Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• kplacerkplacer Member Posts: 97
    The universal home remote a.k.a. garage door opener is part of the Comfort and Convenience package. Did you order that? If not, you didn't buy a garage door opener.
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    For the price you are paying most of those options should not be options. My 2002 minivan ($35,000 cdn, $28,000 us) had the homelink (with garage door opener) as stardard. Maybe you can add it later, in case you forgot.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    so since your minivan also came with 3 rows of seating I suppose you are also mad that the CTS don't either. :P
  • mike241mike241 Member Posts: 5
    I too have a fully loaded CTS with AWD. With a little under 700 miles on the odometer and mostly city driving, I have been averaging 16.8 MPG. As a comparison, I also drive a MB CLS with a 304 HP V8 that averages 19.8 MPG in mostly city driving. For what it's worth. I do love the CTS though as does my wife.
  • jharoldjharold Member Posts: 11
    On November 28th I requested the Cadillac dealer to order me the DI, white diamond, performance collection package, luxury level one package, wood trims, spare tire and chrome wheels. The dealer called on December 26th and said the car would be delivered within a week. I asked him for the vin number so I could verify the order. When I went on line and checked the vin, I found that the dealer had added the performance luxury package which included the luxury level 2 package that I didn’t want and had left off the chrome wheels which I did want. I called the dealer and asked him about the order and he said "wait until the car is delivered and see what’s not correct". I did not want to wait. The next day I went to the dealer with a copy of the window summary showing what would be on the car. The dealer tried to convince me that the only way to get the luxury level package was to take the performance luxury package. After I showed them one of their own brochures with luxury level one as a stand alone option they dropped that argument. I told them I wanted to reorder the car. The dealer responded “they were too busy and I would have to come back next week to reorder”. I said no thanks and left. The next day, December 28th, I went to another dealer across town and ordered another CTS. I'm hoping this time they get it right!!!
  • arby1arby1 Member Posts: 83
    Are you walking away from your deposit ?
  • jharoldjharold Member Posts: 11
    No, got my deposit back...
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    The sales brochure lists the Universal home remote as part of the Luxury Level II package, which is also a part of the Premium Luxury Collection. If your car contains either of those options the remote should have been included. If not, you might try to purchase the necessary parts from your dealers parts department and have it installed by an independent auto electrician.
    Does anyone know what is behind that little square on the passenger side of the front bumper?
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    It's there because GM evidently plans to market the car in Europe, where it's required that all cars have a solid towing point available through the bumper. It shows the location where an eye bolt can be screwed into the chassis so the car can be safely pulled when it's wrecked or stuck. Once you start looking, you'll see there's something similar on all European cars.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • wacojohnnywacojohnny Member Posts: 8
    I picked up my CTS on November 13 2007.It has AWD,DI,performance brakes,18" wheels,Crystal Red,spoiler,mesh grille,It now has 2000 miles on it,both highway and NYC driving.I cannot find anything wrong.everything works as it should.I did have to put after market trim on the sides(should have came with the car standard).the car is without a doubt the best I have ever owned.the quality is top notch.Its quiet and powerful,and gets an average 16.8 mpg on regular gas.the moon roof and shade seem fine to me,I know it was a concern to some.I agree Cadillac has come up with the Car of the year,well done
  • cptsullycptsully Member Posts: 18
    Hello Waco-

Congrats on your car- I love mine too!

