Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Caliber Transmission Problems

124»

Comments

• brad94brad94 Member Posts: 2
    My transmission just went out yesterday about 3 pm. I heard a loud thump just like what your husband is describing. Then after that there was a sound of internal moving parts clunking together. Mine is an 07. It went to the dealership on a flat-bad. Less than 46,000 miles. 3 blocks away from home. 4 of us pushed it home. You can tell the dealership the exact same thing happened to the exact same person. My name is Brad by the way, just assumed your screen-name was some reference to your name as well. That is your transmission. That is what my car is at the dealership for. There is hold in it and I gave the dealership the bag of parts that fell out on the concrete as well. All of the fluid leaked out on the pavement.
  • brad94brad94 Member Posts: 2
    My transmission went out yesturday. Can you tell me what the dealer gives as the reason for this problem ? 46,000 miles, and this is the first time this happened to me. They are telling me they have never seen this before. Well this has happened to you 4 times. I purchased the car new in 2007, and have driven it carefully. I was coasting to a stop yesturday when I heard a load clunk. Then I heard parts clunking together. When I stopped the car transmission fluid was spilling out all over the ground. They are telling me they have never seen this before, and they are saying they did not recieve the bag of broken metal I picked up off of the ground and gave to the tow truck driver.
  • cali124cali124 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I just bought a 2007 Caliber with 61,000 miles on it and the dealership replaced the transmission. I went on a trip and the car started lurching at 65mph and at 70mph.
    It was okay at 60mph. The next day it was lurching or jumping and the rpm needle would move 5 to 10 rpm and by the end of the trip I couldn't accelerate and almost got hit trying to cross an intersection. I took the car in monday morning and they sent it to a Dodge dealership next door (they are Buick GMC) and I was told the problem was that the new transmission needed software upgrades. My question was why was my dealership putting in a transmission that they don't have computers for?

I'm not sure if I should stay with this car (I love it, the first car I've ever loved) or get something else? I have an extended warrenty. Any thoughts?
  • chryslergroupchryslergroup Member Posts: 35
    Hello cali124,

I would have the same question that you have - why is a GMC dealer making repairs to my Dodge Caliber that they are not familiar since they failed to preform the proper software upgrades.

Personally, I would keep the Dodge Caliber but make sure I request for the vehicle to be sent to an authorized Dodge dealer for any possible future repairs instead of having the GMC dealer try to service.

