Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Clutch Issues

2»

Comments

• reuserreuser Member Posts: 8
    I have the same issue with the clutch. I called the dealer mechanic and he told me it was maybe the leaf springs (!), but I told him it felt like the pedal. I'm taking it in for the carpet recall soon and I'll have them look at the clutch. It started at about 6,000 miles. I'll keep you posted.
  • jmills1984jmills1984 Member Posts: 1
    i have an 08 tacoma crew cab 4x4. and i would agree. check your local lemon laws. mine has 66,000 miles now and ive been through 3 clutches and 4 throw out bearings. ive been throuhg all the dealerships around western nc and they have all tried to fix it and im still fighting it. unfortunetly i didnt know of the nc lemon laws until i was already over the mileage limits. now i am stuck with it. so have fun listening to all the squealing chirping and grinding i know i am. hahaha
  • runningboy150runningboy150 Member Posts: 11
    Jmills1984 - If you have proof that your truck started having issues before the warranty was expired, you SHOULD still be able to apply for the lemon law. Have you called your state's Lemon Law office? My suggestion to you is to make copies of all your reciepts, and ANY proof that you have where you took the truck to the dealer and they 'addressed the issue' but didn't actually perform work. If you have all the documentation they should still be able to help. Please feel free to email me! I really like helping out with all of this, and am VERY educated on it all. Runningboy150@aol.com
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    edited November 2010
    And Toyota's defense will be that you had the 4WD system engaged too often on tractive surfaces and you will not be able to prove otherwise. Throw-out bearings are replaced along with clutch disc as a matter of standard procedure (while you're in there, etc.) so other than the extra one they may not have failed.
  • runningboy150runningboy150 Member Posts: 11
    That 'defense' from toyota never came up. The only thing they told me was that if they found a lot of GA Clay in the under carriage and clutch assy they wouldn't be able to do anything. Toyota already repurchased my truck from me, and I was over the warrantied mileage as well. The guy from Toyota Corp who came to finialize the deal, and give me my check said that he's still taking trucks from the 1996 model series that never recieved recall notices. They're filed under the lemon law for rust issues. So it's really not to late. You just have to be willing to do a lot of work, and deal with more BS. But Toyota paid the truck off, and I got $7500.00 back for work that I put into the truck and intrest that I paid from Jan 08 until April 2010.
  • reuserreuser Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2010
    I just had my 2010 Tacoma access cab manual 4wd into the dealer on the floor mat recall thing, and told them about two other things I've noticed. I've heard a clicking sound at the top of the clutch pedal when I'm depressing it or letting it out, and there is also a clicking sound in the heater blower at low fan speed. They reproduced both and replaced the clutch pedal assembly and will replace the blower motor in the heater. I will have made three long trips to the dealer and spent many hours waiting for repairs, all for stuff that is THEIR problem on a truck with less than 12,000 miles!!!!!
  • mr62mr62 Member Posts: 1
    I've been waiting 6 weeks for them to get the parts to fix the blower motor on the heater of a 2010 Toyota Tacoma. I received a message from Toyota saying they "expect" the parts to be shipped to their parts depot the end of next week ( 4 Feb 2011). They've been telling me "next week" since 20 December 2010. I waited two months for them to fix the floor mat problem due to lack of parts as well. I seriously doubt I'll ever even consider buying another Toyota
  • thespivasthespivas Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I was just wondering if you have contacted Toyota Corporation and expressed concerns of a recall with the Tacomas? I have a 2008 Tacoma 4X4 and 1/25/2010 the clutch assembly was replaced along with the flywheel being re surfaced. Toyota covered this under warranty. I put it in the service dept for repairs yesterday 3/1/2011 they called me that afternoon and told me the clutch, throw out bearing and flywheel all were once again needing to be replaced, only this time warranty would not cover it. My cost is $1,300.00. My concern is that it will happen again and again. I have read on this forum where over and over this is happening to Tacoma owners but if you call Toyota Corp they will tell you that there have been no other reports with this problem from consumers. The only way they can research a recall is if consumers call in. I have an active case number with this concern and am hoping that they will cover my repairs because of defect. If you have not called them please do so they can see that there are other owners having these issues. The number is 1-800-331-4331.
    Thank you,
    Belinda
    Hi, I was just wondering if you have contacted Toyota Corporation and expressed concerns of a recall with the Tacomas? I have a 2008 Tacoma 4X4 and 1/25/2010 the clutch assembly was replaced along with the flywheel being resurfaced. Toyota covered this under warranty. I put it in the service dept for repairs yesturday 3/1/2011 they called me that afternoon and told me the clutch, throwout bearing and flywheel all were once again needing to be replaced, only this time warranty would not cover it. My cost is $1,300.00. My concern is that it will happen again and again. I have read on this forum where over and over this is happening to Tacoma owners but if you call Toyota Corp they will tell you that there have been no other reports with this problem from consumers. The only way they can research a recall is if consumers call in. I have an active case number with this concern and am hoping that they will cover my repairs because of defect. If you have not called them please do so they can see that there are other owners having these issues. The number is 1-800-331-4331.
    Thank you,
    Belinda
    Hi, I was just wondering if you have contacted Toyota Corporation and expressed concerns of a recall with the Tacomas? I have a 2008 Tacoma 4X4 and 1/25/2010 the clutch assembly was replaced along with the flywheel being resurfaced. Toyota covered this under warranty. I put it in the service dept for repairs yesturday 3/1/2011 they called me that afternoon and told me the clutch, throwout bearing and flywheel all were once again needing to be replaced, only this time warranty would not cover it. My cost is $1,300.00. My concern is that it will happen again and again. I have read on this forum where over and over this is happening to Tacoma owners but if you call Toyota Corp they will tell you that there have been no other reports with this problem from consumers. The only way they can research a recall is if consumers call in. I have an active case number with this concern and am hoping that they will cover my repairs because of defect. If you have not called them please do so they can see that there are other owners having these issues. The number is 1-800-331-4331.
    Thank you,
    Belinda
    Thank you,
    Belinda
    Thank you,
    Belinda
    Thank you,
    Belinda
    edited March 2011
    Since the clutch assembly is considered a normal wear item, like brakes, tires, etc, I find myself surprised it was repaired/replaced under warranty.....were I a service manager, absent TSB coverage, that would have NEVER happened.

