Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• quickdropmarcquickdropmarc Member Posts: 14
    This is the 3rd GM product I bought with the "employee discount" that a family member qualified to receive. My wife's brother-in-law works for a GM related company that qualifies. As I understand it, his immediate family, and his wife's immediate family are entitled. The eligible person applies for a discount number code via the internet, and we just give this code to the dealership.

Sounds like your brother is getting lazy.

ciao,
    Marc
  • mitadanmitadan Member Posts: 1
    HOWS THE RIDE
  • mikesocalmikesocal Member Posts: 19
    I just purchased a new 06 Denali XL at the end of the year. So far, it's been great.

One thing missing is a good hands free bluetooth feature. Yes, I know I can use the hands-free mobile service offered through OnStar (which uses a separate mobile number), but it's not the greatest considering there is no caller ID, no voice mail, etc. It's only natural that anyone would want to continue using their existing cell phone, rather than have another (separate) number.

I'm hoping there's someone out there that has developed a great Bluetooth kit that integrates with the Denali's NAV system, audio, and the steering wheel phone controls, for a fully integrated experience. That would be a great experience.

Has anyone come across anything like that?

Regards,

Mike :shades:
  • tdohtdoh Member Posts: 298
    I've yet to hear of an aftermarket BT that integrates seamlessly w/ the nav and factory steering wheel controls (as far as controlling the phone is concerned--IOW I don't think you could use one of the steering wheel buttons to do a quick dial or hangup, or have the factory nav screen display Caller ID, or use the factory nav buttons/touchscreen to dial a number)...but there are some BT kits that can (almost) seamlessly integrate into the factory audio (i.e., radio is automatically muted when dialing out or incoming call). Parrot offers such a kit (comes with separate display), and Motorola also offers a similar kit.
  • denalidaddenalidad Member Posts: 4
    My 04' DXL has had a recurrent problem with speedo malfunctioning. The needle will not return to 0 and will stay at a speed anywhere from 1-120+ mph and not give accurate speed. Any suggestions. Cannot locate speedo or cluster fuse in manual, I thought by removing this it may reset a potential error.

DenaliDad
  • rickefelrickefel Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone I own an 01 Yukon SLT with 82K my question is just recently while driving my security light will come on and stay on. then when I stop and turn off the engine it resets itself for a while and then will come on again. anyone have any ideas or sugestions?
  • mikesocalmikesocal Member Posts: 19
    Thanks tdoh. I was aware of the Parrot, but I was hoping there was something that could take advantage of the existing displays (either NAV or DIC). I noticed that if I use the hands free phone service that's available via OnStar (for an extra fee), that the DIC displays the outgoing phone number when I dial out via voice. Since the same hands free phone service can make use of the steering wheel control to initiate or answer a call, I would think a Bluetooth kit could also tap into it (and the DIC, for outgoing numbers and incoming caller id).

For now, it looks like my choices are something like Parrot or Raytel Tellphone, which require their own separate displays to be installed.

Regards,

Mike
  • neo6neo6 Member Posts: 24
    Mike -

If you happen to have Verizon wireless service, they will integrate your existing wireless plan into the built-in phone service on the Denali. In other words, it will just take minutes off your existing number's plan whenever you use the phone in the truck.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    GM Bets the Farm on Yukon (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • nayericnayeric Member Posts: 4
    My '06 Denali is experiencing same problem I took to shop to get fixed. My dvd wouldn't work so the dealer took out nav disk, put music cd in slot and the dvd player worker. Now, i'm experiencing problems when i select buttons on my steering wheel. For example, when playing cd i select seek and it selects a different cd which its suppose to select next song. Also, does same thing on display. I removed all the cd's and reloaded same problem. Any ideas before I take back to shop? Thanks in advance.
  • ssbmgssbmg Member Posts: 7
    How much did you lower your truck? I have the same problem - huge gap between the tire and wheel well so the 20s look tiny. In addition, did lowering the suspension disrupt the autoride sensor in any way?
  • genoegenoe Member Posts: 1
    Is there anyway to adjust the autoride on a 2004 denali xl? The rear end seems too high.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    which did a 2/3 drop. It does so by replacing the rear springs and relocating the shock sensors. The front is lowered by adjusting the torsion bars. I replaced the rear torsion bar too, since the handling needed a little improvement.

http://www.thepartsbin.com/sitemap/cadillac~lowering_kit~parts.html
    OK, I see the 2007 Denali has a rear camera system. Since I just bought an 06 model last month, I'm not ready to upgrade, but would love to have the rear camera. Is this possible to add to my 06 model? I do have the nav/entertainment package.

ciao,
    Marc
  • brjohnsonbrjohnson Member Posts: 10
    Hi Marc,

We also just recently bought an 06 Denali and were chasing the camera thing as well to make it easier for me when hooking up the boat.

