Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord High Mileage Success Stories

2»

Comments

• twa727twa727 Member Posts: 22
    I drive a 1993 Accord EX with 189,865 miles to date. I bought it five months ago and have had no trouble since. I have a few things coming up such as the timing belt and new CV boots, but all normal wear things. I am very satisfied with my Accord, she burns not a drop of oil and purrs like a kitten!
  • wadadligyalwadadligyal Member Posts: 1
    I'm lookin at one at a dealership. They're charging $9991 for 103,629 miles. Am I getting a good deal there. I'm a bit of a novice. What kinds of questions should I be asking the dealer? I just know that Hondas are known for their longevity :)
  • catmikecatmike Member Posts: 35
    Okay... you have thrown a pebble upon the "good deal" pond - the ripple woke me up.

Suggestions: (1) go to Consumer Reports and read ALL about buying a used car (2) Find an honest professional mechanic - there are many - but one that work on Hondas. (3) Look at cars being sold by individuals such as your neighbors, fellow workers or students - and non dealer, private party Ads in the newspapers. Beware of Street Wholesalers who are pretending to sell their "sister's" car. You can tell them apart from private parties because their cars are too clean, too polished and you can eat off the engine it's so clean.Also the brake pedals are worn at 28,000 miles (impossible in reality) and the odometer was broken and he has replaced it. Plus they push you. (4) Look at a bunch of cars, pick the best and take it to the mechanic - he'll charge a reasonable fee to check the car out. The seller won't let you take it to a mechanic? You no buy car. (5) Check all the online price books and find out what Kelly Blue book thinks the value is ... check four professional sources. You get a price bracket for the car - that in turn sets up your offering price. And, one last thing (you'll probably have done all this anyway) buy a short term CARFAX subscription. A beautiful, "one owner" car I almost bought had in fact been owned by a rental company, been leased twice and been passed around to three dealerships. CARFAX saved me thousands. Good Luck :)
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Strikes me as a little high. Timing belt is due for replacement,plugs,etc,maybe $1200-1500 in maint. You could get a new civic for not too much more.
    Curious as to thoughts on raising the hood to more quickly dissipate underhood heat. I pop the hood to let the heat escape more quickly when I get home and my car seems "hot". Any one doing this and have an opinion if this is beneficial?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    That would be totally unnecessary. If heat buildup was a concern you'd see instructions in the manual, and vents in the hood.
    Thanks for responding before I bought the Hood Vent kit. Lol. I'm sure you are generally correct.....But all that heat can't be good for some components. I just occasionally pop the hood in summer when I get in from towing my bass boat if the thermo controlled fan is on.
  • bepickbepick Member Posts: 8
    I now have just over 226,000 miles on my v6 2004 Accord. I continue to change the oil every 4 weeks after driving about 4,000 miles. The car is still running fine.

One thing that i've noticed is that using the RainX type of windshield washer fluid really helps when it rains, that i don't have to utilize the wipers nearly as much. The rain just beads off of the windshield.

I would like to find a new driver's side carpet mat that is reasonably priced. Honda would rather sell a set, versus just one mat. Perhaps a junk yard may be the place to find it.

I wanted to top off my coolant recently and compared the various types of coolants available. I found myself walking out of a store recently and seeing someone else adding Prestone to their Honda, for which i suggested there may be harmful silicates and borates in Prestone that could reduce the life of a Honda cooling system and water pump. Thus at that point i knew that i had made the decision to visit the Honda dealer, to buy coolant made specifically for my Accord.

Per the discussion of heat under the hood. When i stop to buy gasoline, i always raise the hood, not just to check fluid levels, yet also to hopefully let some of that heat dissipate. Thus i keep the hood up till i'm ready to drive off.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I now have just over 226,000 miles on my v6 2004 Accord.

Wow! My 03 V6 only has 56k right now. Have you had any problems with the car? How often have you had the transmission fluid changed? It may be a look into my future.
    Elroy5... Looking at the owner's manual, under normal conditions one doesn't change the transmission fluid till 120,000 miles. Yet under severe conditions, one changes the transmission fluid, first at 60,000 miles, then every 30,000 miles. A transmission drain and fill doesn't cost that much, or take much time to do, as compared to what transmission work could cost, thus better to change the fluid according to the severe schedule.

