Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius Tire/Wheel Questions

Comments

• snowboarder4snowboarder4 Member Posts: 42
    Driving about 80,000 miles per year on surfaces from interstate to forest service roads, I observe an average of five vehicles in the ditch or in a collision each snowstorm. Living at 9,600 feet in Colorado, I drive on snow six months of the year. My strongest impression concerning the drivers in the ditch is not that the wrong tires are on the vehicle, it is that the wrong driver is behind the wheel. Last winter, the interstate closed more than twenty times on Vail Pass and at the Eisenhower Tunnel, including a seventy-vehicle pile-up. The lead driver was killed while taking his wife and two children to Disneyland. Almost every other road closure was caused by driver error, high speeds, tailgating, heavy braking that caused an accident blocking the road.

I do not have snow tires on my Prius. On the interstate, I reduce my speed about ten miles an hour under surrounding traffic most of the time for both safety and fuel economy. My fuel economy due to the low-resistance standard tires is 52 MPG summer and 48 MPG winter. My compromise is traveling a few minutes early to work, rather than rushing at dangerous speeds along curves that take at least thirty hits on the guardrail every winter within one mile of roadway.

If you are going off-roading in winter on forest service traces, then take a different vehicle than a Prius. You are going to need more clearance anyway. However, I have made it up mining road grades with a half foot of powder on ice, experiences some slippage, at slow speeds. I typically leave for work at 4:30 AM, when the roads are not plowed, but still get through because the idiots have not blocked the way yet. I have no place to store tires in my condo, so buying snow tires would put me in an awkward storage situation for six months of the year.

A good snow tire will be made with softer rubber, more tread resistance, and reduce fuel economy. If traction is your priority, then buy a winter tire. If you can be reasonable in driving behavior, you should not experience the need for a snow tire. The vehicles that I pass in the ditch are almost always all-wheel-drive sport utility vehicles operated by over-confident, ignorant, inexperienced, drunk, or hot-headed drivers.
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    I couldn't agree more with the info provided above by snowboarder. The overall usefullness of a Prius is quite good in snow. I've driven thru 6 winters in NW Indiana and have yet to find a snow that I couldn't negotiate. That's not to say that the Prius is great in snow. It's just reasonably adiquate. A large portion of folks invariably just don't drive at reduced and cautionary levels. Every winter you see the "dummies" that end up Rr ending or off in the ditches because they refuse to slow down (especially 1st snows). I would caution anyone in a Prius to remember ..strong cross-winds are the most significant problem with the hybrid that I've encountered. Winds can be very annoying and troublesome. The car weighs in at just under 3,000 lbs. Stay safe.
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    I have Blizzak WS-50's that I have used lightly for four Colorado winters (15-20,000 total miles max.). They have plenty of tread but I'm sliding all over the place. I want to get new tires. What brand and model would you recommend?
  • mbw1902mbw1902 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Prius, am at 20,000 miles and all tires are equally worn out so I need to buy new tires. And I thought that this nice hybrid was supposed to be so good for the environment. What about all this rubber???
    I have been thinking for quite sometime that there was something wrong with the fuel gauge. Says I'm low but only let's me put ~$6.-$7 in.
  • oldcoacholdcoach Member Posts: 28
    I am the owner of a 2008 Prius, was thinking about getting winter tires for here in Ohio. Does any one have any good ideas about snow tires for my Prius.
    I think that the issue of winter tires has been ground into the pavement if you will review posts from the past. Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread 195/60R15 is one possibility or drive carefully and keep your existing tires. Unfortunately, I have no place to store snow tires in my mountain condominium, so stick with the issued tires. If you have room, buy winter tires, which are soft rubber, sticky, wear down quickly, and reduce your fuel economy. Otherwise, simply slow down and stay on the road regardless of conditions.
    On winter snow tires, take a look at earlier posts #20, #31, #39, #42.
    Also, check Consumer Reports, which discusses the rating types for dry pavement tires, all-season, and winter snow tires. Ask a good dealership concerning your choices. The winter season tires will have softer rubber, wear more quickly, and can be studded. Check your local state laws concerning dates when studs must be off the roads because they are restricted due to destruction of pavement in some states. Your dealer should know about any restrictions.
    I would also suggest that the ..".you get what you pay for applies here." When my o.e. tires were @ 53 K I decided to buy an economy set of tires (in the $40 dollar bracket) ...Big mistake! Next time around I bought a set of Michlins that have delivered a much improved ride, wear, and roadability. Lesson learned. Oh! Don't forget to do much needed "Wheel Alignment." (about every 40K)
  • mommagmommag Member Posts: 1
    Is it true -- did they make a way for you to turn the Traction Control System off on the newer models?

