Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Intrepid Transmission

chaser06chaser06 Member Posts: 2
edited July 2014 in Dodge
I have an 00' Intrepid ES 2.7L that wont shift out of second gear and the speeedometer stopped. I need help. does anyone know whats wrong?

Comments

• tkfitztkfitz Member Posts: 95
    I had the same problem.., Is the "check engine" light on? If so the likely source is a speed sensor. Both sensors swapped out at the dealer cost me about $150.
  • chaser06chaser06 Member Posts: 2
    yeah the check engine light is on as well.. but $150 no a big price to pay thanks for your help!
  • shatteryshattery Member Posts: 1
    need help.
    while driving,the car suddenly stalls. when I pull to the side of the road. I try starting the car and it starts.
    this goes on for about a week until the car will not start at all. I had it towed to a friends house so I could work on it. through trial and error. I found that the wire
    harness that plugs into the coil is bad. got the car running but when I wiggle the wires (not the sparkplug wires)the car starts to act up and stall. how big of a job will this be? and how much money will it take???
    thanks to anyone who wants to respond
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    You've gotten good advice, though replacing the speed sensor on my 2000 ES with the same symptoms was well under $100.
  • dmbrowndmbrown Member Posts: 1
    ;) yeah, man it seems like u have a problem with ur vechicle speed sensor(vss) my car is doin the same thing right now,, and thats thats goin to cause ur prob.. they are like no more then 30$ a peace.. i think u will need to a high and a low, they are located on the drivers side rear of the transmission.
  • dodgeram2dodgeram2 Member Posts: 5
    Yes, I had same problem and took it in because it still had its warranty. The found the valve block bad. now we have transmission leak when it is being driven. no signs in driveway when sitting.
  • mydodgemydodge Member Posts: 1
    Driving down the road car down shifts to 3rd & won't shift back to drive. Put car in neutral & turn engine off & restart then it works fine. I have replaced both of the speed sensors & it still does it.
  • keanijoekeanijoe Member Posts: 5
    Morning...96 Intrepid..3.5L. Installed new tranny. Replaced crank sensor, cam sensor, egr, idle sensor. Car starts but the speedo acts like a tach. The engine surges up and down from idle to about 3000 RPM. When I put the car in drive, it kills the engine..any ideas....thanks....pat
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    idea: Speed sensor in tranny?
  • keanijoekeanijoe Member Posts: 5
    thanks....I've replaced the input and output sensors on the tranny...maybe one of them is bad....
  • dmccord44dmccord44 Member Posts: 1
    Yeah did you ever find out what was wrong with your car? I have a 2000 that does the same thing. I took it to the dealer and they told me they had no clue what was wrong. Please tell me what you found out.
    Thanks
  • sue35sue35 Member Posts: 4
    I am also having trouble with mine its a 94 intrepid.
    it wants to stay in 1st gear, the speedometer doesnt work the gas gauge is messed up. alot wrong. anyway the garage told me something i need a new celluoid for the transmission. I would like to know about how expensive this could be. and exactly what that part does. Thanks in advance to anybody who responds. Im new to this site and forum as of today. MY name is sue im 26 from pa. Thanks again
    Ok so they said after all that there is no problem with the transmission and now there looking into being electrical. apparently the computer says my car is fine.
  • tkfitztkfitz Member Posts: 95
    Have them check the speed sensors. There should be two, replace both even if just one is bad.
    well say they need replaced, about how much would that cost? thanks
  • tyler8tyler8 Member Posts: 1
    could anyone tell me where the transmission speed sensor is located on a 1999 intrepid
    By the sounds of it all our cars are garbage. They initially told me it was something else. Now they say i need a transmission computer but yet they cant seem to find one.?? Im out of my mind. My car has been in the garage for 6 months now. Anyway i will suggest the speed sensor, might as well try. thanks
  • cfazzaricfazzari Member Posts: 77
    My 1999 ES has 169,000 miles on it as of today 12/22/2007. I'm the original owner (although it had 5,300 Dealer Demo Miles on it in July 1999).