I've had to replace the air conditioning core and also get a new power steering pump. Living in the Southeast where it's mostly hot, one uses the air conditioner year round. I've been driving Honda's since 1986 and getting 200,000 plus miles on each car, yet this is the first one that i had to replace the power steering pump.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Thanks for replying bepick. I change out 3 quarts of transmission fluid every 15k miles. Maybe overkill, but because of the recall, I want to make sure the fluid stays clean, and I don't want to have to do a flush later. I do it myself, so it doesn't cost me more than the 3 quarts of Honda fluid (cheap insurance). Good to hear you haven't had transmission problems. I guess the recall jet kits are working. I've also changed the coolant at 45k miles. I have a hard time believing coolant (or any fluids) are really good for 100k miles or more. I've heard of power steering moans and whines, but haven't heard a peep from mine at this point. How far do you plan to go with this car? Half a million miles maybe?
    Great tip to pop the hood while gassing up. Think I will do it in the summer when I am returning from the lake towing my bass boat and stop for gas. Thanks.
  • ashwinkumar96ashwinkumar96 Member Posts: 21
    Hi,

I purchased the accord EX 4cyl 09 last week and in my first tank, which is about 3/4th empty now, I got a mileage of about 300 miles. 80% interstate. Do you think that the mileage might increase in the near future or is thr a way to tune up to give better mileage?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Since you have no idea what your fuel mileage is thus far, I'd say actually calculate it to see just how good you are getting! :)
  • wreckwreck Member Posts: 4
    I have a 08 EXL 4cyl with , believe it or not 40 K on it since Oct 07.
    99% highway and we get 33-35 mpg. This is figuring it by dividing gal into miles not using the computer on the car. The cars computer is alway 3 less and shows 31 mph. It took about 15 k to break past 28..

Oh never had a single problem
  • srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    Posted this over on the Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair, thought I'd post here too.

A little bit prior to 11/24/2008, 122,566 miles, the check engine light went on in my 2004 Honda Accord EX Sedan Auto w/ Nav. I took it into the dealer and was told it was my Canister Shut valve. I heard mixed stories on what led to it, with one service manager saying that there was nothing I could do to replace it, while another one said that I should have been doing the fuel induction service (something not mentioned in the manual) every 30k miles. The estimate to do this was $410 (including the cost of the oil change - minus the cost of oil though because I brought my own Mobil 1 5w-30 in). However, thankfully I had some random $100 off coupon which had actually expired but they still took it. So my final cost was $319.83 to replace the canister shut valve and oil change.

I wrote a letter to Honda customer care saying I was a bit annoyed with this if it could have been prevented. They called me back and said though the fuel induction service isn't mentioned in the manual, I should listen to what the dealer says specific to my area. Anyone have thoughts on the fuel induction service?

With my car now at 122,566+, I still need to take care of the big ticket items it's due for such as spark plugs, transmission service, and coolant. I'm thinking of emailing the dealers around the area to see if I can get the price low. I have the 120k service in general due, but I'm planning on doing the cabin and air filter myself to soften the blow. Usually, I try to get everything done at firestone since most of the service is just inspections.
    2004 Honda Accord LX v6 now has 254,688 miles... knock on wood, car still runs well... still averaging 30 plus miles to the gallon, with most miles being highway driving... i continue to change the oil and Honda oil filter every 4,000 miles... would recommend changing the cabin air filter every 20,000 miles here in the South, or anyplace where the pollen count runs high... had been changing the engine air filter every 30,000 miles, though may begin changing it every 25,000 miles, for similar reason why i'm changing the cabin air filter more often... i continue to wash the car every week and wax it regularly too, as it helps with gas mileage.

I would like to find out what others use to clean the cloth upholstery and seatbelts... thanks.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    You can clean your seatbelts with mild soap and water. As far as cloth, I use Resolve to clean spots/stains.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I haven't tried everything but I've been very impressed with the Interior Cleaner from Griot's Garage.

I need to use a scrub brush on some stains but this stuff is great.
  • larryinftllarryinftl Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2003 Accord coupe with 119k miles on it so this thread is nice to see. My friend picked it up at auction but I checked it out and the car is in great condition, paid $6,500 hope I got a good deal.
  • samira01samira01 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my accord V6 this will not affect the operation of your car in any way it detects gas leaks, my evaporator can just went bad and I have 306,000miles so you can see that this has nothing to do with any service,(nerver had the service you mentioned)they go at certain intervals as their lifespan is only so long my accord is a 2000. As a matter of fact most of the dealer expensive services you can do without if you know what to look for yourself I have owned 6 honda accords over the past 15 years and all of them went well over 200k usually i get rid of them for a change not because I have to. Ill see if I can take this V6 to 400K.
  • geonerdgeonerd Member Posts: 8
    It can't hurt, particularly if you live in a hot climate. Here in Tucson, I know several folks who raise the hood when possible.
  • nightmancomethnightmancometh Member Posts: 10
    I bought my 1997 accord coupe brand new and it's been the best car for 13+ years! I drive this thing hard and I have it's original clutch! I had 2 major repairs. I replaced the main gasket in 2005 and replaced the radiator a couple of years ago. It drives as it did when I drove it off the lot!
This discussion has been closed.