Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

CNG Conversion Kits For Other Vehicles?

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited June 2014 in Toyota

Comments

• 1lexigas1lexigas Member Posts: 7
    Greetings,
    I am starting my quest by searching the internet and this appears to be the ONLY active CNG forum.
    If you know of others , please let us know.
    I have corresponded with a fellow in Lithuania that says he is going to get his vehicle converted totally for $1000USD.
    This is for a Dual Fuel vehicle (gasoline and CNG).

Does anyone know of,any USA source for a conversion kit for a Toyota Corolla-have a 2005 drive by wire engine 1.8L.

I have found a couple of companies in Argentina and Brazil that make kits, but whether they would work on the common Toyota Corrolla has yet to be determined.
    AM I barking up the wrong tree here??????
    Has anyone explored the possibility of obtaining the kit and doing the conversion themselves?
    I assume the Honda conversion kit is made overseas (since they are the pioneers of CNG on common vehicles).
    Is this feasible that I can install a kit myself, buy a Phil for home fueling and live happily ever after.
    ANY links, would be appreciated.
    ANY experience or advice would be appreciated.
    I have been batting zero so far and am hoping for sucess rather than just buying the single fuel Honda.
    I have nothing agaist Hondas, I just happen to have a newer Corolla)
    Thanks for any guidance.
  • rstrst Member Posts: 73
    1lexigas:

If you are in Southern California you should try an auction house. They usually have 10-15 bifuels and straight cng vehicles for preview and sale. One of my employees bid on a bifuel Ford (formerly in the UCLA fleet) and took it home. This would be much easier than a conversion. Most of the vehicles at the auction are pickup trucks. Occasionally they have auto cng tanks. I went to the auction to check it out and there was a I-H pickup truck bed with at least 10 3600psi cng tanks (with 2015 "freshness" dates) up for bid. It went for (no kidding) $5.00 for the bed and all. If you are interested I will get you what the Ford went for and the web site of the auction house(s).
  • 1lexigas1lexigas Member Posts: 7
    Sure
    Thanks
    my email is
    compakone@yahoo.com
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    In the late 1980s and early 1990s it was common to convert vehicles especially PU trucks to run on gas or LNG/CNG. In 1993 conversion prices were $4500-$5000. At that time in San Diego there were only a few places to get fuel. When I got ready to do the conversion in about 1996 all the places had gone out of business. One of the downsides is the tank is fairly large for a Corolla sized vehicle. They also have to be inspected on a regular basis. The conversions are not eligible for the HOV lanes in CA. I think you would be ahead to sell the Corolla and buy a Civic GX (CNG) new or used. Then buy a PHILL for your home.
  • vellomikevellomike Member Posts: 1
    I live here in W.V. and have free natural gas piped to my home I'm looking at the pump by Phill that runs for around $4K but I'd like to get a car converted to run on cng first any clues where to find a company that would sell such a thing? the only ones I can find are for small stuff[one barrel] I think I'd like a 4barrel conversion kit any help would be good thanks.
  • bank1avpbank1avp Member Posts: 78
    Vellomike, I have both for you alt fuel vehicle and FMQ2 Fuelmaker pump. WWW.CNGMOTORS.COM

Since you are pumping from a well make sure you also install a filter and a dryer before the gas ends up in your vehicle.

Murphy
  • mlancecolvinmlancecolvin Member Posts: 5
    I'm also looking to convert/buy a CNG vehicle and would also be interested in the different auction houses.

Thanks -

rstilskin@hotmail.com
  • whitewolftribewhitewolftribe Member Posts: 1
    i am interested in doing many conversions and would love to know how to find out about those auctions. thanks
  • daugmandaugman Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone performed the good math on the true cost of a Phill home station? My back of the envelope calcs tell me i don't save much by using; that is, ok, i get nat gas for $1 vs $3 for gasoline, but then i spend $5000 installed for a phill unit that wears down and then needs another $2000 of refurb...so its just like paying more for the fuel since its a variable cost....
  • jetboatjohnnyjetboatjohnny Member Posts: 104
    Installing a Phill was the first thing I was going to do after I got my GX. After realizing how convienient my local 24/7 fuel source was, and doing the math, I figured I can live without one for now.
    I still may get one in the future, you cant beat it for convienience, that may be worth the money for a lot of folks.
    J
  • mcraganmcragan Member Posts: 1
    rst,
    Please post in the thread or email me the auction house web sites. I am trying to find a bi-fuel CNG cargo van.