All I've ever done to the original engine is Mobil One Oil Changes and tranny fluid drains & filter changes every 20,000 miles.

In my 26 years of driving ONLY American cars, I've never had to replace an engine or tranny on any NEW car I've ever owned. :)

As for the 99 Trep, it still runs like new.

I could not be more proud of this car.
    "My 1999 ES has 169,000 miles on it as of today 12/22/2007. I'm the original owner (although it had 5,300 Dealer Demo Miles on it in July 1999).
    All I've ever done to the original engine is Mobil One Oil Changes and tranny fluid drains & filter changes every 20,000 miles.
    As for the 99 Trep, it still runs like new. I could not be more proud of this car."
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    My '99 ES has only 125,000 on it. I ordered it in 2/99 so that I'd get what I wanted. When it came in (3/99) the window sticker at the top said "Built for MY WIFE'S NAME by Daimler Chrysler". I still have the window sticker. I've used regular oil every 3000 miles and did the transmission about every 15-25,000 miles. Still runs great, my son has it at college. :shades:
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    my 2000 base model Intrepid has a bit over 138,000 miles on it. Original 2.7 and original transmission. I've had the tranny serviced every 30,000 miles, and tried to change the oil every 3-4,000 miles, but confess I've gotten lazy from time to time and gone further than that. :blush:

I used to have a co-worker with a 1994 Eagle Vision. It had the 3.3 V-6. She was always griping about that car being a lemon, but I think the main problem was that she'd have idiot lights come on and the dealer would use that as an excuse to screw her over. The last time I heard mention of that car, it had over 160,000 miles on it, and was on the original transmission. And this was the more trouble-prone, 1994 edition of this transmission!

They still use this 4-speed transmission in 2.7 versions of the Charger/Magnum/300. I wonder how well they're holding up there? The heavier, RWD LX body might put more of a strain on the tranny than the FWD LH did.
  • fljoslinfljoslin Member Posts: 237
    My 1999 ES is a baby at 92K miles. It had 8 miles on it when I purchased it. I had the DS window controller replaced under warranty. The only repairs it has needed were replacement of both front wheel bearings/hubs and the heater blower resistor block. It still has the original battery and we are talking MO, KS and E WA winters. The resistor block has gone out again after about 6 months so the blower fan motor may be bad. I intend to change the timing belt this summer and maybe replace the heater blower motor/assembly and then my soon to be 16 year old son can drive it. I told hime that i would disconnect two of the coils first!!!
    It gets 22 mpg in town, 28-30 mpg on the highway and the car is pretty quick.
    Ours 1999 ES is now at 125,000 miles. Recently had to have some work: new radiator, even though I had replaced the coolant as recommended and the inner tie rod bushings needed to be replaced. The originals were rubber but the replacements were plastic (polyethylene?) or similar harder, more durable stuff. The rubber had worn away. Also needed a brake master cylinder.

Son and I replaced the clips on the driver's side window that had broken in the door.
    I finally have the full size spare that came with the car on as one of the tires matching up the Goodyear with a new one, although not exactly the same tread.

