Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Navigation System Questions

Comments

• navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    The system should only offer route guidance on maintained roads as determined by NAVTEQ and TeleAtlas. I am not clear how any road would be listed for route guidance with a gate and lock. I believe there maybe an issue with that route you described. Thankfully, this can be reported to Toyota but I would check on a current map disc to confirm if it has been resolved.

As mentioned earlier the system will route on the fastest route - freeways, then expressways, surface and finally residential streets. It is a known issue for any navigation system (OEM or aftermarket) to have an issue with route guidance when the suggested route deviates from what drivers call "the best route."

Until navigation systems can learn "the best route" to the house, office, or any other frequently travelled destination, the navigation system will never, ever, live up to the users expectations.

Furthermore, if you asked 10 people to give directions from one location to another, I guarantee you will get at least 5 suggested routes. Which one is best? That is a matter of personal preference.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Until navigation systems can learn "the best route" to the house, office, or any other frequently travelled destination, the navigation system will never, ever, live up to the users expectations.

That does make sense. I take several different ways just for a change of scenery. I do know the fastest route and was expecting the NAV to figure it out. It shows the easy route and the one we usually give people for the sake of simplicity.

maps.live.com also shows dirt roads in their routing program, including the one that our NAV sent us on. The dirt road is between Alpine, CA and Jamul, CA called NF-SD01 which then becomes Sloane Canyon Road, then Beaver Hollow Road. I will try to give you the URL to this satellite view. Fortunately it was gated less than a mile up the dirt road. Use the "Bird's Eye View" to see the actual roads.

Maps live
  • plknjplknj Member Posts: 121
    I am no expert on GPS systems but have owned two Garmin's... one of which I gave to my son. Both of these units have been great... though, infrequently it takes me down a route that I am not thrilled with. But someone early on once told me that there will be times one has to go the way they think is best.

If the GPS in the TCH was anything close to being as accurate as the Garmin, I would not be driving with the Nuvi on my dash board.
    Not to bash portables navigation devices (PND)... I have used a Garmin Nuvi and own the Pioneer AVIC-S1, but they are now known to cause your car to be a BMW... or "break my window."

According to AAA's magazine thieves are targeting cars with the suction cup marks on the windshield! I can remember in the late 80s when radar detectors use to make your car a BMW. Same scenario... different device.
  • stoneybrokestoneybroke Member Posts: 83
    I use a garmin Nuvi 660 on my 05 Tundra. IMO it is a much better system then the factory system on our 06 Highlander. I use the beanbag mount, so no suction cup mark. Mount and nav drop right into my center consol when parked.
    I am glad to see I am not the only one that thinks Toyota NAVs are poor quality. If they were just standard equipment like an AM/FM radio it would not be a big deal. They are a $1650 option. For that much money you should get state of the art electronics. Not 5 year old technology.

As was pointed out, Non OEM electronics attract criminals. That is the main reason I go for top of the line OEM electronics. Toyota is behind the industry. They do not matchup to GM electronics. The Bose system in my 05 GMC was superior to the JBL in this Sequoia. I know I am whining. I am putting down all my complaints on a list to present to the service manager on our first service. It is quite long already.
    I feel like an idiot saying I'm jealous of the Microsoft system in the new Ford's.... AUGHHHHH!!!!!
  • jgougerjgouger Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2008 TCH with the nav option, and there are quite a few grievances with the GPS system. Yes, the address matching is terrible. My car has the 07.01 edition, and houses that have existed 30+ years do not exist on the address lookup!

One piece of advice that I can offer people, is that if you live in an area that changes frequently, good luck finding it on the GPS. For any of you that drive through Houston, you'll know just how much construction is happening on the Katy Freeway right now. I drove back to Austin yesterday and the nav system was freaking out because it thought that I was driving on Old Katy Road the entire time instead of IH-10! A lot of that may be fixed with the 2008 update, but that won't be out for a while. Here is what I think is the problem with the Nav System. The maps that are on the system are at least a year behind. So for example, the 2007 map was probably current as of the beginning of 2006.