"..all needed to be replaced.."

ODO mileage..?

"...my concern is that it will happen again and again.."

Your concern is warranted, IT WILL...!!

But only every 30,000 to 80,000 miles.

~30,000 if the clutch is put to severe use, lots of 4WD mode use, especially if that sometimes involves unwarranted, inadvertent, use on tractive conditions.

~50,000 if you must endure winters in say, Cut bank MT.

~80,000 if the 4WD mode is rarely used, say use in the Seattle area and ONLY when warranted.

Even less than 30,000 if 4X4 mode is often used, NEEDED for use, regardless of conditions.
    "..over and over this is happening to Tacoma owners.."

Yes, no doubt.

My judgment is that these days very few buyers, the majority actually, of true 4X4 vehicle owners have a good understanding of just what the "PART-TIME" descriptive words truly mean. This "pool" of knowledge has been contaminated, HIGHLY contaminated, by the unwarranted use of the 4WD term when what the vehicle really, ACTUALLY, is, is a R/awd or a patently UNSAFE F/awd system. Basically an AUTOMATIC "AWD" system, or even worse an AWD system which must be "enabled" by the driver.

In the normal sense a driver enabled "AWD" system would be a good thing, but in this case that only leads to the confusion between enabling an "AWD" system vs switching a "part-time" 4WD system "on".

Confusion between the 2 can easily lead to inadvertent, IMPROPER, engagement of part-time 4WD systems wherein damage to the drive train might be the direct result, SOON.

Obviously the dealers, and most especially the dealer salespersons, are of NO HELP. Dealer sales and therefore profits are dependent on the cloud of confusion remaining as to what constitutes a true 4WD system, "PART-TIME" 4WD system, vs one of these mostly nonfunctional and patently unsafe (in actual adverse roadbed conditions) F/awd systems.