We own a 2007 and live in Michigan and agree completely with our fellow New Yorkers that on ice and snow many a time we feel like "sitting" ducks just waiting for an accident to happen because of the TCS kicking in.

Anyone know?
  • greendriver1greendriver1 Member Posts: 1
    Schwab Tire installed 4 new steel radial tires (35psi max press.) and my mileage dropped from 53 mpg to 46 mpg. I called my Toyota dealer who advised me there were 3 approved tires one could install on my Prius. They were the Michelin Pilot, the Bridgestone Teranza and the Goodyear Integrity. In checking with the web low resistance tires on a Prius is important. I called Schwab and they said the dealer is all wet and Schwab tires are better than all three of the recommended tires.
    As with all things in life, trade-offs exist. You must choose between low-resistance and high fuel efficiency or better road grip and low fuel efficiency. Personally, I relax, plan to leave early for work, drive at reasonable speeds through snow and ice, use standard tread tires, and have no problems on ice and snow on steep grades in the mountains.
  • BobWinNJBobWinNJ Member Posts: 1
    I am reading to decide what tires to buy. I read on this forum that the AC really means Heat, Air conditioning and Ventilation. I notice that when I use the Auto Climate mode and the AC icon is lit, I get better MPG, close to 48 combined with 80% driving at 70mph
  • turristurris Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2006 prius,I replaced my first set of tires GY Integrity at 35.000 miles filled with nitrogen,with BFGOODRICH traction t/a,at moment i'm losing 50to60 highway miles per tank,it's got be the tires.
  • riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    Maybe they're being replaced with this new model?

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2009/02/bridgestone-int.html

Bridgestone Introduces LRR Ecopia EP100 Tire at Chicago Auto Show
    11 February 2009

Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations (BTAO) officially launched the Ecopia EP100, a low rolling resistance tire which provides drivers with improved fuel economy without sacrificing wet handling performance.

The Ecopia tire line targets fuel efficient vehicles, including hybrids and electric vehicles and will be used in original equipment and replacement applications. The new Ecopia EP100 is the first aftermarket product in the Ecopia tire line for the North American market, and is a summer replacement tire fitment for popular fuel efficient, hybrid and electric vehicles including the Mini Cooper, Toyota Prius, Honda Civic Hybrid, Nissan Versa, Toyota Corolla and a selection of other conventional vehicles.

Available in H- and V-speed ratings, the Bridgestone Ecopia EP100 has a UTQG of 400AB and will be offered in six different sizes ranging from 14-16 inch. The tire will be available in March in the first phase of a two-phase rollout in 2009.

The Ecopia EP100 incorporates Bridgestone’s NanoPro-Tech materials technology which controls the interaction between polymers, filler materials and other rubber chemicals used in the manufacture of the tire. (Earlier post.)

