Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems

Comments

• timmer23timmer23 Member Posts: 24
    '00 XJ L6 4.0 auto tranny

This Jeep has been giving me difficulty cranking for quite a while, however it got worse and worse every day this week. This last time, it took at least 15 minutes to get it to fire up, whereas it would normally crank after a minute of trying.

The trouble occurs only the first time the Jeep is driven for the day. Once it cranks, it's good to go for the rest of the day, and will fire right up if I just drive it a mile and park it for 30 minutes.

When I turn the key, the engine will try to crank, but just won't fire up. Usually after several attempts and turning the key off and on, it will finally crank. Sometimes a cloud of gray smoke will blow out the exhaust when the engine finally cranks.

Often, the engine will start to crank but die and blow off a vacuum hose. Lately, when the engine cranks, it won't stay on unless I press the gas pedal to keep it idling. If I let off the gas within a minute or so, the engine will die. After a minute of manual idling, it's good for the rest of the day with no problems.

After reading all the previous posts, it sounds like the Throttle Position Sensor could be the culprit. Another factor that could point to the TPS is that the transmission will sometimes come out of overdrive. Would the TPS cause cranking trouble or just idling trouble? I guess I could go ahead and pay $50 for a new sensor to see if there is a difference, and return it if not.
  • lunghdlunghd Member Posts: 61
    If the TPS thinks your engine is already running it will feed the ECU/PCM the incorrect information. You can check it's function with a $5.00 digital volt meter.
  • nichole24nichole24 Member Posts: 2
    did you ever get an answer to your problem. cause i'm having the same problem. please let me know. please some one if you know let me know.
  • borrayoborrayo Member Posts: 1
    Ok so i have an 88 cherokee and its having problems starting. absolutely nothing happens when i turn the key over...not even a crank , new battery, new crank position sensor, and engine relay...all new parts. WHAT CAN IT BE???????? i'm kind of frustrated
  • giwallygiwally Member Posts: 4
    My 99 Jeep would die while driving on the freeway and sometimes not start for a few minutes. It finally didn't start back up and it ended up needing a new Idle Air Control and a new ECU Engine computer and Crank Position Sensor. After 2 weeks in the shop and $1500 it is working fine except the oil pressure randomly goes to zero and the check gauges light comes on when i let off the gas. This only happens randomly though
  • nichole24nichole24 Member Posts: 2
    check your ignition switch
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    nutral start syitch in trans?
    try to start in nutral see if starter will turn over
  • deedee9deedee9 Member Posts: 1
    JEEP Cherokee 2006 SHUTS DOWN – STALLS While Driving
    MY Jeep SYMPTOMS are : While driving ,anytime, the jeep slowly looses power The EBS light on panel shows up . The lights shut off, radio shuts off, STEERING LOCKS , everything looses power, the engine sound changes as it slowly DIES . The Jeep completely SHUTS OFF.
    It has to be placed into park and Restarted. This has been an on going 6 month long mystery that
    TECHS can not solve
    DOES anyone know what the problem could be??
    Please help
    Check the engine ground straps.

Swing by the local auto parts store for a 'free' alternator / battery check.
  • ummthinkinummthinkin Member Posts: 1
    I put my 1986 jeep in first gear and when i drove it barely went, finally it just stopped, the clutch goes in fine but it just wont move?
    tracy.. calif :cry:
    Hello Tracy - is this the 2.8L V-6 or the 4-cylinder engine?

Sounds like a bad clutch master or slave cylinder. When one goes... the other is usually a short breath behind. Don't waste time / $ on the aftermarket parts on this one as it's simply not worth it. You'll end up replacing them on a monthly basis so this one of the rare times I'd go to the dealership and pay the full, highway robbery rate. Dealership kit includes slave, master & hydraulic line.

I'm not sure if your XJ has the internal or external slave cylinder. IF it is the internal slave cylinder (inside the clutch bell housing...) then I'd also bite the bullet & have the dealership install it. External slave - not too bad to do. If you can do a brake job & bleed the brakes then you can do the external slave swap no problem.

