Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Compass Problems and Solutions

Comments

• aloeseraloeser Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    Just wondering if anyone else is having a problem with there factory antenna mast mounting point being weak and cracking the body piant? Mine started having problems some time ago. The mast mounting point sheet metal needs to be renforced ? If so is Chrysler offering a fix?
    Thanks, Alex :(
  • aloeseraloeser Member Posts: 2
    Hello again,
    Just wonding if anyone else has had a problem with the gas filler neck mounting just behind the filler door? Mine has fallen away from the body panel twice and is on it's way back to the dealer today. Are they not fixing this properly? Or is it a bad design?
    Thanks, Alex :(:(
  • stater09stater09 Member Posts: 4
    I read somewhere that Chrysler has discontinued their "friends and extended family" discount; however, that employees can still help to get the cost down to invoice cost. Can someone explain this to me, or better yet, be the one to help out a college student in getting a new car!

Thanks
  • observer22observer22 Member Posts: 41
    Please check the Jeep Patriot section there is a recent post listing the specific interior improvements for 2009 Compass/Patriot.

The new Chrysler team is supposed to be either improving the Sebring/Avenger or speeding up its replacement.
  • phillykeyhawkphillykeyhawk Member Posts: 1
    Looks like I got a CD stuck in dash player. When I press eject just says wait..twice then it says Err.. Anybody out there with some help???Factory radio REF
  • jeep1717jeep1717 Member Posts: 6
    We actually had two CDs stuck in the player of our Jeep Compass 2007. We used two butter knives to get it out. We put one under the cd and one on top of the cd and then pulled, it took two of us, but it worked. Just make sure you grab it or it goes right back in. Hope that helps. Everything works great now.
    So we went back to good old Tarbox Jeep in North Kingstown RI on Saturday of this past weekend due to LEAKING MAP LIGHTS...AGAIN!! This is the 4th time they have leaked, on top of all the other issues that we have had.

I called Chrysler, as they told me to if we had the issue again. After speaking with someone in India who wanted to tell me I had free road side assistance for 10 minutes, I asked to be escalated to Corporate. The customer service was less than helpful. They said they would put a note and escalate it but I had to bring it in for them to fix it. Now, I am not a mechanic or a design engineer, but I am thinking that if it could be fixed, it would be by now.

So, we drove 120 miles home from New Hamshire to bring the car in on Saturday morning. (I wish I got paid for all the time, gas and energy I had to put into this), I overhear the service manager when he comes in say that "this car is just ONE BIG PROBLEM"...no kidding!! So, they look at the Compass and they can't "recreate" the symptoms by throwing buckets of water on it, but they do see the water in the map lights. The Service Manager tells me that they are not going to attempt to fix it but that he has placed a call to his DM and will call me on Monday. Well, it's Monday and I still haven't heard from him. It's raining again in RI, so we haven't drove it for fear of the waterfall in the car. Oh yah, and I haven't heard from him yet!

If they do not offer to replace it...with a different model of course, then we are going to file a Lemon Law claim.

Just to recap these are the issues we have had:
    Car purchase 2/2007
    Sunroof Seal not properly "sealed" - June 2007
    Leaking Map Lights - February 4, 2008
    Leaking Map Lights - February 13, 2008
    Windshield Wipers replaced - February 2008
    Leaking Map Lights - March 2008
    Cut Rear Washer fluid line (Service caused Issue) - March 08
    Grease Stained Headliner (Service caused Issue) - March 08
    Positive Battery Lead not connected to battery (Service caused Issue) - March 08
    Windshield Wipers replaced - March 08
    Leaking Map Lights - August 2008