Design elements in the Ecopia EP100 include 3D Cut Circumferential Ribs to help reduce irregular wear and lessen road noise. Consistent Surface Contact, through a special tread block design, improves wet and dry handling and reduces irregular wear. Interconnected Rib Blocks enhance wet performance and help reduce energy loss. High Angle Lateral Grooves are incorporated into the Ecopia EP100 to help avoid hydroplaning.
  • danabeachdanabeach Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased new tires for my 2007 Prius, BF Goodrich Traction TR 185 / 65R15 88T. Gas milage dropped from an average of around 52 mpg to around 45 mpg for a typical tank. Formerly, driving 60 mph the car got 55 mpg or so. Now it gets 48 mpg. I'm looking for suggestions for another set with lower rolling resistance.
    Thanks
  • snead_csnead_c Member Posts: 64
    Some drop can be caused by the new, stickier tread which will improve with age. Was the previous tire size 55 or a wider 65?...wider could also impact. Finally, check your air pressure...it could be too low...try f42/40 or f40/38 if the sidewalls and your comfort allow. PriusChat.com also has lots of info that might help.
  • biomanbioman Member Posts: 172
    I am the happy owner of a 2010 Prius 4. Yesterday I noticed that the car was missing one of the 4 plastic wheel cover that cover the alloy wheels. Now that the wheel cover is missing I had a good look at the alloy wheel and it looks nicer, IMO, than the wheel without the plastic cover. Since the wheel cover costs anywhere from $60.00 to $90.00 each, I was wondering what do this wheel covers do? If they are there for "beauty" they do not hold a candle to the "naked" alloy wheels. I can see purchasing 4 center caps and removing the three remaining plastic wheel covers. Of course if the wheel covers serve a functional purpose that might change my thinking. I've Googled the issue and have found little evidence to support the functional hypothesis. Any thoughts/knowledgeable replies greatly appreciated. Other that this issue we love the car. It meets and exceeds all of our expectations.
    Sorry I meant "than the wheel with the plastic cover"!!

Bioman
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Because the Prius has relatively small tires, it's easy to scrape the wheels against even a low curb when parallel parking. The plastic covers protect the most vulnerable part of the wheels: the rims.

If you can assure yourself you'll never scrape a curb, you can remove them without losing any functionality.
  • bytrain1bytrain1 Member Posts: 1
    A Toyota engineer told me that the covers represented an aerodynamic benefit resulting in about a two percent increase in fuel economy. Thus, I don't agree that their only functionality is to protect the allow wheels.
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to test the hypothesis that the covers provide an aerodynamic benefit. My wife came up with a solution to our problem. We lost one wheel cover. So, I purchased one new wheel cover from www.Centercaps.com. Their price was $15.00 cheaper than our local Toyota dealer and included shipping. In addition, I purchased four center caps because we like to look of the alloy wheels without the plastic covers. Over the next couple of weeks/months I will be observing mpg with and without the wheel covers to see what the data says. I guess I can "splurge" on the center caps using the money I'm saving driving the Prius relative to the Explorer the Prius replaced!!

Thanks guys,

Bioman
    If the covers provide only a 2% benefit in fuel efficiency, I think you'd be hard pressed to measure the difference.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It may be difficult to measure because of variations in driving conditions, etc., but I sort of doubt the number. A 2% increase in mileage, applied across the entire population of cars would amount to a very large amount of fuel saved per year. I really don't think something as simple as a solid wheelcover is going to make that much of an aerodynamic difference. It certainly will make some difference (my gut is telling me a fraction of a percent) but 2% seems highly optimistic.

In a wind tunnel on a dyno, MAYBE, but even then it doesn't seem to intuitively make sense. Let me know the next time you do any extended driving in those conditions ;)
  • swethogswethog Member Posts: 1
    Can you use chains in snow and ice? Or should you get studded tires..Also in replacement tires, can you go a size larger than original?
  • hihostevohihostevo Member Posts: 59
    I am curious about snow operation with the Prius also. I have had a 2008 model for two years, but only operated it in desert conditions (Las Vegas)... mostly dry with occasional rain.

I recently bought a low mileage 2005 model that I have up in Utah (approaching snow time). The previous owner put a set of Big O's top of the line tires on it even though it only had 22000 miles on it.

I am curious how these tires will fair in winter driving... I have heard good things about the Michelin Hydro-Edge in snow and slush, and of course there are the pure winter tires like the Blizzak and Xice2.

I am quite curious as to what most of you folks do who live in the part of the country where there is that "white stuff."
  • 63pro63pro Member Posts: 15
    Hi, brand new to this forum, but your situation is also one of mine. I recently damaged a wheel cover on my new 2010 Prius via a car wash, and was pleasantly surprised by the good looking alloys that were underneath the covers. I wanted to put the center caps on, but found them quite expensive from Toyota. You mentioned you purchased center caps. If you don't mind, can you tell me where you got the center caps and how much you paid. My Toyota dealer is asking about $70 for for small plastic caps. Thanks for your help. :)
    I do not believe that you provided enough information concerning your use of a vehicle in Utah. I live beside the I-70 at Vail Pass. I have never felt the need for either chains or studs. I bought a 2007 Prius and replaced the factory tires with an All-Season Radial from Big O after only 22,000 miles.

