Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Warning Lights and Trouble Codes

fmurray33fmurray33 Member Posts: 2
edited July 2017 in Dodge
Check Engine light came on Sunday. The code that came up with it was P0440. Does anyone know what this code means. Tried calling the dealer and left a message. Has anyone had this problem?

Comments

• texmillertexmiller Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 dodge Ram 1500 w/ 109,000miles on it. I haven't had any trouble whats-so-ever until just this past week.

I was on my way to get my inspection done and got a ticket for it. As I was driving my engine light came on so I ran to the auto parts store and they read a P1491. So I have done what you guys have said on the replacement of the AC rely - engine light is still on. Took the battery - and + off and then replaced the rely. Still on.
    I talked to the dealer and they said it could be anything. Odd?

So, I have noticed that my AC is not running right at all. It does blow air but when at a light it is moist air and then when driving over 25mph it becomes cold again. I thought I might need to recharge the AC and I had it checked it was okay.

What should I do? What else should I check?
    PLEASE HELP.
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    Check fuse #39. Fuse box is located under the hood,next to the battery.
    Thanks I wrote down what you guys have told other people in the past about fixing a P1491 on a DodgeRam .

1. on-off-on-off-on = worked for me and told me what was wrong.
    2. Checked the fuse #39 - it was broken- replaced it.
    (this still didn't get ride of the engine light.)
    3. Replace my AC rely.
    (this still didn't get ride of the engine light.)
    4. Replace my Rateator rely.
    This fixed everything.
    In total I sent only 20 dollars to fix my truck.

Thank you! :shades:
    Here is a link to all trouble codes. P0440 is listed halfway down the page.
    http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/index.php
    Here is a link to all trouble codes. P0440 is listed halfway down the page.
    http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/index.php
  • fmurray33fmurray33 Member Posts: 2
    I think it was just my gas cap. I got gas on Tuesday night and the MIL light went off Wednesday night. Thank you for your help. I hope that was the problem considering I only have 46,000 on it. ;)
  • ron44ronron44ron Member Posts: 2
    What does code P0442 mean?
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    P0442 = Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

Basically this code means that the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has recorded an event where the fuel tank could not be negatively pressurized (vacuum).

This could be caused by refueling with the engine on, or this vehicle has a leak in the evaporative fuel system. On Dodge trucks the first suspect is usually the fuel cap is either not tighten correctly to 1/4 turn, or defective.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • ron44ronron44ron Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Dusty. Is there somewhere on the web where I can look up PCM codes? Thanks again. Ron
    Ron,

