Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 Keyless Entry

tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
edited January 2018 in Mazda
Discuss keyless entry issue here!

Comments

• 1stmazda1stmazda Member Posts: 17
    ok - try this...
    keyless fob in my pocket.....I walk up to my cx7 - push the button on the drivers handle once - get in and close the door.

My wife walks up to the passenger door (with her fob in her purse). I hit the unlock button on the drivers door panel (inside the car). The door does not unlock. I then reach over and physically flip the lock botton on the passenger door. The door still does not unlock.

I pull the handle on the passenger door to open the door.... and the alarm goes off!

I think since we were both in proximity to the doors... the car thought I was not inside since her key was still outside the vehicle... and when I attempted to open the doors from inside it thought there was an intrusion.

weird! The horn is really loud though ! :)
  • wjbushsrwjbushsr Member Posts: 135
    It's happened to me... sort of...

I'm guessing you maybe had the fob in your wallet, and if you sat down with your wallet in your back pocket, something {your butt} hit the lock button on the fob, this locks the doors and arms the alarm. When you hit the switch on the passenger's door, you triggered the alarm.

At least that's what happened to me! :P

Now I drive with my wallet out of my pocket, which is beter on the back anyway! :shades:
  • astegmanastegman Member Posts: 171
    I'm wondering if I shouldn't have the auto lock thing de-activated when I pick up my car. I still can't figure out how it works (from reading the posts; I don't have the car yet) and it seems to be more troublesome than beneficial. Is everyone struggling with it?

My car should be in any day now - it made it across the sea from Japan, and has arrived in Port Newark (NJ). Just waiting for it to go through all the red tape/customs/security, and make its way to the dealer.
  • honakerhonaker Member Posts: 74
    Personally, I love the autolock.

When you get out of the car and close the door, it chirps once to let you know it's activated. Then when you walk away from the car (maybe 6 feet or so?), it'll chirp again and lock all the doors.

To get in the car, you leave the sensor in your pocket, walk up to the driver or passenger doors, or the liftgate, and press a little button on the handle. The driver button unlocks the driver door with one press, and all the doors with two. The passenger and liftgate buttons both unlock all the doors with one press.

BTW, autolock is not enabled by default. If you want to have it turned on, you should let them know so they can do it as part of prep. The car has to be hooked up to a computer, so it's not something you can do yourself at home.
    Thanks for that tip about the autolock not being enabled - this way, I can think about it and when I finally get the call that the car has arrived (any minute now.... :surprise: ), I can make my decision. Thanks!
    No problems really... you just have to get used to something new. I like it! It helps when your hands are full, and if you forget to lock the car, it does it for you!

It's a feature that has more positive posts than negative! And most people on the site that have it, won't go back! ;)
    I had the auto lock activated today, while the car was in for the check engine light (2nd time, but whatever).

My question is: once you turn off the car and get out and shut your door, how long should it normally take for the car to lock itself? The technician came outside with me to demonstrate it, and it took well over a minute, maybe two, after I'd turned the car off, gotten out, closed the door, and walked away. Is that normal? Seemed like a long time. :confuse:
    When you exit and the last door closes, it should chirp once to tell you it's now waiting for you to walk away. Then when the key thingy moves out of range, it'll chirp again to let you know it's locked.

You have time to close the drivers door, then walk around the back and open the gate to get your groceries, if you want.

If you close the door and walk away, the doors will lock when your're maybe 7 ft away or so.

I happen to love the autolock, and never thought I would. :)
    Since activating the autolock on Friday, I've found that it's only working sporadically. Sometimes it locks....sometimes it doesn't. At first, I thought it might be my cell phone, but a couple of times I didn't have the phone with me, and the autolock did not engage. Another time, I thought perhaps my electric garage door opener was interfering, but then later in the day, the autolock did work inside the garage. I'm confused...it's so random. When it works, it's terrific, but when it doesn't, then I'm back to digging my keys out to manually lock the car. I don't want to make another service appointment because my service department is not open on Saturdays, and I can't miss time off work for a minor problem such as this. Oh well! :confuse:
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    I occasionally have the same problem and can never be sure why it works or doesn't work.

Here's an extract from the owners manual:

Because the advanced key uses low-intensity radio waves, it may not function correctly under the following conditions:
    - The advanced key is carried with communication devices such as cellular phones.
    - The advanced key contacts or is covered by a metal object.
    - The advanced key is near electronic devices such as personal computers.
    - Non-Mazda genuine electronic equipment is installed in the vehicle.
    - There is equipment which discharges radio waves near the vehicle.
    - If the vehicle is near equipment such as wireless pay devices installed at certain gas stations.

