Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Warranty Questions

backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
Got questions about or an issue with the warranty on the Hyundai Elantra? Tell us about it here!

Comments

• ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    ....are Hyundai's original manufacturer's warranties (specifically on 2005-2006 Elantras and '06 Sonatas) transferable to second owners? I thought I had heard that they weren't, at least at one time, but not sure now.
  • nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    only the original owner gets the 10yr 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. the second owner gets the remainder of the 5 yr 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.
  • joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    unless it is a 2003 or older model and you are a family member, right?
    let me repeat this for everyone:

ONLY THE ORIGINAL OWNER GETS THE 10 YR/ 100,000 MILE POWERTRAIN WARRANTY.

once you transfer the title to a second owner, the only warranty that transfers is the 5 yr/60K.

this is regarless of whether the second owner is a family member or model year.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    this is regarless of whether the second owner is a family member or model year.

That is not correct:

10 YEAR / 100,000 MILES
    POWERTRAIN PROTECTION Covers most engine & transaxle components.
    Covers repair or replacement of powertrain components (i.e. selected Engine and Transmission/Transaxle components), originally manufactured or installed by Hyundai that are defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance. Coverage applies to Original Owner only effective with 2004 Model Year and newer model year vehicles. On 1999-2003 Model Years, coverage applies to Original Owner and immediate family members (i.e. wife, husband, daughter, son, stepdaughter, stepson).

Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5 year / 60,000 mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (i.e. taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.).

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/global/warranty/warranty.aspx
  • joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    Excellent post Backy, as usual. But since yours are usually excellent, that makes excellent your average.
    So, thank you for your average response.
    Yep, I can copy-and-paste from web pages with the best of them. ;)
  • nkmonty1nkmonty1 Member Posts: 33
    Hi
    I am a new member. I have to ask a question and I dont know where to start. I just brought a 2005 Elantra. I know I have the rest of the manufactured warranty. Here is the question. I want to buy an extended warranty and gap insurance where do I start and can you by both at the same time? I have been using all my search engines and I am still trying to figure out who is the best.
    Can anyone please tell me what they think about this? It would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Nan
    some insurance companies sell gap, or you could go back to the dealer (if you bought it from a dealer) and buy the gap from them. Extended warranties can be bought online (just google for it) or they can be purchased from a hyundai dealer (even if you did not buy the car from them).
    The dealer cant offer it to me. Also my insurance company doesnt carry it. Trying to find Gap insurance with extended auto warranties is very hard. I found one but not both together.
    I thank you for your help. Any more ideas I am completely open to ideas.
    Thanks
    nan
  • durtybyrdzdurtybyrdz Member Posts: 11
    Would getting a aftermarket remote starter installed on my new 2007 elantra void the warranty? :confuse:
    Hi,

I really dont know. I think that is something you would really have to ask the dealership. So sorry I cant be of more help.
    Nan
    Can anyone let me know when I do my 45,000 check up do I have to bring the car to the dealership or can I bring it to my mechanic? Also how much does this one run about.
    Thanks for your answers.
    Nan :shades:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can look up approximate costs here: Maintenance Schedules. I've heard they sometimes run a little low, but that will give you an idea.
    Dear Pat
    Thank you for you help. I appreciate your time. I hope it is cheaper then what I read. Do you know if I have to take it to the dealership or can I use my own mechanic? I hope I can use my own mechanic because it will probably be cheaper then the dealership.
    Have a nice day
    Nan
    You can have your car serviced anywhere you choose--you can even do the servicing yourself if you have the skill and the will. But you should keep detailed records of the servicing, including parts (showing that the parts were OEM quality or better).

The 45k service should be pretty inexpensive--about the same as the 15k service. The most expsnsive service is at 60k intervals, which includes timing belt replacement.
    Good Morning
    Thank you for that. I know when I asked the dealership how much it will cost they told me around $190.00. I havent asked my mechanic yet because I still have a few thousand miles for the check up. I am hoping that my mechanic is cheaper then the dealership.
    Nan
  • donmc7donmc7 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I bought a 2006 Hyundai Elantra with 12K miles through an auto dealer that bought it at auction from and insurance company.
    The car was a theft recovery that had no damage except for the rear window.
    Does any part of the Hyundai warranty transfer to me or is it voided?

