: 4
    I have the same problem with my 2011 denali. Yes is there is bang almost as if someone taps your rear bumper. And when you excell it feels as if the bottom drops out of the Yukon Denali
  • Options
    jms2011jms2011 Member Posts: 4
    I have found that when i come to a stop sign and not completely stop and go the trans shifts hard alost like a bang to catch up with the car
  • Options
    gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Have you had your transmission looked into already, jms2011?
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    well the truck seem to have a mind of it's own when it is wet out system failures like off and on blinking of the tem and air bag sign on the rear view mirror, raido changes stations and settings , information center changes to different language, winsheld wipers fron and rear going when no one is neer the car, and the latest was no right side head light power . took to dealer and they said it would be a lot of money to chase the problem down so the just ran a line from one side to the other. great a $53000.00 truck that has to be re wired. cant afford to buy another one this was the last one befor retirerment so daose any on else have this problem that could help. i kinda think it's a greoung problem but dont knwo where to start looking. is there a central ground sorce under the dash
  • Options
    nwerle1nwerle1 Member Posts: 1
    GM is a joke

Obama made mistake bailing them out!
  • Options
    bobbyk2bobbyk2 Member Posts: 1
    Me too. Have had the exact same problem with my 2005 Yukon XL Denali. I took it to 5 different GMC dealer when it had under 15,000 miles and was told by the service advisor that it was normal. Paid $56,000 at that time. I've complaint this issue to GMC customer service 4 times and never got solid answers. I've filed a last complaint to GMC right before the warranty expired. At 97,000 miles, trans went out. I took it in to GMC and had to pay 1/3 of the cost and 2/3 were covered from GMC. After 30,000 mile driven on GMC replaced transmission, I now have the same bang problem again. About 3 weeks ago, I took the Yukon to Maxwell GMC Georgetown Texas to get it fix and they claimed 2 of my oxygen sensor were bad which got replaced for $750. As I drove off the lot, same bang again. I took it back to same GMC dealer for further diagnose. With this Yukon Denali, I never got the feeling of brand new car except fot the leather smell. I wish GMC CEO drive my car for a day and get an opinion of the vehicle transmission. It is very disappointing
  • Options
    h2obugsh2obugs Member Posts: 1
    Currently I have 175K mile on my vehicle - I would love to have my daughter use this car for her daily commute, however I am concerned for her safety. Their appear to be issues w/ the AWD of the vehicle and transmissions. My trusted repair guy - says "dump it", I am worried about the transmission going w/ her in the car.

The original transmission went at 35,983 and was replaced under warranty, the next one went at 95K, replaced under extended service contract, went 8K, and another transmission was put in, only to have one more within 30K miles...and this newest one - still slips. :lemon: 3 radiators later (cooling transmission lines, etc) - we requested the repair shop provide us with access to a GM representative (who we had the dealership put us in touch with when the first transmission went). There is no reason we should have 4+ transmissions in the vehicle and 3+ radiators.

For over two years, the tire leaks air when it starts to get cold. Chrome wheels corrode... We discovered on the 2006 there is not an OEM tire available, we had to get one from the dealer ($900), we opted instead to find one via a junk yard. The rim arrived cracked at Costco (FedEx dropped it and it wasn't packaged well from the junk yard). We have had Costco put a bead on it to keep the seal, the repair shop charge us $15 to "fix" it, and now are getting ready to have another repair shop attempt to grind it and fix it for another $50. Curious if there is a place to find a rim that will work, as this has the potential to happen to the other tires. :sick:
  • Options
    craniaccraniac Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a used 2007 GMC Yukon XL a week ago from an individual. Paid about $16k. We are living in Qatar. It has 60k miles on it. Tonight I was driving home and accelerated to pass a truck. There was a "pop" sound and it started shifting roughly, the transmission light came on, and I could hear a loud noise. There is also a loss of power. Since we are the second owner, I'm guessing that there will be no warranty. I was hoping we got one of the "good" GMCs and it only has to last for three years. Ugh.
  • Options
    CarkirkCarkirk Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know why my Yukon Denali 2007 shifts down while
    Driving? Also it bangs first thing when starting out to drive.