Lisa
    Customer Care
    Chrysler Group LLC
  • ashly19ashly19 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2007 Dodge Caliber and noticed when I first start the car up, when trying to accelerate or when I go from a turn to straightening the car out, my car jumps. It's almost as if the engine is stalling or jumps to the next gear but the entire car thrust forward quickly three times. It sounds as if I just ran over three pot holes. Any ideas? It's only within the first time starting it up for the day for about 5 min. I know it has a CVT transmission but this doesn't seem normal. It had all the updates to the software. A new fuel injection sensor. New suspension belts, and new ball joint/tire rods. Also when I'm at around 70 mph the rpm needle will jump about half way an it wil thrust forward a bit but not like the jumping mentioned before.
  • sarahjco8sarahjco8 Member Posts: 1
    I bought this car with 8 miles on it, I loved it for about the first 3 months, then got an oil change and from there it was one front drivers control arm after the next I've had them replaced like 6 times, not kidding/ exaggerating. The last two times (both within 8 months of each other) I had to have my front struts replaced because of excessive play. Two weeks ago I bring the stupid thing in for check engine bc the speed control censor is experiencing issues. They "Fix it" then over the weekend the friendly check engine light pops right back up. I bring it back in and explain that this is a joke they should have fixed it. Now I'm being told that calibers are temper-mental and they believe that my electronic panel is experiencing issues now they have to go through chrysler technical support. Never again Dodge never again.
  • gizm0mangizm0man Member Posts: 13
    Took my 07 Caliber into the dealer on Mon due toa scraping sound from the front. Dealer said it need new front brakes, front struts were leaking and oil pan was rusting at 73K miles. This is after 2 trannys and multiple other problems. I said enough is enough. On Wed I went to a local Toyota dealer and traded the Caliber in on a 2013 RAV4.
    Wife is happy. She hated the Caliber. Would not drive. She has an 06 Rav and we will trade that one in for a 2014 next winter.
  • jbraden1jbraden1 Member Posts: 2
    Our Dodge Caliber has 74,000 miles on it and we began to hear a loud whining noise..turns out it is that wonderful CVT Transmission that has to be replaced. I called their customer service and of course they claim that they haven't heard of any problems with the transmission of these vehicles. Well, when we pulled into the dealer Ringgold Chrysler Dodge, we parked right next to one that is exactly like ours and was in for the exact same problem. (one of their service men let that slip) Our estimate is $3000.00 bucks!!! Now we know of 4 other people who have had the exact same problem plus the one that is sitting in their service center right next to ours. I don't blame the guys at our dealership, I blame Dodge for not recalling this piece of junk transmission!! We also had the problem with the control arm on the front wheel. I wasn't aware of that being another consistant problem with the car until I started checking into transmission problems. The mechanic said that we were lucky our front wheel didn't fall off!!! Anyone here interested in helping put together a Class Action Lawsuit???
  • dodgedodgerdodgedodger Member Posts: 2
    I let my 08 Caliber go back to the bank. I felt guilty about trying to pawn the car's problems onto an individual. I only had the car for 3 years. The car needed a transmission at 20,000 miles and was on its way on another at 30,000. It was worth the hit to my credit to get rid of it.
  • jbraden1jbraden1 Member Posts: 2
    I wanted to buy a Ram or a Jeep so bad I couldn't stand it. I love their look and had planned on buying one or the other this fall. I thought they had stepped up their quality but obviously, I was mistaken. I am so disappointed in how Dodge is handling the problems with the Caliber, I will NEVER EVER buy one of their products again period! I finally got a customer service supervisor on the phone (took nearly a week) and she did tell me that once the transmissions are recalled, I can file a claim for a refund....I don't think I will be holding my breath!!! They don't give a crap about their customers or backing their products. I hope Fiat owners or potential NEW Fiat owners will read up on these problems since Fiat owns a major part of Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, they are all one and the same!!!
  • lgrecolgreco Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in a possible class action against Chrysler Dodge. Please send more info
  • ekhuskeyekhuskey Member Posts: 1
    I would be interested in a class action lawsuit.
  • crashoveridecrashoveride Member Posts: 1
    Class Action Lawsuit I am in. I had a 2007 Dodge Caliber CVT AWD RT for a week before the transmission went and the software needed to be upgraded. The dealership had to take it to a Dodge dealership because no independent mechanic can fix these damn things. All in all I am about 10,000 in debt for a car that stopped working the first week and have no way to get out of the loan. Problem is I even had someone look at it. This car has some serious electronic and mechanical issues.
  • momergmomerg Member Posts: 2
    I've just had something similar to this happen to me last night. I was on my way home from work and all of a sudden I had the message PRND8 appear, my engine and the Trans Oil Temp lights both turned on. I could not go over 15/20mph. I hooked up my OBD2 reader and ended up with fault codes U0101 & U0402; lost communication with TCM and implausible data received from TCM. Thankfully it happened when I was just around the corner to my house.

I do mostly city driving, my engine temp was ok at the time it happened. Today I checked the connections to the TCM and made sure it was properly connected. I still had both fault codes and the engine light but no Trans Oil Temp light. so I drove it up and down the street and the Trans Oil Temp light kept coming on and going off, while it was on I could not drive over 15mph, and when it went off I could drive normally.