How many buyers today purchase one of these patently UNSAFE F/awd vehicles thinking they are getting adverse roadbed performance equivalent to an actual 4WD system..?
  • drs0118drs0118 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2008 toyota tacoma 4x4.i changed the bed of the truck when i got it to put a toolbox bed on it.i snow plow and fixed that all way.i am on my fourth clutch.this last one has less then a thousand miles on it......i contacted toyota and they said since i altered the truck they couldnt do anything.they are making the clutches differently now.i had a 1996 tacoma 4x4 and it had over 196,000 miles on it and i snow plowed with it and i never had this problem.any suggestions.
  • samr2samr2 Member Posts: 3
    2007 Tacoma ,4cyl , stick, 42K, truck was not started for over a month, sat in garage. First time I started it , clutch pedal went to floor and stayed there, I pulled pedal up and depressed it a few times and it was ok for about a month. Today I depressed clutch and pedal went to floor and stayed there again. I pulled it up but now it keeps going to floor and not returning. I tried to shift when pedal was at floor, but made grinding sound of clutch not engaging. Anyone had this problem? I never had any problem before it was idle for that month. Also, anyone know where I might find service manual online and diagram of clutch mechanism? Thanks Sam
  • samm43samm43 Member Posts: 195
    While fairly unusual for a vehicle only 4 years old, this sounds like a clutch slave cylinder issue. Sometimes quick lube shops leave a lid off reservoirs, and just like the brake mastercylinder, the clutch uses brake fluid which is designed to absorb water. (even moisture out of the air if cap is not in place properly or left off too long during servicing). My guess, is this might have caused this issue, but more probably was just a faulty seal within the clutch slave cylinder.

The cheapest (temporary, or permanent, but not guaranteed to work given what we know so far over the internet) fix would be to simply flush the old fluid out by gravity syphoning the old fluid out and bleed the air out after adding new fluid. The service manual and a friend can help you with this procedure. It is exactly like bleeding air from a wheel cylinder on your brakes only simpler as there is just the one slave cylinder to deal with.

It is surprising you had success with the first pumping after the one month sit. I do suspect a bad seal. (dried out and prematurely failed due to the one month sit). So with this in mind, you probably need a new slave cylinder or internal kit. Not expensive. If you add fluid now, it may pump again enough to get you to the garage without a tow if you don't want to tackle this relatively easy job yourself. I say that, not being sure how hard the slave cylinder is to get at on your truck.

Sam
    Thanks for the information. Yeah, I am thinking the problem was caused by the truck sitting in the garage for over a month. I had no issues at all prior to that. A few more questions: Where is the clutch reservoir located? I would like to check the level but don't know where it is. Does this take a special fluid or brake fluid? Is the slave cylinder located near the clutch pedal or in the engine compartment? I don't have a manual. Is there anyplace online you know of where I could see a diagram of the clutch mechanism?

Thanks again, your help is greatly appreciated

Sam
  • samm43samm43 Member Posts: 195
    You're welcome, but I can't help you on all detail points here as I have never had a Tacoma, but I can help in a general way as most setups are much the same. It will use brake fluid. I am all but certain of this. I can't see any reason Toyota would use anything but that. Probably a DOT 3 or 4 but check in your owner's manual as it will likely state that and the quantity. It will be very little, only few oz. The reservoir (atop the clutch master cylinder) is most likely on the firewall or fender in the engine bay. It will be very small so easy to miss. My guess is about 1.75" in dia. and 3" high? There will be a line that goes down to the transmission. Follow that line and it will take you to the slave cylinder which is usually attached right on the transmission. It will have a pushrod and/or lever (may not be noticeable on the exterior tho) that activates the clutch inside. Your actual problem could be in the slave or master cylinder.