You be the judge.
  • chrispyhikerchrispyhiker Member Posts: 1
    I have a 07 and that same problem going up the Auto Road on Mt Washington. My dealer was clueless also.
    If your car is brand new, I would bring it in the required amount of times so that you can claim the Lemon Law. It is a problem that Chrysler/Jeep does not know how to fix.
  • scepter2112scepter2112 Member Posts: 1
    Hi John,
    It looks like I am following in your footsteps. At 16,000 miles I have noticed my first water leak. My jeep is scheduled for service on Tuesday, keep you posted.
    Scepter2112
  • hondajeep95hondajeep95 Member Posts: 3
    I have a '07 Compass Limited with a 6 CD changer and Satellite radio. For some reason it powers off unexpectedly (lose all displays and sound) by itself for 3-5 seconds and then it plays again as expected. This happens despite if I am listening to the CD, radio or satellite. This can happen every 5 minutes or every couple of days. I plan to have the radio exchanged at my Jeep dealership however, I was wondering if anyone else experienced this problem..
    That was the exact mileage that we brought ours in at. Good luck, let me know how it goes. We are still haveing leaks that Jeep can't fix. We just don't drive our brand new, paid in full, 2007 Jeep Compass, when it rains anymore.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    An advertising agency would like to speak with satisfied Jeep Compass drivers. If you own or regularly drive one of these vehicles, please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Friday, October 31st.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• cclewellcclewell Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same issue with my 07 Compass. Just today I have taken the car in for the 5th attempt to fix my leaking sunroof.

In the previous four repair attempts I have had the entire sunroof assembly replaced, the gasket around the glass replaced twice, both the front and rear drains replaced, and had the headliner replaced. A star case has been opened on my vehicle and corporate has been out to look at the problem once. The service manager has indicated to me that basically every thing that could be done has been done.

I have opened a case with Chrysler customer relations and now get past the people in India pretty quick, but I am not getting very far with corporate. Corporate, while being very sympathetic, told me that I needed to take it back to the dealer AGAIN! This after I told them that I no longer believed that the problem could be fixed and I wanted the car replaced.

Anyway, I dropped the car off at the dealer today and sent a certified letter to Chrysler informing them that I want to lemon law the car. I'm not sure what will come of it, but I just can't have a car that can't go out in the rain. I have also talked briefly with a law firm, but figure I will try to go through the arbitration process once myself and see where I get.

I have to say that I take some comfort in the fact that I am not the only one having this problem, no offense. I had been told by my dealer in May of this year that they were unable to find any documentation internal to Chrysler regarding the problem. It seems that some Patriot owners are starting to experience the same problems. Hopefully there are enough people having this problem to cause Chrysler to really try to find the root cause.
  • gmcintgmcint Member Posts: 2
    Well-I guess I can now consider myself among those of you with this problem. I was feeling pretty good-but over the weekend at 14,998 miles, I began to have this problem. Odd thing, was it leaked (from snow, I believe) and then when I washed it to get the snow/salt off-it did not seem to leak, my guess is that this has to get to a certain level before it tries to "get out" the best way it can.

I am off to talk with the dealer today.

Has anyone encountered problems with the ABS or 4 wheel drive component? Whenever the ABS engage or if I try to use the 4WD (have only used it two times in almost 24 months due to this issue) it sounds as though the vehicle is coming apart and the brake pedal shakes violently under your feet. The 4WD issue has been in snow both times and in reality, it makes the vehicle difficult to control.

Thanks for any info.
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    I bought a 2007 Compass Sport 4x4 on April 4,2007 the price was $23,730. We tarded it in on Aug. 31,2007 with a little over 10,000 miles on it. By far this was a HUGE waste of money! The 2.4 L engine was completely gutless, and the CVT was the worst transmission I have ever had in my 45 yeras of driving. The dash was so uneven and big gaps and such cheap plastic junk everywhere! There was no place soft to put your arm. The gas mpg was average was 22 mpg which was horrid. The Compass required a heavy foot to get the darn thing to move, and had no ability to accomodate any item larger than 26" high. The Compass for me was a vehicle that did not meet my expectations, except the Siruis Radio, that has been real nice. I insisted the Pacifica I bought to dump the Compass have that radio. By the the Pacifica AWD Touring gets 24 to 26 mpg consistantly, and a high of 28mpg!

The 2009 Compass has a new dash that is pretty nice, the sound deading is much better, and thy say the engine has had some minor changes. Oh, the sunroof did not leak, as of when we traded it in.