Thank you!

mcr970@yahoo.com
  • cngusercnguser Member Posts: 59
    This is probably the largest one source of all:

http://autoauctions.gsa.gov/
    Better hurry - GSA is selling off all remaining such vehicles. Beware they may not have CNG fuel in them when you preview at the auctions, so it may be a gamble as to whether or not the CNG systems are working.

There are other dealer sites such as these I have found that resell them when in stock:

http://www.cngmotors.com/

http://www.gobestauto.com/

http://www.cngvehicles.homestead.com/

You may also find some on e-Bay under the search heading for CNG.
  • bank1avpbank1avp Member Posts: 78
    Got two cargo vans for you at www.cngmotors.com
  • sgrindellsgrindell Member Posts: 1
    Own a 2007 4-runner used for deliveries. A working conversion on one 2007 will lead to the rest of the delivery fleet being converted, all 2007 4-runners.
  • mcdougalljmcdougallj Member Posts: 1
    I have a Toyota Highlander that I am interested in converting. How might I go about doing this?

Thanks - Joe
  • bimzeffectbimzeffect Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 Honda Accord Ex. Can anyone please email me on how , where and how much conversion to CNG will cost? I live in Dover DE and gas prizes are simply outrageous.
    Thanks.
    bimzeffect@yahoo.com
  • joppman82joppman82 Member Posts: 1
    you can hook your truck up using this web site mycngkit.com. It will run you about $950 for the conversion kit and another $2500 for the tanks. You could probly find cheaper tanks somewhere. example http://www.cngmotors.com/gal/cng/portfolio.php?cat_id=41. I am so surprised there are not more busines who are bringing nat gas to cars, hell i think it would be a killer business to start. Have a shop that is dedicated to converting cars to nat gas and installing the home pump in the garage ex. the phil from honada
  • thebundothebundo Member Posts: 5
    If any kit isn't EPA certified, it's a HUGE fine
  • droplever1droplever1 Member Posts: 5
    All,
    I am seriously considering building one of the water to hydrogen fuel kits for my '92 Full size Bronco. I will probably do it regardless of feedback, but i'm curious if anyone has tried it???
    with gas @ $3.97 here I dont have much choice other than selling it, and i cant stand the thought of that. i will let you know how it goes
  • dyess5dyess5 Member Posts: 13
    I have one in my 2002 infiniti Q45. You will be pleased. I have better mileage, horsepower, and it runs alot better. I put together a manual on www.makeahybrid.com . it works very well !
  • thebundothebundo Member Posts: 5
    Why are you charging $47 for something the country needs? It's just a few page pdf, not any actual supplies
  • andrewrmartonandrewrmarton Member Posts: 1
    CNG KIT NEEDED for (2002 5.2L Dodge 1500 Van)
  • m196m196 Member Posts: 1
    Regarding non EPA/CARB certified kits, some folks keep calling them illegal. Certainly i can see them being illegal in states that required CARB, but what about states that do not? Are they still illegal on the basis of EPA requirements alone? Is there a federal law that requires EPA certified kits in all 50 states?

