Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

This is our potential competitor!

lemennlemenn Member Posts: 89
edited March 2014 in Volvo

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    how the 325 will be priced. $40k seems possible. I kinda hate to say it, but if that happens, the c70 is in big trouble.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• lemennlemenn Member Posts: 89
    In one article I found:

Model
    Price OTR
    Power
    hp
    Torque Nm
    Zero – 62mph seconds
    0 - 62
    Top speed mph
    Combined
    mpg

BMW 325i Convertible
    £33,030

BMW 335i Convertible
    £37,895
    155*

* Electronically limited

If I am correct just with the pond/ dollar convertion this will be:
    BMW 325i Convertible
    $63036

BMW 335i Convertible
    $72339

This looks pretty expensive and I am sure something is wrong here.

To make an accurate estimate we need to find the price in UK of the C70 T5 in the configuration existing in USA.

Erisaman we need your help here.
  • erisamanerisaman Member Posts: 99
    Yes - this is the first retractable hardtop in the same class as the C70, and yes, it is a beautiful car. But - despite those who will say that it performs better, or that it is superior to the C70, to me, there is no comparison, it does not appeal.

Having said that - I would love to have the convenience of opening and closing my roof via the remote! I'll happily have the engine switched off, the handbrake on and all the other requirments (except foot on the footbrake of course) if I could just sit at an open air cafe and amaze and amuse my friends by opening and shutting that roof by remote!
    I'm not going to take a stance right now on which is superior or performs better (although the 335 trumps all ... but that will be a different pricerange). HOWEVER, there will be a select few in the US who, given the choice between a BMW and Volvo at similar prices and similar function, would actually choose the Volvo. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, but just stating a fact. In this country, the BMW badge carries alot of weight with the majority of shoppers.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

we could also compare a non-vert 335 price in the UK compared with the US to get an idea.

Only question is, will the base configurations be different? For instance, does a base UK model come a bit more stripped down than a base US model?

base 335 coupe in UK is 33,420. That's $40k here, so its quite possible the 33k UK price for the 325 vert will translate to $40k here, as well.

I found on a UK web site.

VOLVO, C70 COUPE CONVERTIBLE: T5 SE Lux 2d Total RRP £33,250
    no option

on a US web site

T5 Styles (MSRP: $39,090)
    No option

If we consider these 2 cars being the same this means the BMW 325 will be in the USA the same price as the C70 T5 around $40K
    yup. That's rough.

Well, as I feared a while back, volvo will be heavily discounting the C70.

This is a preliminary price and engine configuration of what will be available in the UK - www.carmagazine.co.uk

They appear very attractive prices - but I have my own feelings about BMW which probably few would share, they have a strong following in the UK also. At the moment - on looks alone - I still favour the Volvo, the BM's greatest asset is, and always has been, it's agility on the road - but that is not an issue for me now. Having thrown enough cars around in my time (I track test Jaguar XKs for a UK magazine) I'm now happy to put my slippers on, pull up the easy chair and smoke my metaphorical pipe.
    I agree,

I don't like the car viewed from the back compared to our lovely C70.

and from the side:

Like someone else on another forum wrote it:
    it looks like a Chrysler Sebring

Now again it is a matter of personnal taste.