Google and Mapquest are really missing on an enormous market by not making their own GPS systems. (Google, are you listening??!!?!?) It would seem like with all of the technology we have today that they could make an Internet based GPS system for cars using Google map data. That way we wouldn't need to pay $300 everytime toyota releases a map update.
  • stoneybrokestoneybroke Member Posts: 83
    I believe Garmin charges $75 for a map update and software updates are free. Garmin issues new maps at 15-16 month intervals. I drove the Highlander today to a Doctor's office in State College PA. Had the Garmin on top of the dash and OEM unit running also. The Garmin worked flawlessly. The OEM unit would not accept the Doctor's address. He has been there at least seven years. When we arrived I marked the waypoint in the OEM. It came up with a street name I've never heard. Nobody in the doc's office had ever heard of it either. My Tundra and the Highlander are bulletproof, but the Toyota nav is a POS.
    My Tundra and the Highlander are bulletproof, but the Toyota nav is a POS.

I am glad to hear I am not alone in this quest to get Toyota NAVs up to date. Toyota really needs to do some research and put out TSBs for at least the vehicles they have sold still under warranty. I know I am not going to let it slide.
    Every major hardware supplier leases the mapping information from either NAVTEQ or TeleAtlas. Period. While Goole Maps or Google Earth use both NAVTEQ and TeleAtlas, Mapquest.com leases only NAVTEQ data. It shows you at the bottom of the page when you search for an address. Google Earth uses other data suppliers for the overhead images only as does Microsoft Live.

Like Google Earth, Toyota DVD map disc utilize both NAVTEQ and TeleAtlas for mapping information and InfoUSA for the POI data. It is printed right on the DVD map disc in your car.

Lastly, the updates are released every year from Toyota for $250 MSRP.

FYI - Mapquest.com is owned by AOL.
  • automeautome Member Posts: 1
    What will take to get copy of 5.1 toyota nav from you?
  • annapolis_seannapolis_se Member Posts: 7
    this is the 5.1 loading.KWI file not the entire disk
    http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=255527

click on Proceed to file download page

Then click download file. You may have to look for the button thru all the adds but it is there.
  • directionlessdirectionless Member Posts: 1
    Got my 2008 TCH last November (2007). The car is great, the NAV/Bluetooth systems suffer from poorly written manuals (programmers are notorious for their inability to put themselves in the place of "the-man-in-the-street" when it comes to writing user manuals)! After much trial and error, I found the following ways to get the systems to work:

NAV (data version 07.1).

To register your home:
    Push MENU > touch MY PLACES > touch REGISTER (of home) . search your home by ADDRESS, select CITY > OK, then, select STREET > OK - touch LISTS: scroll list of streetnames (UP or DOWN) using SINGLE arrow! Using double arrow slows things up, since they scroll by 10's.
    After street has been found, touch OK, street will show with range of streetnumbers. Also, "memory Point" screen is displayed (the circle with crosshairs in center and eight (8) directional arrows) somewhere along the street..

Move crosshairs using specific arrows along street to where you think the number might be and click ENTER.
    If number still off, touch REVERSE button ("U" on its side!) and start over again with directional arrows and ENTER until correct number is obtained.

Then, click ROUTE PREFERENCE and choose your favorite > OK
    Looking at the map, you will find the other "bells and whistles", such as ICON, to show various icons at specific points (usually EXITS).

In the same manner, one can - before embarking on a trip - choose DESTINATION.
    I found the map system to be very accurate and helpful! It even shows in near pictorial fashion which lane to enter and which lanes to follow.
    Much to my relief and contrary to my first attempts, my house DOES exist!

Bliuetooth:

The bluetooth system becomes clearer when one first finds out if one's cellphone will TRANSFER the contact list via bluetooth to the hands-off device (your car!). This can be found on http://www.Toyota.Letstalk.com. My cellphone did NOT, and so I was forced to laboriously enter all my contacts in the PHONEBOOK!

It appears that AFTER pushing the off-hook button on the steeringwheel one can then push the TALK-switch on the other spoke and proceed as directed in a hands-free fashion.