Check out JP Customs...they have a nice selection of cameras and the interface that switches your nav screen to the camera image when in reverse.

http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/home.php
  • petzl7000petzl7000 Member Posts: 2
    Hi im new too this forum i just purchased a 2006 gmc Yukon. I love it i have only one problem. Inbetweek 45 and 50 MPH i get this weird noise. it almost sounds like a grinding noise for a few seconds. then it goes away. it only happens it you are on the throttle a little bit. at about 1200 rpm. i only have about 1200 miles on the truck. im not sure if this is normal or not. but when i put the truck in 3rd gear i do not seem to hear the nose. anyone that could help or have any ideas would be great!
    thanx
    mark
    Sounds like the engine is lugging which is common for the 4 speed 4L-65e. To attain an increase in gas mileage the spread between 3rd and 4th gear leaves something missing...and will cause the engine to lug between 39-48 mph. Which explains why you don't hear it while locked into 3rd.
  • petzl7000petzl7000 Member Posts: 2
    Is this something i should worry about or it is just something that is normal. the noise can get really annoying i usually just turn up the radio so i can't hear it! i was going to take it back to the dealer but if it is normal i won't bother to have them give me a run around. thanx for the speedy reply!

MArk
    I have a 2001 Denali with an aftermarket radio that makes the factory CD changer useless. Does anyone have any suggestions with regards to replacing it with some other kind of gadget or where I could buy a pocket that is made for that space. Along those lines, has anyone come up with anything creative the the space where the Onstar buttons are placed? I think it's absolutely useless and would love to pull it out and replace it with something new - preferably some kind of new toy. Thanks.
    Oops I meant 4L-60e not the 4L-65e. There isn't much that the dealer can do except flash with an updated program. What would probably happen is that it would downshift to third a bit faster so as to not lug as long.
    Well I can't really offer much, given the model year of your Denali; I'm replying 'cuz I had a similar dilemma with the factory slave changer in my '04 DXL (has factory navigation). Now, there wasn't really anything wrong with the factory changer...I wanted to hook up a rear camera and really didn't want to go with the adapter that allows you to send a video image to the nav screen. So...I chose to swap out the factory changer w/ a Pioneer touchscreen DVD/MP3 head unit; by doing this I essentially killed two birds with one stone--I can send the rear camera video to the Pioneer, and since it can play MP3 tracks, I can burn a ton of MP3s to one CD. One single MP3 CD can hold more music than 6 standard audio CDs--roughly 8 hours worth (or more, depending on bitrate), so I did not lose anything as far as the capability to listen to lots of music tracks w/o frequent disc-swapping.

I believe on your truck the Onstar buttons are located right below the air vent that is to the right of the radio, correct? If so, then you could hook up a small color LCD screen in that location so that you can use it for a rear camera video feed (or some other video of your choosing)...
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have a DVD/LCD installed in the space where the factory stereo used to be and I put a small navigation unit in the top cover of the center compartment that flips up (pretty cool actually - I cut out a hole to make it a pretty factory looking flush mount. I'll post a picture if I can figure out how to do it). I think I will shop for a small screen to replace the Onstar controls. Another screen can't hurt and that size would be pretty inexpensive.

My main concern is the factory CD changer that is now useless. It was suggested that I mount a center channel speaker there like in home surround systems but I'd really rather put some kind of storage pocket. Another idea is some gauges that I've seen in magazines. I think it's 3 circular gauges that would fit perfectly in that space. If I did that I'd have to hook them up to something...nitrous maybe? :)

Any ideas would be welcome.
  • lou747jeepslou747jeeps Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 Yukon XL. I want to change my radiator fluid. I did not find a redatior cap on top of my radiator. I also did not find a drain plug at the bottom of my radiator. Does anyone have any experience with changing radiator fluid on a Yukon XL? I can drop my lower hose to drain, and I can try to refill through the reservoir, but I wanted to get your advice first.