My previous vehicle had AWD. I notice no less traction with my Prius. When I drove snowplow for CDOT, I usually had 20 vehicles in the ditch each shift on six percent grade in every snowstorm. I never had a problem with my vehicle. The people in the ditch were always driving at excessive speed for conditions. I climbed down an embankment to one car and felt for tread. There was none.

The disadvantage of using chains is that you can only travel a maximum of 35 MPH. That is why you will almost never see chains on a snowplow. They need to be able to drive faster than that to keep up with the storms. Now, I drive the county buses. Again, never chains. The buses need to travel at highway speed to maintain a schedule.

Studs are nice where state laws allow the use. Studs destroy roads. Only use them if you actually find a necessity for them. Parts of rural Idaho, for example, do not plow roads or salt down to pavement. However, my observations in Utah during a snowstorm were of excellent snowplow equipment, better than the equipment in Colorado.
    Road conditions were outstanding. Therefore, I would not invest in anything but an All Season Radial. If that gives you actual trouble at speeds of 35 MPH in one of your snowstorms, then experiment with Dedicated Snow Tires ~ studs ~ and chains or socks.
    I purchased the replacement wheel cover and the center caps for my 2010 Prius from http://www.centercaps.com. The parts are used but more than acceptable. The center caps I ordered were actually for the 2009 Prius. They fit my 2010 Prius' wheels. They are metal and cost 12.99 each. I am still using the wheel covers because I doing a mpg test to see if there is any difference riding with and without the plastic wheel covers. I plan to switch over to the center caps this weekend. I'll keep them on the car for a couple of months. If I find no difference in mpg, I'll probably keep the center caps on the car.
    Thanks for your help and info. I know what to do now.
  • bob104bob104 Member Posts: 94
    Just got a set of Bridgestone Ecopia's installed on my 08Prius Touring. According to the readout I'm getting a good 2-3 mpg better than with the now-bald factory Bridgestone Turanzas. Perhaps a calibration error. I'll provide a better report after I carefully measure the mpg at the pump, but it's looking like this is a very good tire. They ride fine, a bit squishy on the corners, no experience with rain (this being CA), $535 for a set of four OTD in CA, a good $250 less than the Turanzas.
  • hihostevohihostevo Member Posts: 59
    Thank you very much for your reply. My home is on the "bench" down in Utah County, so I do have a bit of hill to negotiate going to and from home. As I am on the West side of the street I do have a flat driveway which is a plus.

When I went by the Big O tire store... to get information on the tires on my '05 Prius I asked them if they were something "special" for winter driving, but they said no it was just their top-of-the-line all season tire.

I have been considering purchasing an extra set of wheels and mounting a pair of Michelin's Xice2 tires or possible the Blizzak's from Bridgestone. Either that or switching over to Michelin's Hydro-Edge tires and then taking the Big O tires down to my '08 Prius in Vegas.

However it sounds like as long as I don't drive like a maniac that these Big O tires should work fine, thank you for your assistance.
    Best wishes with the all-season-radials. Yesterday, one of our snowplows was crossing Dillon Dam and triggered the anti-terrorist barriers installed by the Denver Water Board, destroying the plow truck and sending the driver to the hospital, so sliding into the ditch in winter is not the worst that can happen to you in a snowstorm.
  • ronshronsh Member Posts: 1
    Did you finish your analysis of mileage - hub caps vs. center caps? Any difference? Did you end up using the center caps and ditched the wheel covers?