He has it home for spring break, going back to Clemson on Easter. :shades:
  • ladyhawk2ladyhawk2 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone can post some links to fair honest places that sell rebuilt Transmissions for a 2001 Dodge Intrepid? (2.7 block if that matters) Thanks in advance for any help.
  • 93taurus93taurus Member Posts: 6
    This is my first message. I have a 1998 Intrepid 2.7, auto trans, approximately 85,000 miles. I had trouble with the transmission six months ago. It would stall at intersections. I found the problem to be the input sensor. Recently I was leaving my house and when I came to a stop, the check engine light came on. It felt like the lock up torque converter was still applied, as the trans cluncked when the car came to a stop.I checked the input and output sensors, they checked ok. I put a code scanner on it and code P1698, no CCD message from Transmission Control Module.Apparently the TCM and Body Control Module communicate with each other. Also I have no speedometer, tachometer, or temp gauge. I understand that the transmission and body control modules are re-programable. I guess that dealer has a scanner that that can only re-program. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • luvasmylluvasmyl Member Posts: 3
    Hi..Recently while driving my "brake" light comes on while driving. Then the "airbag" light came on while driving. Now, when i frist start driving my car, all the transaxel lights (PRND32) stay on, all the gauges read zero, and the car says its in drive, but wont shift out of 3. Finally when it feels like it, it shifts into drive and all the gauges start working. Any ideas?
    thanks
    ohh by the way...i have a 93 dodge intrepid
  • luvasmylluvasmyl Member Posts: 3
  • jrosenbaumjrosenbaum Member Posts: 2
    OK. I bought a 1995 Intrepid with an automatic transmission from a guy about a week ago. He totally screwed me over and now I have a car that has these problems:
    It runs just fine on city streets as far as I know. After it gets to warmed up (20+ miles on the highway) it won't shift. It runs in 2nd gear (?) only. The problem happens more quickly if the A/c is on but my suspicion is that it is because it gets warmer faster. It also starts overheating once this problem starts.
    A couple things I noticed that are odd:
    When the problem starts the car distinctly pulls to the left.
    The problem seems to only start after braking while driving at highway speeds (this may or may not be true but it is what I've seen)
    Any help would be great!
    Thanks
    Jenny
  • tinkerbell1455tinkerbell1455 Member Posts: 2
    had kinda the same prob with mine i went as far as to replace the computer! all it was a bad battery connection that even ixed my gauges
  • tinkerbell1455tinkerbell1455 Member Posts: 2
    ok so i have had a few problems with my 96 intrepid wich after i spent big money usually turned out to be minor! but now the car makes this wierd humming noise and doesnt want to shift outta 2nd gear (automatic) how ever it isnt constant! it literally changes from one minute to the next while i am driving! what could this be?
  • jrosenbaumjrosenbaum Member Posts: 2
    Bad battery connection? Really???
  • pkrieschenpkrieschen Member Posts: 10
    Have you found out whet the problem is? I have the same thing and had the trans module replaced but that was not it. The deler said the instrument cluster could be bad. They said all the electrical circuits go through the trans module. I disagree. I think it has somthing to do with the body control module since my aiur bag lights are on, the cruse control is out and the fuel gage is screwed up.
  • tmguytmguy Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get your problem resolved? My 2001 does the same thing. We had the control module replaced and it lasted for about a year.
  • 93taurus93taurus Member Posts: 6
    I took the Intrepid to my local Dodge dealer. $1,160 dollars later, all my problems were repaired. It turned out to be a bad PCM causing all those problems.
  • dodge1977dodge1977 Member Posts: 5
    what is PCM my 2002 dodge intrepid ran fine until i put it in crusie control going down the highway and when i came into a town i took it out of cc and came to a red light and the light turned green and my car would not go .it doesnt have reverse at all and if i turn the car off and start it up again it will go in drive for about a block and quit pulling i can keep turning it off and on and it will go again for about a block then out again it has all gears when i do that except reverse can any body help me figure this out its a 4 speed automatic with 2.7 motor
  • m_w06m_w06 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Dodge with transmission problem!!! I have had two transmission in this car and i'm still dealing with it not shifting and the transmission light coming on. It seems to do it now when it get warm and then the light will come on and it wont shift...But if i let it sit for a few hours it will shift again...What could this be??? I feel like everytime i take it into the shop all they are doing is taking my money and not fixing the problem!!!! I need help on this!!!
  • jaded13640jaded13640 Member Posts: 3
    I'm changed the fluid and filter. There was a trouble code that said that the o2 sensor was giving the trans bad info. So I changed it. It still has a catalitic converter code but that shoudlnt' have anything to do with it.

I think it's the trans control module but I don't know where it's located. could someone please tell me where it is so I can change it. I think that's the problem and if not I'll have the trans rebuilt.