farout
  • fl0werpowerfl0werpower Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I had this exact same problem with my 2008 Compass that I got as a birthday gift just this past June. I took it to the dealership and it was fixed the first time. There are drainage tubes that they had to clean out. However, now I have a new leak problem. When it rains my entire driver's side back floor fills with water. I have looked around the trim of the door and the seal is unharmed. I have felt the vertical part of the floor and it is dry. So, it seems as if the water is coming from the floor. So, what I am thinking is that after "fixing" the tubes they caused the water to re-route through the side frame and that is why nothing else appears to be wet. So, needless to say I am terribly upset because like you I did not buy my Jeep close to home and have to travel over an hour to the dealership for repairs. I must say that although I have wanted this truck for a long time I am starting to get tired of the repairs. I can't even enjoy it.
  • Tink127Tink127 Member Posts: 1
    :lemon: :lemon: Well as bad as I feel for everyone its good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this problem with the Compass. I bought my Compass in July of 2007, I had it in the shop for the first time in regards to the leak June of 2008. At least it made it almost a year without starting to do this right? My service people told me it was because the drain was plugged and that I HAD TO FIX IT?!?!?! They ended up fixing the sunroof and told me everything should be fine. I brought my car back in for the sunroof December 27, 2008 because the map lights were full of water and water was EVERYWHERE! My service department again tells me that I need to check the drain and when you have a car that has a sunroof you have to do maintnance. They had it for the entire day, said they ran the water test on it for over eight hours and the car again showed no sign of leaking, they did however mention that there was a gap in the sunroof and thought thats what caused it. When I picked up my car that evening I spoke with my salesman, he stated that this a KNOWN JEEP ISSUE as they have received information on it from Chrysler it is happening in both the early 2007 compass and patriot models. Monday January 5.... Not even a week later.... IT DOES IT AGAIN!!!! I called my dealership and this time I get "We dont build them, just fix them" and advised that I should call jeep this time. Like some of you I spoke to Roy from India (customer service)and he blew me off told me repetedly he had never heard of this issue and that he was going to escalate this to the district manager... Doubtful. I understand that there is not much that a dealership can do, theyre hands are tied its not like they would be able to recall the car, they have to get the ok from jeep. What I dont understand is how Chrysler can have absolutely no care for their customers, they know about this issue and that it cant be fixed, so why not recall the vehicle? I'm 23 years old I bought this car on my own, I purposly bought the 4x4 limited edition the "top of the line" Compass it cost $32,000.00... This is the worst experience I have ever had with a car.
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    You got seriously screwed paying $32,000 for a Jeep Compass, even if it was a Limited. Wow. I wonder if a hot glue gun somewhere couldn't fix it...
  • gmcintgmcint Member Posts: 2
    Well, less than 30 days after I got my compass back from the dealership-where they had indicated that the sunroof was not installed properly by the factory, and the entire frame needed replaced (and was). I am once again having the problem with the leak. I knew it did not bode well for me when there was so much water in the light yesterday morning that the light switch was frozen and I could not even turn it on/off-but as the day wore on and things thawed out, the water begin to run out of the lights again.

I am now scheduled to take back to the dealer again next Tuesday for a second review-this really does seem like a trend. . .
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    I'm starting to think the lesson here is don't buy a car with a sunroof.
  • nukechasernukechaser Member Posts: 6
    ... irismg doesn't really have anything to contribute to the "Jeep Compass: Problems and Solutions" forum except sarcasm and smart-[non-permissible content removed] remarks about what people paid for their Compass.

But maybe that's just me?

Personally, I'd rather hear about problems and solutions. Oh, gee, what a coincidence! That is what this forum is SUPPOSED to be. Wow, what a concept!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'd rather hear about problems and solutions.

And by the same token, it's probably best not to make another member the topic of conversation. Let's move on. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Agreed. Point taken. Moving on... ;)
  • packadaypackaday Member Posts: 3
    hi i've got a 08 compass with a 5spd and I lost 3rd gear after only 12000km and they had to replace the whole transmission.
    now I have around 21000km and sometimes it will start bucking and the check engine light comes on, almost like an injector problem, so I put in some injector cleaner and it went away. it's been about a month since I did that and the problem has come back wtf?
    any suggestions?.... :(
  • compass07compass07 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I bought my 2007 Jeep Compass sport new in 08...Got a great deal on it $15K auto 4x4...huge rebate at the time of purchase.

I have owned my Jeep for a little over a year now with a little under 40K on it...I drive alot for work. Up till recently I have had no problems at all, untill it started to make a grinding sound at very low speeds when decelerating. I took it to the dealership...replaced the altinator...but it continued to make the same noise. I took it back for a second time the dealership had it for 3 days and the official response was that chrysler knows there is a problem, not sure what is causing the problem but the S.T.A.R team is working on it.

However, even not knowing what the problem is they assure me it is not a safty issue, as you can probably tell I am not a mechanic, but common sence tells me that if they "do not know what the problem is" how can they assure me with any certanty that its not a safty issue.