Thx..Ron
    I actually have not tested anything. The cold winter weather has put the MPG's in to a tailspin, so I decided to wait until the more moderate weather of Spring/Summer to switch off the plastic wheel covers for the center caps.
  • wshelbywshelby Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2002 Prius with 100,000 miles on it in August of 09. I got great gas milage.... averaging 42-44 on the highway and 45+ around town. I commute daily roundtrip 150 miles a day, freeway miles at 75 miles an hour. My milage has steadily dropped to 38-40 miles per gallon. This has been a gradual drop. I have not changed driving habits, or tires (I keep them at max air pressure). My car was serviced once after a yellow triangle warning. The dealer said I needed new spark plugs and they replaced a filter. The drop was already starting and it has continued after the dealer service. I have switched to synthetic motor oil but this started before that
    The only difference I can find is the weather has steadily gotten colder thru this time frame.
    Any tips out there? Am I missing something? Does some filter need changed? Is it the colder air? I am confused, especially since it has been a fairly gradual decline.
    It's not that much of a drop and I would think the colder weather is to blame. In what part of the country do you live?
    Before last winter I purchased a replacement wheel cover and a set of wheel caps for my 2010 Prius 4. I was curious as to why Toyota put plastic wheel covers on aluminum alloy wheels. One hypothesis I had is that is had something to do with improving MPG. I waited until this spring to switch over from wheel cover to caps. Well, after abut 1000 miles I can say that the mpg's have not been affected in any measurable way that I could see. Since I like to look of the alloy wheels the wheel covers are in my garage when the Prius is on the road.
  • biglou5biglou5 Member Posts: 1
    One reply to this says "who ever told you Priuses are heavy is crazy". Well Priuses are heavier in the front of the vehicle than other compact cars. Hybrids have a gasoline engine, an electric motor, Heavier battery, and a transmission all supported by the front axle. Early Priuses came stock with and required required XL Tires (Extra Load). A tires weight capacity is effected by the size of the tire as well as inflation. Until 2004 Priuses came with 175/65/r14 xl tires with an inflation requirement of 35psi. The mistake Toyota made was that the extra load rating of the tire doesn't kick in until the tire is inflated above 38 psi. There is no difference between an xl tire and a standard load tire of the same size at 35psi. Because of this many Prius owners experienced the front tires going bald on the inner and outer edges at low mileage. This wear pattern is classic under inflation wear. (due to the weight of the car) Inflating the tires to 40 to 42 psi puts them at the weight capacity they need to be at to support the weight of the car, but Toyota never admitted to this error because Increasing the required air pressure would change the handling and stability of the car. They corrected it in 2004 by making 15 inch tires standard. The larger tires have a higher load capacity at 35 psi with out requiring an xl rating.
  • kirbs10kirbs10 Member Posts: 1
    are these 16" wheels? i was looking for replacements for my touring prius...
  • mbros2kmbros2k Member Posts: 71
    I don't get! I have a Prius with 17 in. alloys so this doesn't apply to me, but... Yesterday I saw a 2010 Prius with great looking 15 in wheels and complimented the owner and asked where he got them. I was floored when he said they were under the plastic wheel covers. I drove away thinking he was nuts until I did some research myself. How can this be? Why would Toyota cover up such hot looking rims and waste the money on plastic crap that looks like it was purchased from the Target auto accessories dept? If aerodynamics was the issue, it could be incorporated into wheel design. If protection from damage was intended, then no one would buy custom wheels in the first place. Toyota could have spent the money on DRLs or dual zone a.c. or any number of cheap upgrades. What am I missing?
  • sthogesthoge Member Posts: 28
    I was told the plastic wheel covers are supposed to reduce wind drag on the wheels, giving better fuel economy. I doubt it's ever been proven by anybody though.
    Yes, this is the real deal. I bought a 2010 in October and had even questioned the salesperson about how confusing the sales brochure was concerning alloy wheels and wheel covers. He said he didn't know but would check it out--he didn't and I failed to follow up until I took my car throught a carwash and accidentally hit one of the carwash rails and ended up popping off the wheel cover. I was angry at myself for doing this, but very pleasantly surprised to find the alloy wheel underneath. Needless to say, I popped off the others and now have a great looking set of wheels. The only "fly in the ointment" was that very small center caps for the wheels were needed, but were not there, so I had to buy them from the dealer for close to $70. No gas mileage issue for me. Changed to synthetic oil and averaged 55mpg on my latest 1800 mile trip. :)
  • jana26jana26 Member Posts: 4
    I have 45,000 miles on my 2007 Prius Touring and needed to replace the tires. There seemed to be plenty of tread left but, because I live in Las Vegas with the extreme heat, the tread started to split. Because I had experienced the high cost of wheel cover replacement before, I decided to get new rims as well. I know, dumb, but I didn't think it would make a difference. The car looks great but my gas mileage has dropped tremendously. I used to get between 46 and 49 mpg (per the car's computer--my calculations are always a little less) and now the high is 43. My current tank is showing 36 mpg. I have NEVER seen it that low before! I also notice that I can't coast as well and I can't "float" the gas pedal to get better gas mileage while still going the same speed.

