Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Audio Questions

patpat Member Posts: 10,421
Let's talk about your iPod, MP3 and other audio questions here.

Comments

• kcrossleykcrossley Member Posts: 182
    I'm looking for an iPod adapter that will work with my 2006 Honda Accord EX w/Navigation. Ideally, I'd like to be able to control the iPod through the navigation system's touch screen. I was going to purchase Honda's Music Link, but all of the reviews I've read gave it a poor rating.

I also searched the web and found these adapters:
    neo iOnAux
    Dice Electronics
    USA Spec

Reviews
    Review of iPod Adapters
    Review of Neo iOn

Does anyone have experience with any of these?

Thanks,
    Kelly
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I think this is the correct iCarKits link you were posting: The iPod Adapter(s) that work with your 2006 Honda Accord. It seems the posting software wrecked yours.

(P.S. - using the URL tag under the post box will prevent that problem with longer links.)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,434
    I have the ipod adapter from them in my 2005 Odyssey, and I think it is the same unit for the Accord. In any case, it works great, and lets you control the song from the stereo controls (including on the wheel). It also has a set of RCA jacks so you can also plug in another unit (XM, other MP-3 player). It charges too, and uses the docking port instead of running out of the earphone jack.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Does your Odyssey have a built-in navigation system and are you using that as your interface?
    I've decided to go with this iPod adapter.

USA Spec iPod Adapter

Does anyone have any experience with this? Do you have installation tips that may help me avoid damaging my new Accord?

Thanks,
    Kelly
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Try this auxilliary input connector for non-Navigation 2003-2006 Accords:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/sounsnhond3.html

Try this navigation pass-through "Y" harness for Accords with factory Navigation systems:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piehon03fmm1.html
    Has anyone checked this out? It's a little pricey but I'm told it allows you to control your iPod through Honda's built-in navigation system:

Alpine VehicleHub Pro

Kelly
    Is it me or does the FM reception in the 2006 Accords with navigation suck? I'm told the antenna is built into the rear window, but my experience has been that the reception is just awful. Perhaps that's why they give you 3-months of XM for free. Is there anyway to fix this problem?

Thanks,
    Kelly
    I have excellent FM reception in my 2004 Accord with Navigation. I wouldn't presume that what you perceive as a problem is endemic to all (2006) Accords.

If you think that you have a problem, you should visit your dealer's service department under warranty. You'll probably get better service there if you don't use the word "suck" when speaking with the service advisor.
    Perhaps what you perceive as excellent is not that good. And I'm sorry but based on the reception I'm getting the word suck is in fact appropriate.

The reason I generalized my question is because I've read in other Honda forums that the window embedded antenna doesn't work that well. I know the Accord hybrids come with a traditional antenna, so I don't understand why Honda would use a less-than-effective solution in other Accords.
  • exshomanexshoman Member Posts: 109
    It's not you. I don't have Nav, but the radio reception does suck most of the time. I do live in a rural area that is tough on reception, but every other radio I've had has better reception than this one. My other car has the antenna in the windshield (a 300M), and it gets much better reception.

I suspect that if you live in an urban area with stronger signals, it is fine. It's on the weaker signals that it doesn't seem as good as other radios I've had.
    That's what I find interesting. I live about 25 minutes from Washington DC, which is home to some of the most powerful transmitters in the country. Plus, I'm close enough that I shouldn't have these issues. At first I did think it might be a defect, but after spending some time searching the Internet I find that this issue comes up quite a bit. Quite frankly, I have no desire to pay $9.95/mo. for XM, but I may have to.
  • akamicakamic Member Posts: 8
    I found this website a while back... it has step by step installation instructions, with pictures. I miss my Ipod, but am not yet willing to disassemble my new Accord!

http://www.beaufordbuddy.com/ipod_install_1.htm
    If you're careful, you shouldn't have a problem. BTW, I miss my iPod enough to attempt to disassemble my accord. :-)
  • homerkhomerk Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone out there know if improving the lousy 120-watt stock stereo system on this model is do-able? I mean, the stereo dash AND the factory-installed 6-CD changer are one, and they're both connected to other controls for the car so that if you need to remove it to connect the wires for an amp, for example, it's just not possible (looks like the whole stereo display area is "glued" to the whole front dash, and looks unremovable). Is this true?
    In addition to trying to find an iPod adapter that will interface with my navigation screen, I'm also looking for a way to add an amplifier to my stock stereo. I read that this device will do all of this.