Thanks.
    The "radiator cap" is actually on the overflow reservoir; there is no traditional radiator cap on top of the radiator on our vehicles like what you're used to seeing.

Dunno what to tell you about the drain plug, though...I'm sure someone more knowledgable will swing by to answer that.
  • stranded3stranded3 Member Posts: 3
    Have a 2002 Yukon XL. Recently the dashboard electronics have been acting up. While driving, the "traction off", "ABS" and "AirBag" lights stay on. The fuel and temperature gauges do not work. The information center rotates through Security, Battery, and Low Fuel. The oil gauge and volt gauge do work. When not in use and engine stopped, the Security light stays on. Any ideas? Thanks.
  • master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    If the Airbag light is on take it to your dealer RIGHT AWAY. Who knows - your airbag might pop out all of a sudden, or it may not pop out when supposed to. Alot of your safety systems are not working. Take it to your dealer. We cannot help you if your cars computer is messing everything up.
    Best of luck
  • akyukonakyukon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Yukon SLT, 5.7liter, 4x4, (old body style). How can I tell if I need to bleed the pressure from the fuel system before changing the fuel filter? I have two repair manuals, one through 98, and one from 2000-2001, (couldn't find one for 1999) one says it's not necessary, the other says it is. I know there was a major design change in 2000, my truck is the old style. Any tips?
    relate to the 5.7 rather than the 5.3 or 4.8
    Thanks for the link on the rear camera systems. Looks like the one I need to order is called the BracketCam since I need it to hook up my boat trailer, with the interface for the touch screen navigation system. At $700 I wish I could see one first, or at least hear from someone that owns one. Have you installed one yet? If so, how do you like it.

Since I fish a lot of bass tournaments I need to hook-up my trailer in the dark, usually in the rain (live in Seattle area), so I'm wondering if I will have enough light with my backup lights for this? Any additional info would be helpful on likes/dislikes.

Thanks,
    Marc
    www.whitenight.com, for one aux backup light solution.
    ...it doesn't look like that lighting system will work for me. I use a special mudflap system that also attaches to my receiver and would prevent the attachment of this lighting system.

ciao,
    Marc
  • chriscam19chriscam19 Member Posts: 1
    when the 2008 yukon hybrid comes out will it have a denali hybrid also?

chris
  • davidbeverdavidbever Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased a 2007 Yukon. Can you turn off the V4 mode so that the car only runs in V8 mode?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have large SUVs but might rent a car to save on gas when going on long trips. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, April 6, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • vdoefxvdoefx Member Posts: 6
    Help!

I can't seem to figure out how to change the background colors on the Nav screen ('05 Denali). The background color is black, no matter what I do. I've tried to set the colors to day/night auto, normal, 1, 2, 3, or 4 yet the background color is still dark. Roads appear to be white.

Can someone help?

Thanks!
    Marc,

Have not dropped the money yet...with all the hooking up to the boat I do alone, sure would be nice.

There is another model camera.,..mounts in the same location, but without the cover plate..for $200ish less.

Let me know if you go with this, I think I will, but may be a month or so.
    Heck, I'm going to wait until you buy yours first! :)

Where is the model that is $200 less?

ciao,
    Marc
    brjohnson, I noticed today at the GMC dealer that the 2007 Yukon's rear camera lens is located above the license plate to improve the rear view. I wonder if this is a better location than the aftermarket model you told me about that is located just above the hitch receiver? Mounting high may improve vision to the rear when backing your empty boat trailer down the ramp, but I wonder if it is possible to see your hitch when trying to hook-up your trailer.