Someone else also mentionned being in cold countries he will never chose a propulsion (BMW) compare to traction (Volvo) on snowy/icy roads.
  • cricket4cricket4 Member Posts: 94
    Even though my 07 is going to be delivered next month (but probably could pass my slot along to the next in line), I went this evening to test drive a 328i since I've never even been in a BMW and wanted to make sure I would not have any regrets. 328i had good acceleration and it is pretty but it didn't have quite the appeal to me as the C70 (interior or exterior)... I like the lines of the C70. I even like the "sparse" interior of the Volvo - seems modern to me - but I'm weird since I also like the C70's brushed aluminum as much as I like the wood. BMW's remote control for the roof is a neat trick to show friends but if you have to be within 15 feet, you might as well be sitting in the car. That would not be enough to change my mind. I'm glad I test drove the BMW. I don't know which is the "better" car but at least now I know I made the right decision for me. No offense to BMW owners but I just love the C70 (solely a matter of personal taste). (Plus, I don't think I could wait another year!)
  • blamb3blamb3 Member Posts: 41
    I received my C70 on Tuesday. Had you asked me last week I would have told you that maybe I should have waited for the BMW to come out. I've owned Saab and Audi tt convertibles and another 12 assorted brands of cars in my 61 years of life - never have I been more impressed with a car then I am with the C70. I smile when I'm walking towards this vehicle - the fit and finish is superb, the acceleration is more than adequate for me (manual transmission), and I feel that the design both inside and out is superb. I can't imagine what BMW could come up with that would sway me away from the C70 had I been able to comparison shop the 2 vehicles and I'm partial to BMW'S. The C70 has all the makings of a great car - just 3 days and I'm convinced I made a great decision - and temperatures here haven't been above 45 degrees this past week.
  • flheatflheat Member Posts: 46
    This company is developing a roof control module for the Eos. Perhaps someone could contact them on behalf of your C70. This will be made available to Eos Forum members this week for under $500 it permits the following:

From the inventors of the first VARIO ROOF CONTROL MODULE comes the all new and world's first VARIO-PLUS-CONTROL-MODULE for the VOLKSWAGEN EOS, featuring functions you won't find anywhere else thanks to its patented technology. If installed it offers:

- the smallest and most powerful solution available
    - features AUTO RESUME PLUS
    - fully configurable via our on dash menu: with easy to understand clear text!!
    - open the roof while driving (up to 40 mp/h or 65 km/h)
    - one-touch open or close the roof (by holding the button for 1 sec.)(*)
    - open or close the roof with the factory key RF-remote control(*)
    - flashing the hazard lights or sounding the horn while reversing(*)
    - mirror park assist(*)

This works with all VOLKSWAGEN EOS! The module is plug&play, usually installed within 1 hour. Comes with a 5 years warranty.

*) All functions can be enabled or disabled seperately

http://www.l-c-t.com/LCT/acatalog/EXTERIOR_eos.html
    I'm not sure that I would want to be able to open the roof while driving (esp. not at 40 mph). I'd be concerned with accidentally opening the top, too. Just doesn't seem like a necessary option for me. (I may change my mind once I actually GET MY CAR!) Forgive me if this is a stupid question but what is Auto Resume Plus? I would not mind a remote control for open/closing the roof. I think I would hate my car if the horn sounded while reversing (same with flashing the hazard lights). Talk about an attention getter. But under $500 is a good price for something that does this much for you. Plus, hard for me to say what I want since right now I have to use my imagination - I still don't have my C70 and I don't know what irritates me or pleases me yet...
    Those are the options for the Eos, and I guess they need to test if the 40mph is an option for the C70. I guess it would be a nice option to have as you were driving down a city street and you ran into a cloud burst as happens frequently in Florida (but I doubt if I would open/close my Eos with the car moving fast, I would think it would pull the trunk off, but supposedly they have tested this). The Auto Resume from what I understand is for example you are putting the roof up and you suddenly go over 40 mph, the roof would stop opening until you got back under 40 mph rather than having to press the button again. Each of the line item options will be able to be selectively turned on or off. Anyway, once I get it installed, I will update more if you don't mind info from an Eos owner.
    Here in the UK we have a special date for making fools of each other. It's April the 1st - and is called 'April Fool's Day'.

Am I right in thinking that November 14th is 'November Fool's Day' Stateside? 'Cos I ain't heard nuffink quite as daft.

Anyway - have a nice day!
    Granted, it sounds too good to be true, but I don't know why someone would pay money to sponsor a forum just for an "April Fools" joke.