I forgot to Google, but you should be able to. I would start by Googling:
    - online shop manual for 2007 Tacoma
    - 2007 Tacoma diagram of clutch slave cylinder
    - 2007 Tacoma forums - help with clutch slave cylinder diagnosing/replacement

- etc

I did find this link that will help you understand how they work and it has some pics.

http://www.hurst-drivelines.com/files/Clutch_Linkage_Installation_Tips.pdf

Sam
    Thanks for you help, Sam. I ended up replacing both the master and slave cylinders. I think the problem was the Master cylinder,but for an extra $20 figured I change both just in case. Was a relatively simple job. Removing the master was a job, but installing both took about 1.5 hours. Working ok, now, Again, thanks for your help

Sam
  • rondean1958rondean1958 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 tacoma 4x4 5 speed truck reg. cab,back in january I had a certified mechanic to install a new clutch it lasted 5 weeks,it broke around the flange of the center of it.So they put another new one in,it lasted 8 months and broke in the same place,are there any recalls on this clutch,it's getting expensive replacing these clutches,this time I had a different brand from napa put in.We have never had this truck off road.I have pictures if interested.
    I suspect you mean the pressure plates are cracking around the crankshaft mounting bolt pattern. Common problem when drive trains are often overstressed. Are you by chance sometimes running, inadvertently or unintentually, with the center diff'l locked on a non-slip surface...?

Is there a chance that when the first clutch was replaced your Tacoma is now always running with the center diff'l locked. Wheel "hop", tire scrubbing in low speed turns...?
  • rondean1958rondean1958 Member Posts: 2
    Clutch broke around center just outside of springs along the thin band that goes around the clutch.Driven in 2 wheel high.rarely ever use 4 wheel drive
  • ahinojosa83ahinojosa83 Member Posts: 2
    Seven days ago I purchased my 05 Tacoma from a major dealership (Checkard Flag Toyota) in Virginia Beach, VA. Yesterday, I started my truck to warm it up, everything is fine...I come back out of the house and I hear a slight squeaky taping sound coming from under my truck...wtf, I think in my head. As I start driving in and out of gears on the way up, I notice that the sound goes in and out as the clutch pedal is pushed in and let out. So I know for sure that Its a clutch issue. Today, I called the dealership that I just purchased the vehicle from with a clean bill of health. They tell me to bring it in. I take it in, I talk with the mechanic shop foreman there, after doing a walk around and listening to the engine and checking all the belts, he tells me it's my clutch release bearing. He says that it's not a mechanical issue and that there is nothing to worry about...WTF...I know better I'm from a family that fixes cars. I tell him, well, I just can't live with the annoying squeak sound. It's unbearable...and very irritating. He says that it's not covered under my extended warranty because it's a manual transmission. WTF I just bought the truck a week ago. It's not even used. I put 10 miles on the thing since I purchased it. Anyone know of a way to get the dealership to fix it. Oh and here's the kicker....the carfax stated that the clutch was replaced along with all the belts by the same dealership...guess they decided to not actually do it..
  • unskinatorunskinator Member Posts: 9
    Sounds like your clutch was not adjusted correctly to start with. clutch is either up or down, dont get going by slipping the clutch.
    Well my 2005, 4,0 6speed stick sport is still doing just fine regarding the clutch. done now over 71000 miles. Clutch dont wear out when u driving it only wears when changing gears, Many people like to "slip the clutch when changing" which will make quick wear on it. Also dont take off on the 2nd just because the 1st is so slow. I am expecting to get another 70000 out of it, and this truck does more than driving to the mall. Tacoma still has issues with frame rust thou but i will deal with that when the sparewheel or the tank falls of. Smile life is short.
  • knowsitallknowsitall Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2012
    A lot of people get one problem and all freaked out that the whole truck is worthless.
    The problem with the Tacoma clutches is now VERY WELL ESTABLISHED. It is a product vendor named LUK. They manufacture SOME of the clutches. Their factory is in Mexico.

In 100% of the cases of clutch slipping, breaking, chattering, or blowing out, the EXISTING clutch is found to be a LUK clutch. When replaced with a high quality JAPANESE MADE AISIN CLUTCH, the problems are corrected PERMANENTLY, or at least for the reasonable lifespan of a clutch, i.e. 100000+ miles.