The lower mounting location of the aftermarket version may be better for lining up your hitch, but I wonder if the low angle decreases your rear view when backing down a ramp (or improves it?), and I also wonder if this location is smart in that if you aren't paying attention could the hitch on the trailer tongue hit the camera lens and break it? Any thoughts (we really need someone who has a rear camera chime in here with some first hand experience)!

ciao,
    Marc
  • pewtercoupepewtercoupe Member Posts: 2
    Dude,
    Did you ever get this problem fixed? If yes, what was it? I have the same problem with my 2003 Denali. I've traced it to the rear airconditioning fan which is never turning off. It runs very slowly once the vehicle is cut off. This draws ~1 amp, which kills the battery in a day of sitting without being started. I believe the problem is a relay that is not turning power off when the truck is off. Any help would be appreciated.
    Has anyone replaced the factory tires with Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/P factory size P265 70 17 ? I want to replace asap can anyone suggest std size replacements with good wearability and moderate price range $125-150/tire that maintain or improve the mpg?
    Check out the Michelin LTX or for a little more the Crossterrains. The Crossterrains have a little higher wear rating.
    thank you for the info, are the crossterrrains an agressive tread pattern that may introduce noise at highway speed? As most AWD owners are these days my vehicle never has and never will see any offroad driving and the need for agressive tread is not worth the noise. A highway tread is more than adequate as the Good Year Wrangler HP that were OEM have adequate traction in snow and wet road conditions and have great tread life. Any other comments or suggestions are welcomed. Thanks again.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    The Crossterrains that came on my Envoy XL are more of a highway tread...less agressive than the LTX. Quiet and smooth after 30K miles. I have a version of the LTX (Select LT that were available through Wal-Mart) that have over 50K miles...still going strong, pretty smooth...they are on my '00 Trooper. A little more agressive tread..but still pretty good. Depending on the size you should be able to pick up the LTX for less esp. if you can shop at Costco or Sams Club.
    The LTX comes in three different flavors. A/S, M/S, and A/T. The M/S was what I was describing. Here's a link on the M/S.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=LTX+M%2FS

The Crossterrain SUV doesn't have an aggressive pattern which would contribute to road noise. Actually, it was rated superior in ride comfort and noise comfort.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Cross+Terrai- n+SUV

good luck
  • blky2kdblky2kd Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2000 yukon denali it has about 13000k miless in it and my front a/c wont trow out cold air my rear a/c works great but my front a/c will only throw hot air does anyone else have this issue or know how to solve it . Thanks
    Couple thoughts...
    The other camera is also at JP Customs...it is the piece that comes with a round billet aluminum mount (can be painted black) and mounts in the same location, just not with the bracket cover which is a cleaner look.

As far as the view, if you get on their website, you can find a pic of a monitor mounted up near the rearview that is a picture of the view you get with this lower location. It appears to be wide-angle enough to work just fine.

I thought about a higher mounting location, but do not want to drill out my rear door, and the other alternative was the license plate frame cams you can get. Concern there was it is more visible and potentially more likely to be swiped by someone.

I think the lower mount is where to start, if that does not work, I will likely drill out on the left side of the license plate as you are looking at the rear of the vehicle. There is already the key cover for the spare on the right, this may balance it out a bit.

Still have not committed to the $$$ though, but hooked up the boat the other day and got in and out of the truck at least 9x trying to make sure I did not mess up my rear bumper...has to be a better way!
  • pewtercoupepewtercoupe Member Posts: 2
    For those of you out there that my have a problem with your Denali's battery dying after sitting a day or longer here's what I found the problem to be. The rear blower control module (pn#93803634)went bad. The module regulated the fan speed correctly while the truck was on but failed to turn off the fan when the ignition was off. This part is located on the right inside (passenger side) at the rear behind the inside panel cover. The part looks like a pack of cigarettes with two wires that go to a connecter that plugs into the fan. This is a $100 part.
    Camera location/angle basically comes down to two things--depth or distance. With depth (obtained with the camera angled more towards the ground than towards the horizon--mounting locations are typically a bit up high, e.g., license plate or even roofline) you'll be able to get a much more better view as to exactly how close you are to an object...which you won't get if the camera was angled towards the horizon. With the camera angled toward the horizon (typically mounted at bumper/hitch level), you'll lose the depth perception but you'll be able to see much further out the rear (i.e., wider horizon viewing angle).

IMHO--if you're more concerned about lining up the trailer tongue w/ the hitch receiver, the lower mounting angle would be your best bet...and to avoid the possibility of damaging the camera, you could always mount the camera inside the little "receptacle" right above the hitch receiver opening (I'm talking about the factory hitch receiver).
    13000k miles? Man, where have you been driving? ;)
  • vdoefxvdoefx Member Posts: 6
    Anyone?

--Tom