I am not satisfied with this as an answer...I am not taking them in some mysticall creature its an automobile that they designed and built.

In addition to the grinding sound at low speeds its now making a loud while when accelerating around a corner left...at 2500-3500+rpm...cannot duplicate right.

I would appreciate any advise.

The one thing I am greatful for is I spent the extra money to get a maxium care extended warranty.
  • compassowner27compassowner27 Member Posts: 1
    For those of you with leaking map lights and/or water seeping into the floorboards, have you been able to resolve your issue to date?

I just took my car in to the dealer who diagnosed the problem as being leaves stuck in the drain hose?? Now, I don't know what kind of car engineer would design a car that would leak into the car interior if the drain was clogged, just doesn't make sense to me. But then, I can see why Chrysler is about to go out of business if this is how they work. Since it was not a mechanical problem, the dealer wanted to charge $95 to remove the leaves!! I thought this was ridiculous so I told my husband we'll get a second opinion but the dealer said they removed the leaves anyway when my husband picked up the car. Not a minute after he drove off, the map lights were still leaking and the floor behind the passenger side was still soaked (three days later).

Since I had already read these threads once I saw a problem, I looked at the lemon law which requires that Jeep have an opportunity to fix the problem. I already know it cannot be fixed and my greater concern is there's now permanent water damage to the interior of the car. I have happened to lose a car before to water damage from a flood and I can tell you, once a car has serious water damage, the insurance TOTALS it no matter what because they cannot tell what kind of long term mold and rust will occur on the frame of the car. Not to mention this is SUPER DANGEROUS if you have young kids!

Knowing what I do, I am getting legal consultation on this just in case the manufacturer doesn't comply, but I'm ready to broadcast this issue to anyone and everyone I must to get this rectified so if anyone is in my boat, I would be happy to hear from you. :mad:
    We bought a 07 Compass April 4, 2007 it was a Sport AWD . That junky transmission, and the no power 2.4 along with the cheap hard plastic arm rests and misfitting dash, along with 22 mpg was enough for us! at 9,900 miles we traded this cheap plastic, tim car in on a Chrysler Pacific AWD Touring. We are totally happy with it. It has great power, rides so comfortable, and has quality materials and is the best vehicle we have ever had.

Chrysler should be ashamed of these gutless death traps! Compass is a 4 star crash rating and a rear crash is unacceptable.

DUMP THE COMPASS WHILE YOU STILL CAN, ITS A CHEAP HUNK OF JUNK!!!!!!!!

FAROUT
  • hotdog44hotdog44 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 08 compass with 29,000 miles on it and on Tuesday my 3rd gear started grinding. The transmission guy at the dealership is on vacation until next Thursday. How long did it take for them to replace it? I'm not happy about this. They wonder why the company was going bankrupt??? I don't buy another one.
    It took about a week, but I think it just depends on how busy they are and availability of the parts. They did end up changing the entire transmission and I've put on another 20k since then and it seems to run fine now.
  • tar_pit_relictar_pit_relic Member Posts: 1
    Same problem on my 07 Compass. Same lies about leaves. It has been in three times and still leaks. On a plus note I notice I can keep the leak under control if it rains all night by parking nose down a bit (facing downward on the slight grade of my driveway). If I park nose up lots of water gets in and leaks out of the map lights. Nose down none. This shows us that the side/rear drain tubes are the problem.

It's a pain to have to back into my driveway if rain is expected but it works for now until I can force them to properly repair the problem. Or I give up and silicone the whole mess shut from the inside.
  • whitejeepwhitejeep Member Posts: 5
    To all '07 & '08 Compass owners who had experienced sun roof leaks,

I just posted a msg under "2009 Jeep Compass" discussion title, detailing my 2009 Compass sun roof leak problem! You would think that after 3 years Jeep should have this low tech item problem re-designed/fixed. NO, same damn problem in same damn way! The irony is that I got rid of my Japanese SUV, to buy an American, thinking that I should buy our own country's car with the "Cash for Clunker" incentive, only to have this pain 3 month, < than 2000 miles later !!