The dealer tells me the control module is part of the pcu. and it's 590 bucks exchange. I hate to spend that kind of money on a part that I don't even know what the problem is. Please help

Thanks in advance

Wayne Thomas
    jaded13640@aol.co,
    open hood and look behind the driverside headlight connected to the fender well underneath the cruise control modgel which is a round looking bottle piece of plastic it will be a sliver colored aluminum box thats bolted on with two 10 milameter bolts it will have 3 or 4 electrical plug in jacks depending on the year of the car in it coming from the transmission wiring harness but pulling up the codes the dealer ship told me i had the same problem but i went looking for the problem now my transmission is seating on my work bench in 500 pieces turns out i have stripped out clutch housing flow gears at the cost of 370 bucks so i need a new transmission gonna get one at pull apart for 75 dollars so good luck
    So it wasn't the computer it was the trans?

Did you replace the computer?

And if so it still didn't resolve the problem?

I'm not going to attempt to rebuild myself. I can rebuild rear wheel drive trannys but this front drive stuff is way past my ability.

Thanks,

Wayne Thomas
    jaded13640@aol.com
    Update...

it usually goes into limp mode when coasting to a stop or to slower speeds. Today I tried something new. I would click it into neutral when coming to a stop and it never did it once I tried it that way.

This is sounding like it's in need of a rebuild. It doesn't seem like the computer could do that.

Thoughts?

Wayne
  • zbeeksmazbeeksma Member Posts: 1
    My 99 dodge intrepid gives a check engine light and goes into limp mode at times after either a long drive, or driving in warm weather. After a few starts, the check engine light goes off and the car drives normally. It has OBD codes P0700 and P0605, which seem to say there is an ROM failure in the transmission control module. I can't find the location of the TCM in any repair manual. Where is it, and what does it take to replace it?
  • mayelitemayelite Member Posts: 2
    i have a 03 intrepid police vehicle just started having trouble with the transmission going into limp mode it stays in 2nd gear until i pull the battery cable , how much does it usualy cost to repair this issue ?
    it could be in the brain or the transmission modgel it is a electrical issue usually costing 500 or more you would need to take it to a shop to get it tested to locate the problem and thats more money for testing .these cars are costley i will never get another one....
    "it could be in the brain or the transmission modgel it is a electrical issue usually costing 500 or more you would need to take it to a shop to get it tested to locate the problem and thats more money for testing .these cars are costley i will never get another one."

All these electronically controlled transmissions are costly to repair and that is about the only kind of automatics in any car today.

You might check out Allpar.com in the transmission section. There is great information there to save money when the transmission brain goes.

• spyke357spyke357 Member Posts: 1
    i just got a 1999 dodge intrepid i have a problem someone who had it before i did had it all in pices including the transmission and engine, i have a large round hole in the top of the transmission, and i cant figure out what goes there, im not sure if they gave me all the parts, someone please help me out
  • charlestonmecharlestonme Member Posts: 1
    The (TRS) or Transmission Range Sensor goes ontop of the tranny...Rob.
  • devbrandevbran Member Posts: 1
    Car works in reverse only. Engine stalls when Drive is selected. Sensors???
  • danpa1danpa1 Member Posts: 2
    i have an 98 intrepid and in 4th gear at 45 mph or so the trans bucks does this mean i need it rebuilt
  • danpa1danpa1 Member Posts: 2
    does ne one look at these
  • mayelitemayelite Member Posts: 2
    hey i had the same issue ! i also did the neutral thing to ! your solenoid pack in the trans is bad ! and while your in there have the valvebody replaced in the trans & the fluid pressure switch ! i had mine repaired for under $700 ! and mine is a 03 police intrepid with all the heavy duty goodies ! hope this helps you !
  • blazer6973547blazer6973547 Member Posts: 24
    you may have it fixed by now but in my opinion alot of the cars i had, intrepid sunfire blazer trailblazer echo focus... they buck around that speed if the gas pedal is not in a consistant position, just thought i mention it. if it stops changing at all, then you have a problem...and to other posts, my experience is if it is missing a certain forward gear it is usually a shift selenoid. 25 bucks plus fluid and time
This discussion has been closed.