I have a hard list, but I think Bpeebles has a link to a site that lists the codes.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • indistressindistress Member Posts: 2
    Someone please help me! I have a 2005 Ram 1500 4x4 with 5.7L hemi. I have this error, but i don't know how to fix it.
    No one sells the part, but dodge and they want $300 to fix it. I don't even know where it is!!
  • indistressindistress Member Posts: 2
  • msucogmsucog Member Posts: 1
    had the same exact thing happen earlier this week. it sounds like it's a piece of cake to fix. take out two bolts and replace the part. advance auto parts didn't have it...will check around and post where i find it. i don't plan to pay the dealer ship an arm and leg to fix it since i don't like the dealership where i live now. thinking about driving home and letting my original dealer fix it...
  • goaliegoalie Member Posts: 16
    My '01 318 Quad has been nothing but great since new. It now has 100k on it and runs fine. Cruise quit. Switch lites the dash light, which then goes out. I have a code 455...large leak in evap. system....which I assumed could be related, however, I can find no damage to the canister or hoses. nor, do I see a connection between the evap system, and the vacuum to the cruise servo. I assume the speed sensors are good, given that the truck runs fine. Any thoughts out there?
    I have been told that the speed sensor mounted to the rear differential could cause the cruise control to fail.....Anyone ever had to deal with this part?
  • sodell72sodell72 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what code P2175 means, know one around here can tell me anything except it is for the throttle actuator control sys-low airflow detected. Can anyone tell me what this means? And how do I repair it. Thanks,
  • jdthewrenchjdthewrench Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 ram 1500 4x4 5.2l that rapidly misfires accross the board when flooring it while passing or in park. happens at 3500 rpm. new parts: cap,rotor,wires,plugs,cam sensor pick up, crank sensor. exhaust is new from front to back. history codes p0320 and multiplse p300 miss codes. cleared codes. none return, problem still there. Fuel pressure is dead on. problem solved by removing brand new bosch platinum plugs and replacing with ngk!!! Bosch platinum strikes again. now we have to try and return some of these parts.lol
  • rickow1rickow1 Member Posts: 2
    recently had some driving problems that were similar to ones I had in the past. Trouble code would not stay lit so I could scan at first but now it does. P0304 is the code I'm getting which is a cylinder 4 misfire. Last time I had a similar problem the dealer told me they repaired a rocker that had come loose from the valve/push rod. Before I dig into the valve covers does this sound correct? I have had the truck over 2.5 years and I have not replaced the plugs but I cannot remember if the dealer did this last time. I would appreciate some comments and suggestions so I dont have to make another expensive visit to the dealer.
  • crone95crone95 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same code and as yet have not gotten a fix yet.Any info would be appreciated and I will post if I find any info on problem.
  • radarlarryradarlarry Member Posts: 1
    2002 Dodge 1500 w/4.3 V6. Got check engine light and had the code downloaded at Auto Zone. The guy said it was for a loose or defective gas cap. I purchased a new cap and disconnected the neg battery cable for awhile. Light went away.... but came back and has stayed on. What else might cause this? What can I check? I'm no auto mechanic... could it be something simple?

Any help is appreciated!

Larry B.
    Make sure you have the correct cap. There are two used on the '02 and it will make a difference.

Check the vacuum hoses that go from the fuel tank to the Evaporative Canister. A leak anywhere in the system can cause the same code as a loose or defective gas cap.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • rickow1rickow1 Member Posts: 2
    Even if the plugs were changed you could still have a bad one. A weak ignition coil or a dirty fuel injector can trip the same code, especially if its intermittent.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • luckyman1luckyman1 Member Posts: 29
  • luckyman1luckyman1 Member Posts: 29
    my code is p1762 manufacturna control transmission whats this
    CODE 455 Gross leak in evap. system.....Always starts with the gas cap....because its something they can sell you. Check all of the vacuum/evaporative lines. Start at the gas tank....follow the lineover to the canister...follow those lines up to the underhood canister. Somewhere, there is a broken hose and its leaking in air...and reducing the vauum signal...hence, the trouble code.
  • moparblue2moparblue2 Member Posts: 86
    i had same thing happen to me. could not figure it out. took to dealer. they said i have evap. leak. 5 min. later they said i need hose under truck bed on canaster. hose 8.00 dollars labor 60.00 dollars. so if you don't mind getting under truck you can save some money ;)
  • chappy4chappy4 Member Posts: 2
  • chappy4chappy4 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Ram 1500 Big Horn edition 14500 miles, my wife was driving down the road and all of a sudden there was a beeping noise that lasted for about a minute she said. Then it stopped and then came back about 15 minutes later, no warning lights came on and all the guages are showing everything is working fine? any ideas would be appreciated
  • armyrangerarmyranger Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Dodge Ram with a 5.9LT engine, check engine light indicated speed sensor needs to be replaced, so I replaced it. now check engine, ABS and brake light is on, the vehicle runs fine I just want the lights out. Has anyone had this problem and able to point me in the right direction.
  • dlbuehlerdlbuehler Member Posts: 2
    I have a similar problem. Code P0456 comes on after the gas tank drops below half. After I fill it, if I unhook the battery, code goes away until fuel level falls below half again. Is this also related to a vacumn leak?
  • gah74gah74 Member Posts: 1
    Help, I have a 95 Dodge 3500. Has ABS light on. Where is the diagnostics link so I can pull trouble codes. I have already checked and replaced the vehicle speed sensor.
  • lloydsgllloydsgl Member Posts: 3
    i have a 2004 Dodge Ram 5.7L
    The cruise control works fine below 60mph. Once i go above 60, if the cruise is set, it shuts off. If i'm traveling over 60 mph, the cruise lamp will not even turn on.
  • hunter31hunter31 Member Posts: 1
    my check engine turns on if i drive 20+ miles on the interstate but i could drive all over in town and nothing happens. any suggestions?
  • lajal1lajal1 Member Posts: 1
    texmiller - Our 02 1500 RAM has been like that for the past 2 years and we've just went without because we were quoted an outrageous price to replace the whole a/c condensor blower motor & fan etc etc.... I have the same problem, I don't know anything about parts just going to pass this info on to my husband. Can you tell me the name of: fuse #39 and what we would ask for at the parts store for: the rateator rely?