Despite being through several product revisions, the LUK clutch supplier continues to produce a shoddy product, which is why most of the clutch-related TSB's indicated to replace both the disk and pressure plate with AISIN. Once this is done, there will be no more problems.

The current part numbers for the 4-cyl trucks are 31210-26172 for the pressure plate and 31250-60500 for the clutch disk. I suggest changing out the bearing and machining the flywheel while its all apart, and if the mileage is high, even replacing the rear main seal would be a good idea, especially if it shows any sign of seepage.

It should also be pointed out that changing car brands probably won't help, since LUK manufacturers shoddy clutches for other vendors as well, such as FORD and GM. You certainly won't get a high quality AISIN in a domestic car.
    U got good points. LUK is junk. Maybe mine is the lucky one, knock on wood. Trust me on this. when the clutch goes i will do the work of replacement myself and with Aisin Parts. Smile life is short. And have a cold one, i am.
    ahinojosa83: They either didn't do it, didn't do it properly, or did it fine and put in bad parts. Your issue actually sounds a lot like T-SB-0103-11: http://www.tacomahq.com/861/tacoma-manual-transmission-rattling-noise/

Is it a 4-cyl?
    Actually unskinator, you may already have a perfectly good AISIN clutch in yours. There is no way to tell without taking it apart and looking for the manufacturer's stamp.
  • ahinojosa83ahinojosa83 Member Posts: 2
    Is actually a six speed. But I've been thinking and I'm glad that it's messed up, cause this gives me the perfect motive to get a dual friction clutch...lol, the gf is going to be very happy with the buying this part. Lol
  • sideways4himsideways4him Member Posts: 1
    After reading several of these complaints about being difficult or impossible to get in gear if clutch appears to be working correctly check the detent springs in the side of the tranny. I've fixed several that were hard to get in gear as somehow the springs would bind making it difficult to get in gear or someone had stretched the springs trying to get more detent ??
  • kimmyjo7kimmyjo7 Member Posts: 1
    for the past few months my 2003 toyota tacoma has had a strange sound every once in a while that sounded like a tin can full of coins being tossed around in the engine. finally took it in to the toyota dealer today and discovered a broken clutch spring assembly. going to cost about 1050$ to fix, they have to take out the transmission to get to it. does this price sound about right? ive already given them the go ahead for the repair but im still curious.
    also- ive driven with a clutch my entire life, i know im not that hard on it. the mechanic said that he wasnt sure what caused this. he said the clutch "pad" looked great, which i guess would be more messed up if I were bad at using a clutch?? can anyone tell me how this may have happened so I dont repeat. thx!