Just want to ask though...you mention a "mesh grille". What do you mean? Like the kind on the CTS-V? Was that standard for you, or did you put it on? And what kind of trim on the sides? Got any pics?
    I have about 600 miles on my car . I noticed from day one a rattle from the passenger side of the car . Anyone notice this , or any other types of rattles . I have the sport suspension .
  • knotemknotem Member Posts: 62
    Arby 1, I've test driven a fully loaded CTS in September with DI/auto, panoramic sunroof and all season 18" tires. When my son was driving it, I was in the back seat and I felt and heard rattle in the back, I didn't feel it or hear it while I was driving. I thought that was my son pushing the power too hard.
  • jdavis12jdavis12 Member Posts: 19
    My neighbor (who by the way couldn't resist the urge to park one of these babies in his garage after seeing mine) had some rattle issues. He has the AWD regular engine but the rattles were limited to the sunroof (fixed) and currently in the rear near the speaker area - nothing external.
    I have subtle vibrations coming from the window control panel of both doors when the audio bass is vibrating a certain way - and with my music choices, it should not be an issue. I do have the 5:1 surround that pushes the bass up front.
    I don't have a sunroof or AWD . I first thought that it was the loose buckle of the seatbelt hitting the door , but I heard it even after buckling it in . I am thinking that it is located in the B pillar which houses the seatbelt retraction mechanism . I also noticed a vibration today , for the first time , which I guess did come from the radio bass . I don't have the surround sound .
    I will have someone drive me around so that I can be a passenger and pinpoint the rattle . Thanks for the two posts .
  • ctshadafloodctshadaflood Member Posts: 21
    I also have the sport suspension and at times with the harder ride with the low profile tires, you can get that jolt to create a rattle. I found mine to be on the passenger side doors. Try some lube on the rubber gaskets on both doors. Mine went away. I did have to stick the tech in the back seat as i was driving, but together we did find the problem. Good luck
  • cosmo13cosmo13 Member Posts: 31
    Was the mesh grille standard?
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    More than likely a dealer-installed thing. Well, at least that's better than the vinyl roof I saw on a '08 CTS last month. :cry:
    Thanks . I will try it . I have always gotten the FE2 sportier suspension on my cars and I never had a problem where the tightness would create a rattle . I hope it works . By "tech in the back seat ", do you mean that you brought it to the dealer and a service tech took a test ride with you ?
  • waydownwaydown Member Posts: 9
    So, after being completely jealous of all you CTS owners out there, I've decided to take the plunge, but was hoping all you fellow enthusiasts could give me a little advice. First off, I am really a fan of manual transmission. Is manual transmission available with Direct Inject? I see that it is NOT available with AWD. This is going to be my first luxury sedan purchase, so I am not sure if I am going to see much defference between DI or straight V6. Seems everyone is going DI, especially considering it's only an extra $1k. Still worth it? What about AWD? Is it worth giving up the control of manual trans? In my experience, it seems the more complex the car, the more things that can go wrong. And once last question (sorry for the barrage)... can someone explain why ordering custom from the dealer is cheaper than buying off the lot?

Thanks, folks. Happy cruisin'.
    What kind of lube should I use ? WD-40 spray ,mineral oil , silicone or is there a specific type of lube that won't hurt rubber gaskets around doors ?
    I think that you will notice a 50 HP difference . AWD is important if you drive in snow or rain . The automatic is much smoother than the manual so I would test drive the manual to see if you like it . It should not be cheaper ordering than taking from the lot since dealers are usually happy to unload a vehicle from inventory . It is possible in this case where the CTS is in high demand , that the dealers are selling every vehicle that they have in stock and are commanding a high price . in that case , by ordering one , they don't lay out any money up front , and are more ready to give you a break .
  • adamg2adamg2 Member Posts: 12
    Waydown:

I have a 6-sp non-DI CTS with the FE2 suspension. In terms of the DI, that is pretty much a non-brainer if it is within your budget (not the case with me :( ). The manual transmission certainly requires some getting used to due to the odd clutch feel, the position of the armrest, and the proximity between the brake pedal and the clutch. However, as long as I am wearing narrow shoes, its not too problematic. If you insist on having a clutch (as I do), I recommend the manual. If not, the car is definitely superior in automatic.
    Makes sense. I did also read about the poor arm-rest positioning for the manual tranny, and since I live in Brooklyn, we do tend to get an occasional snow shower or two ;-). Perhaps worth giving up my obsession with Manual, and going for an AWD. Thanks so much for the responses.
    I have a 07 STS with the regular V6 and being mine has AWD and is heavier than the CTS I have still be completely satified with the power of the engine. I think it is 265hp where the DI I believe is 306hp. The extra power is always nice but not needed for me. Of course there are those out there that will say I'm crazy for saying this but that is why different engines are offered. There is a need/want for the extra ponies. As far as the AWD, I'd give up the manual in a heartbeat for AWD. If you live where there is snow or ice to me its needed and fun besides. When the light turns green and those big SUV's pull away from the light in the snow waiting to look in the mirror and see how far they left the 2 wheel drive people (I know I did the same thing with my Trailblazer) and then look out there side window and see me right beside them they just freak out. Its great and I don't miss my Trailblazer at all. The bigger V6, it's up to you, but don't even think about it. Go with AWD, the handling anytime of year is great.
  • tubabilltubabill Member Posts: 2
    Hi All:
    In California it's illegal to mount the suction cup appartus for my Garmin 650 nuvi to the windshield. My only other alternative is to dash mount the unit. Has anyone dealt with this issue in their '08 CTS, and what did you do to solve the problem?

Thanks!
    I'm not a lawyer, but in reading the Calif. vehicle code sect. 26708(b)3 you are allowed to obstruct a 5" square in the lower left corner of the windshield, or a 7" square in the lower right corner. So if your navigation unit is less than 5" square you might be able to affix it to the windshield there. But don't call me if you get stopped and can't convince the officer. :)

edit: The code speaks of 'obstructing the drivers clear view'. If the unit is mounted low enough that it only obstructs the view of the hood, and not the road, is it still illegal?

You might have to consult a lawyer for this. Good luck.
  • gottaviogottavio Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased a fully loaded 2008 CTS -
    but the dealer says there are no body
    side moldings that are available for the 2008.
    (2007 was the last year for moldings) --
    Cadillac-- why did you stop making the
    CTS with body side moldings???
    I am worried that my new car
    will get banged around--
    Anyone know of any options for
    side moldings for the 2008 CTS???
    I would love the moldings to
    match the color of my new car----
    Thanks!
  • briantucsonbriantucson Member Posts: 23
    My advice is to move. Leave the People's Republik of Kalifornia behind you. Bring your loved ones (including the CTS) with you. :)
    Hi Brian, just where is your paradise? :confuse: (Arizona?)
  • briantucsonbriantucson Member Posts: 23
    Paradise can be best found on tropical islands, but work is dicey...unless you sell straw hats to tourists.

I live in Tucson, Arizona (not a native, but I like it). Just finished washing the CTS on my driveway in the middle of January. I don't miss MN or ND too much.

Although we have a lot of Kalifornia refugees moving here (and bringing some of their politics into the picture), there is still respect for individual property here. Unfortunately, like most of the country, there are a growing number of nanny-laws being passed (mostly against smokers). Not a smoker myself, but whatever happened to letting people live the life they choose? Were I a business owner, why should the gov't not let me have a restaurant that lets people smoke? Let the patrons vote with their feet and their $$. Sorry, but I digress.

Back to autos, I think many would be surprised what you can put a AZ license plate on and drive on the streets. Quads (Polaris) for instance. I've driven alongside 4WD pickups where I was literally looking up at the driveshaft.

All I'm saying is Give Liberty a Chance.

Anyone know whether Edmunds has a political board where I could vent?
    Aridzona is a very nice place to visit, except in July and August. I've been in Phoenix and Flagstaff many times in the last few years, both for business and pleasure. I've also been in Tucson two or three times. As for the non-smoking laws here in California, I think a lot of cooks and waitress's are happier and healthier for it.

I'm all for liberty, but it's amazing how exercising one's liberty can interfere with someone else's liberty, and that is why we have laws to clarify what liberties are permitted.
    I bought a Nav Mat dash mounting unit . It cost me $25 . It is weighted , and you put it on the dash , and attach your unit to it . In NYC , if the crooks on the street see a suction cup or finger prints on the windshield , they will break in to your car to steal the GPS .
  • jpennjpenn Member Posts: 68
    Well gang, it's finally here. Check out the Edmunds cover story for the first official posts and pictures of the CTS Coupe Concept. In a word, AWESOME !! It's a lot different than I expected: 2+2, very rakish ie: fastback and much "classier" than the sedan.