Another possibility is a leaking rear main seal... does your XJ 'mark it's spot' with oil whenever you park it??? If so, open up the dust cover for the clutch bell housing & look for a dirty, oily film on the flywheel. Oil = slipping clutch.
  • allincuddyallincuddy Member Posts: 3
    2001 GC. After driving for about 20 minutes and longer, when turned off it will not start. Seems to turn over, but like no feul is being delivered. Does a GC have a cam shaft position sensor?? but usually when one goes (cam shaft position sensor) it will never start, this starts evry time if you let it wait for 30 min.. It has me baffled, any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Mark in Calgary
  • chclementschclements Member Posts: 2
    2004 Grand Cherokee, 75,000 miles, V-6

Last summer, my jeep began having start problem. It would turn over but not start the engine on the first try. After stopping, it would start on the second try. It seemed that as the temperature soared to over a 100, the starts got worse. Probably not related....but it was a very hot summer and it was suggested that I switch gas, change my keys, use a fuel injection cleaner, fuel additive...and have it checked out. All of which I did. The auto shop found nothing wrong and could not duplicate my start problem.

Fall arrived, the temps got cooler, but the problem still occurred. Then a new symptom started. While idling in traffic, the engine would "burp" slightly and the jeep would go dead. The engine light came on and stayed on until the car was recranked. This happened twice over a period of a few days, so I took it back to the shop. They checked it out again and found nothing wrong....but suggested a replacement of the crankshaft sensor. $250 later, I still have the same problem.

The mechanic then suggested I turn the key on just to illuminate the dash. Cut it off and if it cranks on the second try, he says it needs a new fuel pump.

Here are other repairs I've made this past year. New water pump. New battery. This is my second jeep and my older 2000 has 175,000 miles with none of these issues.
    Can you help?

chclements
  • kcrenshawkcrenshaw Member Posts: 6
    Hey everyone, I have a 3.7L Laredo and have had idle problems for about a year. About a year ago it stalled on me twice while driving at fast speed. The first one was slowing down for a stop light going about 50mph and the second was getting off a highway, onto another. Both times, put it in neutral, started up and kept driving. There was some sort of update they did on my car and it hasn't stalled since (thank God!).

The low idling is still a problem. After a 30 minute drive home, I will be at a complete stop, a stop light or whatever, and it will drop to 300-400 rpms and then catch itself and go back to 500-600 where it seems to feel and run fine. I've had the throttle positioning level "repositioned" and serviced. :mad:

I've read that it could be a need of replacing the TPS or even the IAC motor. All is under warranty and dealership keeps saying nothing is wrong with it since the diagnostic aren't coming back abnormal. I've taken it in repeatedly for this only to no avail! I've thought about the lemon law but it's something that seems so simple to fix yet they don't see anything wrong with it.

Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem? Did you get it fixed?
    If you're reading all of that on this thread be aware that your engine and your vehicle is not the same as 9/10ths of the posting vehicles in this thread. Most are 4.0L inline 6's and a mix of Grand and standard (XJ) Cherokees.

This site, unfortunately, doesn't move posts to new threads & people just tack on to the last thread that's close to what they're experiencing but different years, different engines often mean different solutions.

I'd suggest posting the same info as a new thread but use 2006 3.7L GC Idle issues as the title.
    Hey everyone, I have a 3.7L Laredo and have had idle problems for about a year. About a year ago it stalled on me twice while driving at fast speed. The first one was slowing down for a stop light going about 50mph and the second was getting off a highway, onto another. Both times, put it in neutral, started up and kept driving. There was some sort of update they did on my car and it hasn't stalled since (thank God!).

The low idling is still a problem. After a 30 minute drive home, I will be at a complete stop, a stop light or whatever, and it will drop to 300-400 rpms and then catch itself and go back to 500-600 where it seems to feel and run fine. I've had the throttle positioning level "repositioned" and serviced.

I've read that it could be a need of replacing the TPS or even the IAC motor. All is under warranty and dealership keeps saying nothing is wrong with it since the diagnostic aren't coming back abnormal. I've taken it in repeatedly for this only to no avail! I've thought about the lemon law but it's something that seems so simple to fix yet they don't see anything wrong with it.

Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem? Did you get it fixed?
    Thanks for the info. I started a new thread.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'd suggest posting the same info as a new thread

We tend to lump like posts together since a lot of the regulars track the main discussions and never look to see what new discussions have been started.
    Can anyone help??
    Would anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Mark
  • lsufan1lsufan1 Member Posts: 2
    My jeep has been acting up since the winter started. My battery doesn't want to hold a charge if I leave it sitting for a couple of days without starting it. I bought the battery the same time i bought the alternator which has been less than a year. Also when I jump it it doesn't hold an idle in that it starts and dies immediately. If I keep my foot on the gas it'll stay running but soon as I take it off it dies. Sometimes it will run without me having the gas pressed down but it will die if I come to a stop or the rpms will swing really low then pop back up to a little more than a thousand at idle. I thought it could be the throttle position sensor so I swapped that out it didn't fix the problem. I would love it if someone had some insight on this one.

Thanks,

Jay
  • royboy4royboy4 Member Posts: 1
    Engine used to start in one crank revolution. Now it takes 7 or 8 revs. If I turn on the key to the on position (just before start) and let it sit 10 or 15 seconds, it starts pretty good. Any suggestions?
  • sunshnesunshne Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2005 Jeep grand cherokee 3.7 6cyl that used to be the best car ever but is becoming a headache now. The lights in the dash will dim on and off at dawn which I thought it was my imagination at first. Even the over head lights were doing it, but not headlights or anything. Because the dealership could not duplicate it, they could not fix it. Now it is sitting in my drive way and will not start. It clicks, but will not start. After an hour, I went back out and started it without any problems, tested the alternator by turning everything on full power and no lights would dim or rpms would not fall. Battery is clean, cleaned connectors and such. Did my best being a chick. Anywho, now it wont start again???? I went and tried and it is just clicking again almost like the starter is locked up....oh, and when it is having this tantrum, the service engine light,the oil light, and the service electrical break system warning indicator comes on. But when it starts, it is all fine. Any idea anyone????????????????????????????????????????
    what year is your jeep? sounds like the same problems im having.....
    this may sound funney but i would change the battery if has not been changed is 3 years old and could be going out i would do this before i tryed anything else jeeps like to have bat voltage just right
    Sunshne,
    I have a 2006 that did that with all the gauges flashing at me. I too thought it was my mind playing games, but I took it to Jeep and they did some sort of update and replaced my computer. That fixed that. Just recently, as of Thursday, it didn't start up. It was freezing cold that morning so I figured that was it. We were leaving that morning for a trip too so I was like oh great! Drive went fine, parked at hotel, and next morning decided to try to start it up. Nothing. The boys looked at the battery and it was all corroded (sp?) even to the point of my cable to it almost being corroded in half! It's at the dealership right now being fixed, replacing the battery and the terminal. Hopefully it's the last of my problems otherwise I will trade it in!

Has your Jeep ever had any idle problems when warmed up and driving for about 30 minutes?

I hate how they have to duplicate something in order to fix it!!! I thought there was something in the car that recorded all the stuff that went on and such. Can't they look at that?
    Hi, and thank you for replying. I have had issues with it idling. It will drop to like 5 rpms and sound like its going to die. If im at a light or stop sign, it scares me so i just push the gas a little to make sure its not going to die. The battery was tested and it is perfect, along with the alternator and it is not throwing any codes. Its really dissappointing. I really like my jeep too. They said because it is out of warranty and I have an extended warranty that they can not just "guess" the issue. So I am really dissappointed with that since I bought the most expensive extended warranty through chrysler/jeep. I just don't know what to do besides drive it until it breaks with me and my two toddlers and be stranded until they pick it up?? its rediculous!!!
    Mine does the same thing. I've sat there and watched it do it. It's never actually died on me because it'll catch itself. Mine idles at about 600-800 rpms, and will drop to 300-400 rpms but catch itself and go back up.

I am not going to buy an extended warranty through Jeep, I'll go elsewhere so I can take it to my mechanic.

I've learned that if there aren't any codes that are flagging the computer then there is nothing they can do. They always need a damn code! What happened to process of elimination? It drives me crazy!!!

I am in the process of contacting Chrysler LLC to file a complaint!
  • chclementschclements Member Posts: 2
    Update to my previous message. My jeep is having a new problem now. At speeds of around 50 to 60 mph, it will suddenly seem to die, but then catch up again. Very scary on the interstate. And the engine light comes on when this happens. It goes off by the next day. Any ideas anyone??