Thanks...
  • mostlyharmlessmostlyharmless Member Posts: 5
    We bought a former fleet bi-fuel Cavalier and it's great. CNG is 90.9 cents a gallon here in Oklahoma. We want another CNG vehicle but I want to pick my own and convert it. I would also like to know if it's "illegal" to convert one with a non-EPA/CARB certified kit in Oklahoma. I have thought about taking it to Canada and having it converted, then driving it back. Our insurance agent says you can legally buy a car in Canada and drive it here so it might be possible. Other countries have kits for almost any vehicle you can imagine. The EPA needs to BACK OFF!!
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    ....if my car (1999 Corolla) can be converted to run on CNG and how much it would cost?
    I see nothing has changed in this forum. I still get no replies when I post a message :0(
    The only reply I can give you is the one I received from a CNG Conversion shop in Tulsa, OK. I was told there were no kits for Hondas or Toyotas and probably would never be in the U.S. Our problem here is that the EPA is preventing new kits being brought to market. They require each kit for each vehicle be installed on the vehicle and the emissions checked, then the vehicle has to be run for 100,000 miles and the emissions checked again, before they will allow it to be sold and installed in the U.S. It is so expensive to get the kits to market that most manufacturers opt to only market the ones they are sure will sell, i.e., the ones that fit truck and vans for fleets. Other countries have kits for almost every vehicle built but not the U.S.
    Why is the EPA being so strict about these kits? Do they realize the "N" in CNG stands for "natural" gas and it burns so cleanly you could run the car in the house with no ill health effects? The governement is always so damn quick to stand in the way of progress when it comes to finding less expensive forms of energy.
    ....the EPA thinks the way to justify their existance is by being a huge PITA!
    We need to rise up and tell our Government what we want instead of letting them dictate to us what is good for us. We need to make clear to Congress that they are "representatives" not "leaders"!
  • bd3bd3 Member Posts: 1
    Where did you find the fleet car? That seems to be about the only way to get a CNG car in the US, so I'm trying to find places that sell them.
    Morris Auto in Morris, OK. They have a website, www.gocng.com. The get them from various Government agencies; I believe ours was owned by the EPA in Virginia. There is also a place in Tulsa that does the conversions but, again, the kits are very limited and they have a waiting list. We absolutely adore ours; especially now that gas is near $4 a gallon here. We get 25 miles per gallon whether we're on gasoline or cng so I figure we are getting about 100 miles for the cost of one gallon of gasoline. How can we get across to Ford and GM that we want more of these?? We have very limited fill sites here but it's my understanding that Chesapeake Energy is getting ready to put in a bunch more within the next year. :)
  • joeboo1joeboo1 Member Posts: 1
    this msg is for all in Argentina they have been installing cng kit since 1990
    never have there been a problem in fact i have heard since i moved back from Arg. that 70% of the cars run on cng to install a kit is $200 U.S.and they can do it on any car my friend had a 63 impala that he installed him self he had a shop down there and shops pop up everywhere He said you can install kits on any cars
    there was problems in the beginning with computerized cars but that has been resolved Are main problem Is the EPA AND OIL company that dont let this information reach us and the EPA is A racket and really is unconstitutional
    but anyway i read some where down the line you can go to canada pls. more info
    can we install a kit there or just buy a car I did see i web site MYCNGKIT.COM
    but it looks like in its early stage and from what i was able to see the products come from argentina HUM! and look up galileo cng kits
  • kennyahkennyah Member Posts: 1
    and I don't care if it breaks EPA rules. It's going to be hard for them to find it in my car. We don't have smog checks in the midwest. I'm tired of the oil companies ripping me off. And I'm even more tired of sending my money over to the middle east and venezuela- countries that want to destroy us. When will average Americans stand up and say enough of this b.s? We've got enough nat gas here at home and we MUST stop sending it to these foreign countries. Anybody else agree here? I'm really getting pissed at congress for sitting on their asses and taking their vacations every other month and not doing anything for the average guy here back in the states.
    A friend, in trying to find a conversion for his Honda, found a place in San Antonio that quoted him $4k to convert it. I am waiting on info and links from this friend, if he really has them. I have always wanted to convert an older Honda CRV and, even though I couldn't get the Federal or State tax credits, $4k still sounds reasonable. The ones doing certified conversions are charging around $10k so you would end up paying something like $2,500 in Oklahoma but you would have to front the $10k first. I personally don't have $10k lying around to front.
  • realtorrodrealtorrod Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, Rod in OKC. Been searching high and low for an affordable conversion and can't find one. Can you get me the info on this San Antonio connection? I wonder if that includes the costs of a tank. Thanks!
  • motorhead13motorhead13 Member Posts: 1
    There are a few companies out there that provide kits. I have doing a lot of research on them. The main ones are technocarb and galileo. CNGOutfitters.com is now the US distributor for Galileo (from Argentina). Technocarb is backlogged for several months, but CNGOutfitters has a new shipment of thousands coming in within a week or so. They seem to be the cheapest. They are based out of Utah (where they do installs) but they will be distributing the kits through a national franchise system (through existing install shops) so you could either wait for that to develop in San Antonio, or install it yourself (by buying the kit, and having it shipped to you).

The hard part is finding a CNG tank :cry: , as they are strict regulations on the usage (for good reason). Kits come with instructions, so they can be done, but keep in mind, it will take you about 30 hours to complete everything. :P
  • wjewje Member Posts: 1
    I just found what looks like a good new web site that looks like they have good conversion kits available for all makes of vehicles with infomation available for installation. www.allthingscng.com They did have some prices available with the option of ordering a kit and tank on line which you don't see often. :shades:
  • mgarfiasmgarfias Member Posts: 1
    Where I can find a kit to convert my Mercury villager 1994 to Cng .
    I will appreciate some information

Thanks.