thank you so much..
    laura
  • dmedjmeddmedjmed Member Posts: 2
    Well, let me start from the beginning, my 2005 Dodge Ram overheated and broke on the way to Monterrey, Mexico. we were in the middle of nowhere 22 miles into laredo so we had the truck towed to a mechanic shop and it was our water pump, he fixed it. the truck drove perfectly fine to monterrey and back home to san antonio, texas. during the next two weeks, the truck was fine. On my way to a doc appt sat morning, the truck overheated again and died in the middle of the street so i led it slide into the first parking spot i saw. one of our friends towed it to Ancira Dodge, san antonio, texas but it was closed so he towed me home. Within the next two or three days i called a tow truck and had it towed to Ancira Dodge, San Antonio, Texas. They put it on their diagnostic machine and are charging me 78.00 for that to find out that it was my radiator and it would cost 440.00 because it was not covered under warranty. so that was a big money blow to me but i said fine. Then this serviceman calls to tell me that the radiator blew a gasket and could have blown a head so the estimate was now around 2140.00. They did not call me during the next three days so i called them because i needed my truck fixed. So i tell this man that i am a DJ which we do as a hobby and he sees dollar signs in his eyes. He says, oh that 2140 was just an estimate, if the head is cracked you are looking at thousands more. then he calls to tell me that the heads are fine and they will have the truck ready by Wednesday. Then thursday comes around and he calls and says , we put the truck back together but it is still leaking water from the motor so now it is your short block and you are looking at 6000.00 and that is just an estimate. WOW!. these servicemen get around 10% commission on service jobs. so the short block is not covered under warranty either. :(

please comment back and let me know if i have a chance fighting this, this is a 2005 dodge ram still new. 41,000 miles. it has a 70,000 mile power train warranty.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Get it to another dealer for a second opinion.

kcram - Pickups Host
    I agree with kcram, get a second opinion and if you don't agree with the service manager, ask to speak with the owner of the dealership
  • buffon72buffon72 Member Posts: 1
    chappy4 did you find out what was wrong?
  • ramman3ramman3 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 dodge ram1500 hemi; can someone tell me how to access the trouble codes?
    Go on ebay and buy a Creader.....its a brand of code reader....very inexpensive, and works just fine. Codes are available all over the net.
    that code refers to the overdrive system.......switch wiring is faulty....or trans fluid is low, in which case, od will not automatically engage.
    Try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes, to clear the ecm memory.......
    I have all the codes .I had a 04 Stratus and was able to get the code by turning the key off –on, off-on, off-on, the number then would come up
    where the mileage is. The truck has a different sequence. There is a way to get the numbers without the reader.
    You just need to know the sequence ,That’s want I am looking for.
    The sequence is (lock) - on-off-on-off-on. I pull the codes on my 2005 Ram 3500 with no problem that way.

kcram - Pickups Host
    What do you mean by (lock) I understand the rest.
    P0157 - HO2S Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2
    The "lock" position where the key would be removed.