I'm still starting it by turning the key to the second position, then off. After that it starts up but sometimes hesitates a few seconds.

Thanks!
    carly
    what does it do? mine will sit there and tick like the battery is dead, but it isn't. Sounds like its trying to fire but will not catch...I am taking mine and leaving it overnight at the jeep dealership mid next week to find out what is going on cause it does it every morning or on every cold start for me. So if i drive it there, it will not do it?? Figures...right. But after 6 or more times of trying to start it, it will start. I dont know what the deal is with jeep, but from all the reviews I have read, it will be my last!
    The battery was replaced in Aug. last year. The battery has been tested and the alternator. I am starting to wonder if its my starter cause on every cold start, it ticks multiple times. I have to let go and try again 3 or more times before it slowly catches. I dont know anymore. This jeep is going to have to go!! I wish it would just completly break instead of leaving me in the guessing game!
  • roezroez Member Posts: 1
    After starting my Cherokee and letting it idle for 3-5 minutes, I turn it off. Trying to restart, it will crank, and with the help of pumping the gas it will finally turn over. If I let the truck rest for 10-15 minutes, it will start just fine. I'm thinking that it might be an electrical issue. If anyone has had this problem before please contact me.
    Thanks for the help
    Chris
  • morosemofermorosemofer Member Posts: 5
    my jeep will stall while going down the road. sometimes it will start itself back up and sometimes i have to stop and start it. the check engine light does not come on and ive changed the fuel filter, the fuel pump relay, and even taken my fuel rail and injectors out and soaked them in sea foam. ive had people say it was the crankshaft positioning sensor, the "brain", and maybe even my fuel pump. can anyone help?
  • ehbuddyehbuddy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Grand Cherokee with the Quadratrac Transmission.

When I am at slow speeds (under 10 mph) and turn left or right at 3/4 or more steering wheel deflection (like pulling in and out of a parking space) the front end of the truck seems to 'bog' down. You get the impression that the tires are rubbing against the wheel wells but they are not.

Is this normal or do I have an issue?
  • hat2214hat2214 Member Posts: 2
    The engine revs slightly while "coasting". no other problems with idle in park, only when driving. any ideas?
    What do you mean by revs? What RPM's? In gear? Out of gear (manual tranny)?

If auto tranny : Does it have pulsing rev & release while coasting down a grade or slowing down without braking? If so; = torque converter locking & unlocking - nothing to worry about.
  • hat2214hat2214 Member Posts: 2
    yes, auto tranny and it is like a pulsing but it does not slow down noticably anyway. the rpm is between 1 and 2 and goes up and down between them when in gear while coasting. thanks for the help
    Hey everyone. It's been a while since being on here. After my episode of the battery being all corroded while on vacation, I immediately took it to Jeep to have them check it out. Sure enough the battery and wiring harness that goes to everything (the battery, alternator, fuses, etc.) was bad. They replaced both and I HAVEN'T HAD ONE PROBLEM SINCE!!! :) I probably just jinxed myself by saying that but oh well.

I sure hope this may solve some of the problems for y'all. Good luck!

After all that I've gone through with this Jeep hasn't put much faith in me that they are good cars. Not sure if I'll be getting another one when this one dies.
  • anaconda25anaconda25 Member Posts: 1
    hey had the same problem on a 99. it ended up being a ecu problem. changed ecu and it works fine now..
  • sondra3sondra3 Member Posts: 33
    My 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo v6 has been in and out of the shop (dealer) for over a month with the same problem. Each time I bring it in they diagnose/fix something else and it comes back with the problem developing again. They are stumped - and I'm not sure what to do. The car has 85,000 miles. I don't have the "codes" I keep reading about here (I'm not a car techie), but here is the history, any help is appreciated.

Symptoms: at around 65 mph (or 2000 rpm) I feel the car hesitate a little, and the rpm needle moves a bit weird. Over time (and multiple service visits) this started happening at lower and lower speeds (like 40 or 45, eventually). One time i was on the highway and it hesitated so much it stopped running (check engine light appeared), and I had it towed to the dealer (they paid the towing).