Good Luck, everyone who has had troubles with these systems!
  • nuphannuphan Member Posts: 1
    How can I tell what dvd navigation gen number I have? I know I'm in the wrong forum but it's still a Toyota and I have an '05 Lexus ES330. Thanks!
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    I think it's a "Gen4"
  • gwilsongwilson Member Posts: 46
    I know the backup camera does not come standard with the navigation system for the TCH but does anyone know if it can be added? If so, anyone know an approx. cost?
    My dealer offered a backup camera that could be viewed on the nav screen for about $750.
  • barbs090barbs090 Member Posts: 1
    We too are having trouble with the NAV in our 2008 Camry Hybrid. It doesn't even recognize our own address and we've lived here for 20 years! How do we determine which version we have? Thanks.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The 2010 Camry will be released sometime next year and is due for the mid cycle updates. Maybe they will mean a redesigned nav system too.
  • ethompson1ethompson1 Member Posts: 7
    Trying to defeat the NavSys motion interlock.

Thank you for posting the 5.1 loading.KWI file.

I replaced my 6.1 loading.KWI file (on a 2007 Camry Hybrid dvd disc) with the 5.1, burned a dual sided DVD (required a +R disc) with all the other files.

The volume screen upper left touch top/bottom/top/bottom sequence did not do anything.

Any ideas?

What I am doing wrong?

Do I need to disconnect the battery to re-set the system?

Thank you.
  • pat85pat85 Member Posts: 92
    I have an 09 TCH. The NAV system is version 7.1.
    I entered my home address and set it up to select all but restricted roads.
    My experience with restricted roads in PA is they are not plowed in snow storms.
    I used it to go from the DC area and Johnstown, PA.
    It worked very well. It's best feature is giving exits far in advance and how to get off for what features you may be interested in food , gas,. motel etc. It even had shopping malls and post offices icons.
    A Navigation System is a tool It gets you from point A to point B It is not a substitute for intelligent driving practices.
    You have to be observant . It thought our motel was a block in the wrong direction.
    We ignored the misdirection when we saw the motel.. I am sure the satellite info is accurate, the NAV map misinterpreted it.
    I have an 09 TCH. The NAV system is version 7.1.
    I entered my home address and set it up to select all but restricted roads.
    My experience with restricted roads in PA is they are not plowed in snow storms.
    I used it to .go from the DC area to Johnstown, PA.and return.
    It worked very well. It's best feature is giving exits far in advance and how to get off for what features you may be interested in food, gas, motel etc. It even had shopping malls and post offices icons.
    A Navigation System is a tool It gets you from point A to point B It is not a substitute for intelligent driving practices.
    You have to be observant . It thought our motel was a block in the wrong direction.
    We ignored the misdirection when we saw the motel.. I am sure the satellite info is accurate, the NAV map misinterpreted it.
    I know the Camry with nav has voice controls, but I really don't care about controlling the A/C temperature and radio volume by voice. That's gimmicky and of limited value.
    What's important is exactly how much control over the nav do you have after the car is moving?

I know you have to stop to enter street addresses with touchscreen, but can you do anything related to entering or changing a destination with the steering wheel controls and voice controls?
    For instance, if you are driving along on the freeway and need to find someplace to eat or get gas, can you use the voice controls and get routed to restaurants and gas stations in the onboard directory without having to pull over and stop first?
    Can you access saved or recent destinations by voice without stopping the car?

I have never seen anyone go into detail on everything that can be done in motion without hacks.
    It would be a good Youtube project for someone.

If you can control destinations by voice, it won't be that bad, but if you have no control unless you find someplace to stop the vehicle, then it's pretty useless.

I know it isn't as good as the latest nav system in the 2008 Accord that lets you actually enter full addresses including city and street address 100% by voice, but I'd like to see just how limited the Camry's nav is.
    I rented a new Camry a few weeks ago, but it didn't have the nav system.
    The TCH navigation system is not capable of changing inputs unless stopped. There are no Nav system steering wheel controls. There are no voice nav inputs either.
    The NAV sytem comes on with a warning about safe driving. The implication is it's a safety issue not to have the driver mess with the Nav system while driving
    The nav system gives you icons for what is at the next exit.
    It will tell you how to get off and how to get back on. It gives you plenty of warning. It tells you in tenths of a mile.
    The icons include motels, post office, shopping, gas and food.
    I have only used it on a trip. I knew my house and way to work.
    I have since retired.
    BTW there are steering wheel controls for changing the radio station, selecting the mode, and adjusting the volume..
    The AC is set for the driver and passenger separately by setting dials near the AC/ Heater. You adjust them by setting a degree. I don't see changing the setting once set.
    There is the capability to change displays for monitoring odometer, current tank mileage. outside temp. whether in battery or engine and a few other ways of monitoring the hybrid functions on the steering wheel,