Sounds about right.
  • chiledogchiledog Member Posts: 6
    You got the defective LUK clutch. Make sure they install an AISIN as replacement, or it will just happen again. It's not your driving.
    > "the mechanic said that he wasnt sure what caused this."
    That's what he's paid to say about these clutches.
  • jollybilljollybill Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    2006 Toyota Tacoma, 4 cylinder, rear wheel drive 5 speed manual transmission. Last year I had my Tacoma at the dealers for the floor mat recall. When I went to start the truck, the clutch pedal stuck to the floor. Truck wouldn't move. Luckily being at the dealer, I left it with the dealer. Had 46,793 miles on it at the time so they repaired it under warranty and according to my invoice: used 2.3 Tech hours and replaced clutch cover assy and throw out bearing.
    Now 3 days ago and about exactly 12 months and 10,000 miles later, I went to drive the truck. Pushed the clutch pedal in and it stuck to the floor and would not return by itself. Truck would not move. Was not at home so had to have the truck towed to a local repair shop. Called the dealer who did the work last year and now being out of warrany, they said it wasn't covered. I did call National Toyota and got a case number started.
    I am 75 years old and not new to driving vehicles with manual transmissions. All but 4 of the vehicles I have ever owned had manual transmissions and I have never replaced a clutch or throw out bearing. I do not abuse the clutch.
    Any thoughts?
    well i hope they installed u a AISIN clutch as a replacement. The mexican LUK has a very bad rap. Price qouted is OK for the work involved. good luck with new one. My 05 V6 6speed on the stick is still going good with 75000 miles on it so far.
  • jollybilljollybill Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    I'm the owner of the Tacoma with the stuck clutch pedal as detailed above in message #90.
    I got the truck fixed at my local garage mechanic. He diagnosed the problem as the clutch master cylinder. He over nighted a replacement and got it fixed the next day.
    Total cost was about $300.00 which inclded $122.00 for the new master cylinder, 2 hours labor at $78.00 per hour, brake fluids and taxes. Was out of warranty and dealer would have charged me at least that much and I didn't have to have the truck towed at about $100.00 to the dealer where I bought the truck. My local mechanic thought that it was odd that the MC failed that quick.
    Hope this helps someone.
    Jolly
  • skb1323skb1323 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2007 tacoma, and, I hate to confess this, but I kill it with the clutch quite frequently. I have been driving standards for many years now (I've never owned an automatic!) and I have never had this problem before. I actually got the truck from my dad who was getting rid of it to get an automatic (he told me his hip was giving him trouble and he was having problems getting his foot on/off the clutch). I wonder after driving it, if maybe it was less to do with his hip and more to do with the clutch. After checking out the posts here, I see there seem to be a few issues with the clutch. Do you suppose my problem is an early indication of something to come or is there some adjustment I can make that may solve this problem. I'm rather tired of looking like an idiot at traffic lights!!!!
  • 98toyo4xowner98toyo4xowner Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    I have a 98 ex cab 4x4 Last year I had to replace my clutch slave cylinder my pedal was going to the floor all by itself and staying there until I manually pulled it up. After replacement of slave problem was un changed so the master was replaced after which the problem was better but never resolved to my expectation. My clutch / pedal was never the same . about 6 months later i was hearing a lot of squealing noise every time i started to compress the clutch pedal. Now i get the clutch, pressure plate and all that replaced. ( had a clutch kit put in it) the old clutch wasn't even worn out yet it still had a lot of life left. yet every person /place that listened to it diagnosed it the same. At time of clutch replacement my slave cylinder was again replaced the other one was shot . It hadn't been barely 6 months old. Needless to say the clutch pedal still isn't right i took it into a shop they bled the clutch said there was no air in the lines at all. The pedal sill goes down by itself only now it just goes a little ways or it doesn't come back up all the way. Also a new problem of the shifter getting stuck in neutral or in a gear and doesn't want to go into 2nd gear very easy.The clutch wont disengage or at times engage until i shut off engine, or kill it, then start it back up. then it will shift into gear.. WTF is going on here anyone have a clue?
    I'd like to add that I hadn't put 20000 on my truck I actually got the receipts with the truck of the clutch being replaced just before i bought it. 2 clutches 2 slaves and master cylinders in 20000 miles and it still doesn't work right . This is rediculouse!
  • nanrichnanrich Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Tacoma as well and had the same exact issue. Only when Toyota replaced the clutch, it started slipping at approximately 28k - 29k and I was so disgusted and fed up with the service by Toyota that I brought it to my friend's garage who used to work for Toyota and knows them like the back of his hand. When he took the clutch apart to replace it, it was soaked in oil. I had him do the replacement and tried working with Toyota but they wont give me the time of day because I didn't go back to the dealer. Now, 16 mths and another 16k miles (approx.) later.....Slipping again. The clutch was soaked in oil again. There has to be an issue here with the clutch I'm sure. I've driven standards all my life and my mechanic knows his stuff and he was even puzzled when I recently brought it back to him with the clutch slipping again. The truck is an '06 with only 53k miles and I am now on the 4th clutch. The last 2 clutches were like brand new when replaced but had to be replaced because they were SOAKED in oil.
    I think you have on the engine the rear main bearing leak. That would leak straight to the clutch. Have it replaced regardless. My 05 V6 with 6 speed manual and close to 80000 miles is still on its original clutch
    h with no problem.