Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Why does my Ford Escape Beep?

junik85junik85 Member Posts: 2
edited May 2014 in Ford
I'm new. I'm looking for answers. I've recently purchased a 2001 Ford Escape XLS.

One problem, it beeps. When it first starts up, it does this: beep,beep,beep,beep,beep,......beep,beep,beep, beep,....etc. etc. until it does that like 5 times. Some days it'll do it, and others it won't. Sometimes I can be going down the road and it'll just start beeping. I can't stand it any more.

Also, some damp mornings it doesn't want to idle. It'll cut of a couple of times before I can get it to run. AutoZone said that it was the EGR valve. The dealership hasn't ever heard of one beeping before. No warning lights come on or anything.

So, I don't know what to do. Can some one help me?

Comments

• Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    By any chance, do you have a rear view camera installed?

tidester, host
  • Options
    junik85junik85 Member Posts: 2
    Not to my knowledge.
  • Options
    scape03scape03 Member Posts: 1
    The beeps sound like an error code. It is likely a two part sequence, like 2 beeps, pause, 7 beeps, long pause, 2 beeps.....etc
    The error code is 27.
    Then google (or your favourite search tool) "Ford Escape" + error 27
    Good luck.
    FWIW, I had a airbag problem, that at the time, could find nothing, then a while later, the same problem came up as the first hit......($257 later.....)
  • Options
    redjamaxredjamax Member Posts: 2
    I just got a used 2001 escape and I have the same error. 5 sets of 5 long beeps with a short pause between them. I get the error code when I initialy put the car in gear, and it will sound again in 30 minute increments as long as the car is still running. Junik85: did you ever figure out what this problem was?

Thanks for any help
  • Options
    redjamaxredjamax Member Posts: 2
    effective beep code: 5 long beeps, pause, 5 long beeps, pause, 5 long beeps, pause, 5 long beeps, pause, 5 long beeps, pause: Re-occurs every thirty minutes.
  • Options
    twoplankr22twoplankr22 Member Posts: 15
    is yours seat belt buckled? it'll beep if you dont
  • Options
    sanipasssanipass Member Posts: 10
    mine does that but its just the seat belt alarm, maybe your seatbelt dash light is out and you hear it but you don't see it?
  • Options
    ken_iken_i Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever find out what was causing this beep? I am having the very same problem. Have found a lot of forums where people have problem... but have found no solutions.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    another 1 and done.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    ken_iken_i Member Posts: 2
    i guess I don't understand
  • Options
    goddribgoddrib Member Posts: 1
    The error code inidicates one of two things. It is either a burned out SRS light or there is a prblem with the SRS system that is being detected durng the initialization process. When there is an error, the chime will sound 5 times, pause and repeat. It will do this about five times and stop. If the engine is left running for 30 minutes, the sequence will repeat.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    there is an effort to indicate a problem to try to undermine the confidence that potential buyers will have about buying a particular vehicle.
    it is planted by a competitor.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    And yet another owner posts with the same problem.

How about skipping the conspiracy theories and try to address the question?
This discussion has been closed.