All that said, what do I do? I might be able to get different tires and go back to my old rims since I got the tires and rims from Discount Tire but what tire do I ask for? I'm very depressed at the drop in mpg. HELP! : :cry:
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    edited November 2010
    First, all other things being equal, new tires should get worse fuel economy than old tires.

Second, if you changed from an OE tire to a replacement market tire, expect a further drop in fuel economy.

Third, if you went after a tire with god treadwear ratings, expect another hit in fuel economy.

Be aware that there is a 3 way relationship between rolling resistance, traction, and treadwear. Rep[eat after me: "There is no free lunch!"

So I'm thinking the problem isn't the rims.

If you want more detail:

http://www.barrystiretech.com/rrandfe.html
    TAKE NOTE: The variables that effect milage are many...tires, weather, temperatures, seasonal gas blends, wear & tear, and finally, change in driving habits. I suggest, after 8 yrs with an 04 Prius with 133 plus thousand miles, milage is going to vary. Mid summer I always climb back into the upper 40's and expect much less come the harsh winters. Truthfully I find keeping tire pressure up to suggested specs a key point. I once saw what a massive head wind can do to milage on a trip from Indiana to western Iowa. I got 31mpg and on the return 51mpg. What a difference that can make. So, what I'm suggesting is simply consider ALL the issues when it comes to MPG's. ;)
    Thanks for the info. Sorry for not getting back to you before this--work/computer issues. Sounds like I got hit with all three issues. That'll teach me! At least the rims aren't part of the problem. They are alloy too and do make the car look awesome! I stopped back at Discount Tire today and talked to them about the tires. They claimed they had never had anyone complain before but were "appreciative" of my comments. They checked their computer but couldn't find any tire that listed anything about tire and gas mileage for the Prius. They actually asked me to let them know what tires would be good for the Prius. Toyota had told me that Goodyear makes a tire they use for the Prius but I can't remember what the name was. See what happens when you get non-young! (I prefer not to use the "O" word any more!

Again, thanks and if you know of a good tire, I'd appreciate the info.
    I've had my car since March of 2007 and have kept track of my gas mileage every fill up so I understand the varying situations and am considering the issues. The gas mileage I am now experiencing is 5 mpg lower than the lowest mpg I've ever experienced so that is a major drop. The one issue I wasn't aware of before was the whole new tire, rolling resistance factor thing which was mentioned by another. After reading what he said and checking out the website he included, it all makes sense to me. I'm going to try inflating to a higher psi and see if that helps. I'm also hoping it will get better as the tire wears. thanks for your reply.
  • mikelcacmikelcac Member Posts: 1
    the atmosphere is 78% nitrogen. Nitrogen has an atomic mass number of 7 where as oxygen has a number of 8. The lower the number the smaller the molecule. The smaller the molecule the more likely to leak out. Yes nitrogen is less affected by temp change but the charge for it is ridiculous. Save your money check your Tire pressure every few weeks.
  • esm2esm2 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2011
    I replaced a tire on my 2010 Prius with a Bridgestone ECOPIA EP 20 BL P195/65R15 89S, which is the same brand and numbers on the original tires.

Now the speedometer is crazy. It reads 80-90 when I know I'm only going 40-50.

Did they mess something up when they changed the tire.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Replacing a tire with one of the same size will have no effect on your speedometer reading, so I think you're looking at something going wrong with the speedometer, just a coincidence that it happened at the same tiem as the tire change