MIKE
  • mr_interfuelmr_interfuel Member Posts: 2
    Gang -

Good luck with conversion kits - thank President Dick Cheney and his War in Iraq for sending the price of kevlar (and consequently the price of CNG tanks) through the roof. A warrantied conversion from a profesisonal operation like Baytech or BAF will cost you at least $10-15K. Do it yourself and you get what you pay for.

I just purchased my third Civic GX yesterday. I have owned a Fuelmaker Phill HRA since 2005. There is no better way to go - not even close. I have annual fuel savings of $3,500 - $4,000 per year driving ~20K miles. Fuel publicly and enjoy a $0.50/GGE tax deduction; fill at home and earn a $0.318/GGE tax deduction. States offer incentives for buying the GX n($3,000 CASH in CA). The price of natural gas has dropped since topping out on my Jul08 gas bill at $1.22/therm commodity charge. This month it's $0.87/therm. What are you waiting for? BUY A GX AND GIVE OPEC THE FINGER. THIS IS AMERICA.
  • latitude500latitude500 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone done business with http://www.thecngstore.com? In talking with them over the phone they seem to know what they are talking about. But has anyone purchased and installed any of there kits? I was wondering about the quality of the kits, and tech support.

Thanks for any info you might have.
  • gubgub Member Posts: 1
    Good for you. I'm in St Louis. Only cng gas station according to the internet is our regional natural gas company, Laclede Gas. Any suggestions how I could get a Civic GX. This filling station is only about 1 mile from where I work. Do you have a Phill at home? Thanks. Bob
  • freedmlfreedml Member Posts: 43
    New you can try to buy from your local Honda dealer fleet dept. Or you can buy long distance from a GX dealer in CA or NY.

Used you can buy on the internet.

I have a Phill. The convenience is great, but the cost and service from Fuelmaker is not. They may refuse to service a unit in your area, but you can look for another model online (FMQ, FM4) and there is probably a Fuelmaker dealer in your area who will service it.
    Once you understand what the system is doing, you will be far less impressed with it (and yourself).

You are using the excess electricity the alternator creates to dissociate the water into H2 and O2 creating 'hot gas' which you can add to your fuel mixture (gasoline or Natural Gas, doesn't matter). As long as you are not putting additional load on the alternator you will see fuel economy go up. If you start putting additional load on the alternator to create more hot gas, you will see fuel economy stay the same or even go down.

Making H2 takes a lot of energy. If the energy is free and available (as some is in your alternator), go to town. But once you have to start paying for it, it is uneconomical.

The most efficient way to make H2 now is from Methane (Natural Gas). It is capital intensive, wastes energy, and no one knows what to do with the CO2 anyway (doesn't bother me, but it bothers the Al Gore afficionados).
  • gottgreengottgreen Member Posts: 1
    We just converted our 2003 Jeep Wrangler to a CNG vehicle...we wrote an article about it with photos and posted it on our website at: www.coachellavalleygreen.com
  • lvmechlvmech Member Posts: 3
    What does Hydrogen proxide(H2O2) have to do with CNG OR the alternator? or did this get posted in the wrong? just want to Know if you are a DEE DA DEE or just real smart,You can super heat H2O2 and puff ssssssssssssssss down the track you go real fasst, want to know what is the connection of the two or 3 or 4 different thangs you are speaking of? This is for #55 of 59. This is not the kind of answer anyone is looking for.
  • lvmechlvmech Member Posts: 3
    Does any body know How long propane and CNG has been in use in The USA as a fuel? I would like to know why do they make it difficult to get a vehicle smoged on a clean burning fuel that has been around for many years. Its safer and less damaging than even the natural corase of polluting the earth.
  • rogerbohlrogerbohl Member Posts: 34
    My '99 CNG Honda suddenly stopped while running, as if fuel starvation. Fuel cutoff was normal. Could not restart. Car has been towed to a Honda GX Dealer. Has anybody experienced this? Cause? :sick:
    most likely cause -- fuel pressure regulator diaphragm went bad. very expensive to replace at Honda, like $1600?
  • coontie66coontie66 Member Posts: 110
    I was asking a friend now 80 about this. He said his dad was using CNG on his drag lines bull dozers and dump trucks in the Orlando FL area in the 50's.
This discussion has been closed.