I
  • annapolis_seannapolis_se Member Posts: 7
    I had to unplug the battery for a few minutes before it worked
  • ethompson1ethompson1 Member Posts: 7
    thanks! Tried it and yes, that worked for me!
    There are voice controls for the factory navigation system.

Is there anyone here that owns a 2007-2009 Camry with factory nav that has used it and can say how well the voice recognition works for entering addresses and finding points of interest while driving?
  • loves2readloves2read Member Posts: 48
    My 09 TCH has nav screen that automatically defaults to the map--whether I am driving to the corner grocery or starting a trip to an unknown destination where I might want NAV services

Is there anyway to change that default to the way my husband's Tahoe system is set up---
    you get the nav screen when you hit destination or something like that--
    otherwise you get two lines of info buttons on the audio--so you see the radio station that is playing--and other options for his XM system
    you can get half screen map and half screen audio info or whole screen map if you want that

can I program around the system's automatic default--or can it be done in the service dept via computer access?
    I did not realize this setup WAS the setup--
    thought it would change if we just used a different format allowed by nav screen options--but that does not appear to bethe case--asked the service mgr when I picked my car up after having the XM installed yesterday and he was basically clueless...

any info out there?
    I registered my car HOME nav spot while it was parked in the garage--so it names just the side street (we are on a corner lot) w/o a house number--it is linked to the lat/long geo address

sales guy said NOT to put in your own PHYSICAL/MAILING address--to prevent anyone getting the car and finding your home---

my husband did his for his Tahoe NAV's at our corner intersection instead of the house address
  • jcihakjcihak Member Posts: 60
    If someone steals your car they will find your address on your registration or insurance cards anyway.
    Nothing forces you to keep those things in your glove compartment. I don't.
    You can keep it in your wallet/purse.
  • talmy1talmy1 Member Posts: 55
    If you have more than a single driver, you probably do need to keep the registration, etc. in the glove compartment.
    in texas you are not required to have proof of registration/like the title to the car--on your person or in the car if you are stopped by police--they check the ownership via the license tag of the car on their computers--
    you DO have to have proof of current valid insurance if you are stopped--the law used to read that if you left insurance car at home or in another purse maybe you could provide it within a reasonable time period and not have a fine--
    but that law was changed recently and now if you don't have proof of current insurance, the car is towed...and we carry that in our billfords
    our sales guy says that dealer installed cameras have the view screen on the rearview mirror--about 1/3 to 1/2 the mirror is taken up
    that did not interest us
    but there is workaround to have the view screen on the NAV screen--but don't know if a dealer would do it because I think the NAV warranty might be compromised...
    You can order an extra copy or make photo copies.
    My dealer in NJ offered a backup camera through the Nav screen for $700 to $800... hope this helps.
  • hblatthblatt Member Posts: 4
    Greetings,

I love everything about my 2007 Camry Hybrid except the fact that the Toyota Lawyers will not let customers use the Navigation system while the car is rolling. I have looked at many forum postings on this subject. I have tried many of the secret menu hacks... But none of these software overrides work with the latest Map DVD.

I have found a workable hardware solution. I have installed a switch to temporarily interrupt the speed signal to the Nav system when I need access to the menus. (Don't just cut the wire. There are times when you NEED the speed signal.) I just installed the switch inside the center console storage box. Flip the switch and you get full control of the menus. Flip it back for normal driving. You can find pinout information here: http://www.oemvalue.com/installcamry07.htm#pluglayout (Look for R12 pinouts.)
  • nkaizernkaizer Member Posts: 25
    Can anyone explain the little red dots on the Navi screen that appear to trace a path that I may have traversed previously? I'm sure it's some sort of automatic memory, but a definitive explanation would be welcome. I found nothing in the Navi book on this, but I'm sure I overlooked something. They are very faint red and white circles that seem to come and go, and sometimes -- but not always -- dot the path I've previously taken. I have a 2009 TCH with v.7.2 (upgraded to 8.0, disabling the speed lock-out)
    You have the Route Trace feature turned on. To disable Route Trace and delete the little red dots do the following:

Touch 'Map View'
    Touch 'Stop'
    Touch 'Yes' or 'No' to keep or delete the little red dots.
    If you have the correct Search Area selected, and your address doesn't appear, please call Toyota @ 800 331 4331 and provide them with the full address. They will forward to the map suppliers to investigate.
    Inputting address via Voice Recognition

1. Push the push to talk (PTT) button and say, "Address."

2. Push the PTT button and say, "Arizona." Or your state name.

3. Push the PTT button and say, "Phoenix." Or your city name.

4. Push the PTT button and say, "North 34th Drive." Or your street name.

5. Push the PTT button and say, "6322." Or say your house number as single digits. It wont recognize anything but single digits.

6. Touch 'Enter' to get route guidance.

Refer to your Navigation Quick Guide for the exact steps above. Also, remember to close the windows, sunroof (if you have one), stop any conservations inside, dont have any air conditioning vents pointed upwards, and wait for the beep to give your commands.

Also, if you use it enough you can disable the voice prompts to move through the menus a lot faster. To disable the voice instructions for address input only do the follwoing steps:

1. Press the MENU panel button.
    2. Touch 'Setup'.
    3. Scroll down to page 2/3
    4. Touch 'OFF' for 'Voice Recognition Guidance'.
    5. Touch 'OK' at the bottom of the screen to confirm your selection.

Good luck and use the Navigation Quick Guide for guidance.
    How to disable the Screen Transition feature:

1. Press the INFO panel button
    2. Touch 'Screen Setting.'
    3. Touch 'OFF' for the 'Automatic transition from Audo to Navigation....'
    4. Touch 'OK' to confirm your selection.

The navigation system will now stay on the audio/CD screen if that was the last feature you used.
  • captnemo1captnemo1 Member Posts: 4
    No you can not have XM Radio info and map information on split screen at the same time which is available on our Infiniti screen. You can have XM information stay on the screen full time by going to SCREEN SETTINGS - SET AUTOMATIC TRANSITION FROM AUDIO TO NAVIGATION/ETC to OFF. To return to map screen you will need to push MAP button or Audio Button.

I find Toyota Navigation system compared to Infiniti system in my case leaves a lot to be desired. It is badly in need of a make over. Also buying a map update which comes out each year in Oct - Nov at $300 is little steep.

I do love my Camry Hybrid
  • tarkiotarkio Member Posts: 4
    I recorded a route through Route Trace and saved it. How can I get rid of the route markers now, after it was saved?

Thanks.
  • timh4timh4 Member Posts: 3
    You mention that you "upgraded to 8.0, disabling the speed lock-out". How did you disable the speed lock-out?
  • nkaizernkaizer Member Posts: 25
    I bought a version 8.0 off eBay from some guy. He apparently made the DVD himself by combining an old Navi (w the diagnostic override) with a new one (w/o the override). Th einstrucitons that came with the disc are excellent. To disable the Navi speed lockout, after installing the new v.8.0 disc., you hit menu, volume, upper left, bottom left, upper left, bottom left and then press and hold override. This enables you to make calls while driving and operate the Navi while in motion. I paid $69.00 for the DVD and directions for my 09 TCH. Five minutes first time installation. Let me know if you can't find it on the internet and I'll have somebody make a copy of it and send it out to you. I think this is much more practical that cutting wires and removing pins from the speed lockout, but hey, whatever the public wants, right?
  • hudsonjthudsonjt Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me how I can order this? I have a 2009 TCH and would like to have this feature.
    Touch MAP VIEW
    Touch ROUTE TRACE > START
    Touch ROUTE TRACE > STOP
    Touch YES to delete the red dots.

Its kinda odd but it does delete the older red dots.
  • timh4timh4 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, this would be far better than cutting wires, etc. If you can point us to the eBay guy, or some other way to purchase this, I'd greatly appreciate it. I have done some looking around on the internet but have not yet found it. BTW, I have the 2007 TCH. Thank you!