Chrysler, please fold up now and don't build a "new" 2010 Compass ever to torture people !
  • fusion419fusion419 Member Posts: 1
    Hello

I purchased a 2007 jeep compass also and after i purchased it low and behold a week later it started making a grinding noise at low speeds in the front end also i noticed that when i would let off the gas it would jerk hard like it was down shifting after about a year and 3 different dealers they finally found out that it was the tranny. being that they had one in stock im thinking that it is a pretty common problem so i hope this helps and maybe you can finally get it fixed because i know how it is
  • tippecanoetippecanoe Member Posts: 2
    I now have 12000 miles on my 2009 Jeep Compass and it just developed a map light leak. I've also had a problem with the fuel gauge registering incorrectly. When the fuel light comes on and I let the indicator go as far past empty as I can, it still has 3+ gallons. The dealership said they had never seen a problem with the fuel tank. Do you know anyone else who has had a gauge problem?
  • whitejeepwhitejeep Member Posts: 5
    Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has your fuel gauge problem. Hopefully I won't have the same problem when my Compass reaches 12000 miles !

Guess what, recently the "Change Oil" light came on and the vehicle is still < 3000 miles! So far I have been ignoring it. Now 2 weeks later the "Low Tire Pressure" icon light also came on. What a shame that we Americans build such a shity car and call it a "Yakee ingenuity" !
    Well I bought our 2007 Jeep Compass April 4, 2007. By August 31, 2007 We had enough of the cheap CVT, mismatched hard plastic, poor fit and finish, gutless 2.4 junky world engine. At 8,400 miles we took a huge loss and bought a Chrysler Pacifica AWD Touring. That was the best choice I have ever made on a vehicle. The Caliber, Compass, and the Partriot are all cheaply made junky vehicles. Already these vehicles are scheduled to be dumped. If Chrysler is to make it it can't be done making these kind of subpar bottom line quality vehicles.

Keep in mind MB designed these vehicles and was making the cheapest vehicle they could.

Best advice is dump your's as fast and as soon as you can! Do not sell it to someone you like!.

farout
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Hasn't Chrysler already dumped the Pacifica?
    Yeah everyone seems to complain about the compass's power. Did you have an auto or manual? I have a manual and I used to have a 4cyl Ranger now that was gutless! The manual tranny compass is far better than my ranger and it was a 5spd as well. My only complaint is the compass's clearance. I've already almost ripped my oil pan off. But I saw a lift kit that gives 5" of clearance and it's only a few hundred bucks.
  • arcstrikerarcstriker Member Posts: 1
    We bought our 2008 Compass in Aug. 2008. At 32K miles (I drive a LOT on the highway) our Jeep was a little over a year old when the 4WD! light came on and then began to studder then the traction control lights came on (ESP and BAS) then the Jeep just stalled, even tho I had almost a full tank of gas, it dropped and said I was on E. The Jeep would start back up, but then stall again. It was towed in, they replaced the sending unit, and changed the ground connector. The NEXT day, the same problem happened again. This time the sending unit was fine, but they "cleaned" the ground connector, and added another one. A week or so later it was back again, this time they replaced the fuel sending unit (again), and replaced the tipm module. The Jeep ran for about a month and the problem started to happen again on the highway, but I kept giving it the gas, and it worked its way out and never happened again. UNTIL today. Its back in the shop, and I'm filing the papers for the lemon law. Other than that problem, I have not had any problems with the Jeep, yes it does suck for power, gas mileage, and so on, but it is a cheap [non-permissible content removed] cross over. what did you expect when you TEST DROVE IT. But for mine... :lemon: and for the record. I would not buy another one, and as much as I LOVED Jeep I won't buy another one.
    :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • alexisonalexison Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I leased a 2007 Jeep Compass in February 2008. Within a month we had to take it in for leaking map lights. We were told that the seals on the sunroof needed fixing. The jeep didn't have any issues all summer. Come November 2008 the map lights were full of water again and leaking. I took it back in and was told that the drains were clogged. The cleaned it out and told me not to park under trees if I could, and that I should park it in a garage. I don't have a garage to park it in. I also live where trees loose their leaves in the winter!! The jeep has now been in for leaking map lights 4 more times. Each time we are told its our fault because there are leaves in the system. I have to kick snow and ice off the drains that are placed behind the tires in the wheel wells!!! We haven't opened up the sunroof in over a year, we act as if it doesn't exist!! We have 1 year left on our lease and can't wait to get rid of this vehicle. Sure it drives nice, but after sliding into a curb when water dumped all over my steering wheel causing my hands to slide off, I am DONE! The stupid thing only has 14897 Kms on it (Canadian) and is 3 years old!
    Unfortunately we don't have a LEMON LAW in my province!
  • tippecanoetippecanoe Member Posts: 2
    Yep, I have the same leak around the map lights. But here's the difference: I don't have any trees around. And it stays in the garage most of the time. I left it parked outside a few days when my son had his car in the garage, and that's when it first started leaking.
    Mine is a 2009 Rallye and has 14,200 miles. I went to the dealer to try to trade it on a 2004 Jeep X with 33K (for my son), and they only wanted to give me $14000 for it and wanted $18K for the Jeep X. They know the Compass is a piece of junk, too! Guess I'm stuck with mine.
  • specvern03specvern03 Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2010
    I have a 2007 Sport Manual transmission and at times when I am driving at a constant speed and I need to speed up, I press the pedal more and it will not respond. I press the pedal a few times (feathering it) and then the vehicle 'chugs' and is fine.