I spoke the the forum moderator and the product is legit. You can track the discussion if you like:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2924376&postid=33649780#33649780
    It's kind of like MTV's "Pimp My Ride". Cool. (PS - I don't mind EOS owners posting. We must have some common interests since we ALL want to drop top and ride our whips.)
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Here is a link video for the new module that a company called LCT is designing for the Eos:

http://www.l-c-t.com/LCT/eos_module.html
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Before we get any further off-track here, I'm wondering if you folks know that we have an Eos Discussion here:

Volkswagen Eos

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

I just read a review of the BMW Convertible. Finally a price was mentioned (maybe I missed it in past articles). It is expensive. It's beautiful and like any beemer a dream to drive, according to the review. But wow is it expensive. The 335i base price is about $10K more than the C70's base price. I guess if you got it to burn...
    But the 335i is not in the same league as the C70 T5. It absolutely crushes the volvo in performance. The lesser 3-series will be a much closer competitor ... both in price and performance (as we discussed earlier in the thread).

Still the 328i ("lesser 3-series") base price is $4K more than the base price C70... still more expensive, unless $4K is nothing... maybe true for some. (I'd rather spend $4K on options.) Actually, I'd rather have the money that would allow me to have the attitude that $4k is nothing...
    now that's the price i needed (i thought it would be $40k).

It is going to depend on standard equipment, too, of course. Do you have those details by any chance? Or know where I can get them?

Its potentially good news for Volvo. If you read what I posted here a while back, I was worried that the bmw would be priced the same and really hurt volvo.

Here is where I read the review but it was mostly about the 335i (with a tiny bit about the 328i).

http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/12348/first-drive-2008-bmw-335i-convertible- .html
    thanks for the link.

pricing has yet to be announced, so we'll have to wait to see what happens.

Of course, a key difference is that the bmw is RWD. For some folks, that's worth $4k (and then some).

If the pricing holds true, I think that's just fine. It leaves the volvo in its own little slot for now. Its for those who don't want RWD or the propeller badge and want more than VW has to offer.

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Simply put, if someone wants the bimmer they will spend the extra money to get it.
    The 2 cars appeal to different buyers.
    The C70 customer has more in common w/ the A4 and CLK customer than the bimmer customer.
    interesting perspective. I just can't agree, however, since I would look at the C70 and bimmer, but not the audi or CLK.

Unless you are a badge shopper (which, i admit, many shoppers are), the biggest difference on paper between the 328 and C70 is RWD vs FWD.

Of course, if someone wants the bmw they will spend the extra money.

Yes, but are you going to race the car?
    For the average driver, there isn't any difference in daily driving between FWD and RWD cars.
    You get in the car, commute, get stuck in traffic.
    Sometimes on the weekend you get to open the car up a little, but the average driver doesn't have the skill to exploit even the C70's abilities.
    I think you are absolutely on point here, Volvomax. I have to agree.
    i'm not arguing with you at all. i try to avoid the whole rwd/fwd argument as much as possible, as a matter of fact. I'm just stating what the one big difference is in the 2 cars.

From what I'm seeing right now at this moment, I consider these 2 vehicles competitors. Does the A4 compete? I don't know. Are they coming out with a retractable hardtop A4? I don't pay attention to audi, for the most part. Is the new CLK going to be a retractable hardtop? If it comes it at ~$40k with 220+ hp, then it may be a competitor.

The C70 and 3-series aren't exactly the same, no, of course not. That would be silly. They each have their perceived strengths and weaknesses. If volvo holds a price advantage, that's definitely a plus in its column. Especially where it currently sits. I know there are a group of buyers who have a cap of $40k. Its kind of like searching for a house, you set a limit and, for the most part, nothing above that limit even hits your radar.

The reason that I mention the A4 and CLK is that they are also 4 seat convertibles.
    The people looking at the C70 have them on the list as well.
    More so than the SLK, XLR, SC430, and Eos. The other current Hardtop convertibles.
    Ok, fair enough. What about Saab?

Not even in the picture here.
    PHX isn't a good market for SAAB.
  • rschleicherrschleicher Member Posts: 79
    In my own case, our initial search criteria was for a four-seat convertible. The long list covered a lot of price range, and a lot of wildly-divergent cars: Mustang GT, Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder, Toyota Solara, Pontiac G6, Volvo C70, Saab 9-3, BMW 3-series, Audi A4 Cab., VW Eos. We had a sort of unofficial out-the-door price cap of $50,000, so that left out the Mercedes CLK, and definitely excluded the BMW 6-series convertible.