I'm bringing it in tomorrow(Monday)
  • momergmomerg Member Posts: 2
    Turned out to be 2 broken wires un the left front wheel well. Not as bad as I expected! :D
  • damst75damst75 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem on my 07 caliber 3 days ago. They replaced the transmission control module but that didnt do anything, now they are telling me they have to replace the PCM as well.
  • scorpio111253scorpio111253 Member Posts: 1
    Yea,I'd like to get in on any class action suit.I've got a 2008 Caliber with the
    beloved cvt transmission that needs replacing.Car has only 59,000 miles on it
    but,of course,I don't have the extended warranty since I bought it used Dodge
    wanted $3100 for a used trannie w/47,000 miles on it.Best price I could find
    was $2500 to get it rebuilt.(shop has several 5 star reviews on Google so heres
    hoping.They've had it for a week now,and pedaling bike to work 6 1/2 miles
    min each way is getting old.I have also sworn off Dodges,but this one had the
    sunburst orange color I love so,of course,I just had to have it.Wife has been
    kind enough not to remind me of that(yet)
  • janfayjanfay Member Posts: 2
    I would like to join a class action suit. My 2008 Dodge Caliber CVT transmission just went out. Only had 52,000 miles.
  • janfayjanfay Member Posts: 2
    2008 caliber cvt out. I want in on a class ation suit.
  • litesong2litesong2 Member Posts: 44
    Had a 2007 CVT Caliber w/53,000 miles & I adored the CVT. Yeah scorpio, that Sunburst Orange is lovely. But it kept nagging at me how expensive it would be to repair if it did fail. :lemon: Traded in my Caliber for a great deal on a Hyundai Elantra w/100,000 mile warranty, that I also adore. Get 20+% better mpg with a good auto transmission, but miss the ultra smooth elegance of the CVT.
    Also had an 07 awd Sunburst Orange. Tranny went at 50k back in 2010. Started making a whining sound. Luckily I had an extended warrantee. New ones were on backorder. Took almost a month to find a used one. From then on I had a bad hesitation at about 2400 rpm. Dealer replaced the tanny a 2nd time. So many problems I finally traded it in in March for a 2013 RAV4 XLE.
  • radardanradardan Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 Sunburst Orange with 55,000 miles. It started making a whining noise when driving. Bad gearbox bearings. I'd love to get in on a class action!! I am. In the UK, don't know if that would make a difference. I am American though.
    Had the same problem with my 07 awd also sunburst orange back in 2000, at about 53k miles. Look back in the thread for my story.
    As far as a class action, I don't think it's worth getting into for several reasons. Are there enough people who have had problems that a law firm will take it on. If one does, after their fees, what would be left for us. Most likely, Chrysler would offer a discount on another Chrysler product. Would you buy one? I had so many other problems, that I traded it on a 2013 RAV4 XLE in March.
    Mine was actually a UK-spec right hand drive, FWD. I'm from the US though, so thought that maybe it was still covered under warranty (I bought it from a 3rd party dealership used). I was hopeful the powertrain warranty would be at least 6 years/60,000 miles. No luck, 3 years/30,00 miles. Not surprised with the weak warranty terms though, with such a turd of a product. I have a 2005 Neon SRT-4 and I love it, but this experience with my Caliber has definitely soured my thoughts on Dodges. I was planning on buying a Challenger SRT-8 when I got back to the US, but now I think I'll just stick with GM. It helps that I get 20% off dealer invoice on GMs.
    I'm about to take my 2007 Caliber in for the same thing. Only 53,000 miles on it!
  • odessadooodessadoo Member Posts: 1
    We got our caliber in 07 with 8 miles on it. A year later, we had to have the transmission replaced. There were some other repairs as well, like a window that wouldn't work, and the lights would dim through the car at random times. We have the extended warranty and last December we had to have more repairs and they did a flash update to the CVT. Monday I turned the car back in because it wouldn't accelerate and was jerking like crazy. They called to let me know it needs another transmission! Then they called to let me know Chrysler is sending an inspector. Anyone had to have an inspector come out?

I wish I could lemon this car. I'm pretty sure it's past that point. The car is paid off and only has 70,000 miles on it. We can't afford a new car payment. Dodge is going to make me lose it!!
  • calibercrapolacalibercrapola Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    I have a used 2010 caliber that now, after the first 3 yr/36k warranty went out in Aug 2013, now the car is doing stupid things. It has stalled on me several times when leaving the stop sign. Now, when I am neutral, it makes a noise but when I push in the clutch, it stops. When I go to accelerate, it makes this almost whining noise until I push in the clutch, then it stops until I accelerate again to switch gears. There is no repair manual for it. I have the power train warranty but I'm not sure if it's the tranny, flywheel, pressure plate or clutch. I am afraid it will not be covered by the power train warranty. Anyone know where to get a repair manual? ????
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The factory service manual is available from Mopar Tech Authority at 2010 Dodge Caliber Service Manual and costs $134.99

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • caboose10caboose10 Member Posts: 1

i have a 2007 r/s which has 85,000 miles on it.
    The AWD! light came on. I was thinking sensor. Went to trade in and they said they heard a whining noise.
    Dealer diagonosed it and said that there was a bad bearing in the tranny as well as a bad sylanoid pack. $4500 for a new tranny. Was told it cannot be rebuilt since non-servicable tranny
    I would be in class action if enough are having tranny issues

• meboz2003meboz2003 Member Posts: 1

I have a 2007 r/s with 129,000 miles and Dodge tells me I need a new transmission. It still runs real well and no problem in shifting, just a whinning noise on take off. Have never had the fluid or filter changed. Would changing fluid and filter help?