I'm guessing that #2, The advanced key contacts or is covered by a metal object may be the culprit? Your advanced key is attached to a keychain, which also includes other keys (all metal), little transponders, such as Exxon's Speedpass, and other assorted items. Toss it in your purse or pocket. In the pocket, all those keys are in contact with the advanced key.

Guess the only way to eliminate the hypothetical situation is to detach the advance key from the rest of the key chain and carry it separately in your other pocket. Also, keep it away from the cell phone. If the autolock works reliably all the time, then that's the answer. If not, go back to square one.

Regardless, I think Mazda engineers need to go back to the drawing board and design a security system where those other "factors" don't influence the advance key.

Vince.
    Thank you, Vince! You always have the best answers - I feel like sometimes you're my personal CX-7 help desk!!

I do have my housekey attatched to the black thingy, as well as a sentimental metal emblem from my alma mater (Univ. of Michigan) - maybe they are interfering?? Still, it did work about 85% of the time over the weekend with those objects attached, so who knows.

I also just realized that maybe our electric dog fencing is interfering, too...

Your last point is totally correct - Mazda needs to figure out a system that works regardless of what other outside influences it might encounter.

Thanks again! :)
    I keep my black thingy in the same pocket with keys. They're not attached, but they're all jangling in there together. The cellphone is in a different pocket, so it never touches.

I've found that the autolock works most, but not all, of the time for me. I think it takes a half a second or a second after you close to the door to sense the keycard thing, so that it will know when it moves out of range. My theory is that on those occasions when it hasn't worked, I was zipping around too quickly, and I was already out of range by the time it tried to find the keycard in my pocket.

Keep in mind if you have a passenger, and you close your door first and walk away, and you're out of range by the time they close their door, I think you'll get the same behaviour.

I don't have a garage door opener or electric fence or anything else to cause interference.
  • 1stmazda1stmazda Member Posts: 17
    I get the same problem every once and a while - but instead of going and diggng out my keys - I find it easier to walk back to the door....open it, and close it - and that's always done it for me.
  • buster14buster14 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Lets hope someone can help with out me returning the car to service.
    My clock is off by 2 hours. According to the manual there is no adjustment if you have the nav system.
    There is nothing in the nav system to correct it but all other functions work. How do I set or get it to set the proper time?
    You're in the wrong forum...this forum discusses keyless entry.

The minutes function in your nav system is adjusted automatically by its reading of the GPS satellites.

For the hours, I know I've set the clock before - I don't have the NAV system in front of me, while typing this response, but if I recall correctly, you can adjust the hours. It's either in the user settings (my memory is faulty here, so you'll have to scroll through those menus) or it's in the initial setup screen (the place where you make adjustments if you change tires).

Vince.
    Here's a link to the answer.

honaker, "New CX-7 Owners - Give us your report" #6, 9 Jun 2006 1:18 pm!keywords=allin%3Amsgtext%20limit%3AMazda%3ACX-7%20clock
    Guess my memory wasn't THAT foggy! :P
  • spinzspinz Member Posts: 8
    Hi,
    I'm just checking if the CX-7 have the Advanced Keyless Entry & Start System that allows you to start the engine without putting the key in the ignition?
    Only available with the Technology Package. You keep the advanced key in your pocket/purse. The ignition switch has a knob installed over it, so all you have to do is twist the knob.

Vince.
  • ozzy24ozzy24 Member Posts: 3
    Hi! im recently doing my homework in purchasing a cx 7, does anybody think that a fwd/sport model/ w/ tech package, preferred package/ fog lights/ frontback splashguards and all weather floormats is worth for the price of $29450??? I am a 20 yr old first time buyer and i got a down payment of 15k rdy
  • ozzy24ozzy24 Member Posts: 3
    hi just wondering if a fwd/sport model/ tech/preferred package/ splash guards/ fog lights is worth $29,450?>??
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    No reason to post the same question 3 times... Price it on Edmunds.com and it will tell you the "True Market Value" with consideration of your local market, color choice, etc. Get that number, and you can still probably negotiate down from there.

$15K is an outstanding down payment. Good luck.