We decided that we definitely liked the idea of a retractable hard-top, so the short list became the G6, Eos, C70, and the sole rag-top in the short list, the A4. At that time we didn't know about the new BMW 3-series, so it was only the old model. The G6 got ruled out first, for being (to us) a little plastic-y on the inside, although I like the exterior styling, and it would have saved us a lot of money. If the A4 had a retractable hardtop, I think I might have gone in that direction, but the overall package of the C70 won. (The Eos was also very nice, and some aspects of it are arguably better than the C70, but we liked the C70's styling much better. My wife was also bothered by how much the top operation made the car bounce and juggle, while the roof was in motion.)

The new BMW also looks very nice to me, but maybe not enough for what I think the price difference will be. In any case, my wife is the primary driver for our C70 (although I'm driving whenever we're both in the car), and she prefers the C70 styling to the BMW. At most, we are probably only driving the car at "seven tenths", and so FWD is not a real deterrent.
  • redbuzzredbuzz Member Posts: 57
    http://www.carspace.com/videos/play!id=.59cada8b

Found this video - appears to be official BMW footage for eventual use in promos. I think it's a pretty car with the top down, although the back end doesn't really look like a bimmer to me. There is very little footage of the car top up and for good reason, I think. The top looks like one of those bulky hard shell replacements you had to have your friends help you put on in the fall when the drop top season was over. In my opinion, the C70 is a lot more attractive top up than the BMW, and more dynamic top down.
    I really don't like the BMW.

The rear of the car is ugly, the shape of the front seats looks bulky, the shape of the back seats looks unconfortable.

The only thing I would maybe like to have is the front seat belt system which again looks ugly but seems practical on this kind of cars.

So no regret for me, I just did a 360 miles trip the last 24 hours (mostly expressways) with my C70 and it was like a dream, cruise control + music relatively at high volume, heating seat on level 1, A/C on automatic, this is the perfect car for me and I like the look of everybody looking at the car when I pass them. They must think: "What is this car I never saw before?" I really feel like a star...
  • cuccicucci Member Posts: 49
    You ARE a star!!! A star to this forum!!!
    Mais oui!!!
    I agree. I love the C70. The lines, the style, the ride... I love the fact that the number being produced is limited (unlike the BMWs). The limited number will keep the re-sale value up and will keep the C70 unique among cars on the road. It really is a "superstar"!
    Should I start a fan's club?
  • blamb3blamb3 Member Posts: 41
    Just reporting back in after an absence of several months. Have had my manual tranny C70 for 4 months now...live in Wisc. so the top has been down twice. Agree with volvomax, the C70 is fast enough for my use....also....we have had nothing but snow and more snow all winter......the front wheel drive on the C70 has cruised through the snow....I'm amazed at it's ability. This is a great car in every way. I've owned Saabs and Audis....this is a much better car.
  • jecklesjeckles Member Posts: 87
    The new BMW is pretty nice looking. However, we own a 1997 328 convertible and my wife is ready for something new/different.

I consider the two options similar enough to evaluate, but our evaluation eliminated the BMW. Keep in my our evaluation was subjective.

The BMW favors performance (RWD, better weight distribution, etc.). The Volvo favors touring (fwd, softer suspension, etc.). I was able to autocross with our current BMW, but I will not autocross the Volvo... this makes my wife happy. I now have a different car for autocrossing.

Our C70 will be my wife's daily driver and for a daily driver, this car is absolutely fabulous. The versatility of the fwd helped sway our decision.

Also a minor influence was my mood towards BMW has soured over the years. Our car has been excellent, but the dealers were mediocre and the new styles are not to my liking.

The BMW is certainly more competition for the C70 and Eos. I don't see how it can't be.