Thanks,
    DonMc7
    You should check with HMA on that. The 5-year bumper-to-bumper warranty transfers to the 2nd owner. I don't know whether Hyundai will consider the insurance company and the auction company as "owners". Also, do you know how many people owned it before the insurance company did?
  • donmc7donmc7 Member Posts: 2
    It looks like the car was stolen from the original owner.
    This morning I spoke with a lady that told me she had a 2003 that had 14K miles on it she had purchased through a dealer that bought it from an insurance company and the Hyundai dealer told them they would honor the factory warranty.
    the 60k service is the only service required at a hyundai facility.
    it depends, but i would check with a hyundai dealer or HMA to find out for sure. I know if a car is wrecked and totaled by an insurance company, the warranty is voided, but i'm not sure how it is considered if it was stolen, considered a total loss, then recovered.
    Can you please provide a reference from Hyundai noting that the 60k service must be performed at a Hyundai dealer? Thanks.
    i don't have one, its just what i've been told since working for a hyundai dealership.
    Then you may want to verify it before you post it here. That kind of statement could lead people to think that they MUST have the most expensive service (60k) for their Hyundai performed at a Hyundai dealership. Which of course is great for dealers like the one you work at, but maybe not great for the owners.

Your dealership's management should review the Magnuson-Moss Act, a federal statute that prohibits a manufacturer from requiring a consumer to use a service or maintenance item from the manufacturer, unless such service or item is provided free of charge under its warranty, or unless the Federal Trade Commission waives this prohibition against the manufacturer.

So in other words, unless your dealership wants to give free 60k services to Hyundai owners, it should stop telling them that the 60k service must be performed by a Hyundai dealership.
  • pluto8pluto8 Member Posts: 5
    Hello,
    I just helped my mother with the purchase of an '05 Elantra GT AT with 28,760 miles. The dealer did not have the warranty handbook nor any service records for the car. The title is clean with one previous personal owner. Are there any steps she must take with Hyundai to transfer the warranty? Is there a way to get a copy of the handbook? Are the missing service records an issue? Any help is of course greatly appreciated.
    Hi Pluto

I also got a 2005 Hyundai Elantra and I did not have the Handbook. Call there 800 number tell them what you just said and they will send you the copy of the handbook. They are very nice and eager to help you. As far as the warranty goes you still have the powertrain warranty on it. As for me I am getting an extended warranty for mine. When you were doing the financing did the Finance manager ask you about extended warranties.?
    Anyway I hope this helps you out. Good Luck with the car. I really love mine. Sweet Ride
    Nan :)
    Actually, at best pluto8 has the remainder of the 5-year, 60k bumper-to-bumper warranty (including powertrain of course). But the extra 5 years of powertrain warranty does not transfer to 2nd and later owners.
  • pluto8pluto8 Member Posts: 5
    Correct. I called the 800 number and transferred the warranty. They're also sending the copy of the handbook. They said she has the remainder of the 5yr/60k warranty including powertrain and that lack of service records from the prior owner should not be a problem so long as the new service records are safeguarded. I was surprised that the Roadside assistance transfers as well for the original term. I bypassed the generic extended warranties the finance officer offered. Thank you for the replies.
  • jfh2jfh2 Member Posts: 3
    my dad's '04 elantra w/ 40K miles broke down this week. it developed trans fluid leak. He took to a local garage the car sat overnight by the morning the garage said it was very low on fluid. He took the car to the dealer to see if still was covered by the warranty - the dealer said that since my dad hadn't changed his trany fluid at 30K they would not honor the warranty. Does this sound right to anyone?
    I don't have my '04 Elantra owners manual in front of me, but you can check in you dad's as to whether a transmission fluid change is required at 30k miles under the manufacturer's service schedule. If so, then I can see the point of the dealer, although they should explain how not changing the transmission fluid 10k miles ago would have caused a transmission leak. I know I had my Elantra's transmission flushed at 30k miles, but I don't recall whether it was a recommended or required service.
  • inharmswayinharmsway Member Posts: 153
    Backy.
    I thought that your 04 was a 5-speed like ours.
  • jfh2jfh2 Member Posts: 3
    the manual says "I" inspect till over 100K miles then it's a "R" the next page says to flush it out every 30k if you use it for frequent short trips, hauling, ride rough roads ect. but that isn't my parents
    So if your dad has some proof that the tranny fluid was at least inspected around 30k miles, that should do it.