-c92
  • buckeyedanbuckeyedan Member Posts: 7
    I stopped by my Mazda dealer and asked about having the auto lock turned on (I have had my CX-7 for a couple of weeks) and the guy in the service department said they charge $49.95 to turn it on because they have to hook the car up to a computer and the hourly rate that the techs get, etc, etc.! I think this is crazy to have to pay to have an option that comes with the car activated. Anyone else experience the same thing?
    Autolock is not activated by default. It's shipped from the factory in the "off" position. This is something that shouldn've been discussed when you first picked up the car. If the option was never discussed (i.e. they neglected to tell you about it), then that might be grounds for you to go back and argue a case.

On the other hand, if they discussed it with you and you declined to have it activated at that point, then it seems reasonable that they charge a fee two weeks later.

In my case, I advance ordered the car and specified the autolock was to be enabled before I picked it up. The vehicle gets prepped for delivery and hooked up to the computer was necessary. If I had activated after-the-fact, I wouldn've been charged for the service.

Vince.
  • cxrabbitcxrabbit Member Posts: 134
    Not sure if I think it's reasonable or not honestly. You might consider waiting until you go in for an oil change or some other service and ask them to do it while they're already working on the car - they may be more willing not to charge you extra for it.

In my case the tech seemed excited to turn it on for me and did so while they were looking into a problem for me (and I got charge nothing for either).
  • buckeyedanbuckeyedan Member Posts: 7
    It was not discussed prior to delivery so when I take the car in for an oil change or for the check engine light that just started off and on a day or so ago, hopefully they will activate it for free.
    There is absolutely no reason in the world you should pay for that!
    The autolock function is a FEATURE that comes with the car, not an accessory you buy after the fact.
    This might be the biggest flag that you can get to show this may be a shady operation... If they'll charge for something like this, can you imagine what they'll hit you up for a "courtesy check" when you get your oil changed?

Find another dealership... Mine was turned on when I stopped in at a Mazda dealer for a Q&A on the iPod situation. No cost at all...
    To echo everyone else, no, DON'T pay to have the auto lock activated!! When I picked up my car, they never mentioned it (an oversight, everything else went just fine). About 2 weeks later, the CEL came on, so when I brought it in, I mentioned the auto lock and they did it on the spot, no charge, no questions asked.
  • defreitasmdefreitasm Member Posts: 152
    My salesman promised to get it done when I bring it back for service since they didn't have a lot of time to look into how to do it before I picked it up. They are a fairly new dealership. I wish the feature was user programable like most of the features in my VW so that you could try it out. I assume I will like the function but you never know.

Does it auto-unlock as well?
    Nope, you gotta push the request button on the door handle or the press unlock button on the advanced key. The important thing to remember is that the key has to be in close proximity to the car, for the request button to work. If the advanced key is physically several feet from the car, an intruder can't get in and neither can you, if you don't have the key in your possession.

Vince.
  • lockedoutlockedout Member Posts: 1
    I'm glad they turned it off. I have a mazda 5 and we started it this morning to warm it up and the darn think locked it self with the keys in it. Now I have to call the locksmith because it IGNORES the 2nd keyfob when it does this. Needless to say I'm very upset as I didn't know it did that. From now On ill make sure to leave the door open when its running.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    If you have the second keyfob in hand, can you not use the key to unlock the door?

I think I've heard this before in a BlondeStar commercial.
  • nmknmk Member Posts: 111
    I open the door. Sit in the drivers seat with the key in my pocket.
    Try to start by turning the ignition knob. "Key" light flashes on the dashboard. Ignition knob will not turn. Cannot turn wheel, or use the shift lever. :mad:

Take out key, press "unlock" icon, turn on ignition knob, car starts.

Any clue as to why this occurred? I think that this has happened before, but was too busy to notice/remember.
    Has this happened to anyone else? :confuse:
    make sure you don't have a cell phone or loose pocket change in direct contact with the advance key. Either item can interfere with the signal.

Vince.
    If it was in your back pocket in your wallet; you may have been sitting with a button or two pushed and that would cancel the signal...