I believe competition is good for both owners and buyers. Keeps the automakers on their game. Nothing is more irritating than a dealer who thinks they are the only ones with what you want...
  • rschleicherrschleicher Member Posts: 79
    For those who are interested, the US BMW web site (www.bmw.com, then pick US) now has the "build your car" feature running for the new 3-series convertible, with retractable hard-top.

MSRP for the 230hp 328i conv. is $43,200, so about $4K over a C70. MSRP for the 300hp 335i is $49,100, or about $10K over (of course you are getting a much more powerful engine with the 335).

I did a "build it" exercise, to put options on that were more or less like my C70, and the 328i stayed $4-5k more expensive, and broke the magic $50k barrier. The 335i didn't go up quite as much, as some more things are standard on it, ending up $8-9k more than my C70.

Bottom line for me is that seeing the pricing of the BMW has reinforced that I made a good decision in getting the C70. Moreover, with the price difference between the 328i and 335i being only around $4k (when optioned equivalently), I would have a hard time resisting the temptation of the 335i. So practically speaking, getting the C70 saved me $8-9k, not just the $4-5K for the more comparable 328i. (I know that's not logical, but if car buying was just logic we'd all be driving a Toyota Prius.) That said, both BMW models are pretty nicely done.
    I priced out the BMW too...about $3200 more for the 328i equipped about the same. The BMW has a few things the C70 does not and vice versa. For instance, the BMW does not appear to have the side curtain airbags like the C70 and the Volvo's bi-xenon headlights do not turn with the steering like the BMW (and some other Volvos). Interestingly the 328i is rated at 230 hp vs. the 218 for the C70. About $267 per horse. Both cars are about 3800 lbs.
    RWD. For alot of folks, RWD, extra ponies, AND the propeller badge are easily worth a few extra grand.

I have no doubt this car will suck alot of C70 sales away from volvo.

What is alot?
    The C70 isn't going to sell in big numbers anyway.
    It's a niche car.

There is probably going to be a $7-10,000 difference in price between the C70 and the new bimmer.
    For the true believers, they will pay the extra $$ to drive a bimmer.
    For the undecided, it may be enough to steer them to the Volvo.
    the price difference was just posted. It is between $3k and $4k.

I don't think the person needs to be a true believer, honestly. If it truly were a $7k difference, that would be a whole other story. But at $3k, I think you'll loose alot of the "undecided" just because of the badge. For an 8% price difference, I think most uninformed shoppers will feel the added cache of the propeller is easily worth it.

• autoeduautoedu Member Posts: 47
    In a busy downtown area, one restaurant serves German cuisine, another restaurant Swedish specialty. Sure they are in direct competition for your dining pleasure, but both will be busy and prosper with their own clientele.

The Volvo C70 somehow looks sexier, feels more intelligent, and exudes more elegance than the BMW. Their is something different about the smart, understated beauty of Scandanavian design. Once inside a Volvo there is a peaceful comfort that is relaxingly safe, with everything designed for the driver's well-being. Everything is smooth, simple, functional; from the slim center console to the notoriously comfort of the Volvo seat.

The BMW, on the other hand, is a marriage between European style and German engineering. The BMW brand is well recognized, its cars excel in performance, but its design come across as too aggressive and flashy for my taste. The interior is busy and overwhelmed with electronics buttons and controls.

Those who wants to experience the prowness of German engineering will appreciates the performance of BMW.

For others who appreciates the beauty and comfort of Scandanavian luxury and style will enjoy and feel safe in a Volvo.

Personally I like the C70. If I want to experience the performance of German-engineering vehicle, I will save another $15K for a Porsche...if I can afford both that Cayman is just as sexy and beautiful as the C70

• silverspydersilverspyder Member Posts: 9
    I also think the C70 looks better. But a big difference is FWD vs RWD. If you get snow where you live, the C70 is a hands down winner. And one of the reasons I bought the Volvo. :)
    I don't see how.
    I just price a 328ic w/ the same equipment as on a $47000 C70 I got up to $56000 on the Bimmer.
    Yes, the base price is close, but BMW really gets you on options.
    Good luck finding a cheap 328ic.
This discussion has been closed.