Also, at times (I cannot find a common scenario when it happens) when I go to start the car for the first time after it has set for a bit, the car will not start. I don't get any noise from the starter- no "low battery" turn-over, no warning lights, just nothing at all. I turn the key to the off position and sometimes it takes a few times then it starts. I have taken it to the dealer and left it for a few days, but since there is no CEL recorded they cannot find or duplicate the issue. I am lost.
    :mad:

What's terrible is that I was a service writer for 6+ years and I have no power or pull what-so-ever now that I live in another state. And also because I am a girl, I have had several service writers talk "dumb" to me. (That makes me VERY angry!)

Anyway, adding to the other posts about musty/water smell. I have never had a water leak (that I know of) but living at the beach I always had water drug into my car. I bought a charcoal block (you can find the hangar and closet sections at Walmart). It will "soak-up" the smell and the moisture. I just put tin the rear cup-holder and it worked great.
  • oicu812meganoicu812megan Member Posts: 1
    2007 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M) Raylle

Review

I thought I was making a decent investment it had 309 mi and was brand new. It's a jeep right? At 13,000 miles I had a worn set of tires that cost me $800 to replace. The warranty didn't cover the alignment problem I had. By 20,000 miles I had broken seat moldings on both sides of the vehicle. I also had an Airbag light blinking. The dealership fixed and within 2 weeks it came on again. My seat moldings are not covered by warranty due to "Natural wear and tear" on the jeep. :mad: Another set of tires at 24,000 miles. I am at 38,000 miles my warranty is over 3,000 miles and my transmission is going out. The dealership that sold me the car said it is a $6000 problem and my tires are worn again. :lemon:

I have tried to trade in the Compass twice now. My credit isn't great and I owe $15,000 still after 2 years. My compass only has 39,087 miles and I am upside down the dealers only want to give me $8000 for the Jeep. :lemon:

Favorite Features

It is awesome in the snow when my tires are good. Great to maneuver. Fun to drive and good looking vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Take it off the market or re haul the style. Jeep has better quality products then this. My brakes do not hold when parked on hills. :cry:
  • loniacloniac Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2007 Jeep Compass in Dec 07. Everything was going pretty well until last summer. I currently have around 65000 miles on it (I drive a lot!). Last summer I was parked outside for a couple days, and when I got in to drive, I was pelted with water coming from the map lights. It had been raining for a couple days. My entire floor was also wet. After that, I always made sure I was in the garage. Doesn't matter though. Car still leaks if it's raining and I am outside. Gonna have to take it in to the dealer I guess.

Also already had to replace the tie rods last summer. For a two year old car (at this point), this seems a little ridiculous. My wheels were so loose, it almost felt like they were going to fall off.

And currently, I hear a "whirring" noise when I drive. It almost sounds like a helicopter. I have no idea what is causing this, and no one else seems to know either.

I was really excited when I bought this car, as it had a lot of the features I was looking for. I was hoping to keep this car for a number of years. Now I just can't wait to get rid of it. What a waste. I expected a lot more from Jeep.
    There is, indeed, a great deal of complaints here that tend to lead one to believe that everyone expects their sunroof to be as watertight as a submarine hatch. This just isn't the case. Most sunroofs, regardless of manufacturer, allow some water to sneak by.

Why? We're dealing with a hole in a metal roof that expands and contracts with temperature, and we're using a compression seal that isn't pressed very hard into that hole.