Personally, I think flushing before 100k is a good idea even if the usage isn't "severe". It's not a huge expense--but a tranny replacement is.
    Maybe you are thinking of the '01 Elantra GLS I had, which was a 5-speed. I sold it to my sister a couple of years ago. She loves it.
  • inharmswayinharmsway Member Posts: 153
    Yes, that must be it. I remember the clutch went because of rough treatment. I think I will get an auto next time.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    If a car is stolen in my state (CT) , the insurance company must pay the fair market value of the car if it is not revocered within 30 days. So, if a car is stolen and recovered after the insurance company has paid for the car, the insurance company can sell the car with a clear title & the warrantly would be intact if the car were not totaled by the thieves.

I think the original poster said the only damage was a broken rear window.

If a car is totaled by the owner or by a thief, the title is stamped salvage. That would void any remaining waranty.
  • inkycatinkycat Member Posts: 9
    I just bought an '08 Elantra SE and I have a service/warranty question.

The normal service interval is 7,500 miles; the "severe" service interval is 3,750 miles. If I split the difference and get it serviced every 5,000 miles, following the inspection/replacement schedule as closely as possible, will Hyundai honor the warranty down the road? Or if I follow the normal service schedule, will they refuse warranty service later by claiming I should have been following the "severe" schedule?
    How will they know whether you should be following the severe schedule or not? Why not just pick the 3750 or 7500 service interval, based on your driving habits and environment? Is 3750 all that much different than 5000?
  • inkycatinkycat Member Posts: 9
    I asked because while I do mostly highway driving, I will do some cold weather driving and short distance driving. 3,750 seems way too soon to do oil changes to me - everything I've ever heard says 3,000 was invented by the quick lube folks to double their sales. I'd just as soon change every 7500, but I want to make sure Hyundai won't come back at me and say, "Hey, it's been below freezing for most of the last two months - we won't cover this because you should have come in sooner!"
    As I said... how will they know you drove the car on some short trips, or in cold weather? For all they know you go down to your condo in Fort Lauderdale in the winter. ;)

Anyway, you seem to be really worrying about this, so maybe the extra oil changes are worth the peace of mind they will give you. What are they, about $25 a pop? I have the oil changed on my Elantra every 3750 miles or thereabouts because: 1) I only drive 7500 miles a year or so, and 2) the oil changes are free. :) Plus I do drive some short distances and in some really cold weather (like below zero F).
  • kato8kato8 Member Posts: 12
    Received a call that the bumper to bumper warrant is about to expire on my 2005 elantra.
    Does anyone know the cost from Hyndai? I know that some toyota dealers in the midwest are less expensive for extended toyota factory warranties than those in the northeast.
    I am not sure that you can get a Hyundai extended warranty now, near 60k miles. I thought it had to be extended before one year or 12k miles. But maybe they have loosened that requirement since the last time I checked on it on my Elantra, a few years ago.
  • leonfamleonfam Member Posts: 21
    Looking to purchase a used 2007 Elantra -previous rental car. I see that the 10 yr powertrain is non-transferrable. Instead, those parts will be covered under the 5 yr bumper to bumper.

BUT..will I find that those part are excluded due to being a prior rental? See the wording from the Hyundai official site:

econd and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5 year / 60,000 mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (i.e. taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.).
    The 10/100k powertrain warranty does not pertain to commercial vehicles. However, if you look under the 5/60k bumper-to-bumper warranty provisions on the same web page, you'll see there is no limitation for commercial use.

Edit: I have confirmed through Hyundai Customer Service that as long as the car's title was not already "branded" a 2nd time (e.g. the rental company PLUS someone else), meaning there has been only one owner, then the remainder of the 5/60k warranty transfers. I talked with a dealer the other day and they told me that when the rental company sells the car to an auctioneer and then they sell it to a dealer, these are not considered "ownership" for warranty purposes.
  • kidroachkidroach Member Posts: 9
    I just bought a Hyundai Elantra 2004, with 54000 miles.