I've learned not to leave my wallet in the back pocket because of this same thing... I now leave it on the front passenger seat, or on the console under the Navigation.
  • nmknmk Member Posts: 111
    Hmmmm! Thanks for all the suggestions. :)
    However, no Ipod (I'm a Luddite), no wallet (I have no money) :cry:
    Perhaps it was the loose change, if it happens again I will take care to take note.
    I accidently sent my husband's key through the laundry yesterday...and it still works!! Go figure!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I had no idea they were hermetically sealed but it's good to know!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Now, if they're really indestructable, you need to coat one with peanut butter and give it to your dog. If it survives intact, then I'm REALLY impressed! :P

Vince.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Well, if one is inclined to do that, it's nice to know it can be run through the washing machine when it is, um, retrieved. ;)

Please don't anyone do this to a poor, little doggie!! :cry::) :P
  • slippertslippert Member Posts: 13
    I recently heard that if your key fob and cell phone come in close proximinty and a call comes to your cell phone, your key fob will be rendered useless forever. Any truth to that? :(
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Possibly! Check out this article.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rbmotoxrbmotox Member Posts: 6
    I picked up my new CX7 today. My dealership is very helpful but NO ONE has any idea of exactly where the smartcard goes. Their suggestion was to leave the smartcard in the car and use the fob. The car remote started, locked, and unlocked with my fob a couple of times so I figured the same smartcard should work with my wifes fob also. Her fob locked the car but wouldn't unlock it. Of course I left my fob and her smartcard at home so we had to get someone to take us home to get the key. Is the smartcard supposed to be left in the car? Is each card specific to each fob even though they are for one car? Thank You! RB.
    I'm amazed no one at the dealer knew this; The Smartcard stays on your person, never in the car unless you have it your wallet or in her purse. :confuse:

The manual states that if you try to drive with the card not being recognized there could be some problems with the system. A couple of us on the board have noticed that if you have it in your wallet, be sure to not sit on it while driving, it tends to have a button or two pushed and won't be recognized, also if you take the wife on a trip, be sure to remind her if she leaves the purse in the car to remove HER remote, or the car won't lock and the chime will tell you to go and get it!

One more tip; if you go outside and it's blistering hot {ala Texas heat} push and hold the unlock button on your remote, this will lower your front windows and moon roof if so equipped! ;)

Good luck! :shades: and ZOOOOOM ZOOOOOM!!!
    Thank you for the quick response. I was surprised too. My CX7 was the first the dealership had sold with the remote start. It was like all of the town idiots (me included) had got together to make it work but no one knew exactly where the keycard went. Thanks again!
    P.S. My wife just called from work and says she LOVES her new CX. She traded her 2003 Corvette for it and couldn't be happier. RB. :)
    :confuse: Man I feel bad for having to keep asking about this. I have the remote system owner's manual. As I understand it all I have to do is press the single button (fob) transmitter twice and the car should start in 5 seconds. I have the smartcard in my coat pocket. So far I've been able to get the car to start once from about 15 feet away but it only ran for a few seconds then shut off. Other times it has started after pressing the single button (fob) transmitter twice but only if I was in the car. Usually after pressing the fob from a distance I hear the fuel pump working and the headlights and dash lights flash for a second or two. Then nothing for a few seconds. Then the fuel pump and lights etc. This will go on indefinitely until I push the rubber button on the door handle to open the car. When I get in the car will start on it's own, sometimes. I'm missing an important step somewhere but I can't find it in the remote start manual or the owners manual. I also enabled and disabled the valet setting to see if that function worked. It did.
    I just tried it again. I pressed the transmitter twice from about 10 feet away. Waited 10 seconds at a distance. Walked up, pushed the rubber button on the door handle to unlock the door. Engine started as soon as I got in the car. Thank you in advance for any help you can give. RB.
    I'm wondering if there is a conflict between the programs for the Tech Package and the remote start... I have the Tech Pack, but not the Remote Start and I've seen others with one or the other, but I'm sure you're not the only one with both features.
    My guess is that there is a glitch in your system, if you have another Mazda house in your area, I'd say give them a call, maybe someone else has come across this problem... What's the point of having remote start if your Techie won't cooperate? :confuse:
    Thank you for the suggestions. I'm going to call the dealer where I bought the CX and get some other dealers phone numbers. The car actually was transferred from a dealership about 75 miles from here. Maybe they know how to make it work. Other than the remote start, the CX is very cool. It seems very well thought out and user friendly. The Tech package couldn't be easier to figure out. Thanks again for your suggestions. ZOOOOOOM! ZOOOOOOM! :)
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    It sounds like the installation wasn't done correctly. Take it back to any dealer and they should be able to get it worked out.
  • tbear1130tbear1130 Member Posts: 7
    This may sound silly, but after the last door is closed walk away slowly. I have found that sometimes if you walk away too quickly it doesn't work. I used to have the same problem until I figured this out. I have not had it fail since.