Alpine VehicleHub Pro

Unfortunately, it's very expensive, requires a lot of add on interfaces, and probably should be professionally $$$$ installed.

Kelly
  • exshomanexshoman Member Posts: 109
    Guess we've got the same issue. I live near Frederick, MD - about 30 miles from DC.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Does anybody know if the sound system in the LX-SE will play mp3's that have been burned to a CD?

Thanks.
  • roxonroxon Member Posts: 16
    Wondering if any one has installed the Honda Music Link? Handa dealerships seem to want $400+ to purchase and install this...that is quite a bit for a $160 piece of equipment! Wondering how difficult it is to get to the radio my self...Anyone with some feedback?
    I almost bought The Honda Music Link. I'm glad I didn't. Apparently, all of the reviews say it's awful.

Steve Vigneau Review

Gizmodo Review

Here's what I'm considering instead: USA Spec
  • cliff8cliff8 Member Posts: 1
    the back lighting has gone blank on the radio which is also the heating display and cd display. i have been told that the whole radio needs to be replace. isn't there a light bulb that can be replaced?
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    NO, and I hope that you have a Honda Care Extended Warranty. This is a VERY expensive repair!!!!!!!!!!!! :sick: I had the same problem, but I had the extended warranty. Best regards. ---- Dwayne ;)
    cliff8,

You've not indicated what your model year or mileage are. Is your vehicle still under warranty?
  • dan71dan71 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 EX-V6 with 80,000 miles and my radio lighting went out last week too. My Honda dealer told me the entire unit needs to be replaced at a cost of $780.00 plus tax. I was told there were no remanufactured units available. I would also like to know whether this can be fixed rather than replaced and save a little money. Just another frustration with this car which began when the entire transmission was replaced a month after buying the car new in 12-02.
    You may want to check the following at your dealer's service department:

Make : HONDA Model : ACCORD Year : 2003
    Manufacturer : HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.)
    Service Bulletin Num : 204 Date of Bulletin: FEB 16, 2004
    NHTSA Item Number: 10014250
    Component: EQUIPMENT
    Summary:
    IN VEHICLE ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM DISPLAY PROBLEMS. *NM
    Check to Request Research. Submit below.
    not sure if the root cause is the same, but I had a similar problem with the radio in my '99 Quest. I think it might have been a different kind of light (LED vs. LCD?) but not sure.

Anyway, same deal with $800 from the dealer (+/-). Instead, I took it to a local audio shop that did repair work. For IIRC $100 they fixed it. Turns out that there were some broken connections (welds I gues) on the circuit board. They soldered them up, and it worked fine for the next year+ that I owned it.

Not sure what the problem with the Accord is, but you might be able to go this route. I don't recall hearing of anyone doing it though (on the other Honda dedicated boards) but I haven't checked lately.

Does anyone know if Honda is working on an updated Honda Music Link to replace the crap they introduced last year?
    Is there anyway to improve the Accord with navigation system's radio reception?
  • dan71dan71 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the great tip. I called American Honda and they had me bring the car in to my dealer to confirm the radio's backlight had indeed gone dim. Honda offered to provide me a replacement unit and I pay the labor and sales tax. Compared to the $780.00 plus tax I was looking at last week, I am now smiling. Thank you again.
    Why would I want to improve the fine radio reception in my 2004 Accord with Navigation System? Whoever rides in my car remarks about the great audio.
    Well, actually that question was directed to exshoman and anyone else who is having reception issues. I know that you're not.
  • tanksalottanksalot Member Posts: 1
    Before you spend for the labor, call another dealer!! I had the gas filler cable break AND the radio go blank. Dealer #1 wanted $90 for the radio repair and $130 for the cable repair. Dealer #2 did both FOR FREE!!
  • carslickercarslicker Member Posts: 6
    I havnt tried it but does anyone know off the bat if the Honda Accord 2007 SE, stock indash cd changer plays cdrw?