I was told that there might still be a warranty on the car and I'm here to find out. (Didn't know how to contact Hyundai)

So, when I saw the CarFax, there is a first owner, who drove the car for about a year and a half. Then there's a second owner who drove the car for almost two years. Then, when the dealer bought it, there's me driving it.

My question is, is the warranty still valid? I guess it's not a big deal, since there's only around 6,000 miles left of the warranty but since I've read that the timing belt might fail around that time as well, having a warranty of the timing belt would really give me a peace of mind.

Anyone knows if the warranty would still be valid?

I'm thinking of bringing it into a dealer to change its headlight bulb. Then again, if the warranty doesn't cover it, I might as well change it myself since it's really too simple to do. :)
    The easiest way to find out if your car still has factory warranty on it is to call Hyundai Customer Service (number is on the hyundaiusa.com web site or in the owners manual), give them the VIN, and they can tell you whether it has warranty left. You probably already know the car's original in-service date, from Carfax, but they could tell you that also. That is important of course because the bumper-to-bumper warranty is five years OR 60k miles, whichever comes first. From the info you gave, it appears the car was originally put into use in very late 2004 or even early 2005, so that bodes well for having some warranty left--if it transfers beyond the 2nd owner.

Another thing: I don't know where you heard the timing belt might fail at 60k miles, but that is inaccurate. In most states, the timing belt is a maintenance item at 60k miles. That doesn't mean the belt is in imminent danger of breaking at 60k, but that it's a real good idea to change it then since if it did break, that would severely damage the engine. Also, replacing the timing belt is NOT covered under warranty--unless of course it breaks before 60k miles. But replacing it under other circumstances is your responsibility.

While at the dealer for the bulb, ask them to run a check on outstanding recalls (there were some on the 2004 Elantra including one involving the airbag programming and one on the fuel line to the gas tank) and see what service history they have in their computers--Carfax reports don't typically have all service records.
  • monkeynutsmonkeynuts Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 06 elantra with the hvt engine at 10/15 thousand revs there
    is a rattle like a tappet noise I have taken it back to main agent they say the car has a harsh sounding
    engine as normal and no out of place noises, I have checked with 4 other cars
    and they have the same rattle is this normal and is that why they changed to
    the cvvt engine,Being an ex mechanic I believe this is an oil pressure problem at
    those revs and that is why they changed engines.
  • jayessjayess Member Posts: 59
    I am looking to purchase an 06 elantra w/26,360 miles, and about 2 yrs left on the 5/60 warranty. It was originally titled to a rental/fleet, then auctioned after 18,281 miles according to carfax and purchased as a private vehicle from a dealer. The dealer I'm looking to buy from just acquired it in trade.
    I know that the powertrain drops to 5/60 for subsequent owners but am unclear as per vehicles that began life in a fleet. From HyundaiUSA's website:
    "Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5 year / 60,000 mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (i.e. taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.)."
    I want to understand that "in commercial use" means when they are used as such because otherwise, if it starts out in as a rental then transfers to private owner(s) there never is a powertrain warranty.
    Should probably check with Hyundai, I'd hate to learn that 'in' really means never ever!
    Yes, I think the best thing to do is call Hyundai customer service, give them the VIN and they can tell you if it's still covered under the 5/60k bumper-to-bumper warranty--which it should be. It won't have the extra 4 years/40k of powertrain warranty however--the car has already had an owner. That is true whether the original owner was a fleet or private party.

I got a lot of experience on this question while I was looking at used Elantras and Sonatas last year. I didn't end up buying one, but I did confirm that a car that was originally in use as a fleet vehicle (e.g. rental car) does still qualify for the remainder of the 5/60k bumper-to-bumper warranty.

P.S. If you are buying from a Hyundai dealer, they might be able to extend the 5/60k warranty to 10/100k bumper-to-bumper, or add on the 10/100k powertrain warranty, as a "Hyundai Certified" car. For a price, of course.