Here are the things the dealer tested, diagnosed and replaced, over this time (in chronological order):
    1. Engine misfire - replace spark plugs and 02 sensor
    2. Fuel induction cleanup service - cleaned fuel rail, injectors, intake system & throttle body
    3. Found a short in the ignition coil - replaced coil, and fuel filter
    4. Replaced throttle position sensor
    5. Replaced PC module (main computer for engine)

Here is some older regular service history too (in case it's helpful at all to know): Ignition tune-up, replaced brakes, add coolants, replace shocks, replace transmission fluid & filter, replace front pinion seal and flush brake fluids.

Anyway the car is still hesitating at around 60 mph. Although it seems less severe and less frequent I'm scared to keep driving it and I don't know what to do. The dealer once even sent the car to an independent mechanic (he's the one who replaced the PC module) and hasn't been charging me any more for service.

Help!?
    the first thing i would have done is change the battery
    have they done that?
  • sondra3sondra3 Member Posts: 33
    Hi, no, the battery was never mentioned. Could you explain why you would have done so? Thanks :)
    jeeps are realy touchey on batt volts
    if have batt that is going bad alt puts out voltage that flucuates a lot and computers realy don't like that
  • volvoidvolvoid Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Cherokee w 69k miles; bought it at 62k, had complete 60k comprehensive service done, but still has somewhat rough idle in drive w brake on, worse under AC load. Neither dealer nor independent mechanic can find/fix problem. Dealer installed new ECM, crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, and coil pack(claiming all were bad -- at least computer was under warantee); still idles roughs so dealer's last/only advice was a can of injector/throttle body cleaner - am running that through now, to no apparent effect. Anybody have any ideas?
  • vibeachboyvibeachboy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 JGCL and every week or so, when I go to start the car it doesn't fire at all. I noticed on the dash a symbol of a key with a circle around it and a hash line thru it. I looked in the manual and it is the key sensor for the security system. So, I assume that it is like a kill switch and the car isn't getting the signal. Then later I'll go back to the car, usually 24hrs later and it will start. Unfortunately, this happens at very inconvenient times and I can never tell when it will occur. Any thoughts?
    the key will light up when you first put the key in if it don,t light up then you get worried.
    the way it works is will let engine start and run for 1 2 min then shut it down then you cuss.
    if it turns over then you could have some wires loose the computer is on the left side behind the ac aculumater and water from that gets on the wires

disconect your battery find the wire harness and wiggle it around if you are profishient you can unplug and replug a couple times and that will clean the contaces prob soulved
  • volvoidvolvoid Member Posts: 4
    Follow-up: Guess nobody out there has any ideas. Tried a new battery based on earlier query. Not a bit of difference - just another $100 sunk into this worthless moneypit. Should never have sold my 1979 AMC Wagoneer. It may have gotten single-digit gas mileage, but even with today's prices, I could have been feeding it premium for what I've sunk on its Chrystless counterpart -- and enjoyed a more reliable, classy and comfortable vehicle, with engineering that one can actual work on when something goes wrong.
    So many people tack on their vehicle's issues to one thread that sometimes their questions sometimes get lost. Sorry no one has helped ya! I'll go back & look for your questions. (And I agree that the AMC Waggy's were fantastic! Gimme a 401 and room for a twin mattress in the back!) :shades:

For the next person - unless ya are replying with a response / help to a previous post... it's time to start a new thread.
    Only does this when you have the brake applied??? Check the brake booster hose, or the booster itself for a vacuum leak.
  • papenpapen Member Posts: 11
    Brought my stalling Jeep 2006 (53,700 miles) into Jeep where they repaired the computer in 2006. Since then had loads of problems. Jeep running for twenty minutes when cooled down would start again. This has gone on for two years with jeeps comment; "We aren't getting this to stall". When they checked it out all seemed okay on the computer.
    Took it to get worked on (not Jeep) and they replaced the cam sensor and crank sensor then sent off the computer to be rebuilt ! Cost 350.00. They found 6 faults on the computer!!!!!!! The location of the computer was down below hoses to where leaks would affect the computer. Real close to the hoses from the radiator.
    What made the mechanic get the idea of rebuilding the computer was the ) meter reading that everything checked out okay. As I said they found 6 faults on the computer just placed in in 2006.
    The Jeep is running fine. Hasn't stalled once! Hope this helps? It has been a headache for two years and Jeep claiming everything fine. No lights on dash board, Jeep running.