i'd try it out but have no cdrw on hand.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Very doubtful - I'm unaware of any factory head unit that plays homebrew rewritable discs. (When I've tried what you're inquiring about in my Sonata, the player just spits the disc back out with a "DISC ERROR" message. I'm not entirely certain, but I believe the problem has something to do with a different format lead-in info band that most [all?] automtove head units are incapable of reading properly.) Homebrew single-write discs are another matter if they're bit-for-bit duplicates of the commercial disc they're copied from, though. I've never had problems playing those homebrew discs in any head unit I've tried them in. If you or anyone else finds out/knows otherwise, please post back. I'm considering a new Accord to replace my nearly 4-yr old Sonata.
  • tasaytasay Member Posts: 36
    well copy cd are playable..I have 2006 SE and I play copy cd in it. Don't know about rewriteable cd. Why don't U get a ipod adapter and get an ipod...I am thinking about getting ipod adapter...put tons of songs in there n let it plays....not to bother with cd anymore.
  • louisnlouisn Member Posts: 110
    When I switch from FM to XM w/o changing the volume the volume is much lower on XM and I have to adjust it to much higher volume setting to get the same sound. Is that a problem or the way they all work?
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Sounds like a problem. I don't notice that on mine.
    Is that true with all FM stations and XM channels? Or just specific ones that you frequent?

I've never had that occur.
  • louisnlouisn Member Posts: 110
    It's on all the stations!
    The FM is obviously not as clear but it is much louder.
    Sounds like a warranty repair is due.
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    I was playing with my radio today, and I noticed the same thing as you did. I have to change the volume 2-3 numbers to get the same volume level between XM to FM

Mrbill
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    Does anyone know how to add an mp3 input to the standard CD player? If this is doable, it's definitely easier and cheaper than to replace the whole unit for an mp3 capable CD player. Thanks.
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    I forgot to mention I have an 06 Accord VP.
  • downeaster1959downeaster1959 Member Posts: 7
    I have been looking at ways to connect my iPod to my car stereo. It seems to me that the best way overall may be to simply upgrade the head unit to one that is iPod-ready. One poster on the accessories board mentioned the Alpine 9856. However, the Best Buy website says that it won't fit the Accord. Has anyone else gone this route, and what have you found that fits? Thanks for your help!
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Why don't you just get an aftermarket iPod adapter that plugs into the back of the factory stereo?
    An aftermarket stereo is likely to get stolen eventually and doesn't fit the looks of the car anyway.
    Set up some playlists on the iPod so you don't need to keep messing with it and searching for songs while driving.
  • roxonroxon Member Posts: 16
    I researched this for a while and went the route of the USA SPEC Ipod adapter to the factory radio. There are not any good aftermarket factory face plates for the 06 accord yet. the install was done by my local car stereo shop for $60, after i bought the adapter online for $130. I like it better cause i can still use the ipod to control my music.
  • dwinkdwink Member Posts: 14
    I was looking at the spec sheet last night on Honda's website and am a bit confused on the radio for the ex-v6. Does it come with the "premium" radio with 180 watt or the standard 120 watt. The site says 6mt only for premium. Does that mean just the manual transmission accord. I'm a bit confused. I'm coming from an older Maxima with a Bose stereo system, I know it wont be as good, but I dont want it to be too bad either.
  • downeaster1959downeaster1959 Member Posts: 7
    I decided to start by trying an easier alternative and see how I like it. I bought Monster's iCarPlay, which is an FM transmitter. The sound quality, though not as good as a CD in my deck, is decent. Occasional flurries of static do seep in to the transmisison from time to time. I'm not sure that the sound quality will be good enough to satisfy me, though. Perhaps there are better FM transmitters out there, or maybe this is just a limitation of all FM transmitters.

Other people have said good things about USA SPEC; some recommend Harman Kardon's Drive & Play. I understand that Honda offers a "Honda Music Link", but reviews on that have been mixed. There is an advantage, however, in having something that Honda would install and guarantee. What I'm looking to do is simply to be able to select playlists from my iPod and play them over the car stereo, either as is or in shuffle mode. What would be the best way for me to go if this is all I need? Thanks for your help!
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Many people are not satisfied with all the static and interference with the FM transmitters. If it works well enough for you where you live, then go ahead and use it.
    The Music Link isn't worth the money because the functionality is so poor, so Honda guaranteeing it is no great benefit.
    get the USA Spec unit. I have it in our Odyssey, and it works great. You still control the music through the ipod, but yo ucan also skip songs using the radio buttons (even on the steering wheel).

I usually have it on shuffle mode, so if a song comes on that I don't want to listen, I just flick the chan button and move on to the next one!

It also has extra aux inputs so you can plug another music source (like a protable sat radio unit) into the box and run it through the aux port.

With the ipod, it also connects into the dock port, so it charges as you go, and will automatically stop charging 30 minutes after you shut off the car.

ANd best of all, no more static, and looking for an FM clear signal (not many of those around NYC!)