• kevsmerckevsmerc Member Posts: 1

Hi my 2008 Calibers tranny is going out 90k on it has been great till now was informed because I dint have a 5yr inspection done last year it is not covered by the LIFETIME warranty that it came with I prob would of had inspected which is crap but I had no idea it was supposed to be inspected and now I am __it out of luck I would do suit. Oh by the way the tranny has a bad whinning growling sound

• edgarskiedgarski Member Posts: 1

Hi. I have a 2008 Caliber SXT Automatic and is going 98Ks on it. Recently I noticed on decelaration after running above 60ks, when gradually applying breaks or just letting your foot of the pedal to a rolling stop, the dial stays on at 1300 RPM and after about 2-3 seconds it falls down on normal idling 700-800 rpm when you hit the breaks for a full stop.. Seems like a bit of delay getting to its normal idling. Is this normal ? So when this is happening you will hear two (2) engine sound, the car is already slow and you will still hear the engine revving at 1300 RPM, when u hit the breaks, you will hear the engine slows down and comes to idling .. sound like Engine breaking a manual car... but for an Automatic transmission, it should be gradual.. is my transmission failing? Acceleration is normal... Thanks for any tip/experience you can share.
    Cheers.

• wolftone22wolftone22 Member Posts: 1
    Just want to add my frustration with this POS car. I had to replace the engine at 73k miles through no fault of my own. Not even a warning! Car rode just fine, no sign of mechanical problems. Came to a stop and the car died. Spent $2,200 on new engine. About 1.5 months later the alternator went out. Mechanic said he had never seen anything like it, the insides completely disintegrated! About another 1.5 months and the starter went, again, completely fell apart. What I thought was the starter making noise now appears to be the transmission! That will be roughly 6k in repairs in 5 months! I am done! I will never, EVER own another dodge! They should be sued for allowing such a piece of crap to see the light of day.
  • tiredbusymomtiredbusymom Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same frustration with this crappy vehicle. I have seen information about a recall on these transmissions, but am not able to locate any good source. Is anyone aware of a recall, and, if so, would you please send contact information?
  • vadzya1vadzya1 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2010 dodge caliber auto trans its making a whining noise when accelerating fast. I have taken the drive belt off to see if the belt or alternator was making the noise. after i ran the car it still make the same whining noise. please help
  • NickHNickH Member Posts: 1
    Alright, can i get on this dodge action lawsuit. I have a 2007 Dodge sxt 2.0 cvt. Was running fine for the 3 years i had it with very minimal issues, Alternator, brakes, 1 fuel injector. Then all of a sudden, was coming back from a buddies house pulling into my backlane (so lucky) and all of a sudden i lose all power in drive and by all power i mean, will not pull forward, and will not rev past 2k rpm. Now here is the odd part, it runs in neutral fine, will rev past 4K (only did it once to see what was going on) and my reverse gear drives fine as well. Now this was a month ago, i removed the air filter and checked the wires by the transmission, they all seemed ok, checked a couple sensors seemed clean. Car was running fine again for about a week. Then again today same thing happened, lost all power in drive and will not get any pull forward. I mean if it was a transmission issue, it would not want to work all the time right? Not sometimes. So again this morning it went into gear, was able to drive, and then same thing got about 2 mins from home was coming to a stop, then it locked me in place, and could not get power. What would be causing this!!!!! No lights, No error Codes, No Burning smell, No Leaks. I am at a total loss on what the fudge is going on!
  • 08caliber308caliber3 Member Posts: 1
    2008 Dodge Caliber. About 3 years ago I was driving home from work and heard the whiring sound of the tranny. Dealer replaced it as it is under lifetime warranty (used/rebuilt tranny). Recently I'm heading that familiar noise again but usually on a warm day or when I am on the highway for 20 minutes or so. I really haven't had an issue with the car other than that.
    Based on what I have read here, is there no real solution other than to continuously have the tranny replaced? (multiple times)
  • KymberliKymberli Member Posts: 1
    Mine has a about 125k miles on it. I drove it up to Prescott Valley AZ from Phoenix last summer which is several thousand feet of mountains/hills. Tranny temp light came on about half to 3/4 of the way. Let it sit all weekend & when I drove home it was in the evening so it was cooler & nothing happened. Had a hard time getting to PV though. When I finally got into the turn lane and the light changed I could barely get moving. It's my fiance's car so I didn't know much about it. Had my friend, an old mechanic, look at it to check the fluid etc & he told me about the CVT. Been babying it around town w/no problems & shop couldn't duplicate. I was quoted $3k for the new tranny also. He'd read that I was lucky to get this far with it because his research came up with the same problems prior owners have have and at much less mileage than I have. Taking it home to IL today & going to baby it all the way up to Flagstaff, after that I should be good. Wish me luck! :worried:
  • tayricochettayricochet Member Posts: 1
    2007 Caliber RT AWD just hitting 93k and my transmission is slipping during mid drive and almost caused me an accident. I went from about 45 mph to about 15 in a second and engine was screaming at redline. Tires screamed and almost ate the steering wheel while I'm sure the guy behind me was probably ready to beat me for thinking I brake checked him. My last Ford Explorer transmission made it to 200k and my engine bit it at 300k. I've been taking care of this dodge better than I did the ford. Real let down.
  • john2597john2597 Member Posts: 1
    I am driving a 2010 caliber with a CVT transmission, And if I am driving between 15-20 miles an hour AND 1.5-2k RPM the transmission starts to vibrate violently, so much so that the last time I was driving, both myself and the passenger where concerned. Whats strange is that if I am driving at 10 or 30 mph at 1.5k RPM, its fine.
  • spencercarneraspencercarnera Member Posts: 1
    just bought 2007 dodge caliber R/T, with 85,301 miles on it. when I drove it for the first time, I realized a funny clicking noise coming from the transmission. figured that was just how this tranny sounded. now at 89xxx miles, the transmission just completely failed, how some really lowed clunking noised on my way home, with some other noises, onces I got to my road which is up hill, the gears were skipping, and falling out, like I was in neutral. I managed to make it to my mailbox, then once I started down my private drive, it completely stopped working. would no longer commence forward. I can go in reverse, but not forward. this sucks, because I don't have a lot of money, have a second child on the way, and its my birthday on the 20th. just my luck. all I gotta say, don't by this car what so ever!
  • laineyg1laineyg1 Member Posts: 1
    2012 DODGE CALIBER AUTOMATIC CVT TRANSMISSION... STARTED HAVING A HIGH PITCHED SQUEAL IN THE CAR, THOUGHT IT WAS A BELT ISSUE. I HAD MY LANDLORD WHO IS A MECHANIC TAKE A LOOK AT IT. HE TELLS ME I WILL BE NEEDING A TRANSMISSION IF HE IS RIGHT BUT IT SHOULD GET ME TO WORK THE NEXT MORNING I GET AROUND THE CORNER FROM MY PLACE AND NOPE.. NO FORWARD AND JUST ENOUGH REVERSE TO GET ME BACK TO CURBSIDE TO PARK... FOOT FLAT TO THE FLOOR GOING NOWHERE... DEALER TELLS ME FOR SURE NEW TRANSMISSION MINIMUM 4 GRAND TO REPLACE NOW I AM LOOKING FOR A USED TRANSMISSION TO FIX THE CAR APPARENTLY THE CVT TRANSMISSIONS ARE FAMOUS FOR NOT DOING WELL AND ARE EXPENSIVE TO REPLACE.
  • muterspgmuterspg Member Posts: 1
    2011 Dodge Caliber automatic CVT transmission. I have the same problem as laineyg1. Very frustrating when I only have 75,000 miles on my transmission.
  • backyrdmech1backyrdmech1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber RT AWD it has 152k miles and now I'm finding that my transmission while traveling at high speeds over heats goes into limp mode. I have resolved the issue by replacing the "AUXILLARY OIL COOLER ". It is attached to the transmission right under the battery. It has 4 lines, 2 running to the trans radiator and 2 running back to the transmission. Guess what no more overheating the part cost me $100.00 after market brad new $300 plus. So replace transmission filters there are 2 of them gasket and fill what was drained.
  • yjocelynyjocelyn Member Posts: 1
    I am livid. I have a 2012 Dodge Caliber POS and was driving home 10 days ago and heard this terrible clunking noise that sounded like marbles. No lights went on, no warnings, not my fault. I always get my oil changed and this happened out of the blue. I had the thing towed to my mechanic whom I have been taking all my cars to, and he said the transmission fell apart from the inside out. The car has 68,000 and I am still making car pymts. I have no other cars and this will cost thousands to repair, the POS isn't even worth the cost of the repair. Where is the class action suit?"? These people need to be sued!!!! I don't even know what I'm going to do at this point.
  • jrintz1958jrintz1958 Member Posts: 1
    class action.. count me in.. let me tell you about my 2008 Caliber R/T all wheel drive, second owner, first was an employee care drove from Detroit MI to Chicago IL.. oh I love it but is costing me an fortune the past 2 years.. alternator w/ belt .. all springs/shocks.. control arm w/ball joint right lower.. rear tow links, control arm/ball joint left lower, sensor for tires.. tie rod right outer, stabilizer bar link front.. lower control arm/bushing left lower.. upper control arms left & right rear.. complete brakes w/calipers.. RACK AND PINION BAD AGAIN 10.20.17( replaced twice 6.20.16 & 9.26.15).. and CROSS MEMBER FRAME corroded w/ hole rusted through (thank God I got the letter this part had warranty extended for 10 years, got a letter in mail for it) and now trans is slipping UGH!
  • Jay2074Jay2074 Member Posts: 1
    hey my car is doing something like this it will not go pass 40 and then if i stop no acceleration when i press gas pedal