Still no word on when it will be released or how much it will cost. Let's hope soon and not a whole lot more than the sedan.

Ohh baby.
  • wacojohnnywacojohnny Member Posts: 8
    the mesh grille was a dealer installed item,looks like the V-series.Britetrim has them.I bought the side moldings from them and they are great.$130 they were getting around $600 for the grille
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    I didn't think it was possible to make the CTS sedan and even the V-series look a bit sedate. The coupe just outdid them both. A V-series coupe will be absolutely killer. If GM is thinking clearly, we'll see the coupe by January as an early '10, a few months after the '09 V-series sedan gets delivered. Then a V-series coupe comes in the fall of '09 as a proper '10 model. If I were GM, I'd play the Nissan model and kick the horsepower of the coupe up a notch over the sedan...try to do it naturally aspirated without getting into the cost of forced induction. Since we're not going to get a V8 next-gen Northstar in this car after all, the current V6 will have to turn a few new tricks.
  • jpennjpenn Member Posts: 68
    If this Caddy CTS Coupe really is a concept then they will most likely br tweaking it before production. While an in person inspection might change my thinking, I would suggest moving the C pillar in about an inch and a half and run an edge from the taillight to the beginning of the C pillar where it meets the side window thus creating a small fender area rather than a solid line from the roof down. There are so many pluses to this car that I'd be more than happy to take it as is. The fact that they only cut off 2 inches makes it a truly full size coupe rather than a miniature of the sedan. Also the 2+2 design of the interior is a real pleasant surprise. My guess would be that the production model will have a more sedate and luxurious interior and the sharp edged design of the rear will be muted. somewhat.
    When pricing out the 2008 CTS on edmunds.com trying to figure out the "True-Value", it says that AWD is not available with the Premium Luxury Collection. Any ideas why not? Seems like pricing those options individually is almost twice as expensive. :mad:
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    cadillac.com DOES allow you to select the premium luxury collection and AWD. Edmunds is not always current with their selections. They were about three weeks late on the price increase.
  • alan51462alan51462 Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 CTS has been in the shop over 9 days in less than 3 months of ownership and Cadillac expects me to pay user fees/taxes on the loaner car I am driving while they are trying to fix mine. Ride and sound system great. Cheapskates at GM don't make a rear view camera available (Accord has one) nor are fog lights without paying thousands extra. BOO GM. I wany my money back.
    So why has it been in the shop for 9 days. Did you back into something and now blamming GM for not putting in a backup camera. Did someone twist your arm and force you to buy that CTS. Why didn't you just buy the Accord with the backup camera and you would hav saved yourself a lot of money. As Paul Harvey says, I'd like to hear the rest of the story. :P
  • stoneybrokestoneybroke Member Posts: 83
    I have the garmin 660 unit. I use the "beanbag" mount that sits on the dash, It is very stable, easy to remove and foils the BMW (Break my Windshield ) people.
    Awesome news. Thanks for the reply.

:)
  • ctshadafloodctshadaflood Member Posts: 21
    A point of interest with those who have the sunroof. My last 04 CTS had a flood with the rear port being clogged and water entered the trunk big time. This 08 had a clog on the front left drain. I seen a few drops of water under the parking brake. The problem was corrected before it became bigger. But how after 5 years do we still have this happening???????????????????????
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    "When pricing out the 2008 CTS on edmunds.com trying to figure out the "True-Value", it says that AWD is not available with the Premium Luxury Collection."

I tried a couple of minutes ago, & Edmunds.com gave me a price on the 3.6 DI with Premium Luxury and AWD.
    Yeah... it prices it out. What threw me for a loop was the description of the AWD option says it's not available with the Premium Luxury Collection:

MX7 All Wheel Drive
    NOT AVAILABLE with PDQ, Y41, Y43.

"PDQ" being the Premium Luxury Collection.