That being said, there are two very important things to know and check if water is ending up in your map light. First, travel-limit of the glass in the closed position needs to be optimized. When we push the "close sunroof" button, there is a limit that tells the motor to stop. If it doesn't go far enough or too far, the seal isn't able to stop most of the water. Secondly, the the small amount of water that does get past the seal must have a drain path. If your drains that lead down through the windshield frame pillars are clogged, the water pools where it can. Where is the lowest point near the sunroof? Yup, the map light.

If you go back through the archives here, you'll read how some folks didn't have a problem if they parked a particular way. This is because they parked with the Compass tilted with the "working" drain on the downhill side.

Next time it rains, park your Compass level, slide the opaque sun screen open, and bring a flashlight and an umbrella. Point your flashlight into the sunroof tracked area and watch how some water drips right past the seal. You should see some drips, but not a constant, steady flow.

Once you determine which side allows the most "drip-by", open the sunroof, stick your umbrella up through it, open your umbrella and look with your flashlight where that "drip-by" was going. It should be heading towards the drains running along the sides of the windshield. If they are clogged, you'll need to clear them out, either with compressed air or have them "snaked" with something to clear the blockage.

Remember, travel limit and drains. These are what need to be checked and you stand a good chance of eliminating that "wet map light" problem.

For the record, I bought an '07 Compass in Sept. '06. I have over 81k miles on it. I had a slight "wet map light" issue (until I figured out the issue) and I also had a "whirring noise" which turned out to be a failed alternator bearing. Overall, I am happy with my Compass.
  • maryoregonmaryoregon Member Posts: 1
    I just hit 25,000 miles with my '09 Jeep Compass only to have my map lights start leaking last week. Fortunately for me I called my local Jeep dealership who told me exactly how to unplug the drains myself (unless I wanted to pay them $100+ for the service). I am proud to report that I have fixed the leak (living in Portland OR and parking outside all day is a great test for my handiwork!). Here's all you need to do: open up your sunroof, put a small step stool or ladder next to the drivers' side door, grab a flashlight and a large pitcher of very hot water and climb up. There is a drain hole in each corner side of the front opening of the sunroof (flashlight helps locate them). I slowly poured the hot water and it immediately drained thru my left side drain (I parked in the garage and heard it hitting/dripping onto the floor) but my right side drain just pooled the water. It very slowly drained so I waited about 30 minutes and got a 2nd pitcher of very hot water and climbed back up. The water still didn't sail thru the right drain but I was patient and eventually the pitcher of hot water worked its way up to a fast drain. It's been pouring rain again this week and knock wood my map lights have not leaked since. I plan on doing my hot water clean-out every few months to avoid any future clogs. After I backed my Jeep out of the garage I inspected the pools of water on the floor and it was obviously very gritty/sooty so these drains must be prone to collecting crud. I thought I'd post this to save others from the money & hassle of going to the dealership. Thanks to the helpful guy at NW Jeep!
  • dick50dick50 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    I have a 2008 Compass Sport 4X4 with 2.4 engine and CVT. When I start out in the morning, it won't accelerate, just goes very slow for several hundred feet. If I push the accelerator hard, it sometimes jumps ahead when the fuel feed catches. This is a potentially dangerous situation that the dealer cannot diplicate. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks!
  • bridgetmazeratbridgetmazerat Member Posts: 1
    Help Please!! I am having the same issue and the dealership is not helping me. My warranty has just expired after they supposedly fixed the problem. 2 weeks later now it is worse than before! If you could please let me know how you resolved your issue I will greatly appreciate it!
    Thanks!!
    Bridget
  • marinemom1marinemom1 Member Posts: 1
    I am having this exact same problem. When I took it to the shop they were telling me that it was a sensor in the tire which I did not believe. Now, a week later, I still do not have my car and they are telling me it will be another week before they can even look at it. I have a 10-year, 100,000 mile warranty. Is this problem covered under the warranty?
  • jorgemxjorgemx Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    I have a similar issue. I live in Mexico City (2000 Kilometers above the sea level) and I have no problem at all, but when I get to the beach, the problem appears, when I try to accelerate to pass another car the accelerator pedal does not respond, and the engine losses power. I need to depress the accelerator pedal to try to get a response again. This may become a safety issue in an emergency situation. Does any one has an idea of what this problem might be? Something similar to the problem in accelarators in some Toyota models?